[From Manx Quarterly, #21, 1920]


Joseph Kaye

Died August 6th, 1919.

Mr Joseph Kaye, J.P., of Highfield, Selborne-road, Douglas, died at his residence on Aug. 5th, after having been in ill-health for a considerable time. Than Mr Kaye there was not a more, dignified citizen of Douglas, his native town; nor was there one more generally respected. He was born 82 years ago, and throughout his long career he was identified with the welfare of the chief Manx town. He was educated in Douglas, and all is business life was passed in Douglas. In his young manhood he carried on the foremost hairdressing establishment in the town at promises in Duke-street, now occupied by Mr R. C. Cain, draper; but in the late 'sixties of the last century he abandoned the tonsorial business on succeeding to the control of an extensive factory for the manufacture of candles in Lord-street, established by this father. In connection with the factory the wholesale and retail sale of illuminating candles was carried on. This establishment he conducted with very great profit and success for about thirty years, but he eventually retired from the concern in order to devote his energies to the Douglas Gas Light Company, of which he was a director. He joined the board of this, perhaps the oldest business combination in the Isle of Man, some forty years ago, and was appointed chairman about ten years later. In his capacity of chairman, he presided at the Company's half-yearly meetings up to the failure of his health, soon after the outbreak of war, and even after physical :incapacity prevented him attending meetings of the Company, he retained his deep interest in the concerns operations, and his advice, made valuable by reason of his long experience, was constantly sought by his fellow directors and the management. He was also chairman of the Manx Steam Trading Company in the days of its prosperity. He was associated with the marvellous development of Douglas during the latter half of the nineteenth century and the opening years of the century that succeeded, and ever took a deep interest in municipal affairs. In the year 1894, he was elected a member of the Douglas Town Council, and later was appointed an Alderman of the borough. In November, 1904, he was selected by the Council as Mayor, an office which the filled with the greatest credit and the utmost dignity. Shortly after serving as Mayor, his term as a member of the Council expired, and he did not seek re-election. In 1911 he was appointed to the Commission of the Peace for the Isle of Man, and rendered good service as a just and considerate magistrate. Mr Kaye was a lifelong member of the Wesleyan Methodist body, and was in his latter years, while good health attended him, a constant attendant at Rosemount Church. In politics he was conservative of sympathy, yet his views had a progressive leaven. He married a daughter of the late Mr James Kelly, builder, of Stanley-terrace, and Mrs Kaye survives him. There were several children of the marriage, of whom three sons survive — Mr Sidney Kaye, Mr Joseph E. Kaye (ironmonger), and Mr William A. Kaye. The funeral took place on Thursday, Aug. 7th, and was largely attended.



Died September 23rd, 1919.

Mr James S. Gell, High-Bailiff of Castletown and Douglas, died at his residence-Westwood, The Crofts, Castletown — on Tuesday night. He had been in failing health for several months, and was confined to the house since the 3rd May last. During this period Mr Gell was medically attended by Dr. Caird of Douglas.

Mr James Stowell Gell was born in Castletown 64 years ago. His father, the late Sir James Gell, C.V.O., Clerk of the Rolls, had four sons, of whom Mr J. S. Gell was the second. Of the four sons, two, the late Mr John Gell and the late Mr Hugh Gell, pre-deceased their father, while of the two remaining the Rev Canon William Gell, Vicar of Holme, near Burnley, is now the only survivor. The late Sir Jas. Gell had two daughters, of whom one survives. Mr J. S. Gell was educated at King William's College, and on completing his school course he entered as a student-at-law with the object of being admitted to the Manx Bar. He was articled to his father, who was then H.M. Attorney General for the Isle of Man, and on qualifying he was admitted in 1878.

