[from Manx Place-names, 1925]
Parish of Kirk Maughold.
|| Bull Pope Gregory IX.
|| Ecclesia Scti.Maughaldi
| c. 1376
|| Chron. Mann.
|| ,, ,, Machutus.
|| Bishop's Charter (Derby).
|| Sancta Magholdus.
|| Man. Roll.
|| Paroch. Scti. Maghaldi.
|| Kk. Maghauld.
|| Man. Roll.
|| Paroch. Scti. Maucuti.
|| Man. Roll.
|| ,, ,, Macuti.
|| Dioc. Reg.
|| Ecclesia Scti. Mackuti.
|| Dioc. Comm. Book
|| Eccles. Paroch. et Vicaria Sti. Macuti.
|| Skyll Maghald.
IN the 'Martyrology of Donegal' we find Machud Episcopus under date November 15th, and in the 'Scottish Calendar
of Saints,' Machutus, bishop and confessor, November 15, A.D. 565. The Irish Machud was Latinized into Machutus
and Magholdus, and the modern form Maughold is simply the Latin form Machaldus shorn of its suffix. The intrusive
l in the second Latin form may be a phonetic development caused by the shifting of the stress from the first syllable
to the penultimate of the Latin form.
There were two days on the Manx Calendar dedicated to St. Machud or St. Maughold. August 11th was known as Laa'l Maghald
toshee,'Maughold's first feast-day'; and November 15th as Laa'l Maghald geuree, 'Maughold's winter feast-day'; on both of
which days fairs were held at Kirk Maughold. It is difficult to assign any reason for the fact that two days were dedi-cated
to St. Machud in Mann, but similar instances are found elsewhere. A fair was held at Logierait in Athol on the feast of
Macot (Feil Macoit) on the 22nd August (O.S. August 11th) which points to the fact that there were also two days dedicated
to St. Machud in Scotland.
The Scottish Calendar of Saints gives a St. Machalus April 25th, A.D 498, and refers to him as follows : "He is called also
Machella and Mauchold. He sat bishop here (in the See of Sodor) in A.D. 498 and 518."
According to the evidence of dates this saint had no connection with Mann whatsoever, but owing to a simil-arity in pronunciation,
a certain amount of confusion seems to have existed, which is also met with elsewhere (v. Kirk Malew). It is also possible
that the insertion of l in Machu-l-d was due to this confusion, rather than a phonetic development as noted
above. The dates on which Machud was venerated in Scotland coincide with our own, and we find the correctly Latinised form
in the Chronicle of Mann.
The parish of Kirk Maughold extends from Ramsey to Clagh Ouyr, and from the crest of the eastern mountain ridge to the
sea. It is bounded on the east by the sea, on the south by Kirk Lonan, and on the west and north by Kirk Christ Lezayre.
The southern part of Ramsey, next to Douglas in size and importance, is within this parish. The area of Kirk Maughold is
The parish church is one of the oldest in the Island, and it is surrounded by a churchyard nearly four acres in extent,
said to be one of the largest parish church-yards in the British Islands.
The following notes by Mr. P. M. C. Kermode (Manx Archæological Survey, 4th Report 1915) relative to the church and
churchyard are of extreme interest. 'The parish church has been frequently restored and more than once enlarged. The foundations
may be of the 11th century, as at least one fragment of carved stone certainly belongs to that period. Parts of the walls
are of the 12th century as shown by the two side lights in the east gable, while remains of several more 12th century windows
have been met with. Within the walls also have been found some 13th and 14th century remains and some possibly of the 15th
century. The churchyard is undoubtedly ancient and long held in veneration as a place of peculiar sanctity. In our Manx
Chronicle mention is made of the pastoral staff which, in 1158, was brought by the priests and clerks to prevent the raid
of Gilcolum under Somerled. Though now lost, its memory is preserved in the name Staffland, of which the chief estate (v.
Ballaterson) adjoins the churchyard, so called, undoubtedly, from the fact that these lands were, under the Celtic system,
assigned to the hereditary keepers of the staff . . . The whole length of its (the churchyard) eastern boundary was protected
by a strong rampart . . . formed by a dry stone wall six feet wide; over this . . . there had been an earthen embankment
which sloped outwards to a moat . . . It looks as though we had at Kirk Maughold an establishment with the characteris-tics
of the earliest Irish monasteries, that is to say, an enclosure surrounded by a cashe, or defensive work, containing several
churches, (there are the foundations of four churches, excluding the parish church, within the churchyard) with abbot's
house, guest house, refec-tory, and separate cells for the monks, together with barns and out-houses."
A short distance from the N.E. corner of the church-yard is the well of St. Maughold, formerly venerated and greatly resorted
to by pilgrims. Feltham in recording his tour through the Island in 1797-98 says : "St. Maughold's Well was formerly resorted
to on account of its medicinal virtues. An old legend relates that it has so prolific a quality, that if a barren woman
be placed in the saint's chair, and takes a glass thereof, it imparts fecundity."
- Aah laggey .
- 'Ford of the hollow.' Renab.
- Albert Tower
Built to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria and her consort Prince Albert to Ramsey on the 2oth Sept-ember, 1847. It
is erected on the spot where Prince Albert stood to view the surrounding country.
- Ard Ballachrink
- Ballachrink height.'
- Ards, The.
- 1867 Wood
'The heights.' With Eng. plural.
- 1894 Antiq. I.O.M.
'Height of the cattle-fold.'
c. 1154 Chart. Godred III. Asmunder toftas.
c. 1188 Chart. Reginald I. ,, toftes.
1301 Chart. Abbot of Rushen. Asmundirtoft.
1307 Confirmation Lord Antony ,,
c. 1316 Chon. Mann. Tofthar Asmund.
1329 Chart. Ranulf, Earl of Moray. Asmundertoftes, Hasmundertoft.
Scand. Asmundartopt, 'Asmundr's knoll.'
The 1316 form is due to Gaelic influence, q.v. elsewhere. This farm is now called Ballellin.
- 1703 Man. Roll Baldromma
Mx. Balley drommey,
- 1703 Man. Roll Balnabarna
1734 Dioc. Reg. Ballabarney
1831 Man. Roll Balnabarney
1867 Wood Ballabarna
Mx. Balley ny baarney, (Ir. bearaga),
'farm of the gap.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Ballacruink
1734 Dioc. Reg. Ballachroink
Mx. Balley cruink, 'hill farm.'
1511 Man. Roll Fynlo McCowle
1643 ,, Richd. Cowle
1703 ,, ,, Ballacowle
'Cowle or McCowle's farm.' (Ir. Mac Cathrnhaoil). v. Ballacowle in Kk. Bride.
