[From William Cooper's Castletown]

Malew Street south side from no. 15

Cooper's Text Notes by Eva Wilson
From now on I do not remember who lived in all the
houses, but on the left [15 Malew Street] the shop now
occupied by Mr. E. Moore is on the site of the house of the
Miss Kitchens, Milliners and Dressmakers, It was pulled
down and the present house erected by Mr. R. Qualtrough
[who] went by the name Dick Nancy. It was built by my
father when I was an apprentice about 1887. When Mr.
Qualtrough retired it was taken over by a Mr. Thorburn who
had been an assistant with him.
H. & E. Cubbon fishmongers. Peveril house. This is one of the tallest
houses in Castletown, three-storeyed with dormers. Built of red brick
with yellow brick facings and a moulded frieze. The red brick would have
come from Ruabon in North Wales. The yellow brick came from
Flintshire, where it was taken as return ballast goods in the Island's ore
trade with North Wales. In a different context Cooper names the
architect, Daniel Cregeen, C. E., a Manxman and Chartered Engineer.
Daniel Cregeen is said to have worked on the Panama Canal.
The fishmongers closed down in 2005.
The next [17 Malew Street] was the shop of Mr. J.
Rothwell, Confectioner, and in my time was kept by his
daughter, Miss Rothwell. It is still owned by the family, Mr.
Rothwell's great-grandson, Mr. W. Cubbon.
"Bill the Barber". Together with nos. 19-21, this building, with its fine
shop-front, is at present subject to planning applications for the
development of the area through to 18-22 Arbory Street. Some
excavations were carried out in 1991-1992. At 17 Malew Street, the rear
part of the surviving building appears to consist of a seventeenth century
structure, while the front part is a nineteenth century addition, bringing
the building forward to the street frontage.21 It is likely that there have
been changes in the original layout of the streets here involving the
junction with Bank Street.
The next was the shop of Mr. John Taggart, grocer, and
afterwards of his nephew, Mr. T. M. Dodd, and then by Mr.
W. A. E. Pollock. It is now a fruiterers.
The next was a baker's shop kept by Miss Cubbon. The
family name was Cubbon Cut.
I do not remember who came next but for a long time this
house was occupied by Mr. George Corrin, gardener, who
kept a greengrocery and crockery shop. It is now occupied
by his son.
19-21 Malew Street The former Sunflower Diner is now empty. Both
businesses mentioned next by Cooper appear to have been where the
Health Food Shop is now. Both were included in the large grocers',
wine and spirit shop of T. M. Dodd. Behind the shops were a mineral
water and bottling factory and storage areas, with outlets through arches
to Arbory Street.
Wilson, born in 1900 (see Queen Street), remembers:
'The shop was quite wide and large, on the right they dealt with
provisions, bacon, butter, eggs and large cheeses and so on, on the left
were general groceries. The staff were men, five or six of them, I
remember they wore white coats down to their knees. In the middle of the
shop was a rack with a display of fancy goods, such as chocolates and
fancy ginger biscuits, things like that. The upper part of the office, where
the lady clerk sat with her books - her name was Ada Sayle, was glassed
in, with a window in it. Tom Dodd was the only grocer in the Island, as far
as I know, who ever had a connecting system between the shop assistant
on the floor, and the lady in the office, whereby the invoice and the money
was put in a cup, a string was pulled which propelled the cup along a cable
to the office.' Further back still was a factory for manufacturing lemonade
and mineral water.
T. M. Dodd died in 1912, see also Chronk-my-Chree, Arbory Road.
The next [23 Malew Street] I remember anything about is
the one now occupied by Mr. Kinrade, grocer. It was
occupied by Mr. Kennaugh, grandfather of Mr. Kennaugh
Redgap. He kept horses and traps and stables and sheds for
traps behind the house with entrance from Arbory St. The
part behind the stables was converted into [a] storeroom by
Mr. T. M. Dodd with [an] arch of dressed limestone for
entrance. It is now a builder's store.
Cooper's memory did not in fact fail him. This entry refers to the Pet
Food Shop next door. Mr. Kinrade, grocer, is also remembered for his
horse-drawn milk-float.
The next three were bought by Mr. R. Corlett so that he
could enlarge the premises in Arbory St. I do not know
much about them. The first was for a long time a crockery-
ware shop kept by Miss M. Quayle until she retired. The
next two went by the name of Big Steps as the floor was
higher than the parapet and had steps up to it. The only
tenant I remember in them was Mr. Dowling a man who, I
understand, came to work at the Chicken Rock Lighthouse,
married a Manx woman, and stayed here. He had a son,
Robert, who went to school with me and later joined the
Liverpool Police.
25-29 Malew Street. These properties are now private dwellings; no. 29
divided into two units. See also R. Corlett, grocer, 24 and 28 Arbory
The next [31 Malew Street] was the corn store, the date is
on a stone at the front. The first I remember there was Mr.
Thomas Sansbury and his brother-in-law, Mr. Robert
Collister, and afterwards, for a short time, by Mr. Richard
Kneen until he gave up and took over Mr. J. Clague's
coalyard. It is now Mr. Holmes' bakehouse and store.
Fortune Castle Restaurant. The stone plaque above the door has
