Loch Promenade

The Loch Promenade, named after the energetic Governor Loch, built on reclaimed land opened in 1878, running from the end of Victoria street along the bay for some 2,500yards to meet the Ramsey road (a continuation of Duke Street and Strand street) - self financed by selling the reclaimed land behind the sea wall which was quickly occupied by terraces of impressive Boarding houses.

07362 The Promenade, Douglas

The early Valentine's postcard, probably dating from late 1890's, shows the sweep of the four storey boarding houses with the somewhat discordant Primitive Methodist church near the centre - these boarding houses were designed and built by several architects and builders but achieved their uniformity by adhering to the window and roof lines - they would have a storage cellar that extended in front of the property under the roadway - the ground floor was somewhat above the road level and the set of steps gave rise to the custom of their clients sitting there in the evening to enjoy the view and to chat to promenaders.

The photo (taken as a monochrome photo then over painted) shws the terminus of the cable car that ran up Prospect Hill, behind which is the Jubilee Clock - the Villiers Hotel (now demolished) marked the start of the long sweep of the boarding houses - the horse tram ran along the length of all the promenades terminating at the Crescent. Behind and to the right of the photographer was the Victoria Terminal. Today's view is somewhat different as a second sea wall was built in the 1930's and the gap between the two filled in to provide a series of sunken gardens


Return to Douglas Index
  Douglas Promenades

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2009