[From Manx Quarterly, #14 Sep 1914]
Died September 28th, 1913.
A lady who in her day did great and self-sacrificing service to the poor of Douglas and to the Established Church, passed away on Sept. 28, in the person of Miss Elizabeth Anne Moffat [sister & mother always spelled Moffatt]. For some considerable time Miss Moffat had been laid aside by infirmities consequent upon advancing age, and as a result she had well-nigh vanished from the public eye, but up to a few years ago she bore a very prominent part in connection with the support of Douglas charities and with Church work. The deceased lady had been long resident in the Island. Her father was a retired lieutenant in the Royal Navy, who came to live in Douglas what time the Isle of Man was a very popular haven with officers who had served their country with the land and sea forces of the Crown, She for the greater portion of her useful life had her home at 20 Finch-road, along with her sister, the late Miss Jessie Moffat, who died about four years ago, and who during life was associated with her in good and benevolent work, The late Mrs Cecil Hall, widow of Archdeacon Hall, the foundress of the Douglas Grammar School and the liberal benefactress of St. Matthew's Church, Douglas, was also an ally of Miss Moffat in alleviating the lot of the poor and the sick, and in furthering the cause of their Church in the town, The two ladies acted as visitors to the old Hospital in Fort-street, with much benefit to the patients, and they also strove might and main to further the cause of the Ladies' Soup Dispensary and many other voluntary institutions for the benefit of needy folk which existed in Douglas before the introduction of the compulsory system of poor relief. Miss Moffat likewise took a great interest in the Police Force, the Lifeboat Crew, and the Rocket Brigade, It was her invariable practice to send to the men composing these bodies a Christmas card and illuminated motto, and these were frequently accompanied by a muffler or some other seasonable gift, She also for many years provided a Christmas feast for the Lifeboat crew. Miss Moffat was a great lover of dumb animals, and she bore a prominent part in the formation of the Isle of Man Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. She was, when in health, a constant worshipper at St. George's Church, and acted as a district visitor; while she for a long period taught a class in St. George's Sunday-school. A lady of great accomplishments, Miss Moffat wrote verse, mainly on religious subjects; she also wielded a facile pencil, and produced many admirable drawings; while as musician she displayed both taste and skill. Altogether she devoted most her time and money to lightening the load of others, and in her death the poor have lost a friend indeed, Miss Moffat leaves one sister surviving, Mrs Maguire, of Dublin. who is her senior by two years.
The funeral of Miss Elizabeth Ann Moffat took place on Wednesday, under very simple but very impressive circumstances. In recognition of the great interest the deceased lady always took in the welfare of the Isle of Man Constabulary, twenty-two members of the force, under Inspector Duke, attended the funeral in full uniform. Shortly after eleven o'clock the coffin, laden with beautiful wreaths, was borne from the deceased's residence in Finch-road and placed upon the bier waiting at the door. Shouldered by two sergeants and two constables, with the remainder of the police contingent marching on either side, the coffin was conveyed along Finch-road and Hill-street to St, George's Church. Following as mourners were Miss Maguire (Dublin), niece; Mr Charles B, Moffat (Dublin), nephew; Mr John D. Moffat (Liverpool), nephew; and Dr T. A, Woods; while also present were Mr D. Evarard, representing the local branch of the National Lifeboat Institution; Mr .T. W. Wilson, representing the Douglas Rocket Brigade; ex-Supt. Cain, Mr J. Russel, Mr E. Clague, and many others. On arrival at the church, the coffin was met by the Rev Canon Kermode (vicar) and the Rev I. Walton (curate). The first portion of the burial service was performed by Canon Kermode, the hymn Nearer, my God, to Thee," being feelingly sung, sung. Miss Wood presided at the organ, and played the " Dead March " from " Saul ", in an impressive fashion, the interment took place in the church-yard, Canon Kermode performing the committal service, Wreaths were sent -Mrs Maguire (Dublin), sister; Mrs James Moffat, sister-in-law; Mr Charles B. Moffat, nephew; Mr J. D. Moffat, Mr J. B. Moffat, and Mr H. H. Moffat, nephews; the Misses Maguire, nieces; Mrs Henry Hayman, niece; the Misses Thomson, Chester; Dr and Mrs Woods, Mr Daniel F. Putt, Mrs and Miss Dearden, Miss Agnes Corrin, Miss Margaret Cain, and the Isle of Man Police Force. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr C. A. Corlett, Buck's-road.
