[from Jenkinson's Practical Guide, 1874]



DOUGLAS is by far the largest and most important town on the island. It contained a population of 13,846 at the last census, and during the busiest weeks of the tourist season it is capable of accommodating at one time no fewer than 20,000 visitors.

The town is beautifully situated in a magnificent bay, which contains a fine sandy shore washed by pure transparent water, most suitable as a bathing-ground.

The Rev. Mr. Cumming, when speaking of Douglas, says:

" More than a century and a half ago it was a fishing hamlet, in the parish of Kirk Braddan, and sent up on a still summer Sabbath-eve its curling wreaths of turf-smoke from the little group of fishers’ cots which nestled in the western angle of the bay, whilst fathom upon fathom of herring-nets lay drying around upon the sand-hills, since occupied by a ducal palace and aristocratic mansions."

The extent of the bay, along the shore, is about 3½ miles; . and across from the headland of Bank’s Howe, its northern boundary, to Douglas Head, on the south side, 2 miles.

When approached from the sea, or when viewed from the piers or neighbouring promontories, Douglas presents an imposing appearance ; the villas and terraces of the new part of the town rising grandly one above another from the shore to the summit of the cliffs, with the spires of churches dotted here and there amongst the houses, and in the background the central mountain chain of the island. The Castle Mona Hotel, at one time the palace of the Dukes of Athol, is a prominent object on the shore ; whilst above it stands the castellated mansion of Falcon Cliff Tower, picturesquely perched on the adjoining cliff ; and more distant, in the same direction, Derby Castle, a modern but elegant embattled building. To the south is the old and crowded part of the town, with its narrow streets, a fit haunt for the smugglers of the last century : but on the opposite side of the harbour are some pretty residences, and the Fort Anne Hotel, nestling at the foot of Douglas Head. The whole scene is enhanced by the two lighthouses, the piers, and the Tower of Refuge, the latter of which forms a picturesque object standing on the Conister, or St. Mary’s Rocks, in the middle of the bay.

Douglas being thus favourably situated, is the principal resting-place for visitors to the island, and it provides accommodation for strangers of all ranks. The nobility and gentry will find every want supplied at the Castle Mona and other first-class hotels and lodging-houses, and there are hotels, boarding-houses, and private lodgings, suitable for the tradesman and for travellers of every degree, down to the poorest of the operatives of Lancashire and Yorkshire.

In order that the stranger may gain a knowledge of the town, and feel at home during his sojourn in the place, we will premise that he takes a long stroll for that object, and as he would in all probability first set foot on the island at one of the piers in the harbour, we will commence the walk from that point.

The Old Pier is 520 feet long and 40 feet broad, with a circular head and small lighthouse. It was erected by the English government, at a cost of 26,0001., and the first stone was laid on the 24th of July, 1793, by John, Duke of Athol; but the whole structure was not finished till 1801. It is built of stone from the neighbouring quarry on the Heads, and sandstone from near Runcorn, in Cheshire.

An ancient pier, which stood on the same site, was destroyed by a violent gale on the 19th of November, 1786, and the ruins of the structure were left sunk at the mouth of the harbour, rendering the approach dangerous. The consequence was that on the 21st of September, 1787, a portion of the Manx herring fleet was lost in endeavouring to gain the harbour during a storm.

The lighthouse standing on the pier is merely for the harbour. When there are 9 feet of water, a red ball is hoisted on a flagstaff, if light ; and if dark, a white light is shown; signifying that steamers can then enter the harbour and land passengers . but when there is not that depth of water, no ball is hoisted and no light shown, and the passengers have to alight at the adjoining new low-water landing-pier.

In summer the visitors congregate here in the evenings to see the arrivals of the steamers from Liverpool and Barrow, and then the pier is very animated.

Numerous cabs, and porters for carrying luggage, are in readiness, and people come to canvass for the lodging-houses. The charge for cabs to any part of the town, within a stated radius, being 1s. 6d., and farther distant, 2s. and 2s. 6d. ; and there are also fixed rates for porters. (See page xvi.) Lost luggage will, as a rule, be found safe at the Left Luggage Office, belonging to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, close to the Custom House, on the Quay. The cabmen and porters are duly numbered, and, on complaint made to the authorities, are accountable for negligence or misconduct.

