[From Manx Quarterly, #5 Nov 1908]


Died October 4th, 1908.

It was learned with widespread grief in Douglas, on Sunday, Oct. 4th, that Mr Joseph Cowley Sharp, son of Mr Councillor Joseph Sharp, J.P., Mayor of Douglas, had been killed as the result of a fall from a gangway between the s.s. Douglas (which was lying in dry dock at Birkenhead) and the quay. Mr Sharp was well known in Douglas, and the news came as a great shock to the wide circle of his acquaintances, The accident happened on Sunday morning, and as soon as he became aware of it, Mr M. Ellwood, the father-in-law of the, deceased gentleman, wired to a friend of the family resident in Douglas, whose painful task it was to break the news of the shocking fatality to the bereaved relatives. Although this was done with the utmost tact, both the mother and widow of the deceased were rendered prostrate with grief, and the services of Dr Marshall had to be called in.

As to the circumstances surrounding the fatality, they were fully inquired into at an inquest held at Birkenhead on Monday by Mr Cecil Holden.

The Coroner said the deceased went to the ship repairing yard of Messrs Cammell-Laird, where the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co.'s steamer Douglas was lying. He intended to go on board the Douglas to see one of his friends, who is chief steward of the steamer, He got to the dock about 1-30 p.m., and having gone on board and had a chat with his friend, he ultimately left him and ascended the ladder to reach the top deck, intending to get on to the quay and proceed to see his father-in-law, Mr Mark Ellwood, an insurance superintendent, who resides at 25 Hamilton-square, Birkenhead. Immediately afterwards a noise attracted the attention of the persons on board the Douglas, and upon investigating the cause they found Mr Sharp lying at the bottom of the dock. He had evidently fallen from the gangway that led from the steamer to the quay. He died shortly afterwards, being promptly removed to the Borough Hospital. It appeared that the deceased's left leg was paralysed, and this affliction made it extremely difficult for him to walk. No doubt this had been largely the cause of the unfortunate accident, He (the Coroner) had been down to inspect the gangway, and it seemed to him to be quite ample for the ordinary purposes of a gangway. Deceased had evidently fallen when he got to the end nearest the quay, because the place where he struck the ground was immediately underneath,

Mr Mark Ellwood identified the body of the deceased as that of his son-in-law, who lived at 11 Primrose-avenue, Douglas, and who was a married man with two children. Deceased, when be was a baby, had had a stroke, which had affected his left leg, but otherwise he was perfectly healthy. He came from the Isle of Man on Sunday, called upon witness, at whose house he left his luggage, and went to the s.s. Douglas, promising to return shortly for dinner.

John Thomas Clague, 5 Albany-street, Douglas, chief steward on the steamer Douglas, said he knew deceased quite well, At 1-30 on Sunday he went on board the steamer to see witness, being accompanied by Arthur McCann, the second steward of the s.s. Fenella. Sharp told witness he had arrived at Birkenhead from the Island that day, having come over for a short holiday. McCann went away, and Sharp stayed chatting with witness for about three-quarters of an hour, He then left, and witness accompanied him from the saloon on to the deck. Witness afterwards went below, leaving Sharp to go up the stairs leading to the top deck. A minute or so later witness heard an alarm raised, and upon coming oil deck from below and looking into the dock he saw Sharp's walking stick, and then Sharp himself, lying at the bottom of the dock,

Robert Lewin, 8 Albert-terrace, Douglas, second engineer on the Douglas, said he saw the deceased coming aboard at 1-30. He was then perfectly right in every respect, About 2-30 p.m. witness heard a sound as of something falling into the dock, A cry of " Oh !" immediately succeeded it, and upon looking through a port-hole he saw Sharp lying in the dock. Witness promptly made his way to the spot. Sharp was not dead, but breathing heavily. His walking stick was lying two or three feet from him. Sharp was at once removed to the quay, thence into the ambulance, and taken to the hospital. The gangway was a good, sound, broad one, about three feet wide, and was quite suitable for the purpose of getting to and from the steamer.

