[From Manx Quarterly #17 - Oct 1916]
Died December 19th, 1915.
In his day there was no better-known and no better-liked man in Douglas than Mr Thomas Bawden, who from his youth to almost the day of his death was prominent and respected in the business and social circles of the town. He had outlived most of his contemporaries, but his death, which took place on Sunday Dec 19th, is mourned sincerely by many people. Mr Bawden, up to four or five years ago, was one of the best-preserved men of his years to be seen anywhere. In body and mind he maintained the vigour usually associated with half his years. Well-groomed and almost dapper in appearance, no person would have taken him for more than fifty, and few men of fifty have the alertness and vivacity which he maintained until well beyond the allotted span of three-score years and ten. Mr Bawden was Cornish of blood and Manx of birth and breeding. His father, the late Captain Edward Bawden who hailed from the neighbourhood of Penzance, came to the Isle of Man some ninety years back to superintend the Isle of Man Mining Company's then prosperous and still fondly-remembered lead mines at Foxdale. Capt. Edward Bawden successfully managed the concern for many years. and died at an advanced age, leaving a number of children, all of whom were born in the Isle of Man. One of the sons yet survives in the person of Capt. John Bawden, of Foxdale. While in his twentieth year. Mr Thomas Bawden commenced business as a grocer in the the Market-place, Douglas; but he eventually deserted the counter for the road. He secured several important appointments as representative of English commercial houses of high repute, and these he held until the winter of his life overtook him. Among the firms which he at one time or other represented were Messrs Salt of Burton-on-Trent, brewers; Messrs Teacher and Son, distillers and blenders; Messrs Peak, tea merchants; Messrs Gossage, soap manufacturers; Messrs J. and J. Coleman, mustard manufacturers; Messrs Bryant and May, match manufacturors ; Messrs Cantrell and Cochrane, aerated water manufacturers; and several others. He also held insurance agencies, and was for a, number of years secretary of the Granville and Athol Hotels Co., Ltd. This latter position he filled during the period of the company's great prosperity-in the days when dividends varying from six to eleven per cent. were returned to the shareholders. In business matters Mr Bawden was ever courteous and of high probity, and he commanded both the respect and esteem of his customers, who included the principal traders of the Isle of Man. A most excellent sportsman, Mr Bawden in his day took a leading part in the promotion of coursing meetings on Douglas Head. He owned several speedy and clever greyhounds, and by their means captured many valuable stakes. In his youth and middle-age, too, he was prominent in connection with the promotion of regattas in Douglas Bay, what time Douglas had a big name for regattas of high standing in the yachting and rowing worlds. He was also one of the originators of athletic sports in the Isle of Man, and he likewise took a considerable interest in the horse racing meetings which were held at the Strong Racecourse in the early 'seventies, his principal associates in this enterprise being the late High-Bailiff Harris; the late Alfred Walter Adams. Clerk of the Rolls: and the late Richard Sherwood. Second Deemster. At one time Mr Bawden was decidedly the finest amateur billiard player in the Isle of Man, and up to less than half a dozen years ago he handled the cue skilfully. Likewise he was an angler of renown in the 'sixties, his knowledge of the Manx streams being wide and complete. The form of sport for which he maintained a particular fondness to the very end, and in which he actively participated up to two or three summers ago, was the good old English game of bowls, in which his skill was exquisite. While in his prime, and for long after, he was one of the most energetic and most constant of the members of the Douglas Bowling Club, and during his hours of leisure he was ever ready to engage in a game. Mr Bawden rendered yeoman service to the Royal National Lifeboat Association for a generation. On the resignation in 1873 by the late High-Bailiff Harris of the honorary secretaryship and treasurership of the Douglas Branch of the Institution, he was elected to fill the vacant offices. From 1873 to 1907 he gave of his best to the institution, and his energy, zeal, and capacity for organisation were mainly responsible for the immense strides which the branch made in prosperity and usefulness during the intervening period. When he took office the finances of the branch were not very strong. but under his control and careful nurture they so developed that when he resigned in the last-mentioned yeas they were in a superb condition-so superb that Douglas was regarded by the parent institution as a model branch. Some years before his resignation the Institution recognised his magnificent services by presenting him with a handsome binocular marine glass and with an address an vellum. While still a very young man, Mr Bawden joined the Masonic order, and quickly rose to distinction in the craft. He was W.M. of a lodge, No. 123, under the Irish Constitution, which met in rooms in Fort-street in the early 'sixties, and when the Athole Lodge was established in Douglas in 1864 he was among the original officers, and a few years later became Master. In truth, there was no more conspicuous figure in Douglas social life of the mid-Victorian period