The Island and especially Douglas, saw a major tourist boom in the late 1870s
and 1880s - many non-Manx portrait artists came across but soon found that
photography was the most popular with the tourists (most of whom would be mill
operatives from the North of England). As would be expected photographers were
kept busy during the 10 week season - it would also appear that several non-Manx
photographers came across to Douglas purely for the season. Initially (until
c.1890) most photographs would be cartes-de-visite which were small approximately
80mm x 40mm portrait views on thick card with the back given over to an impressive
engraved advertisement for the photographer; later the larger Cabinet Cards
(165 x 110mm) became the norm. Often some indication of a date can be obtained
by looking at the address or other information (e.g. reproductions of awards
obtained at the numerous exhibitions) on this face. A good selection of such
faces is given either on my 'backs' page or in Here
Is the News. Post 1900 the slightly smaller postcard
format became the norm. Most views would be studio views using a standard backdrop
or props (including a tired old donkey!) - thus it is sometimes possible to
date photos by comparing these (a task only possible with access to many dated
photos e.g. as in Manx Museum).
Cartes-de-visite were introduced in the late 1850s and became very
popular by the mid 1860s - they were an economic method of placing up to eight
exposures on a single 10 x 8 inch glass plate, made possible by the the invention
of the sliding plate holder by André Disdéri. They were also used
to illustrate both well known figures and scenery - a role taken over by the
postcard at the turn of the century.
The following list is drawn from various sources including
(the year indicates the directory used), census returns (1881c) or
backs of cartes-de-visite (cdv - generally pre 1900) or of cabinet
cards (cbc - generally turn of century). All entries found are given,
even if no address change from previous year. Photographers were
mostly based in Douglas (by 1890s Finch Road was a Photographers'
enclave) with a few in Ramsey; in a couple of cases they had other
studios off the Island. Any age information is drawn from 1881 census
returns - if no town given Douglas is assumed. I have included only
those active before 1899.
- Art Photographic Co.
- 1902: new studio Queen's promenade, Spence Lees artist + manager (repeated in 1907 directory)
- Barrett, Samuel J. 1855-
- Born Liverpool, card illustrated in "Here Is the News" gives address as 59 North Quay
1871c: 59 North Quay
1881c: census address Victoria St Douglas; brother to cabinet maker James Barrett
1881: 56 North Quay - also Loch Promenade
1883: Loch promenade
- Bean, Richard Lewis 1819-
- listed as Artist (daguerreotype)
1846: 2 Athol terrace (Slater's Directory)
1848: Strand St (Quiggin's Guide and Directory)
1851c: age 32 with wife Margaret + 2 children
- Bell, John
- cdv (date unknown) Victoria Pier
- Bethel, Robert
- 1902 5, Central Promenade (however some cartes de visite exist that would appear to predate this) - also in 1907
also Promenade Studios, Crescent Rd (date unknown); another Promenade Studios, Douglas, Nr. Broadway.
- Bradshaw, L. B.
- 1902: 6 Finch Road -? took over J C Bradshaw's business c.1893
- Bradshaw John Champion, 1847-1925
- One of main supporters in the early days
of the Arts & Crafts movement on the Island (along with J.M.Nicholson
& R. Wane) - a copy of his painting of Douglas Market, which includes a self portrait, is in Journal Manx Museum iv
#58 p104 March 1939)
A very competetant painter - see James W Bell "The Life of the Manx Artist John Champion Bradshaw" IoM:
Lily Publications 2015 (no ISBN given - ?self published) - many illustrations
1881c: a John C. Bradshaw, Artist (Portrait & Landscape), is shown as a lodger at Margaret Gelling's boarding house
at 13 Mount Havelock
1881: Mount Havelock
1883: Mount Havelock
1887: 40 Finch road
1889: 40 Finch road
1893 40 Finch road, Photographic studio now conducted by Mr. L.B. Bradshaw (Brown's Guide, 1893)
[Leonard Barton Bradshaw (1870-1918) was 1st son of John C and his first wife Hannah Barton]
1894: 40 Finch road - left by 1901 (possibly due to financial problems arising from collapse of Dumbell's ) - found in
Manchester in 1901
- Bridson Thomas Arthur, 1863-
- born Marown
1881c: A Thomas A. Bridson, Photographer's Apprentice, is shown boarding with Edward Corlett (suspect relative as his
wife Mary Corlett also born Marown)
1894: 1 Finch-road
- Bruton John E. 1838-1918
- It would appear that James Edward Bruton bought the Abel Lewis
studio at the sale in 1885 - in 1894 address still described as 'Abel Lewis Studio'. J.E. Bruton was born in Port Elizabeth,
South Africa and opened his first studio there in 1858 (working as tobacconist and photographer) - in 1874 moved to Capetown.
