[From Manx Quarterly, #9 1910]
Died April 8th, 1910.
T'he Isle of Man is the poorer by the death of Mr George Preston, builder, Douglas, who, after a somewhat painful illness, patiently borne; passed away, at his residence, Kensington-road, Douglas, on Friday afternoon, April 8th, 1910. Mr Preston had not been in good health for some considerable time, before he was compelled to keep the house, but although suffering physical pain, he gave constant attention to his business, which was one of large extent. A few weeks ago he, acting on the advice of Dr Pantin, of Douglas, his medical attendant, went, across the water and consulted a specialist, who diagnosed an abscess on the brain. Retiring to the Island, Mr Preston, in conformity with the specialist's directions, took to his bed, and remained there under the care of Dr Pantin, until the end came, recovery from the first being regarded as a hopeless eventuality.
A native of Ballasalla, Mr Preston was born 62 years ago. He was educated at Ballasalla, and served his apprenticeship as a joiner in the district. On completing his service, he came to Douglas, and for a period worked as a journeyman with the late Mr James Cowle, builder, of St. George's street and earned a high reputation as a skillful and intelligent craftsman. Over twenty-five years ago he entered into partnership with Mr J. Kelly, and the, firm, underr the style of Kelly and Preston, carried on business as joiners and builders, t:heir workshops being on Douglas Head-roadl. About ten years ago, the partnership was dissolved, and the business was continnued by Mr Preston, who, in course of time, removed to new workshops which he erected in Allan-street. Mr Preston, either as a member of the firm or on his own account, erected some notable buildings in Douglas The chief feature of his workmanship was conscientiousness-the fact that he had executed work was a guarantee as to its excellence and completeness. Among other contracts he carried out were those for the erection of the Isle of Man Gaol. St. Matthew's Church, the Rose Mount Wesleyan Church, and the Demesne road Board School He also carried out the extensive alterations to Victoria-street Wesleyan Church, and a year or two ago completed the chancel of St. Matthew's In. every instance he gave the fullest satisfaction to his patrons and to the architects, and clerks of works with whom he came into business contact. He also, on his own account, put up a large number of houses in Douglas, including several in Walpole-avenue. Some few months a go he was successful in competition in securing the contract for the new hospital which, through the generosity of the trustees under the will of the late Mr H. B Noble, is to be erected off Westmoreland-road, Douglas, and shortly before his last illness he was busily engaged in making preparations for commencing a work he was not destined to complete. Mr Preston had strong political and social convictions. He held progressive views, and was a fearless and able supporterr of public rights of way, when these were threatened. In this latter connection he first came into prominence about thirty years ago. The footpath through the Nunnery was diverted by the late Sir John Goldie-Taubman and in consequence of this diversion there was much perturbation among the people in Douglas. An agitation, at the head of which was Mr Preston, was initiated for the restoration of the old footpath, and for some time relations between the public and Sir John were considerably strained. Mr Preston fought indefatigably and courageously for the people, and eventually an amicable settlement of the dispute was arrived at - a settlement to which Mr Preston's patriotic action mainly contributed. He also endeavoured, this time unsuccessfully, to establish a public right to recreation on land near Derbyhaven; and, later on, he led the demonstration which had as result the summary destruction of certain erections which were regarded as interfering with public rights of way on Pulrose farm. In these endeavours to champion public rights, Mr Preston displayed the utmost self-sacrifice, and displayed it in fashion which should enshrine his memory in the hearts of his fellow-countrymen. Though when necessity arose he could be both bold and determined, Mr Preston, like the great majority of truly brave men, was in ordinary life modest and unassuming of demeanour, while he was ever courteous and remarkably considerate and kind. He, it, the late 'eighties, was elected to the board of Douglas Town Commissioners, and as a member rendered useful service to the town. Though a ready speaker, he took part in debates rarely, but when he did speak his remarks were to the point, and were relieved by a vein of dry humour, which was one of his characteristics. He retired from the board once the town was incorporated. He had great faith in the Press as a vehicle for the ventilation of public grievances, and he was a frequent contributor to the columns of Douglas newspapers, his contributions being marked by independence and ability. He held broad views on the subject of religion, but personally he was a member of the Wesleyan Church, being for several years a sidesman at Rose Mount He was a member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, but never took important office in his lodge or the order. Mr Preston.'s wife died about twenty years ago. He leaves one son and three daughters, all grown up, to mourn their loss.