- 1643 Man. Roll Ballacreggan
1734 Dioc. Reg. Ballaghreggan
'Farm of the rocky land.'
- Ballafayle Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll Balyfayle
1703 ,, ,, Ballafayle
1867 Wood Ballafaile e Cannell
,, ,, ,, Callow
The family who gave name to this treen had moved to one of the adjoining particles before 1511; for we find Thomas McGilveall
with Donald, his son, as tenants there. (Ir. Mac Giolla Phdil).
- Ballagilley Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll Balygill
1703 ,, ,, Ballagilly
'Gill or McGills' farm.' (Ir Mac arg Ghoile). This family had removed from this treen before 1511,
- 1703 Man. Roll Ballaglass
The second element is derived either from Glas, an Irish surname, or glas 'a stream., If the former, the name had disappeared
before written records.
' Glas's farm' or 'stream farm.'
- 1703 Man. Roll Don. Gorry
,, ,, Ballagorry
1818 Dioc. Reg. Balnegorrey
'Gorry's farm.' (Mac Gothraidlg).
- 'Farm of the stranger or strangers.' Particle.
- 1643 Man Roll Ballakilly
1800 Ball ny killey
'Farm of the church.' Adjoining the Parish Church.
- 1727 Dioc. Reg.
- Ballashellag .
- 1703 Man. Roll Ballashalhaige
1727 Dioc. Reg. Ballashaleaige
Mx. Balley shellag, 'willow farm.' We have here the diminutive form with -ag. rather than the adjectival form with -agh.
The modern Ir. form is now saileôg, in which the suffix -ôg is equivalent to the Manx -ag.
- Ballaskeg, Treen,
- 1511 Man. Roll Balyskebag
This is a coast treen, and the second element seems to be Scand. Skipavik, 'ship creek;' which was probably the Norse
name of Traie-ny-Halsall. There are two quarterlands, Ballaskeg Mooar and Beg (big and little). In 1703 one of them was
called Ballaskeggboy, 'yellow Ballaskeg.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Balnasloa
1734 Dioc. Reg „
1818 19 Balnesloe
Mx. Balley ny sleih, (Ir. Baile na sluaigheadh), 'farm of the hosts or gatherings.' In regard to the Irish sluagh, Joyce
says, in 'Irish Names of Places,' that "it is usually translated host, and signifies any multitude, but in the Annals
it is commonly applied to an army . . This word forms a part of the names of several places, where great numbers of people
must have been formerly in the habit of congregating for some purpose . . . and it is very probable that these gatherings,
whatever may have been their original purpose, are represented by the present great horse fairs." Joyce instances
Ballinasloe in Galway.
There was an ancient church alongside of this quarter-land, latterly known as Keeill ny how, the church of the mound or
cairn,' and it is possible that the gatherings here were of a religious nature. There is no record of a fair ever having
been held here, but before the Reformation it was usual to hold a patronal festival in connection with all churches, and
from these festivals many of our fairs originated.
- 1703 Man. Roll John Stoale
,, ,, Ballastoale
1867 Wood Ballastole
'Stowell's farm.' Donald and Wm. McStoile held a quarterland in tha treen of Cardle, Kirk Maughold. in 1511.
- Ballaterson, Treen,.
- 1511 Man. Roll Balyterssyn
'Farm of the cross or crozier.' Adjoins the Staff Lands of Maughold, and probably the latter was originally part of the
treen of Ballatersin. This treen would be freehold, the tenants having the safe custody of St. Maughold's staff which
is mentioned in the Chronicle of Mann.
- Ballaushag. Lost.
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Bird farm.'
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Balla Allin
1780 Setting Quest Dalla Allen
1823 S.S.S.Reg. Deeds Ball a Allen, Ball Allen
1830 Par. Reg. Bal Allen
1858 Man. Roll Balla-Allen
'Aleyn, McAleyn or Allen's farm.' A family of this name was in the treen of Ballafayle in 1511 ; there were also McAllens
in the Abbey Lands of Skinscoe. The older name of Ballellin was Asmundirtoft. q.v.
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Balluig
'Farm of the hollow.' v. Billig in Kk. Cornchan.
- Ballure Glen.
- v. Ballure.
- Ballure Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll Balywre
1703 ,, ,, Ballure
Mx. Balley euar, 'yew-tree estate.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Ballasaig
1831 Minks Sun Balnesage
Mx. Balley Ysaig,'Isaac, Mclssak or Kissack'sfarm.' The McIssaks were in Ballaugh in 1515.
- Baltrim. Lost.
- 1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Balley chirrym, 'dry farm.' v. Crowville.
- Barony Hill.
- v. Christian's Barony.
- Barony, Christian's
- Belonged anciently, partly to the Bishop's Barony and partly to the Barony of St. Bees. It is not known how it came
into the possession of the Christians.
v. Ormeshau, its older name.
- Barrule, North.
- 1858 Man. Roll Barroole
1867 Wood Barrool
Unfortunately no early forms of this name have been found. If an old name, it has probably the same derivation as South
Barrule, q.v. (in Kk. Malew).
- Bayr y chlaarey
- 'Road of the plank.' Referring to the time when the river was crossed by a plank resting on stones. This is a steep
piece of road near the bridge at Cornaa Mill leading down to the river side.
- Bee's (St.), Barony of
- Circa 1154, Godred of Mann and the Isles granted to the church of St. Bega
in Coupaland, (Priory of St. Bee's); Eschedale and Asmunder toftas (the Dhoon and Ballellin) in exchange for the church
of St. Olave and the little estate called Euastad.
- Bishop's Croft.
- 1858 Man. Roll
Part of Christian's Barony formerly belonged to the Bishopric.
- Boaly na laggagh
- 1703 Man. Roll Boaly na laggagh
1858 Boaley ne laggaugh
'The fold of the hollows.' Lag with cumulative suffix agh.
- Boayl creoi.
- 'Hard place.'
- Boayl ny carn.
- 'Place of the cairns.'
- Boayl ny croaw.
- 'Place of the trees.'
- Boayl ny gaaue.
- 'Place of the blacksmiths.'
- Boayl ny heanin .
- 'Place of the precipice.'
- Boayl ny muck.
- 'The place of the pigs.'
- Boayl ny rhennee.
- 'Place of the ferns.'
- 1703 Man. Roll Boalycholane
1858 ,, ,, Boaley Chalane
Mx. Bwoaillee 'c Aleyn, 'MacAleyn's fold.' The MacAleyns were in the treen of Ballafayle in 1511. v. Ballellin. In Kk.
