[From Manx Quarterly #20 1919]
Died May 29th, 1918,
It is with very deep regret we announce that Mr William Taubman Crennell, representative of the Town of Ramsey in the House of Keys, died at his residence in Ramsey on Tuesday, May 29th. Mr Crennell, on Thursday previous, attended a meeting of the Isle of Man Wesleyan District Synod hold at Castletown, and at the meeting he was to all appearances in good health. He returned to his home and was preparing to retire for the night, at about 11 o'clock, when he was suddenly seized with paralysis. The seizure resulted in deprivation of the power of speech and rendered one side of his body useless. Dr. Roe, who was immediately summoned, treated the patient, and Dr. Pantin was subsequently called in in consultation. For a considerable time Mr Crennell remained in a comatose condition, but on Monday it was announced that there was a change for the better. The improvement was, however, but transient of character, and as stated Mr Crennell passed peacefully away shortly after 10 o clock on Tuesday morning.
The late William Taubman Crennell was born 51 years ago. He was a son of the late Mr William Crennell, a gentleman who for many years bore a prominent part in the public life of the Isle of Man, and who for a considerable period represented a constituency in the House of Keys. Mr W. T. Crennell was born and educated in Ramsey and served his time as a grocer with his father, to whose business he eventually succeeded, though he retired from it while in the prime of life. Always of a studious disposition, Mr W. T. Crennell was a widely read man, and his reading resulted in him becoming remarkably well-informed upon political, social, and general questions. As a young man be took a great interest in Manx affairs, and more particularly in political matters affecting Ramsey and the North. At a bye-election in 1900, he was returned to the House of Keys as one of the representatives of Michael Sheading, and at the General Election in 1903 he was again returned for the sheading, retaining his seat until 1906.
In the last-named year he found that his attitude in support of a bill which provided that there should be one Education Authority for the Isle of Man did not commend itself to a large section of his constituents, and he accordingly resigned his membership of the House. At the General Election in 1908, however, he was returned as member for his native town of Ramsey, and at the next General Election (1913) he was again returned for the town after a very close and exciting contest with Mr R. Sayle Corlett. He sat as member for Ramsey to the day of his death. Almost immediately upon his return for Michael Sheading, Mr Crennell achieved prominence in the House and quickly secured the reputation of being one of the most astute and able members of the Legislature. He scored to great purpose in connection with a successful effort to obtain relief for Ramsey from the burdens imposed upon the town in connection with Harbour Works, this achievement being accomplished while he was still one of the representatives of Michael. He also bore a prominent part in the Constitutional Reform agitation, of which be was one of the most ardent supporters. In this connection he on more than one occasion represented the House of Keys on deputations to the Imperial Authorities in London on financial and other matters concerned with the Isle of Man. Several important legislative proposals were initiated by Mr Crennell, and with regard to these he demonstrated that he was exceedingly skilful in the drafting of bills and amendments. During the disputes which culminated in the famous deadlock of 1912 between the Legislative Council and the House of Keys, he eloquently and ably championed the position taken up by the House on the subject of financial control, and it was mainly owing to his advocacy that the House maintained their contention that the Governor's previous consent to financial proposals was not necessary. In the many differences that arose from time to time between the Governor and the Council on the one hand, and the Keys on the other, he was always in the van so far an asserting the rights and privileges of the House was concerned, A Liberal-Conservative, he incurred some odium from the Tory party in the House by supporting such measures as the Old Age Pensions Bill, the Estates Duty Bill, and the Income Tax Bill, while his strong opposition to the Workmen's Compensation Bill an opposition which prevailed resulted in him being warmly antagonised by the more democratic section of the community. The last bill which Mr Crennell piloted through the House of Keys was the Adult Suffrage Bill, though those proposals in the bill which abolished the plural voting system failed to carry. In connection with the bill he opposed successfully amendments having for object a redistribution of seats, though he admitted that Redistribution could not logically be resisted, and indeed he subsequently voted for a revolution that a committee to consider the question should be appointed, the resolution being only lost by one vote. Mr Crennell was invariably appointed to important committees of the House, and he frequently acted as chairman a position for which his fine knowledge of procedure peculiarly fitted him. So strenuous was his work on committees that it is to be feared he overworked him elf, and thus contributed to his collapse at a comparatively early age. As from the General Election of 1913, he was acknowledged as the leader of the House of Keys, all sections of the House uniting in admission of his outstanding ability. He was a member of two of the most important boards appointed by Tynwald the Council of Education and the Harbour Board. For several years he was chairman of the Council of Education and did magnificent work far the advancement of Education m the Isle of Man, though he was seriously handicapped in his aspirations by the reluctance of the House of Keys to go the lengths he desired. He took a patriotic outlook concerning the war, and in this connection he moved the vote of £10,000 from the Insular Exchequer to the Imperial Government in aid of war expenses, and be also proposed the application of the first Military Service Act to the Isle of Man. As, Chairman of the Local Tribunal under the Military Service Acts, the has performed conscientious service to the Island. The greater part of the work of examining the applicants and sifting the evidence devolved on him, and he never failed to carry out these duties with care and zeal. He was also a member of important war organisations, each as the Prince of Wales' Fund Committee and the Soldiers' and Sailors Families Association, and recently he was appointed a Justice of the Peace. Personally, Mr Cannell was a most approachable man, and he had a fine aptitude for making friends, his charm of manner materially aiding him in respect. He was ever courteous, and was always most ready to advise and assist his fellows in their public work. He had also that rare and most useful gift in a public man tact. A sincere Christian, though no bigot, Mr Crennell was an adherent of the Wesleyan Methodist body, but he had a kindly feeling to other forms of religion. By all classes in the Island, even by his political opponents, he was respected and esteemed, and there is general mourning that he has been removed by death. Mr Crennell married Miss Lily Clague, one of the daughters of the late Mr John Clague, of Peel. He is survived by his widow and by the two children of the marriage a son and a daughter.
Striking manifestation of the great respect and esteem in which the late Mr William Taubman Crennell was held throughout the Isle of Man was forth, calming at the funeral of the deceased Gentleman, which took piece on Saturday afternom. The death of Mr Crennell occurred on Wednesday of last, week, and once the sad news spread expression of deep regret that so able a Man should have been coked ever to the Oresiy Majonty whils Wt the zenith of this brilliant career, were heard on all sides. The attendance at the funeral was exceedingly large, and it was certainly representative of the whole Island. Particularly were people of every dire and condition in the Northern district observed among the mournful throng. Members of both waae*es of the Mans LegisiMam fell~onsed the moral remains of their distinguished confrere to the last resting place, and members of other public bodies were also conspicuous in the procession. Notwithstanding the fact that Saturday afternoon is the busiest time of the week in Ramsey business circles, every shop in the town was closed during the time the funeral was passing though the town. There was an immense gathering outside the residence of the late Mr Crennell at May Hill, and members of the Legislature and other public bodies formed in procession and preceded the coffin, which was borne in turn by officials of the Waterloo-road Wesleyan Church, of which Mr Crennell was a member. The mourners were Messrs J. H. Crennell (son), E. A. Crennell and J. T. Crennell (brothers), J. E. Hoyle (brother-in-law), A. H, Teare, and J. Baxter Clague. On reaching the church, the procession opened out to allow the coffin to be borne into the church. The Bishop of Sodor and Man (Dr Denton Thompeon), accompanied by Rev H. Williams (Chairman of the Isle of Man Wesleyan District), followed the coffin to the church. A large number of people assembled in the church, in the nave of which were seated the representatives of the family. The funeral service were read by the Rev W. J. Hannam (supt. minister of Ramsey Wesleyan Circuit), and the hymn, " O God our Help in ages past" was feelingly sung. The Psalm was read by the Rev B. W. McAdoo, and the Rev Henry Williams read the lesoon. After the hymn, " When I survey the wondrous Cress," had been sung, the Rev W. T. Hannam delivered a brief address.