The funeral took place on Monday afternoon and was attended by people representing every class in the community. Mr George Preston (son), and Mr Norman Kermode were the chief mourners, and amongst others present were the Clerk of the Rolls, the Receiver-General, Messrs Robt. Clucas, J.P., W. Proctor, J.P., Alderman Kaye, Councillor R. D. Cowin, Councillor D. Flinn, J. G. Russell, Councillor Quayle, Councillor R. Moughtin, H. K., Councillor J. J. Corlett, Alex. Robertson, W. C. Craine, John Kelly (Christian-road), D. Evans, J. C. Cannell, R. Brindle, J, H. Clucas, J. E. Douglas, F. C. Poulter, Josiah Goldsmith J. C. Radcliffe, Alex. Gill, T. R. Lewin, W. H. Warburton, J. J. Spence,, J. H. Clarke, W. Quirk, Jno. Killip, R. Cubbon, D. Evarard, W. Kelly, G. Tyson, Robt. Knox J. Skillicorn, Capt. Cowley, Chas. Kay, J. Lewin, R. J. Grindley, Geo. Robertson T. Longden, F. Minay, James Kisrack, , A. B. Cuthbertson, J. Gibson, W. Kewley, T. P. Ellison, J. J. Taggart, R. Quayle, J. Cretney, J. J. Davidson, J. M. Bridson, A. B. Gelling, M. W. Corran, W. Knox, W. Beck, H. Qualtrough, J. Goldsmith, J. Cain, T. Callow, R,. H. Callister, H.K., M. Sharp, Chas. Cain, J. Collister (Castletown), J. J. Corlett, W. A. Waid, W. J. Kermode, Jas. Gelling, D. Clarke, W. Bridson; W. Moore, J. Moore, M. Killey, Cubbon, Robt. Douglas, and many ethers. The first part of the service was conducted in Rose Mount Church, the Rev W. H. Moseley assisted by the Rev J. W. Hall and the Rev A. Bradfield, conducting the service. The interment took place at the Borough Cemetery, the Rev H. Moseley conducting the service at the, graveside. A number of members of the Oddfellows' Order attended, the officers of the Victoria Lodge walking in procession behind the hearse. At the graveside Mr W. A. Craine read the Oddfellows' service for the burial of members
Died April 7th, 1910.
John Moore, accountant, of "Crofton," Port St. Mary, passed away on Thursday, April 7th, 1910, after a painful illness extending over six months, borne with exemplary patience. The deceased gentleman was in the prime of life, having only just passed his 43rd year, and could be ill-spared. He was possessed a considerable business aptitude, and was kindly, charitable, and courteous to a degree He was the eldest son of Mrs Moore and the late Mr John Moore, Athol-street, Port St. Mary.
Upon the completion of his scholastic career at Port St. Mary Boys' and Castletown Grammar School, Mr Moore entered into business with his father as builder and contractor, and continued to labour in this capacity with unwonted zeal until his appointment as secretary to the various boards with which he ultimately became connected. He was appointed secretary to the Rushen Water Works Co, on the retirement of the late Mr Thomas Collister; and of Port St. Mary and Port Erin Gas Company on its inception; and had for many years discharged the duties of clerk to the Rushen School Board-positions which he hold without intermission up to the time of his death. During his illness his brother, Mr Alfred Moore, has been attending to these duties. The deceased was also secretary to the now defunct Port St. Mary Estate Company.