Patrick this name became Callin. Nr. Baldromma. Adj. Bishop's Croft.
- Boayl yn ushag .
- 'The place of the bird.'
- Boayl y wyllin .
- 'Place of the mill.'
- 1703 Man. Roll Boalyvelt
1734 Dioc. Reg. Ballavailt
1858 Man. Roll Boalleyvelt
1867 Wood Booleyvelt
Mx. Bwoallee yu vuilt, 'fold of the wether.'
- Breids, The
- 'The gulleys.' Above Glion y spreih. Deep gulleys cut by the rapid streams in the hill side. Here once lived a noted
character, Margaid y stamma, whose doings have been commemorated in a ballad. She was a dread to the farmers and chased
the Pukans, 'black cattle,' on the hills, entangling their feet in 'green rush rope' (suggane leagher glass), and so throwing
them down. One pool in the river retains the name Lhing Berree Dhône, where she caught poor Berree and slaughtered
him, sending portions to her friends and salting. down the rest for herself. v. Ballad 'Berry
Dhône' in Moore's 'Manx Ballads.'
- Broogh ny fannag .
- 'Brow or bank of the crow.'
- Broogh ny soo .
- 'Brow or bank of the berries.'
- Bwoaillee crottee
- 'The humped fold.'
- Cardle, Treen.
- c. 1200 Runic. Mon. Kurnadal
1511 Man. Roll Cardall
1643 ,, ,, Cardal
1699 Dioc. Reg. Carradall
1735 ,, ,, Caradale
The earliest form of this name is found in an inscription cut on a rough, unhewn slate slab, which 'Mr. P.M.C. Kermode
translates as follows-"Krist, Malaki and Patrik : (and) Adamnan : But of all the sheep Juan is the priest in Kurnadal."
The latter place is still called Cornah Glen, and the little church, Keeill Woirrey, (St.) Mary's Church - in the churchyard
of which this slab was found-stood at the upper end of the glen.
Mr. P. G. Ralfe conjectures that the modern name Cardle postulates the early 13th century form, and the fact that the
treen of Cardle adjoins the treen of Cornah beg and mooar makes his conjecture a reasonable one.
The first element of this name is kvern, cognate with Eng. quern, and originally applied to 'a handmill,' but later to
a 'horizontal water-wheel,' which no doubt the Norsemen introduced into Man and the Hebrides, for they are not found in
those parts of Scotland which were not subject to Scandinavian influence. On the other hand they are numerous in Norway,
and are not yet gone entirely out of use. Traces of these water-querns are still found on some of the streams in Man,
and two streams bore the name Corna (Scand. Kverna, 'mill water'). It must be assumed, of course, that the hand-mill was
used alongside of these water-querns, for the former were in use down to recent times. Kverndrdalr 'mill water dale or
glen.' Kvernedalen in Norway.
- Carnane Breck .
- 'Speckled cairn.'
- Carrett's Close.
- 'Garrett or McKerd's enclosure.'
- Carrick y feeaih
- 'Rock of the deer.' Between the Dhoon and Laxey, upon which, it is said, the last deer seen in the district leaped from
- Carrick y Voddey
- Mx. Carrick y voddee, 'the rock of the dog.'
- Cashtal Ar
- 'East castle.' The name of a battery on Gob ny rona, now in ruins.
- Cashtal yn ard
- 'Castle of the height.'
On Ard Ballachrink.
- Cass y foawr
- 'The giants' foot.' Glen Mona. A pot hole in a rock in the river shaped like a large foot.
- Chibbyr Lattaige
- 1783 Man. Roll
The second element may be a corruption of Noo Taige (Ir. Naoanh Tadhg), St. Tadhg, whose feast was kept on the 8th July.
'St. Tadhg's well.' v. Port St. Mary.
- Chibbyr Mooar
- 'Great well.'
On Maughold Glebe.
- Chibbyr Vaghal
- 'St. Maughold's well.'
The old people believed that the water was good for sore eyes. On Maughold Head.
- Chibbyr Woirrey
- 'St. Mary's well.' This well lies about 3/8 mile N. W. of St. Mary's or Ballure Chapel, and is probably the source from
which the Holy Water was drawn for sacra mental purposes. Mr. P.M.C. Kermode says that : "It is noted for the excellent
quality and never-failing supply of its water. The old town of Ramsey depended almost solely upon this well for its supply."
There is a well bearing the same name on Ballafayle estate.
- Chibbyr y chlaarey
- 'Well of the plank bridge.'
Near Bayr y chlaarey, q.v.
- Chibbyr y vashtee
- 'Baptism well.'
- Claddagh, The
- A piece of flat land near Cornaa Beach.
- 1643 Man, Roll Cloughbane
- 1643 Man. Roll Clonaige
1703. „ Clonage
This probably represents a diminutive form of the Ir. cluain, 'a meadow.' It is on the east bank of the Lickney stream,
on the outskirts of Ramsey.
- Cletts, The.
- 1870 Ord. Sur. Map Clytts, the.
Locally Cleps, „
The name of two pointed rocks off Maughold Head. Either from Scand. Klettr or Kleppr, both meaning 'a rock.' Probably
the local form is correct. These rocks were at one time a noted gull resort.
- Close ne Mona
- 1858 Man. Roll
'Enclosure of the turbary.'
- Close na hown
- 1703 Man. Roll Close na hown
1858 ,, ,, Close ne hawn
Mx. Close ny howin, 'enclosure of the river.' Ballagorry.
- Close ny clagh .
- Enclosure of the stones.'
- Close ny hawin
- 'Enclosure of the river.'
Flat land beside the river at the entrance to Glen Mona.
- Cly ne Nallaught.
- 1823 Paroch. Reg. Cly ne Nallaught
1858 Man. Roll Cly ne Mollaugh
1858 Cley ne Nallaughan
- Mx. Cleigh ny n'ollagh, 'fence or dyke of the cattle or cows.'
The 1858 forms are very corrupt.
- Coan mooar
- 1858 Man. Roll Coanmore 'Big hollow.'
- Coan y chishtey
- 'The hollow of the chest.' Said to be named from a stone which is shaped like a chest. Mentioned in the old ballad 'Ny
kirree fo niaghtey.'
- Cooil Ard .
- 'High corner or nook.'
- Cooill ny sleigh .
- 'Corner of the hedges.'
- Cooill ny marrey.
- 'Sea nook or corner.'
- Cooill ny mullagh.
- 'Corner of the tops or summits.'
- Cooil renny.
- 1786 Man. Roll
"Field on the estate of Portleague." Mx. Cooill rhennee ,ferny nook.'
