[From Feltham's Tour, 1798]
This is the only inland parish in the island. It forms a sort of bason, being surrounded by hills, and bounded by Braddon, St. Ann, Malew, Patrick, and German; it is six miles from Peel and five from Douglas.
Glen-daragha stream, which rises in Gharth farm, after ashort course falls into the Darl; river. A stratum of marl is observable on its banks, but little is dull. On the north-side another small stream rises and runs into the same. The former affords trout in plenty.
The Barony of St. Trinian's, situated in the parishes of German and Marown, consists of five quarterlands. This was purchased by Mr. Quayle, together with the impropriate tithes of Kirk Marown, in 1763, from the preset Duke of Athol's father, in virtue of a certain indenture ex partite of feoffment, and in conjunction with Duke James, for 500l Manks; and Mr.Quayle holds a court for this barony.
St. Trinian's, a mere ruin, is about 1½ mile from the present church, to which was annexed a glebe and churchyard. It is on the road-side from Douglas to Peel.
A lead mine, probably a rich one, was once attempted in a valley near Dremelang, but was abandoned.
This parish is in the middle Sheading. It may here be necessary to state, that with respect to its civil concerns the island is divided into six Sheadings, each of which has its coroner, who, in the nature of a sheriff, is intrusted with the peace of the district, secures criminals, brings them to justice, &c. This coroner has a deputy in each parish, termed a lockman.
The Rushen sheading contains Kirk-Christ Rushen, Arbory,
Middle sheading, St. Ann, Marown, and Braddan.
Garff sheading, Maughold, Lonan, and Conchan.
The north division comprises Glenfaba sheading, containing
Patrick and German.
Michael sheading, Michael, Balaff, and Jurby.
Ayre sheading, Lezayre, Andreas, and Bride.*
Here are two corn mills and a flax mill. Hazel nuts are found in the bogs; this is singular, as very few traces of the hazel are now to be found growing in the island.
* But by an act of Tynwald in 1796, the common
law-court, held at one particular time and place, being found
inconvenient, the island was divided into two districts, for a court
to be held in each; and from thence the sheddings are thus
Patrick, German, and Marown, form Glenfaba shedding.
Maughold and Lonan, fores the Garth sheading.
Conchan, Braddan, and Santon, the middle shedding
The northern district comprises Michael, Ayre, and Garff sheddings, the court for which is held at Ramsey.
The southern district comprises Glenfaba, middle, and Rushen sheadings, the court held at Castletown.
The mountains are Archollagan, Greba,Slieuschiarn, part ofArgole on Lord H. Murray's estate, Dremelang, and Lhiaght y Kinry, i.e. Kinry's Grave, he having perished there, through his rash and imprudent attempt, on a very snowy day, to run from Douglas to Bishop's-court, and back again to Douglas, stark naked, for a trifling sum of money.N.B. It was on his return from Bishop's-court that he perished, and according to tradition was buried on the spot where he died.
Extract from the register, 1703. Baptized Jane the daughterof John Quillian, and Jane Brew his wife, who was 48 years of age; and twenty years and a half married, when she bore this her first child, who was baptised Jan. 17th, 1703.
1667. A child of John Lace vitas baptised by Edward Brew, clerk, in the absence of the minister, and upon necessity. 1662. Several buried by the clerk.
Lay baptisms we find to have been permitted in England by the prayer-books of Edward and Elizabeth, in cases of danger, on the supposed impossibility of salvation without baptism; but when they had clearer notions of the sacraments, it was resolved, in convocation 1575, that even private baptism, in case of necessity, was only to be administered by a lawful minister.Encyc. Brit.
In 1667, on the 13th of July, herrings were so plentiful, that they sold for 6d. a maze of 600.
The vicarage-house is in ruins near the church. The glebe about three acres; but little wheat is grown. The donations to the poor are about 100l. principal.
Former vicars. In 1679, the Rev. Robert Fletcher. Willian Bridson. Robert Radcliffe, curate. Matthias Curghey. Philip Moore, curate. Tho. Christian. John Christian, his son. Rev.Thomas Christian, his son, the present vicar; the duty done by the Rev. John Bridson.
Is a paten of silver, inscribed "Ecclesiae. St. Runii Manensis sacrum, 1759. The gift of the Rev. John Christian, vicar. Cup dated 1705."
The font is very large, evidently intended to immerse children in, of a stone not found in the island. Part of the porch was brought from St. Trinian's ruins. A handsome pulpit, with the Legs of Man over it.
A stone to the memory of Henry, son of John Clucas, of Balla Nicholas, " a virtuous and notable youth, academick student," died June 23, 1732, aged 23 years.
The church measures 60 feet by 18.
A tomb in memory of the Rev. John Christian, of Ballnekilley, vicar of this parish 26 years, buried Sept. 29th, 1779, aged 51. The Rev. John Christian, vicar, who died Nov. 19,1777, aged 47.
Francis Blackmore, of Ireland, buried Sept. 25, 1734, aged 65.His son Simon directed these lines to be added:
" Stop, traveller, I pray; but then take heed,You judge not hard of him, when this you read. No debts, no laws, obliged him to fly From the dear land of his nativity;But worn with cares, he chose this place to endHis days in peace, and make his God his friend."
The ages of 75, 76, 79, 80, and 88, occur.
Kirk-Patrick abounds in fine sheep pasturage, and Marown has a long extended swampy vale, which, if drained, might form the best land in the island.