[Fom Manx Soc vol 29]
[FPC: note the names of the early Bishops are very uncertain and much is certainly in error]
GERMANUS A.D. 447. Was the first 1 bishop appointed to the See of Sodor and Man by St. Patrick.2 He was a holy and prudent man; a Canon of the Lateran.
St. German, in honour of whom is dedicated the Cathedral Church of Man, died in the lifetime of St. Patrick,3 A.D. 474.
CONINDRIUS A.D. 474. Consecrated by St. Patrick. Nothing appears to be known of him but his name.
ROMMUS Prior to 493. Consecrated by St. Patrick. Romulus died in 498.
MAUGHOLD 4 A.D. 498; called also MACHUTUS and MACHILLA. Was chosen bishop by the universal consent of the Manx Church, A.D. 498 to 518. The church at Maughold is dedicated to him the place where it is said he landed, manacled, in a small boat from Ireland.
LOMANUS A.D. 518. A nephew of St. Patrick, the son of Tygrida, one of his holy sisters, and said to be the first bishop of Trim in Ireland. In honour of him the parish church of Kirk Lonan is dedicated.
CONAGHAN A.D. 540.
MAROWN After whom the parish church at Marown was named. His date appears to be uncertain.
CONANLUS A.D. 600. He died 26th January, A.D. 648. He had the tuition of Eugenius, King of Scotland, and his three sons. A law is said to have been ordained by him that the heirs-apparent of Scotland should be educated in this island, under the eye of its bishops for the time being.
CONTENTUS, called also RANTANTUS A.D. 648. The Welsh line of kings ruled in Man at this period.
BALDUS or BALDINUS His date is uncertain.
MALCHUS His date is uncertain.
There is no recorded account after this until Brandon in 1025. Torkinus,who lived A.D. 880, was Bishop of Sodor, but that see was not united to Man Until A.D. 1098. He is given as Bishop of Man by Bishop Hildesley and Mr. Train. It is to the annals of Wales that we must look for the succession of Bishops of Man, for the princes of that nation long held sway over the island during this period.5
BRANDON, BRANDINUS, or BRANDANUS A.D. 1025. In his honour the Parish Church of Braddan is dedicated. He died in the Isle of Man.
ROOLWER A.D. 1050. He is the first bishop mentioned in the Chronicle of Man, in which it is stated " we are entirely ignorant who or what were bishops before Roolwer's time."' He lies buried in the Church of St. Maughold.
WILLIAM A.D. 1065.
HAMOND A.D. 1077. Johnstone calls him Ammond M'Olave, and says he was bishop at the time of the Norwegian conquest. Stubbs, in his Peg. Sac. Ang. calls him M`Aulay, and considers him to be the same as Wymund.
WYMUND or REYMUNDUS or HAYMUND, also by some called VERMUNDUS A.D. 1100. Son of Jole, a Manxman. Roger of Wendover calls him the first bishop, meaning after the See of Man was united with that of the Isles.7 He had been a monk at Savigny, and at the same time priest in the Isle of Skye, then at Furness ; he was consecrated by Archbishop Thomas at York, but at what date appears uncertain. He led an eventful life, and after his elevation to the bishopric he assumed the name of Mac Heth, became a pretender to the Scottish crown, and, being too overbearing, he was expelled and his eyes put out. 8 Matthew Paris says that he died in 1151 ; but Skene, in his Highlanders of Scotland, vol. ii. pp. 165-167, says that he retired in that year to the monastery of Biland in Yorkshire, and was living in 1157. Biland was a kind of penal settlement for great criminals who were difficult to deal with. Some writers doubt if this warrior bishop was the same personage as " the son of Jole." 9
NICHOLAS A.D. 1134. Abbot of Furness in Lancashire. Olave I., King of Man, wrote to Thurstan, Archbishop of York, asking him to consecrate the bishop elect.10 He is called Eudo, Abbot of the monastery of Furness, in the letter printed in Oliver's Monumenta, vol. vii. p. 5, Manx Society's Series.
JOHN A.D. 1151. A monk of Sais in Normandy, probably from the abbey of Savigny, who was buried in St. German's Cathedral, A.D. 1153 11 He was consecrated by Henry M'Murdoch who was Archbishop of York from 1147 to 1153.
