[From The Manx Quarterly, #29 - 1923]

Memorial Notices


Died May 4th, 1922

Dr. Frederick C. Blakiston, medical superintendent of the I.O.M. Mental Hospital, died on May 4th, from pneumonia. He was appointed in July, 1919, after having held army rank as Lieut.-Colonel and having been principal medical officer in the Merchant Shipping Department, and medical superintendent of the Admiralty hospital at Chepstow, Monmouth, he had immense professional ability, and was simply idolised by those with whom he came into contact. He was 46 years old, and leaves a widow and three young children.

Dr. Blakiston, following the example of his predecessor, Dr. Richardson, displayed an ardent enthusiasm for cricket, and under his guidance the Asylum team maintained its high reputation. Gentlemen who came to play in occasional matches cannot find words to express their sense of the doctor's single-mindedness and courtesy. In his earlier life, he had also gone in for Rugby football, and a namesake and relation of his plays for Blackheath, and has been an International.

The funeral took place, by the doctor's own request. in the remote but picturesque churchyard of "Keeill Abban," Baldwin.


Died May 16th, 1922.

Mr James Blackburn, one of the most popular figures in Castletown, passed away on Tuesday, May 16th, at the age of 61 years. A house carpenter by trade, Mr Blackburn was one of the best artisans in the Island; no one was ever prouder of a good job, or more appreciative of a good job done by someone else. His apprenticeship was served with Mr James Cooper, and for a number of years he carried out the principal work of the town while the building of most of the promenade houses on Fort Island also lies to his credit. For the last twenty years he was employed by Ms J. W. Corrin, now Chairman of the Castletown Town Commissioners'. Secretary to the Hope and Anchor Lodge of Oddfellows, he was also a Past Provincial Grand Master and was well-known in labour circles. A widower. he having married a Miss Duke, he leaves four children, Lily (Mrs Woodworth), Bessie, Annie, and Robert Holmes, who was recently elected to the Castletown Board of Guardians. The passing of " Blackburn,'' as he was affectionately known to most Castletown people, came with staggering suddenness. He had only ailed for a couple of days and very few, if any, were prepared for such a sudden end. The funeral took place this afternoon and was largely attended, the interment being in Malew Churchyard.


John Boyd

Died September 16th, 1922.

Mr John Boyd who died at his residence, Ballaquayle Cottage, Douglas, September 16th, was a man with a strong sense of duty, and much of the milk of human kindness. He was for many successive years chairman of the Douglas Poor Law Guardians, to which body he had belonged since its formation in 1888, while he had served for many years on the voluntary organisation which preceded it ; he was secretary of the House of Industry for so long that his personality became almost inseparably associated with the institution; he was a former secretary of the Douglas Coal Fund, he was at the time of his death chairman of the committee of management of the Children's Home, and for a short time had served on the Douglas Lifeboat Committee. His philanthropic labours were officially recognised in 1904, when Governor Raglan appointed him to the Commission of the Peace. Mr Boyd was 81 years old. and had lived in Douglas as a man of leisure for nearly fifty years. As a young man he spent about ten years in Australia. His wife died some twenty years ago, and he is survived by one daughter

Mr George Drinkwater, J.P. presiding at a sitting of the Douglas Magistrates' Court on Sept 30th, made a brief reference to the death of the late Mr John Boyd, J.P. He said that in common with many organisations, especially those of a charitable nature, the Bench had sustained a great loss in the death of a valued colleague He himself had probably been more closely associated with Mr Boyd, in the capacity of magistrate. than anyone else for they sat together for many years, and, selecting August as their month on the rota, the heard a great number of cases. He could therefore testify from his own knowledge that Mr Boyd had many of the attributes necessary for the making of a successful magistrate-a great fund of commonsense strict honesty, a willingness to take pain; local knowledge, and withal great kindness of heart.

Mr H. F. Gelling, on behalf of the Bar associated himself with the remarks that had just fallen from their Worships.


Died September 25th, 1922

Many Douglas people will regret to learn of the death of Mr William J. Shimmin, printer, of Urmston, Manchester which occurred on the above date. Mr Shimmin paid a visit to the Island quite recently, and although he acknowledged himself not in good health at the time, none of his friends anticipated that his illness would have a fatal conclusion. The deceased gentleman, who was 55 years old, served his apprentice ship in the " Examiner " office, and had been in business in Manchester, by himself and in partnership, for many years He was an ardent supporter of the Manchester Manx Society, and at his funeral a wreath in the form of the Three Legs was sent from that organisation. He was one of the founders of the Mona Football Club.