Died October 2nd. 1913,
The death took place on October 2nd, at Hunterville, New Zealand, of Mr John Cubbon, a native of the Isle of Man, who was uncle to Mrs T. J. Halsall, of Victoria-street, Douglas. In the " Hunterville Express " of October 4th, appeared the following account of a very interesting and adventurous career :-
A life that had more experiences pressed into in it than the usual run of mankind closed on Thursday evening, when Mr John Cubbon passedaway in his eighty ninth year. Those eightyeight years, or at least seventy of them, were spent in walks of life that had little of ease or indolence about them. Born in the Isle of Man in1825, he early took to a wandering life and in the '40's was in the United States. He was one of a party who in 1849 crossed the then unexplored portions of the Western States, when the danger from Indian raids was very real, Mr Cubbon tells of an accident during this trip that indicated the trials that had to be put up with, One night a heavy snowfall set in, and next morning the site of the bullock camp was feet under snow, there was no possibility of relieving the unfortunate animals. The party had to beat a retreat and some months after, going over the same ground, they found the team around the waggons just as they laid down and died. Bullock driving in the Rockies and gold digging in California were employments that entailed more than ordinary risks, but the subject of this notice passed through them unscathed.
The early 50's found him in Australia, However he did not stay there long, and in the same decade he came to New Zealand. and took up a run, " Reaby," near Gore. He was part owner of various runs at different times throughout the top end of the Southland district, when neighbours were few and far between, and when the means of transit were about as bad as they could be. His nearest neighbour in those days was the late Alexander M'Nab (father of the ex-Minister for Lands), such another strong old type as Mr Cubbon. "The M'Nab " possessed the only bullock team in the country, and offering it to his neighbour, Mr Cubbin was enabled to get his wool to Invercargill, forty-five miles away. These happenings were half a century ago, and pioneering in the far south in those days, with the terrible snowstorms that frequently raged, the flooded rivers and the icy winds-,conditions that made the stoutest heart despair when the owner of it knew that the morning would bring with it a terrible tale of stock mortality-pioneering in those conditions, it might be gently suggested to our readers, is a different thing to what it is in the north, where at least there is a fair share of the sun's warmth, even if matters are uncertain underfoot. The subject of this notice lived a life under those conditions before the days of most of our readers.
Over forty years ago Mr Cubbon came to Taranaki, where he followed farming pursuits successfully, and disposing of his farm he came to the Rangitikei, acquiring the property which he named "Reaby," after his Manx birth-place, on the Ongo-road. This he occupied, until some years ago, when he retired, spending the evening of his eventful life quietly in Hunterville. He had suffered for some months from recurring attacks of heart weakness, and his end, which came peacefully, was expected.
The deceased gentleman was a strong vigorous type of man, mentally as well as physically, confident in his own opinions and not easily swayed from the view he considered the correct one, Of unimpeachable integrity and one who scorned a. dishonest action, he was just and generous to a fault. and esteemed by all who knew him. He was twice married, and leaves a family of two sons and five daughters, and also a brother, a resident of Gore.
Died October 16th. 1913.
The Irish language movememt in Glasgow has sustained a serious loss through the death of Seaghan MacGiollo Stiophain (Mr John W. Steven), who passed away on Thursday, 16th October. Mr Steven, though not an Irishman by birth or descent, was a most enthusiastic and most practical supporter of the language revival. He had acquired a good grasp of Irish himself, and spared no effort to induce Irishmen with whom he came in contact to follow his example. He was, till failing health prevented his regular attendance, one of the teachers of the language classes conducted by the Glasgow branch of the Gaelic League, to which he also gave his services as librarian. But it was outside the regular programme of the League, and in a characteristically unostentatious way, that his best work for the language was done. It would not be easy to estimate the number of Irishmen to whom he communicated some part of his own restless energy and enthusiasm for the cause; and it would be equally hard to give any adequate account of the patient labour and sacrifice of his own leisure which for years he devoted to teaching native speakers of Irish to read and write their own tongue. In many a Donegal glen there are to-day ardent workers in the cause of the revival fired with an enthusiasm which was first kindled by Seaghan, and aided by the knowledge acquired under his patient and able guidance. Seaghan was well-known in nearly every part of Irish-speaking Ireland, but Donegal was his favourite haunt. He was not, of course, interested in Irish alone. He was equally enthusiastic in the cause of the Scotch Gaelic revival; and his letters to the "Isle of Man Examiner" during the last months of his life show the lively interest he took in the struggle for the preservation of the old Manx tongue. But it was with the Glasgow branch of the Gaelic League that he was most closely identified; and it will feel the loss for many a long day of his shrewd advice and never-failing enthusiasm. At the meeting of the branch held on Sunday, 19th October, the following resolution, proposed by Aodh MacGiolla Iosa and seconded by Padring O. Basigill, was passed:-" We have heard of the death of Seaghan MacGiolla Stiophain (Mr John W. Steven), one of the honorary presidents of our branch, with the deepest sorrow, and we offer his sorrowing relatives our heartfelt sympathy in their loss."
