[From Manx Quarterly, #25]
Died December 30th, 1920.
A most worthy citizen of Douglas away on December 30th, in the person of Mr David Evans, J.P., of Bradda Mount. The deceased gentleman was well over eighty years old and his health was naturally somewhat uncertain, but he was out and about during the week, and there was no reason to anticipate the end. As his name implies, Mr Evans was a native of the Principality, and throughout his life it was a delight to him to converse in the language of his country. He came to Douglas when barely past his majority, as an assistant in the well-known drapery business, which was established by the late Mr T. Wilson, and which, at that time, was being carried on by Messrs Quine and Archer. Some time prior to the year 1880, Mr Evans joined the late Mr Robert Archer as a partner, and he retired from business twenty-three years ago. As will be known, the undertaking latterly passed to the late Mr William Cowin, and the premises have for some fifteen years been occupied as a branch of the great multiple-shop firm of Boots, cash chemists. When Mr Evans came to Douglas, the premises were those just lower down Duke-street, the wide thoroughfare of Victoria-street not being then in existence.- Shortly after Mr Evans' retirement, the treasurership of Noble's Hospital became vacant, and Mr Evans was induced to accept the office, and the discharge of those duties occupied no inconsiderable part of his leisure. He used to visit the Hospital daily, and threw his whole soul into the necessary work of administration, and no institution ever had a more devoted official. Mr Evans was for twenty years a member of the Douglas Board of Guardians, and he also rendered long service on the School Board. In 1911, his integrity and his public spirit received merited recognition by his being appointed to the Commission of the Peace. All his life, Mr Evans was a devoted adherent of the Congregational denomination, and at the time of his death he was the senior deacon of the church at Finch-hill. Another interest of his was that useful local undertaking, Gelling's Foundry, Ltd., of which he was chairman. A man of unstained honour and unfailing courtesy, Mr Evans enjoyed the unqualified esteem of his fellowtownsfolk. His wife predeceased him about a month ago, and he leaves three daughters, all resident in Douglas.
The funeral took place on Monday, January 3rd, at the Borough Cemetery, in the presence of a large number of friends and admirers. Among the organisations which were officially represented were Noble's Hospital, of which institution the deceased gentleman was for 4,3 years treasurer; the Finch Hill Congregational Church, where he was the senior deacon; the Douglas School Board, Board of Guardians, Gelling's Foundry, Ltd., and the Finch Hill Bowling Club. The officiating minister was the Rev Martin C. Taylor, pastor of the Congregational Church.
During the service in the mortuary chapel, the following memorial addreas was given by the Rev Martin C. Taylor : - We meet here to attend the interment of the mortal remains of one who for many years has occupied an honourable place in the esteem and affection of his fellow-townsmen. For several decades Mr David Evans has been in fellowship with the church at Finch Hill, and, as a deacon, discharged all those duties incidental to that responsible position with zeal and fidelity, and with the entire confidence and regard of the Church. As an ardent educationalist, ,he was for a long period a member of this Douglas School Board, only retiring through advanced age, and doing so to the general regret of the Board and his constituents. As a Guardian of the Poor, he served through many faithful years. Mr Evans was a Justice of the Peace, and discharged his magisterial duties with efficiency and humanity. Another noble field of his benevolent activities was found in his close association with Noble's Hospital. His deep interest is that invaluable institution was unflagging to the very end, and his memory will be ever green with the Hospital Committee. To-day, we bid farewell to one who, as an honoured townsman, took a worthy part in the religious, pihilanthropic, and civic life of Douglas. Many are the testimonies to his brotherly spirit, genial disposition, and unfailing courtesy. Evans was a keen hover of the open-air. In his time he had been a splendid bowler on the green, and even of late, in spite of his years, was, by his skill with the "woods," the envy of far younger men. He was deeply respected by, his fellow-members of the Finch Hill Club. He was an all-round man, and, no doubt, the variety of his interests and pursuits contributed not a little to his remarkable preservation to a ripe old age. Our deep sympathy goes out to his daughters, who, in a few weeks, have sustained a double bereavement- Mrs Evans having predeceased her husband in November last. It well be no small consolation to them to realise, at this time, that they cherish the memory of so good a father and friend, who filled so useful a place in his day and generation.
Died November 80th, 1920.