- Cornaa, Treen
- 1511 Man. Roll Cornay
1703 ,, ,, Corna
These are two treens distinguished by mooar and beg (big and little). v. Cardle.
- 1643 Man. Roll Corrony
v. Cornaa, of which this name is a variation.
- Cor Stack
- 'Odd or round stack.'
- Cregge Vrackey.
- 1831 Man. Roll
Mx. Creggyn vrechey, 'speckled rocks.'
- Creg ny mohlt.
- 1826 Dioc. Reg. Creg na Moult.
- 'The rock of the wethers'. "3 miles from Ramsey on the Douglas road, containing 65 acres. Now (1826) Caledonian
- Creg veg .
- 'Little rock.'
- Creg y foawr
- ''The giant's rock.' In Glen Mona.
Local tradition says that the giant grasped this rock between two fingers and threw it into the glen, and in proof of
this, two white streaks on the rock, the giant's finger marks, are still pointed out.
- Crial a Vullian.
- 1840 Man. Roll The first element seems to be creear, 'a sieve ;' used in local names for 'a morass.' The interchange
of l and r is a common feature in place-mmes. Thus sruthair (a stream) in Irish names often becomes sritthail. Crecar
or Creeal y vwyllin, 'morass of the mill.'
- Croit Mwaagh .
- 'Hare's croft.'
- Croit ned moar
- 1840 Man. Roll 'Big Ned's croft.'
The Corony mill was its western boundary. v. Crial a Vullian.
- Croit Nell .
- 'Nell's croft.'
- Croit ny Bushall
- The remains of a house and croft on Maughold Head bear this name. v. Bushel's Grave, in Kk. Christ Rushen.
- 1703 Man. Roll Cronkardal
1858 ,, ,, Cronk Cardall
'Cardle hill.' In Cardle.
- Cronk bane.
- 1703 Man. Roll Cronk bane
- Cronk doo
- 'Black hill.'
- Crongan mooar .
- 'Great hillock.'
- Cronk Mooar.
- 1786 Man. Roll
'Great hill.' "On the estate of Portleague."
- Cronk Urley .
- Eagle's hill.'
- 'Little crosses'; with Eng. plural. Usually' a ford, crossing or bridge over a river.' v. Crossag in Kirk Malew. The
Crossags are on the Lickney stream.
- 1703 Man. Roll Crotacallin
1858 ,, ,, Crott a Callin
'Callin or McAleyn's croft.' v. Ballellin.
- 1703 Man. Roll Crotafundale
1858 ,, ,, Crott a ffundale.
Mx. Croit y thundail, 'the croft of the pinpound.'
- 1703 Man. Roll Crotaskelly
1858 ,, ,, Crott a Skelly
'Skelly or McScaly's croft.' Near Port Lewaigue.
- 1703 Man. Roll Crot killnahowe
1780 Setting Quest Crot kill na howe
1823 Par. Reg. Crot killnocknau, Crott kill pock now.
1858 Man. Roll Crottkillnahow
„ „ „ Knock Now
1880 Setting Quest Croit Will Knock Aue.
Mx. Croit keeill ny howe, the croft of the church of the mound.' Rhullick ny Quakeryn is on this croft. The mound is a
fine chambered tumulus.
- 1703 Man. Roll Crottermeen
1858 ,. ., Crott Ermeene
Mx. Croit Urmen, 'Urinen's croft.' McCurmen, which later became Curmeene (now Kermeen), was a common Maughold surname
in 1511. Urmen also occurs as a Christian name.
- Crott ne ping.
- 1823 Setting Quest
1858 Man. Roll 'Croft of the penny.'
- Crot Woods.
- 'Woods' croft.'
- Crow Callin
- 1703 Man. Roll Crow Callin
1858 ,, ,, Crowcallen 'Callin or McAleyn's sheep-pen.'
- Crowcreen [krau kri.n
- 1643 Man. Roll Crowcreene
1840 ,, ,, Crowcreen or Kerroo green.
Mx. Crouw creep, (Ir. Craebh crion), °Withered tree.' Joyce (Irish Names of Places) says that "craebh signifies
either a branch or a large wide-spreading tree. The name, like bile (Mx. biliey), was given to large trees, under whose
shadows games or religious rites were cele-brated, or chiefs inaugurated ; and we may conclude that one of these trees
formerly grew wherever we find the word perpetuated in a name." This estate is along-side of Ballasloe, q.v. Moore
(Manx Place Names) says that this estate is also known by the name of Ballathona (Mx. Balley tonney) 'wavy farm'; called
so because the farm is of an undulating character.
It was here that Ned lag y tooran 'Ned of the hollow of the stack or stack-bed' watched at the turn of the highway every
Sunday to get the braghtan (sandwich) of bread and cheese from christening parties as they passed on their way to church,
according to the old custom of giving something to eat to the first person met between the house and the church.
- Anciently Baltrim. The residence of Captain Hugh Crow (v. Moore's Manx Worthies).
- Curragh Creen.
- 1858 Man. Roll 'Withered marsh.'
- 1858 Man. Roll
'Black marsh.' Ballagilley.
- Curragh Huan.
- 1858 Man. Roll ,Huan's marsh.' Curragh Sam.
1867 Wood 'Sam's marsh.'
- Dal Mooar
- 1858 Man. Roll Dall
'Great dale or glen.' (Scand. dalr). This is the name of a croft below the Cornah mill, and probably dall is a remnant
of the ancient name of the glen. v. Cardle.
- 1643 Man Roll (Kerrow) Doone
1727 Dioc. Reg. Doone, Down
1785 Man. Roll Doom
Mx. Kerroo Doon (Ir. Ceathramhadh Duin) 'Fort quarterland.' It is remarkable that the word dun, so common in Irish and
Scottish place-names, occurs but rarely in the Isle of Man. Speaking of these relics of antiquity, Joyce (Irish Names
of Places) says that "this word was anciently, and is still, frequently applied to the great forts, with a high central
mound, flat at the top and surrounded by several-very usually three-earthen circumvallations. These fortified duns, so
many of which remain all over the country, were the residences of the kings and chiefs; and they areconstantly mentioned
as such in the Irish authorities". There are twenty-seven places in Ireland simply called 'Doon', and it 1s the prefix
of over 6oo townlands. Wakeman (Hand-book of Irish Antiquities) describes the duns as follows "The general plan is
circular and the construction simple. A deep ditch or trench was dug and the earth thrown up, forming a deep enclosing
dyke or rampart, which was probably rendered further secure by a stake fence. Thay were 1n size from a few yards to a
hundred in diameter, and often consist merely of the circular en-trenchment, the area of which is slightly raised above
the level of the adjoining land."
