[from Manx Place-names, 1925]

Parish of Kirk Santan.

1291 Rot. Scotiæ Ecc. Sancti Santani.
1511 Man. Roll. Paroch. St. Santan.
1634 Dioc. Reg. Kirk Sanctan.
1648 Blundell Kirk Santon or St. Ann.
1725 Dioc. Comm. Bk. Kirk Santan.
,, ,, ,, ,, Paroch. St. Anne.
  Manx Skyll Sondane.


THE parish of Kirk Santan was dedicated to Saint Sanctan, whom we find mentioned in the Calendar of Ængus as follows :—Epscop santan (or sanctain) sochia, famous Bishop Sanctan.’ He was bishop of Cell da les, ‘church of the two forts ;‘ which has not been identified. Sanctan’s dedication date was May 9th (O.S.), May 20th (N.S.), and we have an early record by a Kirk Santan vicar of Santan fair being held on May 21st, 1755, two years after the alteration of the Calendar. This patronal fair was latterly held on Whit Monday, near the Brown Cow Inn, in the treen of Knockalaughan, but it must have been anciently held near the parish church, which is situated on the old road from Douglas to Castletown.

As early as the middle of the 17th century, Sanctan was confused with St. Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary ; but the dedication date of the latter saint,— July 26th,— was never substituted for that of Sanctan, which is proved by records of the patronal fair. The folk-etyrnologising of Santan into Saint Anne was an, easy one, for time had effaced all memory of the Irish saint. The same corruption of the name took place in Ireland, for Professor Joyce records that, in the county of Dublin, "there is a picturesque little graveyard and ruin called Kill St. Ann, near it is St. Ann’s Well ; and an adjacent residence has borrowed from the church the name of Ann Mount." Irish records show that its ancient name was Cill Easpuig Sanctáin, ‘the church of Bishop Sanctan.’

Kirk Santan is the smallest parish in the Island being about 3½ miles long and 1½, miles broad. It is bounded on the east and south by the sea, on the west by Kirk Malew, and on the north by Kirk Braddan. The area of the parish is 4249.560acres [sic accurate to ½sq yd! ].

Most of the place-names of the parish are post-Scandinavian, and belong to the later Gaelic period: there are only about half-a-dozen Norse names found.

Kirk Santan had the distinction of being the only parish in the southern half of the Island over which the King—and, later, the Lord—had full jurisdiction.


