[From The Manx Quarterly, #15, 1915]
Died August 25th, 1914.
The announcement that Mr James Crossley Brearley, of the well-known firm of Heron and Brearley, Ltd., Douglas, had died on Aug. 25th, was not unexpected. For some months Mr Brearley had been in a very precarious condition, and during the last few weeks it was well known that recovery from the serious illness which afflicted him was impossible. In the spring, Mr Brearley proceeded to London and consulted an eminent specialist, and he returned to the Island towards the end of June in cheerful frame of mind. Soon afterwards his illness took a very grave turn, and from then to the end he was confined to, his room at his residence in Woodbourne Place, Douglas. Mr Brearley, though not a Manxman by birth [born Rochdale], spent the greater portion of his life in the Island. His parents came to Douglas from England, while he was a boy, and his father commenced a retail wine and spirit business in Finch-road, which he carried on for several years. Mr Brearley entered the employ of the late Mr George C. Heron, of Castle Mona Stores, Castle-street, Douglas, and acquired a thorough knowledge of the wine and spirit business in all its branches. While still a young man, he and his elder brother, Mr Henry Brearley (who had served an apprenticeship with the late Mr William Allen, brewer and spirit merchant, Douglas) commenced business as wholesale dealers in beers, wines and spirits and the ability and enterprise they threw into the conduct of their venture, combined with the integrity of their methods, soon resulted in the building up of a big connection. The firm, as their business expanded, were compelled to erect extensive premises in Drumgold-street, and they were soon among the largest employers in the Island. On the death of Mr G. C. Heron, some twenty years ago, the great business which had been carried on by him at the Castle Mona Stores was acquired by the firm of Messrs H. and J. C. Brearley, and the two concerns were afterwards carried on by the amalgamated firm known as Heron and Brearley, Ltd. It is not too much to say that the business conducted under the new style had much the largest turnover of any privately conducted commercial concern in the Isle of Man. Not only were the firm's operations in connection with the purchase and sale of beers, wines, and spirits on a huge scale, but they for very many years held the contract for catering on the vessels of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. In the season, each of, the dozen or so steamers comprising the Steam Packet Company's fleet is a. floating restaurant, and a big one at that. In this connection, and in regard to the conduct of their business on land, Messrs Heron and Brearley employed a staff numbering some hundreds, and dealt with an enormous quantity of material in the course of a year. Mr J. C. Brearley always took a prominent part in the management of the firm's affairs, and especially he gave his attention to the outdoor department. He was an ideal commercial traveller genial, punctual, accurate, kindly and considerate; while his wonderful knowledge of the wine and spirit business was of great assistance to his customers, whom he ever aided with his advice. There was not a, more popular man " oun the road " in the Island, and his popularity was not by any means confined to his customers, for it extended to his rivals in trade, by all of whom he was greatly esteemed. In private life Mr Brearley was the soul of good nature he was indeed a. most pleasant and agreeable companion. Charitable of disposition, he was ever ready to assist people in material fashion, while his shrewd counsel was eagerly sought and readily bestowed. Though he took a deep interest in national and municipal affairs, Mr Brearley never entered public life. When the General Election of the House of Keys was approaching last autumn, he was asked to stand as a candidate for one of the Douglas divisions, but he did not feel in a position to comply with the request. At one time he was a prominent figure in Manx Freemasonry, and was one of the oldest past masters of the Athole Lodge 1004 the senior lodge in the Isle of Man. He also hold the rank of Past Senior Grand Warden of the province of the Isle of Man, and was selected by Lord Raglan to fill high office in the newly constituted Past Masters' Lodge. A large proprietor in several Manx public companies, he was a director of the Peveril Hotel Co., Ltd., and he owned a considerable amount of licensed property in the Island. Mr Brearley married a daughter [Eleanor A.] of the late Mr Thomas Kewley, builder, Douglas, and two daughters and a son were the issue of the marriage. Mrs Brearley pre-deceased her husband some years ago. Both daughters are married, one being the wife of Mr R. G. Shannon, chartered accountant, Douglas, and the other of Mr Jackson, of Liverpool. Mr Brearley was in the 65th year of his age. The funeral took place on Friday, August 28th, and was largely attended. Internment was at Kirk Braddan Cemetery.