than Mr Thomas Bawden, and this notwithstanding his almost complete abstention from any active past in Manx national or local politics. A few weeks ago Mr Bawden went to England for the purpose of paying visits to one of his married daughters' (Mrs Flint), who resides in Lancashire, and his elder son, Mr Stanley K. Bawden, who is editor of the " Kentish Mercury," Greenwich, London, S.E. While staying with his son, Mr Bawden was taken seriously ill, but he insisted on returning home. He arrived in Douglas on Monday of last week, and his condition was such that he had to take to his bed. On Saturday afternoon his illness took a more serious turn. and he sank rapidly, the end coming at three o'clock on Sunday morning. He was 77 years old. Mr Bawden was twice married; his first wife was Miss Elizabeth Kay, daughter of the late Mr John Kay, painter and decorator, Douglas, and a cousin of Mr Philip Christian. There are three children of this marriage, Messrs Stanley K. Bawden (Greenwich), Arthur Bawden (Douglas), and Mrs Louisa Ogan, who for some years past has resided in South Africa, her husband being engaged in business in the Transvaal. His second wife, who survives him, was Miss Louise Agatha Riley, daughter of Mr John Riley, of Bolton; there are two daughters of this marriage, once of whom is married.
The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon, interment being in St. George's Churchyard, Douglas. Messrs S. K. Bawden and A. W. Bawden (sons), and Mr Cecil Bawden (nephew), were, the principal mourners. Mr Fred Bawden, of the 9th Battalion Welsh Regiment, who is now in Millbank Hospital suffering from wounds and shell shock sustained while on active service, had intended crossing to the Island for the purpose of attending his uncle's funeral, but the doctors did not consider that his condition warranted him undertaking the journey. Among others present were Messrs J. S. Evarard, W. J. Fell, D. Evarard, G. Barron, and H. B. C. Callow (deputation from the committee of the Douglas Branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution), P. Christian, J.P., H. Kay, T. Wetherill, M. M. Bridson, . Murphy, D. Corrin, A. E. Rothwell, Stott, H. Brearley, and T. H. Handles. service for the Burial of the Dead read by the Rev Canon R. D. Kermode. Vicar of St. George's, assisted by Rev F. Rawcliffe, senior curate. As coffin was borne into the church, the organist (Mr G. J. Burtonwood) played Chopin's March Funebre, and as it was being carried from the church to the graveside, Mr Burtonwood rendered the Dead March in " Saul " (Handel). Very many floral offerings were sent, including a beautifully designed anchor, skilfully constructed in flowers, from the Douglas Branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
Died December 16th, 1915.
The death occurred with tragic suddeness, on Thursday, December 16th, of Mr John Groome. Ths deceased gentleman was engaged in unloading firewood from a small cart at the rear of his residence, 3 Brisbane-street, Douglas, and while so occupied he was observed to fall to the ground. Attention was immediately at hand, and Mr Groome was brought into the house, but before medical aid could be summoned he had passed into Great Beyond. The cause of death was heart failure. As Mr Groome had previously been medically attended for heart trouble, no inquest was necessary. He was 65 years of age. The late Mr Groome was one of the most prominent business men in the town, and some few years ago he controlled a highly successful boot and shoe emporium in Duke-street-the establishhnent being carried on under his name. On giving up this position he joined the staff of Messrs Bostock, Duke street. and in his death the latter firm have lost a most valuable and trusted employee. Courteous and considerate, Mr Groome was an ideal business man. whilst his knowledge of his particular trade was unrivalled. Though his name was a household word in the country districts of the Island, it is probable that his prowess as a pedestrian assisted to win him considerable fame. He was undoubtedly the best walker for his years in the town. On the shop half-holiday, and also on Sundays, it was his wont to take long rambles into the country, and his knowledge of localities and bye-roads was profound. Fifteen or twenty miles was his favourite tramp, but during the summer months he travelled further afield, and a walk of thirty miles, from Douglas to Port Erin and back, he performed with the greatest ease. Mr Groome never lacked companions on his perambulations, his general knowledge of places of interest and incidents connected therewith being always of a most engrossing character. He also took part in the famous " Parish" walk organised in Douglas in May, 1913, and succeeded in covering 70 miles of the tedious journey when an attack of illness overtook him at Laxey and necessitated him giving up the effort, his time up to that point being very creditable-an excellent performance for a man of 62 years. Though of a quiet and retiring disposition, Mr Groome was a man of parts, possessing a rich vein of humour; and many and varied were the stories of the " good old days " which, with some persuasion, he was in the habit of regaling his friends with. Cheerful and modest to a degree. his death will be sincerely regretted by a lairge circle of friends. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon. interment being at the Borough Cemetery. The officiating clergyman was the Rev C. A. Cannan, B. A. Numerous floral tributes testified to the high public esteem in which the deceased was held.