Died November 1st. 1913.
We regret to record the death of Miss Essie Cain, which, after a short illness, took place on Saturday, Nov. 1st. Miss Cain was very well-known and highly respected by the wide circle to whom she was personally known. She was best known in scholastic circles, and was appointed president of the Isle of Man Teachers' Association-the first lady president ; and attended the conference of teachers, held at Weston-super-Mare, this summer. She was head mistress of Rushen Parochial Girls' School, and was previously assistant mistress at Hanover-street Girls' School, Douglas. She held many high certificates, including M.I.H. She was a member of the Castletown Wesleyan choir for many years, and was a valued worker in the Sunday-school, and at the Queen-street Mission, where she played the harmonium. Her cheerful and sunny nature endeared her to all. Her rather sudden death was a surprise to all who knew her. As a teacher she was more than respected-she was loved, as was shown by the great number of past and present scholars of the Rushen School who attended her funeral. She showed almost parental love for the children under her charge. Some of them who lived at a distance were provided by Miss Cain with a warm lunch at the school. The welfare of her scholars was her first consideration. Her self-sacrificing work was carried out in a way that satisfied the most captious, and her chief trust was in the promise "Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of the least of these My little ones, ye have done it unto Me." The funeral took place on Wednesday. the Rev J. W. Davies officiating. After singing " My God, my Father whilst I stray," at the house, the funeral proceeded to the Wesleyan Chapel, the coffin being borne by Messrs J. C Qualtrough, Victoria-road School; G. Bates.Ballasalla School ; W. Cubbon, Rushen Boys' College ; and J. Place, Port St Mary Board School. The chapel choir sang very pathetically -"A few more years shall roll," and the race of life is run," while Mr J. Stowell played beautifully the Dead March in "Saul." This was one of the largest funerals which ever left Castletown, and indicated how deceased was respected in the south of the Island. Leading the procession were the scholars of the Wesleyan Sunday-school, scholars from the Rushen Schools, members of the Rushen School Board with their clerk (Mr T. Radcliffe), the staff of all the Rushen Schools, the staff of the Higher Education School, and the choir and teachers of the Wesleyan Chapel and Sunday-school, besides the friends from Rushen and Castletown, who journeyed to the Parish Churchyard to pay their last respects to one who was so dearly beloved. Amongst those present were :-Mr A. J. Ridge( treasurer), and Mr G. Whittaker (secretary of the Isle of Man Teachers' Association besides several other teachers from the various schools in the Island ; Messrs R. Qualtrough. T.C., A. Christian, T.C., J. W. Corrin., G. Moore, T.C., the Clerk of the Castletown Commissioners (Mr T. Watterson), and other friends too numerous to mention.
The chief mourners were Mr E. Cain (brother), Mrs J. Taylor (sister), Mr D. Cain (brother) Miss A Cain (sister), Mr G. Cain (brother), and Miss Wallace (cousin). At the rear of the funeral were twelve private carriages. Exquisite wreaths were sent by the following, viz.,Father, mother, and family, Mr and Mrs Watterson, Mrs Creer and Miss Quiggin, Mr and Mrs W. Cubbon, Rushen), members and Clerk of the Rushen School Board, Mr and Mrs R. Cubbon. Mr and Mrs J Kinley (Liverpool), Mr and Mrs Corrin, Mr and Mrs H. Cubbon, Mr and Mrs W. Quayle and Cissie, Mrs J. Kelly, Mr and Mrs D. Cooper, Mr and Mrs P. Gell, "Mona and Flo", Douglas), National Union of Teachers (Isle of Man branch), Mr and Mrs W. Kennaugh, scholars of Rushen Boys' School, Mrs Corrin (Port Erin), Miss Mona Cannell (Port Erin), teachers and scholars of the Rushen HigherHigher Education school, teachers of the Rushen district, Mr and Mrs Bates and family (Ballasalla). Mr and Mrs T. Cain and family, Mrs Abbot and Miss Killey, Mr and Mrs R. Clucas, Mr and Mrs J. Cubbon, Castletown Wesleyan Sunday-school. Miss Gale and the Misses Blackburn, Miss C. Corin, Mr and Mrs G. Quine, Mrs Hetherington and Mrs Karran, Mr and Mrs J. Qualtrough and family and Miss Davidson, Castletown Wesleyan choir, teachers and scholars of Rushen Girls' School. Miss M. Gell (perpetual wreath), Dr. and Mrs Hannay. Mrs Vanwell, Mrs Dr. Johnson, Mr and Mrs S. Killey, Miss E. Coole (Port St Mary) and Mrs R. Collister, Mr and Mrs :Quaye and family (Douglas), trustees of Queen-street Mission Room, Mr and Mrs T. Cregeen (Four-roads), "Dot and Jim" (Port St Mary), the Misses Power, Miss M. Cooil, Miss Back-well, Mrs and Miss Caley, Mrs W. Preston, Mr and Mrs J. Taggart people of Queen-street (floral wreath and perpetual wreath), Miss M. Taylor (Ballakillowey), Miss Munns, the Misses Gale (Beach View), " Chris. and Bessie " (Douglas), Misses Wilderspin and Calver, Mr and Mrs A. Comaish, Mr and Mrs J. C. Qualtrough, Miss K. Taylor (Port St Mary), Mr and Mrs G. Quirk, and Mr and Mrs J. Jackson (Liverpool).
