[From Manx Quarterly, #21, 1920]

Memorial Notices.


Died January 29th, 1919.

After a somewhat prolonged illness, Mr W. F. Price, chartered accountant, Douglas, passed away at his residence, Ivy Bank, Brunswick-road, Douglas, on 29th January. Recently Mr Price underwent an operation, and for some time the prospects of recovery were very hopeful of character. A relapse, however, set in which ended fatally. The deceased gentle-man had a considerable practice in accountancy throughout the Island, and be was held in great respect and esteem by his clients and by a large circle of acquaintance. Mr Price served his articles in Liverpool and passed his final examination with honours-he was among the first half-dozen candidates of his Year. For several years he held a responsible position in the firm of Messrs G. E. Holt and Son, Cook-strect, Liverpool, but some twenty years ago he transferred to Messrs W. H. Walker and Co., on whose behalf he came to Douglas in connection with the winding up of Dumbell's Banking Co. and the Is of Man Tramways Co. In 1904, he started practice in Douglas on his own account and quickly secured a goodly clientele. He was possessed of great professional ability and was ever painstaking, courteous, and conscientious in his work. He was auditor for several trading concerns in the Island and among other secretaryships that held were those of the Granville and Athol Hotel Co. and the Employers' Federation Notwithstanding the serious handicap of a painful illness, he was in harness until practically the end. Mr Price leaves to mourn his loss a widow, two daughters and a son. Of the daughters, one-Mrs Main-is now engaged in hospital work in London, and the other, Miss Evelyn Price, has been for some time engaged it her father's office. The son is a pupil at King William's College.


Died January 30th, 1919.

By the death of Mr J. Young, chemist, Market-hill, Douglas has been deprived of a highly respected and very useful citizen. Mr Young, who was qualified both as a pharmaceutical chemist and surgeon dentist, took over the business on Market-hill some thirty years ago. The business was one of very old standing, it having been established over 100 years ago, and in Mr Young's hands it more than maintained the success with which it had always been attended. For a term Mr Young served as a member of the Douglas Town Commission, and in that capacity he most faithfully discharged the duties associated with the office. Upon the incorporation of the town he did not seek election to the Town Council. He was a devoted member of St. Matthew's Church, and, for a period acted as a sides-man. In his business and professional capacities the had a high and well-deserved reputation far ability and courtesy. Generally he was a well-informed gentleman and was ever ready to place his knowledge and experience at the disposal of the community. A few weeks before his death he contracted a severe cold, from the effects of which he passed away on January 30th He leaves a widow and several children.


Died February 9th, 1919.

Frank Cottle, the Douglas Borough died from pneumonia, supervening upon an attack of influenza, at Dovedale-road, Mossley Hill, Liverpool, on Sunday, Feb. 9th. The news occasioned great regret in Douglas, where Mr Cottle was much esteemed and respected. Mr Cottle, though born in Liverpool, had a considerable admixture of Manx blood in him, his mother prior to her marriage being Miss Emily Kelly, a Douglas lady, sister to Mrs Joseph Kaye, of Douglas. After serving his articles in Liverpool, Mr Cottle was engaged for a time in the highways Engineering Office, Manchester, in 1901 he was appointed Borough Assistant Surveyor of Douglas. Upon Mr Prescott, who was then Borough Surveyor, being appointed to a similar position in Eastbourne, Mr Cottle received the appointment of Borough Surveyor of Douglas, a position which he has since filled with much acceptance. About a year after the outbreak of war, he considered it his duty to offer his services to the nation in a military capacity, and with the full approval of the Town Council he joined the Army early in 1916,and received a commission as Lieutenant of Engineers. He was afterwards transferred to the Motor Transport Corps. He saw action in France, and as the result of shellshock was for a time invalided. He saw service with the British Expeditionary Force in Italy. About the end of January last he was demobilised, and while on the way to the Isle of Man to resume duty as Borough Surveyor of Douglas, he was seized with illness in Liverpool, and his malady had a fatal termination. Mr Cottle married Miss Nessie Nuttall, only daughter of Mrs Nuttall, Selborne-drive, Douglas, and by the marriage there was one child-a daughter. Mrs Cottle, after her husband joined the Army, went to Liverpool with her mother, and they took up their residence at Dove dale-road. Mr Cottle was staying there whon he was overcome by illness. A very unassuming gentleman, Mr Cottle was both competent and courteous in the dis-charge of his office, and he possessed the complete confidence of the Town Council. He carried out much municipal work of importance, but will, perhaps, be best remembered as the designer of the very neat and admirably -planned workmen's dwellings in Lord-street. Socially he was a great favourite, his pleasant manner and modest bearing earning for him a host of friends. He was possessed of considerable musical talent, and 'was a warm supporter of musical culture. The news of his death was the cause of much gloom among the Douglas Town Hall staff, by whom he was held in affectionate, regard. The Town Hall flag was flown at half-mast out of respect to his memory.