(from KWC Centenary)
Died October 24th, 1915,
With the death of Mr Victor Philippe Gaspard Pleignier, at the ripe age of 85, the Island loses one of its ablest inhabitants and most picturesque figures. Born and educated in Paris, he went through the stormy times of revolution, and was behind the barricades in 1848.
At another time he had, as he was fond of telling, looked on the face of the great Napoleon, having succeeded as a boy in evading the Paris police, when they were removing the body from one resting place to another.
Mr Pleignier came to England at about the age of 18, and spent some time in London, where he was well-known at the Savage Club, being introduced by Lionel Brough. and was a friend of Bancroft, J. Fernandez, and Strauss, "the old Bohemia"," etc.
Having taught in various schools, he settled as a language teacher in Douglas, and in 1860 began his connection with King William's College, which lasted for 45 years. Besides being a brilliant linguist, he was an inspiring teacher of English literature, of which he possessed an extraordinary knowledge, and was one of the pioneers in the starting of an Army Class the first in any school in the British Isles.
He succeeded Van Lawn, the author of the History of French Literature, and in conjunction with him Mr Pleignier produced a French Grammar. He was an intimate friend also of Tom Brown.
Mr Pleignier had at different times several boarding-houses, and finally built that which is at present the Junior House. In this he first took elder boys, particularly foreign boys, having amongst them many Greeks; but, under Mr Walters it was converted to its present purpose. Mr Pleignier retained the mastership until he retired.
His knowledge of languages was extra-ordinary, apart from the fact that he was an expert map drawer, and had at one time thought of taking up drawing as a profession. Besides Latin and Greek, which. he learned as a young man, he had complete mastery of English, German. Italian, and Spanish, which he taught himself at the age of 70. He was also a good Sanskrit scholar, and a member of the Asiatic Societies of London and Paris.
He was known by a wide circle of friends as a brilliant conversationalist, and at the same time a man of the simplest and most genial nature; he was very widely loved and respected.
He married in 1858 Miss Whiteside, of Whitehaven. Two of his sons, Henry. formerly secretary to Lord Storemount and a keen politician. and Wilfred, in the merchant service, died before him, the latter haying been drowned in the famous storm at Samoa. His surviving son commands the s.s. Potosi, belonging to the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, which was the first English boat to pass through the Panama Canal. Of his three daughters, one is married to Dr Paton.
The funeral took place on Tuesday, Oct. 26th-the first part in King William's College Chapel, and the interment at Malew. The officiating clergy were the Archdeacon, Canon Spicer (vicar of Malew), the Principal, and the Rev E. H. Stenning (chaplain of the College). In the Chapel the choir sang two hymns, " Now the labourer's task is o'er" and " The saints of God." Miss MacKnight, the organist, played Chopin's " funeral March " before the service, and " O rest in the Lord," afterwards.
There was a large attendance in the chapel. the chief mourners being Mrs Paton, Miss Grace Pleignier, Mr and Mrs R. Whiteside, of Lhergy-bane, Douglas; Miss Whiteside, Port St. Mary; and Miss Paton, Ramsey. The Governor and the Bishop were, unfortunately, off the Island, but the trustees of the college were represented by the Clerk of the Rolls, the Attorney-General, and the Archdeacon, the Vicar-General representing the Bishop. Amongst those present were also the Second Deemster, the High-Bailiff of Castletown, Mrs Ring, Miss Owen, Mrs Dickson, Mrs Bygrave, Mrs Stenning, etc.
