Stephen, this is the same as what I sent you in a Word doc earlier. Posting here for the benefit of anyone researching the same lines. -- Greg
Henry Kaighin christened 5 July 1767, Kirk German, son of David Kaighin and Elizabeth
Lace. Buried 4 October 1849, Kirk German. Married Margaret Creer 5
September 1808, St. Nicholas, Liverpool. Margaret was buried 25 Nov 1832
in Kirk German. They had the following children:
1. Elizabeth, christened 10 Dec 1809, K. Braddan
2. Jane, christened 4 May 1811, K. Braddan
3. Mary Ann, christened 20 Jun 1813, K. Braddan, buried 17 Nov 1866, K. German.
Married Thomas Gorry 20 Jun 1835, K. German
5. Margaret, christened 29 Aug 1819, K. German
6. Henry, christened 10 Feb 1822, K. German
4. John christened 17 Jan 1816, Kirk Braddan. m. 26 Aug 1839 Braddan, Mary Nichol
b. c1817 Scotland. John died after the 1891 census.
Marriage record spelling: Caghan and Nichol. Marriage
record shows Mary born in Scotland. From Mona Christian:
“I am not exactly sure of John Kaighin’s parentage - it
could be Henry Kaighin and Margaret Creer” Mary was
buried 10 February 1881 in Kirk German.
1. John Jonah Alexander christened 6 February 1841 (Also christened on
the 19th - may have been difficult birth) Kirk
German, Peel m. 10 Jan 1863 Braddan, Catherine
Esther Cannel b. christened 8 Dec 1844 Kirk
Marown, John died 22 Sep 1896.
1. Agnes Anne chrs. 19 Feb 1865 Kirk Braddan. Married William
Killen. May have emigrated to Canada.
2. Eleanor Jane chrs. 14 Jun 1867 Kirk Braddan. Last recorded in
the 1871 census.
3. Mary chrs. 8 Oct 1869 Kirk German, Peel m. Mr. Starkey
4. Catherine Margaret “Kate” chrs. 4 Aug 1871 Kirk Braddan d. 18
Nov 1952 Douglas. m. 10 Jul 1889
Braddan, William Edward Kewley b. ? d.16
Oct 1929 Douglas. GG Grandmother of Mona
Christian (see notes below)
1. John b. c1891 Douglas. Disappeared from the IOM & is
thought to have emigrated to
2. Katherine Mona b. 27 Mar 1893 Douglas m. 1 Jun 1914,
d. 22 Mar 1967 Douglas
3. Charles b. 1896 Douglas
5. Alexander Nichol chrs. 4 Jul 1873 Kirk Braddan. Died after the
1881 census, but cannot be found in any other
records. His uncle Henry named a child born in
1897 Alexander Nichol Kaighin (maybe in memory of
6. Mary Anne chrs. 23 Jul 1875 Kirk German, buried 27 Jul 1875
7. Georgina. Born 15 Apr 1877 Kirk German, buried 23 May 1878
8. Frances Ann “Annie” b. c1879 4 May 1879 Ramsey. Christened 7
Nov 1880, Ramsey. Married Charles William
Kneale, 10 Oct. 1908 at Ramsey St. Paul’s.
9. Lydia Maud b. Born 11 June 1881, Ramsey, buried 20 Sep 1950,
Douglas, Braddan Cemetery, spoke Manx. m. William
Henry Moore 30 Jan 1910, Douglas, St. George.
5. Peggy (Lydia Margaret)
6. Anne Gladys b. 23 October 1923 m. 6 Oct 1945
Bedlington, Northumberland William James
Hindhaugh b. 7 October 1923
10. John Thomas Alexander b. 8 June 1883, Ramsey, Kirk Christ
Lezayre. Buried 9 July 1962, Douglas, Braddan
Cemetery. Married (1) Catherine Cannel, and (2)
Margaret A. Simmons. By Margaret he had a
daughter Gladys born in the September quarter of
1916 Birkenhead. He had three other children,
but which marriage they came from is unclear.
