[From List of Manx Antiquities, 1930]
1. Urn found at 50 yards from the boundary of the parish with Ballaugh, and ~ m. N.E. of Orrisdale house. O.S. IV/9
2. Cronk y sthowyr, about ½ m. N. of Orrisdale. Urn found. O.S. IV/9
3. Crouk y Clagh vane, about 670 yards N. of Orrisdale house. Possibly remains of a Circle of large white quartz boulders. Worked Flints on the surface. (O.S. IV/9)
4. Cronk Ailey, about 560 yards N.N.W. of Orrisdale house. Three Cists and Urns found are now at Orrisdale. O.S. IV/9
5. Craig bane y bill Willy, 400 yards NW. of Orrisdale. About six stones still remain in position. (O.S. IV/13)
6. A similar circle of large, grey, granite boulders in a small field opposite the last. These stones were sunk in the ground by Mr. Crellin, about 1840. (O.S. IV/13)
7. Cronk Koir. 350 yards W. of Orrisdale. Fragments of Cinerary Urn found. M. O.S. IV/13
8. Urn disclosed by a landslip, 1884, on the brooghs, about 630 yards w. of Orrisdale. This was by the site of Keeill Pharlane. (O.S. IV/13)
9. A Stone Cist was found about 330 yards w. of Kiondroghad, Orrisdale Head. O.S. IV/b3
10. Townley in his Journal (1791), p. 169, describes a level smooth and circular mound at the mouth of Glen Trunk, surrounded by a regular excavation and then by a regular mound. He was reminded of King Arthurs Round Table, near Penrith, only it was larger in circumference and much more elevated. This, possibly, may have referred to the site of Keeill Pharlane. O.S. IV/13
11, 12. Cronk y croghee. J.J.K.gives Cronk y crogliery, i.e., Hill of the Hangman, namely the Bishops gallows, p. 439. Two Tumuli by the highroad from Michael to Ramsey, at the top of the hill, at one time the site of a Wesleyan Chapel ; 300 yards and 387 yards N.W. of the Vicarage. O.S. VII/1
13. Urns have been found also to the N.E. in the same field. O.S. V1I/1
14. Ballacooley. Tumnulus, 50 yards N.W. of house. O.S. VII/2
15. Site of Tumulus opposite the Vicarage. This was opened in 1888; it was 40 ft. diam. by 7 ft. high, and found to contain six Cinerary Urns, from 8 to 12 ins, high. Fragments now in M. Proc. 1. ii, p. 11. Another mound was reported full of crocks some 80 yards N. of this. Proc. 1, ii, p. 166. O.S. VII/1
16. Urns were found about 200 yards N. of Whitehouse. O.S. VII/1
17. Ballakinnag. Urns found about ¼ rn. E.N.E. of Ballalionney. O.S. VII/5
18. Cooilshellagh. Urns found about a furlong N. of Cronk Urleigh. O.S. VII/5
N.B. A conspicuous mound in Glen Wyllin, between the highroad and the railroad, was proved by excavation to be a natural formation. OS. VII1
19. Cairn Vael, of large dimensions. Cist.Train,p. 266. O.S. VI1/6
20. Site of B.G, at Ballagawne gate. O.S. VII/5
21. Urns, found about 300 yards E.S.E. of Ballalionney. O.S. VII/5
22, 23, 24. Tumuli on Cronk Guckley, Berk. Formerly three, now two. From one of these a small Urn was taken in 1929, M. O.S. VII/5
25. Human remains found, about 30 yards N.W. of School. O.S. VII/5
26. Cairn, Ballanea, about 400 yards N.N.W. of Baaregarrow Wesleyan Chapel. O.S. VII/9
27. Urns found about 100 yards E. of Crook ny guiy. O.S. VII/9
28. Tumuli. A group on the Rheast, about ¾ m. sw. of Druidale, and a mile w. of Crammnag. OS. VII/11
29. Urns found 100 yards N.E. of Cronkdhoo, on the S. slope of Sartfell. O.S. VII/14
Tynwald, Cronk Urleigh on the side of the road from Michael to Castletown, a mile S.E of the Parish Church, is a purely natural formation. The site is of interest as having in all probability been an ancient place of Assembly. In Historic times, we have record in our Statute Laws of a Tynwald held here on the coming of the Stanleys, in the 15 c. and probably it had been so used from time close of the 10 C. The name, Mr. Kneen suggests, might be derived from Ir. urliadhe, and would stand for Hill or ridge of slaughter. J J.K., p446 0.S. VII/5
Cooil Darragh. On the s. bank of Glen Wyllin, where the early Pygmy Flints have been found by Mr. Cowley, as well as later Flint implements with Cores and Flakes. Y.L.M. i, p. 262. (O.S. VII/5)
A standing stone on Ballacarnane mooar at the w. side of Glen rnooar and about 100 yards W. of the stream, marks where the out-cropping rock bears five distinct cup-marks. Lower down, looking northward and facing the sea, is a larger hollow in the rock. (O.S. VI/8)
1. Camp on Ballacarnane mooar, 333 yards w.s.w. of the house, now reduced by the plough almost to the level of the field. Outer ring about 70 yds. diamn. O.S. VI/8
2. Ballagawne. Earthwork on the E. side of the highroad to Peel where it descends Glen Mooar, about 300 yards s.w. of Ballagawne gate. Graves found. This is on the Treen of Berk, the name of which Mr. Kneen explains as Borgarvik, creek of the Fort ; but, at p. 435, he says in Glen Wyllin, partly natural and partly artificial. O.S. VI/8
These are described with Plans and Illustrations in the Third Report of the Archaeological Survey, 1911.