REGINALD A. D. 1152. Most likely consecrated in Norway. In 1158 Godred was expelled by Somerled, who retired to Norway and died in 1170, to which place probably Reginald retired.12
GAMALIEL A.D. 1154. An Englishman, consecrated by Roger, Archbishop of York, in 1154.13 He died in 1181, and was buried in the abbey at Peterborough. In 1154, November 30, by the Bull of Anastasius IV., the See of Man was annexed to Drontheim, and remained for upwards of four centuries, long after the suzerainty of Norway over Man had passed away.
REGINALD A.D. 1181. A Norwegian, consecrated at Drontheim. It was to him the thirds of all the livings in the island were granted by the clergy, that they might thence be free from any episcopal exactions.
CHRISTIAN A.D. 1190. A native of Argyleshire, who was buried in the monastery of Bangor in Ireland. Supposed to be expelled by Godred after the fall of Somerled. Munch.
MICHAEL A. D. 1195. A Manxman, " a person of irreproachable life and distinguished merits; a monk in deed as well as in habit. He ended his days at a good old age, and is honourably interred at Fountains."14 Died in 1203.
NICHOLAS A.D. 1203. There appears much confusion respecting the time of this bishop, as will be seen on reference to Oliver's Monumenta, vol. ii., and the notes in Dr. Goss' Chronicle, vol. i. p. 241. Manx Society, pp. 19 and 49.
NICHOLAS DE MEAUX A.D. 1213. Of Argyle, Abbot of Furness.15 He lies buried in the abbey of Bangor in Ireland, and is said to have died in 1217, but this is evidently an error. Willis, in his Survey of the Cathedral of Man,16 says, " He then only resigned his bishopric, for in the Monasticon he occurs, anno. 1227 (1226, August 4) by the name of N. quondam Manniae et Insularum Episcopas, as witness to a charter of Stainfield Priory."17 In a letter of Pope Honorius III., in 1224, to the Archbishop of York (Walter Grey), he applied to the pope for permission to render up his charge. See Oliver's Monumenta, vol. ii. p. 67.18
REGINALD A.D. 1217. A person of royal extraction, nephew to Kings Reginald and Olave, was consecrated this year by the Archbishop of York, and though labouring under constant infirmity, he governed the diocese with' prudence and energy. He died in 1226, and was buried in the abbey of Rushen.
JOHN A.D. 1226. Son of Hefare, who, by the negligence of his servants, perished by fire. He was buried at Jervaux Abbey, Yorkshire. He witnessed a deed of Archbishop Walter Grey in 1230, in which year he was burnt.
SIMON A.D. 1228 ; or, according to the death of his predecessor, 1230. An Argyle man, who governed the church with prudence and piety. He held a synod in 1229, in which thirteen canons were enacted.19 He died at his palace in Kirk Michael in 1247, and was buried in St. German's Cathedral, which he had begun to rebuild. 20 "After his death the see was vacant for nearly six years." Vide Chronicle, p. 117; in which it is also said he died in the eighteenth year of his episcopate. This agrees with the year 1230.
LAWRENCE A.D. 1247. The archdeacon was elected bishop; and being at the time on attendance upon Harold, King of the Isles, in Norway, who, on his return, along with the king, his queen Cecilia, and almost all the nobility of the Isles, was drowned in Sumburgh Roost, A.D. 1248, so that the see remained vacant almost six years, occasioned by disputes. As he never had possession, his name does not occur in the Rushen Catalogue.
RICHARD A.D. 1253. An Englishman, was consecrated at Rome by the Archbishop Serlo of Drontheim, and governed the diocese for twenty-one years. He consecrated the Abbey Church of St. Mary of Rushen in 1257. Returning from the General Council in the year 1274 he died at Langalyver 21 in Copeland, and was buried in the Abbey of St. Mary of Furness. 22 Stubbs says that Richard died in 1275, and was buried March 25. He was Canon of St. Andrews in Scotland. A letter of Innocent IV. notifying the consecration of Richard Manx Society, vol. xxiii. p. 315.