Had a number of his African photographs published in various journals. There may be some confusion with a son as one source
states he was still operating a studio in Capetown as late as 1897, whereas he moved to Douglas c.1885 and is found in
both 1891 and 1901 censuses - married Mary Ann Woodman (who died between 1891 and 1901) - a son Gilbert is noted as a
photographic assistant. [see entry in Royal
Commonwealth Society Photograph Collection ]
1887: 10 Finch road
1889: 10 Finch road
1894: 10 Finch road
1902: Harris Promenade (next to Gaiety) - it is possible that by this year Bruton and Warburton were the same company
as Warburton is advertising as operating from this address in 1899
- Burman, James 1796-1864
- Earliest Manx photographer, clerk to Tynwald from 1851, interested in many new scientific ideas, e.g. set up a weather
station at his home. His collection of Glass Slides, dating from 1851, is in the Manx Museum - selections from this have
recently(Jan/Feb 1999) been published by Manx Newspapers.
M.P.Backwell advertised in his guide of 1861 that he has made arrangements
for the publication of 'a valuable series of large Photographic Views from negatives by James Burman'.
- Callister, William 1830-
- Born Lezayre,
1871c: 26 Finch Road
1881c: address 26 Finch Road, Douglas
1881: 26 Finch Road
1883: 25 Finch road [?error for 26]
1887: 26 Finch road
1889: 26 Finch rd
1894: 26 Finch road
(this address was later used by W Cottier Cubbin)
- Carr, Ashton
- cbc - Port Soderick prob 1898-1905
- Chappell, James
- cdv (date unknown) giving 'Artist', Ramsey
- Clarke Edward, 1817-
- cdv - "E Clarke, Photographic Artist, Douglas, Isle of Man" - at bottom of card "E. Clarke Photo Retford"
In 1881 census an Edward Clarke, is shown living at Falcon Cliff Lodge with occupation Photographer(unemployed)
1881: Loch Promenade
1883: Loch parade
- Collister D. 1856-1930 (later D.Collister & Son - post 1931 Harry Collister)
- In some directories a D. Callister is shown - I assume they are the same
Specialised in taking photographs of Cunningham's camp - many views both of the camp
and of individual campers (usually in their Sunday best outside their tent). Later, in late 1910, took his son Harry into
the business and became known as D. Collister and Son
Presume this is the David Collister shown in 1881 census as English born 'Photographers Assistant' aged 24 living with
Manx wife (Mary Jane Bridson) and mother in law at 4 Brisbane St.
Unknown date CBC 'David Collister, late with Mr. Marshall Wane, Regent Studio, Regent Street, Douglas'.
c.1906-1910: Waverley Terrace, Broadway
1910-1911 D.Collister & Son (DC&S) earliest 11 Aug 1910 (same address as above)
1911-1928 DC&S  Palatine Road, Broadway
- Comery, W.
- 1907: 42 Buck's Road
- Cottier Cubbin, W.
- I have one card (probably
c.1905) with address given as 26 Finch Road (see Callister, W). Another card (date unknown) gives Peveril Studios, Victoria
Pier. 'Douglas Centenary' (p43) states that a Mr W Cottier Cubbon of Liverpool was refused permission to operate a 50
seat cimematographic pavillion on Douglas Head, but give no date
He is found in Liverpool Directories at 175a London Rd Liverpool 1896-1908 (thanks to <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~liverpoolphotographers/>.
He is reported as living in the Island from 1908 onwards when he ran Onchan Head Pleasure Grounds. It would appear likely
that he had stopped his photographic business by 1910.
- Cowen George B. 1865-1948
||Son of John Cowen, dyer; born 1865, in 1881 census as 'Photographer' (aged 16) living with parents at 27 Prospect
Produced many fine views, especially of North of Island; many were used by the major postcard manufacturers. One
speciality was specially posed photographs, usually of pretty young women, to illustrate Manx life (e.g. Manx
Maiden & Fisherman's daughter).
On back of one card states "from Mr Abel Lewis" so possibly he served apprenticeship here ? before partnership with
Alfred Moore of Ramsey
cdv: 56 Waterloo Rd
1894: Waterloo-road, Ramsey ('art photographer')
Short Biography & portrait in 'The Tourist iii pp59/60 1899 [ref Cubbon]
- Creer, M. A.
