[From Manx Quarterly #17 - Oct 1916]


Died May 31st 1916,

Mr Robert Jacob Kelly, senior representative of Athol Ward on the Douglas Town Council, died at his residence, — No. 3 Strathallan Crescent, Douglas, on Wednesday, May 31st. Up, to a few weeks ago Councillor Kelly enjoyed excellent health, but a seizure of illness confined him to the house, and notwithstanding assiduous medical and nursing care, he gradually grew worse, until he passed away. Councillor Kelly was the only surviving son of the late Mr John Kelly, of Broadway and Castle-street, Douglas, on whose death he and his sister inherited considerable house property in Douglas. Councillor Kelly was a builder by trade, and he erected several fine houses on Douglas sea front and in the immediate neighbourhood. In the year 1904, Mr Kelly was elected to represent Athol Ward on the Douglas Town Council, and he continued a member o£ the Council until 1908, when he was defeated by Mr W. F. Cowell, H.K., in the course of a contested election. A year later he was again returned to the Council for Athol Ward, and continued his membership up to his death. By his fellow-members of the Council he was much esteemed and respected. He was indefatigable and zealous in. his discharge of municipal duties, and was a most regular attendant at meetings of the Council and of committees of the Council. He served by the way on all the standing committees of the Council during his career as a member, and had been chairman of most of them at one time or other. In private life Councillor Kelly was a most popular and sociable gentleman ; his good humour was unfailing, and he keenly enjoyed a joke, even when it was at his expense. He was a widower, and had one child, a daughter, who is married is resident in England. Councillor Kelly was born in Douglas 61 years ago. The funeral of the late Councillor J. Kelly took place on Saturday morning and was well attended. Most of members of the Douglas Town Council were present to pay their last tribute respect to their late colleague. The members of the Council formed in procession and followed the hearse from Strathallan Crescent, where Councillor Kelly lived along the Promenade and up Broadway. The interment was at Braddan Cemetery The chief mourners were Messrs James Kewley, J. E. Kay, R. T. Lewin, T. C Hinds, and R. G. Shannon. The Town Council was represented by the Mayor (Councillor D. Flinn), the Town Clerk (Mr A. Robertson), Aldermen J. Craine, R. Corlett, R. D. Cowin, and D. Gray; Councillors W. Knox, T. G. Kelly, W. Quirk, W. J. Parkes,, F. Gale, J. Kelly (Christian-road), J. Kelly (Stanley-view), D. Collister, E. Carrin, J. J. Quine, and R. C. Cain; Tramways Manager (Mr S. Robinson). Amongst others present were Messrs M. Carine, H.K., R. Clucas, H.K., W. F. Cowell, H.K., W. Joughin, M. Creer, W. N. Oates, W. Ashburner, J. W. Sayle, H. Brearley, S. K. Broadbent. A. Gill, J. P. Smith, D. Kelly, J. J. Spence, and W. Clague. The Rev H. S. Taggart conducted the service for the burial of the dead.


Died May 28th, 1916,

Throughout the Isle of Man, the death of Mr John J. Davidson, jeweller and watchmaker, which took place on Sunday May 28th, will be deeply regretted. A gentleman of unblemished reputation and deep religious convictions, Mr Davidson was both respected and esteemed by all who knew him, while by his circle of intimate friends he was held in deep affection. For some considerable time he had been in failing health, but up to quite recently there, was nothing to indicate that his end was near. However, about three weeks ago his condition became much worse, and his passing at his residence, Epworth House, Peel-road, Douglas, occasioned no surprise. He was 74 years old, and until long past three score years and ten he carried his age remarkably well. Mr Davidson, as manager for the Midland Watch Company, carried on a large jewellery business in Douglas at the corner of Victoria-street and Duke street. His first shop was in Duke-street, in partnership with the late Mr Holden, under the name of Holden and Davidson, in the shop now used by Mr Minton. He was very intimately connected with the work of the Wesleyan Church in the Douglas circuit. He was the senior local preacher on the plan, and had filled all the offices in the circuit open to a layman. He was for a short time a member of the Douglas School Board. some thirty years ago. He leaves a wife (who is a sister of Mr W. M. Kerruish) and two sons and two daughters, and an aged sister, Miss Davidson.


The remains of the deceased were removed from his residence, Epworth House, Peel-road, on Wednesday morning, at 11 o'clock, proceeding by way of Athol-street to the Wesleyan Church. Victoria-street. The chief mourners were: — Masters Alexander and William Davidson, sons; Mr W. M. Kerruish, brother-in-law; Mr Job. Qualtrough, H.K., Mr R. H. Green, Mr T. Grindley, and Master Grindley, cousins, Among others present we noticed: — The Revs Canon Kermode, John ' Davidson (Presbyterian), Henry Williams, J. Wesley Hetherington, and P. A. Inman; Messrs J. T. Cowell (Receiver-General, Alex. Robertson (Town Clerk) ; Aldermen R. Corlett, J. T. Faragher, J. Craine; Councillors F. Gale, A. B. Crookall, J. J. Corlett, E. Corrin ; W. Joughin (ex-Mayor), Ramsey B. :Mare, E. H. Fargher, R. Clucas, M.H.K., R. F. Douglas, J. E. Douglas, T. Champion, Wm. Goldsmith, S. K. Broadbent, R. G. Fargher, R. H. Collister, C. H. Kay, T. Barwell, T. J. Halsall, W. H. Wilkin, W. J. Coole, G. Hough, G. Green, T. H. Rovston, T. W. Kelly, W. Allen, John Corkill. W. Caley, Jas. Kewley, A. Stead, J. A. Sutcliffe, W. Thompson, R. Cottier, John Holmes. Walter Grindley, P. Kelly, J. J. Spence, W. Quire, A. C. Lewthwaite, J. J. Cowley, E. Quaggin, J. C. Radcliffe, T. H. Cannell, G. Whittaker, J. Cubbon, F. Nicholson, E. C. Quine, J. Cain, R. Roberts, T. Shimmin, H. Shimmin, T. Corlett, W. Clucas, W. Watterson, W. Kelly, W. F. Duke, D. Corrin, T. S. Corlett, Inspector Corlett, S. C. Hulme, Walter Radcliffe, T. S. Aylen, J. E. Clegg, W. G. Cubbon, M. Hampton, T. Sale, R. Creer, H. Ward, T. W. Creer, E. Bridson, T. Quine (Ballachrink), J. Cain (late Inspector of Police), W. Kaneen, E. Quine (Woodbourne-square), W. Craine, C. Blair, T. Costain, W. Stephenson, W. Cowin (Crosby), T. J. Cowley (Eyreton), J. Fargher (Union Mills), Mrs Kneen (Bethel), Adjutant Bourne (Salvation Army). Two old veterans — Messrs R. Cottier and Caesar Kermode — who were present at the funeral, were associated with Mr Davidson when the Union Mills Sunday-school was opened.