MARK A.D. 1275. A Galloway man, on the nomination of Alexander, King of Scotland, consecrated by John, Archbishop of Drontheim. He was driven out by the Manxmen, for which the Island was placed under an interdict for three years ; and being recalled, he laid a "smoke penny" upon every house with a fireplace, by way of commutation, which continues to this day. He held a synod at Braddan Church, March 10, 1291, in which thirty-five canons were enacted.23 He died in 1303, at a good old age, when he had become blind, and was buried in St. German's Cathedral, in Peel Castle, without any memorial. His signature is to a letter to King Edward, A.D. 1289. Oliver's Monumenta, ii. p. 106; also at p. 133 of the same. Dated "A.D. 1299, and 23d of our consecration."
MAURITIUS A.D. 1305. According to Bishop Wilson, was sent a prisoner to London by Edward I. in this year.
ALEN or ONACHUS A.D. 1305. A Galloway man; died on the 15th February 1321, and was buried at Rothesay in Bute. He had been appointed Vicar of Arbory in 1295 ; was consecrated in 1305 by the Archbishop of Drontheim. He was bishop when Robert Bruce reconquered the Island in 1313. He governed the church of Sodor creditably and with honour.
JOHN A.D. 1316. He is named as bishop in this year. See letters of protection for him 24th October. 10 Edward II. Oliver's Monumenta, vol. ii. p. 168. Manx Society's Series, vol. xiii.
GILBERT A.D. 1321. M'Lellan, a Galloway man, was bishop for six years. He died 1327, and was also buried at Rothesay. Consecrated in Norway. He was present at Glasgow in July 1327, as Bishop of Sodor or the Isles.
BERNARD A.D. 1328. De Linton in Roxburghshire, a Scotch man. He died 1333, and was buried at the Abbey of Arbroath, in Scotland, where he had been abbot from 1309-1328. He was consecrated in Norway, A.D. 1329. He was held in great esteem by Robert Bruce, who often resided with him at his Abbey of Arbroath. In 1329, as Bishop of Sodor, he witnessed a charter granted by King Robert Bruce to the city of Glasgow.24
THOMAS A.D. 1333. A Scotchman, in whose time the Island was conquered from the Scotch by the English,25 and was the last bishop appointed by the Scotch. He was the first that exacted twenty shillings for visitation dues, likewise the tenths of all aliens. He sat bishop fourteen years, and died on the 21st September 1348, and was buried at the Abbey of Scone in Scotland, while on a visit to Scotland.
WILLIAM RUSSELL A.D. 1348. A Manxman, Abbot of Rushen, was elected by the clergy of Man in St. Germans Cathedral, in Peel Castle. He was consecrated by Bertrand de Poyet. the Cardinal Bishop of Ostia, about May 1349, and not, as is stated in the Chronicle, by Pope Clement VI. He was the first Sodor bishop confirmed by the Apostolic See, former bishops being confirmed by the Archbishops of Drontheim. He held a synod at Kirk Michael in 1350, at which five canons were enacted.26 He founded, A.D. 1373, at Bemachen, in Kirk Arbory, a house of minor friars. He died 21st April 1374, at Ramshead, in Lancashire, and was buried in the Abbey of Furness. He was Abbot of Rushen eighteen years, and bishop twenty-six years.27
JOHN DUNKAN A.D. 1374. A Manxman; was, on Thursday the 1st June 1374, elected by the clergy of the city and diocese of Sodor and Man, and on the 6th November following, by provision of Pope Gregory XI., consecrated at Avignon. He was arrested at Boulogne, and kept a prisoner for more than one year, and had to be ransomed. He was installed in St. Germans Cathedral, January 25, 1376, receiving many great offerings. He is the last bishop recorded in the Chronicle of Man, and was also the last Manxman who presided over the See of Man. He was translated to Down in 1394, and had been a priest of the church of Camelyn, in the diocese of Down, also archdeacon in the province of Ulster. Henry IV. appointed him seneschal of Ulster. He died in 1412 28From this time the Bishops of Man were the nominees of the lord of the Island, having been subject to English rule for nearly a century, and separated from the Sudreys or Scottish Isles.
ROBERT WELBY or WALDBY A.D. 1395. Born in York and educated at Oxford. How long he was bishop appears uncertain.29 Keith says he was translated to Dublin; and in 1396 he is named as Archbishop of York. The Island was at this time in possession of the English, the bishop retaining the title of " Sodor and Man."