Mr Hannam said: My dear friends t am quite sure you would expect a few words to be spoken on this sad occasion, to pay honour to the memory of one whose life has been lived in our midst, and whose influence on all shades of thought was never greater than when he was suddenly cut down in his prime. We mourn today the loss of a noble patriot, an intense citizen, a genuine lover of his Native Isle. That lose will come home to in more than one way. As many have ,ar=e t. me, his loss is irreparable. may be truly said, we shall miss him
re as days go by. Privileged as I was "th a close and intimate friendship, I y be pardbued in referring to one fact.
I believe whatever value he set upon his public career, and the enthusiasm with which he fulfilled! every part thereof, the source was to be traced to a deep and loyal attachment to his Lord and Master. Rear&d among the influence of this church, and springing from a godly home, he laid hold of and believed in uhe great verities of our faith. He did not wear his heart on his sleeve, but when he spoke from his heart it was with a simple faith is the redeeming work of his Saviour. It was something more than a coincidence that the last time he opened his ïips in public was in the service of his Church, in the recent Synod at Caotletown. He was endowed with great natural ability, with a remarkably dear and analytical mind. It might be said that the mere involved and technical the subject was, the more he excelled in making it simple to the average mind, with the result that he was always read with great interest and an increasing confidence. His one point was to serve the present age, learning its needs at the foot of the Cross. In the Legislature, he was the uncrowned but acknowledged leader of the House, and even those who felt cause to oppose him would respect him for his eminently fair and candid powers of debate. If one may say so, the greatest service he rendered to his Island was in connection with the Tribunals, though we acknowledge the great assistance he gave to the cause of education. He told me that he wished to see all those who were called before the Tribunal fairly treated in respect of their business and other claims, as well as getting every man possible for the Forces. To hold the balance fairly needed all the mental acumen and discretion he possessed, and the choice of him as chairman of the Tribunal indicated the confidence that war reposed in him. That confidence was not misplaced. I shall reserve what I have to say about his place in church life to the service tomorrow morning. Enough to Say, that in the affairs of the day school, the Sunday-school, and church, he gave that same keen devotion that ever characterised his more public service. It seems a tragic thing that when he was really most indispensable. and in the zenith of his powers, this active public servant should be out down; " as the banner which he bore drops from his hand, may there be others ready to step forward and grasp it and bear it on so that the battle for righteousness may not languish: until the Lord whom he served so conspicuously shall come as Lord of lords and King of kings. The memory of the just is blessed. " Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord. Yea, saith the Spirit, for they rest from their labours and their works follow after them."
Prayer was then offered by the Rev W. J. Hannam, and at the close of the service the Dead March in " Saul" was reverently played by the organist, Mr J. Craine.
On leaving the church, the funeral procession was formed in the following order Children of the Sunday-school, day school, and the Children's Home; sidesmen and trustees of Waterloo-road Wesleyan Church; representatives of the Ramsey Board of Guardians; representatives of the Ramsey School Board; representatives of the North Ramsey Bowling Club; representatives of the Lifeboat Committee; representatives of the Ramsey Water Works Co.; representatives of the Ramsey Town Commissioners; representatives of the Manx Labour Party. The members of the Legislative Council present were the Lord Bishop, Deemster Callow, the Receiver-General, the Archdeacon, and the Vicar-General. Of the members of the Keys, there were present: The Speaker (Mr D. Maitland), and Messrs Jno. R. Kerruish, W. Christian, T. F. Quine, W. H. Kitto, T. H. Cormode, J. Garside, J. Cunningham, W. F. Cowell, S. W. Anderson, J. W. Walton, E. J. Curphey, A. Christian, Wm. C. Southward, R. S. Corlett, Edw. Callieter, and F. S. Dalgleish ; Mr R. D. Gelling (Clerk to the House), Canon J. Quine (Chaplain), and the Messengers of the House (Sergt. Comaish and Constable Clarke). Among others present were the High-Bailiff of Ramsey and Peel (Mr F. M. LaMothe) and members and officials of public bodies from other parts of the Island.
The cortege proceeded by way of Parliament-street and the Sandy-road to Kirk Andreas Churchyard, where the interment took place, the last rites being performed by the Rev W. J. Hannam and Rev Barton W. McAdoo. It had been announced that the Bishop of Sodor and Mann would take part in the service at Kirk Andreas, but his Lordship was not present at the actual interment.
Died May 18th, 1918,
Mr Richard Qualtrough, of The Friary, Arbory, died on Saturday, May 18th, after a long illness. Deceased, who was 56 years, was a son of the late Mr Thomas Qualtrough, of Strandhall. He was a successful farmer for a number of years at Ballacregeen, Colby, and for the last three years at The Friary. He was attached to the Primitive Methodist connexion, a most acceptable local preacher, and he had filled all the important posts in the circuit, including that of circuit steward. As a member of the sub-committee, he was entitled to a seat on the General Committee of the Liverpool District. He was Conference representative three years ago. but was prevented from attending owing to his health. He never failed in hospitality, and his home was always open to ministers and local preachers. The deceased was a Past Chief Ruler of the Mona Tent of Rechabites, and one of the Tent trustees. He took a warm interest in local affairs, was for many years a valued member of the Arbory School Board a position which he retained up to the time of his death and was until recently a member of the Southern District Higher Education Board. His wife, who survives him, is a daughter of Mr John Moore, Claughbane, and there are six children two sons and four daughters. He leaves a memory fragrant of the best things, and deep sympathy is felt for the bereaved.
On Tuesday afternoon the remains of the late Mr Qualtrough were interred in Arbory Churchyard. At the home of the deceased the hymn " O God, our help in ages past " was sung. The service in the Parish Church was conducted by the Rev F. W. Stubbs (vicar), and the lesson was read by the Rev John Graham (Primitive Methodist minister). The hymn was " Jesu, Lover of my Soul," and the voluntary "O rest in the Lord," and other appropriate selections were played on the organ. There was a large attendance of sympathisers.
