Iron Pier

Designed by John Dixon a London Engineer and built at a cost of £6500..

Iron Pier (ILN)

Foundation stone laid January 1869 and opened by Mrs Loch 19th August 1869; supposedly dismantled and sold to Rhos on Sea in 1892 though some doubt has been cast on this ; the refreshment room/pavilion at the end of the pier was used at Groudle as Dokie's Cafe.

The entrance was at the foot of Broadway; the pier streching for some 1000 feet.

A local poetaster, J M Sutherland wrote 'The Douglas Iron Pier'

Iron Pier

The charge (in 1874) was 1d a visit, 1s 6d a month or 5s per annum.

Iron Pier c1890
The Iron pier around 1890 - note the Falcon Cliff Dance Hall (demolished 1896)
the sheets on the beach are being dried after laundry for the boarding houses

 Return to Douglas Index


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 1999