The introductory sentences of the service were read by the Rev H. Williams, after which the hymn " Jesus, the very thought of Thee" was sung. The lesson was read by Rev P. A. Inman, following which Rev H, Williams said the death of Mr Davidson removed from their midst a familiar figure. So far as he knew, Mr Davidson took no prominent public position, apart from a period when he served on the Douglas School Board, but he was widely known and, what was better still, held in high regard. He took it the presence that morning of such a large number of people was a sincere tribute to a man of whom everybody said, " He was a good man." Those who had known him long and intimately testified that he was the exemplification of goodness. He learned from the public Press that Mr Davidson's great-grandmother was a convert of John Wesley himself, and was converted during one of the fruitful visits John Wesley paid to the Isle of Man. Many of them would be glad to have a tie of that sort with the great founder of Methodism. Mr Davidson was converted in youth. He thought that was the term Mr Davidson would have liked him to use if he could speak to him. And from the time he was converted his allegiance to Christ and his faith in God never faltered, and from his earliest days he gave diligently and ungrudgingly to Christ's service. He took a deep, deep interest in the work of the Sunday-school connected with his own church and other churches. and he was delighted to think that Mr Davidson began his public work as a Sunday-school teacher. For a number of years lie walked from Douglas to Union Mills each Sunday in order that he might assist in the work of moral and religious teaching at that place. For a great number of years be occupied a position on the local preachers' plan, and at the time of his death he was the senior local preacher on the Douglas Circuit Plan. He (Mr Williams) thought it should be admonitory to them that in the last twelve months they had lost three of their senior local preachers. As a preacher, Mr Davidson stood by what might be termed the old land marks. He might almost say that Mr Davidson was a conservative in this respect. He believed in the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and he preached it with fervour and efficiency. There were many in the Island who were able to bear testimony that his preaching was an instrument in the hands of God for their salvation. As a Methodist of the old school, he was delighted to find that Mr Davidson cherished an unfaltering faith in the sanctification in life. It was a belief after the type so intensely loved and enthusiastically preached by John Wesley himself. It was sometimes termed the Higher Life, but the scriptural term was Holiness. He had been cheered to notice this as well: When Mr Davidson went out into the country to preach — and where had he not preached in this Island of ours? — he used to spend the hours between the morning and evening services in visiting aged people and those with whom be became acquainted during the long series of years he was a preacher. Mr Davidson was a. most devoted servant of Jesus Christ, and he proved to the very end the triumphant nature of the grace of God. He triumphed in life and he triumphed gloriously in death; and while they mourned his loss as a servant of Christ and the Church, they rejoiced because he had given ample proof of the power of the Gospel. — which he preached. He supposed Redfern's Mission would miss him very, very sadly. He would also be missed at Thomas-street, where he was a class leader, and. indeed, in every department of their church, in which he took such a profound interest. But in Redfern's Mission he found a, cause that was very near his heart, and members of Redfern's Mission would no doubt mourn his departure with very deep regret. As he concluded his testimony to the worth of the life and works of Mr Davidson, he besought the younger men to be baptised in faith, so that they might render service similar to Mr Davidson's and be brought to similar triumphs in life and death. On the last occasion when he visited Mr Davidson, he said: " I have seen a vision of the Father, and the Father said to me, ' I gave you to the world seventy-four years ago. Now I want you to come back to Me.' I heard that voice distinctly, and I said, 'Father, I am coming!' " And it was in that spirit that Mr Davidson triumphed; and while they were assembled there mourning his loss, they rejoiced that he was in the Presence of Christ. Who was his Redeemer, his Lord and his Master.

The hymn, " Give me the wings of faith to rise," was then sung. The Rev J. W. Hetherington offered appropriate prayer, and while the congregation dispersed Miss Kelly played on the organ Mendelssonn's " O rest in the Lord." The cortege then proceeded to the Borough Cemetery, where the service at the graveside was performed by the Rev H. Williams and his colleagues.


At the request of the Editor of 'Mona's Herald," who feels that a biographical sketch of the life of the Senior Local Preacher on the Douglas Methodist Plan. would be an inspiration and a help to others, I. undertake the task, feeling it an honour, but regretting my inability to do justice to our deceased brother's memory. Having been closely associated with him for a number of years, I knew that anything in the shape of fulsome eulogy would have been distasteful to him. I pray forgiveness if in any way I fail to observe that modesty of expression which he would have desired me to give place to.

