[From Manx Quarterly #18, 1917]
Died October 13th,, 1916.
It is with profound sorrow that we record death of Mr Flaxney Stowell (painter and decorator), which took place with tragic suddenness at his residence, The Parade; Castletown. Friday evening, October 13th, he was taken seriously ill on the previous Wednesday and grew rapidly worse. On Friday Dr, Hamilton. of Douglas, was called in for consultation with Dr. Chambers, but medical skill as of no avail, and he passed away during the evening. He was seventy years of age. Mr Stowell was the eldest son of the late Mr Edward Quayle Stowell, and a nephew of the late Mr Flaxney Stowell, who was a very prominent figure in Manx life. The late Mr Stowell was one of the best known men in the South of t'he Island,, and his kindliness up-rightness and integrity won for him the esteem of everyone. All his life he was an ardent supporter of the Primitive Methodist-Connexion. He was a local preacher for a period extending over forty-eight years. His discourses were practical and uplifting, and his services were much sought after and most acceptable. At the time of his death his name headed the list of preachers in the Castletown P.M. circuit. It is said that during all the years he was engaged as a lay preacher he never missed an appointment. and he continued in the work until the end came. As a Classleader he was helpful to many ; and he was a trustee and steward of the Castletown Primitive Church. He was in great demand at tea meetings., and his racy and humorous addresses were a feature of these gatherings. In earlier life Mr Stowell was a tenor soloist of some repute. and was for a considerable time conductor of the church choir ; and also a Sunday-school teacher for many years. The deceased gentleman was co-trustee with Mr W. H. Kermode of a legacy left by his uncle (the late Mr Flaxney Stowell for the advancement of the Primitive and Wesleyan Bands of Hope in Castletown. Quiet and unassuming in character, he could never be prevailed upon to accept a position on any public board, but he was nevertheless keenly interested in all that made for the betterment of the social conditions of his fellow-men. He was a staunch supporter of Manx Constitutional Reform and of Old Age Pensions. As a temperance advocate he was very enthusiastic. In the palmy days of Good Templary in the Island. Mr Stowell was a prominent office-bearer, and he was actively interested in the work of the United Band of Hope. Temperance work among the young had a special claim upon his sympathies. He was one of the oldest members of the Mona Daniel Tent of Rechabites. and a representative for Castletown district on the Manx Temperance Federation. Mr Stowell succeeded his father in the business of painter and decorator in the town. He was an exceptionally brilliant decorator, and evidence of his masterly handling of the brush is to be witnessed in many of the public and religious holdings in the South of the island. He was also an artist of great merit, and a number of his paintings, which are wonderful studies in colour and composition, have had a place in some of the principal exhibitions on the mainland. His wife, who survives him, was Miss Mylrea, daughter of the late Mr Philip Mylrea (schoolmaster), of St Marks. There are four sons and two daughters. Of his sons, three are serving their countryFlaxney, in Army Ordnance Corps, in Egypt, and who in pre-war days was in business with his father ; Richard L. who holds the rank of Sub-lieutenant in the R.N.R. (formerly in the Mercantile Marine) and Mylrea Q. in the Army Ordnance Corps., in France, and who was prior to joining the forces a teacher in Hanover-street School. Douglas. The youngest son., Leighton. is studying for the teaching profession. The elder daughter is the wife of the Rev H. Ward Matthews, of Acle,. Norfolk formerly minister in Castletown P.M. circuit; and the youngest daughter. Miss Agnes Stowell, is at home
The funeral took place on Tuesday after-noon amid every manifestation of sorrow. The day was very wet, but notwithstanding this a very large concourse of sympathisers assembled to pay their last respect to the departed. At deceased's late residence the Rev H. Ward Matthews gave out the hymn. "Rock of Ages." which was feelingly sung and en route to the Primirtive Methodist Church, the hymn was "O God, our help in ages past." As the coffin was being horse up the aisle of the Primitive Church, Ure organist (Mr W. H. Cubbon) played Mendellsohn's "O rest in the Lord," The final portion of the Burial Service was impressively real and appropriate prayer offered by the Rev H.W. Matthews. The hymns, "Give me the wings of faith" and "For all the Saints," were sung ; and the organist touchingly rendered the "Dead March" (from "Saul "). another hymn, "Jesus Lover of my Soul." was sung as the cortege wended its way along Malew-street. The interment, was at Malew Churchyard; where the last rites were conducted by Mr Matthews, at the conclusion of which the hymn "When the day of toil is done" was sung.
