German German - locator map

THE parish of GERMAN (from St. Germanus, a disciple of St. Patrick and appointed by him bishop of Man) extends from the river Neb to Glen Cam along the coast, and from the sea to Greeba and Slieau Ruy. It is a rough hilly district, consisting of the western slopes of the central mountain ridge and the western hills to the sea, with the deep depressions of Glen Moar and Glen Helen dividing them. It also includes the western portion of the great central valley. It contains the source and upper course of the Dhoo (' The Dark River' ), one of the main feeders of the Douglas: and the entire course of the Neb, or Peel River, from its source on SartFell to its embouchure at Peel. The greater part of the district is barren mountain land, but in the sheltered lowlands the soil is good and carefully cultivated. A large part of the valley between Greeba and St. John's is boggy, and subject to floods. The district is agricultural, and the population partly agricultural and partly fishing. The town of Peel is within the boundary of this parish. St. John's, a small agricultural village at the foot of Slieau Whallin, contains the Tynwald Hill, from which the Manx laws are promulgated. Near it is St. John's Chapel, in which, on certain occasions, the Manx Legislature holds its sittings. It is also the junction of the Northern and Southern railways. Glen Helen, the upper part of Glen Moar, is a beautifully wooded glen, containing the falls of Rhenass. It is much frequented by visitors.

Brown's Isle of Man Directory, 1894

 [Manx Note Book]     Parish Index

switch to frames view Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley, 2006