[From List of Manx Antiquities, 1930]
1. Lhiaght y Kinry; on the old road, about a furlong N. of the head of the Gill, at the boundary of the parish with Michael and German. (O.S. X/2)
2. Stone Cist, found about 50 yards N.E. of the site of Chapel on the Rheynn, at the boundary of the parish with Braddan. O.S. X/10
3. Cairn, about 217 yards w. of the Rheynn Chapel. O.S. X/10
4. Cairn, about 700 yards N.E. of the Nab, and 450 yards s.w. of Rheynn. O.S. X/14
5. Lagavolley, Greeba. A landmark on the southern slope of Greeba is recorded in the Marown Parish Register (written by the vicar. Rev. T. Christian, about 1780) under the name of S. Patricks Chair. Mr. W. Cubbon has recently identified this with a large boulder of local slate, 5-6ft. long by 3-4 ft. high, weighing some 8 tons, having a flat top, and built into position with upright stones at the back of it. On the W. side of the stream passing on to Pear.tree Cottage, and about 100 yards N. of the highroad. O.S. X/13
624. Group of Cairns, from 400 to 700 yards w. of Eairyjora, Archallaghan. In 1899, there were eleven in the plantation, and seven E. of the road were identifiable : the latter had been ploughed over but outlines could still be traced. We are told that on Eairy Kelly (the same place) a number were opened in 1872, when Urns were found from 12 to 18 in. high. O.S. XIII/l
25. S. Patricks Chair. A.M. About half a mile s.w. of Ellerslie. This may have been an early Place of assembly. Two upright pillars of the local granite bear incised Crosses, 6, 7, and are popularly thought to mark the spot where first the Gospel was preached in this district. O.S. XIII/1
26. Cairn, about 230 yards N.W. of Ballingan Chapel. Barely to be traced, but appears to have been about 30 yards diameter. O.S. XIII/1
27. The Braid. Circle of earth and of stones on the slope midway between the two converging roads. Outside the Circle, on the east, are remains of an Alley formed by great banks of earth, strengthened with stone. In 1905,Mr.A.Rigby found that one of these banks had a core of stones in courses.Y.L.M. pp. 92, 122. O.S. XIII/5
At a place called The old Sheepfold, within the fence of Greeba Plantation, about ¼ m. w. of Boshen, are several great Stones set on end, known locally as Fratlag. Two small Circles on Intack E. of Braid fly Boshen, N.W. of the farm buildings, may mark the site of an early settlement. O.S. X/9.
1. Ring Fort, levelled and ploughed over, about ¾m.N.E. of Crosby and 560 yards N.W. of the top of Cronk Moghiane. O.S. X/14
2. Fort, known locally as the Castle, about 400 yds. S. of Ballanicholas house, and the same distance S.E. of Campbell Bridge. This is marked Tumulus on the map. Mr. Kneen tells us, p. 116, that the old name of Ballanicholas was Oxrayzer, i.e. Cairn of the Oxen. He suggests that the name may have been derived from this mound. O.S. XIII/9
3. Ring Fort, about 670 yards S.E. of Campbell Bridge. The outer ring measures about 50 yds. diam. O.S. XIII/9
These are described with Plans and Illustrations in the First Report of the Archaeological Survey, 1909.