Died January 26th, 1919.

Jan. 26th, Mr Wm. John Corkill (78), Union-street, Dalton- in -Furness, miner, passed away suddenly. He been living alone for some time, his wife dying 13 years ago. He had not been well for 11 years. On Sunday he spoke to his neighbour, but some time later the neighbour called at the house and got no answer to her knocks. She informed the police and Mr Corkill was found behind the door. He was breathing, but died shortly afterwards. Mr Corkill came to Furness from Laxey in 1880 along with many other Manxmen. He was a great friend of the late Capt. T. A. Cowan, the two men having been school companions in their boyhood days. Mr Corkill was a Primitive Methodist. He has one son in America. The funeral was on Wednesday, 29th, the Rev A. E. Willcox officiating.



Died April 20th, 1919.

In the death of Mr William James Coole, the Douglas Corporation has been deprived of the, services of a most faithfull and efficient official, and the town of Douglas mourns the loss of one of the most estimable and respected of its citizens. Last summer, Mr Coole had a stroke, and was; in consequence laid by for a considerable time. He made a good recovery under the care of Dr. Hamilton-he lost some flesh, but was able to resume his municipal duties, and to discharge them with all his accustomed zeal and ability. Another similar seizure, though comparatively light of character, overtook him this spring, but again he pulled round, his absence on sick leave being but short of duration. He was out and about quickly, and last week, be, to all appearances, had regained most of his old vigour. in harness practically to the last, he was on Saturday engaged in control of the vehicular and porter traffic on the Victoria Piers during the afternoon and evening. Returning home after the arrival of the last passenger steamer, at about 8 p.m., he on arriving at his house in Hutchinson-square, was taken suddenly ill, and it was soon evident that his indisposition was serious of character. He was medically attended by Dr. Hamilton, and everything possible to induce recovery was done, but without result. He passed away at 7 o'clock on April 20th in the 57th year of his age.

Mr Coole was country bred, he having been born at Virginia Farm, Braddan, just over 56 years ago. His father was the late Mr John Coole, some time tenant of Virginia, and Mr W. J. Coole himself was bred to agricultural pursuits. In 1882 he joined the. Isle of Man Constabulary, and during his police service he was stationed with the Douglas division. He left the force 33 years ago on receiving from the Douglas Municipal Authorities the appointment of Inspector of cars, porters, and markets, and assistant sanitary inspector, which positions he filled with great acceptance up to the time of his death. He was a most capable official - indefatigable, painstaking, ever coutrteous and careful, and constantly regardful of the responsibilities of his office. By the Corporation and his fellow officials he was held in the highest esteem, and by the public he was respected on all hands. He brought to bear in the discharge of his duties a wonderful tact, with the result that carmen, porters, and all others who came within his control were so generally observant of his injunctions that he had, seldom to enforce them by resource to the law. He mainly relied upon moral suasion, and taking into account the immensity of the season vehicular traffic in Douglas and the great number of porters who ply in the town, the prosecutions instituted at Inspector Coole's instance were remarkably few. Yet Douglas carmen and porters under his supervision have always borne themselves with a due regard to the public convenience, and a commendable consideration for public decency. Of most kindly disposition, Inspector Coole was exceedingly charitable of thought. No matter how generally depraved a person might be, Mr Coole could always find a redeeming trait in him or her he was never known to say a bad word for anybody. Precluded by his position from taking an active part in municipal affairs, he was greatly interested both in Imperial and Manx national politics. He, when the opportunity arose, frequently attended political meetings in England, and in this way he at one time or other heard the greatest orators of his day. In politics he was a Liberal, but he possessed the Manx characteristic of caution, and was somewhat distrustful of extremists. From his boyhood he took a deep and very active interest in the Wesleyan Methodist Church, of which he was practically a lifelong member. He became a local preacher m 1879, and in this capacity he has conducted devotional services in all parts of the Island. His sermons were ever thoughtful, and were delivered with a readiness and incision that pro-claimed the natural pulpit orator.. At social functions associated with Manx Methodism he took a prominent part, and also in great request as a chairman and speaker. He filled most of the offices in the Douglas circuit open to a layman--class-leader, society steward, and trustee of Victoria-street Church. A sincere temperance man, he was constant in combat-the evils connected with the liquor ffio, though his form of propaganda based more on appeal to the individual than upon a coercive policy. He was very old member of the Independent Order of Rechabites, his Tent being the Crosby and Greeba Good Samaritan. He as also for a period Assistant Secretary the Douglas branch of the Manx Temperance Federation. From the inception of the Manx Free Church Council he was a member, and took a prominent part in the work of that body. He was connected with the Pleasant Sunday Afternoon and Brotherhood movement, and frequently attended gatherings in England. Inspector Coole leaves a widow and one son to mourn his . The latter, after serving his apprenticeship as a joiner, emigrated to America and is still domiciled in the great Republic. By none will Inspector Coole be missed more than by the visitors to the Island. His duties necessitated him spending a large part of his time on the Victoria Pier, the while the steamers arrived or departed. His stalwart figure-he was a man of very striking physique--was well known to thousands of holiday makers, by whom he was in great request for information, information which he ever imparted, no matter how busily engaged he was, with that care and courtesy which were innate in him. He had a personal acquaintance with multitudes of these visitors, his wonderful memory for names and faces enabling him to exchange greetings with them as they landed or left, year after year.

