Jenkinson gives the following description of the well in 1874 - not much has changed since! :-
After leaving the churchyard at the north-east corner, and crossing a field, the stranger, by searching a little, will find St. Maugholds Well, which is situated directly above the sea, a little way down the north cliff, half hidden by gorse and grass. Those who have had their expectations raised will be rather disappointed. The well is in a dilapidated and neglected condition. A few stones form a square, open to the north, and within the inclosure is a small scooped stone into which the water flows from the rock, but so slowly that it is hardly perceptible. The water is no doubt chalybeate. The stone or rock which formed the saints chair is overgrown or destroyed, for there is no such to be found. It is not altogether unlikely that, nearly fourteen hundred years ago, at this very font, St. Maughold administered the baptismal rite. He is said to have blessed the well, and endowed it with certain healing virtues. It was formerly much resorted to by women for its health-imparting qualities. The water was imagined to derive additional efficacy if drank sitting in the saints chair, which was scooped out of the adjacent rock. For many ages it has been the custom for the natives to make a pilgrimage on the first Sunday in August to drink of its waters, and even now, on that day, the young people in the neighbourhood pay holiday visits to the spot.
See also Train writing c.1840 - the first description dates from middle of 11th century - however W.W. Gill raises a question as to whether the 'correct' name for this well is 'St Patrick's well at Maughold' - see alse A Manx Scrapbook p27 et seq.