[From Manx Quarterly, #4 1908]
Died January 26th. 1908.
Ramseians were grief-stricken when they heard that the Rev Richard Barton, priest in charge of St. Maughold's Roman Catholic Chapel, Ramsey, had died on Sunday, Jan. 26th. The rev. gentleman, who was 42 years of age, was not constitutionally a strong man, but he was able to faithfully fulfil the duties of his pastorate until a fortnight ago, when he was seized with gastritis and became dangerously ill. Dr Sugden was called in, and Nurse Kelly (of Douglas) also attended professionally. Everything possible that medical and nursing skill could devise was done with a view to promoting recovery, and indeed on Wednesday and Thursday of last week there were signs of improvement, which caused Father Rockcliffe, of Widnes, Father Barton's friend, who had crossed to be with the sufferer in his hour of trial, to be very hopeful. There was, however, a relapse, and on Saturday it was evident that the end was nigh. The passing on Sunday morning was a peaceful one. Father Barton, who came of a good old family of Lancashire Catholics, was a native of Liverpool. He was educated at St. Edward's R.C. College, Liverpool, and succeeded Dean Gillow at Ramsey in 1900, previous to which he had ministered for a short time in the West Derby district of Liverpool, and had been for several years in Lancaster. He was hardworking and broad-minded, and took a deep interest in all his flock, by whom he was held in great affection, while he had the respect and esteem of all sections of the community. He was instrumental in building the fine Roman Catholic schools in Ramsey, and for some time prior to death had been engaged in raising funds for a new church in Ramsey to be dedicated to our Lady Star of the Sea, and it will be remembered that a bazaar with that object in view was held in August last year. The financial difficulties of the scheme had been surmounted, an architect of distinction had been entrusted with the preparation of plans. It was expected to have the foundation stone of the new building laid towards the end of the coming summer.
Mr Jas. Barton, of Welbank, Chorley, brother of the deceased, and Mrs Barton arrived on the Island last Monday to make the funeral arrangements. On Sunday, in the various churches of the town, there were sympathetic pulpit references to the death of Father Barton.
On Tuesday morning, there was a requiem mass celebrated by Dean Crookall (of Douglas) in St. Maughold's Church. The coffin containing deceased's remains was placed in the church, and the ceremony was a very impressive one. People of all classes filled the church, and there were many signs of mourning, the blinds of most houses in the town being drawn. After mass, the coffin was left on the cetafalque in the church, and many persons availed themselves of the permis sion granted to view the body. At night the coffin was removed to St. Mary's Church, Douglas, where there was requiem mass early on Wednesday. Subsequently the coffin was taken to the steamer for conveyance to Chorley, via Liverpool. The interment was in the family vault at St. Gregory's Chapel, Welbank, on Thursday.
Died January 6th, 1908.
We regret to record the death of Mr Edmund Chadwick, which took place on Jan. 6th. As a public man, Mr Chadwick was remarkable for his clear-sightedness, his resolute determination, and his honesty of purpose. As a member of the Town Board, his practical knowledge as a builder proved extremely useful to him and his colleagues, and the ratepayers generally reaped the advantage of it. He served continuously on the old Board of Commissioners and on the Douglas Town Council for 16½, years, namely, from April, 1888, to November, 1904. His work was more especially on the Highways and Improvement Committee the department of the Council which sees to the laying down of streets, the passing or rejection of plans of buildings, and so on. He was one of the first members elected on the Tramways Committee, and served on it up to his retirement. He was also on the special committee appointed to consider and negotiate for the purchase of the Tramways undertaking, and, along with the ex-Alderman Goldsmith, the late Mayor, Mr Cubbon, and other members, he went into the matter very closely. He also took a constant interest in the important schemes for town sewerage, and was one of those who clung most closely to a gravitation system for Douglas. When driven from this position by the unanimous verdict of the experts, he advocated the use of Shone's Ejector. On the death of Mr R. H. Cubbon, in 1904, Mr Chadwick, who had acted as his deputy, succeeded to the highest civic post, and would no doubt have been re-elected for a full term of office as Mayor of the Borough but for his rejection in the election which followed in November. He refused ever after his defeat to have anything more to do with public life. In his own affairs, Mr Chadwick was a man of great enterprise and sagacity. He interested himself particularly in providing small cottages for working men. He and his friend and fellow-Councillor, Mr James Craine, built Falcon-street between them. Mr Chadwick also built the imposing block of buildings between Athol-street and Parr's Bank at the time when the Prospect Hill improvement was carried out.