JOHN SPROTTON A.D. 1402. The first bishop mentioned in the insular records. The patronage of the see was vested in Sir John Stanley.30
MICHAEL A.D. 1409. He is said to have succeeded John Sprotton in the See of Man.
RICHARD PULLEY A.D. 1423. He held a visitation this year, 1429, at Halland Towne (Peel), as appears in Mill's Statutes, p. 13.31 Canons which were framed by him are given in the Monasticon. At a court held at Kirk-Michael in 1422, the Bishop of Man is called upon " to doe his faith and fealtie unto the Lord."
JOHN GREEN A.D. 1448. Vicar of Dunchurch, in Warwickshire, 1414, which he held with his bishopric. He died in 1452.
THOMAS BURTON A.D. 1452. A Franciscan, held the see only five years, and not twenty-eight years, as stated by Cumming. He died in March 1457.
THOMAS KIRKHAM A.D. 1458. Abbot of Vale Royal, in Cheshire; elected bishop June 21, 1458.32 He died 1480, and was buried at Vale Royal.
RICHARD OLDHAM A.D. 1481. Abbot of Chester. He died September 19, 1486, and was buried in the abbey at Chester.
HUGH HESKETII A D. 1487. The third son of Robert Hesketh of Rufford, co. Lancaster. His elder brother Richard was attorney-general to Henry VIII., and died 1520. The bishop was his executor, and proved his will 13th November 1520. Thomas, Earl of Derby, in a deed dated March 28, 1505, confirmed to him and his successors all the lands and possessions of his bishopric. 33 He was appointed by the said Thomas, Earl of Derby, one of his executors, in 1531. He was buried in his cathedral in Peel Castle; no memorial over his remains. He was bishop for 45 years. He is called Huan Blackleach in Le Neve, from the place of his nativity in Lancashire.
JOHN A.D. 1532. (CAMPBELL?) An indenture, under date 31st July 1532, between "John, Bishop of Soder and the Isle of Man," Edward, Earl of Derby and others, respecting corbes, etc., is given in Mill's Statutes, pp. 29-32, but it is copied very incorrectly from the original in the Rolls Office.
THOMAS STANLEY A.D. 1542. A son of Sir Edward Stanley, first Lord Monteagle, of Hornby Castle, co. Lancaster. He held the rectory of Wigan and other preferments. The Statute of 33 Henry VIII. (1542) was passed, dissevering the Isle of Man from Canterbury, and annexing it to York. The bishop, not complying with the measures contained therein, was deprived in 1545. It was not in Henry's patronage, so he had no grounds for his interference.
ROBERT FERRAR or FERRIER A.D. 1545. He had been chaplain to Archbishop Cranmer in 1533. He was translated to St. David's in 1546. On Mary's accession to the crown he was condemned as a heretic and burnt at the Market Cross, Caermarthen, March 30, 1555. [FPC He was almost certainly not a Bishop the attribution to Sodor being a mis-reading]
HENRY MANN A.D. 1546. Dean of Chester; on the king's (Henry VIII.) nomination was appointed bishop, January 22, 1546. He was consecrated by Paul Bash, first Bishop of Bristol. He died, and was buried in St. Andrew's Under-shaft Church, in London, with this epitaph,"
HENRY MAN, Doctor in Divinity in the University of Oxford, and some-time Bishop of Man; which Henry departed this life Oct. 17, 1556, and lyeth buried under this stone."
THOMAS STANLEY A.D. 1556. Was restored by Queen Mary, and continued till his death in 1570.34 He was also Rector of Winwick, in Lancashire. He was appointed Governor of the Island in 1556. Becoming Lord Monteagle, on the death of his father, it is said he resigned the bishopric.
JOHN SALISBURY A.D. 1570. Dean of Norwich, Chancellor of Lincoln and Archdeacon of Anglesea. He died in September 1573, and was buried in Norwich Cathedral. The see con-tinued vacant about three years. See the order for his confirmation, 29th September 1570. Oliver's Monumenta, vol. iii. ; Manx Society, vol. ix. p. 56.