Died September 20th, 1922

Mr Frank John Johnson, who last January relinquished the office of Registrar of Deeds, has unhappily outlived his retirement by only a few months. He died on Sept. 20th, at the age of 71. Mr Johnson, who was the son of Mr Robert Heywood Johnson, printer, of Douglas, entered the service of the late Mr Samuel Harris, High-Bailiff of Douglas and Registrar of Deeds, as a boy, of fifteen; he was Mr Harris' right-hand man for the best part of a lifetime, and he succeeded to his office as Registrar in 1905. He was an admirable public official -scrupulously precise in dealing with matters where precision is essential, but honourable and courteous, and worthy of the highest possible respect. Mr Johnson was also Diocesan Registrar, and many years ago held the position of warden of St. George's Church and superintendent of the Sunday-school connected therewith. He was a trustee of the Baume charity, and a member of the committee of management of the Children's Home ; and it is needless to say that any duties he undertook, he discharged to the uttermost, in letter and in spirit. He leaves a widow, a daughter of the late Captain Robert Gelling, of Douglas, and three sons, two of whom, Mr G. E. Johnson and Councillor Ramsey G. Johnson, practise in Douglas as advocates, while the other, Mr Frank G. Johnson, farms at Ronaldsway, Malew.

The funeral took place on Sept. 23rd. The deceased gentleman was held in the highest admiration and the warmest regard by very many Manx people, and the attendance on this sad occasion was large and representative. The Governor was represented by the Government Secretary, Mr B. E. Sergeaunt, and among others present were Deemster Callow, the Attorney-General, almost every member of the Manx Bar, many office-holders under the Manx Government, clerical and lay representatives of the Manx Church, representatives of Freemasonry, and other well-known public men. The interment took place at St. George's Church, Douglas, where the deceased gentleman was churchwarden and Sunday-school superintendent, and where one of his sons, Councillor Ramsey G. Johnson, is a churchwarden at the present time. The service within the church was conducted by the Lord Bishop, the Rev. Canon Kermode, a former vicar of St. George's, and the Rev. Alfred E. Goode, curate; and the final rites at the graveside were performed by Canon Kermode , the Lord Bishop pronouncing the Benediction. The church organist, Mr G. J. Burtonwood, played " O Rest in the Lord" (Mendelssohn) and the " Dead March in Saul'," and the choir led the chanting of the 39th Psalm and the singing of appropriate hymns. The principal mourners were Messrs. G. S. Johnson, Frank G. Johnson and Ramsey G. Johnson, sons, Messrs. P. R. Johnson, Herbert Oates, Robt.. G; Shimmin, and Thos. S. Aylen, nephews; and Messrs. Robt. Moore and Joseph Royston, cousins.


william clegg
[Photo © Jean Corkett]

Died September 30th 1922.

Mr Wm. Clegg, builder, died at. his residence, "Westville," Douglas, on the above date, after a long illness. The deceased gentleman was 75 years of age, and though born in Liverpool, came from a Manx family, and continuously maintained his association with the Island. For many years he occupied houses both in Liverpool and Douglas, and he and his family constantly travelled backwards and forwards, and for the last ten years he had made Douglas practically his only home. In his prime he built extensively in Liverpool, particularly in the Kensington and Tuebrook districts, and he was also responsible for the erection of various properties in Douglas, among which the handsome dwelling-house in Newsham-terrace may be especially mentioned. In common with several well known Douglas gentlemen, he purchased plots on the Mooragh estate, Ramsey, about thirty years ago and erected large boarding-houses thereon, but it is common knowledge that that speculation did not prove fortunate for any of those engaged in it. In his younger days he spent some years in Adelaide and Sydney. Mr Clegg's wife, who was a Miss Clucas, and a sister of Mrs James Moore and Mrs A. Caley, of Douglas, died about fourteen years ago, and he is survived by two sons, Mr W. Clegg, F.R.C.O., the well-known organist of St Thomas's Church, Douglas, and Mr J. C. Clegg, of Ramsey, and two daughters, who resided with him. A brother, Mr J. Edwin Clegg, dentist, of Douglas, and a sister, Mrs T. Kneen, of Colby, live on the Inland. The deceased gentleman was of a retiring disposition, and found almost his sole interests in his business and among his family, but he was held in high respect and regard by all who knew him.