recently been painted over and is now very faint. It reads 'Saint John
and Catherine 1714'. This refers to the Saint family who owned land
both in Arbory Street and Malew Street.
The next [33 Malew Street] was a public house kept by a
Mr. George Clarke, who went by the name of Foreign
George. It was later altered and made into a dwelling house
by Mr. John Taggart, grocer, and his widow lived in it until
she died. It is called Mona House.
Mona House. In 1990 the land at the rear became attached to the
garden of Bagnio House, 32 Arbory Street. The old coach house was
rebuilt - using the original stone - as Mona Cottage.
The next [35 Malew Street] was built by Mr. John Gelling,
joiner, who had his workshop behind with entrance by a
passage through the house. It is now occupied by his
daughter and son-in-law, Mr. W. G. Watterson.
The present owner has kindly allowed me access to the Deeds. They
reveal that the house was sold by Public Auction in 1885 to cover John
Gelling's debts. It was sold to Philip James Kegg, grocer. He was a
batchelor and, when he died in 1919, the house was sold to Thomas
Karren of Balthane, farmer. It is his daughter and son-in-law Cooper
remembers `now occupying' the house. Cooper is not always right!
The next [37 Malew Street] was the house and shop of Mr.
James Corrin, painter, who wore a top hat and went by the
name of Belter. After his death it was kept by his widow
and two sons, Richard and William, and then by William,
who went by the name of Billa, to distinguish him from
another William Corrin, painter. After he died it was carried
on by his son, Stanley Bowman, who died two years ago.
The next was a ruin which went by the name of Kinnishes'.
Crichton House is now a fairly substantial house, of similar design to
no. 37 and, like the previous two, now in private occupation.
Next [41 Malew Street] was the house and cowhouse of
Mrs. Quayle. It was after made into a greengrocer's shop.
Mr. George Quine did this and afterwards added the
cowhouse to the shop. It is now occupied by his daughter.
The Curtain Shop.
The Tennis Courts in my young days was the garden of
Mr. John Martin. It was made into the Courts when I was
very young and, when my sisters took me to the opening
ceremony, they were told to take me home, as children were
not admitted. The Officers of the Regiment stationed here at
the time had a lot to do with the making of the Courts and
the soldiers did most of the labouring work in connection
with the levelling and laying out
From here on there are now no more shops in Malew Street, all houses
are in private occupation.
I do not remember much about the next house [49 Malew
Street]. The first tenant I remember was Mr. John Cubbon,
stonecutter, until he removed to Albert Terrace, The Crofts.
The next [51 Malew Street] was a grocery shop occupied
by Mr. Robert Boyd and is still a grocer's shop kept by a
Mr. Evans.
The next house [53 Malew Street] was occupied by a Mrs
Willams and her niece Miss Florence Hausewell
The next [55 Malew Street] was the house of Mr. Charlie
Clague who was Dr. Clague's coachman and went by the
name of Charlie the Doctor. When Dr. Clague died he left
him the house and the garden, now the Bowling Green, and
he put up greenhouses and started as a market gardener.
The next [57 Malew Street] was the shop of Mr. Wallace
who had the garden in the Crofts, where the Bowling Green
now is, and had a greengrocer's shop there. It was
afterwards bought by Dr. Clague, who left the house to his
nephew and nieces, his sister's children named Wood. The
two Miss Wood were burnt in a fire, which started in the
kitchen, and they were not found until a woman, who
worked for them, called in the morning and got no answer.
The brothers had died before and the family is now ended.
The Bowling Green. The gardens mentioned here, were bought by the
Castletown Commissioners in 1946 from the then owner, Edward
Leaman. This was in order that it would remain an open space, and for a
Bowling Green to be established here. The official opening took place in
July 1950. It was decided that the Bowling Green was to be open on
Sundays ...'not for play, but to allow those desirous to stroll around or sit
in the very pleasant surroundings.'
The next was a baker's shop kept by a Mr. Clarke. It was
afterwards a brawn and pickle shop and again a baker's
shop kept by a Mr. W. Kelly for a number of years. It is
now a radio repair shop.
59 Malew Street. The living quarters are on the left and the bake house,
on the right, is still intact and extends into the yard at the back, with the
bake oven still in place - and, says the owner, ready to use. There is
also a small stable in the back yard. The horse, needed to make
deliveries, would have had to be taken through the house to the street.
Of the next two [61-63 Malew Street] I do not remember
who lived in them. Mr. John Gelling Junior once told me
that his father lived in it at the time of the great snow in
1895. The morning after the storm he had to get out through
the bedroom window. Mr. R. Killey, stonecutter, lived in
one. He was married to Mr. J. Cubbon, stonecutter's,
daughter. After Mr. Cubbon's death he took over the works
in Hope St.
I do not remember who lived in the next [65 Malew Street]
but it was repaired and done up some years ago by a Mr.
Collister from Rushen.
The next [67 Malew Street] was the house of Mr. Cannell,
tailor, and his sons Sam and Fred. Sam was a tailor and kept