As local hon. secretary to the Lifeboat committee, Mr Moore succeeded the late Captain Kissack, and in this capacity he was instrumental in raising considerable sums towards the funds of the Institution. As local hon. see. to the Hospital Committee he worked hard for several years Mr Moore was elected to the Port St. Mary Commissioners in 1906, and completed his term in November last, when, owing to ill-health, he did not seek re-election. During his tenure of office, many improvements were wrought in the local government of the district, and much of this must be ascribed to the practical knowledge brought to bear on the work by the deceased. His administration throughout was marked with ability and proficiency. His co-directors on the Port St. Mary Golf Club have lost an ardent worker, and to him (with a few other gentlemen) is due the present existence of the links. He realised the value of the links to Port St. Mary as a visiting resort, and strove valiantly-oftentimes against mighty odds-to keep the concern going. In this connection he organised sports for several seasons in succession, and bore the brunt of the work. He was founder of the P.S.E. movement, and his advice was sought and regarded in social matters. Deceased took a practical interest in politics, and successfully acted as agent for candidates to the House of Keys. As a member of the Harbour of Peace Lodge of Oddfellows he did yeoman service, having gone through all the chairs. He was especially popular with juvenile members, and was never tired organising fetes and entertainments for their benefit. Like his father, he was a P.P.G.M. of the Isle of Man District, of which he was a tried and valued member. He was appointed a district trustee upon the death of his father, a few years ago. On several occasions he had conferred upon him the honour of representative to the A.M.C., and being a fluent speaker, he frequently championed the Island's cause at these meetings. Prior to the opening of our branch at Port St. Mary, Mr Moore discharged the duties of correspondent to this journal with distinct ability. He took a great interest in horticulture, and had gained many prizes at the shows at Castletown and Douglas. Deceased took a lively interest in Port St. Mary as a visiting resort, and was one of a committee who collaborated in providing the matter for the "Borough Guide," which has just been issued.
His death has cast a gloom over the district, and widespread sympathy goes out to his wife, mother, and only son, and the other members of the family, in their irrepairable loss
The funeral of the late Mr John Moore, took place on Sunday, April 10th, at Kirk Christ Churchyard, Rushen. The high esteem in which the deceased gentle-man was held by all classes of the community was strikingly manifested by the unprecedented attendance, it being probably the largest funeral that has ever taken place in the parish The casket containing the mortal remains was reverently borne from the house at two o'clock, and the Rev W. Harris (Primitive Methodist minister) gave out the hymn ' It is well with my soul," which was impressively sting A procession was then formed, consisting of the adult and juvenile members of the Harbour of Peace Lodge of Oddfellows (deceased being a member, and a P.P.G.M. and Trustee of the District); the members of the lifeboat crew, in charge of Coxswain Wm. Kelly (deceased being hon. secretary of the local committee for some years) ; members of the Mona Rushen Rechabite Tent, and the general public The remains were carried shoulder high, and en route to the church-yard the hymns "O God, our help in ages past," and "Jesu, Lover of my soul," were sung, and the 90th Psalm was chanted. Blinds were drawn, and flags on public buildings and shipping in, the harbour were at half-mast. Arrived at the churchyard, the cortege was met by the Rev C. H. Leece (Vicar of Rushen) and the Rev A. K. Dearden (Rector of Harrington), a former curate in the parish. To the soft strains of the "Funeral March," the mournful procession proceeded up the aisle. The service in church consisted of the chanting of the 9th Psalm, the lesson was read by the Rev A. K. Dearden, and the hymn "My God, my Father, while I stray," was feelingly sung; followed by the " Dead March" in "Saul," impressively played by Mr A. Cregeen, A.I.S.C. The committal sentences and prayer were read by the vicar ; and the beautiful service of the Oddfellows' Order was taken by Mr W. J. Howland, Provincial Grand Master.
The chief mourners were: Frank Moore (son), Messrs William, Edwin, Walter, Herbert, Alfred, and Tom Moore (brothers), Mr J. W. Harper (brother-in-law), and Messrs James Gawne, Wm Gawne, and Thomas Gawne (uncles). Bearers were Messrs Thos. .Clague T.C.P.G., H. J. Qualtrough, Daniel Lace P.C., and J. Donald Clucas, C.P., H.K., P.P.G.M.