He at once entered into partnership with his father, the firm which was own as Gell and Gell having a very extensive family and court practice. He remained in association with his father as a practising advocate until 1897, when Sir James Gell was appointed First Deemster. Mr James Gell continued the practice of the firm under its original style until his death. He was a sound lawyer, a most capable advocate, and in course of his career he appeared with distinction as counsel in most of the important cases that came before the High Court. During as illness from which his father suffered in the early 'nineties, he acted as Attorney-General, and in such capacity it fell to him to lead for the Crown in the prosecution of George James Barker Cooper, a Manchester man, on a charge of having murdered his wife in the Regent (now the Alexandra) Hotel, Douglas. His junior on the occasion was the late Mr James Murray Cruickshank, High - Bailiff of Ramsey. In presenting the case for the Crown, both counsel acquitted themselves with great ability and the utmost fairness, and eventually they secured a conviction on the alternative charge of manslaughter. Cooper, who was sentenced to ten years' penal servitude, was defended with great skill by Mr George A. Ring, the present Attorney-General, and the late Mr Thomas Kneen, who eventually became Clerk of the Rolls. On May 5th, 1892, Mr J. S. Gell was appointed High-Bailiff of Castletown in succession to the late Mr John Moore Jeffcott, and on August 8th, 1905, he, on the resignation of the late Mr Samuel Harris, was appointed High-Bailiff of Douglas. He continued to hold the dual office until his death, and in the course of his service he discharged his magisterial duties with great acceptance and with conspicuous fairness. He was ever particularly careful to secure that parties un-represented by counsel had every opportunity of putting their cases before the court fully, and to this end he was liberal of advice and suggestions. Poor folk, especially, found in him a friend, and though he never allowed his desire that they should not suffer by reason of their poverty or their neglect to retain the services of an advocate to sway his judgment, he strove to do them complete justice. His decisions were generally well-thought-out, and were delivered with great clarity. Few of them were appealed against successfully. As High-Bailiff he was ex-officio chairman of the Licensing Courts for the districts of Douglas and Castletown, and in this capacity, too, be discharged his duties with an impartiality that was never questioned. During the interval which elapsed between the death of Mr Thomas Kneen, Clerk of the Rolls, and the appointment of Sir W. Kyffin Taylor as special judge of Appeal in the Isle of Man, Mr Gell acted as a member of the Court of Staff of Government, and as such he sat during the hearing of a few cases of appeal from decisions of the Common Law Division of the High Court. Though as chief magistrate of Douglas, Mr Gell served the chief town of the Island admirably, his native town — Castletown — had the foremost place in his heart. The one-time metropolis was regarded by him with singular affection. With him Castletonians were the very salt of the earth, and he never regarded anything he was called upon to do for the advancement of the town and its people as in the nature of trouble; rather did he look upon it as a high privilege. It is not too much to say that he knew every man and woman resident in Castletown intimately, and that he was personally held in the very highest esteem and affection by his fellow townsfolk. From the time that he was a young man, he took a leading part in Castletown public affairs, and his efforts to promote the weal of the citizens were ever made discreetly yet earnestly. Charitable not only in thought, but in deed, he always strove to advance the welfare of the poorer section of the Castletown community. His turn of mind was somewhat conservative, and he infinitely preferred the old method of voluntary poor relief to the modern compulsory system; but his conservatism in this, as in other things, was tempered by a desire to make the best of the conditions imposed by present-day life, so that while he strove might and main to maintain the voluntary system, once he found that it did not suffice to cope with the requirements attendant upon a changed situation, he quickly adapted himself to the altered position, and did his level best, and did it successfully, to put the compulsory system into operation. Nevertheless he still continued to practise private charity unostentatiously, and many a man and woman in Castletown and elsewhere will miss his kindly help and his freely-given and valuable counsel. He was, too, broad-minded. Though his convictions were strong, he recognised that other people might honestly hold convictions equally strong, and he never failed to advocate the right of one person to differ from another, even when the difference was with himself. Especially did this apply with him in the matter of religion. An ardent and convinced son of the Manx Church, he championed liberty of conscience for all, and was as vigorous in championship of the conscience of others as in that of his own. In 1887, Mr Gell married Miss Bainton, of Beverley, near Hull. Their life of great happiness was marred by the death, some two years ago, of the only child of the marriage — Lieutenant James Bainton Stowell Gell. Lieut. Gell was chiefly educated at Shrewsbury School, whence he transferred to Oxford University. As might be expected of the son of such parents, he joined the King's forces as soon as he was of military age, and having received a training in the University O.T.C., he was almost immediately granted a commission in the Royal Field Artillery, the great war being at its height at the time. He was drafted overseas on August 14th, 1918, and on October 9th of the same year he died upon the field of honour, being killed in action at the age of nineteen. Needless to say, his death came as a great blow to his father and mother. The former bore up bravely. Like the patriotic Briton he was, he recognised that his son could not have died better than in fighting for the honour and liberty of his country. But the High-Bailiff felt the loss of the boy keenly, and was never the same man again. It was probably the great sorrow he thus experienced that hastened his end. Early this year it was very evident that he was failing. His throat began to trouble him, and simultaneously he weakened of limb and constitution. But his strong will and indomitable courage sustained him. He stuck to the post of duty and continued to discharge the calls of his office up to about four months ago, when nature would no longer be denied. He was forced to lie up, and soon afterwards he underwent an operation which was for the time successful, and which afforded him considerable relief. But the rally was temporary of character, and some six or eight weeks ago indications pointed to approaching dissolution.