The principal mourners were :- Miss Stowell (daughter), Mr Leighton Stowell (son), Rev H. Ward Matthews (son-in-law). Mr John Stowell (cousin), Mr James Thomson (cousin). Mr Edward Stowell (nephew), Mr and Mrs W J. Dawson (Douglas), Mr Councillor John Kelly (Douglas), and Mr D. M. Corlett c.Douglas).-The bearers were Messrs David Bridson, J. Thomson, J. Comish and J. Woods.
Wreaths were sent by ihe following Family ; Mr and Mrs E. Cubbon ; Mr and Mrs E. Roberts ; Lieut.-Colonel an-l Mrs Moors. Great Meadow ; Miss Maddrell. Miss McCann and Miss Haines ; Miss Mona Kewley ; Mr R. W. Holmes ; Miss Queenie Preston ; Mrs S. Cannell ; Some Old Scholars ; Miss Stevanson. West Hill ; Trustees of Castletown Primitive Methodist Church ; Members of the Tuesday night Class; Mr and Mrs R. Shimmin ; Nellie. Isa., and Tommy ; Mr and Mrs W. Corrin, Mrs Caley and Annie ; Mrs Moore-Lane ; Mists Hilda Lawson ; Queen-street Mission ; Mr J. Comish and family ; Mrs C. Thomson and George. ; Mrs R. K. Kermnde ; Mr and Mrs R. Cubbon and family ; Mr John Stowell ; Mrs Procter-Gregg ; Mrs Haanay ; Mr James Thomson ; Mr David Bridson ; Mr William Quayle ; Capt and Mrs. Walter Cowley ; and Mr and Mrs J. W. Corrin.
The memorial service of the late Mr Storwell was held on Sunday evening, Oct. 22nd, in Castletown Primitive Methodist Church, and was conducted by Rev H. W. Matthews. There was a large congregation. The sermon was based on the words, " Well done, good and faithful servant ; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord" (Matt. xxv. 23).
Died February 16th, 1917,
Mrs Sarah J. Cowin, formerly of Clarendon House, Loch Promenade, a much respected resident of Douglas, passed away on Friday, Feb. 16th, while staying with her daughter (Mrs Love) in St. Helens. Born in Kirk Maughold over seventy years ago, Mrs Cowin was the last surviving daughter of the late Mr R. Corteen, of Ballasherlogue. She married Mr Daniel Cowin, a prominent builder in Douglas, who in the latter half of the last century erected much residential and business property in the town. Mr Cowin, who was one of the pioneers of modern Douglas, died some forty years ago. Mrs Cowin was herself a lady of excellent business capacity, and she brought her ability in this respect to bear upon her conduct of the Clarendon boarding establishment-one of the most successful and popular of Douglas company houses. A prominent Wesleyan Methodist, she took a great interest in Victoria-street and Rose Mount Churches, and was much esteemed by her fellow-members of the congregations. Of fine physique and wonderful vitality Mrs Cowin was up to quite recently a lady of active habits, but her health failing, she was unable of late to get out and about. She leaves several children.-Miss Cowin, Mrs Turner (Kendal), Miss A. Cowin, Mrs Love (St. Helens), Mr Henry Cowin (secretary to Asylums and Assessment Boards), Mr Thomas Cowin, and Dr D. Cowin. There was a large attendance at the funeral, which took place on Tuesday, from the residence of Mr Henry Cowin. The mourners were: Mr Henry Cowin (son), Miss Cowin, Mrs Turner, Miss Annie Cowin (daughters), AIr Ernest Love (son-in-law), Mr Edgar Cowin (grandson), Mr T. W. Kelly, Mr J. A. Gelling, Mr W. Caley, Mr R. Corteen, Mr- W. C. Gelling, Mr R. D. Gelling, Mr A. Robertson, Mr H. Callow, and Mr Fred. Callow. Amongst those who assembled to pay their last tribute of respect to the deceased lady were Mr J. T. Cowell (Receiver-General), Alderman J. Craine, Alderman Robt. Corlett, Mr James Kewley, Councillor Flinn, Messrs Edward Clague, James Gell (grocer), T. Craine, R. G. Fargher, S. K. Broadbent, Wm. Kelly, (grocer), ' D. Corrin, and others. Interment was at Onchan Churchyard. The Rev Henry Williams, superintendent minister of the Douglas Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, conducted the funeral service,
Died September 24th 1916.