- cdv: plain back - imprint on front M. A. Creer Finch Rd Douglas I.O.M. - not dated and photographer otherwise
not recorded (A. Kelly collection)
- Cuthbert, J.S.
- cdv: Photographer, Laxey, Isle of Man.
1889: Cuthbert J.S., photographer, Dumbell's Row Laxey
- Dean, George Augustus, 1820-1891
Father and son, both George Augustus, both operated as photographers but not it seemed from the same studio.
Was credited as lithographer in several of Manx Society volumes
G.A. senior was born in Portsmouth, son of a Customs Officer Robert and Mary Deane, married Eliza Doige (in Liverpool,
probably at St. Ann's Church). Came to Island some time around 1847 (4th child born Nov 1847 in Douglas).
Some of his 11 children had emigrated to the USA in 1874 - he, his wife Eliza Doige Dean and other children arrived
in New York in Oct 1877, he and most of his family moved onto Cleveland, Ohio where he died following an elevator
accident, in 1891.
Not clear if he ever used the Athol St studio as G.A.Dean,jnr shown there in 1871.
1852 (Quiggin's Guide and directory) G.A.Dean, engraver, shown in Fort Street.
1863 noted as Artist at 46 Duke street
1871c: 49 Duke Street - described as Photographer and Engraver
- Dean G.A. jnr 1842-
Born Liverpool, christened St Martin's, Everton 13 Mar 1842 and came to Douglas with parents c. 1847.
The Photographic archive at St Andrew's University includes a number of Cartes-de-visite showing Manx topographic
views which they date to the mid to late 1860s, if correct then it would appear he set up in business in his early
twenties (possibly confusion with father also G.A. Dean ?). His address on his earliest cards given as Athol Street
opposite the Post Office - this was I think the old Athol St chapel
which became available c.1867.
Moved to Rugby in mid 1890s, though some of family later returned to Island - see
Memorial Notice to son.
1871c: 10 Athol Street
1881c: 10 Athol Street
1883: 10 Athol St
1887: 4 Finch road
1889: 4 Finch Road
1894: 4 Finch-road
- Findlow, A
- cdv "Photographic Views of the IoM" - "A Finlow, Warwick Heliotype Photographer established 1855 (see
also illustration in "Here is the News").
- Fowler, G.H.
- 1894: St Johns (ref A. Kelly)
- Gabriel, T
- 1865: Marina Rd (source newspapers ref A. Kelly)
- Gelling Bros
- 1906: advert in IoM Times states shop on Queens Promenade but no fiurther reference found (other shops were Victoria
Street + Broadway)
have seen CBC with Gelling Bros Queens Promenade Douglas
they were chemists and otherwise unknown as photographers - were they an outlet for Spence Lees (or Art Photographic Co)
or another photographer?
- Goshawk W.
- 1887 CBC (of Glen Helen) W Goshawk, Photographic Artist, Glen Helen & 6, Bucks Road, Douglas. Buck's Road address
was that of a tobacconist's shop - no mention of Goshawk in directories.
- Greatrex, George
- 1874: 36 Prospect Hill (source newspapers ref A. Kelly) [?Greatrix]
cdv: 'late S. Rothwell' - so would appear took over Rothwell's business - suspect same Greatrex who in c 1875
set up a roller skating hall.
- Gregson, James
- Card back in "Here is the News" gives address as 73 Strand Street (no such name found in 1881 census);
In a reprinted story re claimants to an American legacy a photograph (probably
dating late 1870s ?) by James Gregson, 52 Strand St is quoted (that address in 1881 was Milburns, Whitesmiths or Ironmongers
as in some directories).
1869 - 62 Strand St (Advert in IoM Times, April 1869 onwards) - also offers portraits in oils by Mr W. Siddals late of
- Grossi's American Card & Photo Co.
- 1902: 10 Castle Mona Shops and Douglas Head
- Hadley Arthur
- Specialised in photographs of tourist parties in their horse drawn cars (and later in their
1894: 4 South Promenade, Ramsey
also ran a billiard saloon c.1900
- Harrison, E.J.
- cdv: Summer Hill, Onchan. Later became Harrison & Co.
- Harrison & Co
- cbc: Holly bank Studios, Onchan
- Harrison & Shipsides
- 1887 Harrison, Henry Photographic Studio Granville Street.
I have card, date unknown but probably early Edwardian, endorsed "The Promenade Photographers" Studio Granville Street
, opposite Granville Hotel, Douglas. Another Edwardian T. Shipsides card also gives a Granville Street address (as the
street has only 4 houses they are very likely the same!)