JOHN MERRICK A.D. 1575. Vicar of Hornchurch, in Essex, nominated by Henry, Earl of Derby, consecrated at Lambeth, April 15, 1576, on account of York being vacant, and installed bishop 1577. He gave Camden the History of the Isle of Man, published in his Britannia. He died November 7, 1599, in Yorkshire.
GEORGE LLOYD A.D. 1600. Rector of Heswall, Cheshire, who was translated January 14, 1604, to the See of Chester. He died in 1615, and was buried in the cathedral 34 near Bishop Downham.
JOHN PHILLIPS A.D. 1604. Rector of Hawarden, Flintshire, Archdeacon of Cleveland and Man, was consecrated February 10, 1604. He was a native of North Wales, and is said to have translated the Bible and Prayer Book into Manx. He was famed for his charity and hospitality. He died August 7, 1633, and was buried in St. Germans Cathedral without any memorial.
WILLIAM FORSTER A.D. 1633. Fellow of Catherine College, Cambridge, and Prebendary of Chester, presented by the Earl of Derby, and was consecrated March 9, 1633. He held a court at Douglas in October 1634; and dying February 23, 1635, was buried at Barrow, Cheshire, where he was rector.
RICHARD PARR A.D. 1635. A Lancashire man, Fellow of Brazennose College, Oxford, Rector of Eccleston, Lancashire, was consecrated June 10, 1635. He died 23d March 1643, and was buried in Bishop Phillip's grave in St. Germans Cathedral, without any memorial. His see was sequestrated in 1643. During the Rebellion the see was vacant about seventeen years.
SAMUEL RUTTER A.D. 1661. He was chaplain to James, seventh Earl of Derby, and was present with his countess at the memorable siege of Lathom House in 1644. He was arch deacon, and consecrated bishop, October 8, 1661. He died, and was buried in the centre of St. Germans Cathedral in Peel Castle, with the following inscription in brass 35 on his tombstone:-
In hac domo quam A vermiculis
accepi confratribus meis spe
Resurrectionis ad vitam
Jaceo SAM : Permissione divina
Episcopus Huius Insulae
Siste Lector-Vide: ac Ride
Obijt : xxx° die mensis Maij, Anno 1662.
Round the edge of the stone, in raised letters, is
OF SODOR AND MAN
ISAAC BARROW A.D. 1663. Was consecrated bishop, July 5, and acted as Governor under Charles, Earl of Derby. He was a great promoter of learning amongst the clergy of Man. He was translated to St. Asaph in 1669, but was permitted to govern until 1671. He died at Shrewsbury, June 24, 1680.
Bishop Barrow's remains were deposited in the Cathedral Churchyard at St. Asaph, on the South Side of the west door, on whose stone are the following :
ISAACI, Asaphensis Episcopi,
Obiit dictus reverendus Pater
Festo Divi Johannis Baptistae,
Anno Domini 1680 ; at. 67,
et translationis suæ undecimo.
and on a brass plate
Exuviae ISAACI, Asaphensis Episcopi,
in manum Domini depositae,
in spem letæ resurrectionis,
per sola Christi merita,
O vos, transeuntes
in Domum Domini, Domum Orationis,
orate pro conservo vestro,
ut inveniat misericordiam in Die Domini.
HENRY BRIDGEMAN A.D 1671. Of Brazennose College, Oxford, created D. D. in 1660, Dean of Chester and Rector of Bangor, Flintshire, was consecrated at Chester, October 1, 1671. He died May 18, 1682, and was buried in Chester Cathedral.
JOHN LAKE A.D. 1682. Archdeacon of Cleveland, was consecrated in December 1682. In August 1684 he was translated to Bristol, and again in 1685 to Chichester. He died August 30, 1689. He was buried in St. Botolph's, Bishopsgate Church, London, without any memorial. He was one of the seven bishops committed to the tower by James II.