The interment took place ac the Borough Cemetery on Oct. 3rd. The mourners were Messrs Wm. Clegg and J. Clegg (sons), J. Edwin Clegg (brother) Thos. Kneen, senr, and T. Kneen, junr. (Rushen), W. Claque (Surby), E. H. Jones (Liverpool), W. L. Clague and H. Kinvig (Ramsey), and R. B. Moore (H.M. Attorney-General). Amongst those present to pay a last tribute of respect to deceased were :-Messrs. T. Craine, Edw. Clague, J. E. Fargher. A. Robertson, G. H. Wood, junr., J. Kelly, J. H. Kinley, J. Allen, H. J. Collister, C. H. Kay, W. Burrows, Capt. Cowley, G. J. Burr, D. Christian, W. Quine, Jas. Cowley, J. R. Kelly, D. Corris, T. W. Kelly, G. Green, T. Cubbon (I.O.M. Bank), W. Clague, Horace Callow. W. Kay, J. W. Hyde, R. Corlett, W. Quirk, Ed. Creer, S. Creer, J. J, Spence, D. Kaneen W. Kewley, W. Joughin, F. Nicholson, John Lewin, J. W. Southward, M. Carine, J. Corris, W. J. Holloway, Thomas Kelly, C. Cowan. Robert G. Fargher, Willim Watterson, John Cain, Josiah Goldsmith, Frank Short, W. Kay, E. Fallowfield, W. J. Claque, W, Lewin, H. Kewley, T. Hughes, J. T. Claque, and many others. Rev. N. J. Poole, Vicar of St. Thomas's, conducted the service in the mortuary chapel, in the course of which he eulogised Mr Clegg's business ability, integrity, and kindliness. The Vicar also performed the last solenm rites at the graveside.


Died June 1922.

Mr Edward Cannell, who for many years was well known in business circles in Douglas, passed away in Vancouver, British Columbia. Mr Cannell, who was 61 years old, was the only son of the late Mr James Cannell, Peel agent for the Isle of Man Banking Co., and himself held for a considerable time the post of cashier at that company's head office. Later on he became a partner in the firm of Quiggin & Co., rope merchants, Douglas, and he emigrated about nine years ago. In Canada he devoted himself mainly to fruit-farming. and he was also secretary of the Rotary Club at Vancouver.


Died May 24th, 1922,

An exceedingly: useful and well-respected citizen passed away on May 24th. in the person of Mr James Cooper, retired builder. The deceased gentleman had just completed his 89th year, and though latterly not in robust health, he retained his capacity for taking an intelligent interest in the world around him right to the end. In 1859 he succeeded to the business formerly carried on by his brother, John, and among his achievements were the erection of several of the more modern portions of King William's Church [sic School ?], the erection of the beautiful Abbey Church at Ballasalla, the alteration of the Castletown Wesleyan Church and the reconstruction of many shops in the town. In the days when prisoners still served their sentence at Castle Rushen, Mr Cooper held a contract of the Government for the execution of any necessary repairs at the gaol, Mr Cooper was for many years a member of the Castletown Commissioners and of the Castletown Poor Law Guardians. His wife (née Clague) died nearly fifty years ago but he is succeeded by five sons and five daughters. Messrs. D.E. Cooper, T.C., T. Cooper, and W. H. Cooper, carry on the old business. Mr John Cooper is Castletown manager for Messrs R. K. Kermode. chemists; and Mr James Cooper is an insurance official in Montreal, One daughter is married to Mr W. G. Qualtrough, retired draper, Douglas, another to Mr Ingall of Kendal, and another to Mr J. Clague, now in Kansas, U.S.A.; and two resided with their father


Died October 2nd, 1922,

Mr John Clucas, for many years manager for Gelling's Iron Foundry, Ltd., Douglas, died on Monday, Oct. 2nd, after a few days' illness. The deceased gentleman, who was 58 years, was a thoroughly skilled engineer, and it is in no small measure due to his ability and adaptability that the firm has attained its high reputation for good, durable work, and that during the Great War it was enabled to serve the country by turning out large quantities of munitions in the shape of cases for shells. Mr Clucas was an ardent worker in the Buck's-road Primitive Methodist Church, and was a member of the Mona Union Tent of Rechabites.


Died June 19th, 1922.

