[from A.M Harrision's Descriptive List of Insular Societies]
Peel Golf Club, a site of about 25 acres known as the Congary, on the Douglas side of Peel, designed and laid out by George Lowe of Lytham St. Annes was approaching completion in September 1895 when its progress was reported in the Peel City Guardian of 28 September. Led by High Bailiff Laughton, president and Joseph Mylchreest, M.H.K., 'the Diamond King', captain, the club already had a membership of between fifty and sixty and intended hiring a professional for their coaching in the new game.
Amenities for the locals were not the only purpose of the venture however. A project 'admitted by all who know anything about the game, that it will be undoubtedly the best links on the Island', it was also intended to bring visitors to Peel, now keen to develop as a resort.
Many English golfers have expressed great satisfaction at the prospect of having good links in Peel, and we know of some who would have visited Peel before this but for the absence of a golf club. The starting of the club is a good sign of the times, and no doubt will be the means of attracting a large number of visitors to Peel.
Isle of Man newspapers, ut supra et passim
...
...
|
|
||
|
|
||
|
Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received
The Editor |
||