Died June14th, 1918,
Mr Alexander Hough, who was for many years a prominent figure in Douglas business and political circles, died at his residence, The Carey, Cronkbourne-road, Douglas, on Monday, June 24th. The deceased gentleman, who was in his sixty-seventh year, was born in Peel and spent his early years in the Western town, where he served his apprenticeship as a tailor. While still a young man he came to Douglas, where he eventually set up in business as a master tailor. He ever took a great interest in municipal and political affairs, and just prior to the passing of the Douglas Municipal Corporation Act, 1895, he served a term on the board of Town Commissioners. He re-entered active municipal life in 1903, when he was returned to the Town Council as a representative of Hills Ward, but retired upon the completion of his term of office. He was a ready and intelligent speaker, and his contributions to debate were always received with respect and appreciation by his fellow members of the Council. In the course of his membership of the Town Commissioners and Town Council he served on most of the principal standing committees. He was one of the founders of the Manx Liberal Association, and took a great interest in the affairs of that body, of which he was president for a term. In this last-named capacity he frequently took the chair at public meetings held in the interest of Liberal candidates for election to the House of Keys. In connection with the Isle of Man Chamber of Commerce promoted by Mr Briscoe, he was chairman for some years, and was also a member of the Douglas Debating Society, and served as, chairman. He was a prominent rnember and official of the Finch Hill Congregational Church. His son, the Rev Alex. Hough, who is a missionary of the Congregational Church, recently left for Samoa,, after spending his leave of absence in the Island. Mr Hough was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Corlett, of Douglas. He had four sons and one daughter by this marriage Mr Henry Hough, in America; Mr Gen. Hough, of Douglas; Rev Alex. Hough, and Mr Chas. Hough. The last-named is at present serving with H.M. Forces. The daughter is Mrs Capper, now residing in England. His second wife was Miss Mary S. Lyon, of Douglas, and she survives her husband.
The funeral took place at Braddan Cemetery on Thursday. Amongst the mourners were: Messrs George Hough, Charles Hough (sons), W. H. Capper (son-in-law), C. Corlett, Robt. Corlett (brothers-in-law), J. G. Corlett F. Kelly James Corlett, J. H Clarke, and W. Kissack (nephews), Dalrymple Maitland S.H.K. , Philip Christian, J.P., D. Putt, C. J. Blackburn E. Corrin, G. Hanson, officials of Finch Hill Congregational Church, R. Q. Hampton, S. K. Broadbent, T. Halsall, J. H. Toothill, D. Corrin, G. A. Burr W. A. Fyffe, Joseph Garside M.H.K., Capt. C. Fox (Knockaloe), Capt J. H. Cubbon, J. Kelly, W. R. Kay, W. M. Corkill J. T. Cottier Edwin Creer, Thomas Hough, Craine, W. H. Emett, George Curphey. The Revs A. H. Whiteley and Martin C. Taylor conducted a short service in Finch Hill Church, where was assembled a large number of ladies and gentlemen. At the close of the service the organist played the Dead March (in "Saul "), The same ministers officiated at the graveside.
Died July 6th, 1918,
It will be learned with very great regret that Mr W. H. Wilkin, who for several years past has carried on business as a jeweller at Regent-street, Douglas, died on Saturday. July 6th. Mr Wilkin, who was in his fifty-fourth year, had been in ill-health for some time. His wife, who before her marriage was Miss Cannell, carried on a confectionery business in Duke-street, pre-deceased him, Mr Wilkin was a member of the Tynwald and the Arthur Stanley Lodges of Freemasons (being one of the founders of the latter), and was held in high esteem by the brethren. The funeral, which took place on Tuesday morning, was very largely attended, many Masonic brethren being present.
Died July 24th, 1918,
The death of Mr Robert Killip, J.P., which took place at Onchan, Isle of Man, on Thursday, July 18th, came as an unpleasant surprise to many friends who had seen him in his ordinary state of health both in Liverpool and in the Island.
Mr Killip, who was 70 years of age, was in business as an estate agent, etc., and for many years he found time to devote to public service, in the first place as a member of the Toxteth Board of Guardians of the Poor, and more recently as a Justice of the Peace for Liverpool. As a member of the Toxteth Guardians, he was credited with rendering excellent parochial service in various directions, and his later service on the responsible body named was signalised by his being unanimously voted by his colleagues to the chairmanship. An ardent advocate of the temperance cause and an educational enthusiast, it was also through his instrumentality that workhouse inmates out on leave among their friends were allowed to wear civilian clothes. Improved dietary and the providing of homes for children apart from the " house " also owed much to his advocacy. It was also through his exertions that the Liverpool School Board of years ago ceased their vexatious prosecution of working men for their accumulated arrears of school fees. The services which he held on Sunday evenings in the dining hill of the Toxteth Institution were much appreciated by the inmates and approved by the chaplain, and as a consistent Christian worker he will be much missed. Sympathetic references were made in the Liverpool Police Courts on Friday week by Alderman W. Roberts, J.P., and the Magistrates' Clerk (Mr C., T. Barton).
We are indebted to the " Liverpool Daily Post " for the above particulars. Mr Killip was well-known in the Island, especially in Douglas and in the North. He frequently preached in Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and was a great favourite on account of his uniform genial and pleasant style. He has had a residence at St. Catherine's, Onchan, far many years. He leaves a wife and six sons, three of whom are in the Army. He did a great deal of good in Onchan, taking special interest in everything connected with soldiers said sailors, and will be much missed in the village.
Our readers will remember that he frequently contributed poems and hymns to this paper, some of which we have preserved in the " Manx Quarterly " of recent dates.
The funeral of Mr Robert Killip, J.P., of Liverpool and Onchan (whose death is recorded on page 4), took place at Smithdown-road Cemetery, Liverpool, on Wednesday and was preceded by a service in the Wellington-road Methodist Church, of which the deceased was the oldest member and a trustee. The representative gathering of mourners at the church and cemetery, and more especially the numbers of poorer residents and children, was a notable token of public esteem. The Rev W. Locke Smith and the Rev A. Bamforth (Denton), a former minister at Wellington-road, conducted the service, and Mr J. S. Whalley (organist) played "O, rest in the Lord," the Dead March, and Chopin's " Marche Funebre." The principal mourners were Mrs Killip, Mr Arthur Killip, Mrs Joseph Killip, Mr and Mrs James Killip, Mr Ernest Killip, Mr and Mrs William Killip, Mr and Mrs Robert Killip, jun., the Rev A. Bamforth, Mr Richard Horton, Mrs Lewin Mr R. H. Banks, Mr Arthur Fryer, Miss Fryer, Mr J. Penny, Mr J. Poole, Mr F. Lewin, Mrs Scotland, and Miss Scotland. The Toxteth Union and staff were represented by Messrs W. Boadle (chairman) W. Lunt, and W. E. Woodhall, and Mrs Eilis (guardians), Mews R. A. James (clerk), George Roberts (superintendent registrar), John W. Roberts, ana Evan Davies. The overseers of Toxteth Park present were Messrs W. E. Woodhall, W. P. Coslett, J.P., H. Leech, and S. Evans, with Mr G. A. Cain (assistant overseer). Wreaths and floral tributes were sent by his sorrowing Wife; James and Mary; Willie and Ada; Robbie and Elsie; Ernie and Elsie; Joe and Elsie and Arthur; Alice, Francis, Mary, Pala, Mauren, and Dennis (grandchildren); officials at the Public Offices, High Park-street; members of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Onchan, Isle of Man; members of the Wellington-road Church; Mr and Mrs Scotland and Lena; Mrs Cain (Douglas) ; Mr and Mrs Bell; George A. Pearce; N. Morecroft; Mr and Mrs J. Cavillier; Mr and Mrs Barnes; Joss and Alice Broomfield; Mr and Mrs Banks; and others.