The body was followed to the grave by a large cortege, with which were the masters of the college, in cap and gown, and a large number of the boys. The members of the Lancashire and Cheshire Old Boys' Society had sent a wreath " in memory of our old friend," as also had the boys of the college, and private friends too many to enumerate.
Died February 10th, 1916.
The death is announced at Stockport of the Rev Canon Thomas Alfred Stowell, .A., formerly Rural Dean of Salford and Leyland, and up, to his death Hon. Canon of Manchester. He was 85 years old, having been born in 1831, in Bolton-street, Salford. He was the second son of the Rev Canon Hugh Stowell, M.A., probably the most gifted divine in Manx history, and one of the most distinguished evangelical preachers in the last century. His scholastic career was remarkable, he having taken the Bridgman Exhibition at Oxford at a very early age, and graduated at the University in 1855 with double honours. He was ordained in 1857; M.A. 1858; Priest, 1858; when he became curate of Calverley, near Leeds, in sole charge of Bolton He became Rector of Christ Church, Salford, on the death of his distinguished father in 1865, and he ministered in that large and important parish until 1890, when he became Rector of Chorley. The deceased clergyman found time amid his many parochial duties to devote himself to several diocesan movements, for he was Proctor in Convocation for the Archdeaconry of Blackburn; hon. secretary of the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education for ten years; the representative on the Central Council of Diocesan Conferences in 1882; and the Assessor for the Chapter of Manchester Cathedral. He retired from the living of Chorley in 1907, and had lived in Stockport with his family ever since. He had eight sons and five daughters, many of whom frequently visit the Isle of Man and take a deep interest in its affairs. The deceased comes of one of the most ancient and gifted of Manx families, the Stowells of Lonan. His great-grand-father was Thomas Stowell, of Balla-stowell, and his great-grandmother was Ann Brown (great-aunt of the poet, T. E. Brown), who, it is believed, belonged to the family of Brown who held land in German in the fifteenth century (? no). His grandfather was the Rev Hugh Stowell, the famous Rector of Ballaugh, who wrote the standard Life of Bishop Wilson. He wrote many works in both Manx and English, and corrected the 1810 edition of the Manx New Testament. The deceased gentleman's father was the author of many -theological and scholarly works, and was an eminent hymn writer. His best known hymns are " Jesus is our Shepherd, wiping every tear," and "From every stormy wind that blows." The latter is known as "The Mercy Seat," and is sung in every English-speaking country in the world. The late Thomas Alfred Stowell, though not so successful a hymn-writer as his father, wrote quite a number of hymns, chiefly for children's services. The most popular are "In God's holy dwelling," and " While the sun is shining." These latter particulars are taken from the last edition of Julian's " Dictionary of Hymnology," which states that the hymns of both the Stowells will no doubt come into extensive use.
Died November 3rd, 1915,
Mr Stephen Kewley, a highly respected citizen of Douglas, passed away on Nov. 3rd, after a, brief illness. On Monday, October 25th, Mr Kewley had a stroke, but subsequently his condition showed considerable improvement. Another seizure, however, overtook him on Tuesday night, when he became unconscious, in which condition he remained until death came at noon the following day. Mr Kewley was a Douglas man by birth, breeding, and education. He was born just 69 years ago, he being the third son of the late Mr Thomas Kewley, who in his day was in business in a. large way in Castle-street as a joiner, builder, and contractor. After completing his school education, Mr Stephen Kewley became apprenticed to a chemist, but he eventually entered his father's workshop, and there qualified for the building trade. A man of excellent parts and tastes, and a fine mathematician and draughtsman, he developed into an accomplished architect, and in addition gained a thorough acquaintance with the practical side of his business. On the death of his father over thirty years ago, he, in conjunction with an elder brother Mr James Kewley, who survives him, took over the business, which they carried on under the style of J. and S. Kewley. They built several houses on the Loch Promenade and in other parts of the town, their work always being noted for quality and finish. About a dozen years ago they retired, the business being acquired by the late Mr Arthur Kaye. Mr Stephen Kewley was a remarkably intellectual a well-read and well-informed man, but being of retiring disposition, his many accomplishments were known only to intimate acquaintances. In business and in social, life he was ever the pink of kindly courtesy, and he was charitable both in act and deed, though he was always careful to conceal so far as possible the many good actions he performed. He married rather late in life, and is survived by wife, who is one of the daughters of the late Mr Henry Robinson, builder, Douglas. There are no children of the marriage.