Generally on fine summer evenings there are music and dancing on the pier close to the harbour lighthouse.

Standing at this point, and looking in the direction of the south side of the harbour, the spectator sees the lighthouse, breakwater, Douglas Head Hotel, Harold Tower, Ravenscliffe, Fort Anne Hotel, and the pretty castellated house called Fort Anne Tower, close to the terrace named Fort William. The Imperial Hotel is a prominent object at the opposite end of the pier, and then succeed most of the terraces in the new part of the town, stretching away past Castle Mona Hotel and Derby Castle to the northern promontory of Bank’s Howe. the spire of Onchan Church is also visible in that direction. In the bay, at the opposite side of the Queen’s Pier, is seen the picturesque building known as the Tower of Refuge, which is situated on the Conister Rocks, and was erected in 1834, mainly through the exertions of Sir William Hillary, Bart. (founder of the Royal National Lifeboat institution), who resided for a time at Fort Anne, before that mansion was converted into an hotel. The tower cost 2541. 12s., of this sum Sir William paid 781. 11s.

Pleasure boats and yachts for hire are moored alongside the Old Pier. are also generally a number of similar boats stationed in the bay, near the Iron Promenade Pier. The charge for a boat, holding one, two, or three persons 1s 6d. per hour, and including boatman is. per hour ; yachts with one or two competent persons in charge range from 2s. 6d. to 5s. per hour. Fishing tackle is provided free of charge for those who pay 1s. for a small boat, or for those who go in a yacht.

Leaving the pier, the Imperial Hotel is passed. It is a large handsome building with accommodation for from sixty to eighty visitors, and contains a very elegant ladies’ drawing-room, the windows of which command a fine view of the sea, and to the north across the bay as far as Onchan village, and over the harbour to Fort Anne Hotel.

Close to the Imperial, are Kelly’s livery stables, the largest on the Island, where horses and conveyances may be had at any hour.

A few yards beyond the Custom House we arrive at the Royal Hotel, a large excellent house capable of lodging about eighty visitors. It is a favourite with commercial travellers, and patronised more than any other hotel in the town during the winter months.

From this point, if the tourist go down a short street, called Parade Street, passing on the right Marsden’s American Bowling Saloon, he reaches Queen Victoria’s Pier, which is generally called the New Pier, and sometimes the Queen’s Pier.

Part of this is erected on the Pollock Rock, on which, previous to 1818, stood a fort, said, by some high authorities, to have been at that time the most ancient in the British Isles. The antiquary will regard this demolition as a ruthless act of Vandalism, but there appears some excuse for the perpetrators when we note the remarks of Wood, who in his ‘ History of the Isle of Man,’ published in 1811, speaks of the ruin as " An ancient tower used as a temporary prison, a wretched dungeon now in ruins. The walls are completely naked, and do not form a pleasing object."

According to the old historian Waldron, " the great Caratake, brother of Boadicea, Queen of Britain, concealed here his young nephew from the fury of the Romans, who were in pursuit of him, after having vanquished the queen and slain all her other children. There is certainly a very strong and secret apartment underground in it, having no passage to it but a hole, which is covered with a large stone ; and is called to this day, ‘ The Great Man’s Chamber"

In an old MS. account of the island we read : " Douglas hath also a most considerable fort, strongly built of hard stone, round in form, upon which are a mounted tower and four pieces of ordnance. It is commanded by a constable and lieutenant. The constable and two of the soldiers, which are there in continual pay, are bound to lie in this fort every night and keep watch and ward upon the rampart betwixt the fort and the town."

The new low-water landing-pier is built of concrete blocks, composed of stone, sand, and gravel, mixed with the best Portland cement. The artificial stone thus constructed becomes in the course of two or three days as hard as the natural stone. The pier was commenced in 1867, and opened July 1st, 1872. It is 1100 feet long, 50 feet wide, and 31 feet above low-water level, and at the outer end the depth of low water at spring tides is 16 feet. The cost was 48,0001.