The funeral took place on April 23rd, and the large and representative attenance testified to the respect in which Inspector Coole was hold. Among those present were the Mayor, several Aldermen and Councillors, and a large body of functionaries of the Town Hall, including the Town Clerk, the Deputy Town Clerk; also members of the Police Force under the Deputy-Chief Constable, and of the Rechabite Club and general public. The cortege proceeded by way of Broadway, the Promenade, and Victoria-street, to Victoria-street Wesleyan Church, where a memorial service was conducted by the Revs. H. Williams and Gregory. The readings were. from Corinthians, chap. 15, and Psalm 90; and the hymms, "Give me the wings of faith to rise" and " Jerusalem the Golden," were solemnly rendered.

The Rev H. Williams, in the course of a brief address, referred to the true Christian qualities of deceased, and the faithful manner in which he had discharged his duty in life; and to the esteem in which he was held, not only by his own townsmen, but by visitors.

The Dead March in " Saul" was impressively played by Miss A. Kelly, and after the service a large crowd of sympathetic spectators in Victoria street paid a last tribute of respect as the cortege moved slowly down Ridgeway-street en route for Braddan Cemetery, where the interment took place. The chief mourners were :-:Mr Tom Coole and Mrs Coole (brother and sister-in-law) ; Miss Emily Coole, sister; Mr John and Mr Edward Coole, nephews; Miss Evelyn and Miss Ethel Coole, nieces; Mrs Sayle and Capt. Cain, cousins; and Mr Edwards, brother-in-law.

The arrangements were in the hands of Mr W. H. Faragher, Walpole-avenue, while the carriages were supplied by Mr W. Clague, Derby-square.



Died February 23rd, 1919,

Mr Edward Cannon Kneen, a member of the firm of Dickinson, Cruickshank, & Co., advocates, of Douglas and Ramsey, died with startling suddenness on Sunday, February 23rd. For a considerable time past Mr Kneen's condition of health had been fax from satisfactory, and only quite recently he returned from England, where he had been sojourning in the hope that he would benefit from change of air and scene. He attended evening service in Rosemount Wesleyan Church on Sunday, and while service was in progress, Mr Kneen was observed to collapse. Mr Alexander Robertson, Town Clerk of Douglas,, who was seated close by, immediately went to Mr Kneen's assistance, and helped him into the corridor, where he became unconscious. Medical aid was sought, and Dr T. A. Woods arrived soon afterwards, but only to pronounce life to be extinct. The tragic suddenness of Mr Kneen's passing was a great shock to the congregation, especially to his sister, Miss Kneen, who was sitting by him at the time he collapsed. The youngest son of the late Mr Thomas Kneen, of Ballastean, Andreas, Mr Edward C. Kneen was educated at Douglas Grammar School in the first instance, subsequently proceeding to King William's College, where he completed his scholastic career. On leaving school, he was articled to his brother, the late Mr Thomas Kneen, advocate, who was then in partnership with Mr W. F. Dickinson, and who subsequently became successively Second Deemster, First Deemster, and Clerk of the Rolls. After finishing his studentship, Mr E. C. Kneen was admitted to the Manx Bar on Dec. 28th, 1895. In due course he joined the firm now known as Dickinson, Cruickshank, and Co., and while his health held good he was mainly responsible for the conduct of the firm's extensive practice in the law courts. The firm acted as legal advisers to the Douglas Corporation, and for many years Mr E. C. Kneen had charge of this branch of the work. Re-tiring of disposition, he was a shrewd man of law, and was thoroughly sound as a pleader in the courts. His kindly and charitable disposition and his dry humour endeared him to a large circle of acquaint-ances, and his many friends were deeply shocked to learn of his untimely death. Mr Kneen, who was 49 years old, was a bachelor. The funeral took place on Wednesday, and was largely attended. Interment was in Braddan Cemetery.