John J. Davidson was a child of many prayers. His father was a local preacher and class leader in the days of the early forties, when Douglas and Castletown were one circuit. His great grand mother was a convert under the preaching of John Wesley on one of his visits to the Island. At the age of six years John Davidson was bereft of his father.

The best that a man has is himself and his young undefiled life is himself at his best. When thirteen years of age, under the influence of the late Henry Johnson, and during revival services conducted by the late Rev. Isaac Marsden, at Thomas Street Chapel, John Davidson gave his young heart to God. He became a teacher in the Sunday-school. until he was asked one Saturday afternoon by the young minister of the circuit to go to Union Mills to start a Sunday school. For ten years, every Sunday he went to Union Mills in company with other young men, to labour for his Master. The story of his efforts there are, recorded in his "Reminiscences," which have afforded delightful reading in the various numbers of the local " Methodist Record."

During this time the late Thomas Cowin, schoolmaster, said one Sunday afternoon, "John, you are to preach here tonight." He was much surprised, but retired to a corner of the chapel to think and pray over it. He felt that his late father touched him and said, "Go on John," and that decided him he was called to preach. He thought that every unconverted person that night ought to have yielded to his appeal, preached from the text, "Come unto me," but his expectations were not realised. Undaunted, he continued to preach with increasing acceptance and ability for fifty-three years. It is on record that neither wind nor rain, or any other cause, kept him from fulfilling his appointments.

During a series of services conducted in the old St. James's Hall by the late Dr and Mrs Palmer, in which they preached and emphasised the great theme of Holiness, Mr Davidson acted as their secretary. Under their preaching he entered into the glad experience of "entire sanctification," and henceforth to him it was a joy to proclaim to others the fulness of the salvation provided by the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. He consistently and constancy emphasised the definite view of Holiness which Mr Wesley taught, and urged others to believe and enter into that great experience. All who knew him intimately believed in him, and he was the means of guiding others into the enjoyment of the "Second Blessing."

In the early clays of the temperance cause, when contempt and scorn and often abuse were poured upon the efforts of those who preached "teetotal," John Davidson took his stand with those pioneers; the late Henry T. McIver, Parson Cane, T. Cubbon, and others.

In the "Reminiscences" referred to he tells the story that when he was appointed Poor Steward at Thomas Street he approached the "Super." on the subject of the use of non-intoxicating wine at the Lord's Supper. "Didn't I get a glistering," were his words. But he lived to see all the Methodist Chapels of the Island use only unfermented wine in the Sacrament Services . To the sick and dying whatever their circumstances in life, he was a most welcome visitor. On his country appointments no Sunday was complete without visits being paid during the interval of morning and evening service to the sack and the raged, who were detained from attending the public worship.

Few men, ministerial or lay, knew the Bible as did John Davidson. While many could garnish a sermon with an illustration from Carlyle or a quotation from Shakespeare, he could always final an apt illustration from the Sacred Book, sometimes from the least known portions of God's Word, and if poetry were needed to quote, the wealth of the Wesleyan Hymn Book was constantly at call, particularly those hymns which had reference to the theme he specially delighted to preach from, in the section entitled "Consecration and Holiness," "For Believers Seeking Full Redemption." He was a deep reader of Theology, and was steeped in the story of the lives of the early Methodist preachers. It had been his wish and desire as a young man to take up the work of a Methodist preacher, and he hall answered an appeal of the then President of the Canadian Conference to labour in pioneer work in Nova Scotia, but the claims of a widowed mother compelled him to relinquish that call, although immediate ordination had been promised.

Methodism has produced many noble and lovely characters who in the quietness of their ordinary everyday vocation shed a fragrance around that brings joy to others. The writer has had many opportunities to enjoy the companionship of John Davidson, and never once can it be said that an unkind word was spoken of any brother preacher, lay or ministerial. If testimony of character were needed, surely this is one. It was the writer's gracious privilege to converse with him a day or two before his death. and his injunction to "preach Holiness, a full salvation, such as he believed Christ came to procure, a salvation from the guilt of sin and from the power of sin," will ever remain a precious memory.

Manx Methodists will be especially touched, that notwithstanding the limited time and pressing duties of the Conference representative to the Insular Synod, the Rev. Dinsdale T. Young made it possible to visit John Davidson on what proved to be his deathbed. Mr Young has by this gracious action endeared himself more than ever to Insular Methodism.

On the conclusion of fifty years' preaching, the brethren of the Douglas Circuit presented Brother Davidson with an illuminated address. The pleasure given was such that hearts were overcome on the occasion of the presentation, and he was unable, through stress of emotion, to convey all that his heart felt on that dray. Earth is the loser, Heaven the gainer by his death. In the words of Charles Wesley, we

Rejoice for a brother deceased.
Our loss is his infinite gain.

"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord, they rest from their labours, and their works do follow them."

O may we triumph so
When all our warfare's past,
And eying find our latest foe
Under our feet at last

We commend to the care of the Gracious Father of us all, his wife and children and his sister, believing that the God of all comfort will not leave then, comfortless.


Our respected townsman, John James Davidson, passed to his reward on Sunday morning, May 28th, at 5-30. He was a worthy townsman, who bad won the respect of all who knew him. The sincerity of his Christian life was expressed in an implicit faith in God, kindled with a calm religious emotion. With unwearied service and self-sacrifice he sought to lead others to share the "Kingdom of Righteousness, Peace, and Joy."