1. Keeill Pharlane, S. Bartholomew. Site of Ch. and B.G. 633 yds. W. of Orrisdale on the brooghs and now carried away. Lintel graves found in 1855. A little to the s.w., about halfway down the broogh, an Urn was found in 1884. O.S. IV/13
2. Cooildarragh - Lintel graves with human remains were found in 1894, about 700 yds. above the highroad where it crosses Glen Wyllin. Treen of Balynernade. (O.S. VII/5)
3. Cabbal - Pharic, Ballacamnane mooar. Treen of Ballacrynane. Remains of Ch. and B.G. in plantation above Spooyt vane. At the sw. corner of the Cemetery are the stone foundations of a small Cell, with cooking place. O.S. VII/S Mr. Kneen, p. 442, mentions a name Keeill Hooishagan, unidentified.
4. Crook y Killey, Ballacarnane beg, Treen of Shalgaige. Ruins of Ch. with B.G. Lintel graves found. A stone pillar set up at the w. end by one side of the doorway had a companion pillar at the other side, remembered by the late Mr. Cannell, O.S. VI/12
5. Ballakihley Chieau, Treen of Cammall. Site of Keeill remembered in the Chapel Field, overlooking Glen Kiark. (O.S VII/9)
6. Shughlaig y Quiggin, Treen of Shalghag. Site of B.G about 300 yds N.N.E. of Little London. O.S. VII/13
7. Keeill Vael, Druidale. Ruins of Ch. about 70 yds. w. of stream and the same distance from the E. corner of stone wall. Treen of Aryhorkell. (O.S. VII/7)
1. S. Gregorys Fair is recorded as held 12 March, 1748. Mr. Kneen, Proc. iii, n.s., pp. 62, 63, thinks that probably one of the Keeills in this parish bore this dedication.
2. Hill of Reneurling; but, Mr. Kneen, Proc. iii, n.s. p. 57, gives reasons for thinking this Fair (Aug.) must have been near Keeill Pharlane.
3. In the village, 29 Sept., Laal Michal. This Michaelmas Fair is still held, in the field at the back of the school.
4. The Thread Fair at the Carrick, Kerrowglass, 29 Oct., Laal Michal Beg, Michaels Lesser Feast Day, recorded from 1745 to 1834. J.J.K., p. 77.
Chibbyr Vael, S. Michaels \Vell, a few yards w. of Keeill Vael, Druidale. O.S. VII/7
The Hill for the Day Watch, and Port for the Night Watch, are given as at Borodaill, i.e. Glen Wvllin in C.R.P. 1627. (O.S. VII/1)
Pygmy Flints, Tardenoisean, found by Mr. C. H. Cowley in Glen Wyllin, M. Flint scrapers, javelin-heads, cores, and nodules, M.
Polished-stone Axe, M. 65.
Large axe-hammer, M. 1136, 602. Pounders and hammers, M. 1624.
Bronze Falstaff, M. 799.
Querns, Bishopscourt, complete, M. Upper and Lower stones, fragments.
Cross.slabs. Collected and set-up under the Lychgate at the Parish Church. 12, 94, 101, 102, 110, 116, 117, 123, 126, 129, 130, 132.
Sundials. From Whitehouse of Pooilvaaish marble; the brass gnomon shows the Three Legs. M. 1441
Rush-light holders, two; also, a folding candle-holder of iron. M.
Coins. In digging the foundations for the Old Church in 1834, a number of Silver Coins were found; some Saxon of the period of Ethelred II, some apparently Danish, others from an Irish Mint. In 1836, several coins were dug up at Kirk Michael near the old Tower of Refuge. Mx. Soc. XVII., 38-40.