With painful regret and happy memory I read of the death of Mr Edmund Chadwick, whose friendship I was fortunate to possess nearly twenty years ago. Subsequently he earned distinction in municipal affairs, and held the confidence and affection of his fellow-citizens, but my experience of him was in less strenuous matters in a lighter, and, I think, a happier atmosphere. He was a thoroughly " good sport." In the palmy days of the Douglas Football Club, when Arthur Paul and the brothers Penketh were the "shining lights" of the team, Edmund Chadwick was one of the club's most zealous and generous supporters. Along with the late Philip Killey, junr., Harry Marsden, and W. D. Cowin, he was for years a valued member of the committee, and many a happy time we had fighting our battles over again, and hatching fresh plans for the discomfiture of our friendly foes; and when there was any work to be done we never appealed in vain to him; his time and experience were ever at our service. The survivors of " The Fossils" will recall with unmixed feelings the gatherings round the late John Gilbert's festive board, and the scarcely less convivial joys of the Quarter Bride. "There were giants in those days." May the earth rest lightly on Edmund Chadwick ! In him the town of Douglas lost a faithful friend and an honest counsellor, and it is safe to say that " no man got rid of an enemy." Whether in politics, in business, or in sport, his sympathy and good-will wore ever for those who " played the game."
J. C. K.
Died April 5th, 1908.
An Australian newspaper gives the following particulars concerning the late Mr Henry Karran, a native of the Isle of Man, who was brother to Mrs Carine, Shenvalla, Four Roads, Port St. Mary, and who was lost off Kangaroo Island, April 5th last, in the 57th year of his age: "Mr Karran was converted at the age of 19 during a revival in the Howe Wesleyan Church, Isle of Man, and from that time on lived a God-fearing, consistent life. Two hymns which were great favourites with him at the time of his conversion were 423, Methodist Hymn Book, 'Thou Shepherd of Israel and mine,' and Songs and Solos, 210, 'It is well with my soul.' Ten years after his conversion he came to South Australia, and started farming at Inkerman, near Port Wakefield. A series of dry seasons forced him to leave the farm, and with four others he started for Kimberley gold-fields overland, enduring almost incredible hardships on the way. Arrived there in 1887. While on Kimberley, he was the means of reclaiming a backslider a man who was injured in a drunken brawl and afterwards died. Karran made his coffin, the first that had been made on the Kimberley, and afterwards read the burial service over the body. He was in the habit of holding religious meetings in his tent, and in every way tried to do good to his fellows. In 1890 he came , Glenelg, joined the Bath Street Church, and maintained his connection with it untill the time of his death. In 1895, he went to Kalgoorlie, and was the right-hand man of the Revs Thos. Allen and A. J. Burt in their work for Christ among the miners. From Kalgoorlie he went to the Murchison, and in 1898 he returned to Glenelg and took charge of the cutter Wanderer, which he niloted till she went down in the storm in April last. Wherever he went he took his Bible and his hymn-book with him, and never missed attending the house of prayer, sometimes walking 14 miles a day to attend the services. He left a fine example of Christian character to his family, all of whom have enlisted under the banner of Christ, and hope to meet their loved one in the land where all tears are wiped away. On Easter Monday evening, prior to leaving home on the trip which proved to be his last, he sang with his family the `Manx Fisher-man's Hymn' (No. 947, M.H.B.), which was one of his favourites. A very impressive memorial service, conducted by Rev I. Rooney, was held in the Bath-street Church, August 18th, 1907."
