[from Manx Place-names, 1925]

Parish of Kirk Lonan.

1511 Man.Roll. Parochia St. Lonani.
1648 Blundell. Kirk Lannon or Lonan.
1710 Dioc.Reg. Ecclesia Sti. Lonnom.
1721 Dioc.Comm. Bk. Kk. Lonan.
1785 Dioc.Reg. Kirk Lonnon.
Manx Skyll Lonan.

EIGHT Irish saints bore the name Lonan, and it is difficult to determine, in the absence of historical data, to which of these Lonans the church and parish of Kirk Lonan were dedicated.

A fair was formerly held at Laxey on August 5th, and this is the only clue Insular records provide us with as to the identity of our Lonan. It must be borne in mind, however, that August 5th may represent St. James' Day, July 25th, according to the New Style Calendar, but this seems unlikely, as St. James was never a popular saint in the Isle of Man, and there are no sayings or lore extant in the Island connected with his day.

Feltham, writing in 1797, makes the following observation : "Maughold Fair was much resorted to before the establishment of one at Laxey, it is now but thinly attended." This apparently leaves the matter in doubt as to whether Laxey Fair was old established. The probability is, however, that this fair was an old one, which may have been held near Kirk Lonan old parish church, but which was removed to a centre of population more commensurate with the needs of the parish.

In the Martyrology of Donegal, a Lonan MacLaisre is recorded whose dedication date is August 2nd, which would bring Laxey Fair, August 5th, within the octave of this saint. An ecclesiastical record of the year 1784 shows that the fair was held in that year on August 2nd, which is Lonan MacLaisre's dedication date. We may therefore assume that the church and parish of Kirk Lonan were dedicated to the latter saint.

"The old parish church (Manx Archaeological Survey, 4th report, 1915) on the road to Groudle contains at its west end the foundations of a very early building, about four feet below the present surface. Some of the existing west-end walls seem to belong to the 12th century and these foundations may be three or four hundred years earlier. That the site itself and its use as a Christian burial ground is yet older is shown by two of the cross-slabs found here, which seem to date from the 5th or 6th century."

St. Adamnan of Iona has been suggested as the saint to whom the church and parish of Kirk Lonan may have been dedicated, but we have less evidence to go upon here than is the case with any of the Lonans. The modern form of the name in Irish is Adhamhnan with a pronunciation approximately [...], the first element being nasalised ; whilst our Manx Lonan is pronounced ...] with the stressed vowel always short, as is the Irish Lonan. When the Scandinavian kirk was substituted for the Gaelic cell, and had the church been dedicated to Adhamhnan, we should have expected to find Cell Adhamhnain become Kirk Adhamhnan, and that the former was contracted to 'l Adhamhnain, to which kirk was added later, giving us the modern form Kirk Lonan, seems very doubtful.

Adamnan's dedication date was September 23nd and the Manx Calendar records no festival or fair which corresponds with this date.

The parish of Kirk Lonan extends from Groudle to Slieau Ouyr, a distance of six miles, and from Carnane Bane, on the east of Pen-y-pot, to the sea, a distance of over four miles. The village of Laxey, within this parish, is one of the largest on the Island, and formerly famous for its lead and silver mines. The parish is bounded on the east by the sea, on the south by Kirk Conchan, on the west by Kirk Christ Lezayre, and on the north by Kirk Maughold. According to the Ordnance Survey the total area of the parish is 9422.951 acres.

The Abbot of Rushen held lands in this parish also, which in the 13th century were fairly extensive.

The ancient treen names, of which there are twelve in the parish, are all Scandinavian.


The Abbeylands of Lonan comprise the quarterlands and lands of Skinscoe, Kerrow Doone (Dhoon), Ballar-ragh, Ballamore, Ballachrink, Ballabeg and Croit Kill Nicholas.
Agneash, Treen []
1511, Man. Roll. Hegnes.
1703 ,, ,, Hegneash.
1741 Dioc. Reg. Egneaish.
Scand. Eggiarnes, 'edge ness.' This is a distinct ness, but inland.
Amogarry, Treen. Lost.
1511 Man. Roll. Amogarry.
1739 Dioc. Reg. Amagary.
Scand. Asmundargerbi, 'Asmundr's garth.' This name was Gaelicized MacAsmund, and developed into the modern Manx surname Casement.
Awin y Ghollane [].
'River of the fork.' Laxey and Glen Roy rivers meet here.
1246 Chart. Harald I. of Mann.
We seem to have here a name of the same complexion as Bibaloe, Begoade, etc., - i.e. Bakki-nn alptvað for Alptvaðbakki-nn, 'the bank of the swanford.' Rygh (Norske Gaardnavne) says that the frequent use of alpi (swan) in Norse river-names is probably not connected with the actual birds, but with some fanciful similitude.
The text relating to the name is as follows-"I have given, moreover, to the said monks [of Furness] one messuage containing three acres of land, in a fitting place at Backenaldwath, to build a house, as well for the reception of their men as for a repository for their minerals and other property."