Died June 8th, 1918,
Ms Robert Kneen, who for a period of sixty years had been a prominent figure in connection with agriculture in the Isle of Man, died at Knockaloe Moar, Patrick, on Saturday, June 8th. Born in the parish of Ballaugh 82 years ago, Mr Kneen commenced farming on his own account. at Lhea-kerrow, Andreas, in 1881. Four years later he went to Ballamona, Ballaugh, which estate he farmed for 17 years, afterwards taking up the tenancy of Ballavarry, Andreas. He farmed Ballavarry for seven years, and then took Eyreton, Marown, which property he farmed for 14 years, during seven of which he farmed both Ballavarry and Eyreton. Nineteen years ago he took Knockaloe Moar, now occupied as the Alien Detention Clamp. For many years his eldest son, Mr Robert Kneen, junr., was joined with him in carrying on the extensive agricultural operations at Knockaloe, but the elder Mr Kneen retained to the very end an active interest in the business. For half-a-century the deceased gentleman was associated with the Isle of Man Agricultural Society, and frequently he exhibited largely at the society's shows. He was the first tenant farmer to be elected as President of the society, and his year of office was marked by considerable enterprise. On several occasions, too, he acted as judge at the society's shows. No man in the Island was better informed on the subject of Manx land values than he, and its this connection he frequently acted as an arbitrator. Generally, he took a deep interest in Manx national and local affairs, and on one occasion he contested a bye-election to fill up a vacancy in the representation of Michael in the House of Keys, when he was defeated by one vote. Mr Kneen was of genial disposition, and was highly respected and esteemed throughout the Isle of Man. He leaves seven sons and four daughters. The funeral took place on Tuesday, and was largely attended. Interment was at Kirk Patrick burial ground.
Died Judy 11th, 1918.
It will be learned with deep regret that Mr Campbell Lee Fraser, manager of the Isle of Man Homes for Orphan and Destitute Children, died on Friday, July 12th. Mr Fraser, who, in conjunction with his wife, had been in charge of the institution far several years was very highly respected in Douglas and throughout the Island. Prior to his appointment to the position he was in business in Douglas as a pharmaceutical chemist. By the committee of the Homes he was held in very great esteem and the children to whom he was verily in loco parentis regarded him with well-merited affection. Within the last six months Mr and Mrs Fraser sustained a severe blow in the loss of their only son, who died while fighting for King and Country in France. For some months past Mr Fraser has been in rather weak health; but his death came as surprise to most people. The funeral took on Monday morning Interment being at Borough Cemetery, Mr Fraser was in his year.
Died June 30th, 1918.
The death of Mr William Isaac Costain, of Earystein, Arbory, took place suddenly on Sunday, June 30th, the sad news being received throughout the South of the Island with genuine regret. Though of apparent sturdy build Mr Costain was never robust, and he had several times been laid aside with severe rheumatism. The immediate cause of death was heart trouble. Mr Costain was about 48 years old, unmarried, and lived with his sister; by occupation a farmer, and a prominent figure in local circles. He was a member of the Arbory Parish Commissioners, and for a term filled the post of chairman; a member of the committee of Laa Columb Killey and the Arbory Hospital Committee, and for some time a churchwarden. He was also a member of the first-appointed Local Tribunal in the early days of the war, A Wesleyan Methodist in religion, Mr Costain took a keen and constant interest in the cause at Ronague and Earystein, where he held various offices. As a local preacher his original and evangelical discourses were most acceptable in all the pulpits of the circuit,
Died July 17th, 1918,
With regret we announce the sudden and unexpected death of Dr Robert R. Stitt, of Fistard, Port St Mary, which took place at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 17th July. The sad news was communicated to Mrs Stitt by Dr. Hickey principal medical officer at Knockaloe Detention Camp, who received a cable message stating that the doctor was seriously ill, directly afterwards followed by another wire from Halifax that Dr. Stitt passed away on the. 17th instant, from blood-poisoning caused by the bite of a gnat on the lip, and that. his remains were interred at Halifax on the 19th.
Dr. Stitt was the second son of the late Colonel Samuel Stitt, V.D., of Birkenhead, and of Mrs Stitt, Caldy, West Kirby, and he was in his 51st year. When a young man, he carries on private practice at Albany-street and Chester-gate, London, N.W. Being fond of the sea, the doctor from time to time held the office or surgeon on vessels belonging to the Canard, Union Castle, Alfred Holt, and P.O. lines, and visited ports in all parts of the world. Subsequently he was appointed police surgeon and school medical officer for the Country Borough of Bootle, Liverpool, and surgeon of the Bootle Fire Brigade. He has resided on the Island since 1910, when he erected a handsome residence at Fistard, Port St Mary, commanding views of the headlands and sea. He built up a private practice in the South, and in 1913 was appointed by the Council of Education to make a test medical inspection of children attending Insular elementary schools. A Freemason, he was a member of the Lodge of Mona, Castletown. In the early days of war the doctor was surgeon on H.M. hospital ship Gascon (on the West African coast), H.M. hospital ship Carisbrook Castle (sailing between England and France), and H.M.S. Pegasus (Zanzibar). In 1915 Dr. Stitt was appointed resident medical officer in charge of No. 2 . Camp at Knockaloe, and from January, 1916, he was medical officer in charge of the troops at this camp. He resigned his commission in November last for health reasons, after two and a half years' useful` service. He returned to transport work, and was on his fourth voyage when the end came with such tragic suddenness. The doctor was home on leave at the beginning of June. He was of a genial disposition, and beloved in all walks of life. Among the degrees held by the late Dr. Stitt were the following:-L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S., Edin.; L.R.F.P.S., Glas., and L.M., 1892; (Univ. and R.C.S., Min.); Fell, Soc. M.O.H. Genuine sympathy goes out to his widow and only son (aged 8½ years), and other members of the family in their sorrow.
Died 23rd April, 1918,
Mr Thomas Quayle, nonagenarian sire of a family prominent in Oak Park and Chicago, passed away on 23rd April at his home, 229 North Harvey-avenue. He had passed his 90th birthday anniversary, and his mental and physical condition were still good. Mr Quayle was born on 21st January, 1828, in the Isle of Man. In 1840 he came to Chicago with his family, and in 1871 bined the Chicago and North Western Railroad in the passenger car department, whore he remained until 18 years ago, when he retired from active business. For the last 26 years he had made his home in Oak Park. Impressive funeral services were conducted at the Cuyler Avenue Methodist Church.-Mr Quayle is survived by two sons, Robert Quayle, of Oak Park (general superintendent of motive power of the Chicago and North Western Railroad), and William Quayle (a master mechanic of the same concern at Green Bay, Wis.); three daughters, Misses Annie and Lizzie Quayle, and Mrs P. M. Watterson, of 306 North Elmwood-avenue; twelve grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Mrs Quayle died twelve years ago.
The late Mr Thomas Quayle was a brother of the late Mr J. Quayle, a gentleman who some thirty years ago was prominent in Douglas circles.