Arthur Lee, 22 Farrant-street, Douglas, chief officer of the Douglas, corroborated, and, in answer to a juryman, said there were battens or treads on the gangway.

Dr Thomas Burrell, acting as locum tenens at the Borough Hospital, Birkenhead, said that when Mr Sharp was brought to that institution, at 2-50 on Sunday, life was extinct, He had sustained a fracture of the right side of the skull running down into the base of the skull, and a compound dislocation of the first joint of the right thumb, The cause of death was fracture of the skull, which might easily have been caused by a fall such as that described.

Mr A. J. Rubery, chief timekeeper for Messrs Cammell, Laird, and Co., said he was instructed by the firm to express their deepest sympathy with the widow and relatives of the deceased gentleman.

The Coroner : I also desire very sincerely to join in the expression of sympathy that has come from Mr Rubery on behalf of the firm, and no doubt it will be conveyed in due course to Mr Sharp's relatives in the Isle of Man.

The jury returned a verdict of " Accidental death," and also associated their sympathy with Mr Sharp's wife and family with that of Messrs Cammell-Laird and the Coroner.


Perhaps the largest funeral seen in Douglas of recent years was that of the late Mr Joseph Cowley Sharp, eldest son of the Mayor of Douglas (Mr Councillor Sharp, J.P.), which took place on Thursday, October Sth. The sad arrangement,~ attending the death of Mr Sharp, conjoined with the many friendships which he had made in Douglas throughout an all-too-brief career, and the high esteem in which his father is held throughout the Island, induced an unusually big attendance of the public. All classes were represented, from members of the governing bodies of the town to the poorest of the poor, and all evinced sorrow for the young man who had been cut off at almost the commencement of a career fraught with possibilities of success, and sympathy with the bereaved family. Primrose Avenue, in which the late Mr Sharp's residence is situate, was thronged before the hour announced for the funeral to leave, and there was but a bare passage for the carriages, The weather was, unfortunately, not favourable, but those who assembled did not appear to mind the rain, which fell in desultory fashion, Shortly after two o'clock, the coffin, which was of polished oak with heavy brass furniture, was borne from the house and placed in the hearse. Then came the wreaths, which were so many in number that they could not be accommodated in the carriage which had been provided for their conveyance, Those sent by members of the famiily were placed on the coffin, while after the carriage was filled, the surplus wreaths were disposed about the exterior of tiie hearse, These floral tokens of affection and sympathy were remark-able for the singular beauty of their design and composition. The following were the mourners :-First carriage: Mr Joseph Sharp; J.P., Mayor of Douglas, and father of deceased; Master Sharp, eldest son of deceased; Mr A. Sharp and Mr F. M. Sharp, brothers; Mr Ellwood, father-in-law. Second carriage : Mrs Moseley, Miss Malpas, Mr W. Malpas and Mr J. Malpas. Third carriage: Mr Marl. Ellwood, Mr Balfey Ellwood, Mr W. Smith, Mr J. Watts. Fourth carriage Mr Henshall, Mr T. Cain, and Mr Maddrell.