It is probable that the ford was somewhere near Laxey bridge, as the old coast road winds away from either side of it. The river-bank was probably near the ancient church of St. Nicholas, which is mentioned as one of the abbeyland boundaries of Kirk Lonan in the Chron. Mann.
Backenaldwath has been previously identified as the land surrounding St. Trinian's church, but this land belonged to St. Bees', and we have no record showing that it ever belonged to Furness. Again, this land is not mineral bearing, but Laxey has long been noted for its lead and silver mines, and it would appear from the text that the monks of Furness were granted permission to dig for minerals.
It is possible that the name Ballarragh (q.v.) was once applied to a much larger area than at present, and that the name itself is a worn-down form of Backenald-wath. When we consider other names for which early forms are available, there is nothing remarkable in the metamorphosis.
Baie Doo [].
'Black bay.'
Baldhoon [].
1643 Man. Roll. Baldowine.
1867 Wood Balldoon.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Balldowin.
Containing obsolete Gaelic personal name Ir.Dubhdn or O Dubhdin, 'Downe or O'Downe's farm.' In 1511 we find McCowne in the parish, which may have been a later development, from Ir. MacDhubhdin.
Baldrine [].
1643 Man. Roll. Baldrine.
Mx. Bailey drine, Ir. draeighean, 'farm of the black-thorn.'
Baldroma [].
1643 Man. Roll. Baldromma.
Mx. Balley drommey (nom. dreeym), 'ridge farm.' There are two quarterlands bearing this name, distinguished by mooar (big) and beg (little), which are in the treen of Rigg, q.v.
Baljean [].
1643 Man. Roll. Balgene.
1787 Dioc. Reg. Ballajean,
Mx. Balley Faden, Faden or McFaden's farm.' 1511 McFaden ; 1703 Cotteene ; now Cojeen. A surname which was once common in Lonan. Faden becomes Aden in the gen. case. v. Introduction, also Balla-cojeen.
Ballabeg [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballabegg.
Mx. Balley beg, little farm.' Ab. F. Ballacannell [balakanl].
'Cannell's farm.'
Ballacawne Lost.
1643 Man. Roll. Wm. Cowine.
1703 „ Cowne. „ ,, ,, Ballacawne.
'Cowin's farm.' In the treen of Raby.
Ballachoan [].
'Farm of the valley or hollow.'
Ballachrink [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballacrunk.
'Hill farm.' Ab. F.
Ballacogeen [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballacotteen.
„ ,, ,, Jo. Cotteene.
'Cotteen or Cojeen's farm.' A later branch of the McFadens. v. Baljean.
Ballacoar [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballacoare.
'Farm of the heron.'
Ballacollister [].
1643 Man. Roll. Dan. Callister.
„ Ballacallister.
1703 Don. Callister.
'Collister's farm.' In 1511 this surname appears as McAlexander. Probably the Callisters who held Balla-collister in 1643 were a branch of the McAlexanders who held a quarterland in the treen of Alia Begoade, in 1511. Donald McAlexander, of the aforementioned quarterland, was Lord's Moar for the Parish of Conchan in 1511.
Ballacosney [].
Containing obsolete personal name. 'Cosnagh's farm.' (Ir. Cosnach). v. Ballacoshnahan in Kirk German.
Ballacowen [].
1643 Man. Roll. Thos. Cowne.
John McCowne in adjoining treen of Grettest in 1511 'Cowin's farm.'
Ballacowin grawe.
1643 Man. Roll. Gilb. Cowin.
1703 ,, ,, Ballacowin.
Adjoining treen of Grawe. v. Ballacowin and Grawe.
Ballacowle [].
1723 Dioc. Reg. idem.
No McCowles or Cowles are recorded in the Manorial Rolls of 1511, 1643, and 1703, for the parish of Lonan. This quarterland is in the treen of Hegnes and it must have borne its present name at a very early date, although we only find the holder's names mentioned. Ballacowle adjoins Ballayolgane, and it is almost certain that the second element in Ballacowle postulates the saints' name (Comgall), to whom the 'keeill' on Balla-yolgane was dedicated. v. Kell y Cowle.
Ballacregga [].
1643 Man. Roll Balnacregga.
Mx. Balley ny creggey, 'farm of the rock or rocks.'
Balladhoo [].
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Balladew.
Mx. Balley doo, 'black farm.' Doo is usually applied to marshy land.
Ballafargher [].
1643 Man. Roll Wm. Ffargher.
1703 Thos. Ffargher.
„ Ballafargher. 'Fargher's farm.'
1643 Man. Roll.
Mx. Balley giare, 'short farm.' Half quarterland in treen of Alia Colby.
Ballagawne [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballagawne.
Probably a branch of the Gawnes of Kirk Conchan. Thomas McGawne held a quarter of land in the treen of Tremsare, Kirk Conchan, in 1511.
Ballaglass [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballaglass.
'Farm of the stream or streams.'
Ballagawwe []
1643 Man Roll Ballagroa.
1867 Wood. Ballagrow.
Mx. Ballet' ny groa, 'farm of the cotes or pens.'
