[From The Manx Quarterly, #24]
Died September 14th, 1920
A most successful promoter of public entertainments has passed away in the person of Mr Frederick John Buxton, who died at his residence, 17 Hilary Park, Douglas, after a long period of illness, at the early age of 52. Mr Buxton was born near Nottingham, and was a son of Mr Harry Buxton, who began life in the lace trade, but subsequently became an entertainer, as did several members of his family. Mr Fred. Buxton, as a youth, joined a minstrel troupe performing at Rhyl and after appearing at open-air concerto in the summer, and in pantomime in the winter, for three years, he came to Douglas over twenty years ago as lessee of the old bandstand on the Harris Promenade. He speedily built up a reputation among residents and visitors as a purveyor of bright, clever, clean entertainments, and some years later he acquired a site in the centre of the Front, at the disposal of the Noble Trustees, and, besides laying the place out with ornamental kiosks and other structures as a place of entertainment and refreshment, constructed the handsome pavilion which is now known as the Crescent Picture House. At about the same period he took over the "Albert Hotel" site on the South Promenade, Ramsey, and converted it into an amusement resort entitled "The Cosy Corner". During the war, when the visiting season was in a state of suspended animation, the pavilion already referred to was let to the Manx Industries Association as a knitting-factory, and at the beginning of this year it was taken over by the Palace and Derby Castle Co., Ltd., while Mr R. D.Brailli purchased the remainder of the site. in a smaller pavilion, known as "Bohemia," a party of Feldmans Songsters have been performing during the past summer, and the site has also been occupied by various novelty stalls. For a couple of summers during the war, Mr Buxton conducted Villa Marina as lessee from the Corporation, and on the very day of the Armistice, it is stated, he purchased the Grand Theatre, and subsequently had it thoroughly renovated. In 1919, also, he carried on the Open-air Baths at Port Erin. Mr Buxtons health broke down some time ago, and he sold out both from the Grand Theatre of which, also, the Palace and Derby Castle Co. are the present proprietors and from the Central Promenade property. The only undertaking carried on in his name this year has been the amusement resort at Ramsey.
Mr Buxtons ventures were not confined in Douglas ; most of his winters were not spent in the island at all. He built the Hippodrome at Featherstone, Yorkshire, and was also interested in picture halls in and near Heanor, Derbyshire, and at Kirkham, near Preston. He also toured England with pantomimes, of which the best-known were "Cinderella" and "The House that Jack Built." He was also in the concert business.
Mr Buxton was a tenor vocalist of much merit, and the announcement that he himself would sing at any of his entertainments was an infallible guarantee of success for the entertainment thus signalised. He composed two songs, " Come back to Mona", and "Mona, I am coming back," both of which have been frequently heard on his lips and on those of his daughter, Miss Mildred Buxton, who inherits much of her fathers talent. These songs had considerable popularity all over the kingdom.
Mr Buxtons business transactions brought him into contact with large numbers of Manx people, and his professional achievements have, of course, made him a familiar figure to hundreds of thousands of visitors to the Island. He was well liked and respected by all who knew him, and the general feeling is that in him a valuable member of the community has been lost. He was a prominent Mason, and was a Past Master of the Athole Lodge, and a Past Junior Warden of the Provincial Grand Lodge. He leaves a widow, one daughterthe Miss Mildred Buxton already alluded toand three sons, all under age.
The funeral took place on Sep. 17 at the Borough Cemetery, Douglas.
Died September 2nd, 1920.
Mr Thos. Crellin, head of the firm of Messrs T Crellin and Sons, grocers, etc., Harrington and Lowca, at the age of 68 years, passed away a, his residence, Sea View, Lowca, Whitehaven, on the 2nd September, 1920, after a somewhat lengthy and painful illness. He was a past president of the Workington Grocers' Association, and it was largely owing to hi initiative that the successful Buyers' Union was formed in connection wish the same Association. He was also for many years a most useful member of the Whitehaven Board of Guardians, and was a bosom friend of their late Chairman, Rev A. F. Curwen, Rector at Harrington. Many a poor person has had reason to revere his memory. For a good number of years, also, he wad a prominent member of the Harrington Urban District Council. His greatest public work, however, was in connection with the Primitive Methodist Society. He was a popular preacher in the Workington Circuit for over 30 yeas, and it is understood that it was largely through his efforts that the present neat little church was erected at Lowca, and he latterly devoted most of his spare time to the good work carried on in that quarter. In fact, everything promoted in the best interests of the village had his heartiest support. He was by popular choice selected to unveil the war memorial there about four months ago, and in the press report of those proceedings, the ceremony was referred to as being the most solemn and impressive ever witnessed in the village. He was also a member of the Rechabite Friendly Society, and a Freemason. He was born at Peel, Isle of Man, and resided at Dalton-in Furness 35 to 47 years ago, in which town he was a most acceptable lay preacher in connection with the congregational body, and was one of the leading officials for many Years in the Mechanics' Friendly Society.