We record with much regret the death of Mr Frederic John Caparn, J.P., formerly of Castletown, and of " The Gables," and The Promenade, Port St. Mary, which occurred at Noble's Hospital on Saturday Nov. 30th, where he had been removed a few hours previously. Deceased had not been well for about two months. He had resided on the Island for about 27 years, and was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1911. Actively engaged during the war in various capacities, he was appointed Company Commandant and musketry instructor on the formation of the Rushen Section of the Loyal Manx Volunteer Corps. In all movements for raising funds for the Volunteer expenses, and furthering their efficiency, his energetic services and advice as an old Volunteer were invaluable. A tribute in also due to the services of Mrs Caparn, both in charitable efforts necessitated by the war and in charitable work generally. He was a sidesman of St. Mary's Church, Port St Mary, for many years, and his interest in church work was shown in every direction without stint of service. He was also a member of the Automobile Club, and was well-known for his capabilities as a mechanic, and his advice and help were often sought.
The late Mr Caparn was born at Newark-on-Trent 59 years ago, and prior to coming to the Island resided at Collingham for some 20 years. He leaves a widow, and two sisters who reside in the South of England.
The funeral took place at Rushen Churchyard on Dec. 1st, the Rev. Canon Leeoe, R.D., conducting the service. The service was musical; Miss Harriet Collister presided at the organ, and quite a good choir attended. The coffin bore and was accompanied by a large number of floral wreaths, and there was a large number of friends present to testify their high respect for Mr and Mrs Caparn. The chief mourners, in addition to Mrs Caparn, were Mr Cooper, of Bournemouth (brother-in-law), and Miss and Mr F. W. Briscoe. Wreaths were sent by Mrs Paton and Miss Pleignier, Mr and Mrs Aitken and family, Mr and Mrs Gawne (Ballasherlogue), " Gladys," the Sidesmen of St. Mary's Church, Mr and Mrs C. W. Leigh, Miss Gawne (Ballagawne), "Those at Shag Rock," " Eva, Annie, and Robert,", " Agnes and Frances," " All at St. Mary's House," Mr and Mrs and Miss Briscoe, and others.
Died January 16th. 1921.
Thousands of Manx people still at home, or scattered all over the world, have derived intense pleasure from the public performances of Mr Tom Longden, who joined the majority on Sunday, 16th January, at the early age of 51. Mr Longden was a native of Bolton, and came to the Island about twenty-five years ago to join the staff of the Post Office. For a considerable number of years the had supervised the laying and maintaining of the telegraph wires, and had proved himself a competent servant and a, kindly superior. He was most widely known, however, as a comedy singer and actor of rare ability. For years he was one of the most acceptable entertainers whom the promoters of a Manx concert could procure, and he filled a leading role in no less than sixteen of the comic operas staged each Christmas by the Douglas Choral Union. The parts sustained by him include some of the very finest creations of the comic muse in English, and on every occasion Mr Longden realised the author's conception with the most absolute success. He made his debut in 1900, as the "Sergeant of Police" in " Th Pirates of Penzance," and his other impersonations were as follows:" Pooh-bah " in " The Mikado " ; " Don Alhambra " in " The Gondoliers " ; "Squire Bantam" in "Dorothy"; "Wilfred Shadbolt" in " The Yeomen of the Guard " ; " Bouillabaise " in " Paul Jones " " Father Pelican " in "Falka" ;" Bombados " in " Pepita " ; " Yen How " in "San Toy " ; "Squire Weston" in "Tom Jones"; "Dick Deadeye " in " H.M.S. Pinafore"; "Bran" in "Belle of Brittany "; and " Simkins " in " Merrie England." It is to be borne in mind that three of these operas were repeated. Mr Longden's greatest triumph was probably secured in the guise of " Wilfred Shadbolt," the grim jailer in "The Yeomen of the Guard," whose " nice easy wit "' is "spiced with stories of the torture-chamber," but it was run very close by his rendering of the part of " Bran," in " The Belle of Britany," and generally, there was no role in which Mr Longden figured of which Insular playgoers-including those who only go once in the year-will not have the most delightful recollections. Mr Longden interested himself actively in the administrative side of the Choral Union's affairs, and was its chairman for eight years. As a concert singer, Mr Longden will never cease, in the lifetime of members of this generation, to be remembered gratefully for his frequent renderings of the classic coon song, " De Ole Umbrella." His was the art which, to quote one of the sweetest little songs of our Manx poetess, " Cushag," made the " eyes glisten. 'twixt the tear and smile." Other numbers which Mr Longden's audiences always revelled in were " The Chimpanzee " and " Only an Ivy Leaf."