Ballakey [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballakey.
1867 Wood Ballakoye.
In the treen of Amogarry. 'Key's farm.' Thomas Quaie was in the treen of Brandall in 1703.
Ballakilley [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballakilley.
'Church farm.' Adjoining Kirk Lonan (old) parish church.
Ballakneale [].
1643 Man. Roll. Don. Knaele.
1703 Wm. ,,
„ Ballakneale. 'Kneale's farm.'
Ballaleaney [].
In treen of Brandall. Mx. Balley lheeannee, meadow farm.'
1643 Man. Roll.
Mx. Balley rneanagh, 'middle farm.' Between Ballaglass and Ballacowen. Now Ballaquine, q.v.
Ballameanagh (mooar and beg) [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballamenaugh.
'Middle farm.' Between Ballig and Ballavarane.
Ballamiljyn [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballamillan.
1867 Wood. Ballamilgyn.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Ballmillgen.
Containing obsolete surname. Ir. Maoilin or Mac-Maoilin, 'Millan or McMillan's farm.'
Ballamoar [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballamore.
Mx. Balley mooar, 'big farm.' Ab. F.
Ballaquine [].
1703 Man. Roll. John Quine.
'Quine's farm.' v. Ballamanagh.
Ballaquirk [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballaquark.
'Quark's farm.' The Quarks were in the treen of Colby in 1643 and 1703. In 1511 Donald McQuarke held the treen of Rencullyn in Kirk Maughold, and was the Lord's Moar for the latter parish for that year.
Ballarragh [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballarragh.
1703 ,, ,, Ballraugh.
1867 Wood. Ballaraugh.
Derivation doubtful. Perhaps Balley-arraght, 'farm of the spectre or apparition.' We find Drumarraght, in Fermanagh, Ireland; meaning 'ridge of the spectre.' v. Backenaldwath. Ab. L.
Ballaskerroo [].
1511 Man. Roll John McSkerffe
1643 „ Don. Scarffe
1703 John Scarff
„ Ballascarffe
1867 Wood Ballaskirro
'Scarff's farm.'
Ballavarane [] .
1643 Man. Roll Ballaverane
1703 ,, Ballåvarraine
Containing obsolete surname, Ir. Beards or O Bearain, 'Berane's farm.'
Ballawill [].
1643 Man. Roll Ballaquilleash
1867 Wood Ballawille
Wm. McColleys was a tenant in the Abbeylands of Lonan in 1611. As McWill was a common Lonan surname, it is difficult to say whether the modern place-name is a contraction of the older one or not (Ir. Mac-Giolla losa), 'McColley's or Quilleash's farm.' v. Croit ny Quill.
Ballayolgane [].
1643 Man. Roll Ballagolgane
Containing obsolete surname. Ir. Gealagdn or 0 Gealagdin, 'Golgane or O'Golgane's farm.'
Ballig [].
1643 Man, Roll Ballalugg.
'Farm of the hollow.' v. Ballig in Kirk Conchan.
1703 Man. Roll
From Ir. barr, 'top, high or hilly part ;' with cumulative suffix -char ; Barrchar, 'hilly land.' (Mx. baare, 'a top.')
Barroose [].
Ir, Barr ruiisg, 'top of the marsh.' Rusg, 'a marsh,' is obsolete in Manx.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Bwoaillee bane, 'white fold.'
Braid farran fing [].
1703 Man. Roll Braid
The second element seems to be the Ir. fearann,'land,' rather than farrane (Ir. faaran), 'spring, fountain, etc.' The meaning may be the gorge of the penny land,' i.e. land for which one penny rent was paid. Close to Snaefell mine. Mentioned in the old ballad of Ny Kirree fo niaghtey.
Braid Foss [].
'Waterfall gorge.' v. Glion Foss.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Breckbwoaillee, 'speckled fold.'
Broogh ny eaynin [].
'Brow of the precipice.' On Glen Roy river.
Broogh jiarg [].
'Red brow.' A place on Glen Roy stream. Now in the 'Gardens.'
Brow mullen a gresy.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Broogh mwyllin y ghreasee, the brow or bank of the cobbler's mill.' Probably greasee was used as a nickname, indicating the trade his ancestors followed.
Brundal, Treen [].
1511, 1703 Man. Roll Brandall
1867 Wood Brondal Scand. Brunndalr, 'spring or burn dale.'
Bulgham Bay [].
1703 Man. Roll The Vulgan
Christopher Bell of Ballaragh held an intack bearing this name in 1703. The word bolg (Mx. bolg) 'a belly;' in Irish place-names indicates a place which is subject to gusts or blasts of wind. Bolgán (Mx. Bolgan) is a diminutive.
Bwoaillee Losht [].
1725 Dioc. Reg. Bollee lost
'Burnt fold.' Where the gorse, etc., had been burnt off for the purpose of cultivation.
Cabbal [].
1894 Antiq.I.O.M.
The name of the field where St. Nicholas' chapel stood. v. Capella Scti. Nich.