Mr James Costain (builder), of " Droghad-fayle," Athol-Park, Port Erin, pasted away on September 24th, at the age of 63 years'. He had been in indifferent health for about twelve months; but it was only recently that his' condition was seen to be critical. The deceased gentleman was very closely identified with the growth of Port Erin as a holiday resort. Along with his father (the late Mr James Costain, of Kentraugh) and afterwards with his 'brother (Mr T. Costain, C.T. C.), and later with his sons, he carried on business as a builder all over the south of the land, but largely in Port Erin, in which town he resided for about thirty years. He was engaged in the building of the first lodging-house in Port Erin-"Castle Mona," on the road to Bradda. At that time Port Erin was an insignificant little fishing creek, but since then it has grown vastly, and if only from the standpoint of the actual setting together of bricks and mortar, the Messrs Costain have borne no small share in its development. Among other well-known buildings in the erection of which Mr Costain pursued his calling were Port Erin Church, Port St Mary Boys'' School, the " Belle Vue" the new Falcon's Nest Hotel, the altered Eagle Hotel, Mr T. H. Moore's mansion at Billown; and others, besides numbers of boarding-houses. Mr Costain was of a quiet, peacable disposition, and did not take an active part in public life, though he was a member of the Port Erin Village Commissioners, and meeting clerk to that body, during its first term of existence. He was a staunch supporter of the Primitive Methodist cause in Port Erin, and at the time of his death held the offices of society steward and secretary to the trustees. He is survived by his widow (a daughter of the late Mr Richard Quayle, of Kentraugh).; eight sons and two daughters. Three of his sons are now serving with the forces-Edward (who was recently wounded). Eden,, and Jack -The funeral took place at Rushen Church yard on September 27th, and was largely attended.
Died September 26th, 1916,
Word was received on September 25th that Mr Louis Hudson, of Shore-rows. Port Erin, had died at a nursing home in Southport, where he went eight weeks ago to undergo an operation. The deceased gentleman, who was 49 years old, had been in failing health for some time, but recent reports as to his condition had been quite encouraging, and the news of his death came as a shock. Mr Hudson was the youngest son of the late Mr John Hudson (weaver), of Ballafesson, and, with the exceptions of periods passed in employment across the water, had spent his adult life in burin as a joiner and builder in Port Brfin. A years' ago he served a term of office upon t Post Erin Village Commissioners. He was formerly interested in the Port Erin Primitive Methodist Church. and was a trustee of building, but latterly he had worshipped at St Catherine's Church. He leaves a widow sister of Mr Wilfred W. Kelly, of Port but no children. The funeral took phace Thursday. September 28th, and was 1 attended.
Died November, 1916.
The death is announced as having taken place in Worcestershire, in November, of Mr Wm. Todhunter, formerly of Woodside, Douglas. In the year 1862, the late Mr Todhunter, in conjunction with his brother-in-law, the late Mr Andrew Elliot, took over the extensive ironmongery business in Douglas which had been for many years conducted by the late Mr Gelling in Gelling's Court, Market Place, Douglas. Mr Todhunter, who was then 21 years old, hailed from the Whitehaven district, where his father was engaged in large building operations. The firm of Todhunter and Elliot always occupied a prominent position in the commercial life of the Isle of Man, and the business is still carried on in Duke-street by a private company (Todhunter and Elliot, Ltd.) under the control of Mr R. E. F. Quilliam as managing director. Mr Todhunter retired from the firm in 1891. Mr Todhunter was one of the founders of the Manx Northern Railway Company, and as a director of the company he conducted the negotiations which resulted in the taking over of the company's concern by the Isle of Man Railway Co. He was also chairman of the board of directors of the now defunct Snaefell Mining Company, and was a director of the Langness Mining Company. Although a man of rather re-tiring disposition, Mr Todhunter took considerable interest in Douglas affairs. For some years he was a member of the Douglas School Board, and was for a term chairman of that body. A member of Finch Hill Congregational Church, he was for very many years a deacon of the church and superintendent of the Sunday-school associated with the church. lie was an unusually well-read and well-informed man, who worked with heart and soul for any cause he associated himself with. Particularly was this the case with regard to his connection as hon. treasurer with the Isle of Man Orphan Homes. He ungrudgingly gave of his time and ability to this institution, and financially was among its most liberal supporters. Mr Todhunter, who was a widower, leaves a son, Mr Hugh Todhunter, and a daughter, who is the wife of Mr Shann, manager in Scotland for the great Nobel Explosive Company. Mr Todhunter was made a J. P. in 1904.
