Views of the Isle of Man published by J. Mylrea 1846-55

Some of the most attractive steel engraved views of the Island were published by J Mylrea during the 1840's and 1850's. Mylrea also published the magnificent Burkill views in 1857.

The views are numbered and generally dated - the initial digit would appear to relate to the year of engraving and possibly a set number as the numbers are not in date sequence. Several were given number 202 and issued in 1851.

A number of larger views, 155 x 105mm, were issued in 1846/7 (my copies are on China paper); these appear to have been copied and reduced to the usual 105 x 75mm size some five years later.

Generally no engraver's name is shown - early prints have 'J Mylrea, Stationers, Douglas' though some of the later prints (numbered 4xx) have 'London, J.Harwood, 26 Fenchurch St' on left and 'pub by J.Mylrea' on right. (The firm J.F.Harwood issued three sets (each of 49 vignettes) - though not of Manx views, under title Scenery of Great Britain in 1841-2 as well as other sets of such vignettes. [see R.Russell Guide to British Topographical Prints David & Charles 1979])

It is not clear how they were issued - the larger format were issued as single prints however the smaller format prints have been seen gathered together but without any cover papers.
The illustrations are generally those of the smaller prints which have been coloured (in some cases recently). I have grouped into subjects - it is likely that sets of mixed subjects would be sold.

Douglas

Douglas

Viewed from near Fort William, to west of site of Fort Anne. Victoria pier is still 25 years in the future.

The larger format is number 689 and dated 1 Aug 1846. The smaller format, number 207 dated July 1851, differs in some respects in changed figures and the absence of women laying out washing to dry

Douglas from Battery

Douglas from the Battery

The Battery referred to a small gun enplacement on Douglas Head - the name is now kept in 'Battery Pier'. The tower far left is Harold Tower, the spire is that of the now demolished St Barnabas, St Georges can be seen to its left.

The larger format was issued as No.688 dated Aug 1 1846, the illustrated small format was No 202.

Douglas from Kirk Onchan Road

Douglas from Kirk Onchan Road

Large format number 697 dated 1 Aug 1846

The Market Place, Douglas

The Market Place, Douglas

Illustrates Old St Matthews in the Market Place - built 1707 and demolished 1897.

The larger format was issued as No.691 dated July 4 1846, the illustrated small format was No 205 dated 24 June 1851.

Castle Mona and Promenade

Castle Mona & Promenade, Douglas

Castle Mona, to right of view, was built as the residence of the Duke of Atholl in 1804 to the design of George Steuart. It was converted to an hotel in 1835 and still operates as such.

The building on the hillside right of picture is presumeably Falcon Cliff.

Small format number 419 dated 25 June 1855


Kirk Braddan Church

Kirk Braddan Church

A common subject for many views of the time - for a history of Kirk Braddan see under parishes. The graveyard would appear to have been somewhat idealised in this view.

The larger format was issued as No.756 dated Oct 11 1847, the illustrated small format was No 202


Castle Rushen

Castle Rushen

Small format number 413 dated 11 June 1855. Castle Rushen has seen little change, however the left bank of the harbour is now empty except for Bridge House seen towering over the drawbridge,

Castletown + Castle Rushen

Castletown with Castle Rushen & King William's College

Larger format number 693 dated 4 July 1846; small format number 202 dated 14 June 1851.

Castletown

Castletown

Viewed from Scarlett Head

Castletown + KWC

Castletown & King William's College

Viewed from Derby Haven, King William's College is visible extreeme right.

Small format number 416 dated 19 June 1855.

Spanish Head

Spanish Head and Port St Mary Viewed from Scarlett Head

The Calf of Man is visible extreme left.

Small format number 414 dated 11 June 1855


Laxey Valley

The Valley Church and Bay, Laxey
The Church is the then recently built ChristChurch.

Smaller format number 417 dated 19 June 1855

Lady Isabella (Laxey Wheel)

The World's largest Water Wheel, Laxey

Lady Isabella Wheel, 72½ feet in diameter was opened in 1854, built to drive pumps for Great Laxey Mine


Peel Castle

Peel Castle

The larger format numbered 690 was dated July 4 1846; the illustrated small format was numbered

Peel Castle + Town

Peel Castle & Town

Small format number 418 dated 25 June 1855


Ramsey

Ramsey

Viewd from North Ramsey around what is now Mooragh Lake and Park formed in 1901.

The small format was number 202 and dated 14 June 1851. Large format number 692 Aug 1 1846.


 Manx Note Book   [Views Index]


switch to frames viewAny comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2001