Callow's Croft.
A common Lonan surname, q.v. elsewhere.
Capella Sancti Nicholai.
c. 1316 Chron. Mann. v. Crot kill Nicholas.
1643 Man. Roll
'Cairn.' Now called King Orry's Grave. On Gretch Veg.
Carrick [].
'Rock.' At Laxey Head.
Carrick Dooan . [].
Probably this should be Carrick dhõne, 'brown rock.' In Garwick Bay.
Cashtallyn [].
'Castles.' Of similar meaning to the Scand. stack. v. The Castles near Port Erin, in Kirk Christ Rushen.
Castle, The.
v. Cashtallyn.
Carrick Roayrt [].
'Spring-tide rock.'
Cheu traie [].
'Shore side.' Outlying part of Kirk Lonan Parish, between Baldrine and Groudle.
Chibbyr air.
1894 Antiq.I.O.M.
Mr. P.M.C.Kermode translates this 'gold well' (Mx. airh, 'gold'). On Croit ny howe, Clay Head.
Chibbyr Donkan ].
1894 Antiq.I.O.M.
'Donkan's well.' At Baldrine. There were two families in Kirk Maughold in 1511 named respectively Donkan and McDonkan.
Chibbyr Niglus,
1894 Antiq.I.O.M.
'Nicholas' well.' "Shore below chapel. Desecrated and filled up." v. Crot Kill Nicholas.
Chibbyr Pharick [].
'(St.) Patrick's well.' A fair was held here on May Day until the year 1834. "About 600 yards to the N.N.E. of the 'Keeill,' by the side of the old road to Keppel Gate, is S. Patrick's Well, formerly resorted to for sore eyes ; it is possible that this had some connection with the 'Keeill,' which may even have had the same dedication." - Mr. P. M. C. Kermode in the 4th Report of the Manx Archaeological Survey, 1915).
Chibbyr Skoij [].
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Chibbyr skeay, 'vomiting well;' i.e. a well out of which the water gushes.
Claghyn garroo [].
'Rough stones.' Mr. P.G. Ralfe says that this is the proper name of a place which appears as Cronk yn Garroo on the Ord. Sur. Map.
Clay Head.
v. Kione ny cleigh.
Cleigh Clagh [].
'Stone fence.' Above Ballaquine.
Cleigh ny Cuilleig [].
'The hedge, fence or rampart of he corner or angle.'
Cley na (Cloy ne) how,
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Cleigh ny how, the fence of the mound or cairn.' There are several cairns on Clay Head. 'How' is from the Scand. haugr. On Clay Head.
Close Gorram [].
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Close gorm, 'blue close.'
Close hoal [klo:s ho:l].
1703 Man. Roll 'Further or outer close.'
Close manaugh [].
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Close meanagh, 'middle close.'
Close Moar [].
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Close mooar, 'great close.'
Close ny eairkan []
1703 Man. Roll
Close na Eearkan.
'Close of the lapwing.'
Close Sty [].
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Close sthië, 'inner close.'
Cloven Stones.
1703 Man. Roll Cloven Stones
"The cloven stones are the only two stones remaining of a small stone circle, which was nearly complete less than a century ago. They were probably so called from a supposition that they had originally been one," (Manx Names). It is facetiously said of these stones that they clap together when they hear the church bells ring.
Clybane [] .
1870 Ord. Sur.Map Croitnecloughbane
Mx. Croit ny cloaie bane, the croft of the white stone.'
Cly ne mony.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Cleigh ny moanee, the fence of the turbary.'
Clytt, The.
'The rock.' Scand. klettr,
Colby, Treen.
1511, 1703 Man. Roll
Scand. Kollabyr, 'Kolli's farm.' This place-name is common in Norway and Denmark, and O. Rygh (Norske Gaardnavne) thinks it refers to the burning of coal or charcoal, so that Kolbyr, 'charcoal farm,' is another possible derivation. v. also Colby in Kirk Arbory.
Cooil Roi [].
Mx. Cooill ruy, 'red nook.'
Cotroie [kotroi] .
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Chotroie
Mx. Croit ruy, 'red croft.'
Cowan More [].
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Coan mooar, 'great hollow.'
Creg Agneash.
'Agneash crag or rock.'
Craftwallyvean [].
1870 Ord. Sur. Map.
'The croft of the white fold.' (y woaillee vane).
Creg y lidjaig [].
Locally it is said to mean 'the rock of the blanket' (lhuishaig) from its appearance. Rock on Laxey beach.
Creg y vuggane [].
'Rock of the buggane.' The buggane was a malicious sprite. The word is probably a diminutive of the Irish puica. In the wood above Laxey Glen Gardens. v. Towl creg y vuggane.
Croit Keeill Vian [].
1894 Antiq.I.O.M.
'The croft of S. Matthias' church.' vv. Keeill Vian.
Croit ny quill.
1643 Man. Roll Mariott Quill.
1703 ,, Crott Inequill.
Mx. Croit Inney Quill, the croft of Quill's daughter' (Ir. MacCuill).
