Views of the Isle of Man in M.P.Backwell 1854 Guide

M.J.Backwell and M.P.Backwell were booksellers and publishers in Douglas and Castletown during the 1850's. The 1854 Guide contained 6 new steel engravings based on photographs by H.J.W (I have not so far identified this photographer - the initials do not correspond with any so far known Manx based photographer and 1854 is very early for any photographic work) .

Castletown from Hango Hill

Castletown from Hango Hill
Castletown is mid view, the mass of Castle Rushen and the now removed lantern of St Mary's are just visible.
Hango was the place of execution including in 1663 following the restoration of the Stanleys, that by firing squad of Illiam Dhone for his part in the surrender of Castle Rushen to the besieging Parliamentary Forces. Rather than leave a place of pilgrimage Charles, 8th Lord Derby built a summer house on the spot of which a ruined wall still remains. The houses in the foreground are the small cottages on College Green. These were possibly those described in Mona's Herald of 28 Aug 1833 when it reported 7 new houses on the Green and estimated that before the end of the year that patch of land would be all built on. A later, more impressive, terrace of town houses were constructed in the clear area in the near foreground and used mainly by families keeping sons at King William's College.
The bay to the left is Derbyhaven.

King William's College
King William's College was built 1833.

King William's College

Peel from the Castle

Peel from the Castle
The old pier light can be clearly seen at the end of the pier. A similar structure can just be made out on the Castletown pier. Later views show a pepperpot design.

Peel Castle

Peel Castle

Nunnery House

Nunnery House
from the Lawn

Laxey from the new road

Laxey from the new road


 Manx Note Book   [Views Index]


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2001