Arragon (mooar and beg), Treen. [].
1511 Man. Roll. Aros Rogan.
1643 ,, ,, Ars rogaine.
1703 ,, ,, Rogaine.
1741 Dioc. Reg. Rogane.
The first element is aros, (Scand. dr-os), ‘river-mouth.’ The mouth of the Santan burn (Cass ny hawin) is on the south-western extremity of this treen, and the mouth of the Glen Grenick stream is at its south-eastern extremity. The second element is an obsolete Gaelic surname O’Rogane, (Ir. 0 Ruadhagáin),’O’Rogan’s river-mouth,’
1703 Man. Roll. Ash hole.
1734 Dioc. Reg. Ashold.
1739 Paroch.Visit. Ashole.
Ir, Ais Hólt, ‘Holt’s hill.’ There were several families of this name in the neighbourhood of Castletown at the beginning of the 16th century. An old surname of Norse origin still found in Kildare and Wicklow. This place-name was applied to a large intack now known as Hampton’s Croft and Mount Murray, and was probably the old name of the Mount.
1511 Man. Roll. Patric McQuarres.
1643 ,, ,, Ballacorris.
‘Corris’, or McQuarres, farm.’ (Ir. MacFheÓrais ?).
Ballacostain [].
1643 Man. Roll. Jno. Costeane.
,, ,, ,, Balla Costeene.
1741 Dioc. Reg. Ballacostean.
McCorsten in adjoining parish of Marown in 1511. ‘Costain’s farm.’ This surname is apparently compounded from the Gaelic mac and Thorstein, a Norse personal name.
Ballacreggey [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballacreggy.
‘Rocky farm.’
Ballacrine [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballacrine.
The holder of this quarterland in 1511 was McQuyn, of which -crine seems to be a corruption. A w often becomes r in Manx names. ‘McQuyn or Quine’s farm.’
Ballacurry [].
1643 Man. Roll. Balla Churry.
‘Miry farm.’ Mx. Curragh, ‘a mire.’
Ballachrink [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballacruink.
‘Hill farm.’
Balladoo [].
‘Black farm.’ Ir. dubh ; Mx. doo.
Ballafurt [].
Mx. Balley-phurt, ‘harbour farm.’
Ballagick [].
1511 Man. Roll Nicholas Dik.
1603 ,, ,, Christo. Gick.
1703 ,, ,, Ballagick.
‘Dik, or Gick’s farm.’
Ballahowin [].
1643 Man. Roll. Balnahowin.
Mx. BaIley ny hawin, Ir.Baile na h-abhann,’the farm of the river.’ There were two quarterlands bearing this name in 1703, one in the Treen of Grenwyk and the other in the Treen of Sanrebrek. v. Ballavale.
Ballakelly [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballakelly.
‘Kelly’s farm.’ McHelly in adjoining parish of Kirk Marown in 1511. Ir. MacCeallaigh.
Ballakermeene [].
1643 Man. Roll.
John McUrmen in the nearby Treen of Grenwyk in 1511. Anciently part of Ballacreggan. ‘Kermeene’s farm.’ This surname is probably compounded from Gaelic mac ‘son’ and Scand. Thormundr. The latter became Tormond, Tormod and Tormailt in the Western Islands.
Ballakissack [].
1643 Man. Roll. Wm. Kissage.
1703 ,, ,, Ballakissage.
‘Kissack’s farm.’ Old Manx, McKissage, (Ir. Mac Ioso’c).
1511 Man. Roll. Henry McHugen.
1643 ,, ,, Ballaquiggin.
1769 Par. Reg. Balla Quicken.
‘Quiggin’s farm.’ (Ir. Mac Aodhagdin).
Ballavagher [].
1643 Man. Roll. Thos. ffargher.
‘Fargher’s farm.’ Old Manx McFargher, (Ir. Mac Fhearchair). In adjoining treen of Bendoill.
Ballavale [].
Modern name with Eng. vale, ‘a valley.’ In 1703 this farm was called Balnahowin. q.v.
Ballavarton [].
1703 Man. Roll. John Martin.
‘Martin’s farm.’ Old Manx McGilinartyn, (Ir. Mac Giolla Mártain).
Ballavilley [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballavilley.