Cronk Moar [r].
'Great hill.'
Cronk ny Fannag [].
'The hill of the crow.'
Cronk y chuil [].
1703 Man. Roll Crot a chule.
1742 Dioc. Reg. Knockesuil.
Mx. Cronk y chooyl (Ir. Cnoc a' t-siubhail), the hill of the walk or procession.' Perhaps a religious ceremonial. There are several keeills in the neighbourhood and the Barony of St. Bees, where there is also a church, is not far away. v. Keeill Vael.
Cronk y Vaare [].
'Hill of the road (bayr).'
Cross, The.
1703 Man. Roll. Cross, The.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Crosh.
On the quarterland of Poolvilla, treen of Swarthawe. v. Poolvilla.
Crot ffartij.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Croit fer thie, the croft of the landlord or the (good) man of the house.' In 1703 this croft was held by Ellen Fargher, Widow.
Crot kill Nicholas.
c. 1316 Chron. Mann. Capella Sandli Nichalai.
1643 Man. Roll. Crot kill Nicholas.
'The chapel of Saint Nicholas,' and 'The croft of Nicholas' church.' This church has now disappeared. It was situated just north of Laxey bridge.
Crot ne carne.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Croit y chars, 'croft of the cairn.' This was an intack near the treen of Colby.
Crot ne cushag [].
1703 Man. Roll
'Croft of the cushag (ragwort).'
Crot ne howe.
1703 Man. Roll
'Croft of the how or mound.'
Crot ne neyn. '
1703 Man. Roll
Unless one hears the pronunciation it is difficult to say whether eayn,'a lamb, or eean,'a bird,' is involved. This name is either Croit ny neayn, the croft of the lambs,' or Croit my neean, the croft of the birds.' Probably the first is correct.
Crot ne quitchell.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Croit Inney Cutchal, the croft of the daughter of Cutchal' (also Custal and Cristal, all forms of Christopher). In 1643 the holder was Mariod Lowny.
Crott Allow.
1703 Man. Roll
'Allow's croft.' From Scand. Olafr : the surnames derived from this name are Callow and Cowley.
Crott Anny.
1703 Man. Roll
'Ann or Annie's croft.'
Crott e Cally.
1643 Man. Roll Wm. Cally.
1703 Crott e cally.
'Caley's croft.' v. Gob ny Cally, which may also contain this surname.
Crott e cotteen.
1703 Man. Roll 'Cotteen or Cojeen's croft.'
Crott e glonney.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Croit ny glionney, 'croft of the glen.'
Crott ne earrowne.
1643 Man. Roll John Carrown.
1703 Crott ne earrowne. 'Carrown's croft.'
Crott pedderag.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Croit Peddyragh, the croft of the McGilpeders.' A Kirk Conchan family in 1511, a member of which may have held this croft between the latter date and 1703.
Crot William Done.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Croit Ilkam dhdne, 'brown (haired) William's croft.'
Modern; a borrowed Eng. or Ir. place-name. There is a Cushendun (Ir. Cois abhann Duinc, 'foot or end of the river Dun') in Antrim.
Dreeym, The [].
'The ridge.' The south-eastern slope of Slieau Ruy.
Drim holby.
1703 Man. Roll
'Dreeym or ridge of Colby,' q.v.
Farberry [].
Scand. Fjarbarberg, 'firth or bay cliff.
On the coast between Laxey and the Dhoon.
Garwick [].
Scand. Gjdrvik, 'cave or giau creek.' v. giau else-where, esp. in Kirk Christ Rushen.
Gary Noa [].
1703 Man. Roll
'New gary or shrubbery.'
1511 Man. Roll John McCowne.
1643 Wm. Cowne.
1703 Phill. „
„ Glan gowne.
'Cowne's glen.' The boundary between Gretch Voar and Veg. The McCowne's were the holders of Gretch Vane, called Grettest Heas, in 1703, and also Gretch Voar. Glen Gowne was also the old name of Garwick Glen.
Glen Agneash.
v. Agneash.
Glen Drink [].
Mx. Glion y rink (Ir. Gleann a' rinceadh), the glen of the dancing.' This word is obsolete in modern Manx, the word daunse, from Eng. dance, being now used. This glen must have been used by the lads and lasses of the neighbourhood as a place of merriment. Or, are the fairies responsible for the name ?
Glen Gawne.
1643 Man. Roll Gilbert Cowin.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Glen Gawne.
'Cowin's glen.' Now called Garwick Glen.
Glen Mooar [].
'Great glen.'
Glen Roy [].
1742 Dioc. Reg. Glanroi.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Glion Ruy.
The modern Manx form means' red glen.' It is possible, however, that the Manx name may be a Gaelicized form of Scand. Grafirdale,'pit or ravine dale.' v. Introducton to Sheading and Grawe treen.
Glen Woolen.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Glion Wyllin, 'mill glen.'
Glion Foss [].
