[From 1904 Examiner Annual]
THIS picturesque old bridge is situated in Silverdale (near Rushen Abbey), and it crosses the Silverburn. It is what is known as a pack bridge, i.e., a bridge sufficiently wide to admit of the passage of a horse with packs slung across the back. Of romantic appearance, the fine old structure, which is probably ca val with Rushen Abbey, is beautifully situated. Messrs. Boots, Ltd., the famous cash chemists, have kindly,lent us the block from which the illustration is printed.
(Mr. Councillor R. H. Cubbon, J .P.)
One of the most unassuming, and yet one of the most respected men in the Isle of Man is Mr. Councillor Robert Henry Cubbon, a gentleman who has rendered the borough of Douglas some excellent service. Though not a Douglas man by birth, Mr Cubbon has been a resident in the town during the last 30 years, and the town holds no more patriotic citizen. The subject of this sketch was born at Ballaconnal, in the parish of Arbory, a little under fifty years ago, and after receiving his education first in the parish, under the late parochial schoolmaster, Mr John Curphey, and afterwards at the Castletown Grammar Schools, under the head-mastership of the late Rev. B. J. S. Lupton, he served his apprenticeship to the drapery business in Castletown He then came to Douglas, and served as an assistant for a short time While yet a young man he started business in conjunction with Mr. John T. H. Cottier, and the firm still flourishes. Eight years ago Mr. Cubbon was elected to the Town Council as one of the representatives of No. 2 Ward, and he has since been twice re-elected His municipal career has been marked by earnestness, industry, energy, and integrity, and his election to the high office of Mayor was cordially approved in Douglas and throughout the Island.
MR. Fred. Browne has been a member of the Manx Bar for nearly thirty years. Though not a native of Douglas he hails from Erin he was bred, and received a considerable portion of his education, in the principal town of this Isle. He has built up a large practice in Douglas, and especially is he renowned for his knowledge of company law and of procedure in connection with applications for Parliamentary powers. He is Revising Advocate under the House of Keys Election Acts for both North and South Douglas and for Middle heading.
This picturesque feature of Laxey is too little known to visitors.
These mines have in the past produced large quantities of silver and lead, a vigorous effort is now being made to restore their one time prosperity.
MR. Prescott hails from East Lancashire, and is a member of the Association of Municipal and County Engineers and Surveyors, of the British Association of Waterworks Engineers, of the Sanitary Institute, and of the Society of Engineers. After completing his articles to a firm of Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors, Mr. Prescott gained considerable practical experience in municipal engineering in the boroughs of Dunkinfield (Cheshire) and Luton (Bedfordshire). Nearly six years ago he was appointed to his present position as Borough Surveyor of Douglas, and since his appointment he has carried out a number of very important works. He designed and supervised the erection of the New Public Markets ; the Isolation Hospital and accessory buildings ; he laid out the New Cemetery grounds ; formulated the scheme for extending the borough boundaries; and designed the scheme for the drainage of the new area. He has had, too, the full responsibility on behalf of the Council of carrying out and organizing the main drainage works of the borough, now nearing completion, at a cost of £77,000. Last September, Mr. Prescott was appointed Town Engineer of East London, South Africa, out of 104 applicants, at a commencing salary of £800 per annum, but he eventually declined the position.
MR. Thomas Stowell., secretary and Manager of the Isle of Man Railway Company, was appointed to the responsible post which he now holds in May, 1903, in succession to Mr. George H. Wood, who after over thirty years service resigned the management of the Company and joined the directorate. Mr. Stowell, who is in the prime of life, is a Douglas man by birth and breeding. He was intended for the scholastic profession, but while still a youth he joined the office staff of the Isle of Man Railway Company, and soon attained to the chief clerkship. Subsequently, as has been stated, he became secretary and manager. So far, his control of the company's concern has been marked by liberality and conspicuous ability.