1. Site of Ch. and B G. on the Rheynn, Treen of Balytersyn, in field at 100 yds. N.E. of the house. Levelled about 1860. Lintel graves have been found and the broken Cross-slab with Runic inscription, No. 139. O.S. X/10
2. S. Trinians with B.G. A.M. Barony of S. Trinians. The existing ruin, about ¾ m. N.W. of Crosby and 67 yds. N. of the high-road, appears to date from the 14th century. Architectural details of 11th and 12th centuries, (some removed long since and used in the old Parish Church), show that a good building must have stood here at that time; while a covering-slab to a grave in the Chancel, bearing an early form of Cross, 26, bespeaks a much older date for the site. O.S. X13
3. Ruins of Keeill Vreeshey, with B.G. A.M. On the Garey, Keeill Vreeshey, Treen of Balyyeman, about 540 yds. N.E. of Crosby. The fragment of an early Cross-slab, 17, was found at the E. end. O.S. X/14
4. The old Parish Church called, Mr. Kneen thinks, after S. Runan of Lismnore Mochuda (in Co. Waterford), 7 Feb. Ballakilley, now called Ellerslie; Bmshops Barony. Lintel graves found,extending north-eastwards across the road. Early Cross-slabs, 50 and 81. OS. XIII/1
5. Ruins of Keeill Pharick with B.G., Ballafreer, Treen of Trolby. In plantation 600 yds. N. of highroad. O.S. XIII/2
6. Cabbal Druiaght. A.M. Foundations of Ch. with B.G. on Glenlogh, Treen of the same name. About 33 yds. N.E. of house. OS. XIII/2
7. Foundations of Ch. and B.G. in the Orchard, Ballaquinney mooar. Treen of Sanrebrek. About 630 yds. S.E. of house. O.S. XII1/2
8. Ruins of Keeill Ingan with B.G., Ballacotch, Treen of Sanrebrek. In plantation, about 165 yds. N. of house. Mx. Soc. xv, 85, O.S. XIII/6
9. Site of Ch. and B.G., Treen of Balynicholas About 280 yds. E.N.E. of Ballachrink house. O.S. XIII/5
10. Site of Ch. and B.G. in Chapel Field on the same Treen. About 430 yds. E. of Ballanicholas house. O.S. XIII/5
1. A Fair was held at Greeba on 12 Jan., recorded for 1816 1834. Of this, Mr. Kneen says: . . . It may be merely a coincidence that this was on the Eve of the feast of S. Mochonna of Inis Patrick, venerated on 13 Jan. Proc. Vol. iii, p. 59.
2. Close a Killey, at the old Church, a Fair latterly held on 2 Feb., Candlemas, Laal Moirrey ny gainle. This was evidently a substitution for 7 Feb., the dedication date of S. Ronan of Lismore Mochuda (Co Waterford). It was transferred to Greeba in 1835 on the abolition of that fair, and continued to within recent times. Proc. iii, p. 60.
3. A fair seems formerly to have been held at Keeill Pharick, Ballafreer, on Ascension Day, the religious service being continued for some time after the fair had disappeared. Mr. Kneen thinks it probable that it was originally held near S. Patrick s day. J.J.K., Place Names, p. 166.
1. Chibbyr Roney, Rheynn. 230 yds. S. of the house, by the stream which here forms the boundary with the parish of Braddan. The water was good for the eyes, but a round white pebble must be placed in it before it is drawn (W.W.G.). Canon Quine tells us that this was the traditional Well from which the water for Baptisms was drawn for Marown Church. O.S. X/10
2. Chibbyr Vreeshey, in field below the Keeill. A built Well about 100 yds. from the walls N. and E. O.S. X/14
No Stations recorded or known in this Parish.
In these Lists of Relics the letter M signifies that the objects so marked are in the Manx Museum.
Flakes and worked Flints from Cronk ny Moghiane and Slieau Chiarn. Hammer-stones (2) M.
Cup-marked Stone at Ballavitchal house, on the 400 ft. level. At Eairy ny Sooie, in the base of E. fence in road to the farmhouse is a boulder 5 ft. by 2 ft. 6 in., and 18 in. high, one face having a row of three holes 3-4 in. wide and 1~ in. deep, the central one pierced by a cylindrical hole 8 in. deepW.C.
Milling Stones. Keeill Pharick, Ballalough, and Keeill Lingan.
Querns. Lower stones from Cooil Injil (2), Corvalla (1)
M. Fragment from Ballaquinney Keeill.
Cresset-stones. Ballaquinney Keeill, Ballingan, and S. Trinians, M. A socket.stone found at Ballachrink Keeill.
Cross-slabs. 6, 7, in S. Patricks Chair; 26, 44, 139, in S. Trinians ; 80,81, in the old Parish Church. (17,45 Lost.)
Sundials. The granite pedestal of a dial at the old Church. A horizontal dial of slate, from Crosby, 1815, M; another dial of stone, tarred, having five faces, in front of Ballafreer old house. From Ballafreer, also, comes a handsome obelisk, 8-faced, of black limestone, 1774, M.
Fonts. In the old Church are two interesting Fonts, one of about 12th century, the other earlier.
A Flint Strike-a-light was found in the Altar at Ballaquinney, and a slate Disc, curiously engraved, at S. Trinians, M.
Coins. Several Silver Coins of Edward I, found (Train, ii, 70). M.