[From List of Manx Antiquities, 1930]
1. Meir ny Foawr, Giants Fingers. The ruins suggest an original ring of large white quartz boulders, open to the N.W. for a space of 27 ft., and covering an area of about 30 by 35 ft. Within the ring a horseshoe-shaped chamber is represented by three leaning stones which appear to have formed its N. side. A fallen stone in the middle, 7 ft. 6 in. by 6 ft., is known as the altar ny jouyl.J.J.K., p.375. Urns found. O.S. IX/3
2. Liaght ny Foawr, Giants grave. Remains of Passage Grave, Kew. O.S. IX/7
3. Cist exposed in remains of Tumulus by the side of the road, about 50 yds. N. of Tynwald HillMx. Soc., v. 198. O.S. IX/11
4. A mound which looks like a Tumulus about 240 yds. N.W. of Skerestal beg house and 333 yds. s.w. of Skerestal mooar; at the junction of four fields, on the level of 509.3. (O.S. VI/12)
5. Cairn, Corvalla, about 120 ft. diam. On the S. side of Glen Cam, about 233 yds. E. of Ballakaighen house. This appears to contain a Cist or Chamber with large white quartz covering cap. O.S. VI/12
6. Cronk y Toshee, 370 yds. S.W. of Keeill Pharick a dromma on Starvey road. (O.S. V 1/16)
7. Tumulus, Knocksharry. About 110 yds. NW. of smithy. Worked Flints found. A grave in this mound was built of shore boulders. C.H.C. Levelled about 1887. O.S. VI/15
8. Mr. Cowley tells me of a Cist near the brooghs at Ballagyr. It was on this farm that the finest Polished-stone Axe-head met with in the Isle of Man, was found when ploughing in 1880. M. 64. O.S. IX/3
9. Cairn, Crosh mooar. About 333 yds. E. of Lhergycolvin. Many burials found when destroyed by owner some years ago. O.S. IX/3
10. The Cronk. About 230 yds. S.E. of last. O.S. IX/3
11. Remains of Cairn, about 500 yds. S.E. of Lhergydhoo, and 270 yds S.W. of last. O.S. IX/3
12. Remains of Cairn about 340 yds. S.E. of the Stone Circle and nearly ½m. S.E. of Lhergydhoo house. O.S. IX/3
13, 14. Remains of Cairns (2) about ½ m. s.w. of Lhergydhoo. Now gone. O.S. IX/3
15. Flints and fragments of Urn found at Glebe lane, near Cronk Keeillane. Proc. i, p. 232. O.S. IX/7
16. Tumulus in field about 300 yds. N. of Ballaleece house. Known as the Hump, 15 yds. diam. and 8ft. high. O.S. IX/11
17, 18, 19, 20. A group of four Cairns, about 1000 yds. N. of Greeba Mills. An Urn was found in one of them; they are now all levelled and ploughed over. O.S. IX/12
21. Tynwald Hill, Cronk Keeilleoin, S. Johns. Celebrated as the Hill from which Laws and Ordinances have been proclaimed since the days of Scandinavian rule. Probably an early Place of Assembly with the mound itself as a bill of inauguration in Celtic times. Whether it marked an original Burial in times yet more remote can only be determined by excavation. O.S. IX/li
22, 23, 24. On the plateau about 100 yds. E. of Tynwald, Mr. Matthews opened a small Cist in which were found a battle-axe, stirrup and beads now in Jermyn Street Museum. In the same locality other Cists have been opened, containing chiefly Cinerary Urns.Oswald, Mx. Soc., v, p. 198. Three Tumuli, now gone, are referred to in Y.L.M. iii, pp. 372,3. O.S. IX/11
25. Graves have been found at Ballacraine in a gravel mound, 33 yds. diam., S. of the highroad, opposite the house, about ½ mile E. of S. Johns Church. Urns found. Mr. Cubbon has heard the name Grave of Mannaghan beg applied to this mound. Mr. Kneen tells us that the old name was Bailey ny hoaie, i.e., Farm of the graves. O.S. IX/12
26. Cairn about ½ mile S.E. of Kenaa. A ring about 18 yds. N. and S., by 15 E. and W., 5 ft. high, faced outside with large quartz boulders, and having walls of rubble 12 ft. thick and 5 ft. high. In the centre a Cist, 5 ft. by 3 ft., with covering slab of slate. O.S. IX/16
27. Cairn about ¼ mile s.s.w. of last, and 573 yds. E. of Balnygeay. Now levelled. Is this the Cairn ny Wheel? OS. lX/16
28. Tumulus about 100 yds. s.S.w. of last and 500 yds. E. of Balnygeay. O.S. IX/16
29. Ring, 33yds. diam., containing Cist now levelled, ploughed over and enclosed. About 84 yds. S. of Cornelly Old Mine. O.S. IX/16