The Dhoon probably took its name from the earth-works on Kionehenin which are in the quarterland. Mr. P. M. C. Kermode
(Proceedings I.O.M. Nat. Hist. & Antiq. Sec.) describingthe remains, said : "he thought that the ring marked
a mound which had been removed. The cairn was a comparatively large one, measuring about 36 feet in diameter, and now
about 6 feet high."
c. 1154 Godred the Black of Mann gave to the Priory of St. Bee's in Copeland the lands of Eschedale and Asmunder toftas
in exchange for the church of St. Olave and a small estate called Euastad. Eschedale was the Dhoon Glen and Asmundertoftas
- Dhyrnane [dõAnae'n
- 1627 Cas. Rush. Papers Port Donan
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Dhyrnane
Probably from personal name Donkan which occurs here in 1511.
- Dooar, The.
- Doo, with locative suffix, 'Black water.' The Manx name of Port y vwyllin stream.
- Dreem e lhergy.
- 1858 Man. Roll Drim ne largey
Mx. Dreeym y lhargee, 'ridge of the slope.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Drom Skarry
1830 Paroch. Reg. Dreem Skarrey
1843 Drem Scarff
1843 Wood Drimskerry 'Scarff's ridge.'
- Dreeym e jeeskaig
- 1823 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds Drim ne goskeage
1858 Man. Roll ,, „ gosheage
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Dreem e jeeskaig
1903 Mx. Names Dreeym ny easkaig
Eskedale was the old name of the Dhoon glen, and it is probable that Eskewick (Scand. Eskivik, lash bay') was the old
name of the Dhoon Bay ; of which the modern Yeeskarig, or Easkaig, is a corruption. In old M. SS. g and j are often confused
and this may account for the earlier forms. Y and j beginning words are interchangeable in Manx, and y is always regarded
as an aspiration of j, hence the modern form jeeskaig for an older yeeskaig and eskwick. The Manx dreeyrn. 'ridge,' is
a later addition.
Over this ridge, tradition says, the Lord's deer used to be driven from Glen Roy on to the rocks on the shore beneath
- Ecclesia Sancti Olavi.
- 'The church of Saint Olave.' Mentioned in a charter of Godred the Black of Mann, c, 1154. It was on a small estate called
Euastad, which has not been identified.
1154 Chart. Godred. Eschedala
c. 1329 Suit : Prior St. Bees' v. Abbot Rushen Eskedale
Scand. Eskidalr, 'ash dale.' In modern Norwegian sk before a narrow vowel is regularly pronounced (f). In Icelandic the
pronunciation was always (sk). Eschedal in Norway in 1668. This was the older name of Dhoon Glen.
c. 1154 Chart. Godred of Mann.
Scand. Yngvastaõr, 'Yngvi's farin' ; orYngvarstaðr, 'Yngvarr's or Ivarr's farm.' The latter personal na,ne
became McIver in the west of Scotland, and McCure in the Isle of Man. Ewastad now Ævestad in Norway. v. Ecclesia
- Faaie ny cooag
- 'Flat of the cuckoo.' The field N. of Claghbane garden through which a pathway leads via the Crossag to Glen Aldyn.
- 1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Faaigh cleigh, 'fence flat.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Ffolleaw
1734 Dioc Reg. Fo Leaw (east and west)
1786 Paroch. Reg. Folieu-heer
Mx. Fo lieau, ' below the mountain.' Slieau aspirated by preposition fo.
- Follit y vannin
- The meaning of this name is obscure. If old (though not found in any Manx documents) it may represent Ir. Fdla tigh
Bhanaiu, the enclosure of Bandn's house.
- 1823 Paroch. Reg.
"Rev. John Crellin for a parcel of waste between his house and the fort, 10d. rent." This fort was below Ballure
- Fo yn chleigh.
- '[Place] under the hedge.'
- Gara Quaile.
- 1703 Man. Roll
'Quayle's garden.' (M. garey).
- Garry more.
'Great river-shrubbery.' In some names garry may postulate the Norse ger6i, as the former is a common corruption in the
Western Isles. v. Amogarry in Kirk Lonan.
- Gary Ballashulghage.
- 1703 Man. Roll
v, carry More and Ballashellag.
- Giat ny bing
- 'Gate of the juries.' Where a trespass jury had held a meeting.
- Giau Wooar
- 'Great cave.'
- Glan Boilley Worrey.
- 1737 Dice. Reg.
Mx. Glion bwoaillee Woirrey,'glen of the fold of Mary.' Adjoining the Clerk's glebe.
- Glan Engeage, Glen Engage.
- 1858 Man. Roll
Mx. Glion hijeig, 'glen of the injeig.' v. Injaigyn in Kirk Lonan.
- 1858 Man. Roll
Mx. Glion shoggyl, 'rye glen.' Treen of Cornamore,
- Glen Callin.
- 'Callin or McMlen's glen.' North branch of Dhoon Glen.
- Glen Mona.
- A modern name. v. Glion Shuin.
- Glion Coll .
- ' Hazel glen.'
- Glion Lornarcan
- 'Lonely glen.' A branch of the Dhoon Glen.
- Glion Shuin
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Glanshune
1869 High. Acc. Glen Shoin
'Rush glen.' The old name of Glen Mona.
- Glion yn Ard
- 'Glen of the height.' Probably takes its name from a croft above. v. Cooill Ard. A branch of the Dhoon Glen.
- Glion y spreih
- 'Spray glen.' On the slope of Barrule. Called so from its rapid stream, a tributary of the Cornaa.
- Gloan Vullin.
- 1787 Dioc. Reg.
Mx. Glion Vwyllin, 'mill glen.'
- Gob Ago
- Scand, Eggjarhõfuð, 'edge how or head,' to which Mx. gob, 'headland,' has been added later. Mr. P. G. Ralfe
says that the Scand. name is a very apt description of the promontory.
- Gob ny Cally
- Mx. Gob ray caillee, 'the point or headland of the hag or old woman.' It is said that an old woman kept an inn near
- Gob ny garvain
- This is the Ord. Sur. spelling. Miss Mona Douglas says that the older people call it Gob y ghaauiu, 'head-land of the
smith.' There is a coast-fort here, said to have been the home of a fairy-smith, and there is a legend connected with
it. The legend is somewhat similar to "Olave Goddardson and the sword Macabuin." v. Moore's Manx
Folklore, p. 27.
- Gob ny how [gob na hau] .
- 'Point of the how.'
- Gob ny Port Mooar.
