This is an updated and edited version of a series of articles that first appeared in the Journal of the IoM Family History Society written by Wally Corrin who gave them to me for publication here. The early parish registers of Arbory do not appear to have survived thus Wally has made extensive use of the Manorial Rolls to provide some structure to the family
A.W Moore suggests that the name derives from an Irish prototype -a Manx contraction of Mac Oran from Mac Odhrain ‘son of Odhran' pale faced, a St. Odhran was reputed to be St. Patrick’s charioteer."
Its appearance in the Parish Registers includes: M'Corrane , M'Corrin, Corrin , McCorryn, McCoryn , Corean , Corran , Corine . He also notes that it appears in Malew, Braddan, Santon and Rushen, is common in Arbory , very common in German but uncommon elsewhere
J.J.Kneen however opens up a more interesting possibility with the suggestion that it may also derive from Old Norse. (Mac) Þorfinner, "son of Þorfinnr".(englished as Thorfinner) and gives the following list of occurrences which also include non-Manx sources (derived however from Oliver's Monumenta of records connected with Island published by the Manx Society in 1860's) as well as the Liber Assed or Manorial Roll (LA), Statutes (SL) and Parish Register (PR)
Makory, R.Par.(Rolls of the 21st year of Edward 1’s reign) 1290; Mactoryn, RS. 21 Ed. 1. 1293; Mathoren, RPCCH. 3 Hen IV, 1402; Mac Thoryngt, RLP., 7 Hen. IV, Add. Chart. 1408; Mac Corrane, SL. 1422; Mac Corrin, SL 1504; Mac Corryn, LA. 7, 8. 1515; Mac Coryn, LA. 7, 8. 1515; Ine Corine, LA. 9. 1515; (f.); Ine Coryn, LA 9. 1515 (f.); Corrin, LM. 3AL., 11 AL. 1611; Corine, PR. 6. 1624, - PR. 1627; Corran, PR. 1627; Coreene, PR 6. 1634; Coreen, PR. 6. 1683; Currin, PR. 1. 1786, 1810.
The pre-1408 forms point to a Norse source. It is also possible that some of our Corrins may derive their name from an Ir. Ancestor. with. Currin from Mac Corraidhin (dim. Of corradh, "a spear") e.g. a Gilbert Curin supplied farm produce to Peel Castle, A.D. 1580, Kerroo Corrin in Kirk Christ Rushen was one of the seats of this family.
Following up J.J.Kneen's references (to be found under the date in Oliver's Monumenta vol 2) leads to Makory (?Maktory) a Justice of Man in 1290. His name is recorded in a document whereby a William De Twynham of the Isle of Man seeks the kings writ to the sheriff of Lancashire because the Justice Duncan Matkory and William his son had deprived him of his goods to the value of 50 Marks against the peace.
In 1293 we find Mactoryn in a document regarding the "Outlawry of Donekan Mactoryn annulled". The king superior, Lord of the kingdom of Scotland etc, Since the record and trial held before our beloved and faithful Walter De Huntercumbe late bailiff of the Island aforesaid respecting the outlawry pronounced against Donekan Mactoryn etc, an error has been found and we wholly annul the said outlawry. 28 June AD 1293.
A 1314 Petition to Edward II , shows Donekan de Mackoury, gentleman to Sir John de Ergeyl, had been in the service of both Edward I and Edward II at all times since the commencement of the war in Scotland, his father and relations having died in the same service, all his lands, goods, and houses destroyed by the Scots, and he himself has lived the whole of this year in Man in great distress, in the service of the King. Therefore he prays that the King will consider his estate, and grant him the ward and marriage of the body and lands of the heir of Nicholas de Ledewicke in Ireland, which are valued at twenty marks, together with the marriage of the wife of the said Nicholas, which ward belongs to the King, so that he may have a retreat for his wife and his children, so long as he remains in the service of the King - the request was granted.
During this period in time the IOM was passing back and forth between the English and the Scots through invasions by one or the other.
In 1338 Edward II of England appoints Edmund MacToryn escheator of Ireland to expel the Scots from the IOM. Escheator is an official who collects 'escheats' or those feudal lands or dues that for various reasons fall to the King.