There passed away on January 1st, at his late residence, 404 E. 42nd-street, William Kneen, a charter member of the Sons of Mona Society of Chicago, and its first treasurer. Deceased, who was born in the village of Ballaugh, Isle of Man, and was a successful contractor, had been a resident of Chicago 35 years, and was held in high esteem by a wide circle of friends. He is survived by a widow and five children. The funeral service was held on January 4th, at the Church of the Transfiguration, the Rev H. S. Webster officiating, and interment was at Oakwood Cemetery. " Western British American," Chicago.
Montreal mail advices to hand state that after a brief illness from heart trouble, the death took place of Captain John Andrew M'Master, at his residence, Westmount, at the age of sixty-one years, on Saturday, the 5th October. He was a native of Ramsey, and at an early age entered the service of the Allan Line as an officer on one of the liners sailing from Liverpool to Canada. About thirty years ago he commanded a steamer sailing between Newfoundland and the St. Lawrence, and in later years was engaged in carrying out contracts for the large Transatlantic lines sailing to Montreal.
DEATH OF A DOUGLAS YOUNG MAN AT SAN FRANCISCO. The sad news reached Douglas early this week of the death, in San Francisco, of Mr Robert Stephen Halsall, fourth son of the late Mr Robert Halsall, clothier, of Strand-street. The deceased, who was only 24 years, served his apprenticeship as a joiner in Douglas, and about 14 months ago left the Island with his brother Albert. He was recently attacked with pneumonia, and after five weeks' illness, peacefully passed away on Nov. 29th. The following letter has been received: (Abridged) " For about a week Stephen was lying in a state between life and death, apparently getting no worse, and still getting no better. We were hoping against hope for a change for the better, but, alas! we were disappointed. His fine constitution stood him in good stead, and kept him up considerably, and had it not been for the fever keeping up all the time and gradually wearing him out, his constitution would have pulled him through. All that remained of our dear brother Stephen passed away from this world of worry and trouble on Friday, Nov. 29th, 1907. The minister of our church visited him many times while he was ill, and many other people showed their sympathy by bringing him flowers, etc. The funeral took place at Mount Olivet Cemetery, which is about 10 miles out of San Francisco, on Sunday, December lst. There was a large number of friends at the service, together with the members of the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners, who were about 60 strong. The remainder was made up with the Westminster Young Men's Club, friends from the church, and others. The casket was covered with wreaths and flowers, sent by his many friends. Three of his workmates and three young fellows from Grace Church acted as bearers, and everybody acted with great kindness and respect. Amongst those present were many Manx people who live in or about San Francisco. Amongst these were Miss A. Skinner, Mr and Mrs Kinrade, Mr Taubman, and Mr Kelly; and they all extend their sympathy to you all at home."
The Rev Theophilus Talbot, of Osborne-terrace, Douglas, died at his residence on Thursday, March 12th. He had for a long time been in failing health, and for a fortnight before death was confined to his bed. Mr Talbot was an octogenarian, but to the end he was vigorous in mind, and up to a few months ago was active in body. Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist minister, Mr Talbot nearly forty years ago severed his connection with that church and entered the Church of England. On the 21st December, 1869, he was ordained deacon by the late Bishop Powys, and on the 30th Nov., 1871, he was priested at Bishop's Court Chapel. Upon ordination as deacon he was appointed curate of German, and on the 13th July, 1874, he was preferred to the chaplaincy of St. Olave's, Ramsey. He did not, however, hold the living for long, as he retired with a view to devoting himself to literary and antiquarian research, and came to reside in Douglas. He was probably the highest authority on questions of Manx history and archaeology, and he was frequently occupied in exposing errors made by writers upon these subjects. Indeed it must be admitted that Mr Talbot ruthlessly destroyed some of the most cherished Manx traditions in his zeal for historical accuracy he was a perfect iconoclast. A man of scholarly attainments and wide reading, he was a living example of his favourite definition of a man of culture he knew something about everything and everything about something. His views upon religion were exceedingly broad, and he was a hearty hater of shams of all descriptions. Mr Talbot was married to a daughter of the late Mr George Crebbin, merchant, Duke-street, Douglas, and it may be mentioned that Mrs Talbot was grand-daughter to the late Rev Charles Crebbin, first incumbent of St. George's, Douglas. She predeceased her husband, leaving one daughter, who survives her parents. Mr Talbot was a large shareholder in the Douglas Gaslight Company and the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. He was the possessor of a large and valuable library, and it is highly probable that this will in due course be handed over to the town of Douglas.