Mx. Balley villey, Ir. Baile bhile, ‘tree farm.’ Joyce says (Ir. Names of Places) that bile signifies a large tree which, for any reason, was held in veneration by the people ; for instance, one under which their chiefs used to be inaugurated, or periodical games celebrated. V. Parish of Kirk Santan.
Balnahow, Treen [].
1511 Man. Roll. Hawe.
1703 ,, ,, How, Balinahow.
1725 Dioc. Reg. Balla ny how.
Mx. Balley ny howe, ‘farm of the howe.’ v. Balnahow in Parish of Kirk Christ Rushen.
Baltic Rock.
Lies off the farm of Mary Voar. Probably called so after a vessel wrecked thereon.
Banner Rock [].
Mx. Beinn, Ir. Beann, ‘a horn, point or peak’ ; with cumulative suffix -ar ; indicating ‘a place of horns’ etc. The name of a reef offthe coast of Ballafurt.
Bendoill, Treen.
1511 & 1643 Man. Roll.
The first element is Mx. bane (Ir. ban), denoting a green field or lea land. Mx. thalloo bane, ‘fallow land.’ The second element is a lost surname Doyle or O’Doyle (Ir. 0 Dubhghaill) ‘Doyle’s lea.’
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Bwoaillee bane, ‘white fold.’
Breck boltin.
1703 Man. Roll. Brackbolchen.
1735 Dioc. Reg. Breck boltin
Mx. Breck bwoailtyn, ‘speckled folds.’
Cass ny hawin [].
1741 Dioc. Reg. Cas ny houyn.
‘The foot of the river.’ Where the Santanburn enters the sea.
Clariner [].
1864 Par. Reg. Clayna.
Mx. cleayn, Ir. claen, ‘a slope.’ The adjectival form cleaynagh has the same meaning. From here to the Mount there is a gradual ascent of 300 feet.
Claugh Ven [].
Mx. Clagh vane, ‘white stone.’ On Arragon Moar.
Claugh Willie [] .
Mx. Clagh-woaillee, ‘stone fold.’ On Knockalaughan.
Clet [].
‘A rock.’ Borrowed from the Scand. klettr. Off Arragon Veg.
Close Gibby.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Gibbon or Gilbert’s close.’
Close na Punt.
1703 Man. Roll.
Enclosure of the pound or pinfold.’
Cooil [ ].
1703 Man. Roll. Crot na Cooiley.
Mx. Crojt ny cooiliey, ‘the croft of the corner.’ This seems to have been originally part of Ballacrink.
Cooilea Chrink [ ].
Mx. Cooilly chrink, ‘the corner of the hill.’ A field name on Arragon.
Corbrek, Treen.
1511 Man. Roll. Corbrek. 1643 ,, ,, Corbrick.
Moore (Manx Names) gives Scand. Kora-brekka, ‘Kori’s slope.’ Kjarra-brekka, ‘brushwood or copsewood slope,’ is also a possible derivation.
Probably commemorates a meeting of the Setting Quest for the purpose of fixing a land boundary. No early record.
Craggan [ ].
Mx. Creggan, ‘rocky place.’ On Arragon.
Craggan Lea [ ].
Mx. Creggan lheeah, ‘grey rocky place.’ On Meary.
Crogga [ ].
1737, 1740 Dioc. Reg. Crogga.
1772 Fish Tythe. Croggeh.
Scand. Krók-d, ‘winding river.’ This stream which enters the sea at Port Soderick, is the boundary between the parishes of Kirk Santan and Kirk Braddan.
Croit-a-dramag [ ].
Mx. Croity drammag, ‘the croft or field of the dram-mag.’ The latter word means ‘one who is without energy, an easy-going person.’ On Treen of Meary.
Croit a fendy [ ].
Mx. Croityfannee, ‘croft of the flaying.’ On Mwyllin y Quinney estate.
Cronk Ashon [ ].
Mx. Cronk aittin, ‘gorse hill.’ On Ballavale.
Cronk Darragh [ ].
‘Oak hill.’ On treen of Knok Slemyn.
Cronkdhoo [ ].
Mx. Cronk doo, ‘black hill.’ On Arragon
Cronk e crine [ ].
1869 High. Acc. Cronk e crine.
‘The hill of(Balla) crine. q.v,
Cronk froy [ ].
1643 Man. Roll. Knockfreagh.
1703 ,, ,, Knockfroy.
1772 Par. Reg. Knock fraih.
Mx. Cronk freoaie, ‘heather hill.’
Cronk Leamon Treen [ ].
1511 Man. Roll. Knokslemyn.
1643 ,, ,, Knock shemegg.