Died October 16th, 1916.
Copt. Andrew Gibson, an old and trusted master mariner, who was for many years in the service of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, died at his resi-dence in Westminster-terrace, Douglas, on Monday, Oct. 16th, after a somewhat prolonged and painful illness. In 1874, Capt. Gibson left the service of the now defunct Guion Line of Atlantic passenger steamers and entered the employ of the Isle of Man Company, in which he remained up to ten years ago, until failing health induced his retirement. During his service with the famous Manx concern, he commanded several steamers, and eventually became commodore of the fleet. His last command was that of the Empress Queen. His connection with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company was not the only link he had with the Island, as he was a son of a former steward of Col. Murray, of Mount Murray, Capt. Gibson was the. last survivor of a famous quartette of Scottish master mariners who had charge of vessels of the Steam Packet Company's fleet--the late Capt. Alexander McQueen, the late Capt. Robert Gibson, the late Capt. John Hill, and the late Capt. Andrew Gibson. A very skilful and careful seaman, Capt. Andrew Gibson had the complete confidence and respect of his employer, and the general public. His was a most pleasant personality, he being ever genial of manner, while he was always considerate of his subordinates. Caps. Gibson, who had attained to the ripe old age of 81, was a widower. He leaves five sons and three daughters to mourn his loss. Mr J. M. Gibson, of Gelling's Foundry, is the only son resident on the Island.
Died December 27th, 1916.
The death took place on Wednesday, Dec. 7th. of Mr Walter Bawden Kennaugh, of Oriana, Selborne road, Douglas. Mr Kennaugh was born at Foxdale :58 years ago, he being the third son of the late :Mr John Kennaugh, of Ballabenna House, Lower Foxdale. After completing his school education he served his time as an engineer in the engine shop attached to the Foxdale mines, and subsequently proceeded to Liverpool, where he worked at his craft for a period. He then entered the employ of the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, and went to sea, as, an engineer. After putting in the requisite sea service, he sat for and obtained his certificate as second engineer. subsequently gaining his " ticket" as chief engineer. He rose rapidly in the P. S. N. Co.'s service, and eventually he became chief engineer on the remarkably fine passenger liners which sail between Liverpool and various ports on the East and West Coasts of South America. When he retired nearly three years ago, he had been for a considerable time senior chief in the company's employ. Some twenty-seven years ago he had a very thrilling experience while sailing on the Cotopaxi. This steamer was proceeding through the Straits of Magellan, which divide Patagonia, from Tierra del Fuego, when she collided with another vessel. For a considerable time there was extreme danger of both vessels coming to serious grief, but eventually they parted from each other and got away in somewhat damaged condition. As a matter of precaution, the master of the Cotopaxi had cleared his boats ready for lowering, and that he adopted this course Prevented enormous loss of life, for soon after the steamer resumed on her course through the Straits. she struck a. sunken rock which up to then was uncharted. The Boats being ready for lowering, passengers and crew were transferred into them. and they were lowered and cleared of the rapidly sinking Cotopaxi within a. very few minutes. Just after the boats got away the ill-fated steamer disappeared beneath the water. So hurried was the evacuation of the Cotopaxi, that passengers, officers, and crew had no time to secure clothes other than those they were wearing at the time the vessel struck. They were landed from the boats on the inhospitable coast. of Patagonia, and as the weather was bitterly cold, they suffered great privations. Very shortly after landing, a party of the savage inhabitants of that region made their appearance and behaved in fashion which indicated hostile intentions. The bearing of the natives became so threatening that the stranded people thought it advisable to take to the boats again. This they did, and after an exhausting experience they landed at a cove further along the coast. Very little food had been placed in the boats----time did not admit of much being done in this direction. The unfortunate party practically