As a local preacher in the Wesleyan Methodist Church he gloried in preaching the Gospel. For 53 years, through storm and sunshine, year in, year out, ho never neglected all appointment, and coveted the honour to minister to half-a-dozen pious souls in some little sanctuary far away among the hills of Manxland. He possessed the treasure of Christian experience, and one of the most sacred hours of the week was spent in his class meeting; at Victoria-street Church, where he held sweet fellowship with his class members. For many years he was the lay pastor and superintendent of Redfern's Mission, in Fort-street. There by prayer and sympathy and kindly ministrations, he brought together those who were unreached by other churches that they might be partakers with him of the riches of the Gospel message. No one can calculate the amount of time and thought he gave to the interests of the "Local Preachers' Mutual Aid," and that beneficent institution has lost in Mr Davidson the Island's most powerful advocate for the claims of neeemitous local preachers. In this branch of church work he was in labours abundant. In the early years, Mr Davidson was superintendent of Union Mills Wesleyan Sunday-school, and since that period he has held almost every office in the Wesleyan Methodist Church open to a layman. Beyond the work which held the first place in his affections, he loved his town, always seeking to preserve what was good and to promote any reform which would be for the highest interests of the community. In education matters he was a pronounced Liberal, and held office in the School Board of Douglas in the stormy period when the reactionaries fought t.,a disfranchise the children of Douglas of their educational rights. Unknown to many John Davidson was a man with a distinct natural artistic taste in colour and decoration. We have been told his signature was the finest example of good penmanship that came into the Insular ranks. Unostentatiously he went about his work each day with quiet grace and unfaltering fidelity. Loving what was spiritual and eternal, religiously consecrated to what he felt was the highest and best, he nevertheless did not separate himself from human interests. He found delight in the innocent, the playful, and the humorous on life's pathway, and was farseeing and practical an committee work. He desired to work to the end of the day. His wish has been granted, and with that calmness which characterised his life he has bidden us "Farewell!" ; and has entered his well-earned rest. A servant who was busily occupied, at all times in the Lord's work, knowing that his toil would not be fruitless in the Lord.


Mr Davidson was among my first friends when I came to Douglas from the Western city fifty years ago last April, and he early impressed me with his simple and sincere religion. Methodism in Douglas then was concentrated in the two older chapels. as they were then always called, and the congregations were always large, particularly at Thomas-street. Mr Davidson and many young men were in constant attendance at the Mutual Improvement Society which started under the Rev Albert Bishop, and we studied at first Watson's 'Theological Institutes," and laboriously read week by week the first: volume. Then we took to essay writing, the subjects being mostly religious, Mr Davidson gradually taking less interest in the society as the subjects became more mundane. I have travelled many Sundays to the South of the Island with Mr Davidson. Our visits were looked upon as events, for we were from Douglas, but we were the gainers by contact with the simple emotional piety and devotion to be found in the little places of worship dotted so plentifully in the South of the Island. He was not a fluent speaker, and had none of the tricks of the orator, but if ever a man spoke from his heart he did, and everyone felt he was good. The books he drew on for his sermons were the Bible, Wesley's Seasons, and Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress, and he did not believe at all in the New Theology. During the strife which took place in the Douglas Circuit when the late Rev Theophilus Talbot was appointed, and some were for him and some against him, Mr Davidson, among many others, espoused the Talbot cause. and was prepared to go to great lengths in support of than much-misunderstood minister. But the Lawtonites prevailed. and Mr Talbot left the Methodist ministry and joined that of the Church of England. I don't think Mr Davidson had an enemy. He went the even tenour of his way. It seems like yesterday since he went up and down Victoria-street, and now the place shall know him no more.



Died March .5th, 1916.

Mr Wm. Gawne passed away at his residence, Eastfield, Douglas, on March 6th, at the age of 63. He had not been well for some time, but the end came rather unexpectedly. Born at Pistard, he was a son of the late Mr Thomas Gawne. He was apprenticed to the late Mr Richard Watterson, draper, Castletown, and later conducted a drapery business at Port St. Mary. Emigrating to America 33 years ago, he carried on an extensive drapery and dry goods store in Minneapolis and in Chicago. Of keen ability and genial disposition, his business life was characterised by integrity and devotion to duty, and he earned the goodwill of all with wham he had dealings. He retired from business three years ago, on a competence, and took up his abode in Douglas. The late Mr Gawne has, we understand, left a handsome bequest-amounting to £600 to the Vicar and wardens of Rushen for the provision of almshouses in the. parish. He leaves a, widow (a daughter of the late Mr Edward Cowley, of Port St. Mary) and one son. Douglas, aged nine, to mourn his loss. The funeral. tool; place at Rushen Churchyard on Wednesday, the last rites being feelingly conducted by the Rev Canon Leece. There was a large attendance to pay the last token of respect to one who was held in high regard. Amongst the mourners we noticed Mr and Mrs Maddrell. of Liverpool, and several members of the World Manx Association, of which Mr and Mrs Gawne were active members.


Died April 21st, 1916.