The remains were laid to rest in Moresby Churchyard on Monday, 6th, and the funeral was one of the largest ever witnessed in the district. Expressions of regret at the loss of a very real friend were heard on every hand, and no one ever better deserved the eulogiums which passed. The principal mourners were:-The widow and Mr D. J. Crellin ('brother), Messrs John Hoary, William, Alfred, Arthur and Tom Crellin (sons), Mrs J. Aitchison and Miss Mona Ordin (daughters), Misses A. and S. and Master F. Crellin (grand-children), Messrs A. R. Hill and J. Aitchison (sons-in-law). Mrs J. H , Mrs Allred, and Mrs Arthur Crellin (daughters-in-law), Messrs D. Thomas and G. Crellin (nephews), Mr J. Thomas (Millom), Mr A. Noel (Southport). The bearers ware Messrs A. and H. Bird, J. Hoodless and R. Timmins. Others present included Mr T. Cape, M.P., O.B.E.. Mr F. T. Hopkins (Parliamentary candidate, Bournemouth), Mr C. Dodds, J.P., Messrs C. W. Eaglesfield, Fielding, A. Holmes, W. B. Anderson, W. T. Metcalf, N. Dobson, R. Quayl , T. Quayle, Irving Graham. Lindsay, Smart, J. Broadbent, H. Rathery, J. Cowin, R. D. McCowan, J. Clark, Green, T. Dodds, Mr and Mrs G. Millar, Mr and Mrs Corris, and others. Many beautiful wreaths were sent by relatives and friends, and by public and religious bodies.
Died October, 1920
'The following extract from " The Inyo Register," of Thursday, October 14th, 1920, a journal published at Bishop, Inyo County, California, is sent to us:-
Daniel C. Cormode died sib his home, south-east of Bishop, Monday night, of typhoid fever. He was a native of the Isle of Man, aged 36 years, 7 months, 28 days.
He came here from the Isle of Man about seventeen. years ago. He bought from W. H. Mitchell an 80-acre tract in Warm Springs district, making it his home thenceforth. He was married to Miss Maud Lambert. Three children were born to them; a little daughter died two years ago. A son aged twelve, and daughter of two years or less, are left with their mother, by his untimely death.
A half-brother, W. V. Kelly, who arrived from Oceanside yesterday, is his only near relative on the coast.
Mr Cormode was a man of good information, but took little part in matters outside of his district interests. He was a progressive dairyman, and his herd of carefully selected Ayrshire cattle is said to be probably the equal in quality of any such herd in the country. He built up a good property by diligence and industry. We have lost a worthy exemplary
The late Mr Cormode was a grandson of the hate Mr "Dan" Cormode, H.K., of Leodest, Andreas, who in his dray was a prominent agriculturist and a local preacher of wide reputation. His mother, Mrs Kelly, lives at Curragh-beg, Bride.
Died October 24th, 1920.
The Rev. J. Robinson Gregory, retired Wesleyan minister, who died in London on October 24th, was a man whose personality is vividly stamped on the memory of Methodists in Douglas and the Isle of Man. He laboured in the Douglas circuit in the three years following September, 1883, and he again came to reside do the town in September of last year, when he had been for almost thirty years a supernumerary, and while his son, the Rev. G. Osborn Gregory, was a minister in the circuit. The news of Mr Gregory's coming arrival created the greatest interest among the generation who remembered him in the days of his vigorous prime, as the news of his son's appointment -to the circuit in the previous year had roused a great interest among those who knew the father. Mr Robinson Gregory had been a minister in Douglas in the days when Thomas-street and well-road were the only two "causes" in the town, and in the days when the Rev. W. T. Radcliffe, a Manxman who had attained an influential position in the Methodist ministry, was a superintendent in his native Island; he had organised and regularly conducted a weekly Bible Class which is still among the traditions of local Methodism, and he had taken an active part in the securing of that charter of Nonconformist rights, the Act of Tynwald which gave Free Church people in the Island the opportunity of being married, or the opportunity of having their dead committed to the dust, by ministers of their own churches; and such old associates of his as were remaining, on the Island when he returned, were delighted to find that his preaching retained its old vigour and its old abundance of literary and scientific knowledge, that he was ready and anxious to preach and to teach whenever his health allowed him, and that there were some of them, at all events, whose ;names and whose faces he still remembered. before he had been many months in the Island, it was evident that his strength was failing, and it was finally thought best to have him near other members of the family in England; and the news of his death, though it will not occasion surprise, will awaken general regret.