To the end he faced the great enemy firmly and intrepidly, but notwithstanding the best medical and nursing attention, he gradually sank and eventually he succumbed as stated on Tuesday night at half-past eleven.


Amid manifestations of profound regret, the late Mr James Stowell Gell, High-Bailiff of Douglas and Castletown, was laid to rest in Malew Churchyard on Friday September 26th. The great esteem in which Mr Gell was held was evident from the large attendance of all classes of the community — rich and poor, gentle and simple were present in great numbers to par the last tribute of respect to a gentleman whose upright life, great abilities and kindly disposition had rendered him loved throughout the Isle of Man. In Castletown all places of business were closed during the progress of the funeral, and blinds were drawn down in practically every house. Among the huge concourse who attended were : — Mr B. E. Sargeaunt, O.B.E. (representing his Excellency the Lieut.-Governor), Col. Madoc, C.B.E. (Chief Constable), Sir Hall Caine, Messrs M. Carine, H.K., J. T:. Goldie-Taubman, H.K., J. Qualtrough, H.K., J. Boyd, E. Martin, J. Clague, G. C. Karran, J. R. Connal, IT. Mellor, E. B. Gawne, Surgeon-General H. W. Stevenson, all Justices of the Peace; the Vicar-General, the High-Bailiff of Peel and Ramsey; Messrs R. B. Moore, R. D. Farrant, IT. Percy Kelly, H. R. Gelling, R. D. Gelling, W. Lay, J. Hodgson, L. S. Kneale, id. McWhannell, members of the Bar; Messrs E. G. Wrigley (Chairman), A. F. Christian. R. Qualtrough, J. W. Cannell, and D. I.. Cooper, members of the Castletown Town Commissioners, with their clerk, Mr C. Watterson; the Mayor of Douglas (Alderman J. Kelly), the Town Clerk (Mr A Robertson), Aldermen Corlett, Flinn, and Faragher, and Councillor Kelly; Messrs J. J. Qualtrough (chairman) and IT. B. Jones,



Died July 23rd, 1919.

Mr J. G. Moore, of Ballacross, Arbory, has been notified of the death in Melbourne, Australia, of his brother, the late Mr James Moore, who left the Isle of Man and settled in the Southern Continent several years ago. In a letter received by Mr J. G. Moore, from Mr Phil Kewin, hon. secretary, Melbourne Manx Society, the writer says that Mr James Moore died on July 23rd last, and that he passed peacefully away. Through Mr Kewin, the Melbourne Manx Society express to the deceased gentleman's relations in the Isle of Man their deepest sympathy. Mr Kewin states that soon after he landed in Australia., seven years ago, he met Mr Moore at a meeting in Melbourne held in connection with the formation of the Melbourne Manx Society, and subsequently up to the time of Mr Moore's death both were closely in touch with each other. Mr James Moore was a true Manxman both in words and deeds, and he was keenly alive to everything pertaining to the Isle of Man. He attended the monthly meeting of the Melbourne Manx Society in April, when he warmly advocated the adoption of a Manx badge for the society, and was appointed by the meeting to make inquiries concerning the matter and to report at the next meeting. In the meantime his eldest daughter was seized with influenza, and subsequently both Mr and Mrs Moore contracted the dread malady, both being down together. The family had a very trying time, and as Mr Moore's condition grew worse they became greatly solicitous. Mr Moore was attended by the family doctor, and Dr Cowen, of Kew, a Manx medical man, was also called in. Dr Cowen, by the way, turned out to be an old schoolfellow of his patient. Everything possible in the way of medical and nursing attention was done with the object of prolonging Mr Moore's life, but all was of no avail, and he died as stated, on July 23rd. Mr Moore is greatly missed by the Manx community in Melbourne, with whom he was very popular and much respected. During his illness he was very hopeful that he would soon be able to pay a visit to his beloved native land, as he expected to be sent to England in connection with some ships which his firm had an order, but death prevented the consummation of his ardent desire. The funeral took place at Melbourne on July 28th, and was largely attended by Manx-Australians and others. About one hundred of his fellow-workers were present to pay their last tribute of respect to a loved and esteemed comrade.