Mr Brearley, whose death, is noticed above, was interred in Kirk Braddan Cemetery on Friday, August 28th. The funeral cortege left Woodbourne-place at 2-30. The Rev H. S. Taggart, M.A., vicar of St. Matthew's, conducted the burial service.
The chief mourners were Mr J. K. Brearley (son), Mr Henry Brearley (brother), Mr Stephen Kewley (brother-in-law), Mr Robert. G. Shannon and Mr J H. Jackson (son-in-laws), and Mr L. D Kidson (nephew).
Among those present were: Mr. Dalrymple Maitland, S.H.K., chairman of the Steam Packet Co.; Mr C. T. W. Hughes-Games, V.G., and Mr W. A. Waid. directors of the Steam Packet Co. the High-Bailiff of Douglas, Di, .;: J. Kelly, W. Allen, J. M. CL1b1,r., Cowley, J. Ritchie, G. M. Gall-A H. Wood, J.P., J. P. Smith, Dr ton, Councillor R. J. Kelly, G. .J_ tonwood, S. Templeton, J. B. l:i H. Handley, W. H. Okell, 11'. J Councillor T. G. Kelly, Alderman John Kelly, Thomas Cubbin, Geo. bleton, Edwin Creer, Thomas B.-W. H. Cubbon, Jos. Chalmers. Oates, J. T. H. Cottier, J. Boyd. Lindsay, T. Redmond, J. Buckn. Bucknall, G. J. A. Brown, F, Ni, F. D. Johnson, T. Stott, Counr . Caley, S. C. Craine, S. B. Ali, Alder, junr., R. C. Cain, J. Dl Howarth, J. White, J. Blakemore, i Spence, E. Bodfor3, W. Cubb(.i-Quaggan, J. S. Evarard, D. Evarar-: H. Fayle, Thos, Shimmin, J. H. (;i J. McEwen, S. A. Quirk, H. T. 11vla. ex-Inspector John Cain, F. EdmOaa,,; Thos. Stowell, F. Cottle, L. Hales, Gore, M. W. Corran, T, Craine, .J Booth, J. Key, A. Legge, Supt. J. Quilliam, E. C'lague, R. Clucas, H.K., Plant, Inspector Adamson, A. B, kenzio, 11 '. Newby, Robt. Revd, l'. Johns, W. H. Johns, E. Bedford, L. Hall, J. H. Henshall, Win. Holding, Holland, C. H. Howarth, H. Marsh, C. Newton, C. Costain, T. Kewley, Forrester, S. H. Marsdon (Ramsey), S. Atkinson, F. C. Poulter, Chas. Fo Henry Wood, 11 '. Keig, Councillor Wm Knox, S. Higginbotham, H. E. Livesey . Moses Senogles, G. Liddle, W. J, Ashburner, G. H. Horne, F. J. Johnson, (. Nottingham, W. H. Callow, Wm. Radcliffe, Alderman R. Moore, John Knos (Ramsey), J. R. Fergusson, J. Mercer, G. Mullen, W. G. T. Hargra,ve, T. Flux, R. Radcliffe, Robert Knox, W. E. Kermode (Peel), F. Cain (Peon, J. Bridson (Crosby), J. Inglis, R. A. Burnett (Swan Hotel, Ramsey), James Craige (Castletown Brewery), Walter Wright, Arthur Jones, J. R. Bragazzi, and others.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr Mark Carine. Wreaths were sent by the following: "Jim," Nellie and Bob, Marie and Bert. Henry and Mary Brearley, family, Stephen and Frances Kewley, James and Sophia Kewley and family, Mr and Mrs Kidson, Southport; Douglas and Herbert Kidson, Mr and Mrs Shannon, Upton; J. M. Cubbon, Clerical Staff at the Royal Stores, the Staff at the Royal Stores, Clara, William, and Mary, G. M. Galloway, Mr and Mrs S. Quirk, Mr and Mrs Jackson, Waterloo; Officers and Brethren of the Lord Raglan Lodge, G. J. Burtonwood, the Directors and Secretary of the Peveril Hotel Co., Mr and Mrs Ritchie, the Brethren of the Athol Lodge (No. 1004), Chief Stewards and Staff (Catering Department, Directors and Manager Manx Electric Railway, Sons and Daughters of the late Mrs Curphey, Mr and Mrs Frank Cattle, Mr J. P. Smith, Mr Walter Allen, Mrs E. Meakin, Mr and Mrs Liddle, Mr and Miss Burnett (Ramsey), Mr H. Canepa, Licensed Victuallers' Association, Mr and Mrs W. H. Okell, Mr and Mrs Q. Smith, R.W. Prov. Grand Master and Officers of Prov. Grand Lodge, Staff Castle-street Stores, Directors of the Villiers Hotel, Mr and Mrs T. H. Handley, Mr J. D. Cowley, Mr and Mrs Jos. Kaye, the Liverpool Staff of Messrs Bass & Co., Mrs Ramsden, Mr W. J. Kelly.