THis is the day of the young man, and Mr Harold Brown, manager of the Manx Electric Railway Company, is a young man who has in this Isle earned a big reputation for himself. He as a youth joined the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, and by dint of ability and industry he obtained quick promotion, and was eventually appointed to the headship of the company's goods department at Douglas, a position which he held when he was selected nearly two years ago by the proprietors of the Electric Railway Company to manage their very important concern. His management has been marked by great energy, and since he was appointed to the management the passenger traffic on the company's lines has developed in remarkable fashion.
MR. John Scarffe who, though resident in Liverpool, is a descendant of the Scarffe's of Ballaskirrow, in Lonan, and on his maternal side is connected with Peel, is a patriotic Manxman. He is associated with Liverpool journalism, and is on the staff of the "Liverpool Courier"; is a Vice-President of the Liverpool Manx Society, and is an ardent supporter of the social and philanthropic objects with which that institution is identified; he is, moreover, an effective speaker, and frequently takes a prominent part in the deliberations of the Liverpool Manx Society. Mr. Scarffe manifests a profound interest in regard to Education, and is a manager in connection with the Central Education Authority for Liverpool. He is a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and has filled, with credit to himself and advantage to the church, almost every office open to laymen in that Communion, including the highest position, namely that of Circuit Steward; he likewise enjoys the honour of a seat upon the executive of the Methodist Council for the Liverpool District.
These legendary stones, which are situate near Baldrine, are jocularly said to clap together whenever they hear the church bells ring.
Showing the new premises of the Isle of Man Banking Co. Ltd.
MR. William Henderson Walker, Chartered Accountant, of Douglas and Liverpool, has during the last four years been Tery prominently before the people of the Isle of Man. He was appointed liquidator of Dumbell's Banking Company, Ltd., and has conducted the winding-up of that ill-fated concern, and the distribution of the assets, with conspicuous ability and great tact-it is not too much to say that Mr. Walker has been mainly responsible for the commercial recuperation of the Island. He also was liquidator of the Isle of Man Tramways and Electric Power Company, Ltd., and has wound up many other large but unfortunate concerns. His firm occupies the position of Government Auditors in the Isle of Man, and has a very large practice in Liverpool. It will doubtless be of interest to Manx people and others to learn that since the failure of Dumbell's Bank, nearly four years ago, Mr. Walker has received and distributed over one million pounds sterling (£1,000,000) in connection with Dumbell's, the Tramways, and other Manx concerns. This is a large sum taking into account the smallness of the Manx community. -Mrs. Walker, it may be mentioned, is a niece of Mr. Dalrymple Maitland.
Interior of PEEL CHURCH as before the hurricane of February, 1903
Interior of PEEL CHURCH the day after the hurricane of February, 1903.
Damage which will take over £3,000 to make good was caused to the structure. There was a very liberal response to Bishop Straton's appeal in aid of the restoration fund.
Charles Thomas Cheslyn Callow, Vicar-General of the diocese of Sodor and Man, was born in Douglas about fifty years ago, he being the eldest son of the late Mr. Thomas Cheslyn Callow, who was for many years one of the leading members of the Manx Bar, and who far several years was Archdeacon's Official-a post which in those days was one of considerable importance. Mr. C. T. C. Callow was educated briefly at King William's College, and on leaving that institution with a good record he studied for admission to the Manx Bar in his father's office. He was admitted in 1875, and became his father's partner. On the death of his father he was joined in partnership by the late Mr. J. J. Creer, and, on the death of Mr. Creer, Mr. C. Hughes-Games came into the firm. For several years Mr. Callow has been secretary to the Highway Board and the Local Government Board. His appointment to succeed to Mr. Samuel Harris as Vicar-General was a very popular one.
THE Rev. H. Mudie Draper, the popular junior minister of the Douglas Wesleyan Methodist circuit, was born at Harrow, July 18th, 1872. He is of Methodist parentage and up-bringing. His education was obtained at the City of London Schools of the Haberdashers' Company. After seven years of business life he was accepted as a candidate for the Wesleyan ministry, and trained in Handsworth College, Birmingham. Since leaving College, in 1896, he has laboured at Portsmouth, where he was chaplain to the troops, Tredegar in South Wales, Bognor in Sussex, until in 1901 he came to Douglas. Mr Draper is a very versatile man, a good preacher, and a hard worker. Apart from his successful ministerial work, he has splendidly served the Free Church Council as secretary; and is widely known as an enthusiastic photographer, being the founder and president of the Isle of Man Camera Club.