In 1402 a licence was issued to John Mathoren and William Hobson, servants of the Earl of Northumberland, at that time Lord of Man, to buy corn in Ireland and to convey it to the Island as well as to Carlisle.
In 1408 Patrick McThoryngt as one of the 24 (and thus presumably a major figure) signs the declaration of the Bishop, Abbot, and Clergy against the claim of sir Stephen Lestrop though the name is not amongst those who sign the 1417 Indenture.
Kneen also suggests the Thorfin/Corrin connection in a number of derivations of place names - the most interesting of which is under Malew
"Villa Thore Filii Asser". This name was in the Bull of Pope Eugenius 3rd’s letter to Furness Abbey in 1153 regarding affairs of Man. The explanation was as follows:
"It is probable that Thore the son of Asser is identifiable with Thorfin the son of Oter mentioned in the Chronicles of Man. He was a famous chieftain of the Isles in the 12th century. It is now impossible to identify the site of this estate, but it was probably in the Parish of Malew."
We then found the explanation for the Village of Thorfin Asser in the document itself being a letter to the Cistercian brotherhood in Man, which read as follows:
"In Man, the gift of the Noble Olave, King of the Isles, the land of Carneclet as far as the Monastery of St. Leoc, with their appurtenances, the Village of THOREFIL ASSER [THORKEL*] (the treen of Kyrke Mychell in Malew south and east of Ballasalla), the village of St. Melii (Malew), the village of Narwe, Stainredale, with their appurtenances, the land of St. Corebric (Arbory) and Fragerwi (the Friar’s Homestead).
This gift was the lands for the Rushen Abbey and farmland given to the church by Olave in 1134. This results in the Village [best read as villa which would correspond to Manx 'Balla' ie a homestead rather than a village in the modern sense]of Thorefil Asser, which was adjacent to the Monastery of St. Leoc (which became Rushen Abbey) becoming part of this gift. This means the land or village in which the Thorfin’s dwelled became part of Rushen Abbey and would have paid their annual rental fees to the Abbey rather than the King.
The boundaries of the Abbeylands which are delimited in a document (of date later than 1376) appended to the Chronicle have been discussed by several writers [Quine in Yn Lioar Manninagh Vol 3 pp417/424 and Ralfe in Proc IoMNHAS vol 1 #12 1910]
Thorkel Farmland. The land was south of the road running from the ford in the Santan Burn river west to Ballasalla and probably went south to the coastline. The boundary line ran from the ford in the river at that time called the river Coma along the highway between the Thorkel farm, (otherwise Kyrke Mychell) and Herinstad. The line then passes along a wall which is the limit between the above mentioned Thorkel’s Estate and Ballasallach. It then descends from Ballasallach along a wall and ditch to the river Russin and along the river to Castle Russin.
Quine equates " Villa Thorkel," or ‘‘ Kirk Michael ", as the treen of Kirk Michael, containing Ballaquaggin , Ballaquinnea, Ballawoods, and Ballahick.
In the 1511 Manorial Roll there are no Thorfin’s or Corrin’s living in Kyrke Mychell. There were MacAddas, Hyks, McWhalens and Faratands. The earliest recorded property ownership we have is in the 1539 Manorial roll where there is a Corens grounde in the Rushen Abbeylands. As there was no census taken of Abbey lands in 1511 Corens grounde could have existed for a long time before 1539. Following that we have a number of records of land holdings in the Abbeylands under the name Corrin.
This makes the Corrin name of Scandinavian origin and places the early family seat in Malew in the vicinity of Rushen Abbey. The location of the Estate of Thorfin Asser, which appears to be next to the Abbey was probably the source of the people called MacToryns. Mathorens and Makthoryngts back in the 1400’s, as well as those McCorens etc. in Malew.
The proto-Corrins were most likely the McCorryns, McCoryns and McCorrans. There are none in the parish of Rushen or Arbory in the 1511 MR. There are McCarens, McCorrans and Corens in Malew in 1506, 1511 and 1539 respectively. There are also McCoryns and McCorryns in Lonan, Onchan and Maughold in 1511. In Rushen in the 1511 MR there were several families of McKerrons who later appear to have become Karran, Carrin, Carine and Carin. In Rushen there were no Corrins until William Corrin appeared in KKPatrick about 1600.