Leading the cortege were two carriages, one containing Dr Marshall, deceased's medical attendant and an almost lifelong friend of the family, and the other occupied by the Rev T. Markwell, a retired Primitive Methodist minister, who in regard to the conduct of the funeral service took the place of the Rev W. Newns, the superintendent minister of the Douglas Primitive Methodist circuit; and the Rev J. Sadler, superintendent minister of the Castletown Primitive Methodist circuit (formerly of Douglas). The funeral procession was a very long one, and a prominent feature of it consisted in about one hundred and twenty Freemasons, who wore white gloves and had in their coat lappels sprigs of accacia -the plant of such moment to brethren of the mystic tie, Mr J. C. Sharp was a prominent member of the craft, he having for some years past been a member of the Athole Lodge (Douglas), 1004. The masonic brethren were marshalled by Mr H. T. Rylance, P.M., Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies. The interment was at the Borough Cemetery, and on the cortege reaching that beautifully,situated place of sepulture the coffin was carried into the mortuary chapel, where the first portion of the funeral service was conducted by the Revs T. Markwell and J. Sadler. Hymns of an appropriate character were sung in the chapel, and subsequently at the graveside. The committal portion of the service was also taken part in by Mr Markwell and Mr Sadler, and at its conclusion the Free-masons filed past the grave and cast upon the coffin the sprigs of accacia which they had displayed in their coats, by way of signifying farewell to their departed brother. Throughout the ceremony was most impressive, and the multitude who attended were much affected by the solemnity of the proceedings. The Mayor, though obviously much shaken by his loss, bore himself with great fortitude, as did Mr Alexander Sharp, twin brother of the deceased and his almost inseparable companion in life. The following is a list of the wreaths:-The Wife and Children of the deceased; Father, Mother, Sisters, and Brothers; Alex, and Annie Sharp; Mona and Willie; Lena and Clarence ; Mr and Mrs Ellwood ; Aunt Martha and Cousin Emma (Cheadle) ; Aunt Polly and Cousins Louisa and Walter (Stockport) ; Aunt Polly and Uncle Jem (Edgeley) ; Uncle Will and Aunt Polly (Chapel-en-le Frith) ; Aunt Annie and Uncle Will (Ashton-under-Lyne) ; Uncle Jim Watts (Stockport) ; Cousins Polly and Tom (Nottingham); Lord and Lady Raglan; the Brethren of the Athole Lodge, No.1004; the Members of Finch Hill Club; the, Manx Canine, Fur, and Feather Association; the Manx Canine, Fur, and Feather Association-five members of Ballaugh section; Councillor and Mrs A. H. Marsden ; Mr and Mrs Maddrell ; Mr and Mrs Penwell ; Mr and Mrs J. K. Kelly; Dr and Mrs Marshall; Mr W, C. Renshaw and family (Stockport) ; Mrs Parry (Strathallan Crescent) ; Mr and Mrs J, Canepa ; Mr H. Canepa ; Mrs Warters and Miss Cowley; Mr and Mrs W. A, Wilkin; Miss E. Corlett ; Mr and Mrs J. T, Radcliffe ; Mr and Mrs M. Wilson; Mr and Mrs G. Quayle ; Mr and Mrs Burrows (Stockport) ; Mr and Mrs J, M, Gibson ; Mr Charles Curphey and family; Mr and Mrs W, J. Fell; Mr and Mrs C. W. Johnson; Mr and Mrs E. Kelly; Mr and Mrs D. Hall (Stockport): Mr and Mrs Newton; Messrs R. Corlett and T. Gawne ; "A Deep Sympathiser"; " A True Friend."

The whole of the funeral arrangements were carried out under the personal superintendence of Mr Fred Callow, builder, of Palatine-road. Mr J. K. Clegg, chief steward of the s.s. Mona, a personal friend of the deceased, rendered valuable assistance in the carrying out of the arrangements, The hearse, mourning coaches, and carriages were supplied by Mr David Kelly, of Athol-street. The body was carried by workmen of deceased from the house to the, hearse and from the hearse to the mortuary chapel, and by four members of the Athole Lodge of Free. masons. under the superintendence of Mr H. T. Rylance, from the chapel to the grave.


Died July 9th, 1908.