30. Tumulus about 633 yds. S. of Rhenny. OS. X/13
31. Cairn 583 yds. E. of Cornelly Old Mine. OS. IX/16
32. Cronk yn Yeul, ¼ m. N. of Archallaghan. Tumulus named in Marown Parish Register as a landmark on the boundary between German and Marown Parishes. O.S. X/13
At Ballakaighen there may have been a Settlement. In draining a field S. of the Railway cutting, at a point 450 yds. w of the house and 500 yds. sw. of Glen Cam, a Canoe was found with piles and balks of timber and a quantity of Flint flakes. Y.L.M. i. 36-38. Also fragments of pottery (1903). ii. 78. 79. O.S. VI/12
Hut foundations were found on the N. side of the old road from Dowse to Ballig, above Cooilslieau. O.S. X/5
Mr. C. H. Cowley thinks there was a settlement also at Ballaellison, where he has found Flint implements. O.S. VII/13
1. Fort, Buggane mooar, the old name of which was Cashtal y vuggane mooarJ.J.K. p. 385. On the coast, about 570 yds. N.W. of Ballanayre. O.S. VI/15
2. Managhans Chair. The O.S. marks this as Manannans Chair, but the local pronunciation and the name of Bayr ny Maynaghyn, i.e. Monks road, which passes on the SE., indicate the true derivation J.J.K., p. 402. On the boundary of the Abbey lands, a part of the Vaaish called Aittnagh. About 333 yds. E. of Bwoalliecowle house, and ½ mile S.W. of Cronk y voddee Chapel. Remains of a Fort, the outer ring of which appears to have been about 50 yds. diam. Only about 15 yds. are now left standing. Flint implements have been found around it. M. O.S. VI/16
3. The Court. Remains of a Fort at the head of a slight hollow, about 200 yds. S. of the two Cairns on Lhergydhoo (13, 14) A circular mound, 53 yds. chain., is enclosed by a rectangular earthen bank 90 yds. by 60 yds. Many stones were removed from the mound some years agoC.H.C. O.S. IX/3
4. Congary Brooghs. Mr. Cowley mentions also the site of an Encampment here which he thinks may have been that of the Norsemen before the Battle of Santwat. Stone axes and Arrow-heads have been fourd here. O.S.. IX/6
5. Ring Fort, Purt y Canlas, Ballacraine. Two rings, the outer one 100 yds. diam. Now hardly traceable owing to cultivation. 170 yds. s. of corner of highroad to Peel, where it crosses the road to Castletown. O.S. IX/6
These are described, with Plans and illustrations, in the second Report of the Arch. Survey 1910.
1. Keeill Pharick a droma, Corvalley, Treen of Santedale; by the side of the old Staarvey road, about ¼ m. s.w. of Stockfleld. Lintel Graves. O.S. VI 16
2. Site of Keeill, Cronk bane, Treen of Scaresdale. ¼ m. N.E. of Cronk y voddee Parsonage, on the N. side of the highroad, in a field still known as Magher y Keeillagh. Foundations removed in 1880. O.S. V11/13
3. Site of Ch. and B.G. Knocksharry, Abbey lands. About 133yds. w.s w. of smithy. Lintel Graves. Cross-slab, 14. O.S. VI/15
4. Foundations of Ch., Ballahimmir, Treen of Lambfell; -½ m. s.w. of Little London. This is on a hillock which rises abruptly from 6 to 8ft. above the surface of the field and is from 30 to 50 ft. diam. Excavation showed that it had been set on the site of a Bronze age burial. O.S. VII/13
5. Foundations of Ch , Eairy mooar, Treen of Airyrody; 160 yds. N.N.E. of the house and 130 yds. S. of the Rhenass river. O.S. X/l
6. Site of Ch. and B.G., Treen of Balydoigan. Lintel graves found here show the site to have been 50 yds. s.E. of that marked on the O.S., and 250 yds. N.E. of Beary farmstead. O.S. IX/8
7. Keeill Moirrey. Cronk Keeillane, Ballalough, Particles, Mr. Kneen thinks that the site of the original Keeill Woirrey (which would have been on the farm of that name) having been lost, its name was attached to this, which had previously been known as Hill Church of John. The mound, a natural formation, rises on the S. side of the highroad to Peel at a point 270 yds. W.N.W. of Poortown Railway Station. Many lintel graves have been found and excavations in 1925 revealed the foundations and showed that the Altar slab had been moved out of position and an early Cross-slab, 148, had been set against the N. side of the Altar. This is probably the Cross that is recorded as having been buried for buitcheragh and the murrain of cattle, when for a time it had been used as a lintel to the cow-shed. OS. IX/7
