[From Manx Quarterly, #9 1910]
Died August 8th, 1910,
In the death of Mr Joseph William Swynnerton, which took place at The Smelt, Port St. Mary, an August 8th, the Isle of Man has lost one of the most distinguished of her sons. truly great sculptor, the dead artist had, by force of circumstances, to reside far from the land of his birth, but his heart ever beat for the island wherein he first saw light. Mr Swynnerton was perhaps the most talented member of a very talented family. His father, the late Mr Charles Swynnerton, who died at Port St. Mary about two years ago, for many years carried on business as a carver in stone in Douglas, and was himself no mean artist. Joseph was his third son, the others being Charles, a man of scholarly attainments, who entered the Church, and became a Government Chaplain in India; Robert (now dead), an art jeweller in the front rank of his calling; Mark, who, as a stone mason, made a name for himself in the United States; and Frederick, a painter who has achieved distinction. Joseph was born in Douglas on July 6th, 1848, so that at the time of his death he had just entered upon his sixty-third year His education was received in Douglas, and was in great part the outcome of unaided application to study. On leaving school he was apprenticed to his father, and almost immediately gave such evidence of his artistic instinct, that he, while still a youth, was sent by his father to Edinburgh for the purpose of studying modelling. Thence he proceeded to Rome, and entering the art schools in that great centre of art, had a distinguished career, in the course of which he was awarded several medals for ability and proficiency in sculpture by the then Pope, His Holiness Pius IX. On emerging from the student stage, he executed some very fine work, notably a Magdalen in bas relief, full of the tenderest feeling; a St. Winifrede, now in the church at Holywell ; a St. Francesca Romana, worked in coloured marbles, now in the famous Jesuit Church of Farm-street, London; a Mater Dolorosa. and a Christ at the Column, in the same church. His large fountain " Immortal Youth," won the admiration of the chief artists of the day Burne Jones, Alma Tadema, and Holman Hunt notably. This fountain was afterwards exhibited in Rome, and gained for the sculptor the grande medaille. Another fountain, " Love's Chalice," at present in the Camberwell Gallery, is also a very fine and important piece of sculpture. His monumental work, however, is, the splendid statue of the late Queen Victoria, now at Southend. This noble presentment of the great monarch created quite a sensation in art circles. Other statues for which the late Joseph Swynnerton was responsible were those of Hugh Mason, at Ashton-under-Lyne, and Joseph Verdun. The Isle of Man contains at least three excellent specimens of Mr Swynnerton's work, in his bust of the late T. E. Brown, the Manx patriot-poet, now in the Douglas Free Library; that of the late Sir John Goldie-Taubman, Speaker of the House of Keys, now in the House of Keys; and that of the late Pierre Henri Josef Baume, who left a large sum for charitable purposes on the Island. It was as good as decided, too, by the committee which has in hand the memorial to the late Mr Arthur William Moore, Speaker of the House of Keys, that Mr Swynnerton should be commissioned to execute a bust of Mr Moore, to be placed in the Keys' Chamber.
Mr Swynnerton, who for several years past has been resident in Rome, suffered from heart complaint, and about a fortnight ago he came to Port St. Mary in the hope that the change would benefit his system. Realisation, however, failed to attend upon hope, and he passed away as stated, on Monday. In private life Mr Swynnerton was a most amiable, though somewhat reserved, gentleman, and of very kindly disposition. Very few of this generation knew him during his early days in the Isle of Man, but those who had that privilege speak highly of his sterling qualities. He is survived by his wife, who grieves sorely in her loss of an affectionate husband and a kindly and helpful life-companion.
The funeral took place at Maughold Churchyard on August 11th.
He had much in common with his great compatriot, T. E. Brown, whose verses were an ever-increasing delight to him indeed, his nature in its quick responsiveness now radiant, now despondent, and attuned to every passing beauty of earth, sea, and sky, was that of the true poet.
His work lives to praise him, and must doubtless receive in time the award so long due to the author.
Meanwhile he has passed away in the sickness of hope deferred lulled to rest by the dirge of the seagull and the murmur of the weaves on the shores of his beloved Island.
What a sense of loss of exquisite companionship for ever fled, only those can estimate who were privileged to know him.
A. L. S.
We regret to record the death, which took place on Thursday, August 4th of Mr Wm. R. Trotter, who was well known throughout the Island in connection with agriculture. By his death (says the `North Mail"), which occurred at his residence , North Acomb, Stocksfield, at the age of 57 years, there has been removed fron Northern agricultural circles a notable figure Until about ten weeks ago, Mr Trotter had been in good health; he was then confined in-doors by bronchitis and heart trouble, and died as stated.