on the business and Fred, who went by the name of
Freddles, was an apprentice with Kermode, Sr., baker.
House now occupied by Sam's son.
The next was an old house occupied by several women, one
of them had a broken nose and went by the name of Kitty
Nosey. She died of suffocation; a piece of meat stuck in her
throat. The old house was pulled down and the present
house, built by Mr. Albert Corlett who lived in it until he
died, and his widow then went and lived in the Crofts.
69 Malew Street. In another context Cooper remembers Albert
Corlett:...'he went by the name of Alby Crowe. He was undersized and
deformed. There was a song going in my young days, the first verse was
something like this:
There are four boys in Castletown,
Who to the College go,
There's Preston, Quinney, Obediah,
And little Alby Crowe.... The last line repeated many times.'
It seems Albert Corlett did very well, he also built Albert Terrace, the
Crofts, named after him.
[71 Malew Street] The first occupant I remember was John
Quayle after he left being caretaker of the Town Hall. It was
afterwards occupied by Mr. John Corlett, joiner, who put a
shop window in it, and lived in it until he removed to
Victoria Road It is now a private house occupied by Mr.
Leece, baker.
The next [73 Malew Street] was the shoe-shop of Mr. Peter
Gell. He lived to a good age and was an active man on his
feet. His daughter lived here until she moved to Arbory
The next, now pulled down to widen the corner, was
occupied by John Kelly, mason, who went by the name of
Kelly Heckles.
The first house above the Crofts [77 Malew Street] was the
home of the Cubbon family all my life until a few years ago
and they sold it to a Mr. Gardner. The family went by the
name of the Difties
The next three houses [79-83 Malew Street] were owned
by the Misses Qualtrough who were from the Little Mill,
Kentraugh. I remember, when a lad, going to the first to
have a couple of teeth pulled out by Mr. Home, dentist. It
was then occupied by Mr. Austin, barber, and afterwards
occupied by Mr. Robert Collister, who was a carter for Mr.
T. M. Dodd. Afterwards for Mr. R. Corlett, grocer. Now
occupied by one of his daughters. The Misses Qualtrough
occupied one of the others themselves, but I cannot
remember who occupied the other.
The next [85 Malew Street] was occupied by Mr. John
Tate, a general labourer. The next was a thatched cottage,
now pulled down and a garage made on the site.
87 Malew Street. At some time the garage was replaced by the building
now on this site.
[There were] two cottages and a stable between [the] old
cottage and Mrs. Gale's. The first tenant I remember in the
first was Mr. (Ned) R? Quine, mason, until he removed to
Arbory Street. The other, and stable, was occupied by Mr.
E. Kewin, who kept a horse, and did carting work and
delivered coal from the boats. He was rather fond of beer,
but used to take spells of sobriety when he would talk about
fools spending their money on beer, but the sober spells
would not last long.
The next was the house and building occupied by Mrs. Gale
and her three daughters, who kept cows and took in
boarders. This house and buildings are old and at one time,
I think, would be a farmhouse and buildings. The next was
occupied by Mr. Tom Hudgeon, gardener, from whom my
father got some of his first apple trees.
The next was Teddy Callow's stable and garden and the
garden of Mrs Gale's house which here came to the street.
Mr. Blackburn bought Mrs. Gale's place and pulled this
part down and built garages.
93-97 Malew Street, Hazelcroft. `Blackburn's Workshop' has been
developed recently and divided into two units, 97 and 97 A.
Further development, conversions and refurbishment on this side of
Malew Street makes it difficult to relate the houses mentioned by Cooper
to the buildings here today.
The next house was occupied by Teddy Callow's
grandfather and afterwards by Teddy, who had an old horse
called Prince and did general carting. He did carting for my
father and, if you wanted his cart first thing in the morning,
a lad would have to be sent over to knock him up. After the
old horse died he became a general labourer.
The next was occupied by Mr. Caley who kept donkeys and
went round the country buying old iron etc. He was the
father of Peg-Leg-Caley who went about waylaying people
on the roads about forty years ago. I have heard my sister
saying that, when he removed from Malew St to Arbory St.,
the youngest [child] was brought over asleep in one of
Caley's donkey carts. That was before my time.
The next two houses, one of which was occupied by Mr.
Edward Hudson, father of Hudson, leather merchant, of
Douglas; but I do not remember who occupied the other.
The next two houses and shop were rebuilt in my time. The
shop was a butcher's shop with slaughter-house at the back,
but it did not last for long.
The next was the house of John Cooil who was skipper of a
nickey and in the winter time worked for Mr. Joseph
Qualtrough mending nets. The house is now unoccupied
and has been for some years.
The first tenant I remember in the first [last?] house was
Mr. Kelly, general factotum at the College, who went by the
name of Kelly Polly, and also Kelly Button. It is now
occupied by his daughter and husband.
The next terrace is the start of the School Hill Estate.


21 Davey, P. J. et al, op. cit. p. 64.

  Back index next  

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML © F.Coakley , 2011