Died June 10th, 1919.

Mr Richard Radcliffe, formerly of Ballachrink, Malew, who died at his residence, West View, Douglas, early on Tuesday, June 10th, will be greatly missed in the Isle of Man. For many years he farmed Ballachrink, the land having been in the occupation of his forbears for a considerable period. He retired from the active pursuit of agriculture about twenty years ago, and came to reside in Douglas, but for the remainder of his days he took a deep interest in the soil, and was, up to quite recently, one of the Government valuers of agricultural property. Mr Radcliffe was a most kindly and courteous and genial gentleman, who had the respect and esteem of a host of friends. Notwithstanding his age--he was 86-,he enjoyed good health up to a very short time ago, and was constantly out and about. On Saturday, however, he had an attack of bronchitis, to which he succumbed. He was one of the trustees of the Gawne (Kentraugh) estates, and this services as an arbitrator and valuer were in great demand. The funeral took place Friday, June 13th, interment being in Malew Churchyard.


Died September 2nd, 1919.

It is with feelings of profound sorrow that the writer pens a few lines to the memory of one of the most remarkable and enthusiastic Manxmen of the mainLand. On Tuesday, Sept. 2nd, Mr John Kissack, foreman in the boiler shop, Vickers, Ltd., and chairman of the Barrow Manx Society, and ex-Sergeant-Major of the Salvation Army, passed away with tragic suddenness, at the age of 62 years. About fourteen years ago Mr Kissack sustained severe injuries whilst superintending the removal of some marine boilers. On removal to the hospital, it was ascertained that the had sustained several deep scalp wounds, injury to the spine, and the fracture of several ribs. Being of a strong and robust constitution, he was able to leave the hospital after a period of four months' treatment, but he never regained his former good health. On Tuesday, Mr Kissack left his home for a short walk, unaccompanied, in the direction of Rampside, along the public footpath. About noon he was found alongside the pathway in a state of unconsciousness by two workmen. The motor ambulance was 'phoned for from the Pulp Works, and in a short time he was conveyed to the North Lonadale Hospital, expiring a few minutes after his admission to the Institute. Mr Kissack was a native of Sandy Gate, Jurby, being a son of the late Mr John Kissack, shoemaker, of that place. In his younger days he was engaged in agricultural work, and for several years was employed by the late Mr Dan Cormode, H.K. On leaving the Island, about 38 years ago, Mr Kissack came to Barrow, where he obtained employment in the Barrow Shipbuilding,Co.'s yard. Through strict attention to, duty and conscientious service, the was promoted to charge hand, and on the firm of Vickers, Son, and Maxim taking over the concern, he was appointed foreman in the marine boiler shop, the position which he held up to the time of his demise. Soon after his arrival in Barrow, Mr Kissack identified himself with the Salvation Army movement, and continued to take a leading part in all the services, sparing neither time nor money in furthering the interests of the Army and the carrying on of its good work. He wag an excellent speaker, and in his addresses and sermons spoke feelingly and convincingly. He was an enthusiastic member of the Barrow Manx Society,, joining the society the first year of its inception. About nine years ago he was unanimously elected chairman of the committee, and continued to hold the office with great acceptance until his death. He was a profound lever of his native land, and was always reedy to assist his fellow-countrymen and give them sound advice. Mr Kissack had an affection, for the Manx Society. His genial manner and hearty co-operation in matters pertaining to the welfare of the society, socially and financially, were most marked. His position will be (hard to fill, as he was an ideal chairman. The funeral took place on Saturday, and was largely attended by members of the general public, his colleagues in the works, and his fellowcountrymen. The first part of the service was held in the Salvation Army Citadel, being conducted by Commandant Windybanks (Barrow) and Commandant Charles.worth. On leaving the Citadel, the cortege was joined by the Salvation Army Band (of which deceased was a member for several years), and a large number of members of the Army, walking in procession. A most impressive service was conducted at the graveside, and many of Mr Kissack's comrades and fellow-country. men were visibly affected, which testified to the (high respect and regard in which he was held. The following were the principal mourners :-Mrs K.issack (widow), Mr R. Mayor, Mr John Kissack (sons), Misses J. Kissack, K. Kissack, A. Kissaõk, A. Clayton, E. Kissack (daughters), Mr and Mrs Fowler, Mr and 'Mrs Cannell (sisters and brothers-in-law), Mr B. Clayton (son-in-law), Mr T. Kissack (brother), Mr E. Runner ((brother-in-law), Mr T. Curphey. Mr and Mrs Hugh Fowler, jun., Mr and