- Hoepfner Franz, c.1853-1893
- An Advert for Derby Castle in 1889 Directory gives as one of its attractions
- "The Great Collection of Manx Pictures
Upwards of Thirty in number, embracing the most Picturesque Scenery on Mona's Isle painted specially for this Establishment
by Franz Hoepfner, the celebrated Continental Artist. To Connoisseurs, this feature alone is worth a visit".
Was brought over c.1886 by Bregazzi's to paint murals at both The Palace and Derby Castle (+ Central Hotel, Broadway).
Became infamous in Douglas for his drunken behaviour; committed suicide whilst drunk after wife's death. A brief biography
based on information from the 1893 inquest was given by Martin Faragher in IoM Vic Soc Newsletter #36 1994 - he had been
a sergeant in the Franco-Prussian war and described as "a brilliant conversationalist .. a remarkable but eccentric genius
.. who always carried a revolver"
1889: Victoria terrace
- Hope Frederick
- 1889: Quines Hill, Braddan
- Hulme Arthur
- 1894: 6 Finch-road and Iron Pier. 'Imperial Studio'
cdv: 6, Finch Road & Heaton Lane Stockport
- Jamson, J & C
- cbc: Art Photographers, Rushen Abbey, Ballasalla
- Johns, Stafford
- c.1900 2/5 Walpole Avenue ( ref A. Kelly)
- Johnson, Frederick, 1863-
- There may be two under name Fred[erick] Johnson - a c.de.v. which would appear to date from 1872 has
Fred Johnson, Douglas Head Rd, Douglas but no F Johnson, photographer can be found in 1871 census - possible that a grandson
of Samuel Johnson, bookseller, came over from Liverpool but also possible
that card had been wrongly dated and belongs to the 1880s.
Born Douglas; card back gives address as Fort William Studio Douglas Head Road
have seen back of a c.de.v. which has address F Johnson The North End Studio, Whessoe St, North Road, Darlington
overprinted 68 Strand Street Douglas.
1881c: shown Photographic Artist 68 Strand Street, son of John Johnson, Jeweller of same address
1881: Fort William
1883: Fort William
1887: Fort Anne Road
1889: Fort Anne Road
1894: Fort Anne-road
1902: Johnson's Studio Head Road
1907: Johnson's studio 7 Fort William
cbc: have 'also Express Bridge and Battery Studios'
- Johnson, John
- cdv: 68 Strand St. Presumeably husband of Mrs J. Johnson and father of Frederick Johnson - son of Samuel
- Johnson Mrs. J.
- 1887: Strand Street (in Street Directory given as 68 Strand St - Photographer
and Fancy Goods Dealer)
1889: Strand st
- Johnson Percival
- 1894: 42 Buck's-road in display advert 'Landscape and Portratit Photographer established
1880'; also fancy goods dealer etc
- Kee, Daniel William. 1856-1943
||cdv: Peel. The Kee's were jewellers and watchmakers in Peel - Daniel
William was brother to Charles Kee the other well known watch & clockmaker, had watchmaker's shop at 9 Michael
St, Peel in 1881. Supposedly had a contract as Photographer at Knockaloe
Internment Camp during WWI. Obituary Ramsey Courier 7 Jan.1944.
- Keig, Thomas 1831-1896
Victoria St shop c.1899
|Born Santon. Set up business as Photographer in Douglas from 1862. Strong Primitive Methodist (see biography)
with interest in science, designed original Loch Promenade PM Church; was first Mayor of Douglas but died shortly
after taking office; business continued by his sons but ceased 2010. Took many views of Douglas in 1890s, firm later
well known for its unrivalled collection of TT (motorcycle) photographs.
1863: Prospect Hill; (home 5 Spring Gardens)
1871c: 6 Mona St
1881: 6 Prospect Hill
1883: 6 Prospect hill
1887: Prospect hill
1889: 6 Prospect hill
1894: 6 Prospect hill
1902: Prospect Hill
- Keig & Callister
- cdv: Mona Portrait Gallery, Prospect Hill
possibly T.S. Keig and William Callister ?
- Lees Spence(r)
- 1887: Loch Parade (in street directory at Sea terminal end - no number given Lees, Spencer, Photographer)
1889: Regent St Douglas, and Shaw St, Liverpool [not found in Liverpool Directories - only photographers in Shaw St were
MacMahon & Co [1887-1888] and John W. Walmsley 
In an Advert in John Heywood's 1891 guide:
- ARTISTIC PHOTOGRAPHY.