The funeral of the late Mrs Janet Kelly, of 210 Stanley-street, Accrington, widow of the late Mr Fred Kelly, took place at the Accrington Cemetery on Monday, April 24th. She was a daughter of the late Mr Joshua Broughton, china merchant, of Dale-street, Ramsey. Mrs Kelly was well-known in Accrington, where she has lived for a number of years, being connected with Jacob-street Mission Hall, and was an earnest Christian worker. A member of the Manx Society she ways one of the founders of the Accrington branch. Representatives of Jacob-street and the Manx Society walked in front of the hearse to the cemetery. Pastor Mawer, along with the Rev J. H. Cretney, conducted the funeral. A large number of floral tributes were sent by relatives and friends, including; the Accrington and District Manx Society. Jacob-street Mission, and her nephews. Messrs W. P. and Stanley Cain. R.N.R. The mourners were : — 1st Carriage : Mr J. Broughton. Mr W. Broughton. Mr R. Broughton, Mr .T. L. Broughton. Mr and Mrs Meyer ; 2nd Carriage — Mrs J. Braughton. Mrs W. Broughton. Mrs R. Broughton, Mrs. Broughton. Mr Kelly. Mrs Cardwell ; 3rd carriage — Mr Banks, Mrs T. M. Phillipson. Mrs Jesson. Mrs Wade. Miss Teare. Mrs R. Foote : 4th carriage — Miss Corrin, Miss Smale. Rev J. H. Cretney. Pastor Mawer. Mrs Lord. Mrs Crawford. The bearers were Messrs. J. M. Phillipson, E. Crawford. Jesson, and Foote,


Died June 24th, 1916.

The news that Mr Samuel Watterson, baker and confectioner, had passed away at his residence, Mount Falcon, Victoria-road, came as a shock to many people in Douglas and other parts of the Island last Saturday, June 24th. He had but a short illness of less than a week's duration, and the severity of the attack was unknown to those outside the immediate family circle. Mr Watterson was born at Port St. Mary some 74 years ago. Following in the footsteps of his father, the late Mr Mark Watterson, he was a. baker by trade, and in young manhood spent a short time in Liverpool, improving. Subsequently he built and occupied the bakery now in the occupation of Mr W'. H. Gell, Athol-street. Port St. Mary, where his business career was enterprising and successful. With his brother, the late Mr Dan. Watterson, he started a mineral water manufactory, over thirty years ago, on the property known as the Pop houses, Chapel Beach. For some time he successfully farmed a portion of the Port St Mary Farm estate. He also took great interest in the fishing industry in its palmy days, being part-owner of several fishing vessels and coasting steamers. Mr Watterson joined with Mr G. L. Trustrum and the late Mr Thos. Clague in acquiring the Calf of Man, when they opened it up as a visitors' resort. It did not prove a lucrative undertaking. Mr Clague eventually became sole proprietor, and in 1911 the latter gentleman sold the islet to Mr Samuel Haigh, of Huddersfield, the present owner. Mr Watterson served several terms on the Rushen School Board and Port St. Mary Commissioners, relinquishing these positions when he left the district for Douglas in 1902. In local government affairs he held progressive views, and supported all schemes for the betterment of his native district, where he was a fairly large property-owner. Mrs Watterson survives, as do also five sons and four daughters.

The funeral took place on Wednesday, interment being at the Borough Cemetery, Douglas. The chief mourners were: — Messrs Wilfred. Melvin, and Cecil Watterson, sons; Mr C. M. Watterson, Mr . E. Teare, sons-in-law; Mr W. Quayle, M.H.K.. Mr H. Quayle, Mr W. Kneen, brothers-in-law ; Messrs R. Killip, C. H. Cowley, G. B. Kermode, E. Clague, T. Clague. .

The large attendance included many old friends from the South of the Island and representatives of the Master Bakers' Association. The high regard in which Mr Watterson was held was further shown by the many beautiful floral tokens surmounting the coffin, including a handsome wreath from the association already named. The last rites were read by the Rev J. W. Hetherington.


Died April 7th, 1916.

Mr Frederick Kelly, formerly of Kimberley, and a native of Laxey, Isle of Man, died at Johannesburg, on April 7th. He had resided in South and South-East Africa for thirty-five years. Mr Kelly, who was a prospector, had lately been living in Portuguese East Africa. He was taken ill there, and in order to obtain better medical treatment and more favourable surroundings, went to Kimberley towards the end of last year. He afterwards removed to Johannesburg and underwent there an operation which unfortunately. was not attended with success. Mr Kelly, up to a few years ago, was a frequent and prolific contributor to the columns of the " Isle of Man Examiner." He had a facile pen and a literary style of considerable merit. His contributions combined vivid descriptions of South African life and racy humour, while when so moved he wrote very graceful verse. An outstanding piece of work by him set forth his adventures when prospecting in Madagascar. He was one of the pioneer prospectors in Rhodesia, and his general acquaintance with South African countries was remarkable for width and closeness. Particularly had he in unusually intimate knowledge of Boer life.


Died June 4th, 1916,

A highly respected Douglas tradesman, in the person of Mr John Kelly, builder, was removed by dearth on June 4th. Mr Kelly, who was 78 years old, resided at Laureston-terrace, and during his closing years he had a retired life. At one time, however, he was one of the busiest men in the town, and during the great building booms he tools a very important part in constructive work. By trade he was a mason, and he in this capacity was responsible for the stone and brick work in connection with the erection of many of the finest residential and business premises in Douglas. These included several houses on the Loch Promenade, also the Masonic Hall, while he undertook building operations on an extensive scale in the upper part of the town. Mr Kelly was for a great many years a member of the Mona Lodge of Oddfellows, and served in all the chief offices in that lodge. For forty years he was a great supporter of and constant attendant at St. Thomas's Church; and he served for many years as a sidesman. His recreations were bowling and gardening, and he was very successful in following up each of these hobbies. Mr Kelly was highly respected by all who knew him for his sterling honesty and commonsense and his kindliness of manner. Though of a rather quiet, retiring disposition. he had a host of friends. For a few years he served as a member of the old board of Douglas Town Commissioners, and rendered good service on the Improvement Committee; but lie retired from office before the incorporation of the borough in 1895. Mr Kelly leaves a widow surviving, and several grown-up sons and daughters. The funeral tool: place on Thursday morning, and was largely attended. interment was at Douglas Borough Cemetery.