After the interment the choir sang very sweetly, " There is sweet rest in Heaven " ; and here one could hardly see anyone who was not filled with emntioui. The deepest sympathy goes with Mr and 9fr.a Cain and family in this their sad bereavement.
The late Miss Essie Cain was born in Castletown on January 3rd, 1879. She attended Castletown Girls' School until the age of thirteen, after which she commenced her ap-prenticeship at Hanover-street School, Douglas;. where she earned excellent reports both in school work and examinations. She succeeded in passing the Queen's scholarship in 1897, but continued at Hanover-street School till the year 1905, when sho was appointed head mistress of Rushen Girls' School. Amongst the certificates and diplomas she held were physiography, hygiene, domestic economy, and St John Ambulance, also M.I.H., with lionours in hygiene in 1912. Miss Cain took great interest in the Isle of Man Industrial Guild and Manx Music Festival competitions, where her scholars ac4uitted themselves with marked success, and obtained first and special prizes every year. She was appointed the first lady president of the Isle of Man Branch of the National Union of Teachers, and was this year a delegate to the conference at Weston-super-Mare. Miss Cain will live in the memory of the teaching profession for her resolute attitude (along with Messrs W. Cubbon and J. A. Place) for the rights of teachers in the Rushen educational crisis of 1912. She was teacher and librarian of the Castletown Wesleyan Sunday-school, and member of the Castletown Wesleyan choir for many years. She also was responsible for the musical requirements of Queen-street Mission Room (Castletown) for eleven years. Miss Cain was of a very loving and cheerful disposition, thoroughly straightforward and loyal, and beloved by her scholars, teachers, and friends, and evidence of this was shown by the respect paid to the deceased in the remarkably large attendance at her funeral. She was a devoted daughter and sister, and much sympathy is extended to her parents, brothers, and sisters in their sad bereavement.
Died December 13th. 1913.
When the news spread on December 13th that Mr John Graham Elliot, a gentleman well-known throughout the length and breadth of the Isle of Man, had died in Noble's Hospital, surprise and regret were expressed on all hands. Very few people knew that Mr Elliot had been in any way ill, and those who were aware that he had been under treatment in the hospital were under the impression-as it turned out the well-grounded impression -that the particular ailment which compelled his sojourn in the hospital was trifling of character. As a matter of fact, Mr Elliot entered the institution about a fortnight ago for the purpose of undergoing a slight operation involving removal of a small growth on the outer skin of his back-,a growth in no way malignant or dangerous, though inconvenient to Mr Elliot. The operation was successfully performed, and apparently the patient was making most satisfactory progress towards recovery. During Saturday he was visited by several of his relatives and friends, including his wife, the Rev D. C. Woodhouse, vicar of St. Ninian's, and Mr W. A. Waid, one of Mr Elliot's confreres on the directorate of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. While they were with him he was most cheerful, and they left quite satisfied that he would soon be out and about again. But the unexpected happened, for hardly had Mrs Elliot reached home than the sad intelligence was brought to her that her husband had suddenly been seized with heart weakness, and under the seizure hard passed away, death occurring at seven o'clock in the evening.
