Parliament House (old House of Keys)

Parliament House (Old House of Keys)Originally the Keys met in Castle Rushen but they were forced out and built a meeting house in Castletown opposite the Castle Entrance. This was the old library built by Bishop Wilson:

 

woodcut of old House of Keys

The present building was a remodelling by Thomas Brine.
Sold in 1877 to Dumbell's bank and continued as a bank until 1990's - after lying unused for some years it was acquired by Manx National Heritage and now restored to its appearance when last used as the Keys' meeting place.

References


 [Castletown Index]

   

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2001