The late Mr John Sansbury, of Ballachrink, Surby, Rushen, was born in this parish nearly 93 years ago. He associated himself with farming from early in life, and continued with much success until his latter days. He was a son of an old and venerable warrior, " Daddy " Sansbury (as he was familiarly known), and brother to the late Mr Joseph Sansbury and Mr Thos. Sansbury. He early in life identified himself with the Wesleyan Church at Ballafesson. He was for many years society steward, trustee, and Sunday-school superintendent, and for the long period of 60 years was a class-leader and local preacher. With the late Mr J.F. Kermode, he held the position of circuit steward for about 30 years. Mr Sansbury exerted a great influence with the young men of the district in which he lived; and in the sick room his kindly counsel was much sought after, He helped to brighten materially the lot of those less fortunate than himself, and wherever he want he carried comfort and happiness, He was a most acceptable local preacher, and his stalwart form and manly voice were favourably familiar, He never shirked his appointments, and was much in demand at revivals-for which he was specially adapted, In his younger days he travelled all parts of the Island in discharge of his pulpit duties, He was a fluent Manx linguist, and up to about 30 years ago always conducted his services in the Manx language. As chairman for missionary meetings and tea meetings he had no equal. Though interested in Insular politics, he never took a lead-preferring rather to work wholeheartedly for the cause most dear to him. His life was one of consistency throughout, and a model for anyone to copy, He was married some 55 years ago, and his widow-who is about 90-survives him, Mrs Sansbury is a sister to Mr John Kermode, of Surby, who has also passed four-score years and ten. She has the tender sympathy of a host of friends,

The funeral, which was largely attended and representative (despite a continuous downpour of rain) took place at Rushen Churchyard on Saturday, July 11th. At the door, the hymn "Give me the wings of faith to rise" was feelingly sung, and as the shell containing the mortal remains of the deceased was being borne to their last resting place, suitable hymns were sung, the Rev Frank Hart conducting this part of the service, At Ballafesson Wesleyan Chapel a halt was made, and the hymn " Rock of Ages " was sung, followed by an appropriate and beautiful prayer by the Rev S, R, Wilkin. En route, another hymn, " Thee we adore, Eternal Name," was sung (by request), and as the cortege approached the churchyard the company sang " Thou turnest man, O Lord, to dust," The service in the church was impressively conducted by the Vicar (Rev C. H. Leece). As the cortege left the church, Mr A. Cregeen, A.I.S.C., rendered a funeral march on the organ, The Vicar officiated at the graveside,

The mourners were as follow: -Mr, Mrs, and Miss Crebbin (Fleshwick), Mr and Mrs Anderson (Peel) ; Mr and Mrs T, Gerry (Four Roads, Port St, Mary) ; Mr H. Qualtrough (Manchester) ; Mr Boyd, sub-postmaster (Douglas) ; Mr Jas, Gell, grocer (Douglas) ; Mr William Kelly (Douglas); Mrs and Miss Harrison (Ballafesson). The bearers were Mr R. Sansbury (nephew), Castletown; Mr T. S, Crebbin (nephew), Fleshwick; Mr Robert Maddrell ; and Mr R. Christian, Surby. Un the coffin was a beautiful wreath from his sister and family and Mrs Crebbin.-The contractors were Messrs Thomas E. and Herbert J. Moore, of Ballafesson.


Died September 14th, 1908.