Mrs Smith. The pall bearers were Mr H. C. F. Lace (hon. sec.), Mr T. Morrison (hon treasurer), Mr A. P. :Kennish (hon. auditor), Mr W. Killip, Mr T. Crellin, Mr V. Boyde, Mr H. Corkish (Man, Society).

E. C. F. L.


Died November 15th, 1919.

The death occurred on Saturday, Nov. 15th, of Mr Albert Henry Fayle, one of the oldest established of Douglas business men. Mr Fayle had been ailing for over a year, and last spring his condition be camel so serious that the was compelled to absent himself from business. With a view to reestablishment of his health, he spent some time in Ramsey in the early part of the summer, and derived considerable benefit from the change. The improvement, :however, was but transient, and soon after his return to Douglas he had a relapse, which took a turn for the worse so pronounced that the end was omy a question of time. He :bore his illness patiently, and his naturally powerful frame and vigorous vitality enabled him to hold out until Saturday, when he passed away at his residence No. 5 Osborne-terrace, Douglas. Mr Fayle came of good old Manx yeoman stock, and was born on the ancestral farm in Onchan Abbey Lands, just over 62 years ago. His forebears for a long period bore a conspicuous part in the affairs of the Abbey Lands district, his father being for many years foreman of the Setting Quest of the Abbey. Mr Albert Foyle himself had an intimate knowledge of Abbey Lands history and traditions; indeed he was one of the best informed men in the Island concerning Manx matters. In his youth he removed with his parents to Douglas, and for several years resided with his mother-a very respected lady-in a quaintly pretty cottage situate on the Douglas sea front, which was demolished a few years ago. Though he always maintained his association with the land, be received most of his education in the town, and almost fifty, years ago he went to serve his apprenticeship as a draper with the then eminent firm of Quine and Archer, of Duke-street. Upon completing his term of service, he proceeded to London, where he secured a :position in a large wholesale drapery establishment. After spending a few years in the metropolis, he returned to Douglas, and set up in business on his own account as a gentle men's hosier and outfitter, in the premises now occupied by the Misses Kewley, milliners, Victoria street. Subsequently he ,removed to premises at the corner of Victoria-street and Duke-street, formerly occupied by Mr William Kneale, bookseller. Throughout the conducted a very flourishing concern, and in the matter of quality his goods had a high reputation which was by no means confined to the Isle of Man. Mr Foyle, who always took a deep interest in municipal and public affairs, was returned in 1903 to the Douglas Town Council, as a representative of Athol Ward, and served on the Council until 1910, During his term of membership he sat on the Tramways and Works Committees, of both of which he was for a time chairman. In the physical wellbeing of the young people of Douglas, he took a warm interest and frequently mani fested it in tangible fashion. He was marvellously well informed, and being possessed of a wonderful memory, a happy disposition, and a keen sense of humour, he was a most excellent raconteur. His fund of reminiscent anecdote was indeed well-nigh inexhaustible, and he told his stories delightfully. Socially he was a great favourite, and was ever welcome at gatherings of a festive character. Withal be was exceedingly sagacious in business, and enjoyed an unspotted reputation for honourable dealing. He was very prominent in Manx Masonic circles. Joining St. Trinian's Lodge (2050) about thirty years ago, he eventually attained to the position of Master of the Lodge. Also he achieved high office in the Provincial Grand Lodge of the Island, and generally he was extraordinarily well versed in the ceremonies and history of the craft. By his brethren he was held in great esteem being regarded by them as one of the firmest pillars of the fraternity. Thirty-three years ago he married Miss Nellie Leadbeater, younger daughter of the late Mr Henry Leadbeater, who in those days was manager of the Douglas tramways. Mrs Fayle, a very amiable lady, predeceased her husband by about two months. There are six children of the union survivingtwo sons and four daughters.