At the end of the pier, in summer evenings, there is generally dancing, and hundreds of people congregate, especially when passengers are landed here from the steamers.

The view from this point is remarkably fine, superior to that from either the Old or Iron piers. The bay and town are in sight, terrace rising above terrace from the shore, with the mountains in the rear, the whole forming a magnificent spectacle.

The Tower of Refuge is a few hundred yards distant, on the Conister rocks, on which, previous to its erection, many shipwrecks took place. It was built for the purpose of enabling shipwrecked mariners to climb into it for safety, and it is a very pretty object, adding greatly to the beauty of the bay. Many persons daily row to it during the tourist season, and generally it is tenanted by a man who provides refreshments not requiring a licence. All around on the rocks are oyster beds, the oysters being brought from near Laxey and Ramsey. Wordsworth visited the Isle of Man in 1833, and afterwards wrote the following sonnet, in which he makes special reference to this building. He says

" The feudal keep, the bastions of Cohorn,
Even when they rose to check or to repel
Tides of aggressive war, oft served as well
Greedy ambition, armed to treat with scorn
Just limits ; but yon tower, whose smiles adorn
This perilous bay, stands clear of all offence;
Blest work it is of love and innocence,
A tower of refuge to the else forlorn.
Spare it, ye waves, and lift the mariner,
Struggling for life, into its saving arms!
Spare, too, the human helpers ! Do they stir
‘Mid your fierce shock like men afraid to die?
No ; their dread service nerves the heart it warms,
And they are led by noble Hillary."

Standing at the end of the New Pier, looking towards the town, the spectator has on his left the lighthouse, breakwater, Douglas Head Hotel, Harold Tower, Ravenscliffe, Fort Anne Hotel, Fort Anne Tower, jetty, Old Pier, harbour lighthouse, and Imperial Hotel. Then the town stretching from the harbour and past the Iron Pier to Derby Castle, and thence by Onchan church spire to Bank’s Howe ; with spires and towers of St. Barnabas’ and St. Mary’s churches, two Congregational chapels, Scotch Kirk, and House of Industry: and many noble-looking terraces, with Castle Mona Hotel and Falcon Cliff Tower. The mountaineer will look with pleasure on his old friends, Greeba, Slieu Reay, Colden, Carraghan, Pen-y-Pot, Snaefell, the Cairn, and North Barrule. South Barrule is also seen in the distance, to the right of the Imperial Hotel.

From the New Pier persons may reach the sands by proceeding some distance along the narrow street called Fort Street ; but we will suppose them to return to the Royal Hotel by Parade Street.

Between the Royal Hotel and the Market Square are Kermode’s posting establishment, and the Lancashire House, where are billiard and bagatelle tables, and an American bowling saloon. After passing a number of inns and dining-rooms, the Market Place is reached. It is an open square, seated on the Quay, and surrounded by numerous hotels, the principal one being a large favourite house called the British Hotel. The market is held every Saturday, when the scene is very attractive. Scores of butchers’, fruit, and fish stalls, with farmers’ potato and vegetable carts, being on every hand, and numbers of the country Manx folks.

In the square is St. Matthew’s church, which was built in 1708, and is sometimes called the Old Chapel, being the most ancient place of worship in Douglas. There has recently been an agitation to remove this edifice, to make more space for the market. Some time ago a building was raised in Duke Street, now called the Wellington Hall, as a market hall ; but the farmers were too much wedded to the old spot to remove, and the consequence was the new hall had to be devoted to other purposes.

During the summer season dozens of conveyances are in the Market Square, ready for carrying visitors to all parts of the Island, and every weekday during the year coaches start at 10 A.M. and 4 P.M. for Castletown and Ramsey.