Mr Trotter and his forbears had farmed under the Beaumont family for many years Mr W. R Trotter succeeded his father, the late Mr William Trotter, on the South Acomb Farm, but as the present Lord Allendale desired a home farm to his Bywell Hall residence, Mr Trotter exchanged South Acomb farm for North Acomb farm.
It was as a judge and breeder of horses, more particularly Clydesdales and Shires, that Mr W. R, Trotter was best known in the agricultural world As a young man !ie earned distinction by gaining a prize for an exceeoingly well-written essay on horse breeding in one of the leading agricultural journals. For considerably over thirty years he had done much to encourage horse breeding over the whole of the North of England and South of Scotland, to ay nothing of other areas further afield. An acknowledged authority on all matters pertaining to horseflesh, he had judged at all the principal shows of Great Britain and Ireland. Agriculturists will learn of his death with much concern. Mr Trotter was often in the saddle, and indeed, rode with credit at point-to-point steeplechases, while he was also a prominent follower of the Tynedale Hunt. In public affairs Mr Trotter took little part, but in politics he was a Liberal. He was never married.
Died June 12th, 1910.
Mr Robert Griffin Cottier, retired draper, died in June 12th, at his residence Westminster-terrace, Douglas. He was the only son of Mr Robert Cottier, who for many years carried on an earthenware business in old King-street, Douglas. After serving his time as a draper in this town, he went to England, and established a business which became lucrative, and enabled him to return to the Island with a substantial competency. He married the eldest daughter of Mr Lewin, who for many years carried on a leading ironmongery and blacksmith's business on the Bridge, Douglas. She had been for several years mistress of St. George's School, and held high college certificates On his return to Douglas, Mr Cottier started business in Duke-street. When Victoria-street was opened, he purchased a site, and erected a large shop, which he called The Beehive. There he carried on an ever-increasing business till he made a transfer to Mr J. J. Gell, and retired. While in Victoria-street,he attended St. Matthew's Church (old), and was for a time a churchwarden. On his erecting a large house for residence in Brunswick-road, he attached himself to Braddan as his parish church. For several years, till health began to fail him, he was all esteemed churchwarden. An interlude in his life was a prolonged voyage to Egypt, of which he wrote an interesting account. He was one of the keenest of businessmen, and the soul of integrity. The late Mr George William Dumbell, when he converted his proprictary bank into a limited company, won Mr Cottier to take a considerable stake in shares. With the increase of the dividend, Mr Cottier's faith ,grew till, at the time of the failure he was the holder of over 300 shares, which at one time had a market value of about £2,400. He not only lost all the share value, but a big deposit, and also had to meet the call corresponding to the number of his shares. Shortly after this, Mrs Cottier passed away, never having got over the shock of their great loss. With the, passing of years, Mr Cattier became somewhat of his old self ; but two or three years ago a nervous breakdown came, and from this, though, able at times to go about, even down to a few weeks ago, he never rccovered. He has left one son and four daughters, three unmarried, and residing in the house. Two sisters the Misses S. and C. Cottier also survive him. They live in Albany-road, on a well-established competency from the old-established business of ladies' outfitting in Prospect-hill. In 1896 Mr Cottier was elected a Town Councillor, and remained an ble and valued member till he retired in 1906.
The interment was at Braddan Cemetery on Wednesday morning, June 15th, and was largely attended.
Died August 8th, 1810.