BAPTIST LEVINZ A.D. 1684. Prebendary in the Church of Wells, and of Winchester, consecrated March 15, 1684. He was installed in the Cathedral 5th August 1685. He died January 31, 1692, and was buried in Winchester Cathedral, 36 aged 49. The see was vacant five years.37
THOMAS WILSON .A.D. 1697-98. This venerable prelate was born at Burton, in the Hundred of Wirral, Cheshire, on the 20th December 1663. He was consecrated January 16, 1697, and on the 11th April was installed in St. German's Cathedral, and died March 7, 1755, aged 93 years, and was buried at Kirk Michael. The tomb of Bishop Wilson, of black marble, is situated a short distance from the east end of the chancel of the old church, with the following inscription :
Sleeping in Jesus, here lieth the body of
THOMAS WILSON, D.D., Lord Bishop of this Isle,
who died March 7, 1755,
Aged 93, and in the 58th year of his Consecration.
This Monument was erected
by his Son, Thomas Wilson, D.D., a native of this Parish,
who, in obedience to the express commands of his Father,
declines giving him the character he so justly deserved.
Let this Island speak the rest !
MARK HILDESLEY A.D. 1755. Under his auspices the Manx version of the Bible was completed. He died 7th December 1772, and was buried at Michael. In the churchyard of Kirk Michael, near the tomb of Bishop Wilson, are these inscriptions:
the remains of Elizabeth Hildesley
Wife of the Right Rev. Father in God,
Mark Hildesley, D.D., -
Lord Bishop of Sodor and Mann ;
who departed this life, Feb. 27, 1763.
As also of the Right Rev. Father in God,
MARK, by Divine permission
Lord Bishop of Sodor and Mann, D.D.,
who departed this life Dec. 7, 1772,
in the 17th year of his Consecration,
and 74th of his age.
RICHARD RICHMOND A.D. 1773. He died in London, February 4, 1780.
GEORGE MASON A.D. 1780. He died in 1783, December 8, at Bishops' Court, and was buried at Kirk Michael.
CLAUDIUS CREGAN A.D. 1784. He was nominated by the Dowager Duchess of Atholl during the minority of her son, and was consecrated February 20, 1784. He died , and was buried at Kirk Michael. The inscription on his tombstone is quite obliterated. On his death the appointment was kept open till his successor was of age for consecration.
HON. GEORGE MURRAY A.D. 1813. Second son of Lord George Murray, Bishop of St. David's, and nephew to John, fourth Duke of Atholl, was consecrated in April 1813. He was installed at St. George's Church, Douglas, April 1814. He was translated to Rochester in 1827.
WILLIAM WARD A.D. 1827. Rector of Great Hawkesley, Essex. He was the means of adding largely to the church accommo-dation of the Island, by raising £8000 in England and £4000 in the Island, by which eight new churches were erected and others enlarged. He also greatly promoted the erection of King William's College. He died at Great Hawkesley, January 26, 1838.
JAMES BOWSTEAD A.D. 1838. Rector of Rettenden, Essex. He was the first nominee of the British Crown, and was installed in St. Mary's Chapel, Castletown, September 5, 1838. Translated to Lichfield in 1840.
HENRY PEPYS A.D. 1840. Brother to Lord Chancellor Cottenham. Installed at Castletown, May 8, 1840. Translated to Worcester in 1841.
THOMAS VOWLER SHORT A.D. 1841. Rector of St. George's, Bloomsbury. Installed at Castletown, July 25, 1841. In 1846 he was translated to St. Asaph.
WALTER AUGUSTUS SHIRLEY A.D. 1847. Archdeacon of Derby, was installed at Castletown February 1, 1847. He had been appointed Bampton Lecturer for that year. Returning to Bishops' Court he died on the 21st April, after an episcopate of three months.
HON. ROBERT JOHN EDEN A.D. 1847. Youngest son of William, first Lord Auckland, born 10th July 1799. Fellow of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and Vicar of Battersea, Surrey. Installed at Castletown June 29, 1847. Succeeded to the peerage as third Lord Auckland, Ist January 1849. Translated to Bath and Wells 1854.
HON. HORATIO POWYS A.D. 1854. Third son of Lord Lilford, of the Welsh line of the Kings of Man, in the eighth and ninth century. He added greatly to the residence at Bishops' Court, and through his exertions the new chapel, as a memo rial to Bishop Wilson. He died at Bournemouth 31st May 1877.
ROWLEY HILL A.D. 1877. Born in 1836. Graduated at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1859. Consecrated August 1877, at York. Enthroned at Castletown 28th August 1877. Present bishop.