Died April 1st, 1919.

The tragic death of Mr Herbert S. Collister the result of an accident on April 1st, caused great regret among his many friends on the Island and in London and great sympathy was felt for the family of the deceased. At the inquest a verdict of accidental death was returned. Owing to the dense fog very few witnessed the accident and the driver of the bus stated that Mr Collister crossed the road and attempted to recross, and there was no chance of saving him as he had crossed in front of the bus which he had not noticed approaching. Mr Collister was known throughout the Island for years as one of our best vocalists, also as a keen bowler and an enthusiastic member of the Douglas Rugby Football Club. He was a Rechabite also and a member of the choir of Rose Mount Wesleyan Church. Mr Collister left the Island some fourteen years ago for Wakefield. He did not long remain there and moved to a more advantageous position as inspector under the Ilford Gas Co. It was while discharging his duties for this firm that he met his death. During his residence in Ilford he made a host of friends and was popular and held in high esteem. His genial, jocular and at the same time somewhat retiring disposition drew everyone to him. He was secretary of the choir of Ilford Wesleyan Church in whose affairs he took a deep interest. A bowler of great merit he represented his adopted county of Essex and carried off many club competitions. It was however, as far as Insular interests are concerned, in connection with the London Manx Society that he was known, and it was quite fitting that the members should last year elect him unanimously as their President, a position he ably fulfilled.

He leaves a widow and a family of four to mourn his loss. The cortege left his late home at 1-20, and by request passed the offices of his late employers. Part of the service was at Ilford High Road Wesleyan Church. The principal mourners were:-Mrs Collister, widow; Mrs Beresford and the Misses Collister, daughters; Mr Beresford (son-in-law); Mr Long (cousin) ; Mr E. Collister (nephew) and Mr Geo. Robertson (Hon. Sec. London Manx Society and a life long friend). The Gas Co. were represented by the officials of the various departments and the entire staff. The London Manx Society by Mrs Frowde and Mr Howland, Vice-Presidents; Messrs Dan Christian and R. G: Fargher (Committee); Councillor J. G. Crellin (Past President), Mrs C. J. Wilson (nee Gregson) Ilford, Mr R. Kelly, Junr. (Bow) and Mrs E.Cannell and family.

The President Mr G. F. Clucas (at present, on the Island), and many of the members sent expressions of sympathy, and regretted their inability to attend. The Rev Dove made touching reference to the beautiful and useful life in the home, and in his work daily and social spent by the deceased. The coffin was of oak and bore the inscription, Herbert S. Collister died 1st April, 1919, aged 49 years. Floral tributes, etc., were sent by widow and family, " Edith and Laurence," "All at Ballavitchell,". Mr and Mrs I. R. Beresford, Mr and Mrs Farquhar, Mr, Mrs, and Arthur Beebee, Mr, Mrs, and Miss Millward, London Manx Society Mr and Mrs G. Robertson and May, Mr and Mrs Cannell and family, Chairman and directors of Ilford Gas Co., Staff of Ilford Gas Co., Fitting dept. Ilford Gas Co., Workingmen of Ilford Gas Co., Members of Clements Wood Bowling Club, Cranbrook Park Bowling Club, High Road Wesleyan Church Choir, Sunday morning Class, and Girls and Boys of the High Road Sunday School Choir.

As the sad procession passed on its way to the cemetery great respect was shewn every-where, and even in this great district, retiring as the deceased was, his sterling worth had gained for him a great host of friends with whom we join in tendering to the bereaved family our sympathy with them in their tragically sudden bereavement. It was Mr Collister's intention to visit the Island early in May for his annual holidays.