- 'Headland of P. M.' q.v.
- Gob ny rona
- 'Point of the seal.' Called 'Tableland Point' on the 6 in. Ord. Sur. Map,
- Gob ny Scout
- 1831 Man. Roll Gobb ne Scout
1867 Wood Gobneskeate
"Point, etc., of the cascade." Scout is probably a dialectal variation of Eng. 'squirt,' for in Manx it is used
exactly in the same sense. It is here applied to a small waterfall on Barrule.
- Gob ny skey
- 'Point of the wing.' (Ir. sgiath). This small head land has somewhat the appearance of an outstretched wing.
- Gob ny Strena
- 'Point of the stream or current.'
- Hough, The
- Lanes. dialectal form of Old Eng. hõh, 'heel promon-tory.' v. Christian's Barony, which was also called the Barony
of the Hough, and earlier Ormeshau. q.v. Jalloo
- In place-names usually means 'a spectre, phantom, or ghost,' (Ir dealbh). This place is one of the particles and probably
there was some legend connected with it which gave rise to the name. Karnan ar, The. 1858 Man. Roll Mx. Carnane iar, eastern
cairn.' On the eastern slope of North Barrule. Intack 100.
- Keeill Casherick
- 'Holy church.' The name of a small church, the foundations of which still remain. On Ord. Sur. Map, "Keeill Chiggyrt,"
- Keeill Chiggyrt
- Mr. P. M. C. Kermode says there is a local tradition that the priests were buried here, and thinks the original form
of the name would be Keeill ny saggyrt, the church of the priests.'
- Keeill Moirrey
- 'Mary's church.' At the head of Cornaa Glen. A fair was anciently held here on March 25th, the Annunciation of the Virgin
Mary, which was transferred to Cornah Bridge in 1826, and to Ramsey in 1835.
- Keeill Vichal
- 1231 Bull Pope Gregory IX. Eccl. Scti. Michaelis.
1299 Rotull Scotiae „
1505 Episc. Charter „
1537 Cert. Rev. Furn. Abb.
Personage of Seynt Mighell. 1585 Pat. Rolls Rectory of St. Michael This little church, the ruins of which may still be
seen on Barony Hill, is frequently mentioned in old charters in conjunction with the church of St. Maughold.
- Keooin ny Herd.
- 1727 Dioc. Reg.
Mx. Kione ny hard, 'head of the heights.'
- Kerrow na urd.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Kerroo ny ard, 'quarter of the heights.' In literary Manx, ard in this name and the preceding one should be written
- King Orry's Castle
- The modern name of a chambered tumulus ; properly called Cashtal yn ard, q.v.
The fact that this tumulus is near Ballagorry is responsible for its present name.
- 1703 Man. Roll Keonnahenning
1734 Dioc. Reg. Keone Ennyn
1830 Paroch ,, Keen njinin (nyinin)
1858 Man. Roll Keon ne henning
Mx- Kione ny heaynin, the head of the precipice.'
- Mx, lhaggan, 'a hollow.' Part of Rencullen.
- Lagaragh glass .
- 'Green hollow.'
Lag, with cumulative suffix. v. Lag glass.
- Laggan meanagh .
- 'Middle hollow.'
- Laggan vooar .
- 'Big hollow,' (also veg, 'little).
- Lag glass.
- 1858 Man. Roll Laggaugh glass
Mx. Lag or Lhaggagh glass, green place of hollows. Lag, with locative suffix -agh, denoting 'a place.'
- Lag vollagh
- 'Rough hollow.' Under Cornaa Mill.
- Lake, The.
- 1858 Man. Roll Intacks 98 and 126.
- Larga Nachibber
- 1703 Man. Roll Larga Nachibber
1858 Larga ne Chibber Mx. Liargagh ny chibbyr, 'slope of the well.'
- 1703 Man. Roll Largare
1858 ,, Larga-re Mx. Liargagh rea, 'level slope.'
- 1703 Man. Roll
1858 „ „
Mx. Liargagh vooar, 'great slope.'
- Leany Gaw.
- 1734 Dioc. Reg.
Mx. Lheeannee y ghaaue, 'meadow of the smith.'
- Lewaigue, Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll Lewaige Scand. Hli6hvik, 'slope creek.
- Lhing Berree Dhone
- 'Brown Berry's pool' v. The Breids.
- Lhing y ghlashtin
- 'The Glashtin's pool.' In Glen Mona.
- Liargee Frissel [ljargi frizl].
- 'Frissel's slope.'
- Liargee rea.
- 'Smooth slope.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Leaghearny
1734 Dioc. Reg. Leagherny
Mx. Leaghyrnee, 'rushy place,' Leaghyr, 'rushes,' with locative suffix.
- Loughan Keeill olael
- 'Pond of Michael's church.' v. Keeill Vael. Probably a dew-pond.
- Magher beg.
- 'Little field.'
- Magher heese.
- 'Lower field.'
- Magher ny claghyn.
- 'Field of the stones.'
- Magher ny hough.
- 'Field of the hough.'
- Magher sheear.
- 'West field.'
- Magher shiar.
- 'East field.'
- Magher y bhutt.
- 'The field of the butt or heap.
- Magher y chassan.
- 'Field of the footpath.'
- Magher y chroaghan .
- 'The field of the gadfly.'
- Magher y clieau venagh .
- 'Field of the middle mountain.'
- Magher y clieau vooar .
- 'Field of the big mountain.'
- Magher y freoaie .
- 'Field of the ling or heather.'
- Magher y fuill
- 'Field of the blood.' Near Crow Creen.
- Magher y fuygh.
- 'Field of the timber.'
- Magher yn ghiat.
- 'Field of the gate.'
- Magher yn oalsum
- 'Field of the tether.' Cregeen (Mx. Dic"t.). Oalsum 'A tie on a thievish cow, a rope tied from the horn or head
to the leg.'
- Magher yn traie.
- 'Field of the shore.'
- Magher y rhennee.
- 'Field of the ferns.'
- Magher y skeaig.
- 'Hawthorn field.'
- Magher y slieau.
- 'Mountain field.'
- Margher e breek.
- 1867 Wood Magher breek 'Speckled field.'
- 1643 Man. Roll Magher acave
1823 Setting Quest Maugher e keaue
1858 Man. Roll Magher e kave
'Kewe or McKewe's field.' This surname is found in Kirk German in 1515.
- Mary's (St.) Chapel.
- 1675 Dioc. Reg. St. Mary's of Ballure
There was an ecclesiastical court holden here on August 16th, 1675, the day following after the Assumption of the Virgin
- Maughold Head.
