[From King William's College: Centenary Notes & Pictures, 1933]

SCOUTS

Scouting at K.W.C. dates from 1914, when the first College Troop was formed in the junior House, mainly through the initiative and interest of Norman Bramwell, a King's Scout, who was later killed in the War. In 1923 Canon Owen presented to the whole School the Chief Scout's appeal for support from the Public Schools. Mr. J. B. Nelson had now joined the staff and two further troops were soon formed, the School Troop of about thirty boys up to the age of 14.6 and the O.T.C. Troop, composed of some fifteen members of the Corps who were keen on Scouting, but who, of course, had to carry out their activities in their own leisure time. This small Troop was, from the first, the most advanced in work; and its success has demonstrated at College the possibility of combining scouting with the work of the O.T.C.

The next development was the formation of a Rover Troop, open to all those who held Certificate A, as well as to others. Nothing gave a greater impetus to Scouting at College than when C. G. Barnes, head of the School, in 1924 passed his Tenderfoot tests as a Rover and wore a Tenderfoot badge. Many former College Rovers are now themselves Scouters in various parts of the country.

College Scouts have gone to camp in the Island, for several years, in the Summer Vacation, under the leadership of Mr. H. F. Henry.

The Rovers have made a number of treks in various parts of the British Isles and elsewhere, including Norway, with Mr. Nelson; while the O.T.C. Troop has made several trips to the continent with Mr. J. L. Ruder.

The College Scouts give assistance with the signalling apparatus annually at the T.T. Races, and were invited to keep the boundaries of the Ronaldsway aerodrome at the arrival by air of H.R.H. Prince George in June, 1932.

RUGBY

The 1929-30 1st XV was one of the strongest and most successful of recent College sides. They were skilful in all departments of the game and of exceptional physique. After losing the first game of the season, when several players were absent (Manchester "A" 37 points; K.W.C. 3 points), they won the remaining thirteen matches, scoring in all 398 points against 83. The games won included those against Waterloo "A" ; Preston Grasshoppers ; Liverpool College (twice) ; Merchant Taylors, Crosby ; Rossall ; St. Bees and Birkenhead School.

A GROUP OF RUGBY INTERNATIONALS

 

MAJOR R. JOHNSTON, V.C. (1885-90)

CAPT. E. G. FORREST (1886-87).

S. A. M. Bruce (K.W.C. 1873-77),

J. FRASER SHAW (1890-93).

R. T. FOULDS (1919-22).

Ireland XV, 1882-84

J. E. Orr (K.W.C. 1877-81), Scotland XV.

Capt. E. G. Forrest (K.W.C. 1886-87), Captain, Ireland, 1894, when Ireland won the " Triple Crown."

J. F. Shaw (K.W.C. 1890-93), England XV, 1898.

R. T. Foulds (K.W.C. 1919-22), England XV.

Major R. Johnston, V.C. (K.W.C. 1885-I89o), Ireland XV.

[II. VeD.

FIRST XV, 1929-3o.

'W. H. Warburtan,

Back Raw :-H. N. HYDDS, J. T. CHRYSTAL, R. C. KITCHEN, N. C. SHILLINGLAW, MR. SCOTT, R. M. GLASS, R. D. TEARE, F. S. ADcocx, A. GOLDING. Sitting :-R. D. ALLEN, W. C. KELLY, J. R. THORNTON (Ca,:t.), A. F. DOUGHERTY, K. B. TAYLOR, D. R. CRINGLE, J. W. W. HYDE.

THE REV. G. H. HARRIS, M.A., Exhibitioner of Fitzwilliam Hall, Cambridge, succeeded Canon Owen as Principal in 193o. He was placed in the first class of both parts of the Theological Tripos, with distinction in the New Testament. He was Crosse (University) Scholar and won the Carus Greek Testament Prizes for Undergraduates and Bachelors, the Scholefield Prize ; and was also Wordsworth Student.

Mr. Harris was formerly Vice-Principal of Ridley Hall ; and Assistant Censor, Fitzwilliam Hall, Cambridge. 1Ie subsequently held a living in Buckinghamshire and was one of the Secretaries of the C.M.S. He was select preacher before the University of Cambridge in 1919 and 1921, and is an examining chaplain to the Bishop of Sodor and Man and the Bishop of Worcester.