1 Amphibalus is reported by Hector Boetius to have been bishop about the year 360, but this is an error, and Spotiswood, Archbishop of St. Andrews, repeats it, without any authority.
2 Jocellin in Vita Patricii, Archbishop Usher's Annals.
3 St. Patrick died A.D. 493.
4 Keith, in his Catalogue of Scottish Bishops, gives the date of his death A.D. 618. Others assert that he died in 554.
5 See Rowland's Monastic Antiquities.
6 Perhaps some of the ancient records of Ireland may throw some light on this subject, as a continued succession of pastors from the time of St. Patrick came from that country. Also some of the annals of Wales may give information as to that period.
7 After the conquest of the Norwegians, Anne 1098, the two bishoprics of Seder and Man were united together, and the bishops succeeding bear the title of Seder and Man, and sometimes of the Isles.
8 See Chronicle of Man, Manx Society, vol. xxii., Dr. Goss' note, pp. 174-5.
9 See Oliver's Monumenta, vol. 1, p. 227. Manx Series.
10 This letter is printed in the Manx Society's Series, vol. xxiii. pp. 269-271
11 See Chronicle of Man, Manx Society, vol. xxii., note, p. 169.
12 See Dr. Goss, in the Manx Society's Series, vol. xxii. p. 238.
13 Roger, the Archbishop of York, was consecrated at Westminster, October 10, 1154. Vide Drakes Eboracum, p. 421.
14 Chronicle,' Manx Series, vol. xxii. p. 115, and p. 241, Dr. Goss' note C. See also Monumenta, vol. ii. Manx Society, vol. vii. pp. 38-39, for various articles left in his will to Bishop Nicholas his successor.
15 In the annals of the Abbey of Meaux (Melsa), published under the authority of the Master of the Rolls, says he was a monk of Meaux, then of Furness, and lastly Bishop of Man and the Isles.
16 Manx Society's Series, vol. xviii. p. 135.
17 In a document of King Reginald to Pope Honorius Ill., dated in London 22d September 1219, the Bishop of Bangor in Wales, one of the subscribing witnesses, is styled, "Official of Man." See Manx Society's Series, vol. xxiii, p. 292.
18 For a long note on this bishop, see Dr. Goss' edition of the Chronicle of Man, Manx Society, vol. xxii. pp. 241-2; also Olave Il., letter to the Dean of York to forward the consecration of the bishop elect. Manx Society, vol. xxiii. pp. 272-3.
19 These canons are given, with translations, in the Manx Society's Series, vol. xviii. pp. 49-52, and 173-176.
20 The remains of Bishop Simon were found in a recess on the north side of the chancel, and again replaced in an oak coffin, over which is a handsome stone with a moulded Latin cross down the entire length, on which is cut the following inscription :
" In repairing the ruins of Peel Castle in 1871, by the authority of H. B. Lock, C. B., Lieut.-Governor, the remains of SIMON, Bishop of Seder and Alan, and the Rebuilder of this Cathedral, were here discovered and reinterred. Ile died 28th February 1247, in the twenty-first year of his Episcopacy."
21 Langalyver is a manor in Cumberland.
22 See a charter of Magnus to the Bishops of Man, A.D. 1257, in Oliver's Aronumenta, vol. ii. p. 89-92. Manx Society, vol. vii. 1861.
23 These canons are given, with translations, in the Manx Society's Series, vol. xviii. pp. 52-65 and 176-188.
24 See an order to have his expenses paid on his accession. Manx Society's Series, vol. xxiii. p. 334.
25 In Oliver's Monumenta, vol. ii. pp. 185-91, respecting the arrest of Bishop Thomas at Carlisle on his way to Rome, 1340, being driven into the port of Lowytof, High Pirkell, 27th December 1340.
26 These canons are given in the Manx Society's Series, vol. xviii. pp. 65-69, and pp. 188-193.
27 In the Appendix, Nos. 30 to 33, pp. 344-356, in Dr. Goss' edition of the Chronicle of Man, are various documents connected with this bishop. Manx Society's Series, vol. xxiii., also in Nos. 38, 40, 41, pp. 378-384 same volume.