There are always fish and vegetable stalls, and the peculiar characteristics of the fish-women will be specially interesting to strangers. All the year round are fresh turbot, soles, brek, ray, flukes, gurnet, conger-eel, cod, oysters, haddock, whiting, and various other kinds, with herring very plentiful when in season.

The walk may be continued along the Quay, past Fleetwood Corner and numerous eating-houses and hotels, to Douglas Bridge and railway station. Many small vessels will be observed, from which are being unloaded coals and various kinds of merchandise, and sometimes the harbour is crowded with fishing-boats. Looking across the water to the South Quay, the gas works are observed near to a large quarry in the cliff, whence the principal building stone is obtained ; and near to the same spot are the farina works, where potatoes, principally from Scotland, Ireland, and Belgium, are preserved, being cooked, dried, and put in tins, and supplied chiefly to the army and navy.

Returning to the Market Square, the stranger enters Duke Street, the principal business street in the town. It is narrow, but contains excellent shops of every kind. On the left are passed some narrow branch streets, the first being Lord Street, in which was born the late Professor Forbes, of the University of Edinburgh ; the next being King Street, and the third Wellington Street. These lead to the upper and newer part of the town, close to Athol Street, where are the General Post Office, and the Banks, &c.

In Wellington Street is the Theatre Royal, a dramatic company generally performing every evening during the summer ; and close to the Theatre stands a large Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1823, and rebuilt in 1842. A few yards distant, in a small back street, called Thomas Street, is a large new Wesleyan chapel.

Just before arriving at Wellington Street, on opposite side of the road, is Fort Street (so named after the ancient Fort which formerly stood on the adjoining Pollock rocks), leading to St. Barnabas’ church, the shore, and New Pier.

Continuing along Duke Street, we pass, on left, Wellington Hall, which has previously been referred to as having been built as a market hall. Part of it is occupied as a large bazaar. Where Duke Street ends and Strand Street begins, there is a nasty sharp corner, and the wonder is that accidents are not more frequent. The stranger at once naturally jumps to the conclusion that it is imperative on the local authorities to make a slight improvement by knocking down one or two houses. Wood must be referring to this spot when, in his ‘History,’ he says : " The streets are very irregular, and in some places extremely narrow. I had the curiosity to measure the chief street opposite the projecting corner of a house, and found that it did not exceed seven feet." The seashore is observed on the right, not more than 20 yards distant, and there is a fine view of the Tower of Refuge ; whilst on the opposite side is Drumgold Street.

Although Strand Street is a continuation of Duke Street, the shops are not so large, and there is nothing of particular interest, except Webb’s Public Lounge, which is of the same character as the one in the Wellington Hall.

At the end of Strand Street are two openings on the right, to the shore and the gentlemen’s bathing-ground ; and on the left three openings lead up to Finch Road, in one of which is the Well Road Hill Methodist Chapel.

Continuing on a straight line through Castle Street to the Colonel’s or Shore Road, there are passed on the left the Mona Marine Hydropathic Baths, and on the right the Marine Baths, and the house for the Lifeboat. This boat was presented to the town in 1868 by the Sunday scholars of Manchester and Salford. It is supported by voluntary subscriptions, and is under the management of a local committee in connection with the parent institution.

We now reach the Promenade, the most pleasant and favourite resort of the visitors and townspeople. It is 1000 feet long, 75 feet wide, and is close to the sands and Is-on Pier, with seats upon it, placed at convenient distances. It was commenced in 1864, when the Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Woods granted a lease of a portion of the sands to the High Bailiff of Douglas for a term of 30 years, at a nominal rent of 11. per annum. A subscription was set on foot and 5001. collected. The ground was inclosed, a seawall erected, and the Promenade formed ; but soon the wall was seriously injured by the encroachment of the waves. The damage was repaired, and eventually the Douglas Town Commissioners took an assignment of the lease and agreed to pay 2301., the balance due to the High Bailiff for expenses incurred by him in completing the work.