Died 28th April, 1918,
Mr John Brew, the oldest member of the well-known Brew family of Ramsey, died on 28th April, and his passing has occasioned genuine regret in the town, with which he was activly connected for many years. He was the principal of the firm of J. Brew, Ltd., butchers, and for a number of years he was extensively engaged in farming also. The deceased gentleman was chairman of the Water Works Company up to the time of his death. Mr Brew took a lively interest in the affairs of the town. Ho was for a time chairman of the School Board, when the new board schools were erected. The erection of the schools was opposed, but the work had Mr Brew's warm support. He was for a good many years one of the superintendents of the Wesleyan Sunday-school, and a good friend of the young people. Mr Brew's wife, who died eleven years ago, was a sister of the late Mr J. Q. Cannell, Ballacarnane, Michael. Three members of the Brew family have passed away in about three years The survivors are Mr Fred Brew, manager at the Ramsey office of the L. & Y. Bank; Mr Edward Brew, marine engineer; Miss Naylor, and Miss Brew. The deceased also leaves a son and a daughter.-The funeral took place on Wednesday at Maughold, a large gathering of townspeople attending,
Died October 28th, 1918,
It was with deep sorrow that the news of the death of Mr James A. Place, schoolmaster, of Port St Mary, was received throughout the district. Mr Place, up to about two months previous to his death, seemed. to be in good health. Then, on the advice of his medical attendant, he was induced to take a rest. For the last four weeks he was confined to his room, and the end came with startling suddenness on Saturday, 26th October. Mr Place was a Liverpool man by birth, and served his apprenticeship in that city, proceeding at a later date to Chester Training College. After serving at Millom, and at Royton (near Oldham), he came to the Isle of Man twenty-seven years ago, when he was appointed to the headmastership of Santon Board School. In that district he did excellent work and endeared himself to the community by his willingness to assist in any function which was for the welfare of -the district, and by his modest retiring ways. Twenty years ago he was appointed headmaster of Port St Mary Boys School, and he held the position at the time of his death. Here he has laboured with untiring zeal and the fruits of his work are seen in the successful careers of the youths who have had the benefit of his training. Mr Place acted for many years as choirmaster of St Mary's Church, Port St Mary. He was a Past Chief Ruler of the Santon Union Tent of Rechabites, and auditor to the Mona Rushen Tent ever since he came to the district. He was also for many years honorary secretary to the Port St Mary Golf Club. His place will be hard to fill, and Port St Mary will be the poorer for the passing of one of its most upright of citizens. Mr Place leaves a widow and one son and daughter, Mr Charles E. S. Place and Miss Dorothy Place, both of whom now reside in Scotland. The genuine sympathy of many friends goes out to the family in their time of sorrow.-The funeral took place at Rushen Churchyard on Wednesday, 30th October. There was a large and representative attendance, including the scholars of Port St Mary Boys' School, who were marshalled by Messrs W. Cubbon, W. L. Corlett, and J. E. Leece (Douglas). The service in the church and at the graveside was conducted by the Rev Canon Leece (vicar) and the Rev W. R: Cannell. The hymn, "On the resurrection morning," was feelingly sung, and Mr A. Cregeen (organist) played a Funeral March. The wreaths included tributes from Wife, Dorothy, Charles, and Grace; Mr and Mrs W. Cubbon, Parochial Boys' School; teachers and scholars of Port St Mary Boys' and Infants' Schools; teachers of Rushen Girls' and Port Erin Infants' Schools; members of Rushen School Board; directors of Port St Mary Golf Club; Vicar and sidesmen of St Mary's Church, etc.
Died September 30th, 1918.
Mr Joseph Cannell, of 42 Alexander-drive, Douglas, died with startling suddenness in Victoria-street, Douglas, on September 30th. Mr Cannell, who was 71 years of age, had been down the Victoria Pier watching the arrival of the steamer from Liverpool, and was returning homewards in company with Mr Ceesar Christian and Mr Clarke Cowley. When passing the Grand Hotel, Mr Cannell suddenly collapsed to the ground, bleeding profusely from the mouth. He was quickly taken into the Grand Hotel, and Dr Marshall was sent for, but Mr Cannell passed away before the doctor arrived. Death was due to the rupture of a blood vessel internally. Deceased was formerly a member of the Liverpool constabulary. On retiring from the force with a pension, took up his residence in Douglas, and some time was employed by the Douglas Corporation as a car inspector in the summer months.
Died December 27th. 1918.
The death occurred on the 27th December, after a rather lengthy illness, of Mr Jas. Gelling, retired builder, of Rose-mount, Douglas, at the, good old age of 78 years. So successful were Mr Gelling's building ventures in early manhood that he was able to retire from business many years ago, when he took up angling, gardening, and bee-keeping, in which hobbies he was keenly interested. He was an ardent and skilful angler. For a term he was president of the Isle of Man Anglers' Association, and was a member of the Manx Fisheries Board for over 20 years. Much of his retirement was spent at Baldwin Vale, where he owned a picturesque cottage, garden, and riverside land. Mrs Gelling survives, also three sons and two married daughters. The funeral took place on Monday at Braddan Cemetery. It was largely attended, and there were many floral tributes of kindly regard.
Died Nommber 3rd, 1918,
Councillor Thomas Albert Cowan, a member of the Dalton Town Council for the Central Ward for many years, and a well-known figure in religious circles in Furness, died suddenly on Sunday, Nov. 3rd, whilst on his way on Sunday morning to take the service at Forshaw-street Primitive Chapel, Barrow. As a special preacher was unable to attend, Mr Cowan on Thursday was asked to fill the gap, and he most willingly consented. He left his home, 131 Market-street, about nine o'clock, and started to walk to Barrow, being then quite cheerful. Shortly afterwards he was brought home unconscious. He had got between the watering trough and, the tram terminus, when he was met by Mr A. M. Wheeler, of Barrow, with whom he had been asso ciated for 30 years. Mr Wheeler, who was coming to Dalton Primitive Methodist Church to preach, noticed that Mr Cowan was unwell and was trying to struggle on. Mr Wheeler got him to a seat, and as he was growing worse and could scarcely speak, Mr Wheeler hailed a motor that was passing and took him home, where he expired shortly afterwards. The deceased was 74 years of age, but looked much younger as the result of a well-ordered life. He had worked at Park Mines for 50 years, and up to Saturday was following his occupation as underground captain. A staunch Primitive Methodist, he was the life and soul of the local church and Sunday-school, and was a most acceptable local preacher. He was a member of the Joint capital Board, Dalton Education Committee, and Billincoat Charity; and in connection with the latter did a great deal of useful work. He was a native of Laxey, Isle of Man, and came to Dalton in his youth. Fearless in his advocacy of what he believed to be the right, he did not always make friends being content to follow the dictates of his own conscience. Those who knew him well respected him highly. In a quiet way he was a good friend to all the deserving; he was always cheerful. A most active man, a few weeks ago he was preaching in the heart of Westmoreland, and from there made a journey to London. He was a Liberal, but took no great part latterly in politics. His wife predeceased him seven years ago. The funeral took place on Wednesday.