'Waterfall glen.' In this name we find the Scand. fors, 'waterfall.' If the name is old, it would appear that foss had been in colloquial use, as it is in other parts of Britain which have been subject to Scandinavian influence. It may be noted that foss is also a dialect word in Lancashire, from whence we borrowed many words into Manx. Opposite side of Laxey Glen; the thin stream comes down 1000 feet or so in one long waterfall, which is very striking in wet weather.
Gob ny daa slieau []
'The point of the two mountains.' Between Slieau Lhean and Slieau Ouyr.
Gob ny Silvas
'Sylvester's point.' This was once a common Christian name. The genitive feminine or plural article ny is found in place-names with no particular meaning attached thereto, as in the present instance. It sometimes occurs where the masculine genitive article should be. Map-makers, in general, seem to think that a compound name is not complete unless ny is sandwiched between the first and third element.
Gob ny Stowell [].
'Stowell's point.' Used as a watch point in 1617.
Gob y Rheynn [].
'Point of the division.' Boundary between the treens of Grauff and Rauff.
Gob yn uill [].
'Point of the blood.' This may record a battle.
Granane [].
1643 Man. Roll Grennane.
1867 Wood Granane.
Canon Quine connects this name with Irish griandn. Dealing with the latter word, Dr. Joyce, in "Irish Names of Places," says : "The grianans are generally the same kind of structures as the cahers, brughs, etc., and many of them still remain in the places whose names contain the word. The word grianan is explained by O' Donovan 1, a beautiful sunny spot ; 2, a bower or summer-house; 3, a balcony or gallery (on a house) ; 4, a royal palace. Its literal meaning is 'a sunny spot,' for it is derived from grian, the sun.' It is of frequent occurrence in the most ancient Irish MSS., principally in the second and fourth senses; as, for instance, in Cormac'sglossary where it is used as another name for a 'palace on a hill.' O'Brien explains it 'a royal seat,' in which sense it is used by the best Irish writers ; and this is unquestionably its general meaning, when it occurs in topograph ical names. The most common Eng. forms of the word are Greenan, Greenane, Greenaun, and Grenan, which are the names of about forty-five townlands distributed all over the four provinces."
Unfortunately all vestiges of this Kk. Lonan griandn have been swept away, and the stones utilized for building purposes.
Grawe, Treen [].
1511 Man. Roll Grauff.
1643 ,, ,, Grauffe.
Scand. Grðf, plur. grafir,'pit or ravine.' This treen is bounded on the N. by Glen Roy and Laxey. v.Introduction to Sheading, and Glen Roy.
Gretch, Treen [].
c. 1316 Chron. Mann. Gretastaz.
1511, 1703 Man. Roll Grettest.
Scand. Grettisstaðr, 'Grettir's farm' (Mx. Names). Gretch beg and mooar (little and big) were the names of two quarterlands in the treen in 1703. There are now three divisions,- Gretch veg, vane and vooar, 'little, white and great.' v. Grettest Heas.
Grettest Heas.
1703 Man. Roll
Heese, 'lower.' Now Gretch Vane, q.v.
Gudness [].
Canon Quine says that this is a point of land between two streams, and that there is a legend current in the neighbourhood that Gudness was once part of Morest treen, but was relinquished to Rigg treen as compensation for sheep stolen. The Canon suggests Scand. Goõanes, 'priest, liege-lord or chieftain's ness,' as a derivation, and this is probably the correct interpretation. We find another example of an inland ness in Hegnes. The treen of Morest adjoins the treen of Begoade in Kirk Conchan, where also the element goði is involved.
Hoanes, Treen.
1511, 1643 Man. Roll Shonest.
1703 ,, ,, Honess.
1736 Dioc. Reg. Honist.
Scand. Sjonarstaðr or Sjonastaðr, 'scout or look-out farm, or Sjoni's farm.' It is difficult to say whether sjðn, 'sight or vision,' or the personal name derived from it is involved. This farm is 500 feet above sea-level, and a magnificent view of the surrounding country and coast-line may be obtained from it. The hill above rises to a height of 1000 feet. Sjðnarhvall in Icelandic means 'a scout-hill, or outlook-post.'
Horsefall, The.
If this is an old name, it may represent the Scand. Hrossfjall, 'horse fell or mountain.' On the coast between Laxey and the Dhoon.
Injaigyn [].
'Little islands.' (dim. of iuis, an island'). In Manx names injeig usually means 'a piece of land in the fork of a stream, i.e. where two streams join.' Injaigyn lies between two branches of the Groudle river.
Keeill Moirrey [].
' (St.) Mary's church.' On the quarterland of Gretch Voar.
Keeill Vian [].
1733 Man. Roll Crot Kilveyin.
'Matthew or Matthias' church.' It is probable that in place-names Matthias is the saint intended rather than Matthew. The translators of the Scriptures into Manx - probably following the lead of Bishop Phillips - rendered Matthew Mian. A confusion seems to have existed in the Manx calendar between these two saints, and February 25th was often called St. Matthew's Day instead of St. Matthias' Day. Laa'l Mian, Feb. 25th, was St. Matthias' Day, but St. Matthew's Day, September 21st, was not usually recognized ; although Bp. Phillips (in his Manx Prayer Book) calls the former day Lail Nü Meian; but in the case of Matthew, no Manx is given for the day, but the saint is mentioned as Nu Mëin. In the Irish Martyrologies and Scriptures, Matthias is always Madian (Mx. Mian) and Matthew is Matha.