Mr Gregory was of the fourth generation of Methodist preachers, his father being the Rev. Benjamin Gregory, who was President of Conference in 1879, and was for twenty-five years connexional editor. His younger brother, the Rev. Arthur E. Gregory; was for many years principal of the National Children's Home and Orphanage. The preaching tradition has been continued, for the rev. gentleman's four sons are also Methodist ministers-two are in the Methodist Episcopal Church of America; one, the Rev. Benjamin Gregory, is editor of " The Methodist Times" ; and the other, as already stated, is now a circuit minister in Douglas. Mr Robinson Gregory himself achieved a considerable measure of distinction as a theological writer, his chief works being "The Theological Student," of which over 30,000 copies were sold; "A Student's History of Methodism" ; "The Coming of the King"; "Illustration of Fulfilled Prophecy"; and "An Examination of the Doctrine of Conditional Immortality: Scripture Truths made Simple." He was also a prolific writer and reviewer to the chief Nonconformist periodicals. While in the Isle of Man, he interested himself considerably in public questions as viewed from the Nonconformisb standpoint, and he frequently contributed to the columns this journal.
Mr Gregory entered the ministry in 1865. During his itinerary, he was stationed in the following circuits Croydon, Seven Oaks, Bromley, Leigh (Essex), London (Hackney), Hertford, Howden, Bideford, Tavistock, Bristol (King-street) Douglas, Devonport, and New Barnet. from 1892, when he be-came a supernumary, he spent one year at Clapton, two at Great Bentley, seven at Highgate, three at Manchester (Pendleton), and a period at Manchester (Mission). He was- m his seventy-sixth year. The funeral took place on October 27th, at New Barnet, where the deceased gentleman's wife is buried.
Died October 25th, 1920.
Very general regret is felt in the village of Laxey, and in a much wider area, because of the decease of Capt. Thomas Garland. Less than two years ago his wife died as the result of an accident. She was returning from the house of her sister, Mrs John Davies, at Rencell, at night, and she stepped over the edge of an unprotected road and fell down a brow. Captain Garland was in his usual health on the Sunday. It was not until Monday morning that untoward symptoms manifested themselves. He was dressing at about seven o'clock, and his daughter heard him cough a great deal. She went up to his room, when he told her he felt bad, and said he was afraid the end was coming, and he asked her to got somebody in, and send for a doctor. Death took place, however, in about half-an-hour. A letter was received from Capt. Garland at the "Examiner" Office on Monday morning, and he was dead when it reached the office. The funeral took place on Wednesday.
Capt. Garland was born near Aberystwyth, Wales, in 1816. At that place he succeeded his father as manager of East Warren Lead Mine, which position he held for a considerable time. He came to the Isle of Man in 1900, as manager of Snaefell Lead Mine, and continued in charge until the mine ceased working. Soon after that he was appointed local secretary, to Great Laxey Mines, which post he held at the time of his dearth.
The deceased gentleman was a Village Commissioner for thirteen years, once or twice being chairman. At the time of his death he was Vicar's Warden at Laxey Parish Church, and he was a regular worshipper in the church. One of the most kindly and upright of man, he enjoyed the affectionate respect of all who knew him.
Died August 13th, 1920.
Large numbers of people in Douglas and throughout the Island generally regretfully learned of the death of the Rev. Francis Carr, assistant priest at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Douglas, which occurred on August 13th, at Castletown, where the rev. father had been staying for some months in the hope of regaining his health. He became ill at about Christmas, 1919, but the final seizure only took place on Aug. 12th, and the sufferer passed away the following day. Father Carr was 45 years of age, and was a native of Exton, near Preston. He was educated for the priesthood at St. Cuthbert's, Ushaw, Durham, and was ordained in Aug., 1902, and came to assist Dean Crookall at Douglas, in November of the same year. For a considerable time he had a special oversight of the congregation at Castletown, and he often journeyed on a similar mission to Peel, and to those who are in the habit of using the railway frequently his face will be very familiar. Father Carr was a most conscientious and kindly priest, and possessed the respect and affection of all to whom he ministered, while those of other communions who had his acquaintance always found him a courteous gentleman, and, when the barrier of reserve was broken down for he was of an exceedingly retiring nature, slow to make the advances a most agreeable and widely read and well-informed conversationalist. The funeral took place on Aug. 16th, when a solemn requiem mass was held in St. Mary's, the celebrant being Dean Crookall, who was assisted in the capacity of deacon by Father Walmsley, of Ramsey, and of sub-deacon by Father McSweeney, of Hunslet, Yorkshire. There were also present Fathers Bell, of the Leeds diocese; Stewart, of the archdiocese of Glasgow; Parkes (Huyton, Liverpool), Nolan, C. M. (Phibsborough, Dublin), and Rogerson (Douglas). After the requiem mass, Father Parkes ascended the pulpit, and delivered an eloquent panegyric on the deceased father's character and labours, and after the last rites in the church had been fulfilled, the body was taken to the Borough Cemetery, where the committal was performed by Dean Crookall.