For the purposes of ordinary serious music, Mr Longden possessed a voice of very fair quality. He frequently sang in male voice quartettes, and a number of years ago he carried off the gold medal for the special baritone class in the Guild Competitions. Normally, however in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Choir, of which he was a member for a considerable period and in the guartettes previously mentioned, he sang tenor.
Mr Longden was as genial in private life as he was amusing in his public capacity, and he had a host of friends. He leaves a widow, a Manx lady, and several children.
Died January 21st, 1921.
After Mr Tom Longden, Mr William Hanby. Both gentlemen rendered inconspicuous but admirably efficient service to the Manx public, in the mechanical department of the Post Office; both gentlemen, in their unofficial capacities, richly earned the blessing that is pronounced upon the mean who makes two laughs grow whom only one grew before; and the two gentleman, unfortunately, have died within a few days of each other, each at a comparatively early age. Mr Hanby was the elder, for the was 61 years old, and had the previous year earned his retirement on pension. He was the son of the late Mr William Ridsdale Hanby, mining engineer, of Douglas, and in the year 1871 he joined the service of the Manx Telegraph Co. The telegraph system was first introduced into the Island, as may be remembered, by a joint stock company, of which the late High-Bailiff Harris, was chairman, and when in due course the undertaking was taken over by the Government, Mr Hanby was transferred. In 1908 he became overseer, and throughout the war he was called upon to discharge duties of a wider range. Mr Hanby's gifts first made themselves publicly recognised about twenty years ago, when the Manx operetta, " King Gob-ne-Geay," was produced at the Gatiety Theatre. Mr Hanby was responsible for the dialogue and the lyrics, and Mr Harry Wood for the music, and the reduction achieved a tremendous success.
Hanby, as a versifier, had lightness of touch; he had a spontaneous wit that qgsried his hearers down the streams, and in a jovial, unidealistic way he hit off Manx character, and particularly Manx character as it is moulded by the visiting season, to the life. The motto which, the editor of the " Passing Show" has adopted was also his
With or without offence to friends or foes,
I sketch your world exactly as it goes.
A second extravaganza, " The Babes in the Wood (from a Manx point of view)," also emerged from the pen of Mr Hanby and Mr Harry Wood, and was also an inexhaustible source of innocent merriment. Mr Hanby will especially be remembered for his two excellent character songs, " The Native of Peel," and "The Pride of Port-le-Murra,," Mr George Kelly, harbour master of Douglas, who is an entertainer of no mean order, first popularised these songs, but they have now obtained a very wide vogue, and that vogue is likely to continue. One rather regretted, at the time when Mr W. Cubbon's " Anthology of Manx Poetry," was published, these two songs were not included, for they are well worthy of a permanent place in the Island's literature. Mr Hanby also wrote a couple of recitations, which Mr George Kelly has often given with great effect-"The Land of the Cushag," and "Quilleash's lil' Cow."
It is worthy of note that Mr Hanby was a cousin of Professor Henry Hanby Hay, of Philadelphia University, a poet of merit, and a patriotic Manxman, who at one time contributed freely to the columns of this newspaper.
Died January 31st, 1921.
Dr John Cannell Cain, D.Sc., died on January 31st, at the age of fifty. Mr Cain was a son of the Rev. Thomas Cain, of Stubbins, Lancashire, and was educated at Owen's College, Manchester, and at Tubingen and Heidleberg, Germany. He held the degree of Doctor of Sciences distinction held by few-of Manchester and also of Tubingen. He had been chief chemist for the great dyeing firm of Levinstein's, Manchester, for Brooke, Simpson, and Spiller, of London, and for British Dyes, Ltd. at their works in Huddersfield, and had been editor of the Chemical Society's publications since 1905. A work of his upon the production of synthetic dyestuffs ran into three editions; and he was the author of other well-known books and of numerous scientific papers.
Died January 21st. 1921.
The funeral of the late Lieut. W. E. Edge took place on January 25th, in the Grange Cemetery, Edinburgh, in the presence of many friends.
The services, both at his residence and the graveside, were conducted by the Rev. Mr. Dunlop, minister of Old Greyfriars, and were most impressive.
The principal mourners were Sir Robert Wright (agricultural adviser for Scotland), Mr A. Forbes Thompson, M.A. (brother-in-law), Master J. Wright Taylor (nephew),'Dr. Matheson, Dr. Crewe, Commander Milne - Henderson (Royal Indian Marine), Mr Wallace, Mr Shepherd, Mr Murray, and Mr Alex. Bowie. The Royal Dick Veterinary College, of which the late Lieut. Edge was a student, was represented by the Professors' staff, and fellow students, and as a special mark of esteem all classes were suspended, the third-year students following the coffin. There were many beautiful floral tributes from relatives and friends, also from the college.