The funeral of the late Councillor T. A. Cowan, of Dalton in Furness (formerly of Laxey), on Wednesday afternoon, November 6th, was very largely attended by Dalton residents and friends from Barrow, Ulverston, Millom, and other parts of Furness. The cortege, which left the residence of Mr and Mrs T. C. Hoskins (daughter and son-in-law), was headed by members of the Dalton Council and public bodies with which the deceased was for a long period actively associated. The coffin was borne into the chapel and to the graveside by mem-bers of the Primitive Methodist Church, co-workers with the deceased, Messrs Stretch, Grimes, Bromley, Rigg, P. Goodwill T. Cline, J. J. Quays and C. Strickland. The service in the little cemetery chapel was impressively conducted by the Rev T. W. Bevan, the Rev G. H. Birch, and the Rev J, G,. Anderson (Dalton Baptist Church). In the course of his address Mr Bevan said the departure of their friend would mean a great loss to the church. Whenever he was preaching, the sight of Mr Cowan was an inspiration. He died as he had lived, in the service of his Lord and Master. The Primitive Methodist cause lost an eloquent preacher and loyal servant, and the public bodies he served, a most worthy representative. At the graveside was sung a favourite hymn of the deceased, " Jesu, lover of my soul;' a fitting tribute to one who had successfully breasted the storms of life and had been quietly and safely guided into that haven of which he spoke so much to others.-The mourners were: Mr and Mrs T. C. Hoskins (daughter and son-in-law); Mr and Mrs P. Walmaley, London (son and daughter-in law) ; Doris and &el Hoskins (grand-daughters) ; Mr and Mrs Hartley, Swarthmoor (sister-in-law and brother-in-law); Mrs Topham and Miss Jeffrey (nieces); Mrs A. Pearce, Liverpoot ,(niece); Mr and Mrs John Caine (cousins) ; Mr and Mrs J. R. Walmsley, Mr T. Caine, Mr R. Caine, Mr John chine, Mr George Corlett, and Miss Corlett (cousins). Amongst the wreaths was one from the Barrow Hematite Steel Company Mines Department, and one from the officials. The P.M. Church and Sunday-schooll also sent wreaths.
At the meeting of the Dalton Education Committee last week, Councillor F. Fisher (who presided) said before transacting any business, he wished to refer to a sad occurrence since their last meeting, viz., the death of Councillor T. A. Cowan, a gentleman who had done a great deal of public work. He always showed a keen interest in the education of children, both in elementary and higher education. His place would be difficult to fill.
The Barrow Guardian of December 9th had the following reference to the death of Councillor Cowan:-"Died in harness! This expression was never more fully realised locally than by the passing away of Councillor Thomas Albert Cowan, of Dalton, a man full of years and honour. At the time he was attacked by a sadden illness he was on his way to Barrow to fulfil a promised preaching appointment for a minister who was ill. It is quite true and appropriate to repeat what a friend of Mr Cowan's said to me on Sunday evening: 'He was taken when doing his Master's work.' And he was never happier than when performing some religious duty; it was ingrained in him. He had spent over 50 years as a local preacher and religious teacher; then for more than 25 years he was associated with the local Board and Urban Council, for 21 years a member of the Gas Committee, some years on the Education Authority and Burial Board, and one of the trustees of the Billincoat Charity. Truly he was a marvellous man. If he could do a good turn to anybody he was only too willing to give his services. As a speaker he was fearless, impassioned and convincing, hence his success in the early days of Nonconformity in the Furness district, when he fought tenaciously for the rights hand privileges of his fellow dissenting citizens. I repeat he was a wonderful character, and could turn his hand to many things besides mining, religious work and temperance work. Where he will be most missed, however, next to his own home, will be in the Primitive Methodist Church, for here he was ever first and foremost, and none will ever know what he did and what he gave to his loved Bethel. We mourn the loss to-day of one of God's noblemen."
Died June 20th, 1918,
Mr Leonard B. Bradshaw, artist and photographer, of Finch-road, Douglas, died on Thursday, June 20th, after a somewhat prolonged illness. Mr Bradshaw, was of retiring disposition, but he was a well-informed and kindly gentleman, and he will be much missed by many friends he made in his native town. He was a keen chess player, and held the gold medal awarded to the winners of the silver cup annually competed for by the members of the Douglas Chess Club when that club was in existence. He was a Past Master of the Athole Lodge of Freemasons, and the high esteem in which he held by the brethren was evidenced the large number of Freemasons who attended the funeral, which took place on Sunday. Service was conducted at St. Thomas's Church, where Mr Bradshaw during life was a regular worshipper. Rev B. Jolly, M.A., conducted both the service at the church and at the graveside, the interment being at Braddan Cemetery.
Died September 4th, 1918.
The death occurred on Wednesday, 4th September, at the Roose Infirmary, Barrow-in-Furness, of Mr Thomas Wattleworth, a native of Peel. The deceased had been unwell for a considerable period, and was unable to follow his employment regularly. Some weeks ago he was compelled to give up his duties, and on the advice of his doctor entered the Infirmary. He was of a very retiring nature, most of his leisure time being spent in reading. His reminiscences of the palmy days of the Peel herring fishing were most interesting-he was a recognised authority on matters piscatory and meteorological. The funeral took place on Friday, Sept. 6th, at the Borough Cemetery. Amongst those present were Mr and Mrs Pitts, Mr Alfred Cannan, Mr J. Lloyd, Miss Lloyd, Mr T. Lloyd, Mrs Chilcott, Mr and Mrs H. C. F. Lace, Miss Muriel Lace, Mrs Cross, Mrs W. Watterson, Miss L. Gawne, Mr Mylrea. The pall-bearers were Messrs J. Quirk, F. Teare, T. Shimmin, and G. Sheard. He was a member of the Peel Lodge of Oddfellows.
Died October 14th, 1918.
Mr Matthias William Corran, a very fine specimen of the Manxman, died at his residence, Queen's-terrace, Douglas, on Oct. 14th. Though of advanced age-he had attained to his 84th year-Mr Corran, who was out and about so recently as last Sunday, apparently enjoyed good health, and he preserved a fair amount of activity to the end, death coming to him suddenly. He was born in the parish of Braddan, and after leaving school he became a miller a calling which his ancestors had followed for generations. Many years ago he removed to Sulby, and for some time he carried on business at Foxdale. For a period, too, he conducted a bakery business in Bucks-road, Douglas. Eventually he became a dealer in flour and provender, his headquarters being on the North-quay, Douglas. Concurrently he practised as an agricultural auctioneer and valuer, and as such acquired a very large connection, while he was also exceedingly successful in the other business pursuits he engaged in, eventually retiring on a comfortable competency. Mr Corran was one of the most genial of gentlemen, and he enjoyed thoroughly deserved popularity throughout the Island. The Manx-Gaelic was mother tongue; he spoke the language fluently, and he was never so happy when he found a compatriot with who he could converse in his native language A prominent member of the Manchster Unity, he took a great interest in Manx Oddfellowship, and was a Past Grand Master of the Isle of Man District. Freemasonry, too, claimed his attention. He was initiated in the Athole Lodge, and after discharging the subordinate office of his mother lodge, he became W. M, holding the position for two years in succession. Mr Corran was a Wesleyan Methodist, and attended Rose Mount Church. He was a widower and had several children, but only one of these Miss Edith Corran is now resident in the Isle of Man. The funeral took place on Thursday morning. There was service in Rose Mount Church, at which the Rev Henry Williams and the Rev T. Markwell officiated. Interment was at the Borough Cemetery, where the Rev H. Williams read the committal portion of the service The attendance at the funeral was a representative one.