28 Letters.from Pope Urban V. to this bishop are given in the Appendix to Dr. Goss' edition of the Chronicle of Man, Nos. 39, 41, 42, 44, Manx Society's Series, vol. xxiii., also from Gregory XI., notifying his election to the see, November 6, A.D. 1374, pp. 394-400. Richard II. issued a commission, A.D.1388, July 14, to John Bishop of Seder, empowering him to treat with Godfrey, son of John, late Lord of the Isles, concerning various matters. Rymer's Fcedera, tom. vii. There is an issue Roll, 16 Richard II., October 15, 1392, addressed to John Bishop of Man, for money to be paid him for his charges in the affairs of the king with the Lord of the Isles. Oliver's Monumenta, vol. ii. p. 211.
29 There appears some uncertainty about Waldby. In Drake's Eboracum, London, 1736, it is stated that Edward the Black Prince bestowed on him the bishopric of Ayre in Aquitaine. Afterwards translated to Dublin in 1387, thence to Chichester, 1395, and in 1396 to York, and died 6th January 1397, and was buried in Westminster Abbey, and gives a plate of his effigy and epitaph, on which is Adurensis; this Godwin corrects to Sodorensis, and says he was Bishop of Man. Eboracum, p. 436. His epitaph is as follows
Hic fuit expertus in quovis jura ROBERTUS
DE WALDBY dictus, nunc est sub marmore strictus.
Sacræ scripturæ doctor fuit et geniturae ;
Ingenuus medicus et plebis semper amicus.
Præsul Adurensis, post haec archas Dublinensis,
Hinc Cicestrensis, tandem primas Eborensis,
Quarto Kalend Junij migravit cursibus anni
Milleni ter centum septem nonies quoque decem.
Vos precor orate quod sint sibi dona beatae
Cum sanctis vitæ requiescat, et hic sine lite.
It is, however, very doubtful if he was ever Bishop of Man.
30 See a declaration of this bishop and the clergy against the claim of Sir Stephen Le Strop, A.D. 1408. Oliver's Monumenta, vol. ii. pp. 247-250.
31 At which the Particles were ordained to the relief of poor scholars, and are now dealt into other uses by the fault of the bishop.
32 Pope Celestine III., by his Bull, dated at St. Peter's, June 11, 1458, made the cathedral church of Sodor, in the Isle of Man, subject to the archbishopric of York. Drake's Eboracum, p. 539. The bishopric of the Isles was made suffragan to St. Andrews, as its metropolitan, in 1472.
33 This deed is given in the Manx Society's Series, vol. xviii. pp. 146-148.
34 Monumenta vol. iii. ; Manx Society, pp. 53-57, vol. ix.
The inscription, which was formerly on a brass on his tomb, is given by Browne Willis. See Manx Society, vol. xviii. p. 151. In Chester Cathedral on a brass plate, long since stolen off his gravestone. :
Immatura mors hoc conclusit sepulcro cor. GEORGE LLOYD, cujus memoria reveretur Cestria ; natione fuit Cambr. educatione Cantabrig. Theologiæ Doctor, Theologorum Ductor; Sodorensi praeposuit, et profuit episcopat. quingennio praefectus pacto ; mater Angliae, repetiit prelem, et dignatus est sinu Episcopatus Cestr. ubi undecim messibus non sine procellis dolorum elapsis quinquagesimo quinto aetatis su, anno, et primo die mensis Angusti. An. Dom. 1615, lachrymatus lachrymandus obiit : nec pudet vitae, nec piget mortis.
35 This brass was missing for near a century, but in 1844 it was discovered in the well near the sallyport of the Castle, and was placed in its original position in 1875. Size of the brass 16½ inches by 8 inches. The brass containing the arms of the See is still missing,
36 For his epitaph, as given by Willis in his Survey of Cathedrals, see the Manx Society's Series, vol. xviii. p. 143.
37 During the vacancy, 1692-1697, the Cathedral was repaired at great expense, and new roofed, and covered with blue slate, all but the tower; so that the new seats in the chancel erected by Bishop Wilson are like to go to decay. Willis's Survey, 1727-30. Manx Society, vol. xviii. p. 148.
see also Bishops