Amongst the Oddfellows present, we noticed the following: Mr W. J. Howland Prov. Grand Master, Good Anchorage Ramsey; Messrs Thomas Qualtrough P.P.G.M., Provincial Treasurer, J.J. Qualtrough, P.P.G.M., and M. Pollard P P.P.G.M., Harbour of Peace Lodge, Port St. Mary; Messrs J. Austin, P.P. G.M. and W J. Corkill, P.P.G.M., Victoria Douglas ;Messrs W. H. Kneale, P.P. G.M.and J. G. Corlett, P.P.G.M., Douglas; Mr J. Clague, P.P.G.M., Hope and Anchor, Castletown; Messrs Kermode, H.K., P.P.G.M
Theme were many beautiful floral tributes of affection in the shape of crosses and wreaths, viz.: Directors of Port St. Mary and Part Erin Gas Co., directors of Rushen Waters Works Co., Rushen School Board, wife and son, mother, Katie and Tom, Mr and Mrs Wm. Moore (Liverpool), Mr and Mrs Walter Moore (Liverpool), Mr Edwin Moore (Liverpool), Mr and Mrs Herbert Moore, Mr and Mrs Alf. Moore, Mr and Mrs J. W. Harper, Mr and Mrs Edwin Qualtrough, Mr Qualtrough and Family (The Anchorage), Mr and Mrs F. A. J. Poulson) (Bootle), Mr and Mrs T Gawne (Fistard), Mr and Mrs J. Gawne (Glenaawn), Mr and Mrs Thomas Clague snd family, members of Port St. Malry Golf Club, Mr W. H. Williams (Liverpool), Mr and Mrs Samuel Watterson (Douglas), Mr and Mrs Richard Costain (Four Roads), Mr and Mrs W. Kelly (Newlyn), Mr and Mrs W. H. Watterson, Mr and Mrs T. H. Qualtrough, Mr and Mrs W. Turnbull, Isle of Man District of Oddfellows, M.U., Port St. Mary lifeboat crew and helpers; employees of H. and A. Moore, employees of Gas Works, teachers and scholars of Port St. Mary Boys and Infants' Schools, teachers and scolars of Rushen Boys' School, teachers and scholars of Rushen Girls' School, teachers and scholars of Port Erin Infants' School, etc., etc.
At the conclusion of the morning service at Port St. Mary Wesleyan Church on Sunday, Miss A. M. Bridson (organist) played the "Dead March" in "Saul."-Mr Enos Collister, organist at Port St Mary Primitive Church, played the following appropriate pieces on Sunday morning: "Largo in B Minor (Lefebure-Wely) and "Marche Funebre."-Sympathetic references were made to the deceased on Sunday evening at St. Mary's Church (.Port St. Mary) by the Vicar, and at Rushen Parish Church by the Rev A. K. Dearden.
A meeting of the Rushen School Board was held on Monday evening, Mr J. D. Clucas, H.K., C P., presiding. A tribute was paid to the services of the late Mr John Moore (clerk), and it was unanimously resolved to record same on the minutes
Died May 17th, 1910.