The late Mr J. G. Elliot, who was born in Douglas some 62 years ago, was the eldest of the three sons of the late Mr Andrew Elliot, the others being Captain Alfred Elliot and Mr Frank Elliot, both of whom are abroad. Mr Andrew Elliot came to the Isle of Man from the Border country, about the middle of the last century, to take up an appointment as manager of the large ironmongery business then carried on in Gelling's Court (Old Market Place), Douglas, by the late Mr Gelling. In 1862 the he taken over by Mr Elliot and Mr Will Todhunter, who carried it on under style of Todhunter and Elliott. Mr J Graham Elliot, after completing his education at Athol Academy, a well-known private school in Douglas conducted by the late Dr Isaiah McBurney, was apprenticed to Messrs Todhunter and Elliot, on coming out of his time, became assistant in the shop. On his father's death, Mr J. G. Elliot became Mr Todhunter's partner. The firm kept the shop in Gelling's Court going until the early 'nineties, when the premises was acquired by the municipal authorities connection with the town improvement scheme, but in the meantime-in 1887 the expansion of the business necessitated the taking of extensive premises in Duke street. When compeled to relinquish the Gelling's Court shop, the whole of the business was transferred to the Duke street premises, which were extended the rear to Cambrian-place. In 1893, Mr Todhunter, the senior partner, retired and Mr J. G. Elliot became sole proprietor. In 1902 the business was taken over by a limited liability company ve restricted of membership-more in the nature of a private than a public company with Mr Elliot as chairman. In 1905 Mr Elliot retired from active connection with the business, being succeeded as chairman by Mr R. E. E. Quilliam, who still fills the post. Soon after his retirement, Mr Elliot, whose tastes inclined him to rural pursuits, went to reside at Riversdale, Lezayre; but in the spring of the present year he removed to Brae-side, a pleasant villa situate on the Ballanard-road, near Douglas. In his youth and early and middle aged manhood, Mr Elliot was of active and athletic disposition of body. About 35 years ago he rowed bow oar in a famous amateur four which often achieved victory at local regattas, in their beautifully designed and built inrigged craft " Ploughboy," the other members of the crew being Mr . Kissack, now of Scarlett (stroke) ; Mr Philip Christian, Finch Hill House (No. 2) and Mr W. Johnson (No. 3). He was for some time a prominent member of the Isle of Man Hunt, and for a time held the position of Deputy Master. In directions, too, he showed the great interest in open-air and field sports. and he was ever ready to encourage and aid young people in following his pleasure. A few years since he accepted invitation to join the board of directors of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, and in this position he strove his utmost to advance the interests of this great commercial concern. On the news of his death being forthcoming, the flags of the company's steamers were hoisted half-mast, and this sign of mourning was kept in evidence until after the funeral. Mr Elliot was in early life, and before removal to Lezayre, an adherent of the Finch Hill Congregational Church, and was for many years a valued member of the choir of that place of worship. On returning to the Douglas district, however, he became a regular attendant at St. Ninian's hurch, and was a member of the church choir. He married Kate, second daughter of the late Mr James Aspell, butcher, Douglas, who survives him. In mourning his loss Mrs Elliot is joined by their four children -Mr Douglas Elliot, who is in America; Mr George Elliot, who is employed by the firm of Todhunter and Elliot; Mrs A. B. Mackensie, Douglas; and Miss Kathleen Elliot. A man of very quiet but kindly nature, and of the most upright business standards, Mr Elliot was respected and esteemed by all who had the pleasure and honour of his acquaintance.
The funeral took place on Wednesday morning, and was very largely attended by representatives of all classes of the community. Among those who followed the remains from Braeside to Braddan Cemetery, where interment took place, were the directors of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and all the principal officials of the company and the directors and employees of Todhunter and Elliot, Ltd.
Died November 22nd. 1913.
By the death of Mr Edward Gelling, formerly of Ballacottier, the Cooil, which took place on November 22nd, and who in retirement from active life had resided in Woodbourne-square, Douglas, another veteran Manxman is removed from our midst. Mr Gelling, who was born inn the year 1832, had the proud distiction of having lived under the rule of four monarchs-King William, Queen Victoria, King Edward, and the late King George. The deceased gentleman was an assiduous member of the Wesleyan Church all his life, and after retiring from agricultural pursuits he was foremost in the movement for the benefit of the Cooil Wesleyan Chapel. Not only was his zeal verbally enthusiastic it was also practical, for he presented the site on which the chapel was built, and also acted as treasurer of the trust. He was a class leader and society steward. During the days of his retirement, he attached himself to the Rose Mount Wesleyan Church, where he held the office of society steward on more than one occasion. In earlier days he displayed a keen interest in the affairs of the Braddan Church, and was a personal friend of the affectionately remembered Parson Drury, under whom he served a term as church warden. Mr Gelling's wife predeceased him by some twenty-four years. He leaves behind a son, Mr E. Webster Gelling, in London, and three daughters-Mrs Capt. Crebbin, Mrs H. Mudie Draper, and Mrs John Corkill-to mourn his loss.-The funeral took place on Nov. 25th at Kirk Braddan Cemetery, and it was attended by a large company of mourners. The committal service at the graveside was read by the Rev C. Copeland Smith.