- v. Parish of Kirk Maughold.
- Maughold's (St.) Well.
- v. Chibbyr Vaghal.
- 1643 Man. Roll Milntown
Eng. 'farm of the mill,'
- 'Turbaries or turf-pits.'
- 1858 Man. Roll
The same meaning as Monnaghan. Moain, with locative suffixes. Intack No. 9:.
- Monnaghan, Ye.
- 1786 Man. Roll
"Unenclosed land on the East of Slieau League."
'The turfy or miry land.'
- 1753 Man. Roll
"Parcel of Intack." Thorkill's turbary or turf-pit '
- Mount Sayle.
- At Port Y wyllin.
- Naij reij.
- 1858 Man. Roll
Mx. Yn aaie Yea, the level flat.'
- Ooig Vooar
- 'Big Cave.' Tradition says that a gull once sailed from here, under the Barony Hill, to a hollow on the other side called
Lagaragh glass, where a large volume of water flowed out of the ground. This is probably the same place as Giauvooar on
the 6 in. Ord. Sur. Map
c. 1188 Chart. Reginald of Mann Ormeshau
c, 1316 Chron. Mann. Orumsouz
1329 Chart. Ranulf Earl of Moray Hormeshou
Scand. Ormarshofuð, 'Ormarr's headland.' The ancient Norse name of Christian's Barony, one half of which belonged
to the Priory of St. Bees in Cumberland and the other half to the Bishop's Barony.
- Pairk doo
- 'Black untilled or pasture field.'
- Park e Doctor.
- 1720 Man. Roll
'The doctor's pasture land or field.'
- Park Llewellyn.
- 'Llewellyn's pasture-field.'
- Park Mooar .
- 'Great pasture-field.'
- Park Rum.
- 1867 Wood
'Rum pasture-field.' Perhaps sold for a bottle of rum. It has been recorded that such exchanges actually took place.
- Pinge lagh glass.
- 1703 Man. Roll Pinge lagh glass
1858 ,, Ping Glass
'Penny grey mire.' One penny rent paid.
- Ping na bray.
- 1703 Man. Roll Ping na broy
1858 ,, Ping ne broij
Mx. Ping ny brooie, 'penny (rent) of the broogh or river-bank.'
- Port Cornaa.
- 1154 Portus Corna v. Cardle.
Scand. Grandnes. Grandi is a strip of beach above the water at ebb tides, an isthmus, a sandbank. Perhaps the former meaning
is the correct one here. Nes, headland. Under West Folieu house. Grannes in Norway.
- Port Lewaigue
- 1703 Man. Roll Port lewaige v. Lewaigue.
- Port Mooar .
- 'Great harbour.'
- Port y wyllin
- 1858 Man. Roll Port Willin
'Port or harbour of the mill.'
- Purt ny gyar as fied
- 1862 Old Plan
Mx. Purt ny Giare as Feed, 'port or harbour of the four and twenties.' Tradition says that during the per-
iod of the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles, the eight members of the Keys from the Hebrides landed here annually to attend
the assembly of the Tynwald on Midsummer Day. The following extract from the Statute Laws are of interest in this connection
:- "Our most Gratious and excellent Lord Sir John Stanley,
King of Man and the Isles. In the Vigil of your Lady Sit. Mary Anno Domini 1422, att his Castle of Rushen, asked his Deemsters
and the xxiiij the Laws of Mann in these points underwritten. To the which of the said Deemsters, with the xxiiij gave
for Law that these be points of your Prerogatives." Among these points is the following : "Alsoe, we give for
Law, that there was never xxiiij Keys in Certainty, since they were first that were called Taxiaxi, those were xxiiij
free Houlders viz. viij in the Out Isles, and xvj in your Land of Mann, and that was in King Orry's Days."
For political purposes the Hebrides were divided into four groups, of which the principal islands were Islay, Mull, Skye
and Lewis, each of which sent two represen-tatives annually to the Midsummer Tynwald Court held in the main island of
Mann, The 16 Manx representatives of the Keys were probably distributed as follows two for each of the six sheadings,
and one for each of the four market towns, which in 1422 are enumerated in the following order of importance : Castletown,
Peel, Ramsey, and Douglas.
This place is now called Traie Curn.
- Raad ny Kiare as Feed
- 'Road of the Four and Twenty,' i.e. the Keys.
On Maughold Head. v. supra.
- Ramsey, Treen.
- c. 1250 Chron. Mann. Ramsa
1285 Bridgewater M.SS. Ramsey
1511 Man. Roll Rammessay
1703 ,, ,, Ramsey
Scand. Ranuå, 'wild-garlic river.' This was the name of the stream now called the Lickney stream, whichbounds the
parishes of Maughold and Lezayre. On the Ord. Sur. Map it is called Strooan ny crane, a name which must have been known
at the time the survey was taken, but which now seems to be forgotten. This is Gaelic for the stream of the wild-garlic,'
We find this element in such Irish place-names as Clooncraff, wild-garlic meadow,' Iniscreawa, 'wild-garlic island,' etc.
It is remarkable to find this confirm-atory evidence of the meaning of the older Scandinavian name in the Gaelic form,
and shows another instance of the bilinguality of the Gall-Gael. In Norway such names as Ramsland, Ramsnes, Ramsvik, etc.,
are quite common.
RAMSEY STREET AND OTHER NAMES.
- Bayr geinnee
- 'Sandy road.' This was the old name of Bowring Road, q.v.
- Bowring Road.
- After Sir John Bowring who took a great interest in Manx affairs. v. suga.
- Cooill thrass mooar.
- 'Big third corner.' Name of a fishing mark at sea.
- College Street.
- Formerly Collag Street. Collag, 'a bait can.' (Mx. Names).
- Holt, The.
- A common name for a fishing mark around the coast. It also occurs in the South. Probably Eng. halt, i.e. 'a stopping
- Israel Scar.
- Sker, 'a rock.' Name of a fishing mark.
- Low Abner.
- Name of a fishing mark.
- Old Cross.
- The old market cross in Ramsey.
- Shellag, The.
- 'Willow place.' Fishing mark.
- Sisters, The.
- Rock names.
- Ramsey ffort.
- 1858 Man. Roll
An old fort, now disappeared. Built by the Derbys for the protection of Ramsey.
- Rencullen, Treen.
- c. 1250 Chron. Mann. Rynkurlyn
1511 Man. Roll Rencullen
1867 Wood Rencullen
Usually translated 'holly ridge,' (cullion, 'holly'). The presence of r in the earliest forms makes this derivation doubtful,
and the second element may be the Ir, surname Coirealldn, or Coirealldin, now Curland, Kirlin, Kerlin, etc. There is also
a treen of this name in Kk. Michael.