Malew and the Thorkel farm next to Rushen Abbey is the most likely start of the Corrins who were formerly Thorfinns. We know that the 1539 Corens Grounde in the Rushen Abbey lands was next to Cotters Grounde, which in turn was described as being above Silverburn on the left of the road. This would appear to be just west of the Abbey, between the road and the river. In 1134 when the estate of Thorfinn Asser was taken by the King and given to the Abbey there may have been some relocation of the Thorfinn Clan.
The Thorfin is noted under 1156 in the Chronicle of Man & the Isles as:
Godred after a few days went back to Man, and dismissed the chiefs of the Isles to their respective abodes. When he now found himself secure on his throne, and that no one could oppose him, he began to act tyrannically towards his chiefs, depriving some of their inheritances, and others of their dignities. Of these, one named Thorfinn, son of Oter, more powerful than the rest, went to Somerled, and begged for his son Dugald, that he might make him king over the Isles. Somerled, highly gratified by the application, put Dugald under the direction of Thorfinn, who received and led him through all the islands, subjecting them all to him, and taking hostages from each.
A review of the 1511 manorial rolls shows only one concentration of McCorryns and that is in Lonan with a spill over into the adjacent parishes of Onchan and Maughold. It is likely that the Arbory McCorryns in 1529 came from this area. There is however one other source of McCorryns - that in Malew in 1540 which may have been origin of our Robert Corrin who first appears in the manorial roll in Arbory around 1605. No McCorryns are recorded in the 1511 Malew manorial roll though this does not rule out the probability that there could have been some on the Monastic properties at Kirk Christ Rushen as we know there were Corrins there.
The 1540 Lib Assed provides an indication of the location and social standing
|Onchan||Alia Begood||2s||Thomas McCorran|
|Onchan||Begood||3s||Patrick McCorran and son Patrick|
|Onchan||Begood||3s||Patrick McCorran and father Patrick|
|Onchan||Alia Begood||3s||Gilbert McCorryn|
|Lonan||Waste Rent||2s||Calyhony Ine McCorryn|
|Lonan||Alia Colby||4s||Mold McCorryn|
|Lonan||Alia Colby||4s||Patrick McCorryn|
|Lonan||Cottages Laxey||10s||Patrick McCorryn|
|Malew||Cottages Castletown||24s||William McCorryn|
The spelling of the name varies from one area to another and could be a result of a different clerk. We think however the name derives from the same source. Patrick McThoryngt who was a member of Keys in 1408 would have to have been a man of some importance and judging from the distribution of the McCorryns it is likely that he came from the Lonan Onchan area.
The above list also reminds us that there was a Gilbert Corrin and a Gibbon Corrin who arrived in Arbory in the mid 1500’s.
The Corrin’s, or more correctly the McCorryn’s, according to the Manorial Rolls arrived in Arbory in 1529 . Where did they come from? In the 1511 Manorial Rolls the only parishes in the IOM where there were McCorryn’s (also McCoryn’s) was in Lonan, Conchan and Maughold, some 20 miles to the north east The treens in which they lived were on either side of the border between Lonan and Conchan. One of these was Alia Colby in Lonan and Begod and Alia Begod in Conchan. It is possible that the McCorryns may have formd a clan here in earlier times.
The Manorial Rolls for 1528, 1529 and 1530 survive and clearly showsthe McCorryn’s moving into the treen of Ballacarmyk in Arbory. In 1529, John McCorryn is shown as a holder of land with John McGawne and Duncan Urmen. His name is crossed out along with Duncan Urmens and the holders of the land in 1528 are inserted, namely the Estate of John McGawne and Thos Mcgawne. In 1530 John McGawne, John McCorryn and Duncan Urmen are shown as the owners of this quarterland. This is what we will call the 4th quarterland in Ballacarmyk and which became known as Ballagawne. In 1529 and 30 Jacob McCorryn is shown as the land holder along with Robert McGillowy of the 2nd quarterland in Ballacarmyk.