The funeral took place on Tuesday morning from No. 5 Osborne-terrace, and was attended by a, large concourse of Douglas people. Prominent in the cortege were the W.M., and other officers and several 'brethren of St. Trinian's Lodge of Freemasons, of which the late Mr Fayle was a past master. The brethren bore the customary sprig of acacia, which is associated with the funeral obsequies of departed Masons. Upon leaving the rosideuce of deceased, the cortege proceeded to St. Thomas's Church, where the first portion of the funeral ceremony was performed, the Rev R. B. Jolly, M.A. (vicar), who was the principal officiant, being assisted by the Rev C. H. Brown (curate). In the course of the service the hymn, " On the Resurrection Morning," was feelingly sung. Ere the coffin was borne from the chancel, the organist (Miss M. L. Wood, A.H.C.O.), gave a very effective rendering of the Dead March in " Saul " (Handel,). The interment was at Kirk Braddan Cemetery, where the committal portion of the Burial Service was recited. The principal mourners were Mr A. H. Fayle (son), Mr P. Jones (son-in-law), and Liouteaiant B. Rees.


Died December 3rd, 1519.

Mr William Godfrey Cubbon, who for forty years or so had been prominently identified with agriculture in the Isle of Man, died at his residence Sea Crest, Queen's-promenade, Douglas, on Wednesday, Dec. 3rd, after a long illness patiently endured. Mr Cubbon was born fifty-eight years ago at Ballavere, near Port Soderick, the farm of his father, the late Mr John Cubbon, sometime parochial surveyor- of Braddan, under the Highway Board. While still a young man he started business in Douglas as a seed and produce merchant on the North Quay. Subsequently he entered the employ of the late Mr M. W. Corran, agricultural auctioneer, and Ilater on she transferred his services to the late Mr William Thomson, who also carried on business as an agricultural and general auctioneer in Douglas. Mr Thomson was secretary of the Southern Branch of the Isle of Man Agricultural Society, but the bulk of the work in connection with the secretaryship was entrusted by him to Mr Cubbon, whose acquaintance with Manx farmers and Manx farming matters was marvellously wide. Mr Cubbon was responsible for practicably all the organisation work in connection with the agricultural shows held in the Southern district, and in connection with it he gained golden opinions, not only from the farmers and other exhibitors, but from the general public. His great qualifications were inexhaustible patience, constant and intelligent application to this duties and wonderful courtesy and tact-and it required uncommon courtesy and tact to carry through the secretarial duties connected with the agricultural show satisfactorily. Altogether he remained in Mr Thomson's employ for over twenty years. Some four years ago he received an important appointment under Capt. Riley, who represented the Army Purchasing Board in the Isle of Man So ably did he bear himself that the attention of the Secretary of State was drawn to his efficient discharge of his duties, with the result that acknowledgement came in the shape of "mention in dispatches." For many years Mr Cubbon was secretary, of the Farmers' Club, and in other ways he was associated with farmers, by whom he was held in high respect and esteem. At the last meeting of the Southern Branch of the Agricultural Society a vote of sympathy with him in his illness was passed. Sympathetic reference to his death was made by Mr F. D. Johnson at an auction conducted by him in Athol Hall, Douglas.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2002