Died November 23rd. 1913
The Rev William Frederick Drury, Vicar of Hornby, Bedale, Yorkshire, died suddenly at his vicarage, on Nov. 23rd. Many Manx people will have pleasant recollections of the deceased clergyman, who was the elder of the two sons of the late Rev William Drury, the most famous of the Vicars of Braddan. The Rev W. F. Drury had the distinction of being the tallest and one of the heaviest ministers of the Established Church, for he stood six feet and eight inches in his stockings, and weighed in his prime something like twenty stones. His younger brother, the Right Rev Thomas Wortley Drury, is now Bishop of Ripon, and was for a period Bishop of Sodor and Man. Educated in the first instance at King William's College, the Rev William F. Drury, on completing his University career, was ordained deacon by the then Bishop of Sodor and Man in 1864, and was priested in the following year. His first clerical appointment was to the curacy of Kirk Braddan, under his father, and in 1866 he was appointed a chaplain at Aix-les-Bains. From 1867 to 1869 he was curate of St. Jude's, Southsea; while from 1870 to 1871 he was curate of All Saints', Knightsbridge. He acted from 1864 to 1903 its Chaplain to Lord Lifford, and during the last 32 of these years he was also Vicar of Holy Trinity, Burton-on-Trent, being mainly responsible for the erection of the magnificent church of that parish. By Burton people he was held in high affection and respect, and it came as a great blow to them when in 1903 he felt called upon to accept the living of Hornby. While Vicar of Holy Trinity, he made it a point to visit the Isle of Man at least once a year, and during his brief sojourn in his native land he mainly occupied himself with his favourite recreation angling-he was an enthusiastic disciple of Izaak Walton, and practically knew every pool and run in every trout stream in the Isle of Man. In other directions too, he was a great sportsman, and throughout his life never tired of inculcating the doctrine of a sound mind in a sound body. A man of superb physique. his tall and stalwart figure rendered him a conspicuous object wherever he went. while his abundant fund of good humour and good nature gained for him the esteem and regard of all with whom he came into contact. The Bishop of Ripon was engaged in preaching at the Church of St. Silas, Hamslet, Leeds, at the time his brother passed away. On Thursday the funeral took place at Hornby, when Bishop Drury was among the mourners.
Died December 21st. 1913
It is with sincere regret we report the death of Mr Victor Charles Joughin, which took place at his residence, Hawthornden, May Hill, on Dec. 21st, 1913. Mr Joug-hin had a very severe illness some months ago, and he then lay in a state of semi-consciousness for several days. He to a great extent recovered from that, and a holiday was spent in England and another in Maughold for the purpose of recuperating. Good progress towards almost complete recovery seemed to be amaking. Two Sundays before, Mr Joughin attended Waterloo-road Wesleyan Chapel, and he told some of his friends that he was going on very well. He had also taken up business again, and was in the middle of his annual Christmas sale when the fatal seizure put a full-stop to all his plans. On Thursday, the deceased gentleman partook of his dinner heartily, and he was resting in the dining-room about tea-time when he said he felt as though he had taken a chill, and he fell into a state of coma sitting in an easy chair. Dr Sugden was called, and he would not have his patient removed even from the chair for Afterwards a water-bed was erected in the dining-room, and the gentleman was placed on it. He lingered till Sunday evening, just three days after the seizure, without regaining consciousness. Mrs Joughin and the family are deserving of the greatest sympathy in the trouble that has fallen to their lot. Members of the family were gathering home for Christmas, but their festivity has been turned into mourning. There are four sons and three daughters, this being indeed the first death in the family. The eldest son, Joe, is in Sydney and two of the daughters are teachers in good positions in England. Mr Joughin was a son of the late Capt. Joughin, of Derby-road, Douglas. About thirty years ago he came to Ramsey and commenced an ironmongery in the present premises in partnership with Mr J. Fayle. After two years the partnership was dissolved and Mr Joughin has since carried on the business by himself. The deceased gentleman was held in high esteem by his fellow-townsmen. He was plodding in business, only sparing some time to devote to the benefitting of the community. He served on some of the town boards at different times, having been a member of the School Board and the Poor Law Guardians. He was at the time of his death chairman of the Gas Company. Mr Joughin was a steady and active supporter of the cause of temperance in the town ever since he came into it. When High-Bailiff Lamothe used to discharge those brought before him for drunkenness on the understanding that they would sign the pledge, they were all directed to Mr Joughin to obtain the necessary card, and that he might see them sign it. It is quite safe to say that no persons in Ramsey have so steadily and energetically supported the cause in Ramsey as Mr and Mrs Joughin. The deceased gentleman has also been a prominent Wesleyan, having occupied the position of circuit steward and practically all the offices open to lay-men. Five years age he was elected chairman of the Ramsey and District Free Church Council for the year, Mr Joughin being a very decided Free Churchman. The funeral took place at Maughold on Wednesday morning. The service was held in Waterloo-road Chapel, conducted by the Rev J. R. Ellis (chairman of the district), Rev D. Bates (superintendent of the circuit), and Rev H. C. Weaver, B.A.