Few young men of Lieutenant Edge's years have had such an eventful life. Born in Calcutta, he came to the Island as a small boy and received his education at Victoria College and the Douglas Grammar School, after which he was sent to the Clyde, and trained as an engineer with a view to entering the senior service. On the outbreak of the South African War he enlisted, in the Scottish Hourse, afterwards obtaining a commission in the Royal Indian Marine, in which branch of the service he had a most successful career, seeing during those years many strange lands and meeting many interesting personages, and was due to be made Commander when-his ship being in action-he lost his right foot in February, 1915. For his services rendered out East, he was awarded the Persian Gulf Medal, and after being placed on the retired list he proceeded to Roehampton, and was fitted with an artificial limb.
Owing. to his credentials and engineering ability he was then given a fresh temporary commission in the Royal Navy and appointed to an important position under the Admiralty, in Scotland, with headquarters in Edinburgh, which position he held until his health gave way through the injuries he had received. After a year spent in the Isle of Man, his health so much improved that he decided on another sphere of usefulness, and with that end in view entered the Royal Dick College as a veterinary student, and while there gained the admiration of professors and students alike in his gallant effort to forget his life at sea and the service to which he was devoted.
He had already passed through two years of the work necessary for obtaining the degree of M.R.C.V.S., and as recently as December last passed his second professional examination with honours in two subjects, won in spite of daily suffering.
Such is the brief outline of one more promising life lost through the Great War, and much sympathy will be extended to his widow and child in their sudden bereavement.
Died January 16th, 1920.
Castletown has again sustained the loss of another well-known and highly respected resident in the person of Mr Edward Cubbon, monumental mason, who died on January 16th, in his 60th year. For upwards of forty years, Mr Cubbon was associated with the Castletown band. He was eighteen years with the now defunct band, and has been in the ranks of the present Metropolitan Band ever since its formation some twenty four years ago. Mr Cubbon was recognised to be one of the finest trombone layers on the Island. He leaves a widow, tree sons, Mr Chas. H. Cubbon, Mr Tom Cubbon (at present in Malta), and Mr John Cubbon (lately returned from Audrineq France), and a daughter, Miss Netta Cubbon. The funeral took place on January 19th, and a large number of friends and relatives, together with most of the members of the Metropolitan Band, attended. The floral tributes were numerous. The chief mourners were Messrs Charles and John Cubbon (sans), Messrs Henry, John, Richard, and Charles Cubbon (brothers), and Messrs T. Cubbon, S. Shimmin, and R. Shimmin (brothers-in-law). The pall-bearers were his nephews, Messrs F. Shimmin, 1. S., A., and T. S. Cubbon.
Died February 11th, 1921.
After a lengthy period of ill-health, Mr John Kelly, J.P., Alderman and exMayor of the Borough of Douglas, died at his residence, 4 Brunswick-road, Douglas, in the early hours of Friday morning, 11th February. The deceased gentleman, who was in his 75th year, was a native of Santon, and farmed in that parish until about forty years ago, when he came to Douglas to carry on the business of cowkeeper and car proprietor, in the premises known as the Old Cattle Market, situate in Heywood-place, and previously occupied by Mr Bridson. This building was destroyed when Ridgeway-street was constructed, and Mr Kelly then removed to stables in Tynwald-street. During his life in Douglas, he combined with the business already described, that of farmer, and for many years he tilled the farm called " Rhode Island." Later he occupied other lands in the close vicinity of Douglas. He was for a long period President of the Douglas Car-Owners' Association.
Mr Kelly first entered the Town Council in November, 1907. He became an Alderman three or four years ago, and he held the Mayoralty during the two years commencing in November, 1918. He had previously held the chairmanship of the Stores, Works, Tramways, and Finance Committees of the Council. His Mayoralty coincided with an exceedingly difficult period in the history of the town, and no civic head could possibly have been more assiduous in the discharge of his duties. He was earnest and conscientious to the extreme, and though he made no pretensions to brilliance, he was always reliable and practicable, and, greatest merit of all, he never put on a different thinking cap as a public man from that which he was accustomed to wear, as a man of business. There is no particular scheme with which his name can be associated, but for a number of years past he was a recognised leader in every proposal which tended towards the improvement of the health of the town.