THERE are not many watering-places throughout the British Isles at which somany facilities are afforded to visitors
for obtaining an exceptionally-good
photograph as at Douglas, where, during the summer season especially, the atmosphere is so wonderfully clear. All
classes of people are catered for by
the Douglas photographers, and the "tripper" can obtain his counterfeit presentment for the merest trifle.
But to those who desire something more
permanent, and, although not expensive, something far beyond the ordinary seaside photograph, a visit to the spacious
and handsome studio erected by the
well-known artistic photographer, Mr. Spence Lees, opposite the General Post Office, may be cordially recommended.
Mr. Spence Lees has earned for
himself a high reputation for the peculiar delicacy and beauty of all work executed at his establishment, whether
portrait or landscape. The studio has
been tastefully and elegantly fitted-up for the comfort and convenience of visitors, and the latest photographic appliances
and improvements have been
secured Mr. W. Rennison (architect) furnished the plans for the studio ; Mr. C. H. Williams executed the plumbing
and gas-fitting work; Messrs.
McAdam and Moore, of Douglas, were the contractors ; while the furniture was supplied by Messrs. Ratcliffe Brothers
and C. Latham, of Douglas.
Visitors to Man, who are desirous of being taken under exceptionally favourable conditions, cannot do better than
place themselves under the skilful
hands of Mr. Spence Lees. Branches have been established at Port Soderickand Glen Mays. At these, as at the main establishment,
moderation in price
is strictly observed. Birmingham and Aston Chronicle
- Lees, W.J. & Co
- cbc: a Spence Lees card overstamped W.J.Lees & Co, Queens Promenade, Douglas, also Laxey & Port Soderick'
- Lewis Abel 1839-1914
Born England, moved to Bristol in 1885, Moore in Manx Note
Book Vol II 1886
notes a large sale of paintings etc from Mr Abel Lewis's Studio on 29 Sep 1885. Studio taken over
by John Bruton.
1864: 9 Prospect Hill (ref A. Kelly)
1871c: 29 Prospect Hill
1881c: 10 Finch Road
1881: 10 Finch Road
1883: 10 Finch road
The back of his cards
will often give an indication of the date - subsequent (? post 1884)
cards claim 'Photographer Royal' and he went back to a printed 'Abel Lewis'
John Bruton copied the same medals and words though he had not won them.
- Livesey, John
- card illustrated in "Here Is the News" gives address as Art Photographer, Ramsey; a John Livsey, of Bolton,
is recorded as proprietor of Rosemount Hotel, Douglas from at least 1876 (aged
57 in 1881 census) - possibly same person ?.
cdv: Ramsey, overpinted T.H.Midwood (rubber stamp) thus would appear that Midwood took over Livesey's Ramsey Business
(must be before 1881).
cdv: Photographic Artist, Fort Ann Road
- Lloyd H.,
- From 1881 census this was probably Henry Lloyd (1843-), Retired Chandelier Manufacturer, living at Pulrose, Braddan
- Manx Studio
- c. 1905 Promenade Ramsey and Douglas
- Marsden, W.
- 1887: Fort Anne road (in street directory given as 4 Fort William - Artist)
- Mayoh, -
- 1887: Loch Promenade (appears only in this directory and no initial given - in street directory given between 56 and
59 as Mayoh, Photographer, next door to Assembly room)
- McLanachan J. L.,
- 1883: 4 Finch road (note this address was later taken by 1889 by Geo Dean).
cdv: of Marshall Wanes overprinted J.L. McLanachan so it would appear that he took over M.Wane's business.
cdv: 'Late of Messrs Elliot & Fry's, 55, Baker Street & Messrs. Dickinson Bros., 114 New Bond Street London. (Photographers
to the Royal Family)
- Midwood & Chappell
- cdv: Artists, Ramsey. Presumeably T.H. Midwood and James Chappell
- Midwood Thomas Horsfell, 1858-1927
- Son of Charles James Midwood (born 29 May 1815 at Manchester, died 17 Dec 1880) and Mary Anne Horsfall. Thomas was born
in 1858 at Ramsey, baptised 27 Dec 1858 at St.Pauls, Ramsey; died Good Friday, 15 April 1927, aged 68, buried at Lezayre
(New Middle Yd), where his headstone referrs to him as a Justice of the Peace. On 24 Nov 1880 he married Alice Jane Taylor
at St.Lukes, Cheetham Hill, Lancs..