Died July 24th, 1916,

Mr Henry William James, born at Douglas, July 24th, 1834, died suddenly at his Zwolle Estate, Verulum, Natal, on Monday, May 29th. The deceased gentleman was one of a large family, and all his brothers and sisters pre-deceased him by many years, leaving no families. He was the son of Hugh Thomas James, M.D., of Thornborough House, Cumberland, and of Carmine Anne, daughter of Dr Franklin, headmaster of Harvard Blue Coat School. Sent to sea at an early age, the deceased gentleman spent ten years in the merchant service. during which he made several voyages to Port Natal in the good ship " Good Hope," of which he was first mate. About the end of 1851, Mr James settled in Natal. and in the following year was appointed station-master at The Point, Port Natal, and on a railway notable as being the first built in South Africa, Three years afterwards the Natal Government appointed Mr James superintendent of roads, a position he held for the long period of thirty-two years. Retiring on pension in 1894, Mr James, still active at sixty, took up farming and fruit-growing at Zwolle, near Perulam. There, indeed, he and his family lived for upwards of fifty years. In 1862 the deceased gentleman married Miss Mary Harvy Hugman, and he has now left her a widow with three sons and one daughter. The sons are Capt. H. T. James, .J.P., of Prospect Estate, Melmoth; Mr C. R. James, manager Zwolle Estate; and Mr G. F. James, sugar planter, Tongaat. The daughter is Mrs Francis Emily Sherratt, of East London. Cape Province. Mr Sherratt is well-known as the manager of the Imperial Cold Storage and Supply Co., at the Buffalo River seaport. The late Mr James was one of the besttype of colonists and was much esteemed.


Died July 30th, 1916,

Mr William James Radcliffe,.J.P., one of the representatives in the House of Keys of Ayre Sheading, died at his residence, Ballaradcliffe, Andreas, early on Thursday, July 30th. The deceased gentleman, who had passed three score and ten, was prostrated some months ago with severe illness, and though he recovered sufficiently to get out and about again, his condition remained very weak. A man of great courage and indomitable will, he persisted, notwithstanding his failure of health, in discharging his legislative, magisterial, and other public duties; indeed he was present at the last Tynwald Court and took part in the taxation debate, while almost to the end he took his turn on the Bench at Petty Sessions. He came of a. fine old yeoman stock, and was exceedingly proud of the fact. The Radcliffes of Ballaradcliffe were entered on the Manorial Rolls in respect of their holding in 1511. and have remained on the roll ever since. That the family originally came from Lancashire there can be no doubt. and the great probability is that they originally formed part of the entourage of Sir John Stanley progenitor of the Earls of Derby. when that warrior-statesman received a grant of the Kingship of Man from the then King of England some five hundred years ago. Mr Radcliffe was a bachelor, and is succeeded in Ballaradcliffe by his younger brother. A Conservative in politics, Mr W. J. Radcliffe was first elected to the House of Keys in 1911. He gave a modified support to the Constitutional Reform programme. but was a. strenuous opponent of the movement for re-adjustment of the incidence of taxation, and generally was an out and out champion of the landed interest. He was a Wesleyan Methodist of the old type in religion. but was a firm supporter of what he conceived to be the rights of the Established Church. For many years he was a local preacher. and his services were much in demand in connection with the religious celebration of Sunday-school anniversaries-he was, in fact, appointed to Bride for the Sunday which followed his death. He took a prominent part in the recruiting movement soon after the outbreak of war, and addressed many meetings with a view to obtaining soldiers. In private life he was a most genial and kindly gentleman, and had a considerable fund of humour. He leaves a sister and two brothers, one of the latter being abroad.

On Monday, the funeral of the late Mr William J. Radcliffe took place at Kirk Andreas. There was a very large attendance, and an immense concourse assembled at Ballaradcliffe, the ancestral seat of the deceased gentleman, including members of the House of Keys, Highway Board, parishioners and townsfolk, also the children of the parish. Amongst those present were the Speaker of the House of Keys and the following members:-Col- Moore, Messrs Garside, Cunningham. Carine, R. Clucas, Crennell, ('oa111cxle. T. F. Quine. A Christian, J. R. Kerruish, E. J. Curphey, W. C. Southward, R. S. Corlett, Capt. Kitto, and Mr R.. D. Gelling (secretary); Mr R. H. Ccilcbin (Secretary, Highway Board). Mr AV. 1~. Kay (Surveyor-General of Highways). Others present were Messrs C. Quayle. T. Allen, AA". J. Corlett, C. H. Kee, R. C. Gale, 11'. Kelly, J. J. Christian, J. B. Burke, AV. L.~ Radcliffe, W. Cowley, A. Cottier, AA'. E. Kee, James Dugdale, S. W. Anderson, R. Teare, W. P. Cowley. Capt. Perk, Capt. Jackson, H. Cowin, E. H. Faragher, T. H. Royston, W. T,eavin, J. Killip, E. H. Corkill (Douglas), J. Lawrence (Douglas), R. Cormode, .T. ATnxtin. E. Martin. W. H. Kneale, J. C. Cormode, Inspector King. and others. Major J. D. Hamilton and -Sergt. Hulme, representing the Recruiting Office. were also present.