Contains lost surname. Ir. 0 SléibhIn, now Anglicized into Slevan, Slavin, Slamon, etc.; an Ulster surname. Giolla Chomhghaili 0 Slêibhmn was the messenger chosen by King Malachy to rally the forces of the North in defence of Tara against Brian Boru. ‘O’Slemyn’s hill.’ On Ballavale.
Cronk (Mooar & Beg).
‘Hill (big and little).’ On Seafield.
Cronk ny marroo [ ].
‘The hill of dead people.’ The name of a tumulus above Port Grenick.
Cronk Dhoo Road.
1869 High. Acc.
‘Black hill road.’
Crot e Vondy.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Vondy’s Croft.’
Crot na Cooiley.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Croit ny cooilley, ‘croft of the corner.’
Crott y furtt.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Croft of the port.’
Dhoon [ ].
Mx. Dowin, ‘deep place.’ On Arragon Moar.
Dhrine [ ].
Mx. Drine, ‘thorny place.’ On Arragon Moar.
Dream ben [ ].
Mx. Dreeym bane, ‘white ridge.’ On Ballacrink.
Garey [ ].
Mx. Garee, ‘river-thicket.’ In Manx names a garee is usually a thicket of gorse, etc., with either miry ground or a stream running through it. On Arragon.
Garey Ashen [ ].
Mx. Garee aittin, ‘gorsey garee.’ On treen of Knok Slemyn.
Garey Haul [ ].
Mx. Garee hoal, ‘further or outer garee.’ On Arragon.
Garey Lea [].
Mx. Garee lheeah, ‘grey garee.’ On Seafield.
Glen Ellican [ ].
v. Cross Welkin in Kirk Arbory.
Glen Grenick [ ]
1643 Man. Roll. Glonagreenagh.
1739 Dioc. Reg. Glengrenagh.
1793 Par. Reg. Glanghrianagh.
‘The glen of Grenick.’ v. Port Grenick.
Glentrauigh [].
1643 Man. Roll. Glontrough.
1776 Par. Reg. Glantraigh.
Mx. Glion tragh, ‘shore glen.’
Gob Liack [ ].
Gob, primarily meaning ‘a bird’s beak,’ means ‘a small headland’ in Manx nomenclature. ‘The headland of slates or flat stones.’
Great Gate.
The name of a small estate. Apparently a modern name.
Grenick, Port. Treen. [].
1511 Man. Roll. Grenwyk.
1643 ,, ,, Grenickle.
1860 K. G. Greenwick.
1867 Par. Reg. Grenock (Port).
Scand. Græn-vik, ‘green creek.’ Popular etymology has made the name Purt Grianagh, ‘sunny haibour.’
Hampton’s Croft.
1643 Man. Roll.
Gilbt. Hampton. Originally part of the intack called Ashole, q.v.
Hudgeon’s Craft.
Craft is a common pronunciation of the Eng. croft,
Keig’s Croft.
The McKeg’s were in the Treen of Balyfaden, Kirk Arbory, in 1511. This croft was originally intack belonging to Ashole, q.v. The first mayor of Douglas, Thomas Keig, was a descendant of this family.
1643 Man. Roll.
Mx. Kerroo doo, ‘black quarterland,’
Kessah [].
Ir. Ceis and ceiseach, ‘a kind of causeway made of wickerwork, and sometimes of boughs of trees and brambles, across a small river, a marsh, or deep bog,’
( Joyce’s Ir. Place-Names). This name occurs several times in the Isle of Man, and the place so called is always of a rniry nature. Ceiseach is Anglicized into Casey, Cassagh and Kessagh in Ireland. On Arragon.
Kinley’s Bridge.
On Ballahowin.
Knockalaughan, Treen. [].
1511 Man. Roll Knokloghan.
1643 ,, ,, Knock a loughan.
‘Lochlainn’s hill.’ \7~T~ McClaghlen was a holder in this treen in 1511. The treen took its name from an earlier ancestor of this holder named Lochlainn, which afterwards developed into the surname McClaghlen. (Ir. MacLochlainn).
Knock an Alin.
1737 Dioc. Reg. Knock an Alin.
1744 ,, ,, Knockan alin.
Mx. Crongan (Old Manx Knockan) aalin, ‘beautiful hillock.’
Lag-a-shiel []
Mx. Lagy sheel, ‘hollow of the seed.’ On Arragon.
Lhergy [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballalargy.
Mx. Balley liargee, ‘slope farm.’