Died October 25th, 1918,
The death of Mr William Augustus Stevenson, J.P. C.P. (formerly of Ballakaighen), took place at 'his residence, " Westhill," .. Castletown, on Sunday, October 20th. The deceased, who was born in Canada, had been suffering from a heart complaint for some time. The death of a relative at the front, to whom he was devoutly attached, viz., Lieut.-Colonel W. A. W. Crellin, D.S.O., greatly affected him, and he gradually sank and passed away on Sunday. The eldest son of the late Mr W. B. Stevenson, C.P., of Balladoole, he was descended from a well-known Manx family settled in the South of the Island for generations past, from whom he inherited very extensive estates in the parish of Arbory. Mr W. A. Stevenson. who was 69 years of age, was called to the Manx Bar in 1873. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1902, and succeeded his father as Captain of the Parish of Arbory in 1905, Of quiet disposition and tastes, he did not enter much into the public life of the Island. He was, however, a member for Rushen Sheading in the House of Keys from 1890-97. As a Justice of the Peace his decisions were sound, and he will be greatly missed from the Bench. He has been for several years past a member of the Appeal Licensing Court. His wife was Miss Crellin, daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Crellin, " Westhill." who survives him. The late Mr Stevenson had four brothers: Mr Fred Stevenson (in America), Mr Richard Stevenson (in Canada), Surgeon-General H. Stevenson, S.I. (of Lorne House, Castletown), and the Rev Arthur Stevenson; and three sisters: Mrs Collins (Miss Carris Stevenson), Miss B. Stevenson (of The Crook, Port St Mary), and Mrs Adams (Miss Braida Stevenson), residing in Ireland. The interment took place at Kirk Arbory on October 25th, the Ven. Archdeacon Kewley conducting the service.
Died December 28th, 1918,
Mr J. Stanley Cowen, proprietor of the Union Mills dye works and laundry, died rather suddenly at his residence, Cronkbourne-road, Douglas, on Saturday, Doe. 28th. Though for some time Mr Cowen's state of health had not been entirely satisfactory, he was able to attend actively to his business practically to the end, and was out and about last week. On Saturday morning, however, he did not feel well enough to leave the house, and growing rapidly worse he passed away in the course of the day. He was the second son of the late Mr John Cowen, who for many years carried on a dyeing establishment at Kewaigue Village, with which was associated a shop on Prospect hill, Douglas. Mr Stanley Cowen served his time with his father, and subsequently set up in business at Barrow-in-Furness. He returned to the Isle of Man several years ago and first at Kewaigue and afterwards at the Union Mills practised his calling with successful results. He was a very well-informed gentleman of genial disposition, and was much esteemed by a large body of friends. Possessed of a keen appreciation of the humorous side of things, and an excellent memory, he was a most admirable raconteur, and his really good stories were ever welcome. He leaves a widow and six children three sons and three daughters. Mrs Cowen is a daughter of the late Mr James Moore, plumber, Douglas. One of her sisters, who married Mr Mawson, a Yorkshire gentleman, is mother to Sir Douglas Mawson, the Australian scientist whose fame in connection with Antarctic exploration is world-wide. Of Mr Cowen's children, one of the sons is in America, while another is serving with the Army in France. The other members of the family are in Douglas. A goodly number of people attended the funeral on Tuesday morning. Interment ,was at the Borough Cemetery.
Died 29th May, 1918,
The death of Mr J. Quine took place at his residence, 69 Duddon-road, Askam, on Wednesday, 29th May, after nine weeks' illness. No one was better known or more highly appreciated in the town and district. Mr Quine was a native of Laxey, Isle of Man, and went to Furness over thirty years ago. He worked at Park Mines, his fellow-workmen speaking in highest terms of him. He was a tower of strength to the Primitive Methodist Church, and his brethren in the circuit expressed the greatest confidence in his Christian character by electing him circuit steward, a position he held up to the time of his death. In the Sunday-school and Band of Hope his place will be hard to fill. The deceased was an excellent singer, and was choirmaster for many years. He took his choir several of the Dalton Musical Festivals. Mr Quine was 60 years of age, and his wife predeceased him some years ago. He leaves three (one in the ministry) and two daughters, who have the sympathy of all friends from far and near in their sorrow. The funeral took on Saturday, and was largely attended. Amongst those present were many of his fellow-countrymen, including Mr Councillor Lewney, J.P. Milton ), and Capt T. Cowin (Dalton ).
Died November 24th, 1918
The death took place of Capt Robert J. Elliott (s.s. Mungret) at Yousell Hospital, Manchester, on Sunday, Nov. 24th. He was 52 years of age, and the, third son of Mrs. Elliott, 18 Hawarden-avenue, Douglas, and the late Capt E. Elliott (formerly of Mount Pleasant, Port St Mary). Some four weeks ago he was taken ill at sea, and on being admitted to hospital his case was diagnosed as typhoid fever. Unfortunately influenza supervened, and the dual malady proved, too much for a constitution already probably weakened by a severe ordeal av sea. On September 9th, 1917, while master of the s.s. Storm, Capt Elliott's ship was attacked off the south-east coast by enemy sea-planes, and sunk by bombs. On that occasion two Manx members of the crew were drowned, while Capt Elliott was picked up in an exhausted condition consequent upon long exposure in the water. Capt Elliott began his seafaring career on the s.s. Sarah Blanche, during the period his father was master of that vessel. He leaves a widow and one son, who reside at Castle Mona Avenue, Douglas. The funeral took place at the Southern Cemetery, Manchester, on Wednesday, December 4th, circumstances preventing the removal of the body for interment in his native Island.
Died January 5th, 1919,
Mr Alexander Gill, builder and contractor, of Lucerne, Little Switzerland, Douglas, died unexpectedly at his residence on Sunday, Jan. 5th. Although for some few years past Mr Gill's condition of health had been somewhat precarious, there was nothing to indicate up to the Thursday previous that the end was near. Indeed so recently as New Year's Day he was out and about, and as usual he devoted himself energetically to the transaction of business. On Thursday, however, the dread influenza laid its grip upon him, and in his case the disease made extraordinarily rapid progress. Double pneumonia, supervened with fatal result, death taking place at 8 p.m. on Sunday.