When the news spread soon after noon on Tuesday, May 17th, that Mr Frederick Browne, advocate, Douglas, had died under conditions so sudden as almost to be tragic, there was consternation throughout the town. Mr Browne was a well-known figure in Douglas life, and. respected by all, he was held in affectionate esteem by his intimate friends. It appears that on Friday of last week, Mr Browne, with his wife and daughter, went to Port Erin with the intention of spending the Whitsuntide vacation at that beautiful seaside resort. They put up at The Hydro, conducted by Mr John Clague, where they where wellknown. Mr Browne appeared to thoroughly enjoy his holiday, and on Tuesday morning he was in excellent spirits. After breakfast; he and his daughter hired one of Mr H. Watterson's light rowing boats for the purpose of an excursion on the smooth waters of the bay. Brilliant sunshine prevailed and the temperature was unusually high. Mr Browne, with a view, presumably, to minimise the effects of the heat, took off his coat and proceeded to row about the bay, keeping inside the breakwater line. He thus engaged for about two hours, and then brought the boat back to the landing gangway. Mr W. Watterson, one of the boatmen, went to the water's edge to assist Mr Browne and his daughter ashore. Miss Browne first stepped on to the gangway, and Mr Browne reached for his coat, with the object of resuming that garment. While in the act of reaching, he was observed to stagger, but the boatman caught him and prevented him from falling. He was assisted ashore in a fainting condition. Mr H. Watterson, the owner of the boat, noticing that something was wrong, immediately repaired to the spot and once loosed the clothing about the unfortunate gentleman's neck, and then saw to his removal to a higher level on beach, where everything possible was done for him pending the arrival of medical assistance, which had been summoned. Dr Bromley, of Port Erin , being absent from home, Dr Williams was telephoned for, and he, though in Port St. Mary when the summons was received, made such expedition that he was in Port Erin at Mr Browne's side four minutes later. Mr Browne, by the doctor's instruction was removed to the house of Mr Watterson, Shore-road, and on arrival there he almost immediately expired Miss Browne, who had accompanied father to the house was, as may well imagined, much upset by the terrible bereavement which had befallen her unexpectedly. It has transpired while on the water, Mr Browne made complaint as to feeling unwell, and, just before he approached the shore returning he cheerfully exchanged conversation as to the weather with English gentleman Dr Williams able to certify that death was due to apoplexy, and this being so, the holding of an inquest was unnecessary. It is medical opinion that the seizure immediately brought about by exertion of rowing combined with the heat. The ambulance connected with Noble's Isle of Man Hospital having been procured, the body was on it removed to the Railway Station at Port Erin thence transported by the 4 p.m. train to Douglas. On arrival at Douglas the body was removed to the deceased gentleman's residence, Fairholme, Somerset-road. Mrs Browne, who on learning of husband's death, had received a shock, had left for Douglas by an earlier train in order to superintend the mournful task of preparing for the reception of the body. The funeral took place yesterday (Friday) morning, the internment being at the, Borough cemetery. The the memorial services in connection with the funeral of the late King were fixed to be held almost immediately after the interment of Mr Browne, a large gathering of members of the Manx Bar and others followed to the grave of the kindly-hearted gentleman who for well-nigh forty years had unostentatiously but effectively worked with a view to making communal life in Douglas pleasant and profitable.
The late Mr Frederick Browne, who was the sixtieth year of his age, was by birth an Irishman, and came of a good Irish family, his brother having served the office of High Sheriff of his county.While still very young, Mr Browne was brought to reside in Douglas, and he received his early education at a private school kept by the late Mr Henry Kellett, in Stanley-terrace.. Subsequently he proceeded to King William's College, where his scholastic training was completed. On leaving school he was articled to Mr Laurence William Adamson, advocate, then a leading member of the Manx Bar and Deputy to his father, the late Mr Laurence Adamson, H.M. Seneschal. By the way, Mr L. W. Adamson is still living,his residence being in Northumberland. Mr Browne was admitted a member of the Manx Bar in 1873. and he at once commenced practice. He soon acquired a well-deserved reputation as a careful and concientious lawyer, whose aim in his profession was to conserve and advance by all proper means the interests of his clients. His practice rapidly increased, end at the time of his death it was one of the largest in the Island. Mr Browne