Kell y Cowle.
1703 Man. Roll
This place is mentioned among the intacks in 1703. It was held by the Kewley's of Ballayolgane, in the treen of Hegnes, who were there in 1511. It undoubtedly refers to the keeill which has now disappeared, and the saint to whom it was dedicated was probably Contgall of Bangor (Bennchor). The monastery of Bangor, in Ulster, held lands in Kirk Patrick, I. O. M, known as the barony of Bangor and Sabal. In the Crede Mihi, a book written circa 1270, a Cell Comgall is mentioned, which was in the deanery of Dublin and the place is still known as Kilcool, There is another Kilcoole in Wicklow, dedicated to a Saint Comgall, of whom there were about six, besides the illustrious St. Comgall of Bangor. 'Comgall's Church.'
Kelle y mitchell.
1703 Man. Roll
In the treen of Hegnes, quarterland of Ballaquilleash. In 1511 Michel McKewley was the holder of Ballayol-gane, and in 1703, Michael Kewley, a descendant, held Ballaquilleash. The name suggests a church which has disappeared, but whether the second element postulates St. Michael or the Christian name of the holder on whose lard it stood, it is difficult to say. In Irish, besides the modern form cill; cell andceall (pron. kel and kal) are also found, and we may assume that in Kelle y mitchell and Kell y Cowle, we have an older form than the modern Manx keeill. We find the older Irish form of cill in Caldavnet (Ceall Damhnait), in the parish of Tedavnet, Monaghan, meaning 'Davnet's church.' It is improb-able that keyll (Ir. coill),'a wood,' occurs in either of the two names under discussion, as the treen of Hegnes is high land, and the wooded areas were usually confined to the lowlands even in very early times. v. Kell y Cowle. (Cill was originally the dative or locative form of cell or ceall).
1703 Man. Roll Keelcallaine.
There was a Cell Callain, in the deanery of Grene, Ireland, which is now Englished into Kilkallan, dedicated to a saint Callan. 'Callan or Callaine's church,'
Knock a Tonnish.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Knock or Cronk y tonnysh, the hill of plenty or luck.' Somewhere near Baldromma.
Lag boilley.
1703 Man. Roll
Hollow of the fold.'
Lag Doo. [lag dtu:].
1703 Man. Roll Lagdow.
1882 Brown's Dir. Lagdough. 'Black hollow.'
Laggan Agneash.
'The hollow of Agneash.' Laggan is a diminutive of lag, but in place-names there is little difference in meaning between the stem and the dim. form.
Large mannaugh.
1703 Man. Roll Mx. Liargee meanagh, 'middle slope.'
Laggan, The [].
1703 Man. Roll Crott ne lackan.
1867 Wood Laghan.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Leaggan.
Mx. Laggan, 'a hollow between hills.'
Largey moy.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Liargee mooie, 'outer slope.'
Largey ne mucklaugh.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Liargee ny mucklagh, 'the slope of the piggery.'
Largey Garrow.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Liargee gharroo, 'rough slope.'
Largey Sty.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Liargee sthie, 'inner slope.'
Laxey [l].
1316 Chron. Mann. Laxa.
1511 Man. Roll Laxay.
Scand. Laxd, 'salmon river.'
Lhergey Grawe.
1703 Man. Roll Largey Graw
'The slope of Grawe.'
Lhingey ny cooilley. []
'Pool of the corner.' On Glen Roy river.
Lhingey ny eaynin. []
'Pool of the precipice.' On Glen Roy river.
Liargee veg []
'Little slope.' In Laxey Glen, under the Snaefell railway.
Lieh Kerroo []
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Lhekerroo. 'Half quarterland.'
Martland [martland]
Scand. Markarland or Markland, 'border-land. Here applied to a high cliff seaward of Ballarragh.
Minorca [minarka]
"Was so called by a sailor who had served in the siege there." (Mx. Names). It was formerly intack.
Mona Cashin.
1703 Man. Roll 'Cashin's turbary.'
Mony Honess.
1703 Man. Roll
'The turbary of Hoanes.'
1703 Man. Roll
'Brake or shrubbery.' (Ir. muine).
Mullagh Ouyr [].
'Dun summit.'
Mullagh ny geayee []
'Summit of the wind.'
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Mwyllin beg, 'little mill.' Nikkesen [nikasan]
Canon Quine says that this is the name of a pool on the Glen Roy river, and also a pool on the upper section of Groudle River, and he connects it with the Scand. Nykr. The latter was a water-goblin or horse, very similar to the Manx glashan, or glashtin (from glas, 'a stream.') Scand. Nykrsd-n, the river, stream or water of the goblin.'
Ooigyn Dhoo [:]
'Black caves.'