Died August 15th, 1914.
During the week the sad news was received of the death of Dr Harry Percival Hannay, and it came as a great blow to residents of Castletown. The late Dr Hannay was born on the 4th July, 1866, at Leamington, and was educated at Leamington College. His medical training was at Edinburgh University, where he graduated M.B., C.M., in 1891, taking his M.D. degree in 1896. Amongst appointments he held were those of Public orator of the Castletown District; Medical Officer to King William's College: Medical Officer to the Post Office; Surgeon to the Police; Surgeon to the Royal Naval Reserve; and Medical Officer to the Oddfellows and Rechabites Friendly Societies. He practised in Castletown for over 20 years, and died in Edinburgh on, Aug. 25th. Dr Hannay was fond of sport from boyhood, and won many athletic prizes at Leamington College. It will also be remembered that in 1900 he won outright the Isle of Man Lawn Tennis Championship Cup for gentlemen, and up to the day of his death he was secretary to the Castletown Tennis Club. He was a keen angler, and was very often seen salmon fishing in the streams around Castletown. Dr Hannay was beloved by every person in Castletown, and was esteemed by all who knew him. He was very kind and sympathetic to everyone. His ill-health was a great drawback, and he had often to work under the most severe difficulties. He was an honest, upright, and straight man of genial disposition. Lately he took Dr Chambers into partnership with him. The deepest sympathy is felt with Mrs Hannay in her great loss, and with Dr Chambers in losing such an accomplished and popular partner.
Died September 22nd, 1914.
One of the most esteemed citizens of Douglas passed away on September 22nd, in the person of Mr John Joseph Taggart, head of the well-known firm of Quiggin and Co., timber merchants and rope manufacturers, the Bridge, Douglas. Mr Taggart had been in but indifferent health for over a year, and about two months ago complications serious of character developed. He was confined to his house for some time, but eventually so far recovered as to be able to drive about in the open-air. A relapse, however, set in, and for three weeks prior to death he was again forced to remain indoors, gradually sinking until he joined the great majority, at the age of 87, death taking place at his residence in Hawarden-avenue, Douglas. Mr Taggart was by birth a Douglas man. His father for many years carried on business as an upholsterer in Cambrian-place, and was highly respected, as was his mother, a lady of great sweetness of character. On completing his education, he entered the employ of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company as a clerk, under the late Mr J. J. Goldsmith, the then manager. Among the other members of the company's staff during Mr Taggart's association with the concern was Mr T. P. Ellison, who subsequently succeeded Mr Goldsmith in the management. After a few years' service with the company, Mr Taggart left and entered the office of the late Mr Edward Todd Quiggin, who in those days was principal partner in the firm of Quiggin and Co. Afterwards Mr Quiggin became sole proprietor of the great business, and Mr Taggart rose to be his confidential clerk. being eventually taken into partnership. On Mr Quiggin's death. a few years ago, Mr Taggart acquired full control of the concern, and afterwards took into partnership Mr Edward Cannell. of Douglas. Mr Cannell retired from the firm a few years ago, proceeding to Vancouver, B.C., and Mr Taggart once more became sole proprietor, though his son-in-law, Mr G. W. Dean, then manager of the Isle of Man Banking Company's branch at Peel, became associated with him in the management:-: During Mr Taggart's connection with the firm, extensive alterations in the plant and machinery were effected at his instance. With a view to competing effectually with British and foreign manufacturers of ropes, the old drill hall on the Lake was purchased, and in it was installed a machine ropery on the most modern and approved