Mr Wm. Francis Curphey, plumber, of Castle-street, died at his residence on Monday, For some three or four years past Mr Curphey had not enjoyed good health, but he bore himself bravely, and managed to get out and about up to three weeks ago, when he became much worse and had to keep to his room. He sank rapidly, and yet the end came somewhat unexpectedly on Sept. 14th, " Willie " Curphey was one of the straightest men who ever trod Douglas; in his dealings he was scrupulously fair, and his rather old-fashioned ideas of business caused him to regard with disfavour the hustling and cutting methods which in these days are commencing to find a footing in the Isle of Man, His probity and manly line of conduct secured him the respect and esteem of all with whom he came in contact, and by his death many people will lose a good and true friend, He was a Douglas man to the backbone, and his parents and grandparents were of Douglas before him. The third son of the late Alderman John Curphey, he was born in Castle-street 52 years ago-by birth, breeding, and continuous residence he was a " sandsider." His education was received at St. Barnabas' School, under the late Mr Thomas Green, and on leaving that one-time famous institution, he was apprenticed to the late Mr James Moore, plumber, of Finch-road, Douglas. On completing his apprenticeship, he worked for a brief period as a journey-man, hut while still well on the sunny side of thirty he commenced business on his own account in Strand-street. Subse-quently he removed to Castle-street, where he secured a very good connection, his mastery of his craft and his honesty and reliability attracting the best class of trade. He married while still a young man, and leaves a widow and five sons and one daughter to mourn his loss. The children are all grown up, and two of the sons were associated with their father in carrying on business for some time before his death, Mr Curphey had a marvellous memory, and was an authority upon matters concerning Douglas of 45 years ago, So tenacious was his recollection of the days of his boyhood that he was a living directory of Douglas and the people who resided in Douglas in the 'sixties, With him the musical instinct was strongly marked, and in his younger days he was the possessor of an even and useful tenor voice. Over thirty years ago he was a member of St, Matthew's Choir when Miss Wood was choirmistress, and afterwards he joined St, Thomas's Choir, retaining his connection with it up to about seven years ago, when failing health compelled his resignation, In the early 'seventies he was enrolled in the old Douglas Artillery Volunteers, and was a gunner when that famous corps was disbanded. In manner he was exceedingly genial, and he told a good story himself, while he thoroughly enjoyed a good story told by others. A lover of birds and dogs, he was one of the original members of the Douglas and Isle of Man Dog and Poultry Society, and he as an exhibitor in the dog and cage bird classes was wont to take many prizes. The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, and was largely attended, among others present being many of the principal business men of Douglas, Canon Savage, Vicar of St. Thomas's, conducted the funeral service. The first part took place in St. Thomas's Church, and the choir, out of respect for one who was so intimately associated with the musical service of the church, attended and chanted the appropriate Psalms, and sang a hymn. At the close of the service, Mr F. C. Poulter, organist of the church, played the " Dead March" in " Saul " on the organ. The interment was at Kirk Braddan Cemetery, the committal portion of the service being there read by Canon Savage. A large number of wreaths and other floral tributes of esteem and affection had been sent, and these were deposited at the graveside. The chief mourners were Mr Curphey's five sons and his surviving brothers, It is a melancholy fact that Mr R. T. Curphey, T.C., of Birkenhead, and Mr C, G. Curphey, of Liverpool, two of the brothers, have had to cross to the Island six times within the last seven years in order to attend funerals of members of their family, viz., those of the late Alderman John Curphey and the late Mrs Curphoy, respectively their father and mother; the late Mr John Curphey, junr. (manager, Regent-street Branch, Isle of Man Banking Co., Limited), Mr George Curphey (grocer), Mr Richard Curphey, and Mr W. F. Curphey, their brothers.


Douglas will be all the poorer for the death of Miss Jessie Moffatt, of Finch-road, who passed away on August 15th, at the advanced age of 82 [1881 census would indicate born 1822 thus 86], She was one of two sisters [other Elizabeth] who spent self-sacrificing lives in working for the poor in the days when the voluntary system of poor relief obtained throughout the Isle of Man, They were connected with St, George's Church for many years, and ever took a leading part in all charitable work connected with the church, while they were foremost in aiding the general charities of the town, and dispensed much private charity. They took a great interest in the welfare of the Police Force, the Rocket Brigade, and the Lifeboat Crew, and it was their annual custom to provide for the members of these organisations woollen comforters, mittens, and such like aids to warmth in winter. Both these gentle ladies had been confined to their house for some years by illness, but so far as they could they maintained their good work of materially aiding the poor and needy. The funeral of Miss Jessie Moffatt took place on Tuesday, and was well-attended. The interment was in St. George's Churchyard, in a grave which already contained the remains of the deceased lady's mother [Anne 1797-]. Canon Savage conducted the burial service in the church and at the graveside. Among those who were present were about twenty members of the Police Force, under Supt, Cain; the members of the Rocket Corps, under the Town Clerk and Councillor Moughtin ; and representatives of the Lifeboat Institution, who walked in double file behind the hearse. Others who attended were:-Mr A. W. Moore, C.V.O. (Speaker of the House of Keys), Colonel Freeth, Mr W, F. Dickinson, Mr F. Browne, Mr J, Burman, and the Rev G, E. Craven. A large number of beautiful wreaths were sent, among the inscriptions attached being the following: - Isle of Man Constabulary, with deepest sympathy; Col. and Mrs Freeth ; Mary and Agnes ; with love and sympathy from Dr and Mrs T. A, Wood; in memory of my beloved sister Jessie ; Dr and Mrs Dearden, with kind sympathy; with kind remembrance from Nurse; in remembrance, from the Douglas Lifeboat Committee; Mr A. W, Moore and Mrs Moore, with affectionate regard; the Rocket Corps, with affectionate remembrance.


