[From 1903 Examiner Annual]
GEORGE FITZROY HENRY SOMERSET BARON RAGLAN, Lieut.-Governor of the Isle of Man, is the third Baron of the creation, the peerage having been granted his grandfather, the famous Field Marshal who commanded the British forces in the Crimea. He was born in 1857. The present Lord Raglan in 1883 married Ethel, a daugnter of the Earl of Bessborough. There are several children of the marriage, Lord Raglan's eldest son and heir being Fitzroy Richard Somerset, born Loth June, 1885 His Lordship joined the Grenadier Guards in 1870, and retired in 1887, with the rank of Captain, after seeing varied service, official and military, in the United Kingdom and India From 1880 to 1883 he acted as A. D. C. to Sir James Fergusson, Governor of Bombay, and as Orderly-Officer to Major-General Sir R. Phayre, during the second phase of the Afghan War, securing the honour of mention in despatches. From 1900 up to the last General Election, Lord Raglan was Under Secretary of State for War. In August, 1902, he was appointed to succeed the late Lord Henniker as Lieut.-Governor of the Isle of Man, and on the 21st October, 1902, he was instituted in ancient form at Castle Rushen.
THE charming and accomplished helpmeet of the Lieut.-Governor of the Isle of Man is a daughter of the Earl of Bessborough, and she was married to Lord Raglan in 1883 Lady Raglan has always taken a great interest in social and charitable work, and has already notified her intention of identifying herself with such work in the Isle of Man. The portrait shows her ladyship wearing her Coronation robes as a peeress.
J. Clinton, W. Creer, J. R. Hoyle, R. Taggart, J.L. Callister, T. Leece, W. Quayle, T. Crellin, T.H. Clucas, R.R Kermode, J. Cringle J. Watterson, Jas. Clucas, D. W. Kee, J. Caine
T. Clucas, J. Kinvig, J. Clague, Rev. T. Pinfield, Rev. J. D. Percy, D. Teare, E. Killey, T. Christian ,J. Sansbury
Some members of the Peel Wesleyan Quarterly Meeting. This is reproduced by permission of the proprietors of the Methodist Recorder, which excellent journal often publishes racy historic articles with pictures and portraits illustrativeof religious life of the century. (From photo by D. W. Kee Peel).
FOR over quarter of a century the Rev. David Inglis, B. A., has held the pastorate of Finch Hill Congregational Church, Douglas, and during that time he has gained the respect of all the inhabitants of the town, and the love and esteem of very many of them. Nor are these feelings confined to Douglas people, for throughout the Isle of Man there is no more honoured minister of religion. Mr. Inglis is rightfully regarded as the leading Free Churchman in the Island, for though of a retiring disposition, he can at the call of duty battle manfully for that which he believes to be right. He is serving his third term as a member of the Douglas School Board, and was recently appointed to the honourable position of Chairman of that influential public body. Mr. Inglis is a Scotsman by birth.
MR. William Clucas, J.P., was born in Castletown, and in his native town, as in other parts of the Island. he is very well thought of. In his day he has done a great deal to advance the municipal interests of Castletown, and he is yet one of the most energetic and able members of the Board of Town Commissioners for Castletown. Mr. Clucas is Chairman of the Board for the second year in succession. In other directions, too, Mr. Clucas does excellent public service.
MR. W. H. Looney, J.P., is a Northside man, who, however, while still a young man made the city of Peel his home. In Peel he has for many years carried on business successfully as a draper. In the municipal life of Peel, too, he has borne a prominent part. For several years he has occupied a seat on the Board of Town Commissioners, and during the current year he is Chairman of the Board.
MR. John Joseph Salisbury was born in Port St. Mary, and though still a young man he has accomplished much good service for his native place. For some years past he has been one of the Commissioners for Port St. Mary, and for the second time is Chairman of the Board-a position which he fills very worthily. Mr. Sansbury occupies a responsible position in connection with the staff of the Isle of Man Banking Co., Ltd.
MR. George Lucas Trustrum, though not a Port Erin man by birth, is perhaps the most patriotic member of the Port Erin community. For many years he carried on business extensively in the pretty South-western holiday resort, and now that he has retired he resides there, and his interest in the welfare of the place has in nowise abated. He was Chairman of the Sanitary Authority under the Public Health Act, and is at present Chairman of the Commissioners for the third time.
[bp 30 Sep 1855 St Matthews, Douglas, son of George Trustrum and Ellen Kissack (other children bp Douglas and Lonan/Laxey)- bur Rushen 1 Aug 1939 aged 84, main business was Falcon's Nest Hotel but in 1881 described as farmer of 25 acres - also at this time secretary of Port Erin Water company]
THB above is reproduced from a photograph of the large and influential committee which successfully promoted the candidature of Mr. Hall Caine, J.P., the eminent novelist, for election to the House of Keys as Member for Ramsey in 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Hall Caine are shown in the centre of the group.
MR. John Killip, of Ballacollister, is Chairman of the Commissioners of the Village District of Laxey, a position which he fills to the general satisfaction of Laxey people. He takes a very great interest in the weltare of the district, and is particularly keen in his desire to advance Laxey from a sanitary point of view. Mr Killip is a leading Primitive Methodist.