lines. The enterprise displayed by Mr Taggart resulted in a big field for employment of men and women being opened out; indeed, the firm was the largest employer of labour in the Island, with the exception of the important carrying companies. Quiggin and Co. were world-famed for the splendid quality of the ropes they turned out and they exported hawsers for use upon many of the great liners sailing out of Liverpool. The principal hawsers used upon the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company's vessels. were also of their manufacture. Mr Taggart, too, developed considerably the timber side of the business, and introduced: a builders' material section, which added considerably to the scope of the firm's transactions. Quiggin and Co.-the firm; still retains the original name-were the largest importers of timber in the Island and yearly many ships arrived laden with cargoes consigned to them, from Norway and America. In the conduct of other commercial concerns in the Island Mr Taggart took an active part. He was director of the Glenfaba Brick Company which manufactures bricks of excellent quality at the Peel works; and of the Peel Town Building Company; while he was formerly on the directorate of the Port Erin and Port St. Mary Gas Company. He was one of the staunchest supporter-of Noble's Isle of Man Hospital, being a member of the Committee of Management of that most admirable institution. and he was on the committee of the Ellan Vannin Fund. Indeed, he was actively associated with nearly every charitable movement in Douglas, while his private benevolence was on a large scale. Mr Taggart was for many years connected with Finch Hill Congregational Church, and was one of the trustees of the church. A sincerely religious man, he never made a parade of his religion, and his breadth of mind enabled him to respect the convictions of people who differed widely from him in their outlook concerning matters spiritual. One of the most cheery of individuals, Mr Taggart was always disposed to look upon the bright side of things and to imbue others with his optimistic spirit. He ever had a pleasant greeting for his friends, of whom he had a very wide circle. His counsel was frequently sought, and was always readily given. His deep knowledge of mankind and of business, and his clearness and quickness of perception, rendered his advice upon commercial affairs and general matters extremely valuable, and many people who sought it and took it profited from it exceedingly. Mr Taggart took a deep interest in national and municipal politics, though he could never be persuaded to seek public office. Without doubt, had he consented to stand for election to the House of Keys, he could have been returned as one of the members for Douglas any time within the last twenty years, while he had the greatest difficulty at times in resisting the pressure brought upon him to become a candidate for municipal honours. The furthest he would go was to consent to act as chairman of the election committees of candidates whom he deemed worthy of support, and he was indeed an ideal chairman business-like, energetic, pleasant, tactful, and with a gift for composing differences. He also shone as chairman of public meetings, a capacity in which his services were in frequent demand. Averse to much oratory, he was a really capable speaker, his platform utterances coruscating with lightness and humour, and being replete with sound common-sense. He could tell most excellent story, and as he had a splendid knowledge of Douglas, and of happenings in Douglas fifty years ago and more, his narrations were, ever interesting. Mr Taggart married one of the daughters of the late Mr Henry Robinson, architect and builder, of Finch-road, Douglas. Mrs Taggart survives her husband, as do the three children of the marriage. Of the children, one is a son, Mr William H. Taggart, now resident in New Zealand; while there are two daughters-Miss L. E. Taggart, of Douglas, and Mrs G. W. Dean. Great symapthy is felt with the family in their bereavement.