At the door of deceased's residence, Mr W. C. Southward, H.K., announced the hymn, " O God. our Help in ages past." after which the coffin was borne to the parish church, the school children and members of the Keys preceding it, and a long procession of parishioners and others following in the rear. At the church the service was conducted by the Rev H. W. Young (Curate of Andreas) and the Rev D. Bate (Wesleyan minister). The Lord Bishop, in a brief address, paid a tribute to the work of the late member, in the course of which he said deceased was a man of a kind heart. Surely nothing was more akin to the Christian faith than kindness. He had a wide outlook. Whilst loyal to his own community he had that sympathy of soul which recognised the underlying unity which existed amongst them, and no better proof could be found of this than in the fact that his own pastor had united with the clergy in preceding his remains to God's acre. Then he was also a man of noble endeavour. There were many in these days who sought self-aggrandisement. William Radcliffe was not of that type. He recognised his duty to God and to man, and devoted himself to the interests of the people and to the public end in a way that they all knew, and up to just lately attended with devotion to his duties at the Tynwald Court. To this man of a kind heart, of a broad vision, and noble endeavour, there was no death; to him death was a birth to a higher life, and as they now laid him to rest, let the solemn occasion be a call to each of them to renew devotion to the service e of God and their fellows

At the conclusion of the service, Miss Radcliffe played the Dead March on the organ, and at the graveside the last rites were conducted by the Archdeacon, the Lord Bishop pronouncing the benediction.

The principal mourners were Miss Radcliffe (sister). Mr Jas. Radcliffe (brother). Mr John Sayle, Douglas (cousin), and Mrs A. McDonald (cousin).

A beautiful floral token was sent by the congregation of Ballakaneen Wesleyan Chapel. The coffin was of plain oak, and was supplied by Messrs James Callow and Sons, of Ramsey.


Died July 21st, 1916.

Much to the regret of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. and to the genuine sorrow of the parishioners of Bride. Miss Joughin, of Thurot Cottage, passed from earth on Friday, July 21st. She had been failing for some months, and though she herself had a strong wish to live, her friends recognised that she would not recover. Yet. the end came rather suddenly. Miss Joughin was carried to the lawn in front of her home even the day before she died, and enjoyed some hours there. Much sympathy is felt for the aged mother, who is, 85 years of age, and who was confined to bed for some weeks at the same time as her daughter was laid up. Mrs Joughin made a good recovery, but the daughter succumbed, The only other member of the family surviving is Miss Joughin's sister and devoted companion, who feels the loss very keenly. Mrs Joughin's only son went down with the Ellan Vannin. he was starting for the States to look after some valuable property. The deceased Miss Joughin was of a most kindly, genial, and generous disposition. She gave much thought to the troubles and needs of others. and her good deeds were done quietly and not for publication. She was an intelligent and devoted teacher in the Wesleyan Sunday-school. and an ardent supporter of the cause of the chapel ; whilst at the same time ready to help any movement at the Parish Church. Her life has left behind it a sweet fragrance. Fortunately Mrs Joughin and her surviving daughter are ready to perpetuate the good deeds in which they shared with the spirit that has been removed from the sphere of action.

The funeral took place on Monday, at the same time as that of Mr W. J. Radcliffe H.K. Mr Radcliffe was an old friend of the family, and it was a remarkable coincidence that the two should be buried about the same hour. Considering that numbers even from Bride wished to attend Mr Radcliffe's funeral. the gathering at Miss Joughin's was a very large one. and included relatives' and friends from Douglas, Lonan, Michael, etc. Outside Thurot Cottage. the assembled company sang with a feeling of hopefulness. "Give me the wings' of faith." and the Rev F. G. Braham offered prayer. The church was filled for the service, which was conducted by the Rev S. B. Botwood (rector). the Rev F. G. Braham reading the lesson and also joining with the Rector effectively in the chanting of the Psalm and the singing of the hymns. The union of the ministers in the service was the subject of much commendation by many present. Miss Lily Cowley presided at the organ. The principal mourners. were Mrs Katie Joughin (sister) ; Mr W. Joughin. Ballaquark ; Miss Joughin and Mrs Christian, Cronkbane ; Mr and Mrs, Tom Craine. Douglas ; Mr Joseph Teare and Mrs Bessie Teare. Ballaskilley ; Miss Wade ; Mr and Mrs D. Teare, Lheaker row ; Mr W. Joughin. Douglas ; and Miss Kaighen. Ramsey ; Mr and Mrs Cannell, Mrs T. Quirk. Mrs J. W. Quayle,, Michael. (Most of the above-named were cousins of the deceased,)


Died July 22nd, 1916.

The death occurred on Saturday, July 22nd, of Mr J. T. W. Wicksey, Mus. Bac., headmaster of the Castletown Grammar School. He had been ailing over twelve months, but was only confined to his bed about ten days, the immediate cause of death being heart trouble. Mr Wicksey was a very well-known and highly respected citizen, and conducted the Grammar School on successful lines for the long period of 36 years, prior to which he was a master in Peel Grammar School. An accomplished Greek and Latin scholar, he was extraordinarily successful in coaching pupils for many important examinations, and his boys generally secured the open scholarships to King William's College — this year it was gained by Hunter, one of his pupils. Many of his pupils hold responsible posts in various parts of the world. Mr Wicksey was deeply interested in music, and held the degree of Bachelor of Music (Lond.). In early life he was assistant organist to the great Linter, perhaps the foremost organist of his day. From 1871 to 1876 he was assistant organist and choirmaster at St. Luke's, Cheltenham. Subsequently — in 1876 — Mr Wicksey became organist and choirmaster of St. Peter's Church, Peel, and in 1880, on taking up residence in Castletown, he was appointed organist and choirmaster of St. Mary's Church. He was an ardent church worker, and a member of the C.E.M.S. As a composer, he possessed marked ability, his compositions including a charming setting to the Te Deum, several chants, and a number of hymn tunes. An enthusiastic golfer, he has more than once secured premier Honours for consistent play. Mr Wicksey was a generous and kindhearted gentleman, and he will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends. He was married twice, his second wife. who survives him with four children, being the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs Wm. Corrin, of Malew street.