mainly concerned himself with family, Company, and local board work, and thus his practice was for the most part in the Chancery Court and before the Legislature. In connection with the ever-memorable Dumbell's Bank trials, however, he appeared to prosecute the defaulting directors and officials at the inquiry before the late High-Bailiff Harris, and 'n the proceedings before the Court of Criminal Inquiry and the Court of General Gaol Delivery he was with the Attorney-General for the Crown. Hie examination and cross-examination of witnesses in the famous trial were, remarkable for clearness ability, and conspicuous fairness. His knowledge of company law was unexcelled in the Isle of Man, and he was advocate to many large public companies, notably the Villiers Hotel Company. He was also a trustee for the debenture holders. in the Palace and Derby Castle, Ltd. There was seldom an application to Tynwald by a local body in the Isle of Man but Mr Browne appeared either to support or oppose the application. He was advocate to the Port St. Mary Village Commissioners and the Laxey Village Commissioners; and in the days prior to the Port Erin Commissioners gaining such notoriety in connection with legal matters he was legal adviser to that board. Another semi-public position which he held was that of counsel to the Isle of Man Licensed Victuallers' Association, and in this connection he engaged, sometimes successfully, sometimes unsuccessfully, but always ably, in many a keen fight before the Licensing Courts of the Island. In the Isle of Man Law Society Mr Browne held every important position. He was for many years secretary, to the year 1898. Since then he has held the office of hon. treasurer to the time of his decease. During 1908 and 1909 he was president of the society, having previously held for some years the post of vice-president. In regard to religious and philanthropic work, Mr Browne rendered the Isle of Man in general, and Douglas in particular, yeoman service. In 1880 he became hon. secretary of the Isle of Man Hospital, in succession to Mr James Hodgson The late Mr E L. Watts was treasurer at the time, but was soon succeeded in that post by the late Mr Robert Allen, and the Hospital has never been more prosperous than during the lengthy period when those two gentlemen Mr Browne and Mr Allen were at the helm of the institution, managing its business with tact and constantly stirring up the public to furnish them with means for its support. Mr Browne was succeeded in the honorary secretaryship in 1893 by the late Mr F. B. Fleming. Mr Browne's legal knowledge was freely placed at the disposal of this and other charitable institutions which he was connected with. Thus for a number of years he was honorary legal adviser to the House of Industry, and afterwards became a member of the committee. Those behind the scenes say that his gratuitous legal services savcd the institution many pounds a year. He was also a member of the committee of the Isle of Man Industrial Home for Orphan and Destitute Cbildrein, and in this capacity was a hard worker.
From 1897 Mr Browne was chairman of the Douglas Branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, and devoted his abilities and work to the welfare of a great cause, and he remained in this post up to the time of his death. Perhaps he was more enthusiastic in regard to the Lifeboat Institution than as to any other charitable work. His whole heart was with it, and however busy he was, he ever found time to preside at committee meet-ings and to otherwise further the work of the Branch. By the officials of the Parent Institution ho was held in the highest respect, while his fellow-members of the local committee and the members of the lifeboat crew justifiably looked upon him as a constant friend. Broad-minded in his attitude to all religions, Mr Browne was himself by firm conviction a devoted member of the Church of England. From early youth up to a few years ago, he attended St. Barnabas', Douglas, and was an earnest worker is connection with that place of worship. He in the days of Canon Hobson's vicariate was very prominent in bringing about the re-decoration of the church, and his legal knowledge, was always placed freely at the disposal of the vicar and wardens. Of late years Mr Browne attended All Saints and St. George's Churches. With wife and daughter (Miss Annie Browne) he took active part in furthering various religious and charitable movements, notably the local branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society. Mrs Browne is one of the honorary secretaries of the Branch. Mr Browne was a brother of mystic tie, and at one time his interest in Manx Freemasonry was keen. He was a member of the now extinct Ellan Vannin Lodge, which in its day had consider repute. Mr Browne, married the widow of Col. Baker, an Irish landowner, who was the victim of an agrarian murder during the troubled times of thirty years ago. Much sympathy is felt for Mrs and Miss Browne in their great affliction.