Died April 7th, 1907.
By the death of Mrs Douglas there has been removed from Castletown one who was most kind and generous in her gifts to the poor and sick in the town and district. It was only necessary to bring a deserving case to her notice to ensure everything being sent to the sick one, as regards suitable food and requisites for the comfort and use of the invalid; while the work Mrs Douglas did with her needle, as day after day and year after year she with untiring industry made things for soldiers and others, was a marvel to all who knew her. Possessed of a considerable income, she spent very little for her own personal gratification, devoting the greater part of her money to charitable and philanthropic, purposes, and like Dorcas of Bible fame, Mrs Douglas was " full of good works and almsdeeds which she did." Many to-day mourn her loss with the knowledge that her place in the town will be very difficult to fill, and even doubt if any person will ever again do so well the kind of work she did. Mrs Douglas must have begun her unselfish labours on behalf of the poor and sick very early in life, for the late Canon Ferrier, of Castletown, used to speak of her as an active worker in her father's parish (the Rev S. Butler) in Southampton, when Mr Ferrier was a curate in that town, from 1853-55; and it is well-known how, during an epidemic of cholera in Southampton, Mrs Douglas (then Miss Butler) went into houses where few would dare to go, attending to the wants of those who were stricken with that dread disease, exhibiting some of that daring and courage which won for her brother, Major Butler, the Victoria Cross. Mrs Douglas came to Castletown in 1880; upwards of 27 years ago, being at that time a widow with two children, a. son, who died in 1888, and a daughter, who is the respected wife, of Col. Moore, M.H.K., of the Great Meadow. But Mrs Douglas' family connections with the Isle of Man date back to a much earlier period in Manx history, as the grandfather of the mother of Mrs Douglas (Robert Thistlethwayte, of Southwick Park, Hampshire, who was M.P. for Hants. for more than 20 years) was married to a sister of the Duchess of Athole, who was Queen and Lady of Man, the second Duke of Athole, her husband, being the owner and Ruler of the Kingdom of Man in those days_ These Thistlethwaytes, it would appear, were a very old family, for an extract from the British Museum says, A.D. 800, "The pedigree of the Thistlethwayte Family in the male line is direct from Charlemagne."
The remains of the late Mrs Douglas were taken to Edinburgh on Thursday, the 9th April, for interment at the Dean Cemetery, where her husband, Mr Robert Douglas, of Douglas Park, Orbiston, was buried.
The " North Otago Times " of the 17th September last, contains the following obituary notice of Mrs Garrow, the wife of Mr Jas. Garrow, whom many in this Island will remember was at one time Surveyor-General of Highways, and who emigrated to New Zealand in 1877: "The death of another early settler of the district is announced to-day, that of Mrs Sarah Gordon Garrow, of Ardgowan, in her 80th year. The deceased, with her husband, came to the colony by the ship Auckland in 1877, arriving at Port Chalmers. Shortly after their arrival they came to this district with their family and settled at Richmond, where Mr Garrow purchased a farm. After residing there for some years, Mr Garrow bought a farm from the Land Company on Ardgowan, and there he has since resided with his wife and family. Although Mrs Garrow has passed away at the ripe age of 80 years, all who knew her will regret to hear of her death.