Ballasalla Methodist Chapels

Ballasalla (Bridge Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel,1833

Ballasalla (Bridge Road)

Site bought for £7 from John Cubbon and Isabella Cubbon (of Ballasalla) - deed dated 6 Jan 1833.

Closed by 1949 though used as Sunday Schools until 1975 after which left empty until sale completed in 1980 for £8500; seats, pulpit and choir pews transferred to Ballafesson; now used as store

Grid Reference SC281703

1833 Trustees (ref MM MD 717/18):

Iin 1851 trustees borrowed £33 from Thomas Bridson tailor of St Marks, named as
John Kewin x; Charles Preston x; Thomas Quine, Robert Fargher, John Gill, Henry Welch, James Wallace, John Macdonnald x, William Shimmin, John Clague, James Skinner x; John Callister

In 1868 new trustees appointed as only Thomas Quine, mason, Ballasalla left -


Ballasalla (Wesley) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1797

Now Scout Hall (though somewhat modified)

Grid Reference SC280702


Ballasalla (Wesley) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1893

Ballasalla (Wesley)

Closed 1980; demolished 1981 as building unsafe - built from rendered 'swaddler' stone (poor quality limestone) which due to failure of rendering had 'dissolved' - reading architect's report it would appear that the building had received little maintenance for some years.

Site now partly occupied by houses

Grid Reference SC281701

 Chapel Index

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 1999