By the death, on April 13th, 1910, of Mr Keown, joiner and builder, of Bridge-street, Peel loses one of its oldest and best-known inhabitants. In early manhood Mr Keown emigrated to Australia in the fifties, but did not stay very long there. He returned to Peel, married Miss Gell, a daughter of Capt Gell, harbour master, and settling down made a decent livelihood at his business. He was fifty-three years in Bridge-street, where three sons and three daughters were born. His wife died about forty years ago. He was for some time a Rechabite, and always a teetotaller, and an adherent of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. For several years he had been failing, and latterly suffered a great deal of pain. He had reached his 90th year The funeral was on Wednesday and was conducted by the Rev. Lloyd Jones. Among the mourners were his sons William and Mr James Keown, Mr Walker (son-in-law), Mr Collister (grandson) and Mr S Keown Broadbent (cousin). Many old townspeople as well as younger friends of the family were also present. His eldest son, Mr John Keown, is in South Africa. Besides his sons, two daughters survive-Kate married to Mr Walker, of Greenock;and his youngest daughter, Minnie, who nursed her father most assiduously to the last. Maggie who was married to Mr William Collister died some years ago. Mr Keown was respected for his high character and sterling principle.
Died April 9th, 1910.
It came as a great shock to residents in the Southern District of the Isle of Man to learn on April 9th, 1910, that death had claimed Mr Daniel Teare Callow, of Castletown, a gentleman who was held in high esteem and regard by a large circle of acquaintance. Mr Callow, while riding a bicycle which he had recently purchased, on Thursday of last week had a fall from the machine and was rendered unconscious He was conveyed to his residence in Castletown in Mr Thomas Moore's motor car, and was assiduously attended and treated by Dr Jones and Dr Sandford, but he never regained consciousness, and, as stated, he died on Saturday morning. Accompanying him a bicycle when he sustained the accident was his thirteen-years-old daughter, Miss Emily Callow, who, as can well be imagined, was greatly distressed by the occurrence.
Mr Callow, who was 41 years old, was a son of Mr Daniel Charles Callow, builder, of Riverside, Ramsey. A brother is brewer to the Castletown Brewery Co. His other brother and sister are in Castletown. It was as a child of four months he went to Castletown, on adoption by his maternal aunt, Miss Sarah Cubbon, now Mrs Edward Martin. After completing his education, he went to Ramsey and served his time as a builder with his father, but subsequently returned to Castletown. When Miss Cubbon married Mr Martin, her adopted son had grown into a promising young man. Mr Martin, who was then coroner of Rushen and a general agent, made him his clerk. On Mr Martin giving up the coronership about twelve years ago, Mr Callow succeeded him, and has in alternate years acted either as coroner or lockman for the sheading. His various offices included Coronership of Rushen, secretary and manager Castletown Steam Trading Co., Moor and Sergeant of the Abbey of Malew, former secretary to the Castletown Golf Links Co., Clerk to the Castletown School Board, secretary of the Castletown Town Hall Co., Asylum and Poor Rates Collector for Castletown and Malew, and Lloyd's Agent for the Isle of Man. He has left a widow and two children. The children are Emily, aged 13, and Daniel Norman Teare Callow, aged 12 years. His widow is the only daughter of Mrs Jones, for many years matron of Castle Rushen Gaol.
Despite the heavy rain which fell most of the day, a large crowd assembled in Castle-street, to escort the remains of Mr D. T. Callow, T.C., to their last resting-place in Malew Churchyard, along the route to which the shops were closed and all blinds drawn. The Town Commis-sioners, Freemasons, and Oddfellows were well represented, the deceased having held high offices in all three. The Manx Steam Trading Company (to which the deceased had been secretary and manager) was represented by two of the directors, Messrs Joseph Kaye and M. Hampton. The Castletown School Board (to which the deceased was clerk) was also well represented. A number of the lifeboat crew were also in attendance, Mr Callow having been recently appointed hon. secretary to the Institution; and H.M. Coastguards, Messrs Short, Burnett, and Smith, as members of the Rocket Corps and Institute, were also present. The hymn, " Jesus, Lover of my soul," was given out by the Rev E. H. L. Locket. The hearse and coffin were covered with wreaths, and the coffin also bore the Oddfellows' Grand Master's chain of office, which emblem, by the way, was presented to, but never worn by the deceased, his ill-health having prevented him attending lodge meetings since it was presented.