Mr Kelly was from his earliest youth a stalwart in the Primitive Methodist denomination, and the "causes" at Newtown, at Wellington street, and subsequently at Bucks-road, always found him a faithful helper. He was for years a local preacher, and had held almost every connexional office open to a layman. He was a staunch teetotaller and also he believed do endeavouring to benefit his fallow-men by legislative activities. All his life he was an ardent politician, and while the Manx Liberal Association was in full swing, he was one of its most active members.
Mr Kelly leaves a widow (formerly Miss Shimmin, of Santon), three sons, and four daughters. All the daughters and one of the sons, Mr Wilfred Kelly, reside in Douglas, and two of the sons are in Cleveland, U.S.A.
The funeral took place on Monday, the 14th instant, at the Douglas Borough Cemetery, and the attendance was a fine evidence of the respect which is evoked by simple straightforwardness of mind and character. The gathering was one of the largest ever seen in the town and included the Government Secretry Deemster Callow, the High-Bailiff of Douglas, the members of the Douglas Town Council and of other public bodies, representatives of the Mona Union Tent of Rechabites, and representatives Primitive Methodism throughout the Island.
The Rev. F. W. Henshall, superintendent of the Dauglas Primitive Methodist circuit, conducted the service in the Mortuary chapel and at the graveside and, in the course of a brief address he said the town lead lost one of its finest citizens, one whose joy it was to spend and be spent for the good of others. He was not one of those who reached the zenith of their powers in mid-life, and then declined; the last three years had been the perfection of his life, and in the course of them he had given the town his best service. One of his most important characteristics was that the know his limitations in some directions, but he also knew his strengths in other directions, and in those directions, he gave of his uttermost. He became chief magistrate of the town an epoch-making moment, and the energy, the zest, the sagacity, the sound judgement, revealed in this occupancy of the office, were a surprise to his dearest friends. And how perfectly natural he was with it all. In the Council, at a mass meeting, before the King and Queen, he was just himself. And yet there was a dignity about him which,espocially in view of the limited opportunities which he had, was remarkable. What depth of sympathy and affection he was capable of, none but those who were nearest to him knew. His last public appearance was to pay tribute to his dear friend, T. H. Cormode, for whom he had a love, not altogether like that of David for Jonathan, as he himself had described, but rather like that of Paul for Timothy for he was as a father to T. H. Cormode. Those who were associated in religious fellowship and service with him rejoiced in his work as a Sunday school teacher and preacher, class leader, and the holder of almost all the offices of his church had to bestow. Many men on the mainland were glad of the privilege of having known him. And how regular he was! If he was not preaching, he was always in his pew at his own church. The spiritual power which exuded from him was a help to everyone with whom he came into contact. And now, like a stack of ripe corn, he was gathered into the Master's garner.
The coffin was borne from the chapel to the graveside by four office-bearers in the Bucks-road Primitive Methodist Church, and the Rechabite oration was read over the remains by Councillor W. Quirk, who was Deputy-Mayor in the two years during which Alderman Kelly was Mayor.
The mourners were: Mr Wilfred Kelly (,son); Mrs McLaughlin, 'Missies Elsie, Dolly, Marjorie (Daughters) ; Mrs Stephen, Birkenhead (sister) ; Miss McLaugh-lin and Miss Hilda Kelly (granddaughters); Mrs Wilfred Kelly (daughter in-law) ; -Mrs William Kelly (sister-inlaw); Masters Cecil and Maurice Kelly (nephews) ; Mr and-, Mrs W. H. Fargher lValpole-avenue ; Mr J. Kneen, Liverpool; Miss Moore, Ballagawne, Rushen; Mrs Cormode, Andrews; and Mr Mylrea, Andreas. -
Wreaths were sent by "Mother, Elsie, Dolly, and Madge" ; "Wilfred, Ada, end Hilda" ; "Emily and Flo." ; "Arthur and Freda" (Cleveland, U.S.A.) ; "Joe" (Cleveland, U.S.A.); Mr and Mrs Stephens and family (Birkenhead) ; Mrs W. Kelly and family; "Evelyn and Jim"; Mr and Mrs W. H. Fargher and family; Mr J. Kneen (Liverpool) ; Lady and Mr Leigh Goldie-Taubman; the Mayor and Mayoress ; the Mayor and Members of the Council; the Trustees of the Bucksroad P.M. Church; the staff of the Town Hall; the Douglas Car Owners' Association; Councillor 1V. and Mrs Quirk and family; " Joe and Bobby " ; Mrs Dibb and Annie; Mr and Mrs H. Dale and family; Mr and Mrs Grange and Mrs Percy Kelly; and Mr and Mrs P. Speedie.