1881: shore (Ramsey)
1883: (artist) Promenade Ramsey
1889: South promenade, Ramsey
1894: South Promenade, Ramsey (and billiard-room proprietor)
succeeded by son C. J. Horsell (b. 1878)
He appears to have changed the design on the back of his cards quite often - later cards have an attractive landscape
- Moor, Edwin
- In advertisement in 1876 Brown's Guide "Begs to inform .. that he has commenced Business at the above address.." address
given as No 12 Strand Street (next to Webb's Lounge)". The 1877 edition had "The other Photographic Establishment, bearing
the same name, is not a branch of, nor in any way connected with, this place".
The Moor family originated from Newcastle - some, presumeably transitional, cdv's printed on old stock with address "Mona"
portrait studio 34 Shields Road Newcastle
cdv: 12 Strand Street, Douglas (the design on the back is that of comic 3-legged men)
- Moor, Henry Watson. 1839-
- Born England, an advertisement in Brown's guide of 1877 states that business was established in 1856. In 1877 Cartes
de Visite were 14 for 7s 6d (or 7 for 4s).
1863: Castle Mona Road (A card back also gives studio address as Castle Mona Road, near St Thomas's Church)
cdv: Castle Mona Road opposite Wallace's Baths
1871c: 8 Cambridge Terrace (Census has H W Moore)
1881 census gives occupation as Photographer and Grocer with address at 16 Falcon St, Douglas.
1881: 4 Marina Road
1883: 4 Marina road
1902: 37 Derby Rd
- Moore Alfred
- 1894: 23 Waterloo-road, Ramsey
cdv: 'Photographer, Mount Morrison, Peel
cdv: with Ramsey address + 'from Abel Lewis' - so probably served apprenticeship here ?
- Moore and Cowen
- The Cowen was G.B Cowen who sometime before 1894 branched out on his own.
1889: 23 Waterloo rd, Ramsey
- Morton Star Photo Co.
- A studio card, probably of around 1900, impressed 3, Strand Street, Douglas - no other photographic establishment is
known at this address, which in 1894 was the address of Douglas & Rylands, tool dealers & ironmongers..
- Myers Henry
- 1862 Leech's Guide described as Watch & Clock Maker and photographic
artist, Parliament st, Ramsey; T.E Brown in a letter dated 1862 refers
for a cdv as probably being by Myers.
- Nicholson, John Miller 1840-1913
- Better known as artist but produced many fine photographs - Manx Museum
have good collection, several of his views published
1881: St Thomas' walk
1883: St. Thomas' walk
1887: St Thomas's walk
1889: St. Thomas walk
- Okell, J
- 1855: Strand St, advertises in 1855 edition of Kerruish's Guide as offering 'Chromo-Photographic Portraits. Likenesses
taken on an improved Principle, in all weathers combining the truthfulness of a Photograph with all the beauty of a highly
finished Minature'. Not clear what relationship, if any, to William Okell, born Warrington who arrived in Douglas 1847
and became a well known brewer.
- Ormondroyd, Miss S.E.
- 1887: Finch road (however in Street Directory under Finch Road there is no mention of her - possibly working from or
at one of the several studios in that road?)
cdv: 'Successor to L.E. Morgan' (Morgan is so far unrecorded)
- Patterson, George 1846-1914
view on back of cdv
|Born Manchester, by 1881 married to Euphemia (10 years his junior); son of William Patterson, Superannuated Minister
of United Methodist Free Church, who was living as a widower with son and daughter in law.
1871c: 1 Mona Terrace,Ramsey
1881 census as Photographer
1881: 3 Ballure Rd, Ramsey
1883: (artist) Ballure Rd, Ramsey
1889: 56 Waterloo rd, Ramsey
cdv: 3 styles all with address 'Parade, Ramsey'; according to Constance Radcliffe 'Shining by Sea' p199 in business
for about 20 years from 1871
- Patterson & James
- In 1876 Brown's Guide address given as "The Studio" Ballure Road Ramsey
- Peveril Studio
- Victoria Pier, Douglas - have one small photo dated 1902; also associated with Cottier Cubbin.
- Powell J.,
- 1863 directory described as Photographer/artist address Castle street; (home 11 Great Nelson street)
- cdv: Port Erin
- Robinson Alex,
- cdv Alex Robinson - using a standard Berlin made cdv - see backs
1883: Victoria pier, Douglas
- Robinson Bros
- Founded 1890 by Alfred William and George Henry Robinson, sons of Henry
Robinson, builder and architect. Cubbon (Bibliography vol II p1174/5)
gives a short history: Alfred having served an apprenticeship at the Manx Sun became foreman whilst his brother,
Henry had served an apprenticeship with Abel Lewis. According to Cubbon they hoped to develop the photomechanical side
of the publishing business concentrating it seems on the sporting press 'Robinsons Sporting Tissue' in 1892 and in 1896
'The Isle of Man Sporting News and Manx Tissue'. However they failed to make it a commercial success though the printing
business continued under two of Alfred's sons.