The mourners were Mr D. C. Callow (father), Mr Thomas T. Callow (brother), Messrs Robert, James, and Wm. Cubbon (uncles; the latter being the representative to the Manx Steam Trading Co. in Liverpool), Mr William Jones (brother-in-law); Mr Thomas Lace, of Port St. Mary, (cousin of Mrs Callow) ; Mr Ed. Martin (uncle by marriage); and Mr Grandison, of Liverpool (a personal friend of the deceased). 'These were followed by the office staff-Messrs Charles Corkill, J. E. Quayle, and H. Corrin; and Mr William Collister, captain of the s.s. Tyrconnell. The cortege was met at the church by the Rev J. M. Spicer, Vicar of Malew, who conducted the service, and the coffin was borne in and out of church by Messrs J. W. Corrin (chairman), J. W. Cannell, J. J. Coo1e and D. E. Cooper, of the Castletown Commissioners.
At the close of the service, as is customary, the Oddfellows and Freemasons respectively dropped sprigs of thyme and accacia into the grave. The floral tributes here numerous and beautiful, and in themselves an assurance of the very high esteem in which the deceased was held.
Following his recent appointment as secretary to the Lifeboat Institution, Mr Callow had arranged to give the crew, along with the members of the Rocket Corps; a supper on Tuesday evening last - the day of his funeral. Mr Callow had also been appointed Island Lloyd's Agent, and the harbour masters of all the ports, made an attendance at the funeral. Mr Callow was well-known in motoring and yachting circles, and was a very valuable and serviceable member of the various, regatta and other committees in Castletown. He was a member of the Royal Mersey Yacht Club, and frequently raced his beautiful cutter Maple Leaf in English and local regattas.
We regret to record the death which took place on April 28th of Mr Howard Kinsley Cubbon, marble mason and sculptor, of Castletown, at the early age of 38 years. Mr Cubbon, who was highly respected in the town, had been in failing health for a considerable time, but his death, none the less, came as a shock. Mr Cubbon was a public-spirited man, and as a member of the Castle-town Commissioners (to which he was appointed in November) he displayed much ability. He was for many years an enthusiastic member of the Hope and Anchor Lodge of Oddfeliows, and he was a Past Grand of the Lodge. Perhaps Mr Cubbon was best known throughout the Island as a singer, but he was a singularly gifted all-round musician. Indeed few Manxmen are there more versatile in the art than was he, for he was equally at home with the organ, piano 'cello, violin, and piccolo He was a tall, well-built man, and possessed a magnificent bass voice, which brought him distinction at the Guild Music Festivals in solo, duet and quartette classes. His most recent success was gained a couple of years ago when with Mr Arnold Kermode, he carried off the special prize for the tenor and bass duet. Mr Cubbon was formerly a prominent Rugby footballer. He leaves a widow and three small children.
The funeral took place at Malew Church-yard on Sunday, May 1st.
On Jan. 27th, 1910, Mr Thos. Costain died at Shrub Oak, Westminster-terrace. New York, U.S.A. He was born on the 27th March, 1820, in a house that stood at the corner of Strand and Howard streets, Douglas, which was then owned by his mother, nee Kate Kelly. Removing to Liverpool when quite young, he was educated at the Duke-street Academy. In 1846 he married Miss Kate Birch, Littlehampton, and soon after removed to Boston, Mass., and later to New York City, where he was a successful builder. In 1886 he bought the farm at Shrub Oak near Perkskill, N.Y., and there spent the remainder of his life in healthful outdoor pursuits. He leaves two sons and daughters. A brother of the deceased gentleman also survives,, viz., Mr Paul Wm. Costain, of Atlantic, Mass., who is in his eightieth year, and who married Miss Margaret Wright, of Douglas. Mrs Casement, of Woodbourne-square, Douglas, is a second cousin of the Costains.