Patrick's (St.) Well
v. Chibbyr Paarick.
Peolvilla []
1703 Man. Roll Poleyilley
1744 Dioc. Reg. Poolekilley
1867 Wood Pool Hilly
Mx. Poyll killey or chilley, 'church pool.' Probably used for baptismal purposes. There is no vestige of a church here now, but the 6in. Ord. Sur. Map marks a cross alongside a hedge. which may have come from the churchyard. v. Cross.
Port ny cooilley []
'Port of the corner.' The S.E. corner of Laxey shore.
Quoole conny
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Cooill connee, 'gorse corner.' Conney was usually applied to gorse bons for burning.
Raby Treen. []
1511 Man. Roll Raby
1759 Dioc. Reg. Reby
Scand. Rarbyr, 'roe farm.' Probably the king's deer were preserved at estates bearing this name. v. Rheaby in Kk. Patrick.
Rensell []
1882 Brown's Dir. Rensell.
Mx. Rheynn sell; Ir. Roinn sdil, 'willow or sally division.'
Rhaa. Treen. []
1511 Man. Roll Rauff
1703 ,, Rauffe
1867 Wood Rhea
Scand. Rof, -a breach, opening.' The coast of this treen is high land, only broken by Garwick at its southern boundary.
Rig Treen. [rig]
1511 Man. Roll Rig
1643 Rigg
Scand. Hryggr, 'a ridge.' Two quarterlands in this treen are called Baldromma. q.v.
Scootyns, The.
Mr. P. G. Ralfe suggests scuttyn,'rumps'-to which Eng. plural has been added- as a probable derivation. He says that these brows, which are high up Laxey Glen on the N. side, have exactly this appearance.
Scregganagh, Yn [].
This is a compound name formed on creg, 'a rock; and the meaning is simply 'a rocky place.' v. Introd'n.
Shag Rock.
Shag, 'a cormorant.' On the coast between Laxey and the Dhoon.
Skeirrip [].
Scand. Skarfaripr,-'cormorant crag.' The name of a rock lying off the coast of Skinscoe. The Manx surname Scarff is also derived from skarf, 'a cormorant.'
Skinscoe [].
c. 1316 Chron Mann. Skynnescor
1703 ,, ,, Sclnscoe
Scand. Skinskor, 'bright, sheen or shining rift.' Mr. P. G. Ralfe says: "Called so because the rocks here are so strikingly light coloured, they are almost white."
Skoryn, The.
On the eastern slope of Slieau Meayl. v. Skinscoe.
Slieau Chiarn Gerjoil [].
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Carn Gerjoil
Miss Mona Douglas says that the natives call this mountain Slieau chiarn gerjoil, i.e. the mountain of the joyful lord.' The meaning of the Ord. Sur. form is 'joyful cairn.'
Slieau lhean [].
'Broad mountain.'
Slieau Ruy [].
'Red mountain.'
South Cape.
The East part of Laxey, on the hill above the old village.
Spreih vane [sprei vaen].
'White spray.' On Glen Roy river.
Stooil, The []
Mx. stool, 'a seat, stool.' On the coast between Laxey and the Dhoon.
Strooan ny Carlane.
v. Killkellan. This stream runs past the site of the church. 'The stream of (St.) Callan.' The older name would be Strooan ray kill Callan, the stream of Callan's church.' Kill or keeill Callan being treated as a compound noun ; keeill does not assume the genitive form.
Strooan ny Fasnee [].
Strooan y fasnee, 'the stream of the winnowing.'
Strooan ny Gragee.
Creggea is the locative form of creggagh, and simply means 'a rocky place.' In this name we find the phenomenon known as eclipsis, the c being changed to g in the genitive plural. The meaning is therefore the stream of the craggy places.'
Strooan ny Quill [struan a kwil].
'Quill's stream.' In such names as these what is apparently the article is really a worn-down form of mac. In Irish this name would be written Sruthån Mhic (or'ic) Cuill. This surname was written McQuyll and Mc Will in Mann in 1511. Ny is sometimes a contraction of inney. v. Crott ne quitchell.
Swarthow, Treen.
1511 Man. Roll Swarthawe
1643 Swarthaw
Scand. Svarthangr, 'black how or mound.' There is a large tumulus in this treen about 200 yards N. W. of St. Patrick's well, in which a stone Gist has been found.
Thalloovoallagh []
Mx. Thalloo Mollagh, 'rough plot or land.' In the place-name the first element is treated as a feminine noun, whereas it is usually masculine ; hence the aspiration of mollagh.
Towl creg y vuggane [t]
'Hole of the buggane's rock.' In the wood above Laxey Glen gardens, Mr. P. G. Ralfe says that there was a hole in the rocks which gave out, it is said, a voice-like sound, but it is now spoiled. v. Creg y vuggane
Ushtairs []
The name of some small rocks at the S. end of Laxey beach. The second element is probably sker as Moore suggests, (Manx Names) with Eng. plural. The first element is obscure.
Vulgan, The.
v. Bulgham Bay.



Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2002