Five Lithographic Views in the Isle of Man


This undated collection of five views was probably published c.1845. Sketched and drawn on stone by G. Wilkinson and published by Day and Haghe, London.

The firm of Day and Haghe was created by Louis Haghe, a Belgian, who transferred the images to stone, and William Day who printed them. The firm which became lithographers to both William IV & Queen Victoria became Day & Co from 1852.
(see R.Russell Guide to British Topographical Prints David & Charles 1979)

The front cover shows the House of Industry, Douglas, which was designed by John Welch in 1834.



The road in the foreground is Bowling Green Road showing the Ropewalk which was washed away early 20th Century.
To the right of the Castle is Lorne House which was then the seat of the Lt Governor. In the background to the left of the castle can be seen the lantern of St Mary's Church

Douglas from Derby Castle

Town and Bay of Douglas, from Derby Castle

Derby Castle at the north of Douglas Bay was acquired in 1877 by Douglas advocate Mr. A.N.Laughton who built a dance hall in its grounds. These formed the start of the Derby Castle complex. This complex was bought by Douglas Coporation in 1964 and the ill-fated Summerland complex built on its site - in 1973 a fire here killed some 50 people in the worse civil disaster in the Island's history


Kirby from the Peel Road

House built 1813-1816 by Col Wilks, later sold to Drinkwater's

Peel Castle

Part of the Interior of Peel Castle

Shows St German's Cathedral and beyond Peel Bay and town.


The Nunnery from the Hermitage

Built on the site of the old Douglas Priory or Nunnery.

 Manx Note Book   [Views Index]

switch to frames viewAny comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2001