Their names were John, Alec and Mamie, birthdates
11. Esther Idalia b. 2 Aug 1885, Ramsey. Two husbands, ? Graham
and H. Moyle.
12. Francis Susannah chrs. c1887 born 5 Dec 1887, Douglas.
Buried 26 Aug 1888, Kirk Braddan. 8mos old.
Birth index shows parents as Alexander Kaighen
and Catherine Cannon (see
3. Thomas Harrison christened 17 Mar 1843 Peel, Kirk German, I.O.M. Died
after the 1861 census (cannot be found in IOM after this)
4. Agnes christened 23 Jan 1846 Kirk German, Peel. Married Richard
Duggan 20 Aug 1865, Kirk Braddan. Had 10 children, Mary
Jane, Thomas Richard, Rebecca Jane, Margaret Jane, John
Henry, Mary Agnes, Mary Ann, Catherine Eva Bertha,
William, Mona Jane. Agnes was buried 26 Jan 1910 in Kirk
5. Jane Elizabeth christened 5 Jul 1850 Kirk German, Peel. Occupation
(1871) Net Weaver m. 12 May 1872 Kirk German,
George Clague b. c1850 Peel. Illegitimate son William
Clague residing with mother Jane and grandparents John
and Mary Kaighin at Backgreen No. 5, Peel in 1871 IOM
1. William b. c1870 Peel
2. Mary b. c1875 Peel
3. George b. c1881 Peel
4. Alice b. c1884 Douglas
5. John b. c1886 Douglas
6. Bertha b. c1890 Douglas
7. Margaret b. c1893 Douglas
6. Margaret b. c1853 Peel Occupation (1871) Net Weaver. Married John
Gorry 1 Sep 1872, Kirk Braddan
7. Mary Elizabeth christened 14 Jul 1854 Kirk German, Peel. Occupation:
Domestic Servant, General (1871) m. William Quirk b.
c1850. Married 18 Mar 1876, Kirk Braddan
1. William b. c1878 Peel
2. Brighton b. c1880 Peel
3. Catherine b. c1881 Peel
8. Henry christened 13 Feb 1857 Kirk German, Peel m. 22 Jun 1878 Kirk
German, Margaret “Maggie” Christian b. C1856, daughter of
Charles Christian. Henry died in the June quarter
of 1933 in Whitehaven, Cumbria. Member of Peel Lifeboat.
From Mona Christian: "he was a lifeboatman and one of
those who were involved in the rescue of those on the
George - all the crew members were awarded a Bible
and a medal by the governor."
1. Christian Florence christened 3 Jan 1879, Kirk German, born 23
Dec 1878. Married in the December quarter
of 1899 in Whitehaven, Cumbria to either James
Wignall or James Hemsall
2. Henry Charles, christened 20 Sep 1880, Kirk German. Buried 27
Sep 1880, Kirk German (infant).
3. Miriam Amelia b. c1882 Peel, died after 1905, may have moved
to South Africa. Married John Jackson or Alfred
Litt in the December quarter of 1905 in Whitehaven
4. Henry c1884 (eight years old at death in 1892). Buried 31
July 1892, Kirk German.
5. Herbert John b. c1888. Emigrated to Canada, yet was buried
in Kirk Braddan 8 Dec 1959. Married Ethel Till
in Burnaby, BC, Canada on 26 Jun 1909. Ethel
died 23 April 1979 in North Vancouver, BC age 96.
6. Gordon c. Jul 1890 Peel. Gordon cannot be found in any
records after the 1891 census.
7. Alexander Nichol Sr. born in the September quarter of 1897 in
Whitehaven, Cumbria. The family moved to
Whitehaven sometime between Gordon’s birth in
1890 and Alexander’s birth. Married Sarah I.
Storey in the March quarter of 1920 in
Whitehaven. Died in the September quarter of
1962 in Whitehaven. Sarah's death recorded in
the June quarter of 1946 in Whitehaven.
Notes and links:
For Census records of this family see:
For births, marriages, deaths of the Whitehaven family see:
The UK BMD index
Kaighin burial records in the Isle of Man
Posts on various bulletin boards relevant to this family
Herbert John Kaighin can be found here: