[From Thwaites' Directory, 1863]


JURBY PARISH forms the north-western extremity of the island. It is bounded on the north and west by the sea, on the south by Ballaugh, and on the east by Andreas and Lezayre. In length from east to west it is about five miles, and in width from north to South about two miles. The church is situated eight miles north-west from Ramsey. The parish for the most part is under cultivation. The lands are level and fertile. There is an abundance of peat and turf, and marl pits are found in many parts. Occasionally the trunks of oak and fir trees, some of immense size, are discovered; a proof that in former times the island produced some good-sized trees. The principal landed proprietors in this parish are-Messrs. Frederick Anderson, Caesar Cain, Thomas Caley, John and Wm. Callister, Wm. Christory, Angus, P., and Thomas Clark, J. Cleator, John Clucas, John Corlett, Wm. Farrant, John Kaighan, T. and W. Keily, J. Killip, Robert and Thomas Kneale, F. J. Lace, T. Moore, John Morrison, Thomas Quayle, Robert Richardson, T. Stephen, T. Teare, and James White, and Mrs. Quilliam. In 1861, the parish contained 174 houses and 911 inhabitants. Of the houses, 10 were unoccupied. Of the population, 439 were males and 472 females. In 1851, the number of houses were 187 and the population 985, thus strewing a decrease in the last ten years of 13 houses and 74 inhabitants. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, occupies a delightful situation on an eminence about a quarter of a mile from Jurby Point. From the hill on which it is situated, a fine prospect is obtained of the sea and the surrounding coasts. The church was erected in 1814, in accordance with an act of Tynwald passed for that; purpose. From this we learn that the church is to contain one aisle and one row of pews, each pew sufficient to accommodate eight persons, and not to exceed thirty-six pews in the whole body of the church. The cost of the erection over and above the amount of contributions, &c., to be raised by assessment. The cost of building the chancel to be paid by the Lord Bishop. It appears that there was a church at Jurby so early as the latter end of the tenth century. In the Rolls of Scotland, under date 1291, we find the following:-" Roland, chaplain, has letters of presentation from the: King to the Church of St. Patrick, in Jurby, vacant, and in the King's gift, on account of the lands of Man being in the King's hands. And letters are directed to the Bishop of Man. Witness, the King, at Berwick-on-Twede, 16th June," The living is a Vicarage, value £200, in the patronage of the Lord Bishop of the diocese, and incumbency of the Rev. Elenry Hardy. Attached to the living are 33 acres of glebe land. Lying on the ground in a corner of the church yard is the fragment of an ancient runic monument. The carving is very rude, and appears to be the work of one not very well acquainted with sculpturing. The cross contains some interesting figures. Another Runic monument is in the garden connected with the vicarage. It has on it a raven and the figure of a female and a v arrior, the latter in a kilt or shirt of mail. It bears an imperfect inscription,-"....RU: SUN: IN: ONON: RASTI: AFL: FAITHUR: BR: " [tu s son; but Onan erected it to his father's brother. Besides the parish church, there are two chapels belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. That at Jurby was erected in 1847. That at Sandygate in 1862. The Parochial School is a small modern building, with master's residence attached. About 30 children attend, who are under the superintendence of Mr. Thomas Vondy. There is also a small school at Sandygate,where about 30 children receive instruction at the hands of Mr. Abnar Kerruish. From Quayle's View of the Agriculture of the Isle of Man, we learn that the tithes of the parish which had been previously let to the incumbent by the Bishop, for £17 3s. 0d., was raised in 1755 to £20, and continued at that rent till 1792. In 1811, they were let by auction for £231, so that in less than 40 years they were raised in amount above eleven-fold. The name of the parish is said to be a corruption of the Danish Ivorsby, i. e. the Village of Ivar. Whether it derives its name from the Ivar who is so much spoken of in Manks History' or from another person of that name is not known. From the LexScripta we learn that in 1098 a battle was fought at Santa art, or St. Patrick's Isle, in the parish of Jurby. (See page 34.) Mementos of this battle are occasionally dug up in the form of bronze, stone, and flint battle-axes or cells, and spear heads. On the estate of West Nappin are the ruins of an ancient Treen chapel. The lintel over the window is formed of one of the old runic crosses. Not far from this chapel is a tumulus, on the top of which is fixed a large grey stone. This tumulus is known by the name of Cronk Hoar. Near the church may be seen a large white quartz eratic boulder. It is said that it was hulled by a giant from the summit of Snafel, after a person who had caused him anger.


POST OFFICE at Andrew Joughin's. Letters arrive from Ramsey, at 8 30 a.m. and are despatched at 4.30 p.m.
Bannan Danl., butcher, Sandygate
Brew Thomas, joiner, &c.

Callister John, wheelwright
Christian Williann, shopkeeper
Corkill Jas., blksmith., Sandygate
Corlett Miss Ann, Ballamanagh

Farrant Wm., Esq.,C.P., Ballamooar

Hardy Rev. Henry, Vicarage

Joughin Andrew, blacksmith, Post Office

Kerruish Abner, schlmr., Sandygate
Kneen Thos., oversr., Ballamanagh

Quayle Wm., shoemkr. & shopkpr.

Vondy Thos., master Parochl. Schl

White James, gent., Summer Hill


Cain Caesar, Ballacaine
Caley Thomas, Ballacrink
Callister John, Ballaconnelley
Callister Thomas, Grove
Cavendish Thomas, Ballagiah
Christian Cornelius, Ballamanagh
Christory William, Ballachristory
Clarke James, West Nappin
Clarke John, Ballagarraghen
Clarke Thomas, Rhaindoo
Clarke William, Bretney
Cleator William, East Sartfield
Clucas John, Ballacrink
Corlett John, Barrag
Cowley John, Knockbreck
Cowley Thos., Sartfield,and miller, Lhen Mill, Andreas
Craine Henry, Knockmoor
Creer William, Nappin
Cubbon Thomas, Bretney
Gawne David, Ballagarraghan
Garrison Thomas, Ballaworrey
Joughin Andrew, (and blacksmith,) Post Office
Kelly William, Ballahasny
Killip John, Ballasalla
Kissack William, Ballasalla
Kneale Robert, Ballacry
Kneale Thomas, Ballasalla
Kneen Thos.,(and oveerseer,) Balla managh
Quayle Joseph Rbt., Ballabarran
Sayle Patrick, East Sartfield
Teare John, Ballacrink
Vondy John, Balliage
Wade John, Loughan


Back index next

Jurby Parish

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 1999