MR. Alderman William Proctor, J P., is one of the worthiest of the many worthy citizens of Douglas. He was unanimously elected to the highest civic office in the borough on the 10th November last, and on the occasion of his election he was very highly spoken of by several members of the Town Council. After serving the people of Douglas for nearly twenty years as a member of the old Town Commission, Mr Proctor was in 1896 elected as one of the representatives of No. 4 Ward to the newly constituted Town Council, and immediately afterwards he was appointed as Mr Alderman of the borough. While on the Board of Commissioners he twice filled the office of chairman, and he has been twice Deputy-mayor. Mr. Alderman Proctor has been a member of the Douglas School Board, and has otherwise been of public service [see Mem Notice 1917].
THis portrait represents the present superintendent minister of the Douglas Primitive Methodist Circuit. Mr Pinnock entered upon his present sphere of work in the summer of 1902. He has been appointed Mayor's Chaplain-the first occasion upon which a Free Churchman has held this position in Douglas.
THE position of Vicar of Malew is generally considered one of the most important positions in the Manx Church. With its six churches and a parish eight miles long by four miles wide for pastoral supervision, it requires a clergyman of considerable ability as a preacher, organiser, and administrator, and on the highest authority it is said to be one of the best worked parishes in the Isle of Man. In addition to the ordinary work of a parish clergyman, the Rev. J. M. Spicer has taken great interest in temperance, social, and philanthropic work. He is Chairman of the Malew School Board, and Chairman of the Malew Board of Guardians, and fills many other public positions. As a special preacher, Mr. Spicer is well-known in many parts of England, and his sermons, as printed in the Examiner and other Manx papers, are always read with interest.
MR. Alfred Nelson Laughton, High-Bailiff of Peel and representative of Peel in the House of Keys, has for over half a century taken a leading part in Manx public affairs. He was admitted to the Bar in 1850, and while in active practice of his profession was regarded as one of the ablest of pleaders in the Manx Courts. He takes a leading part in debates in the legislature, and because of his quickness of repartee and his fund of humour he always commands a good hearing.
SAYS the Porcupine, a bright Liverpool weekly:-
The above is a pen-and-ink sketch by Mr. Hall Neale of our premier portrait painter and popular citizen, Mr. R E. Morrison. Born in Peel, Isle of Man, he was educated in art under Mr. John Finnie, and afterwards in London and Paris. His first important commission was limming the features of Alderman Oakshott, when that gentleman was Mayor of Liverpool; and amongst others whom he has pourtraved are the late Mr. T. H. Ismay (two portraits), Lord Derby, Mr. James W. Lowther (the Deputy Speaker), Sir Peter Walker, the late Sir Thomas Edwards Moss, Sir D. Radcliffe, Sir Thomas Hughes, the late Mr. Gilbert Winter Moss, the late Sir A. B. Forwood, Sir W. B. Forwood, Sir John T. Hibbert (Chairman County Council for the Royal Albert Asylum), Drs. Glynn and Caton, Mr. Hall Caine, and many others. He has been President of the Artists' Club and the Liver Sketching Club, and is President of the Liverpool Academy.
We may add that Mr Morrison served part of his apprenticeship with the late Mr Wm. Nicholson, of Well Road Hill, in this town, in the early seventies, and received his earliest lessons from his friend, Mr John M. Nicholson, at that time. He has expressed himself as being deeply indebted to that able master for much sound advice given to him from time to time during numerous visits to the Island. We are pleased also to state that his daughter, Miss Nina Morrison, shows the strongest capacity for art. Already she has secured a Government Bronze Medal for a figure composition, a work which shows great promise, and a reproduction of which has appeared in a recent number of The Studio.
(I) The promotion of social intercourse and patriotism amongst Mans residents in Manchester and district.
(2) The assistance of Manx persons either in procuring employment, in case of need, or in any other way.
MR. Taggart was the first President of the Manchester Manx Society. His death during his year of office is recorded with regret: it took place on May 28th, 1902. Our subject hailed from Malew, and took great interest in all that pertained to his native Isle.
THE Doctor, who has succeeded to Mr. Taggart's presidential chair, is a son of Mr. Wm. Quine. H.K , Silverdale. The Island has a warm place in his affections.
MR. Philip Moore Callow Kermode, J P., is this year Chairman of the Board of Town Commissioners for Ramsey, and his chairmanship has so far been an unqualified success. Mr. Kermode is an advocate by profession, and fills the position of Clerk to the Northern District. Than Mr. Kermode, no man in the Isle of Man is more learned in the matter of the Island's natural history, and he is also the most distinguished of Manx antiquarians.
THIS interesting and charming picture represents King Edward and Queen Alexandra leaving the Douglas terminus of the Douglas-Ramsey Electric Railway by electric car for Ramsey, on the 25th August, 1902. Their Majesties had a right royal and loyal send off from the Douglas people, and are shown responding in gracious fashion to the hearty cheers of the crowd. Mr. B E Ross, representing the liquidator of the Electric Tramway Company; Mr. H. Brown, representing the purchaser for the new company ; and Mr. F. Edmondson, the resident engineer, were in charge of the car.
Snapshot by J. Coupe.
IN November, 1902, the Isle of Man became an object of national interest in connection with the operations of Messrs. Bacon and Spencer in ballooning. These gentlemen are experimenting for Admiralty purposes. The inflation of the great aerial traveller in front of the Peveril Hotel, and its ascent on the 10th of November, was witnessed by an immense crowd. The line engraving is from a photo by Mr. Harrison, of Onchan; it is reproduced by permission of the Liverpool Post and Echo.
THIs is a view of the Ramsey Swimming Bath (open-air) and tea-rooms which were opened by Mr. Hall Caine, H.K., last summer. That Ramsey possesses an asset so valuable to a seaside resort is mainly to be ascribed to the energy of Mr. Thomas Cowley, merchant, of that town.