[From JMM vol 2 pp139/140]
The above gives an illustration of the 1733 Manx Coinage, consisting of pence and halfpence. After this date the Eagle and Child appeared no more on a coin. The 1732 piece shown above was a pattern only and was never issued. An example in copper of the proof of the unissued 1732; and silver proofs of the 1733 coins are in the Museum. These two are considered by experts to be very beautiful.
The Bi-Centenary of the issue of the 1733 Manx Coinage occurs in this year, and some notice should be taken of the important event.
The coinage of the Island, as distinct from that of England, extends over a period of nearly two hundred years, commencing in 1668 and terminating in 1839.
The first coin was issued by John Murrey, a Douglas merchant; and the second was in 1709, having been cast in Castle Rushen.
Other issues appeared of the dates 1723, 1727, 1732, 1733, somewhat similar in design, but of very superior execution. All of these, so Dr. Philip Nelson states, emanated from the mint of William Wood, who is better known on account of his coinages for Ireland and America.
Mr. John F. Crellin, of Orrysdale, in vol. xxx of the Manx Society publications, gives an account of the minting of the 1733 pennies and halfpennies 'at some part near Castle Rushen,either in the Castle or at Derbyhaven.'
Mr. Crellin stated in his article, dated 1876, that his 'maternal grandfather having informed me that his grandfather told him that he remembered brass guns on the top of Castle Rushen and that these guns were removed thence and were used for the purpose of this (1733) coinage.'
[The next section appears to be one of the more inaccurate bits of genealogy by William Cubbon - known not to be his forte]
an Ancestor of the Governor of the Bank of England.
One of the craftsmen engaged upon the 1733 Manx coinage was John Wilks. In Mr. Crellin's paper he is recorded as having received on 19th April, 1733, 1s. 9d. for making 'six small melting pots for melting of silver as per receipt.' John Wilks' wife is said to have come from Kirk Malew; her name was Margaret, but her surname is unknown. John, according to the Kirk Malew Register, lived with his wife at 'Newtown in Ashold, Kirk Santan.' (This is near Mount Murray.) He was buried at Kirk Malew on the 14th January, 1768, and his wife died a year after and was buried with him on the 18th February, 1769.
John Wilks and Margaret his wife are recorded to have had at least five [sic ? 3] children.:-
1. John Wilks, baptised at Kirk Malew, 30th June, 1717.
2. James Wilks, baptised at Kirk Santan, 26th July, 1719., He became the most eminent clergyman of his day, and died in 1777 Rector of Ballaugh.
3. Isable, baptised at Kirk Santan, 25th April, 1723. [ error - confusion with another family]
4. Margaret, who became the wife of Vicar-General Thomas Cubbon and the mother of Sir Mark Cubbon. [? error - mother of Sir Mark was Margaret Wilks daughter of Rev James Wilks]
5. Anne. [? error - the Ann who married John Corlett was daughter of James Wilks by second wife Elizabeth Christian]
Anne Wilks, mentioned above, married John Corlett of Douglas, said to have been one of the Corletts of Ballamona, Ballaugh.
The second son of the above John Corlett, James Collet (the surname had been changed), was born in Douglas on the 27th of July, 1784. He married at Archangel, Russia, 1812, Wendelina Elizabeth, daughter of Abraham Van Brienen, and by her had issue three children, one of whom was Sir Mark Wilks Collet, 1st Baronet, a Lieutenant for the City of London, and late Governor of the Bank of England. He had by his first wife Susan Gertrude Eyre, a daughter Lina Susan Penelope Collet. She married on 15th November, 1870, Frederick Henry Norman. Her eldest son became the Right Hon. Montagu Collet Norman, Privy Councillor, the present Governor of the Bank of England.
Any comments, errors or omissions
gratefully received MNB