In 1539, John McCorryn, Don McOtt and Richd Keg held what was to become known as the Ballagawne property and Jacob McCorryn now has a 2nd property in Colby Treen, across the road from Ballacarmyk.
In the 1567 Roll the name is spelled McCorene. John McCorene now has the 3rd quarterland formerly owned by a Patrick Graph. The 4th quarterland, (Ballagawne) is now held by Donald McOtt, Richd Keg and Gilbt Norris. Jacob McCorene, the holder of the 2nd quarterland in Ballacarmyk has been replaced by James McCorene together with Robt Blackmore (Blackmore has a small holding, probably a house and garden). James also has property in Colby. There is a new Gilbert McCorrene in Arbory now with two holdings in Ardary and one in Ballafada. There is also a new Gibbon McCorene with 2 holdings in Colby.
The 1572 Roll shows a Gilbert McCoren with land in Ardary and Ballafadda. A Gibbon McCoren has two holdings in Colby as does James McCoren. James McCoren with Robt Blackmore and John McCoren have their land as before in Ballacarmick. The 4th quarterland is held by Don McOtt, Rich Keg and Gilbt Norris as in 1567.
In the 1577 Roll taken in the name is now spelled McCorren. John McCorren and Robt Blackmore have the 3rd quarterland in Ballacarmyk and James still has the 2nd quarterland. Somehow the quarterlands were changed so that Robt Blackmore's land became part of that held by John rather than James. The 4th quarterland is now held by Nicholas Keg, Gilbt Norris and Christianson Clague who appears to have taken over the Don McOtt property. James still has his property in the 2nd quarterland of Colby. Gybbon McCorren still has the two holdings in Colby. Gilbert still has his holdings in Ardary and Ballafada.
The only changes in the 1581 and 1584 Rolls are in the 4th quarterland of Ballacarmyk where Nicholas Keg’s property appears to be held in an estate in 1581. In 1584 there are only 2 landholders, Gilbert Norris and William Clague. The Keg land has been taken over by Norris or Clague and the Christianson Clague land is now held by William Clague, probably his son. We have no record of the individual rental payments made for this quarterland to determine who took over what. All we have is the total rental of 18s 8d for the quarterland.
The 1589 Roll has no changes. Gilbert Corrin has 2 holdings in Ardary and one in Ballafadda. Gibon Corrin has two in Colby. James has one in Colby and one in Ballacarmyk. John has one in Ballacarmyk and the 4th quarterland is held by Gilbt Norris and William Clague.
The 1597 Roll show some interesting changes - elsewhere in the Rolls 1597 would appear to be the year in which a new Lord brought his books up to date so changes might have taken place earlier but were not noted at the time. Gilbert Corren still has one holding in Ardary and one in Ballafada. In Colby, a John Corrin has the properties formerly held by Gybbon McCorren in what we call the 1st and a small 5th quarterland. John and William Corrin have inherited the James Corrin land. In Ballacarmyk, the James and John Corrin lands have been put together (the 2nd & 3rd quarterlands) along with a John Blackmore and Thomas Tyldesley to form a large quarterland. Rental on the former quarterland s were 21s 7d and 9s 6d. The new rental is 31s ?d (unable to read).
In 1597 the land formerly held by James Corrin and John Corrin is now held by Thomas Corrin and William Corrin along with Blackmore and Tyldesly. Rentals paid by the 4 holders are as follows; Thomas Corrin 9s 6p, William Corrin 11s, John Blackmore 2s and Thomas Tyldesly 8s 7d.; we conclude Thomas Corrin inherited John Corrin’s land and William Corrin and Thomas Tyldesly took over James Corrin’s land.
The Colby rentals paid by John Corrin and William Corrin in 1597 were 5s 4d each. The quarterland rental was 21s 4d and John Gell paid 10s 8d for his half of the quarterland. John and William took over the other half which had been James Corrin's land, and paid 10s 8d in total. Because William Corrin also inherited a portion of James Corrins land in Ballacarmyk, we assume he is the same person and is probably the eldest son of James Corrin as he inherited the larger portion of the estate. Thomas Tyldesly could also have been related.