SURGEON-GENERAL Alfred Sanderson, M.A., M.D., is a retired Army surgeon. He went through the Indian Mutiny, and received medal and clasps; served at the War Office, as a member of the Army Medical Board in London ; and before his retirement was offered by the Madras Government the Deputy Surgeon-Generalship of the whole of British Burmah. Is J.P. for a; Scotch county- Was elected to the Douglas School Board last year, and won his present seat, (South Douglas) in the House of keys by 372 votes, thus placing him at the head of the poll.
THE first working man ever elected to the House of Keys is Mr Thomas Henry Cormode, who, in the General Election that took place during November, 1903, successfully contested against Mr A. N. Laughton for the Peel seat in the House Mr Cormode is a working blacksmith, who plies his craft at a forge situate upon Quine's Hill, within three miles of Douglas He is a Primitive Methodist local preacher of high repute, and no man in the Island is in greater demand for pulpit purposes As a temperance advocate, he has for many years past taken foremost rank in the Island. An ardent Radical, he has ever championed the cause of the workers, and his return to the House is a distinct triumph for democracy. Mr Cormode, who is still a young man, is a remarkably fine orator. He in his speeches and sermons employs pure and simple yet vigorous English, and the suspicion of Manx accent which marks his delivery gives a delightful flavour to his utterances.
MR William R. Creer was born at St. John's (I.O.M.), but his parents removed to the United States when he was about nine years old. He is one of the best known Manxmen in Cleveland, Ohio, he having been President of Mona's Relief Society for the past eight years. He. has also served as Treasurer of Mona's Mutual Benefit Society, commonily known as " The Manx Club." Mr Creer has been Secretary and Treasurer of The Cleveland Savings and Loan Company ever since its organization in 1896. He is also a member of the Cleveland Chamnber of Commerce. During the past summer, in company with his wife, Mr Creer visited the Isle of Man, where he has many relatives
The: LATE MR. H. CUBBON (obit. -1891).
HE was known throughout the Isle of Man as an Evangelist, speaking both Manx and English fluently.
MR. Thos. CORLETT
OF the Laxey Glen Flour Mill. Having represented Garff Sheading in the House of Keys for some years up to the Dissolution in 1903, and having acted as a member of the District Licensing Bench, Mr. Corlett has done the State some service.
THESE two gentlemen are perhaps best known as standard-bearers of the Wesleyan Church in Laxey for many years.
IT was in the year 1880 that Mr. S. K. Broadbent began publishing "The Isle of Man Examiner " During the intervening years, as is well known, the journal has attained wide-popularity with the Manx public. Increased demands upon space for the dissemination of news, the discussion of public questions, and for advertisement purposes, led the proprietors to enlarge the paper in August last to sixty-four columns. It will be of interest to mention that, of the staff which assisted Mr. Broadbent in the first issue of the paper, only two members are now in the employ of the firm.
MR. ARTHUR C. LEWTHWAITE
Within a very few years from the foundation of the paper Arthur Cannan Lewthwaite began his apprenticeship in the establishment; and having in due course acquired a knowledge of the industrial, literary, and commercial lines of the concern, he, on the firm being in 1896 made a semi-public limited liability affair, became and still is a director of the company, and also its secretary. Mr. Lewthwaite belongs to a family which has long been well-known in Douglas and vicinity, and whose history in Man counts for more than a century.
Mr Wm. Moore who belongs to a well-known Port St. Mary family, served his apprenticeship to the bakery business with Mr. Clague, of Peel. For some years he has been in business in Liverpool, and a commendable ambition having led him to enter several exhibition contests. Mr. Moore met with marked success, having won five silver cups, medals, 30 diplomas, and monetary and other prizes. The largest cup shown was won at the London Exhibition this year, and carries with it over £300 cash. Some 10,000 bakers entered the competition.