Mr John Joseph Taggart, head of the firm of Quiggin and Co., timber merchants and rope manufacturers, was laid to rest on Friday, Sept. 25th, the funeral being very largely attended by persons of all classes and from all parts of the Island. The mourners were Messrs G. W. Dean, son-in-law; Alfred W. Robinson and Geo. H. Robinson, brothers-in-law; S. Kewley, brother-in-law.; T. Unsworth, brother-in-law; John Taggart, Howstrake, cousin; John J. Taggart, W. H. Taggart, and T. P. Ellison. Among others present were Capt. S. E. Dutton, Liverpool agent of the firm of Quiggin and Co.; Mr Robert McKirdy, representing Messrs Robert McKirdy and Sons, sole agents in Glasgow; Mr Strang, representing Messrs Michael Hutchinson and Co., rope manufacturers, Liverpool; Messrs J. T. H. Cottier, John Kelly, and W. E. Teare (Peel), directors, and R. Kneen, manager of the Glenfaba Brick Co.; Jos. Allen, foreman of Quiggin and Co.; Thos. Craine, sawyer; P. . Quilleash, foreman spinner; Gee,. Lewin, foreman ropemaker ; Robert Quayle. yardsman ; and most of the female and all the male employees of the firm; the Clerk of the Rolls, Deemster Callow, the Speaker of the House of Keys, the Receiver-General, the Vicar-General, the Town Clerk of Douglas (Mr A. Robertson), Capt. Moughtin, H.K., Capt Keig, Dr Woods, Rev V. Davies and Mr D. F. Putt (representing Finch Hill Congregational Church), Capt. Cannell, Messrs M. M. Bridson, Thos. Stowell, Andrew Calev, F. M. Greene, C.P., Henry Cowin, William Radcliffe. Philip Christian, P. Fargher, W. H. Maker. Mark Craine, H.K., T. Craine (Steam Packet Co.). S. K. Broadbent, R. G. Fargher, D. Evarard, W. Kelly (Victoria-street), W. F. Price, H. J. Qualtrough (Port St. Mary), T. B. Cowley (Ramsey), J. Cain, Wm. Lewin, J. H. Clarke, R. Brindle, R. Whiteside, G. H. Wood, J.P., J. Burman, W. Craine (joiner), F. C. Poulter, J. B. Edgar, Robt. Forrest, Thos. Cubbon, Frank Nicholson, Stanley Creer, Moses Hampton, J. C. Cowley, A. E. Crowe (Isle of Man Steam Saw Mills Co.), J. C. Cannell, W. Knox, Robt. Knox, R. L. Quirk, W. H. Kitto, H.K., A. Kitto, R. F. Douglas, C. J. Blackburn, Alex. Hough, W. G. Qualtrough, J. F. Clucas, D. Corrin, Geo. Maley, J. R. Bregazzi, and many others.
The service at the graveside was conducted by the Rev Vivian Davies, pastor of Finch Hill Congregational Church. Interment was in Onchan Churchyard.
Died October 21st, 1914.
It will be learned with very deep regret throughout the Isle of Man that the Rev Edmund Walsh, formerly Rector of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Douglas, died suddenly in London on Wednesday Oct. 21st. Father Walsh was appointed to St. Mary's about 28 years ago, and he held the charge for sixteen years. During his career in Douglas he gained the affection of the Roman Catholic community, and the esteem and respect of all others in the Island. He was a gentleman of high culture and of great charity of thought and deed. Broad of view, he associated himself with many social movements, and especially did he take a deep and most intelligent interest in popular education. He served for several years on the Douglas School Board, and he was appointed chairman of that body on the resignation of the late Mr James Moore. A man of many attainments, Father Walsh particularly shone as an astronomer-he was a complete master of the science of the heavens. He was also an antiquarian and archaeologist of splendid proficiency, and was a valued member of the Isle of Man Antiquarian, and Natural History Society, frequently contributing papers coruscating with intimate knowledge of the subjects he dealt with and literary polish. Of the Douglas Progressive Debating Society he was an enthusiastic and very active member, and the essays which he read before the society were remarkable for erudition at once profound and graceful. During his ministry in Douglas he was appointed by the Bishop of Liverpool to a deanery, and in other directions he received marks of the esteem in which he was held by his ecclesiastical superiors. Twelve years ago he was preferred to the Rectory of St. Thomas of Canterbury at Waterloo, near Liverpool, and he held this post to his death. A serious illness overtook him soon after his transfer from Douglas to Waterloo, and he never completely recovered from the consequent prostration. For the last two years he had been in indifferent health, but none of his friends thought that his condition was dangerous. A monument to Farther Walsh's sojourn in Douglas is to be found in the handsome elementary schools connected with St. Mary's Church, which he was mainly instrumental in, providing.