Throughout the Isle of Man regret will be felt at the death of Mr John Nelson, of the Waterloo Hotel, Ramsey, and in particular persons interested in the endeavour to revive the study of the Manx language will deplore the sad event, .which took place on Monday morning, August 8th. Mr Nelson who though 70 years old was a remarkably well-preserved man, was in the enjoyment of vigorous health up to a few days before his death, and was constantly in the open-air. However, a sudden breakdown in health occurred, and the malady made very rapid progress. eventually proving fatal. Born at Ballayochey. Andreas, Mr Nelson early in life engaged in agricultural pursuits, and subsequently started business as a draper in Ramsey. Then he removed to Bolton and engaged as a tanner, and returning to Ramsey, set. up for himself in this line. About 25 years ago he commenced business as a caterer for the inner man in the Northern town, and eventually obtained a license for the sale of alcoholic liquors in respect of the Waterloo Hotel and restaurant, after some experience as the proprietor of a boarding house in Ballure Mount and of the Albion Hotel. Mr Nelson, though in connection with the supply of food he sold liquid refreshment, was himself a total abstainer, and he ever conducted his business in exemplary fashion, securing the respect not only of his customers hut of the public generally. His principal hobby was concerned with the movement for the revival of Manx as a spoken and written language. A fluent sneaker of his mother tongue, he engaged seriously in study of its grammatical construction with a view to securing a standard for the benefit of persons desirous of acquiring a knowledge of the Manx variety of Gaelic. Possessed of much literary taste and of considerable capacity for versification he devoted much of his leisure to translating popular hymns into Manx. He was a valued contributor to the " Isle of Man Examiner," in which journal many of his translations were published. When classes for Manx music and literature were instituted, Mr Nelson was selected as one of the adjudicators, and he filled the office with much acceptance for two or three years. The deceased gentleman leaves four sons Mr Percy Nelson, who is a sailor; Messrs Thomas, H. and Robert, C. Nelson, in business in Ramsey; and Mr Frank Nelson who holds a position in the Lancashire and Yorkshire Banking Co.'s Ramsey branch He also leaves two daughters, resident respectively in the United States and Liverpool The funeral took place at Kirk Andreas, and was largely attended.
An old inhabitant of Armagh, and at the same time an old Crimean veteran, has passed away in the person of Mr John Moir, V.S., Armagh Mr Moir was Inspector under the Contagious Diseases Animals Act for Armagh and Castleblayney Unions, and had an extensive practice throughout the country. He was elected Honorary Fellow of the Edinburgh Veterinary Medical Society, in ackncwledgment of his valued contribution towards promoting the advancement of Veterinary Science. He was a Lieut.-Veterinary Surgeon of the Land Transport Corps during the Crimean War, and retired with the rank of Honorary Captain, being awarded the Crimean and Turkish medals. He was, therefore, awarded the honour of a military funeral, with band and firing party, pall-bearers of non-commissioned officers, and attendance of all available men in barracks, under the command of Lieut. Gregg. The chief mourners were Messrs Thomas A. ad David B Moir (sons), the Masters William and John Kelly (grandsons), Isle of Man, and Messrs S. Eccles and S. C. Bailie (sons-in-law). Interment took place in St. Mark's, the Rev Messrs Maltby and Rennison officiating. When the coffin was lowered into the grave; the customary three volleys were fired and the " Last Post" was sounded over the remains of another of those who had stood the rigours and starvation of the long Crimean winter till the Union Jack floated over Sevastapol. The cortege included almost every old soldier in the district, County Council officials, and most of the Scotch and Barrack-street residents as well as many others. It was but a few weeks ago that deceased's son died, and it is thought that the bereavement hastened his death. (From the '`Armagh Guardian" of the 13th August, 1910.) The late Mr John Moir was father-in-law to the late Mr William Kelly, of Parville, Arbory, who died in January, 1909.
The remains of Mr Charles W. Garland were interred at Darwen Cemetery on 25th July, amid many mournful expressions from relatives and numerous friends. Mr Garland died, after a protracted illness. on Friday morning week, his complaint being consumption, against which he fought with much fortitude and courage. Mr Garland had been attached to the ' Darwen Gazette" for many years. As a journalist he was smart and observant, possessing a natural aptitude for the work. and displaying in his writing much originality and force of character. Privately he was a pronounced bohemian, full of wit, and of capable raconteur. In this position he was amiable and kind. and he would have gore a long way before perpetrating a quarrel with anyone. In his earlier days he was associated with the Manx press, and was a contributor to the " Manxman," which in those days was conducted by the present editor of the ' Gazette," so that the connection between the two was a long and happy one. The " Gazette" staff placed on the coffin a. wreath of lilies which bore the following inscription: " With deepest sympathy from his colleagues on the ' Gazette ' staff." Amongst the mourners were members of the " Peaceful Valley " Lodge of the R.A.O.B., of which deceased was a member, and the service of the Order was read by Bro. Henry Bloxham, assisted by Bro James Boulton, of the ' Dean" Lodge, London. The foregoing is from the " Darwen Gazette," of which Mr James Hartley, formerly of Douglas is editor. Mr Charles Garland for some time was a member of the reporting staff of the " Isle of Man Examiner," and in this position he was much esteemed by his colleagues and by Douglas journalists generally