On the right is the gentlemen’s bathing-ground, where are numerous machines, the charge for each of which is 3d. The ladies’ bathing-ground is a few hundred yards distant, on the further side of the Iron Pier. The sands being good and the water remarkably clean, the ground is specially adapted for bathing, and during the summer months many enjoy that luxury every weekday from early in the morning until noon. Very different is this scene from that which was presented in the beginning of the century, for in Wood’s ‘ History ‘ of the Island we read that in 1811 there was only one bathing-machine.

The Promenade is a delightful place for a stroll, this and the Iron Pier being the most fashionable resorts in the town.

At the rear of the Promenade, on the opposite side of the road, are the Villa Marina Hotel and the Villa Marina House, the residence of H. B. Noble, Esq. The surrounding grounds are beautifully wooded, and it is to be regretted that they cannot be purchased by the town, and converted into gardens for the resort of visitors, for a more favoured spot could not be desired. It would, if properly laid out, rival even the famous Spa at Scarborough, and such a spot is much wanted, for Douglas possesses few places where strangers can loiter on a wet day, or meet for concerts and entertainments. With this improvement, coupled with the proposed new street on the shore, Douglas would hardly be excelled by any other watering place in the British Isles.

Close to the Promenade is the Iron Pier, which is the property of a limited liability company. It was formally opened on the 19th of August, 1869, by Mrs. Loch, the wife of the Lieutenant-Governor. It is 1000 feet long and 18 feet broad. The cost was 65001., and the designer John Dixon, Esq., engineer, London. It is remunerative, having paid six per cent. dividend. The charge for entrance is 1d. per visit, 1s. 11d. per month, or 5s. per annum. It is open between April 1st and October 1st from 7 A.M. to 10 P.M., and between October 1st and April 1st from 8 A.M. to 9 P.M. Seats are placed at convenient distances, and at the end is a refreshment room.

The view from the end of the pier is remarkably good, embracing the whole bay, with its Tower of Refuge and north and south promontories of Bank’s Howe and Douglas Head. The old part of the town is seen nestling close to the harbour, and the new part is well displayed, rising in terraces from the shore, with the spires of St. Barnabas’ Church, Scotch Kirk, St. Mary’s Chapel, the two Independent Chapels, St. Thomas’ Church, and House of Industry. On the right, the Castle Mona Hotel presents a noble appearance, a fit abode for its former occupant, John, Duke of Athol. A short distance above, perched on a cliff, is a castellated mansion, called Falcon Cliff Tower, which will strongly remind continental travellers of the castles of the Rhine. Farther, in the same direction, are Strathallan, Derby Castle, and the spire of Onchan Church, with the tiny creeks of Porte-e-Vadda and Port Jack.

On leaving the Iron Pier, the tourist will probably stroll a few hundred yards farther, to the Castle Mona Hotel. It is a massive princely-looking pile, in a commanding position close to the sea, and sheltered by richly-wooded cliffs. The grounds, consisting of twenty acres, are well arranged, and reserved exclusively for subscribers, and visitors staying at the hotel. The building was erected in 1801, by John, the fourth Duke of Athol, for his own private residence, and was opened in 1805. It was built of freestone from the Isle of Arran, and is said to have cost upwards of 40,0001. It was the only property on the Island belonging to the Athol family which was not sold to the British Government when the Duke of Athol, in 1825, finally disposed of all his rights in the Island. Subsequently the building was purchased by a private gentleman, and converted into an hotel.

Directly opposite the Iron Pier is Broadway, a fine wide road leading up to the high ground on the north part of the town. At the corner is Bennett’s American Bowling Saloon. When fifty yards from the shore the road branches, the left-hand branch being called Derby Road, and the other Broadway. From the latter presently deviates to the right Victoria Road, conducting past the Elsinore Boarding House, and then behind the Castle Mona grounds, to Castle Hill and Falcon Cliff breweries, and behind the Falcon Cliff Tower, to the Deemster’s Bridge, Bemahague, and Onchan. The direct road, called the Ballaquale road, takes its name from an old whitewashed house standing on the top of the hill, opposite to which is a lane leading to right, past Brown’s Strawberry Gardens, to Bemahague. By continuing past the white-washed house the Belle Vue Strawberry Gardens are reached.