The manorial roll for 1600 does not change from 1597. There is a Gilbt Corrin in Ardary and Ballafadda. In Colby there is a John Corrin with the 1st and 5th quarterland s (16s) and 7s 6d) respectively. The 2nd quarterland is held by John Gell (10s 8d), John Corrin (5s 4d) and William Corrin (5s 4d). In Ballacarmyk there is Thomas Corrin, (9s 6d) William Corrin, (11s) Robt Blackmore (2s) and Thomas Tyldesly (8s 7d) in the 2nd quarterland. The 3rd quarterland disappeared in 1597 when the 2nd and 3rd were combined. The 3rd quarterland which was the 4th prior to 1597 is still held by Gilbt Norris and William Clague.
The following are some of the changes in the ownership of the Corrin properties at this time. The rentals paid in 1600 are shown in the above paragraph. This changes in 1603 when Thomas Corrin’s property (9s 6d) is divided so that Thomas Corrin pays 4s 9d and a William (Henry in 1605) Clague arrives and pays 4s 9d. William Corrin 11s, John Blackmore 2s, and Thomas Tyldesly 8s ?d all of which are unchanged. This does not change in 1604. One other change in 1604 is that a John Corrin appears as part owner of the Colby mill along with Sherloke and Kelly.
In 1605 there are more changes. The 2nd quarterland is now held by Thomas Corrin 4s 9d and Henry Clague 4s 9d, Henry Clague has taken over the property held by William Corrin 11s and there is a John Clague with no rental. Blackmore 2s and Tyldesly 8s 7d are still there. A Robert Corrin arrives and takes over the land held by Gilbt Norris in the 3rd quarterland, the land that eventually becomes known as Ballagawne.
So what actually happened in 1605? William Corrin passes his property to Henry Clague. Robert Corrin takes over the land held in the estate of Gilbt Norris. Ten years later a William Corrin returns to take his property back from Henry Clague (? mortgage). The property held by Gilbt Norris had formerly been held by John Corrin. It passed to Gilbt Norris when John Corrin took over the Patrick Graph property. This change happened between 1540 and 1566. Gilbt Norris dies in 1604, if he was about 65 or so, he could have taken over the John Corrin property probably no more than 40 years earlier in 1564. He would have been 25 years old. Maybe he married a Corrin daughter.
By this time Corrin’s now extending into Rushen. In 1601 a William Corrin takes over a property in the St Patrick treen of Rushen, which is across the Colby river from the Corrin farms in Colby., the rental is 11s 3d which is half of a quarterland. This property passes to a Robert Corrin in 1615. If the father William died in 1614, this could explain Robert, probably his son, taking over this land. Also it is in 1614 that the Ballacarmyk property held by Henry Clague goes back to a William Corrin who could also have been a son of William.
Regarding manorial roll changes there are none in Colby or Ballacarmyk from 1605 until 1614. In 1614, Joane Corrin takes over the land held by Thomas Corrin in Ballacarmyk, rental 4s 9d. The property held by William Corrin in Ballacarmyk, rental 11s is changed to Richard Corrin. In 1620, Margt Corrin takes over the Joane Corrin property. The William Corrin change to Richard is changed back to William Corrin (back to Richard in next roll). William probably died in 1620 as did Joane.
In Colby in 1614 the 2nd quarterland held by John Gell, John Corrin and William Corrin changes. It appears John dies without children as his half of the land goes to his brother William.
In 1621, Margt Corrin stays and remains on this property until after 1676, but is gone in 1686. William Corrin’s property 10s 6d is now held by his sons Thomas Corrin 4s 9d and Richard Corrin 12d along with 2 more individuals, John Cubon 3s 2d and Wm Kenaige 5d. Thomas and Richard continue to hold this property until after 1675 and 1665 respectively. Richard Corrin's son Henry who marries Ann Clague takes over in 1665 and continues to hold it until 1695.
In 1622, a Thomas Corrin takes over the William Corrin property in Colby held with John Gell, the 2nd quarterland. Also, a William Corrin takes over the John Corrin share of property in the 1st quarterland. In 1624, in Colby 1st quarterland Donald Corrin takes over the land held by the William Corrin who had held it for some time along with John Corrin.