8. Lintel graves, Ballahowin, Treen of Balydoyne. At the N. end of the plateau on which stands Tynwald Hill, at about 183 yds. w.S.w. of the hill. Graves also have been found all along the northern side of the path leading from the Church of S. Johns to the Hill, and, around to the N. of the Church. (O.S. IX/ll)
9. Site of Ch., Ballahowin, Treen of Balydoyne; Croit ny Keeillagh, about 250 yds. S.E. of S. Johns Church. O.S. IX./12
10. Ruins of Ch. and B.G., Cronkbreck, Alia Gneba. About ¼ mile w. of Greeba Mill. The site of a Cross, handed down by tradition, is marked on the O.S. at a point 130 yds. W.N.W. of the Keeill, by the side of the farm road. O.S. IX/12
11. Site of Ch. and B.G., Treen of Gneba, 67 yds. S.W. of Greeba Mills. This is 37 yds. S. of the position given in the O.S., but is proved by the lintel graves met with. An early Cross-slab, 38, was found, and a curiously pierced slab which may have served as a window in the Keeill. O.S. IX/12
12. Site of Ch. and B.G., Kerroogarrow, Treen of Alia Gneba, 170 yds. N.E. of house. Lintel graves. O.S. IX/12
Cathedral, S. Patricks Church with Round Tower and other buildings (see under PATRICK,) O.S. IX/12
1. Ballakillwoirrey. Mr. Kneen thinks it probable that a Court holden at Tynwald about the Feast of S. Mary in 1429, implies a Fair held here. Proc. iii, p. 58.
2. A Beltane Fair was held at S. Johns, 24 June, 0.5. Proc. in, p. 58.
3. A Midsummer Fair, 13 July, i.e. Laal Carmane, at S. Johns in 1577. Later, at Peel Cross (the Market Place) Feltham. This fair has only recently ceased to exist. Proc. iii, p. 58.
4 November Fair. At Peel, 1 Nov.(Feltham), afterwards transferred to S. Johns where it was held in 1808. Proc. iii, p. 48.
1. Wart Well, Chibbyr ny fainaghyn, 200 yds. W.S.W. of Stockfield house. O.S. VI/16
2. Chibbyr Pharick, Peel town.
Day Watch on Knockaloe; Night Watch, Peel town. C.R.P.
Flint flake from above Woods strand. (G.W.L) M. Flake from Ballakilwoirrey and implements from Managhans Chair, including two Leaf-shaped arrows and an axe. M. 946. Polished-stone axes. A very fine example from Ballagyr. M.64. This may be the ponderous stone axe referred to by Oswald and in Rep. Arch. Com.,1878, as 9 ins. long and 4ins. broad, of Sienite, dug up in German. Other axe heads in the Museum from this Parish are from Mr. Cowley, 1131, 1120, 1130, 1137, 584. Mr. Cowley has also in his private collection at Peel nearly 6000 specimens, including arrow-heads, adzes, axe-heads, borers, bevellers, chisels, choppers, fabricators, fleshers, javelins, knives, scrapers, spear-heads, hammers, pounders and polishing-stones, together with pygmy flints. The late W.Cashen had a small holed stone, probably the head of a Staff, found in clay at the mouth of Peel harbour, 1896.
A Bronze Axe head, Type IV, M, 802. Blade of a dirk or rapier, M, 809.
A bog-oak Canoe, from Ballakaighen, 14 ft. by 2 ft. 7 ins. by 14 ins. M.
A Battle-axe, stirrup and beads from Tumulus near Tynwald, are recorded as in Jermyn Street Museum. Mx. Soc.,v, 198 and xv, 103.
Two iron cannons from Peel, M. Two others in the Castle and five on the Quay, Peel; the latter were sent by the Admiralty in return for the originals which had been taken by them.
Querns. Upper stones, 6; Lower stone, 1. M.
Cruisies or Cressets from Peel (3) M. Rush-light holders (4) M.
A supposed Font at Cronkbreck may be the base of a 13th or 14th century Cross from the site Marked on O.S IX.
Cross-slabs. Besides those mentioned above, p. 10, 14, 38, in Peel Castle; 107 in the porch of S. Johns Church; 148, M.
A limestone Mortar, from Peel town, 6 in. high by 9 in diam. M.
Coins. Gold Half Noble, Edward III, found in Peel harbour by Rev.W.Kermode in 1840, M. Oswald, Vestigia, Mx. Soc., p. 173, mentions a coin from a Cairn, and another from a stone grave on Ballakilwoirrey, 1840.