1894: 19 Athol Street
1904: - 1907 19 Athol Street
- Roth Theo,
- Postcard c.1908 gives address Garden Studio, Glen Helen and Peel, IoM
- Rothwell Samuel, 1834-
- 1863: under artist/photographer address Prospect Hill, Douglas; (home 3 Auckland Grove)
1869 - (adv in IoM Times April 1869 onwards) Prospect Hill (Established 1857)
1871c: 6 Hill St (born England)
- Seamen, D.B. & Co,.
- cdv: Castle Mona, Promenade, Douglas & 75, Lime Street, Liverpool [1898: 99 Hanover St Liverpool, 1900-1909: 75a
Lime St, Liverpool, c.1908 Seamen & Co]
- Shipsides Thomas
- on back of one card is 'Established 1882' - in 1887 a J. Shipsides was running the Fleetwood
Arms on North Quay
1894: 36 Fort-street
1902: Granville St
an undated card but probably c.1905 has Granville Street, Douglas and at Mount Murray - see Harrison & Shipsides.
- Southward, Francis, 1836-
- Stott, J.W.
- cdv: 18, Broadway, Douglas
- Stuart, William M.D.
- 1881 described as Photographer, age 22 born Scotland, lodging at 3 Christian Road (other boarders all had jobs in Douglas)
- Sullivan, H.A.
- In IoM Illustrated, 1907, set of Laxey Glen photos by H.A.Sullivan, Artistic Portrait Co., Laxey Glen Gardens.
- Swales, J. 1849-
- cdv: Castletown. This is probably James Swales, 'Copper Miner and Publican' who kept the Public House at Derbyhaven
in 1881; from census data would apprear to have arrived on Island from Sheffield c. 1878.
In 1907 IoM Illustrated advertises as 'Watchmaker, Jeweller, Silversmith and Optician' (dealing in Photographic
materials) Malew St Castletown, 'Established 1884''
- Swales, V.L 1871-1939
- cbc: Port St Mary. A Laurence V. Swales is shown as son of James Swales
in 1881 census; born Sheffield. Later became a PM Local Preacher.
- A cdv with a pasted on photo has been seen with photographer indentified as Venmore Studio Fort Anne - possibly c.1905
though name not found in newspapers.
- Walton, John W.
- cbc: 53 Athol Street, Douglas. Branches Glen Helen, Groudle Glen, Laxey Glen Gardens, Glen Maye & Garwick
postcard Sept 1909 - "Castle Hill" Victoria Rd Douglas - would appear to be taken at Groudle Glen (label 2673)
1901c: 26 Finch Rd : John Waring Walton, age 39, photographer & science teacher,born England, wife Ann G, age 33 born
1902: 6 Palace promenade - also 1907.
- Wane, Marshall, 1834-1903
- An advertisement in 1877 Brown's Guide quotes awards and medals dating from 1869
Little is known about him except supposedly was of Cumbrian stock [J. Manx Museum VII #83 plate 13 1967], in 1861
census noted, in Douglas, as aged 27 with wife Rosina (aged 25), a search of the IGI yielded only one match - Marshall
Wane, son of William and Mary Wane christened at Manchester Cathedral 15 Dec 1833. Died at 25 Montgomery Street, Glasgow
on 14 December 1903, death certificate stated father William Wane, Goods Warehouse Shipping Clerk (Foreman) - mother
de Tolly . Had a (?adopted) brother Richard Whittaker Wane active in early Arts and Crafts movement in Douglas and a recognised
artist - I have seen a cdv back "Messrs R. Wane & Nunn Photographers from the Isle of Man .. Bridge St Manchester".
Newspaper reports give a Cumbrian background for his mother. Active between 1863 and 1882 when noted
that he had left the Island. The Manx Museum hold some 20,000 portrait negatives. Would appear that J.L. McLanachen
took over business by 1884.
1863 directory described as Artist with address Prospect Hill (home address 3 Mount Pleasant)
1869 - 18 Prospect Hill (opp Athol St) - advertises in IoM Times from July 1869 (also reference to medals/awards from
1871c: 3 Derby Road
cdv: post 1877 shows 'and 82 George Street, Edinburgh'
1881: census - Wife (age 43 born England) + 6 children (aged 19 to 6 and all born IoM) living at 4 Bernard Terrace Edinburgh;
Marshall Wane was visiting James Hogg (photographer) in Kendall - on census return age given as 50 and born in Scotland.