Lhergy Vertyn [].
Mx. Liargee Vartyn, ‘Martin’s slope.’
Lhuddon [].
A corruption of Manx glion, ‘glen.’ On Seafield.
Lough Chiarn [].
‘Lord’s lake.’ On treen of Knok Slemyn.
Mar a cooill siieau [].
Mx. Magher y chooill slieau, ‘field of the mountain corner.’ On treen of Knok Slemyn.
Mare-coil-thi [].
Mx. Magher cooyl thie, ‘field behind the house.’
Maraquinney [].
‘Quinney’s field.’
Mar-a-tholt [].
Mx. Magher y toalt, ‘field of the barn.’ Soalt becomes toalt in the gen. case, after the definite article. On Arragon Moar.
Meary Veg and Meary Voar, Treen. [].
1511 Man. Roll. Meare.
1703 ,. ,, Meary.
Scand. mæri, ‘border land.’ (Moore’s Manx Names).
Midle Gary.
1703 Man. Roll.
v. Garey.
Moilaworragh Craft.
‘Morrison’s croft.’
Mylywoirrey for an earlier McGilvorra. On Ballacrink.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘The little turbary,’ dim. in -1. in the quarterland of Kerroo Dhoo.
Money [].
Mx. Moanee, ‘a turbary, peaty land.’
Mount Murray.
Belonged to Lord Henry Murray, one of the Atholl family, formerly Lords of Mann.
Mwyllin y Quinney [].
1643 Man. Roll. Mullen e Quinney.
‘Quinney’s mill.’ This is in the treen of Knok Slemyn. There is a Quyn and a McQuyn here in 1511, of which the surname Quinney may have been a later development.
1737 Dioc. Reg. Newtown.
1753 ,, ,, Newton Bally M’Guire now called Moore Hall.
Built and named by an Irishman named McGuire. The terrace of houses is still inhabited.
Oatland [].
1788 Dioc. Reg. Oatland alias Knock y Loughan.
From a family named Oates.
Park [].
1860 K. G. Ferk.
‘A field, pasture land.’
Pistol (Bay and Castle).
Scand. Fiskastallr, ‘fish rock.’ In Hebridean Place-Names stal (Scand. stallr) means a ‘precipice or over-hanging rock.’ When stal occurs inland it is usually a corruption of Scand. stal5r, ‘a farm.’
Purt Veg [].
Mx. Purt beg, ‘little harbour.’
Rheast [].
Mx. Recast, ‘waste-land.’
Rheiden [ ].
Mx. Rheynn, ‘division.’ On Arragon Moar.
Seafield [].
Modern. Anciently part of Ballavilley.
Soldrick [].
1860 K. G. Saltrick.
 v. Soderick in Kirk Braddan.
Staiden [].
Seems to be the Scand. steinn, ‘a stone,’ here meaning a stony place. The shore at Gob Lhiack, q.v.
St. Anne’s Well.
1651 Par. Reg.
‘The watering place of the glebe is St. Anne’s Well and other water in the waste ground in the road below and near said well.’ This should be Santan Well or St. Sanctan’s Well. v. Introduction to the Parish.
Strand ny cabbage [].
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Purt ny Ceabagh.
The modern name means the ‘strand of the cabbage ( wild)’. The Ord. Sur. name, which may be an older form, means the ‘port or harbour of the clods.’
Sulbrick, Treen, [].
1511 Man. Roll. Sanrebrek.
1643 ,, ,, Sandrabrick.
Scand. Sandbrekka, ‘sandy slope.’
1703 Man. Roll.
Ir. Tul or tula, ‘a hill’ ; and Mac Danell, a surname found in the Parish in 1511, which later became Conyl, Conylt and Cannell.
Traih Gheiyi.
Mx. Traih Cheyl, ‘narrow strand.’
Traie ny Gill [].
‘Shore of the gill or ravine.’ Gill is a loan-word from the Norse.
Traie ny Stoat, Locally Slate.
‘Shore of the pools or puddles.’
Troiliag [].
Probably a contraction of Maglier Trollog, ‘Trollog’s field.’ v. Ballatrollag in Kirk Malew. Name of a field on Arragon Mooar.
Vaish mooar [].
Ir. mds, ‘a ridge,’ i.e. ‘great ridge.’
Wiellee yen [].
Mx. Bwoaillee vane, ‘white fold.’ On Ballacrink.

  Back index next Santan

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000