Died September 3rd, 1908.

By the passing away of Mr John Kermode, of Surby, Rushen, another old landmark has been removed from our midst, The sad event took place with alarming suddenness on Thursday, Sept. 3rd, shortly after partaking of a hearty tea, the immediate cause being appolexy. Deceased attained his 90th birthday in February last, He was three times married and ten children survive their father. As a farmer, he was classed amongst the most prosperous, and was one of the first to introduce the use of the self-binding machines into the Island. A Churchman, he always took the warmest interest in the affairs of the old Parish Church of Kirk Christ, Up to within recent years he almost unceasingly held the post of churchwarden, the duties of which he most faithfully discharged. With the late Mr Milner, he took an especial interest in the erection of St. Catherine's Church, and was in official attendance at the laying of the foundat:on stones of the unfortunate Port Erin breakwater, Before the introduction of Local Govern-ment control and the old School Committee, Mr Kermode gladly gave his support and knov.,ledge to the better government and education of the com-munity in which he resided, and was one of those who advocated and collected money for the erection of the Boys' Parochial School-in those days supported by voluntary contributions. At the time of the brig Lily explosion at Kitterland. Mr Kermode farmed the Port St. Mary Farm, and took the initial steps in providing for the needs of the widows and orphans so suddenly breft of their bread-winners, and was a trustee of this fund. He was quiet and unassuming in manner, and widely known and respected for his many kind works. He was a Manx historian of some repute, and was a fluent Manx linguist. The family have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of friends in their bereavement, and we would especially condole with Mrs Sansbury (who is 87 years), in her double affliction, in the recent loss of her revered husband, the late Mr John Sansbury, and now of her brother.


Mr Thomas William Alldritt died at his residence, Lough House, Ramsey, on June 7th, at the age of 57 years. Mr Alldritt had been in failing health for some considerable time, and was more or less confined to the house. He was, however, able to get out during the fine weather, and only last week he visited the Mooragh Park. A severe seizure on Saturday night hastened the end. The late Mr Alldritt took a prominent part in the business life of Ramsey for many years. In conjunction with his brothers, Messrs John and Robert Alldritt, he carried on business on an extensive scale in the fish and fruit trades. Messrs Alldritt of recent years opened shops in Ramsey, Douglas, Port Erin, Shrewsbury, etc. They owned several fishing boats which sailed from Ramsey, and at the time of his death Mr T. W. Alldritt was the lessee of the Mooragh Park. Mr Alldritt was a constant attendant at Waterloo-road Wesleyan Chapel. The funeral took place on Wednesday morning, the inter-ment being at Lezayre Churchyard.