Died November 11th. 1913.
The intelligence which reached Douglas on Tuesday, that Capt. Edward Elliott, of Douglas, had died at Kinsale on November 11th, came as a great shock, there having been no previous general intimation that he was indisposed, much less alarmingly ill. Captain Elliott was masterof the s.s. Osprey, a vessel owned by Mr Hugh Flinn, of Liverpool, who is brother to Councillor Daniel Flinn, of Douglas. On Monday, the Osprey left Liverpool for Kinsale in charge of Capt. Elliott, who during the voyage was seized with acute pneumonia. All haste was made to reach Kinsale, and on arrival in the master was taken to hospital, but he soon afterwards succumbed to his illness and as stated passed away on Tuesday. Capt. Elliott was a Southside Manx-man and was well known and highly respected throughout the Island as a sea-man of fine ability and resource, and as a man of great integrity. He leaves surviving a widow and several children. The body was conveyed from Kinsale to Douglas on board the Osprey, the owner, at great personal loss and inconvenience, placing the vessel at the disposal of Capt. Elliott's bereaved family for the purpose. After a stormy passage, which occupied twenty-two hours, the Osprey came into Douglas harbour on Thursday morning, and the body was landed and transferred to the dead mariner's residence. The funeral took place on Friday afternoon, and was largely attended. Interment was at Braddan Cemetery.
News came, by cable on Dec. 31st, to the effect that Mr George Brown Gelling, a member of the Manx Bar, had died in Victoria private hospital, British Columbia, on Dec. 30th. Mr G. B. Gelling was the third. son of the late Mr Daniel Edward Gelling, tobacco manufacturer and wine and spirit merchant, etc., Duke street, Douglas. He was a nephew of Miss Gelling, of West-view; and brother of Mr Tristram Gelling, of Douglas. After completing his education at King Wil-liam's College, Mr G. B. Gelling entered as a law student and served his articles with Mr Ll. S. Kneale, advocate. He was admitted to the Bar in 1900, and subsequently entered into partnership with Mr Kneale. Ill health compelled him to sever this connection, and he proceeded to Australia with a view to the rehabilitation of his strength. On returning to the Island he married Miss Mary Harris, eldest daughter of the late Mr Samuel J Harris, and granddaughter of the late Samuel Harris, High-Bailiff of Douglas. For some little time after his marriage Mr Gelling resided at Castletown. Later on he and Mrs Gelling proceeded to Australia, but afterwards went to British Columbia. He never perfectly recovered his health, but the intelligence of his death came as a great shock to his many friends in the Isle of Man. In his youth and early manhood Mr Gelling was possessed of fine physique, and was an excellent all-round athlete. He was an admirable exponent of Rugby football, playing for his school first XV. and afterwards assisting clubs in Douglas.
The " Montreal Gazette," of December 23rd, 1913, had the following:-
That the deceased came to his death through his own carelessness, was the finding of Coroner McMahon, at an inquest held at Lachine yesterday after-noon into the death of Wilfred Kerruish, 38 years of age, a blacksmith, living at 305 St. Joseph-streeit, Lachine, who was killed by a Grand Trunk train on Saturday night. The man came to his death at the 10th avenue crossing of the G.T.R. tracks, when, while walking on the tracks, he was struck and instantly killed by the Ottawa train arriving in Lachine at 8-20. The engineer had not seen the victim before the engine struck him, the gate-man being the only eye witness to the accident. The gateman stated at the inquest that, the gates had been lowered for the passing of the Ottawa train, and that the man must have been walking along the track, as he saw him in front of the engine a short distance from the crossing proper. Kerruish was born in the Isle of Man, and was a widower. He has been a resident of Lachine for some time. Mr Kerruish was a native of Glen Auldyn, and has worked in Ramsey and Douglas.
It will be learned with much regret that Mr Henry Gell, for over twenty years past sub-postmaster at St. John's, died on Dec. 27th, 1913. Mr Gell, who was seventy years old, was much esteemed in the district, and by his many friends in other parts of the Island. For over forty years he was a member of the choir of St. John's Church, and in other directions took a prominent part in the social and public life of the neighbourhood. The funeral. which took place on Tuesday, was very largely attended. From deceased's residence, the coffin containing the remains was borne to St. John's Church, where the first part of the funeral service was conducted by the Rev A. P. Bradshaw. Interment was in Peel Cemetery, the Rev A. P. Bradshaw reading the committal service, while Mr T. C. Kermode, H.K., subsequently recited the Oddfellows' service, Mr Gell being an old member of the Manchester Unity. The deceased gentleman leaves two daughters and three sons. His brother, the late Mr W. Gell, formerly Mayor of East Ballarat, Australia, visited the Island a few years ago,
Died December 9th. 1913.