To recap the changes in Colby in 1630 we have the following: Colby 1st quarterland is held by William Corrin rental 12s, Donald Corrin rental 8s and Donald Creden 8s, total 24s. The 2nd quarterland is held by John Gell 10s 8d, Thomas Corrin 10s 8d, total 21s 4p. John Corrin has the small 5th quarterland at 7s 6d.
In Ballacarmyk, the 2nd quarterland has a number of new people and it appears to becoming a small settlement. There is John Cubon 3s 2d, Margt Corrin 13d, Wm Kenaige 6d, Wm Clague 4s 9d, Thomas Corrin 4s 9d, Richard Corrin 12d, Robt Costen 6d, John Blackmore 2s, Gilbt Tyldesly 8s7d.Total 31s 2d. These figures do not change in 1632 but the total of the rentals is short of the 31s 2p shown as the treen rental. Robt Corrin and William Clague have the 3rd quarterland which will become known as the Ballagawne property.
There are no changes until 1639 when Donald Corrin and John Corrin take up new holdings in the treen of Aristine. In 1640 this changes to Donald and William. Also in 1640 there is a change in Colby 1st quarterland, where John Corrin takes over the property held by William Corrin in 1630.
In 1650 the holdings are as follows: In Aristine Donald and William Corrin hold half of the 2nd quarterland, no rental amounts shown. In the Colby 1st quarterland, John Corrin 12s, Donald Corrin 4s Donald Bridson 7s 3d and Wm Credine 9d, total 24s. The 2nd quarterland in Colby: Wm Waterson and Thomas Corrin 10s 8d total 21s 4d. John Corrin still has the small 5th quarterland. John Corrin no longer has an interest in the Colby mill.
In Ballacarmyk in 1650 the 2nd quarterland land holders are John Cubon 3s 2d, Margt Corrin 13d, Richd Corrin 12d, Robt Costeene ?, Wm Quiggin 3d, Rich Moore 21d ?,Gilbt Tyldesly 8s 7d, John Stoale 3d, Ann Parre 3d, Wm Clague ?, Thomas Corrin 9s 6d. John Corrin and Henry Clague have the Ballagawne property 18s 8d.
Donald and William Corrin's father John or grandfather Gybbon Corrin (Colby Corrin's) appear to have come from Malew as in their wills both have rental coming from Crofts in KK Christ, the Rushen Abbey lands in Malew recorded in their wills.
From 1650 to 1675 there is not a lot of change in the Corrins and the property they hold. In 1659 in Colby John Corrin 12s changes to William, Henry Corrin William Corrin and Thomas Kelly have the Colby Mill which in 1650 had been held by Sherloke and Kelly. In 1665 in Ballacarmyk, Richard Corrin changes to Henry Corrin. In 1667 the 3rd quarterland in Ballacarmyk is changed to John Corrin (same) and William Clague (previously Henry).
Thus by 1675 the Corrin holdings are as follows:
By 1700 the Corrin holdings are as follows:
In 1604 Gilbt Norris appears to have died as his name is bracketed for change. In 1605 Robert Corrin has taken over this land and is shown along with William Clague as holders of what is now the 3rd quarterland which later becomes identified as Ballagawne. This Robert Corrin holds this land together with William Clague from 1605 until 1638. In 1639 John Corrin, probably a son of Robert, holds the land with William Clague who in 1640 is replaced by Henry Clague. In 1650it is held by John Corrin and Henry Clague who hold it until at least 1667. In 1675 it is held by John Corrin and William Clague (born 1641). In 1686 the name Ballagawne appears in the manorial roll showing John Corrin Ballagawne and William Clague holding the property.
John Corrin and William Clague continue to hold the property until 1695 when they have a 3rd party living on the farm, John Clark. The marriage agreement between John Corrin and William Clague and their wives regarding the marriage of their children John Corrin and Jony Clague is dated 1697.