The funeral took place on Tuesday, when a large number of sympathisers attended to pay their last tribute of respect.

At the residence, in Bowling Green-road, the' hymn, " O God, our Help," was sung. The service in St. Mary's Church was feelingly conducted by the Rev G. A. Wyly, M.A. Mr Denis Thompson officiated at the organ, and the hymn, "Rock of Ages," and chant were sung to tunes composed by the deceased. At the close of the service the Dead March in "Saul" was performed. The interment was at Malew Churchyard, and the concluding portion of the Burial Service was taken by the Rev Canon Spicer. There were numerous wreaths, including tributes from the choir and congregation of St. Mary's, and from the C.E.M.S. Unfortunately, the Lord Bishop and Archdeacon were prevented from attending the funeral by important pre-arranged engagements, while many members of the Legislative Council and House of Keys would have been present had it not been that they had to attend the meetings of the Legislature fixed for Tuesday.

At the conclusion of the sermon at St. Mary's, on Sunday morning, the Rev George A. Bayly, M.A., referred to the late Mr Wicksey in the following terms: " To-day we mourn the loss of a Church official of St. Mary's. James Thomas William Wicksey, who had been in failing health for some time, passed peaceably away yesterday afternoon. He suffered a good deal from his heart lately; so much so that on several Sundays he did not go home after morning service, but remained at the church until the evening. He practically died in harness. He was a Bachelor of Music of the Royal University of Ireland, a Licentiate in Music of Trinity College; London, and a Member of the Incorporated Society of Musicians. His published compositions were anthems, hymn tunes, chants, and secular pieces; and he won a prize for a hymn tune at the Isle of Man Musical Guild. He officiated for the last time at the organ here on Sunday, July 9th, and that morning we sang the Te Deum to a setting composed by him. He was assistant organist and choirmaster at St. Luke's, Cheltenham (1871) ; organist and choirmaster at Peel (1876); and for the past 36 years has been organist and choirmaster at this church, and headmaster of the Grammar School. Of his work here, you are in a better position to speak of than I am; but from my short acquaintanceship I can testify to many excellent qualities of his character, and speak of him as I knew of him for a very short time. He worked loyally, performed his duty faithfully for the good of the church, and I believe to the honour and glory of God, and such service must have been acceptable at the Throne of the Most High. The form that so often sat on that organ stool and awoke that noble instrument to life, is still; the fingers that so often chased each other over the keys, dropping sweet melodies as they ran, are stiff. But if a certain theory of sound is true, those melodies and harmonies which sprang from the soul of the musician have not been lost, but are still wafted to and fro, fulfilling a Divine purpose, though unheard by human ears. The homage of the heart they bear on the waves of sound, wafted throughout vast realms, bearing still their mead of praise and worship to the throne of heaven. Like all musicians. he loved his work — his heart was in the organ, As a man, be ways of a gentle and kindly disposition, with a depth of character and a goodness of heart which few were aware of. Modest almost to a fault, he never pushed himself forward, but did his work unostentatiously. Having used his talent to the worship and praise of God in the Church Militant here below. he has been promoted to continue that work in the Church triumphant, and to sing the song of Moses and the Lamb. We offer our deepest sympathy to his widow in her sad loss."


(By one who knew him.)

James T. W. Wicksey. B.A. (Lond. Univ.), B.-Mus. Royal University of Ireland. Licentiate in Music. Trinity College, London. aged sixty-five, late headmaster of Castletown Grammar school, and organist and choirmaster of St Mary's Chapel Royal. was born in the City of London on the 24th September, 1850, and christened at St Margaret's, Westminister He was educated at Tate's Grammar School, Cheltenham. In the years 1868-9, while yet in his teens, he was assistant master at the Boys' Preparatory Schools at Rottingdean and Alton Pancras. He returned to Cheltenham, where he tutored the sons of General Trickell, Colonel Impey, Major Melvill., Colonel Gaitskill, Colonel Simpson, Colonel Russell. the Rev Canon Davies, of Tewkesbury Abbey, and others. He was also at this time honorary assistant organist to Ricerdo Linter, at St Luke's Church. Two years later he went to Oliver's Mount Church School, Scarborough, holding assistant master's post until in March. 1876, when twenty-five years, of age, he was appointed master of the Peel Grammar and Mathematical School. Soon after this, owing to the visit of the Bishop of Lichfield to hold a Confirmation in St Peter's Church. they begged him to help with the music, which he did so successfully that they asked him to act as organist and choirmaster. The post was an honorary one, ably filled by him, and when he accepted the Castletown Grammar School in 1880, the choir were so sorry to lose him that they collected and presented him with a purse of gold containing twenty sovereigns. As his choir increased. he also started a male voice choir (one of the first, if not the first, efforts of the kind in the Island) and a choral class, holding them in his Grammar School entirely at his own expense, on account of his passionate love for music and the pleasure it gave to the people. Soon after his appointment in Castletown, he started the Philharmonic Society, to which he gave his whole heart and soul. This was an honorary post, the meetings being held in his own schoolroom. The choir some years later showed their appreciation of his, services by presenting him with a silver-mounted baton.

He was a well-known and highly respected citizen. a good all round scholar, being an accomplished Greek and Latin scholar, an equally good mathematician. and in general knowledge and science an equal expert. At his school as a boy he headed the lists in Classics. Mathematics, and French. He was not only talented. but also had application and diligence. His tastes were simple — music and golf were his two chief recreations, and also light reading. He imparted the same spirit to his pupils, and fortunate indeed are those boys who have receivers their instruction and education from our lamented and universally esteemed friend.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received MNB Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2002