The news of the death of Mr Albert Kelly; respectfully and familiarly known as " Kelly the Guard," was received throughout the Island with general regret. The sad event took place at deceased's residence at Port Erin at 2-30 on Sunday, July 26th, after a lingering illness. The deceased had been connected with the Isle of Man Railway Company since its inception about 35 years ago. He was first employed in the constructive work, and upon its completion was engaged as porter at Douglas Station. Promotion quickly followed as brakesman and guard, he having served in the latter capacity for the past 30 years. He was, of course, well-known to all users of the railway on the South line, and the neat little figure, in his blue uniform, with his cheery smile, ready tongue, and frank way of giving information, and his unfailing courtesy, will be missed by many old travellers. Death was due to a swelling of the lymph-adenoid glands, from which he has been suffering for some time. He has been off duty for about three months, with the exception of a short time at Whit-week, when he returned to work, but was compelled to knock off again. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon, when a large company of friends assembled at deceased's late residence. The Vicar of Rushen (Rev C. H. Leece) gave out the hymn "O God, our Help in ages past," which was feelingly sung. The Rev W. K. Smyth was also present. The mournful cortege then moved towards the Railway Station, en route for Santon Churchyard, where the interment took place. As many of the employees of the company as could be conveniently spared were present, and at Santon several officials met the cortege. Several of the officers of the Victoria Lodge of Oddfellows, Douglas, also attended. Amongst the many wreaths was a beautiful token of respect from his fellow-workers, with whom he was especially popular.


The death took place on Sunday, May 17th, in Bradford, at the age of 82, of Mr Joshua Poole, an evangelist and temperance worker, who for many years was well known as " Fiddler Joss," Mr Poole's health broke down about twenty years ago, and in retirement he took up his residence at Halifax. Though little more than a name to the present generation, to those who had known him from the time of his first mission fifty years ago, " Fiddler Joss " was regarded as one of the most remarkable of modern evangelists. Born at Skipton, where his father followed the occupation of a saddler, he was a Sunday-school teacher in his youth, but, being of a roving disposition, he broke away from the family traditions, and in Bradford became a pothouse fiddler, a gambler, and a heavy drinker. In the course of time he became as familiar with the inside of a prison as he was of the public house. When at length his wife swore that her life was in danger from his oonstant violence, he was sent to prison for six months, not being able to offer the required security to be of good behaviour. In Wakefield Gaol he resolved, through the influence of the prison warder, to reform. From that time he became a pledged teetotaller, abandoned his loose life, and applied himself to steady industry. It was not long before he began to speak as an evangelist, and his fame spread far and wide. Indeed as a preacher to the masses, "Fiddler Joss" in his day had few equals. Along with his wife, Mary Poole, he conducted missions in all parts of the United Kingdom, and at one time was even induced to carry on a mission in France.


The district of Lonan and Laxey were thrown into gloom on Sunday morning, 30th May, when the sad news reached Laxey that one of her smart young men, James Matthias Crebbin, eldest son of the late Mr James and Mrs Jane Crebbin, of Croit-e-Quill, Lonan, and husband of Edith Annie Crebbin, of Laxey Hill, had been killed on May 6th. While engaged in the New West Bonanza Mine, Transvaal, at about midnight he went up to the surface, apparently to get some fuse. On returning down the ladder-way, he must have slipped and fallen when about thirty feet from the surface, for at that point the fuse he was carrying was found lying in the ladder-way. A native, going up to the surface after midnight, found the dead body of his master, lying in a heap, just above the second level, and he at once reported the matter. The funeral took place on May 8th, the Rev Walton B, Milward, Wesleyan minister, performing the last rites. The manager of the mine, Mr Fern; Mr and Mrs Isaac Quayle, Mr Fred Quayle ; Mr Allan Sayle, formerly of Laxey ; Mr and Mrs George Quayle, formerly of Port Erin; and most of the heads of departments, and other white employees, came into town and paid their lasts respects to the deceased at the funeral service. All join in sincere sympathy with all the members of the family in their deep affliction, especially with his widow and his mother. The deceased went out to South Africa about fifteen years ago, but had been twice home during that time, and only returned to Africa a little over a year ago. He was a member of the Sons of Mona Rechabite Tent, and also a member of the Order of Freemasons.