The very first Robert who arrived in 1605 was probably born about 1570-5. He died in 1638 at about 65 years old. His son John born about 1600, took over the farm in 1639 and died about 1665. His son John born about 1625 took over in 1665 and died about 1686 as there is a date on the manorial records that there was a change in the Corrin person holding the property at that time. His son John born about 1650 died in 1704 at about 50 years. His son John born about 1675 married Joney Clague in 1698. He died in 1759.
While there may be a good deal of assumption on some of these points we can be fairly certain about Robert as he probably died when his son took over the farm in 1638. We know by his will that John Corrin died in 1704 and that his son took over half the farm in 1697 through the marriage contract. This would mean he probably died at a younger than normal age. We know a John Corrin held the farm from 1639 until 1700.
Where did Robert Corrin come from in 1605?
Regarding Onchan, Lonan and Malew we have reviewed the manorial rolls for the time concerned and find one Robert Corryne in Kirk Michael treen Malew in 1580. There was also a Robt Corrin in Rushen in 1539. The Kk Michael property is held by Gilbt Corrin in 1601.
Gilbt McCorryn comes to Arbory probably no sooner than 1560 as he holds the land in Ardary and Ballafadda treens until 1604. He had 3 properties, Ardary 2nd quarterland Wm Quillium 4s, Gilbt Corrin 10s 10d, total 14s 10d. In Ardary he also had a 5th quarterland with Rich Quillium 10s total and a small quarterland in Ballafadda 4s 4d. The 1st quarterland in Ardary is held until 1597 when it is taken over by Thomas Curghie and Ann his wife. In 1604, the 2nd property in Ardary is taken over by Thomas and the property in Ballafadda by Gilbt Curghie. These properties remain with the Curghies until 1620 when a Richard Corrin takes over a piece of property in the same quarterland and what appears to be next to that held by Thomas Curghie and wife Ann. Between 1632 and 1650, Thomas and his wife die and the property is taken over by Wm Curghie.
Gilbt Corrin it appears did not have any sons to pass his land. Instead Ann may have been his daughter and married Thomas Curghie who took over the land. A Gilbt Curghie who took over the Ballafadda land may have been a grandson.
The above mentioned Richard Corrin has 2 sons George and John. In his will dated the 20th April 1660 Richard passes his property on to his son George. The land passes from Richard and George to Elizabeth Waterson his daughter and the property passes on to Watersons. George's brother John seems to have lived on the same property and has a son John who does not marry and passes his share of the estate to the Watersons.
Gybbon McCorene arrived in Arbory probably about the same time as Gilbt, (about 1560) and took up 2 properties in Colby treen. His son John takes over both properties between 1589 and 1597. There is no change or division in these properties until 1632 when we assume John's sons William, Donald and John take over this as well as other properties in the Colby treen. The only possibility we have here is that John had a younger brother Robert who had an inheritance to allow him to take over the Norris land. Their ages are close as John died in 1632, Robert in 1638, however, this family never took up land in Ballacarmyk, but rather expanded their holdings in Colby, north to Aristyn and west to Kk Patrick in Rushen.
With the 1540 Lib Assed data shown elsewhere, Robert could have come from Malew as Robert was a name used by the McCorryns in that area. On the other hand John was not a commonly used name by the McCorryns anywhere except in Arbory.
We have assumed that Robert was most likely a member of one of the Corrin families in Ballacarmyk or Colby. Robert’s eldest son, grandson and great grandson are named John, so there is strong likelihood that his father was also John. If he was born about 1570, which John Corrin would be his father ?
In tracing all the possible candidates for Robert's father we arrive at John Corrin who died about 1590 passing his property on to Thomas his son who probably was born about 1560. Robert could have been a younger brother born about 1565-70 obtaining his share of the family inheritance in 1604 when his brother Thomas divides the family farm. This may have been when the mother died and she left her share of the estate to Robert and any other living children. It would have enabled the family to take back the McGawne property in 1605 from Gilbt Norris when we assume he died.
Thomas Corrin appears to have not had a son to take over his Ballacarmyk property as the entire property is passed on to Joane Corrin in 1614 who was probably his wife. In 1620 the mother Joane probably died as the property passes to Margt Corrin, probably a daughter, who holds it for over 55 year as it stays with her until some time after 1675.