If the traveller leave Broadway, and follow the Derby Road, he will presently find himself in a new part of the town, bordering on the country, where are the Derby and Woodbourne Squares, and Handley’s . Bowling Green Hotel. Connected with the latter is the best bowling-green around Douglas, the only others being those on Douglas Head and at the Quarter Bridge. The hotel is a new house capable of accommodating about thirty visitors. There are also a croquet ground and a handsome billiard room. It is a pleasant spot, and not more than three minutes’ walk from the Iron Pier. Kirk Braddan may also be visited from this point as easily as from the lower part of Douglas. Close to the hotel is a large seminary for ladies, conducted by Miss Kayles.

If the tourist, when leaving the Iron Pier and Promenade, return into the town by St. Thomas’ Church, he will observe, opposite the Church, Rose Mount Road ascending steeply from the shore to some handsome terraces, in one of which is Rose Mount Hotel ; and close to this road, on the left hand, at the top of the hill, is the House of Industry, a substantial building with a square tower, erected in 1837, and supported by voluntary contributions. There are about 80 inmates, and it is the principal institution on the island where the poor are provided with homes. In connection with it is a system of outdoor relief, there being no legal provision for the support of the poor. The annual expenditure is between 11001. and 12001.

From St. Thomas’ Church, which is the only place of worship in Man possessing a peal of bells, the traveller may continue along Finch Road. At No. 4 in this street, during a temporary visit, died the distinguished painter, John Martin. On the right is a terrace of superior-looking houses, with gardens in front, called Mona Terrace, at the end of which are two branch streets, named Harris Terrace (containing Elliott’s Boarding House), and Christian Road. Then, on the right, are passed the terraces of Mount Havelock and Stanley Mount ; and on the left is observed Marshall Wane’s photographic studio. A few yards distant, on Prospect Hill, is another well-known photographic establishment, owned by Mr. Abel Lewis.

At the corner, where Finch Road meets Prospect Hill, is the Bank of Mona, a branch of the City of Glasgow Bank, the Presbyterian Church, and St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Chapel ; and behind the latter is St. George’s Church.

It. the tourist walk up Prospect Hill, past St. Mary’s Chapel, he will enter Buck’s Road on right, or Circular Road on left. Buck’s Road contains an Independent Chapel, and conducts to Rose Mount, and thence into the country in the direction of Bemahague and Onchan. Circular Road also contains an Independent Chapel, generally known as Smith’s Chapel, and conducts into the Kirk Braddan and Peel Road.

On emerging from Finch Road, if the descent be made down Prospect Hill, the Victoria Hall (a large room used for public lectures, concerts, &c.), an American Bowling Saloon, the Victoria Hotel, and Butterworth’s Boarding House, are passed ; and then the narrow streets of the old town are entered, leading into Duke Street, and to the Market Square, and the Quay. Douglas Isle of Man Bank, commonly called Dumbell’s Bank, is at the foot of Prospect Hill ; and at the top of a small street, on the right, is the Adelphi Hotel.

When halfway down Prospect Hill, Athol Street may be entered, where are the principal offices of advocates, merchants, and public companies. In it are the Telegraph and General Post Office, and the publishing houses of the ‘Isle of Man Times ‘ and the ‘Mona’s Herald.’ The third newspaper, the ‘Manx Sun,’ is issued from King Street, in the old part of the town. Opposite the Post Office is the Talbot Hotel, and a few yards beyond, on the other side, a noble-looking building with pillars in front, which was erected in 1840 by the Society of Odd Fellows, and called the Odd Fellows’ Hall. It has since been purchased by the town, and is now used as a Court House, under the name of the Court Buildings. Here are held some of the Tynwald Courts, and it is the headquarters of the police force. It contains a fine bust of the late Professor Forbes.