Thus it appears he had just arrived on Island in 1861 and moved to Edinburgh around 1876 keeping a studio in Douglas.
1881: 4 Finch Road
1883: 4 Finch road
I have two cards, with similar backs, both 'M. Wane, Photographer next to the Victoria Hotel, Prospect Hill' but one with
a Royal Arms for 'Honourable Mention for Artistic Merit, International Exhibition, Dublin, 1865'. The next change was
c.1870 in which he advertises a 'new studio, 4 Finch road' and shows a 1869 medal; this was augmented by an 1872 + mention
of two 1873 awards.
Moved to Edinburgh c. 1879 where he opened studios at 82 George St (Wane Marshall & Co from 1903 following his death)
and post 1907 at 130 Princess Street - a speciality was hand-coloured portraits. He also established a studio in Ayr from
1888 though this seemed to run into financial difficulties. (see <http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/PP_V/pp_wane_studios.htm>)
- Warburton W. H.
Taken from IoM Illustrated, 1907
Card back (c.1900) gives address as Harris Promenade
1892 card has 2 Marina Terrace as address
1894: Marina-road (Marina Lawn in Directory)
1899 advertising Harris Promenade address - this is also the address of J.E.Bruton's studio
1902: Harris Promenade
1907: Harris Promenade next door to Gaiety 'also for the Popular Midgets' !
- Weaver, G.C.
- Laxey 1895 - view of Canon Quine is attributed to him
- Windsor, W.
- 1907: Church Rd Marina
- Wilmott, J.H.
- ?pre1900 cabinet photo with purple hand-stamp 'J.H. Wilmott, Portrait Painter and Photographer' - the Wilmott's were
a Peel-based family
- Woodcock, Francis 1840-1915
- Born Preston, England, married Margaret Shields in 1858; an advert in the 1889 directory states that he has had studio
on Douglas Head for over 20 years.
1871: 8 Dumbells Road, Laxey
1877 advertisement in Brown's Guide gave addresses as Douglas Head and No 3 Duke Street where all photographs will be
1878 Brown's guide states that has now enlarged studio on Douglas Head and opened a shop next door (no further mention
of 3 Duke Street)
1881 census gives occupation as Photographer Artist with address at Douglas Head; a card back gives address as F Woodcock,
snr, Castle Studio Lancaster and Douglas Head.
1881: Douglas Head (advert also gives a Miss Woodcock, late of Mossley, Private Lodgings)
1883: Douglas Head
1887: Douglas Head
1889: Douglas Head
1894: Douglas Head
cbc: Imperial & Queen Studios, Douglas. Branches: Lodge lane & 91A Gt. George's St. Liverpool
His son, Francis A., born 1864 was also a photographer and moved to Liverpool [15 Lodge Lane & later also 91a Great
George St 1893-1900] where he is buried. Francis senior, and wife, are buried in Douglas.
- Woolnough, John
- 1881 Brown's Directory - photographer 59 South Quay - in census John A Woolnough , Decorater, Painter, Grainer, aged
37 from Middlesex (with family most born in London - youngest 5 year old born in Ireland)
The 1871 & 1881 census includes the following who describe
themselves as Photographers but cannot be found as such in any
- Bashford, William, 30 Finch Road, Douglas, age 27 -
photographer born England
- Cowell, John, 3 Back lawn Strret, Douglas, age 15 -
- Prebble, William, 3 St Georges Walk, Douglas, age 15 -
- Proctor, William B. , 29 Castle Street Douglas, age 16
- Kermode, William, 9 Richmond Grove, (born Natal) described
as retired Photographer &c, aged 30
- Kewley, Walter E., 28 Derby Road, aged 21
- Morrison, Harry A. 9 West View Ter , aged 21
- Robinson, Joseph , 9 Harris Ter, aged 18
Manx Radio Here is the News: An Illustrated Manx
History Douglas:Manx Experience (ISBN 1-873120-09-5) n.d.
Manx Museum MPA Information Sheet #31 [MM MD
938] has a list of photographers including those post 1900.
J Handley Victorian Photographers at Work Princes Risborough:Shire Publications
1997 (ISBN 0-7478-0358-7)
C. W. Hill Ephemera: carte-de-visite Antiquarian Book Monthly Review II #3
March 1975 p11/12
Acknowledgement also to Mike and Alan Kelly of Mannin Collections for additional
Last updated 14 Jan 2012
Any comments, errors or omissions
gratefully received The
F.Coakley , 2000