A host of people in the Isle of Man and elsewhere will learn with regret of the death of Mr M. J. Backwell, who has for a large number of years successfully con-ducted the only printing business in the town. Mr Backwell was endowed with a well-stored mind, and his reminiscences of events and people were always of great interest. His death, which is attended with special sadness, following as it does so soon after that of his wife, took place on Monday, May 4th, in Manchester, whither he had been removed on Saturday last to undergo an operation. Mr Backwell was a native of Douglas, his father having been a printer and bookbinder in Athol-street. He went to Castletown in the fifties, and by hard work and great attention to business created one of the most successful printing businesses in the Island. There are four sons and two daughters. Two of the sons and a daughter are in the business in Castletown. The other daughter-Mrs Clague -lives in Edinburgh. The eldest son is the Rev Henry Backwell, who was educated at King William's College, joined the Navy as chaplain, and has lived some time abroad and at Portsmouth, his wife being a daughter of the late Mr Thomas Fleming, of Duke-street, Douglas, The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, and the respect in which he was held was amply evinced by the large gathering that followed the corpse to the grave. The family are assured of very sincere sympathy in their double bereavement.


The "Winton Record " (New Zealand) for May 8th has the following:-

It is with much regret that we have to chronicle the death of Mr Charles N. Broadbent, which took place on the 30th April. The late gentleman was a son of the late Dr Broadbent, of Bamborough, Northumberland, England, and arrived in New Zealand in the late seventies, where he for a number of years was in the Survey Department in the Western district. For the last quarter of a century he has been in Winton holding different positions, but owing to a rather precarious state of health he did not do much lately, and his sudden demise came as a shock to his many friends and acquaintances. Being of a quiet disposition, he hardly ever complained, even to those he was most in touch with, and his familiar figure will be much missed. He had just received word a week before of the death of his only brother, in South America, who was a civil engineer for many years there. Mr Swinburn, of Gladstone, conducted the services at the church and at the graveside in a most impressive manner. A large number of old friends and acquaintances were present at the funeral.

The above was a cousin of Mr S. K. Broadbent, of Douglas, and was a citizen of the same town in New Zealand as Mr D. N. Moore, Mayor of Winton, who is a brother of Mrs T. J. Halsall, of Victoria Street, Douglas.


On Saturday, May 16th, - amidst every manifestation of grief, and in the presence of a very large assembly of Manx and other friends, were laid to rest in Smithdown-road Cemetery, Liverpool, the mortal remains of Miss Catherine Ann (Katie) Corrin, 37 years of age, daughter of Mr Jas. Corrin, a well-known member of the Liverpool Manx Society, and Detective-Inspector for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co., Limited. For three months past Miss Corrin suffered very acutely, but bore her sufferings with Christian-like fortitude. Amongst those present at the graveside were: Mr James Corrin (father), James and Alfred Corrin (brothers), Mr and Mrs . William Corrin (uncle and aunt), Mr and Mrs J. Cain, Mrs Robinson, Mr Sam Watterson, Mrs Simpson, Mr John Kennaugh (The Green, Castletown), Mr John Costain (secretary Manx Society), Mr John Evans, Mr Fred Craine, Mrs F. Craine, Miss Lily Corrin (cousin), Mrs Wm. Hill, Mrs Terry and sister, Mrs Christian, Mrs Kirby, Mrs T. Williams, and numerous others. Wreaths were sent from the father, mother, and Alfred; Mr and Mrs James Corrin, junr., and family; Mr and Mrs Webster and family; Mr and Mrs W. Corrin ; Jennie and Lily; Mrs Donnelly and family; Mrs Terry and family; Mrs Perry and family; Mrs Christian and family; Mrs James and family; Mr Arthur Taylor, and Mrs Hudson. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Messrs Porter and Sons, under the careful and personal supervision of Mr T. H. Porter, junr.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received MNB Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2002