At the end of Athol Street is a news room, where the stranger may see Manx and English newspapers, the charge being 1d. per visit, or 6d. per week. It also contains a small library. This is the only public reading-room in Douglas. In the branch street close by, called St. George’s Street, is St. James’ Hall, used occasionally for public meetings ; and a few yards from it are Collister’s livery stables. At the end of Athol Street are the railway station, and the Douglas Bridge, and the commencement of the Peel Road. Here the stranger completes his circuit of the town.


St. Matthew’s Church, Market Square.
St. Barnabas’ ,, Fort Street, near Duke Street.
St. Thomas’ ,, near the Promenade.
St. George’s ,, Upper Church Street, near Prospect Hill.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Thomas Street, near Duke Street.
" ,, ,, Well Road, near Strand Street.
Primitive ,, ,, Wellington Street near Duke Street.
Roman Catholic Chapel (St. Mary’s), Buck’s Road, near Prospect Hill.
Independent Chapel, Buck’s Road.
,, ,, Circular Road.
Scotch Presbyterian Chapel, Finch Road, near Prospect Hill.
Seamen’s Bethel, North Quay.


Post Office and Telegraph Office, Athol Street.
Douglas and Isle of Man Bank (Dumbell’s Bank), Foot of Prospect Hill.
Bank of Mona, Prospect Hill, corner of Finch Road.
Isle of Man Banking Company (Limited), Athol Street.
Savings’ Bank, Athol Street.
Court House and Police Station, Athol Street.
Custom House, North Quay.
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company’s Office, North Quay.
Penny Reading Room and Library, Athol Street.
United Service Club, adjoining Steam Packet Office.
Theatre Royal, Wellington Street.
Victoria Hall, Prospect Hill.
St. James’ Hall, St. George’s Street, close to Athol Street.
Wellington Hall, Wellington Street.
Stanley Hall, Circular Road.
Good Templars’ Hall, Circular Road.
Masonic Hall, Prospect Hill (Athol Lodge, 1004).
Tynwald Lodge of Freemasons meet in St. James’ Hall, Athol Street.


Castle Mona Hotel .

Douglas Bay.

Fort Anne

South side of Harbour.


On the Pier.


. . ,,




Market Square.


Prospect Hill.


Church Street, near Prospect Hill.


Athol Street.

Rose Mount ,

Buck’s Road.

Handley’s Bowling Green Hotel

Derby Road.

Marina Hotel

Opposite the Promenade.

Queen’s Hotel

On the Shore.





Prospect Hill.


Harris Terrace.


Castle Mona Hotel.

Adelphi Hotel.

Fort Anne

York ,,



Royal (2 tables)



Handley’s Bowling Green Hotel.

Lancashire House.



Marsden’s American Bowling Saloon, Parade Street, near Queen’s Pier (4 alleys, each 63 feet long).
Toplis’s American Bowling Saloon, Lancashire House, near the Market Square.
Kay’s American Bowling Saloon, under Victoria Hall, Prospect Hill.
Bennett’s American Bowling Saloon, Broadway, near the Iron Pier.
Handley’s Bowling Green, Derby Road.
Marsden’s Bowling Green, Douglas Head Hotel.

A small Bowling Green at Quarter Bridge, near Kirk Braddan.


‘Isle of Man Times.’ The office in Athol Street. Published on Saturdays, price 2d.
‘Mona’s Herald.’ The office in Athol Street. Published on Thursdays, price 2d.
‘Manx Sun.’ The office in King Street. Published on Saturdays, price 2d.
‘Isle of Man Advertising Circular.’ The office on Prospect Hill. Published on Tuesdays, free.
London, Liverpool, and Manchester papers arrive every evening in summer, a penny paper being charged 1½d.


William Kelly, Imperial Stables, North Quay.
Robert Collister, St. George’s Street, near Athol Street.
J. L. Kermode, near the Royal Hotel, North Quay.
Thomas Shummin, Mount Havelock, near Finch Road.
George Malley, Buck’s Road.
Henry West Bell, James Street, near the Market Square.
W. Downward, South Quay.
P. Sayle, Hope Street ; &c., &c.


Marine Baths, Marina Road, near the Promenade. Mona Hydropathic Sea-water Baths, Castle Street.



Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000