existed on such shell-fish as the could gather from the creek, and of this articles of food there was fortunately an abundance. Happily, too, a good water supply was discovered in the immediate neighbourhood. For several days great hardships were endured, but in the end a German steamer which was voyaging through the Straits observed their plight and rescued them. The existence of the sunken rock was reported to the Admiralty and it was duly charted, receiving the name of " The Cotopaxi Rock." Survey disclosed that had the Cotonaxi been an liner earlier or, an hour later in clearing from the collision, she would have avoided striking the melt. It was dead low water when she struck. and it was only at this state of the tide that a vessel of the Cotopaxi's draught would have came in contact with the pinnacle of the cone-shaped reef;. Mr Kennaugh, having amassed a competancy. retired nearly three years ago and came to reside with his eldest son. Mr H. Q. Kennaugh (Todhunter and Elliot. Ltd.) in Douglas,. At the time of retirement his health however, had become impaired. He suffered from valvular disease of the heart, which prevented him from engaging in any active pursuits. Up to the autumn he was able to get out and about, but some three months ago his condition became worse, and under the orders of his medical adviser he for the most part kept to the house. About two months ago complications set in, and he gradually sank though death came rather unexpectedly. He was a very genial and well-informed gentleman, and short as was his residence in Douglas, he made many friends in the town. Mr Kennaugh, who was a widower, leaves three sons-Mr H. Q. Kennaugh, of Douglas; Mr William C. Kennaugh, engineer, of Liverpool; and Mr Walter Kennaugh, who is now serving with the Australian forces in Egypt.
Died November 18th, 1916.
Mr William Alma Sale. one of the finest of the many fine Manx vocalists, passed away at the Christie Hospital, Manchester, on Nov. 18th. Ill-health had attended upon Mr Sale for some months, but his end came somewhat suddenly. The son of a man-o'-warsman who had served in the sea operations connected with the Crimean War, Mr Sale was born in the the of Man 53 years ago. He was brought by his mother in Douglas, and was educated in that town. Upon leaving school, he was apprenticed to, Mr Thomas Fenelon, watchmaker, but upon completing his apprenticeship he abandoned his trade in favour of the musical profession. At an early age he developed a talent for and passionate love of the science of sweet sounds, and he was encouraged and tutored in his inclination by the late Mr Thomas Brookbank. of Douglas, who was his step-father. About 37 years ago, Mr Brookbank was bandmaster of the Isle of Man Volunteer Band, and while he was still a youth, Mr Sale joined the band as a trombone player. Some years later he, though but in his teens, was appointed bandmaster of the corps, and under his control the band developed into a very excellent combination of instrumentalists. Mr Sale, too, before be attained his majority, was conductor of the Excelsior Glee Club, a very talented male voice choir which was want to provide most admirable concert, in Douglas and the other towns of the Island. As a solo vocalist, Mr Sale made a big reputation in the Island at an early age-an age when many boys have not left school. He was the possessor of a bass voice of almost perfect purity and fine resonance, his lower register especially being a rich treat. He became a professional vocalist soon after attaining his majority, and quickly made himself a great favourite in Manchester and North of England musical circles. At one time he was a prominent member of the Moore and Burgess Minstrels in the capacity of principal bass soloist, and with this famous troupe travelled well over England. Occasionally he renewed his acquaintance with Manx audience,, being always sure of a great reception from his follow-countrymen. His circle of acquaintance on and off the Island was an enormous one, and being of genial disposition and full of humour, he was held in high esteem by all who knew him. Mr Sale was a man of fine physique and great bodily strength. In his Youth he found time to engage in many athletic pursuits, and in particular he was an oarsman of splendid parts. Of late years he frequently spent his holidays in the Island. and on these occasions he stayed with his only brother, Mr T. A. Sale. draper. Castletown. The funeral took place on Tuesday, interment being at Manchester Cemetery.