General regret will be felt at the death of Mr John George Adamson, manager in the Isle of Man for Messrs. W. H. Walker & Co., chartered accountants, which occurred on June 19th, after but a brief illness. Mr Adamson was 52 years old, and after a short experience in the Liverpool office of the firm came to Douglas 25 years ago, two or three years before the failure of Dumbell's Bank, In 1903, upon the late Mr W. F. Price setting up business for himself, Mr Adamson was placed in charge of the Douglas office, and he has met his responsibilities with great ability and assiduity ever since. The winding up of Dumbell's, which is just coming to a completion now, was the biggest individual piece of work which has passed through the firm's hands in the Isle of Man, but a very extensive business of a general character has been done by them, and they have for many years audited the accounts of the local government authorities throughout the Island, and of various departments of the national administration. Mr Adamson was one of the pleasantest of men, courteous and obliging to the extreme, never sparing himself in the service of his employers and incapable of a dishonest and unkindly action. He leaves a widow and one daughter. The internment took pace on June 23rd at the Borough Cemetery, and was largely attended


Died March 1922

The Melbourne Manx Society had ac the April meeting the sad news of the death of one of their pioneer members, in the person of Mr Edward Gick, late of Douglas, who passed away at Sydney, New South Wales, at the age of about eighty years. For many years the deceased gentleman carried on business as grocer in the city of Melbourne, but his failing health in this last year or two forced him to retire from his calling, and as the climate of New South Wales suited his complaint better than Victoria, he decided to reside there, much to the loss of the local Manx Association, in which he held office as vice-president for some considerable time, and in which he was highly respected by all.


Died September 24th, 1922.

The death occurred on Sept, 24th of the Rev John C. Stuart, father of the Rev Wilson Stuart, M.A., B.Sc., who had for some time resided at Torver, near Coniston. The late Mr Stuart entered the Wesleyan ministry in 1866, and travelled in the following circuits :- Penrith, Ulverston, Dunrossness, Leek, Burslem, Plymouth, Birmingham, Manchester (Grosvenor-street), Manchester (Regents road), Bolton, Lancaster, Liverpool (Grove-street), and Rhyl. He became a supernumerary in 1903, but continued to preach in the circuits where his son laboured, and he is remembered affectionately by very many Douglas people. The internment took place on Wednesday at Dalton-in-Furness.


Died May 15th, 1922,

Councillor A. B. Crookall, the junior member of the House of Keys for North Douglas, will have universal sympathy in the affliction which culminated on May 15th in the death of his wife. Mrs Crookall's condition had been serious for a considerable time, and the end, even at the early age of 49, was by no means unexpected. The deceased lade was a daughter of the late Mr W. Callow, builder, of Ramsey. The funeral tools place on Wednesday, in the Borough Cemetery, and many prominent people attended to pay the last tribute of respect. Among the chief mourners were Mr Crookall, Misses Gertie and Jane Crookall (daughters), Mr Arthur C . Crookall, Mr Ramsey Crookall, Mr Douglas Crookall, Mr Willie Crookall (sons), Mr T. K. Callow, Mr J. W. Callow (brothers) ; Mr E. S. Crookall, Mr .J, R.. E. Crookall, Mr L. Knowles (brothers-in-law) ; Mr J. F. Crookall, Liverpool (cousin) ; Mrs Burns, Ramsey (aunt) ; Mr W. Kewley, Ramsey (cousin) ; and Mr W. Caley, Douglas (cousin). Wreaths were sent by: Father and the Children; Ebby, Lizzie, and Emnie; Lily, Annie and Fred; Willie, Dottie, and Billy, Minnie, Leonard, and Alma ; All at Eastdale ; Alice and Ernie; The Staff at Woodlands ; Mr and Mrs R. I. Reid ; Messrs J.W. and S. W. Devereau ; Mr and Mrs Douglas Coupe ; Messrs. Holmes and Christian ; Mr and Mrs R. Quayle ; Miss May Broadhead ; Mr R. Cain and Family (Sulby) ; Mr John Elton ; Mr and Mrs R. G. Corkhill and Family (Ramsey}; and Messrs Skillicorn (Albany House, Ramsey). The funeral arrangements were in the hands of Messrs. James Cowle and Son.