In the War Mr. Harris was a senior Chaplain to the Forces, and was mentioned in dispatches in 1918.

He was a contributor to The Inner Life, 1924, and was joint Editor of The Call for Christian Unity, 1930.

THE Rev. G. H. HARRIS, M.A.

THE PRINCIPAL AND STAFF, 1933.

Back Row (left to right) :-MR. D. THOMPSON MR. J. B. NELSON, MR. J. L. RYDER, MR. W. K. SMEETON, MR. M. H. O'GRADY, MR. P. R. HOOPER, MR. H. F. HENRY, MR. S. BOULTER, MAJOR K. S. S. HENDERSON (Secretary and Bursar). Front Row :-MR. M. REDFEARN SMITH, REV. E. H. STENNING, MR. A. P. HUNT, THE PRINCIPAL, MR. J. D. PAUL, MR. L. DEHAENE, MR. R. W. SMITH.

[Rev. E. H. Stenning.

TIIE OPENING OF THE DICKSON MEMORIAL PAVILION BY G. F. CLUCAS, ESQ., SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF KEYS, I93I.

THE PRINCIPAL AND PRÆPOSITORS, 1933.

Back Row (left to right) :-J. A. G. QUILLIAM, E. CORTEEN, P. R. P. BIRCH, G. V. VAN KLAVEREN. Front Row :-C. G. ST. C. TISDALL, J. W. W. HYDE, THE PRINCIPAL, A. A. CLAGUE, P. D. SAMMAN.

W. S. KARRAN, CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC TEAM, 1933.

A. T. CUTTER, CAPTAIN WELSH INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY XI, AND CENTRE FORWARD 1929-30-31-32-33

THE COLLEGE TRUSTEES, 1933. [R. Newby.

Front Row (left to right) :

THE RT. REV. W. STANTON JONES, D.D., SIR CLAUDE H. A. HILL, K.C.S.I., C.I.E., THE VEN. J. KEWLEY, M.A.,

Lord Bishop of Sodor and Man. Lieutenant-Governor of the Isle of Man. Archdeacon of Man. Back Row (left to right) :

G. F. CLUCAS, ESQ., C.B.E., RAMSEY B. MOORE, ESQ., M.L.C., A. ROBERTSON, ESQ., O.B.E. MAJOR K. S. S. HENDERSON.

Speaker of the House of Keys. H.M. Attorney-General. Secretary.

GROUND PLAN OF COLLEGE BUILDINGS WI'III DATES OF ERECTION.

 

COLLEGE RECORDS CRICKET

Highest individual score in ist XI match :-

E. H. ALLEN (School House) 196 K.W.C. v. Preston, 1925. Highest individual score in House match :

K. G. STEPHENSON (Walters)

z02 Sewell's v. Smith's, igig. SPORTS

Putting the Weight (16 lbs.)

E. DICKSON (Dickson's), 33 ft. io? ins.

Cricket Ball

H. H. LAMOTHE (Trafford's), Iocg yds. z ins.

lkgh Jump

C. GILL (Davidson's), 5 ft. 6 ins.

Long jump .

R. BRUCE (Trafford's), zI ft. z ins.

ioo Yards .

L. A. BRUCE (Scott's), io5 and

C. W. R. PEEVER (Colbourne), Io (I933).

 

1zo Hurdles

F. M. B. HOBBS (Traford's), 17 sees. and

E. F. MURPHY (Day Boys') 1926, 17 secs.

 

Mile

R. R. EDWARDS (Day Boys'), 4 mins. 48 secs.

Ouarter Mile

A. W. YOUNG (Trafford's), 5 z secs.

zzo Yards

T. B. WEBB (Colbourne), 245- secs. (1931).

Half Mile

C. W. R. PEEVER (Colbourne), z mins. 15 secs. (1932),

Won every Open Event (1904):-E. R. S. TAYLOR (Principal's).

 

 

" Half the journey from old Erin
To the hills of Lakeland's chain,
There's a little island peering
Like a jewel from the main.

Hard by Langness and its heather,
'Neath the shadow of Barrule,
Here four-square to front the weather
Stands erect our island school."

 


 

Back index

 

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000