The career of Mr Alexander Gill was a remarkable one. Born in the village of Onchan some 67 years ago, such education as he received was nothing to speak of it was all comprised in a few years' attendance at the village school. But he had qualities which more than compensated for the disadvantages which attended upon his early life. He was possessed of a courage which nothing could daunt; his energy was boundless; he had a native shrewdness which ever stood him well; lie foresight was remarkable as it was comprehensive; financial ability was innate with him; and above all, industry and ambition were developed in him in high degree. He served his time as a mason, and while still a youth he proceeded to Barrow-in-Furness, where for a few years he worked at his trade as a journeyman. But he was not content with the circumscribed surroundings attendant upon such a method of gaining his livelihood. Returning to the Isle of Man over forty years ago, he kept his eyes open and bestirred himself to considerable purpose. He recognised the possibilities of Douglas as a holiday, resort, and bore himself accordingly. His first venture as a builder " on his own" consisted in the purchase of a small plot of land in Melbourne-street, on which he erected a dwelling-house mostly the work of his own hands. But he foresaw that the future of the town lay in the main one the sea front and its immediate neighbourhood. He built extensively in Howard-street and on the Loch Promenade. The building boom of 1888 following upon the great season of 1887 gave him his great chance, and he, was prompt to take advantage of it. He put up the large block of handsome boarding-houses known as Peveril Buildings, and simultaneously erected much property in other parts of the town. As a member of the Manx syndicate formed nearly thirty years ago, he acquired as interest in the Castle Mona Estate and built many houses on the Central Promenade and the vicinity. Hie operations grew constantly, and included the erection of business property in Christian road, Church-road, Duke-street, and King street. The while he thus speculated, pessimists foretold disaster for him, but in all cases he was justified by the results. Invariably his property let well the fact that he was ever content with a reasonable return upon outlay conduced to this satisfactory outcome. While still is early manhood he might, had he so elected, have retired upon a handsome competency, but like most energetic men he was never so happy as when in full business swing. And so he went on building, and indeed he remained is harness to the very end. On his own behalf he built almost countless boarding-houses in Palace-road, Palace-terrace, and elsewhere on the Promenades or close by. Among these were "The Hydro," "The Imperial," and " The Empress" on the sea front all of them caravanseraries palatial of character. His shrewdness displayed itself in his readiness to profit from his observation. For many years he made it a practice to spend his holidays in fashion which not only brought relaxation: to him, but enabled him to appreciate and emulate the work done in other parts of the world with respect to provision for holiday-making. In this wise he visited all the important resorts in the United Kingdom and on the Continent of Europe, and toured the United States extensively. Invariably his observation gave him good ideas, and these he adapted and frequently improved upon in connection with his building operations in Douglas. The result is to be seen in the convenience and luxury which mark many of the houses built by him during the last twenty years or so. As his operations extended his outlook broadened, and it is not too much to say that had he lived but a few years more he would have made Douglas unrivalled so far as the comfort and convenience, and enjoyment of pleasure-seekers are eoneerned. When the laying-out of Howstrake Estate for building purposes took place, Mr Gall was quick to grasp the great advantages and amenities which Onchan afforded owing to the marching of the village district with Douglas. He erected imposing blocks of houses in Royal Avenue, Belgravia-terrace, and upon other fine sites, and as in the use of his Douglas ventures, these proved remunerative speculations. He was in fact by far the largest owner of house-property in the Isle of Man, and his rent roll must have been enormous. It goes without saying that he was hardly hit by the slump caused by the war; but his splendid capacity for business and organisation enabled him to weather the storm, and with his wonderful optimism he was satisfied that a revival in the holiday industry was due next season. Throughout the depression it was his constant endeavour to so "nurse" his tenants as to enable them to take immediate and fall advantage of a return of good times. He met them most liberally in the matter of rents in truth he had the well-deserved reputation of ever being a considerate landlord. In the early 'eighties Mr Gill, struck with the popularity of the Loch promenade, had in mind the erection of modern boarding-houses on the Harris promenade. Accordingly he submitted to the Douglas Town Commissioners of the day an offer £14,000 to the best of our recollection for the land. The offer, though not immediately turned down, was eventually rejected, and it is said that Commissioners were influenced in that decision by fear of offending the late Mr Henry B. Noble, the amenities of whom beautiful residential estate, Villa Marina, would have been much prejudiced by the intervention of huge buildings between the grounds and the sea. The Commissioners had in view the possibility of Mr Noble handing over Villa Marina to the town in course of time, and though the possibility did not materialise the Town Board had to buy the estate in the end from Mr Noble's trustees ,it is very probable that had Mr Gill's offer been entertained favourably, the charitable tenour of Mr Noble's testamentary dispositions might have suffered considerable modification. In addition to the property which Mr Gill built on his own account, he had charge of the building of The Palace, the Opera House, and The Coliseum on the Castle Mona Estate, the annexe at Derby Castle, and the Gaiety .Theatre all of them handsome and admirably constructed edifices, and ornaments to Douglas. Though not an architect by calling, he had a perfect genius for making the most of building land, and the skill he displayed in getting the utmost out of property contributed largely to his success. He was a firm believer in the provision of wholesome entertainment for the holiday crowds, and in this connection he bore a prominent part in the conduct of such glorious pleasure houses as The Palace, Derby Castle, and the Gaiety Theatre. He was one of the original directors of the Palace Ltd., and upon the amalgamation of The Palace, the Pavilion, Derby Castle and Falcon Cliff, he was appointed to the directorate of The Palace and Derby Castle Ltd., the Company which twenty years ago acquired the combination of concerns, and which has ever since carried them on so successfully. He retained his seat on the board throughout, and for several years he held the position of deputy-chairman. For a term he occupied a seat on the Douglas Town Council as one of the members for Athol Ward, and for many years he was a member of the Onchan Village Commissioners. Of the latter board he was chairman for two terms. From its inception, he was chairman of the Douglas and Onchan Property-Owners' Association, and took a great interest in the affairs of that intitution.
Twice he sought election to the House of Keys once for Douglas and once for Middle Sheading but on both occasions he was unsuccessful, though on each he put up a remarkably good fight against powerful interests. Mr Gill had his limitations, but generally he afforded a fine illustration of the successful results which accrue from hard work, native intelligence, and constant pluck. He was indeed a most admirable specimen of the self-made man. His wife predeceased him a few years ago; but he is survived by one son and three daughters. The son, Mr Charles Gill, became associated with his father some years ago in building enterprise. The daughters are all married one to Mr J. O. Cain, builder, Onchan ; another to Mr Robert Curphey, fish buyer, Peel; and the other to Mr A. McAvoy, fish buyer, Douglas. It is characteristic of Mr Alexander Gill that he took steps to so order his affairs as to ensure the smooth working of his extensive estate after death. With this object in view, he arranged that the attendant business should be conducted on the same lines as hitherto, and that the engagements he had entered into should be scrupulously carried out. Accordingly his testamentary dispositions provide for the estate being vested in three trustees. Mr Charles Gill, this only son, is appointed managing trustee, and joined in the trust are Mr Robert Curphey, of Peel (son-in-law), and Mr A. E. Crewe, secretary and manager of the Douglas Steam Saw Mill and Timber Co., Ltd.
The funeral of the late Mr Alexander Gill took place on Thursday, and notwithstanding the inclemency of the weather, it was largely attended, among those present being representatives of all classes of the community. Leaving Lucerne, the deceased gentleman's residence, the cortege which included a long string of carriages and a. host of people on foot, proceeded to St. Thomas's Church. Long before arrival, the nave of the church was we filled with people, and pending the commencement of the solemn ceremony, organist (Mr F. C. Poulter) played appropriate music, including the beautiful 'Rest in the Lord." The Rev R. B. Jolly Vicar of St. Thomas's, conducted the service in impressive fashion, the congregation joining in the Psalm and responses. Ere the coffin was taken out of the church the hymn " Jesu, Lover of my Soul" was feelingly sung, and the congregation remained standing the while Mr Poulter played the Dead March in " Saul." the conclusion of the church portion of the service, the cortege was re-formed a proceeded to Douglas Borough Cemetery where the committal prayers were recited by the Rev R. B. Jolly, and the coffin covered with floral tributes from members of the family, was placed in the family vault. The chief mourners were Charles rill (son), Mrs J. O. Cain, R. Curphey and Mrs A. McEvoy (daughters), Mr R. Curphey and Mr A. McEvoy (sons-in-law), Mrs Chas. Gill (daughter-in-law), and the following, grandchildren: Charlie Gill, Ollie Caine, and Harry Gill. Other mourners were: Mr Evan Gill (brother), Mr Harry Gill (brother), Mr John Gill (nephew), and Mr Charlie Gill (nephew). Among the general public present were members of the Insular Legislature, the Douglas Town Council, the Onchan Village Commissioners, the Douglas and Onchan Property-Owners' Association, representatives of the Palace and Derby Castle Company, and of several other public or quasi-public bodies. A.considerable gathering of Mr Gill's workmen also attended, as did most of his numerous tenants. Large numbers of wreaths were sent from friends.