- 1703 Man. Roll Rengaroij
1858 Reng e Roy
"In the ffells." Mx. Rheynn ruy, red division.'
- Rhaa Mooar
- 1743 Dioc. Reg. Rhaa moar
'Great fort.' "Now a heap of stones in a commanding position by the shore in Maughold. The supposition that this
may be the remains of an ancient fort is strengthened by the fact that the rocky point below is called Gob yn chashtal."
(Mx. Names, p. 100).
- 1643 Man. Roll Ren-abb
1734 Dioc. Reg. Royn Abb
1867 Wood Rheinabb
Mx. Rheynn abb, 'abbot's division.' This is bounded on the south by the Barony of St. Bee's, and the abbots of Rushen
also held land in the vicinity in early times.
- 'Ferny place.'
- Rheynn Faden
- 'Faden or McFaden's division.' Now Cogeen
- Rheynn losht.
- 'Burnt division.,
- Rheynn mooar .
- 'Great division.'
- Rhullick ny Quakeryn.
- 'Graveyard or cemetery of the Quakers.'
- Roan [ron
- 1703 Man. Roll Roll
1867 Wood Rhown
Mx. Ruyan, 'reddish land.'
- Shenn thalloo .
- 'Old land.'
- 1703 Man. Roll Shentallow
1858 ,, ,, Shenthalloo
Mx. Shenn thalloo, 'old plot.'
- Slieau veg [.
- 'Little mountain.'
- Strooan y niee
- 'Stream of the washing.' Near the Hibernia.
- Slieau Lewaigue.
- v. Lewaigue.
- Slock e Cowell
- 'Cowell's pit or hollow.' Beach near Port Mooar.
- Slogh ny gabbyl screbbagh
- 'Pit of the scabby horses.' A steep precipice on the Barony where scabby horses were thrown over. From time to time
presentiments were made against persons for keeping scabbed horses, as in 1511-13, when the Abbot of Rushen and others
were fined. In 1577 the customary law was that the coroner ought to bring them to the nearest Hough and throw them down.
- 1703 Man. Roll Stockaland
1831 Manx Sun Stokelane
1858 Man. Roll Stocklan
Scand. Stokkalaitd, land of trunks, logs, blocks or stumps,' i.e., indicating a place where trees had been cut down and
the stumps left in the ground. We also find Stokkeland in Norway.
- Stack Mooar.
- 'Big stack,' (rock).
- Land which was held on free tenure for the safe custody of St. Maughold's staff. v. Ballaterson.
- Tableland Point.
- v. Gob ny rona.
- Thagher [tooxar
- 'A causeway.' Over a boggy place.
- Thalloo eddyr y ghoal
- 'Land between the fork.'
Between the fork of two streams on Rhenab.
- Thalloo Huan
- 'Huan's land.'
- Thalloo eayl
- 'Lime land.'
- Thalloo losht
- 'Burnt land.' The surface was cut off by the push-plough and burnt. The last push-plough in use in the
parish is said to have been at Ballafayle. In several of these places so called and in the curraghs are mounds of burnt
soil and stones, some of them lined with flags at the bottom, and others containing a large quantity of charcoal. Possibly
charcoal was prepared from trees in the curragh to smelt iron with before the use of coal.
- Thalloo Mitchell
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Tolt a Mitchell
1858 Man. Roll Tall o Mitchel
The early forms suggest In azid Sc. tula, tulchan, tulachan, etc., 'hill, green hill ;' Sc. tulchaiyan, 'house-gable,'
from its hill-like appearance: hence Mx. tholtan 'ruin of a house,' i.e., having nothing but the hill-like gables left.
In 1\lanx names it is difficult to say whether 'hill' or its secondary meaning ruin,' is intended. Probably Thalloo Mitchell
means "Michael's ruin,' rather than 'Michael's land,' and may have referred to the ruins of Keeill Vichal (q.v.) v. Tolta
ny goayr and Tolta woaillee (now Tholt-e-Will) in Kirk Christ Lezayre, and Tolta Holt (Holt's ruin) in Kirk Malew.
- Thalloo ny beishteig
- 'Land of the insects.' A sunny slope on Rhenab, where there are swarms of midgets and other insects on a sunny day.
- Thalloo Queen
- 'Quine's land.' Adjoins the Barony and anciently one of the particles, which were portions of land originally assigned
for the use of poor scholars. In 1403, the King of Mann conceded to Luke McQuyn certain alms, called particles which had
before been granted by former kings, as long as he remained scholar, and was not promoted.
- Thalloo Will.
- 'Will's land' (1515 McWill).
- Tollane Cowle.
- 1858 Man. Roll
'Cowle's little hill.' Ir. tulchan.
- Towl eaynin y ruyghey
- The hole (or cave) of the cliff of the lichens.' Near the Aah laggey. There is a cave here near which the perpendicular
side of the rock is covered with red brown lichen. In the stream below, where the water falls over the edge of a peculiar-shaped
rock, a voice-like sound is emitted every few minutes by air escaping from under the falling stream.
- Traie Curn
- 1862 Old Plan Purt ny gyrane
1870 Ord. Sur. Map
- Traie Curn.
- 'Shore or harbour of the cairns.' (carn)
- Traie Eairkan .
- 'Shore of the lapwing.'
- Traie ny feeyney
- 'Shore of the wine.' (Smuggling ?)
- Traie ny foillan .
- 'Shore of the gulls.'
- Traie ny Halsall
- 'Halsall's shore.' Its ancient Norse name was Skipavik, 'ship creek.' v. Ballaskeg.
- Traie ny Uainaigue..
- Scand. Vindvik, 'wind creek or bay.' Gaelic traie, 'shore,' added later.
- Treen meanagh
- 'Middle third.'
The middle of the parish.
- Trout River.
- 1858 Man. Roll
'Intack near the Trout River.'
- White Stones, The.
- 1858 Man. Roll
- Yn Charrick
- 'The rock.'
A large rock near Ramsey.
- Yn chrossag .
- 'The little crossing or bridge.'
- Yn curragh noa .
- 'The new marsh.'
- Yn curragh vollagh.
- 'The rough marsh.'
- Yn doarlish vooar.
- 'The big gap.'
- Yn Laare vooie
- 'The threshing floor.'
- Yn lheeannee.
- 'The meadow.'
- Yn magher jiass.
- 'The south field.'
- Yn magher mooar.
- 'The big field.'
- Yn magher not
- 'The field near or against [the house].'
- Yn magher twoaie.
- 'The north field.'