Among those who sent expressions of sympathy were the Lieut.-Governor and Lady Fry; Lady and Mr Leigh GoldieTaubman ; the Postmaster (Mr R. H. Nicholls) ; the Speaker of the House of Keys and -Mrs Clucas; the Mayor and Mayoress ; the Town Clerk and members of the Council; and many others.
Died 21st December, 1921
It is with a feeling of genuine regret that we refer to the death of Mr Robt. Edwin Lawson, which took place at Glencairn, Old Laxey on the 21st December. For a considerable time Mr Lawson, who was but 48 years of age at the time of his death, had been ailing, but up to a few days before his death he was able to be about. Mr Lawson at one time worked in South Africa, as had several brothers who have also passed away. The interment took place in Lonan Churchyard. The deceased gentleman was a member of Laxey Village Commission and as he lived at the shore end of the village, he was able to render good service in looking after interests in that neighbourhood. He was very regular in his attendance at the meetings of the board, and took an intelligent and earnest interest in all its business. Mr Lawson was harbourmaster at Laxey, and Capt. Lewin has been appointed to succeed him.
Died December 18th, 1921.
Mr James Kewley, of " Arderry," Alexander-drive, Douglas, died on the 18th Dec., after a lengthly illness. The deceased gentleman, who was 78 years old, was a native of Douglas, and, with his brother, the late Mr Stephen Kewley, succeeded his father in the business of a builder. The firm held a high reputation for good workmanship and prompt business methods, and obtained a, considerable number of important contracts. Among the properties for the erection which the Messrs Kewley were responsible are the Falcon Hotel, the Athol Hotel, the old Aquarium Baths, Messrs Heron and Bearley's wine and spirit stores, Okell's Brewery, and numerous residences, boarding-houses, and shops in Stanley terrace, Clifton-terrace, Derby-road, Derby-terrace, Victoria-street, Glen Falcon road, the Promenade, and elsewhere. Mr Kewley was elected to the Douglas Town Council in March, 1896, in company the late Mr Robert Moore, and sat untilthe General Election caused by the arrangement of the town and the reclassification of the wards. He was inconspicuous in the public debates, but serviceable in committee, and his practical knowledge was of considerable value when the West Baldwin reservoir scheme was being carried into effect. By religious persuasion, Mr Kewley was a Wesleyan and for many years he was actively associated with the work of Well-road Church and Sunday-school, though he. he attached himself to the Rose Mount congregation. He was also a member of the committee of the House of Industry. He leaves a widow and two daughters-Mrs T. C. Hinds and Miss Nellie Kewley. The funeral took place December 22nd.
Died March 1st, 1921.
By the death of Mr Thomas Cowley Kermode, which took place at his residence, "Creggan View," Peel, on March 1st, the town of Peel loses one of its foremost citizen. Mr Kermode was 77 years old, and had been unwell for a considerable time, so that the end was not unexpected. He was the second son, of the late Mr Thomas Kermode, ironmonger, of Peel, a gentleman who was a very prominent temperance worker sixty or seventy years ago, and among his brothers was the inventor of the celebrated Kermode system of oil fuel. Mr T. C. Kermode succeeded to his father's business, and carried it on with considerable success until his retirement about twenty years ago. He was a man of great public spirit, and rendered inestimable service to his native town in the administration of poor relief and of education, besides being the prime mover in the erection of the new burial ground. He was a keen politician, of pronounced Radical views, and in 1908 he was elected, together with Capt. Kitto, J.P., and Mr R. B. Quirk, now a member of the Legislative Council, to sit in the House of Keys for Glenfaba.
He again secured election after the Dissolution of 1913, but in 1917, feeling the pressure of advancing age and declining health, he resigned. He was a man of wide information, and a perfect authority on the life of his native town in previous generations; he simply bubbled over with figures-somewhat disconcertingly so, at times; and he leaves behind him a vast quantity of data on various subjects. He exerted himself repeatedly, while in the Legislature, to incite the Government to effort on behalf of the declining fishing industry. He possessed boundless courage, it might well be said of him that he feared the face of no man; and he attained to as influential position, though not a commanding one, among his colleagues in the Legislature. He was a P.P.G.M. of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, and was generally active in all movements that tended to further the welfare of his fellows. He leaves one son, Mr John Kermode, now sailing out of Liverpool; and one daughter, Miss Katie Kermode, who resided with him. Mrs Kermode, formerly Miss Crellin, of The Sandhouse, is some few years dead.