Died April 3rd-6th, 1919,

On April 3rd, at 47 Derby-square, Douglas, there passed away, at the age of 87, Miss Elizabeth Willson ; and on April 5th, at the same place, her elder sister. Both ladies were well-known for their philanthropic work, done unostentatiously. Since 1885 they have conducted the Young Women's Christian Association at Mona-terrace, and their home was a rendezvous for many young women who were friendless. Miss Gilder, who has also lived with them for some years, is now left to mourn the loss of her old friends, and she is lying ill. The funeral took place on April 7th, and was attended by Revs Canon Kermode, Canon Spicer (Malew), J. C. H. Bovington, John Davidson (St. Andrew's Presbyterian), Messrs D. Corrin, S. K. Broadbent, W. Moore, and other gentlemen, and also a large number of devout women, who proceeded to St. George's Church, where an appropriate choral service vas rendered, Mr Burtonwood presiding at the organ. At the close, the "Dead March " in "Saul " was performed on the organ. Mr Robert Collister supplied the carriages.

We are indebted to the Rev Canon Spicer for the following sketch: —

THE PASSING AWAY OF MISS BESSIE WILLSON AND HER SISTER. Miss Bessie Willson, who, was buried on Monday last in St. George's Churchyard, at the same time and in the same grave as her elder sister, was a well-known and striking personality in the religious life of Douglas.

The sisters Willson lived most unselfish lives, giving their time and money most freely in promoting good works. Given as they were to hospitality, their house in Mona-terrace was the guest house for the deputations of the various religious societies who came annually to, the Isle of Man; no matter what the denomination, the deputation always received a hearty welcome.

Miss Bessie Willson, as she was familiarly called, was well known as a very active and capable organiser and administrator in Christian work; while her sister was esteemed as a sweet, gentle, kind, sympathising helper in good work. Their friends likened them to " Martha and Mark.

When a branch of the Young Women's Christian Association was formed in Douglas in 1885, Miss Bessie Willson was appointed secretary, and continued to hold that office for upwards of 60 years, and for the last 25 years of the Y.W.C.A. work in Douglas, the Misses Willson provided rooms in their private house, where Bible classes, prayer meetings, and other meetings for young women were held, and a number of Y.W.C.A. members from across the water were taken in for their holidays during the visiting season.

The Misses Willson were the last of that large colony of gentlefolk who took up their abode in Douglas about the middle of the last century. Their father, the late Colonel J. Kenneth Willson, of the R.M.L.L., bought the house in Derby-square where the Misses Willson died; so that after their long life, having lived together nearly 90 years, they passed away from the same home where their father and their brother, Major Willson, died so many years before.


Died April 5th, 1919.

A very worthy though exceedingly unassuming citizen of Douglas passed away on April 5th in the person of Mr Joseph Shimmin, ironmonger, of 10 Castle-street, Douglas. Mr Shimmin was greatly respected by all classes in Dauglas, and by his intimate friends he was regarded with affectionate esteem. He was a son of the late Mr Evan Shimmin, of Douglas, who in early life carried on the business of a rope manufacturer in premises situate off Brunswick-road-the site of the old factory and rope-walk is now occupied by dwelling-houses. Mr Joseph Shimmm, while a youth, was apprenticed to the late Mr William Christian, ironmonger, of Nelson-street, and about 40 years ago he started in business on his own account on the North-quay, subsequently, on the death of his father, removing to Castlestreet, where the business is still being carried on. The deceased gentleman, who was in his 70th year, married Miss Kendal, daughter of the late Mr Robert Kendal, of the Isle of Man Railway Co., and she, together with a son and daughter, remain to mourn his loss. The late Mr Shimmin was for a long number of years one of the Guardians of the Poor of Douglas, and throughout his life he was a member of the Primitive Methodist Church, and was the oldest official at Buck's Road Church, being for over 30 years secretary of the Trust Funds, and a trustee of both the Wellington-street Chapel, and later of Buck's Road Church. For many years he conducted a most successful young men's class in the Sunday-school. Mr Shimmin had the gift of poetry, and much graceful verse from his pen has been published in the "Examiner" from time to time. He mainly devoted himself to devotional subjects, and wrote several hymns of much merit, which were sung at anniversary services. His younger brother, the Rev Isaac Shimmin, is a prominent Wesleyan minister, who after serving many years on the South African mission field, returned to England, and is at present stationed at Eastbourne. - The Mayor of Douglas (Alderman John Kelly, J.P.) was the preacher at Buck's-road Church on Sunday evening, and at the close of his sermon he paid eloquent tribute to the work of the later Mr Shimmin. both in the church and in other spheres of life. At the close of the preacher's remarks, the Dead March in "Soul" was rendered by the church organist. Mr T. P. Fargher.