Died August 24th 1922,

Mr Caleb K, Margerison, who died at Crogga, near Port Soderick, on above date, was a member of the celebrated firm of soapmakers bearing that name, and is reputed to have been a man of considerable substance. About ten years ago he came to reside in the beautiful mansion at Crogga, originally occupied by the late Mr Mark Hildesley Quayle, Clerk of the Rolls, and he had lived quietly even since. He was a gentleman whom acquaintance could not fail to respect-kindly, unassuming, upright, intelligent and well-informed, and liberal-minded. He leaves a widow and several sons and daughters All his sons were educated at King William's Collage-where one of them had a remarkably distinguished career-and one of his sons, the late Lieut. George Jaffrey Margerison, was killed in the Great War,


Died June 4th 1922

The funeral took place at Dalton-in-Furuess on June 8th, of Councillor William Lewney, J.P. Mr Lewney,who was sixty-two years of age, was a native of Laxey, but went to Furness in 1880, with his father, who was killed in the following year, whilst working at a local mine. Councillor Lewney was one of the founders of the Dalton and District United Workmen's Association in 1888, and was its first president. He had served on the Dalton Urban Council since it was formed in 1895, and was chairman from 1904 to 1907. Mr Lewney had also been a member of the committee of the Dalton Co-Operative Society since 1894, and its chairman since 1907. He was made a J.P, in 1908, and four years ago was offered the O.B.E,, but this he declined.

At the funeral, the Barrow Manx Society was represented by Messrs W. Ashburner (president). John Cleator (ex-president), H. C. F. Lace (secretary), W. H. Quayle (trustee), A. Clucas (hon, treasurer), Thomas Crellin (member of the committee), and John Kelly,


Died September 23rd. 1922.

Dr George Kelman, a medical practitioner residing at Peel, and a man of some note in the public life of the Island, met his death under tragical circumstances on September 23rd. The doctor was riding from St John's into Peel upon a motorcycle of the type known as the " Ner-a-car." As its name implies, the mechanism of this vehicle more closely resembles that of a motor-car than of a motorcycle, and it is claimed that upon it a very respectable speed may be obtained, and that its consumption of petrol is very low in relation to its mileage, Whether or not these advantages are outweighed by demerits of construction, is an open question; at all events, Dr. Kelman, although he had owned the machine for some little time, was not at home on it, and on Saturday, after having ridden the bridge at Ballaleece, near St. John's. which, although not steep, has a double bend, and therefore to be regarded as dangerous-he collided with the wall at the bottom, and was apparently killed instantly. No one actually witnessed the accident, but Dr. Kelman was found dead within a few minutes of having been seen taking the bridge. His injuries were of a shocking character, and indicated that he must have hit the wall with great force; and yet the machine, save for a dented horn and foot-board, was not damaged at all.

Dr. Kelman was 65 years old, and took his degree at Edinburgh, A relative of his, the Rev. John Kelman, D.D., of Edinburgh, was a prolific writer on religious and literary subjects, and was at one time an assistant with the world-famed Biblical expositor Dr, George., Adam Smith. He commenced practice in Peel 22 years ago. Fifteen years ago he was elected to the Peel Commissioners and last year he became chairman of that body. He applied himself moat conscientiously to the duties of his office, but nothing is to be gained by disguising the fact that his presence on tire Board resulted in the meetings becoming consistently disorderly, in members refusing to attend to he insulted, in important business being neglected for months, until finally the Local Government Board intervened, and the town was held up to the censure of the whole Island, and saddled with the cost: of executing an accumulation of necessary public works all at one time. Yet Dr. Kelman retained his popularity; he was good-hearted, he possessed great professional talent, and nobody would deny his zeal and sincerity.

Dr. Kelman was twice married, his second wife being, a Miss Kelly, of Peel. He leaves a widow and two children, one of whom Mr. W. Kelman, has just qualified as a chemist, while the other is quite small.


Died June, 1921.

In the death of Mr William R. Creer. President of the Cleveland Savings and Loan Company, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., the Manx people of Cleveland have lost one of their foremost leaders, and the United States has lost a man whose reputation as a banker was widely known. Through his efforts in the interests of Manxmen, Cleveland is sometimes spoken of in the States as the capital of the Isle of Man, and the financial institution of which he was the President is known in Cleveland as the " Manx Bank." Its directors are. all Manxmen, and have been associated with Mr Creer for over a quarter of a century. He was a man of a pleasing personality and keen judgment, was beloved by all with whom he came in contact.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs Anna F. Creer, one son. Mr Burnham R. Creer, Assistant Trust Officer, Security Trust and Savings Bark, Los Angeles, California, a daughter, Miss Julia S, Creer, and by his brothers, Messrs. Robert G. Creer, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and John J. Creer, Proctor, Vermont, and his sisters, Mrs W, E. Higbee and Mrs Henry Belcher, both of Proctor, Vermont.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2003