Robert Corkill Gale, brother of Gale, of Ballakilmerton, Onchan, departed this life at his home, 1809 -avenue East, Vancouver, Canada, the 9th December, at the age of 62. Gale was a native of the parish of  but spent most of his youth at hallyn, Baldwin. In 1881 the family emigrated to Ballakilmerton; and some years later Mr R. C. Gale emigrated to Rochester, New York. He visited the Isle of Man in 1890. An accident sustained after his return to Rochester induced him to re-visit the Island for recuperation in 1893. After a sojourn of two years at home, he crossed the Atlantic again but his health failed him to such an extent that he was obliged to return yet again to his native land in 1897. Nine years later Mr Gale decided to try his fortunes once more in the Western World, in order to find better prospects for his family He came to Vancouver, but again was beset by ill-health to a disheartening extent. He strove bravely to meet the difficulties thus occasioned, till laid aside by his last illness. Mr Gale was one of the most highly respected of the Manx people here, and took an active part in the organisation of the Vancouver Manx Society in 1908. He faithfully maintained the traditions of his fathers, in that he was a devoted member of the Methodist Church, being identified with Trinity Church at the time of his death.
The funeral took place on Friday after-noon, the 12th December. The occasion brought together a large number of Manx people, and many representatives of Trinity Methodist Church, whose pastor, the Rev O. M. Sanford, conducted the Solvices. The interment took place at Mountain View Cemetery, close to the spot cohere Mr Gale's old friend, David Cain, was buried three weeks before. The chief mourners were Master Bert Gale (son), Mr W. H. Kelly (brother-in-law), and Master Douglas Kelly (nephew). The pall-bearers were Messrs H. Corkill, G. M. Cain, H. Kewish, G- Hussey, A. E. Stevenson, and A. Lewthwaite. There were floral tributes from the Grandview Boy Scouts, from Trinity Methodist Choir, and from the Vancouver Manx Society.
The family consists of two sons and one daughter, along with Mrs Gale, who is a daughter of the late Mr Thomas Shimmin, of Douglas.
A. L. Vancouver, 14th December, 1913
Died January 2nd, 1913
Mr John Lee Cartwright, of Fairholme, road, Douglas, died on Friday, 2nd January. For some years Mr Cartwright not been in the best of health, considerable time prior to passing away he was a confirmed invalid. A Douglas man by birth, Mr Cartwright served his time as an upholsterer, but on completing his apprenticeship he devoted himself to surveying work, for which he had a natural bent - an inclination which he had developed by study and practice. In the early 'sixties the town of Douglas was granted powers of local government so far as Municipal affairs were concerned, by the Legislature, a Town Commission being constituted for carrying the powers granted into effect. Soon afterwards Mr Cartwright was appointed by the Town Commissioners as Town Surveyor, and on the death, by drowning, near Port Soderick, of Mr Charles Craine, the first clerk to the Commissioners, Mr Cartwright was selected to fill the vacant post, he also continuing to fulfil the duties of the surveyorship. He held the dual position up to 1880, when he resigned the clerk-ship, though for a brief period he continued to act as surveyor, eventually retiring into private life. As clerk to the Commissioners, he was succeeded by Mr Thomas Morrison, upon whose voidance of the office Mr Thomas H. Nesbitt, now City Secretary of Sydney, N.S.W., was appointed to the post. Mr Cartwright was always most conscientious and assiduous in the discharge of his official duties, and was ever held in high respect by the Town Commissioners and the public of Douglas. In connection with the carrying out of the original sewerage scheme for Douglas, he bore a prominent part; also, he had much to say and do in connection with the scheme of town improvement which eventuated in the enclosure of part of the shore by the construction of the Loch Promenade, and the formation of Victoria-street. After his retirement Mr Cartwright did not interest himself actively in municipal affairs, though he ever was ready to aid the borough authorities with advice which his extensive experience and great fund of information rendered extremely valuable. Mr Cartwright married a Miss Christian, of Douglas, who survives him, as does their one son. Holding in deep detestation cruelty to lower animals, Mr Cartwright constantly strove to prevent the ill-treatment of horses and other members of the dumb creation. and in his efforts he was very ably aided by Mrs Cartwright, who also deeply interested herself in securing the merciful usage of animals. The funeral took place on Tuesday and was largely attended. Internment was at Kirk Braddan Cemetery.