The funeral took. place on Tuesday, April 8th. and was largely attended. The mourners included Mr Geo. Shimmin (son), the Rev Isaac Shimmin (brother), Messrs Wm. Quirk, W. G. Qualtrough, W. R. Sansbury, Alderman John Kelly (Mayor of Douglas), Moses Hampton, John Corkill, J. V. Corkill, and J. E. Douglas. The Board of Guardians were represented by Messrs J. J. Quine (chairman), F. C. Poulter (vico-chairman), W. D. Radcliffe, J. J. Kelly, E. Corrin, J. Phillips, J. Lewin, R. G. Fargher, S. K. Broadbent, Geo. Hanson, D. H. Rothwell (clerk), and Inspector Moore. Amongst those Present were Messrs R. Forrest, W. H. Bell, D. Kelly, W. H. Coupe, W. H. Clucas, W. Kelly, D. Corrin, T. Kneale, H. Kerruish, J. Kewley, R. E. E. Quilliam, J. Sharp, E. Henry, J. Nottingham, T. C. Kermodo, H. B. C. Callow, T. Carlyle, C. H. Kay, J. L. Killip, J. AT. Jolley, W. Joughin, J. C. Cannoll, S. Bignall, W. Corlett, R. Creer, T. Stowell, R. H. Kinley, A. B. Mackenzie, W. Cubbon, T. H. Hodson, W. J. Quirk, W. Mc Adam, C. Harvey, Lieut. Harvey, J. E. Kaye, W. J. Slkillicorn, J. Kaneen, J. Kinrade, R. W. Cretney, R. Q. Hampton, Sergt. J. Cubbon, --. Cowell, J. Moran, J. T. Brew, -. Cannell, G. Moore, S. Taylor, A. Callister, W. Higgins, Revs F. W. Henshal'l, H. Fox, and T. Markwoll. 71he interment took place at Braddan Cemetery, the Rev F. 1V. Henshall performing the last rites at the graveside. The Rechabite service was read by his Worship the Mayor (Bro. John Kelly, J.P.).


Died March, 1919,

There passed away in March, at the age of 86, one of Nature's gentlemen in the person of John Cubbon, a native of Ronague (Ballabeg), Isle of Man. He married some 61 years ago a Miss Clague, of Ballabeg, who was nurse to the children of Mr Hawey, vice-principal of King William's College. It was from the College that Miss Clague was taken to be married at Arbory Church. After marriage, Mr and Mrs Cubbon settled in Peel for a few years, leaving the town some 54 or 55 years ago for Barrow-in-Furness, where Mr Cubbon worked as a shoemaker. After a three years' sojourn, he left Barrow and went to Preston, staying there one year; thence he found a permanent and congenial home in Burnley. With the true Manx instinct for natural beauty, he loved the place of his adoption second only to his " dear- little Island home." He came of an old Manx Wesleyan stock, one of his uncles being the late Henry Cubbon, of Laxey (" Harry Ballayelse "). His only remaining brother is Mr James ~Cubbon, now of Onohan, but formerly a police sergeant at Ballaugh. On coming to Burnley, Mr .John Cubbon identified himself with the Wesleyan Methodists, and worked and worshipped quietly and unostentatiously for 49 years at Hargreaves-street Wesleyan Church and the Lane Bridge Mission, which is an offshoot of the former. A true gentleman and a genuine Christian, he gave and spent the whole of his full and noble life for others. He leaves to mourn his loss three sons and four daughters. Of the sons, the elddst is a prosperous tradesman in Southport; the second is managing director of "King's Limited," a large boot-repairing factory in Burnley; and the youngest is in South Africa. The Manx nation, small though it be numerically, will never lag behind while it produces such men as John Cubbon.


Died May 13th, 1919.

After being laid up but a short time Mr R. Kerruish, J.P., C.P., died at his residence, Ballavelt, Maughold, on Tuesday, May 13. His wife died a few months ago, and Mr Kerruish has noticeaby failed since then, but the immediate cause of death was reported to be Appendicitis; For a time the deceased held a seat in the House of Keys as one of the members for Garff, but he was defeated at the last General Election., On the death of Mr F. Allen he was appointed Captain of the Parish or Maughold and he was made a Justice of the Peace about two years ago., He only sat on the bench once or twice, his last (if not his first) appearance being made a few weeks ago. Mr Kerruish was a local preacher in the Ramsey Wesleyan Circuit, being third on the list. The interment took place in Maughold Churchyard on Friday May 16th.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2003