Died October 3rd, 1915,
Under the headings " The Skillicorne family" ; " A Manxman who popularised Cheltenham's Springs," the following appeared in " The Westminster Gazette." of October 27th: -"The family of the late Mr W. N. Skillicorne, Mayor of Chelten-ham, who died on October 23rd from the effects of a motor-car accident. has been connected with the West Midland watering-place for well-nigh two hundred years. It was, however, of Manx origin. The epitaph on the marble tablet in Cheltenham Parish Church to the Skillicorne who first settled in the town is, said to be one of the longest in the kingdom, containing upwards of 600 words. If, sets forth how 'Captain Henry Skillicorne, born at Kirk Lonnon, in the Isle of Man (sic), in 1678, taught by Bishop Wilson, justly called the good,' came in 1731 to Cheltenham, and extended the use and knowledge of the now famous medicinal springs. The epitaph concludes thus: 'He was so temperate as never to have been once intoxicated. Religious without hypocrisy grave without austerity, of a cheerful conversation without levity, a kind husband and a tender father. Tall, erect, robust and active. From an ill-treated wound while a prisoner, after an engagement sea, he became a. strict valetudinarian The male line of the Cheltenham branch of the family is extinguished by the death of Mr W. N. Skillicorne, who was bachelor. The late Alderman was four times mayor of his native town, thus seeing one year less of service in that capacity than did his equally esteemed father. Like his father, too, Mr Skillicorne held practically every office an individual could hold in local and county government, was on the board of directors of nearly every local company, and chairman or member of the committee of practically every local enterprise charitable, social, or educational He was head of the Liberal Party Cheltenham, and a member of the National Liberal Club."
Died November 20th, 1915
With regret we announce the death of Mr Frank Strickland, of the Promenade, Port St. Mary, which took place on Nov. 20th, in his 66th year. The deceased gentleman had been in failing health for a considerable time. In early life he was reluctantly compelled to relinquish an important position which he held in a Manchester shipping office on account of indifferent health; and about 24 years ago he came to reside at Port St. Mary, where he was much respected. A staunch Churchman, he held the post of hour. secretary and treasurer of St. Mary's Church for over 20 years, and only retired a fortnight ago. He directed his activities towards the social life of the church, and his wise counsel was constantly sought after. He took a warm interest in the local Golf Club, and was one of the first directors. He was also director and secretary of Port St. Mary Public Hall Company. Mrs Strickland predeceased him in March, 1914. The sincere sympathy of many friends is extended to the family in their bereavement.
The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon amidst many signs of genuine sorrow. The first portion of the burial serviced was conducted by the Rev Canon Leece (vicar) and Rev P. V. Ockford, in , St. Mary's Church; and the hymns, "Peace, perfect peace," and " Jesu, meek and gentle," were feeilingly sung. Mr Thos. Robins presided at the organ, and touchingly played a Funeral March and the " Dead March" in Saul. The internment was at Rushen Churchyard, the last rites at the graveside being conducted by the Vicar and Mr Ockfard. All the members of the family were present, and the bearers were the sidesmen of St. Mary's Church and the directors of the Hall Co.
At St. Mary's Church, on Sunday morning, the Rev P. V. Ockford referred to the great loss they had sustained by the death of Mr Strickland, who had been a. source of strength to them, taking a whole-hearted interest in everything connected with Port St. Mary Church. The heart-felt sympathy of all would go out to Mr Strickland's family in their bereavement.
Died December 21st, 1915.
Mr John Quale, born in the Isle of Man a little over fifty years ago, died at Addington Hospital, Durban, Natal, early in the morning of Tuesday, December 21st. The deceased went out to South Africa as a youth, and had given 35 years' service on the South African railways. He was one of the best known drivers on the system, and was the oldest driver on the Natal liners. During the past four months Mr Quale had suffered from a painful internal complaint. The immediate cause of death was heart failure. The deceased gentleman was a bachelor. The funeral took place on the following day at Maritzburg. The chief mourner was Mrs C. Johnstone, sister of the deceased. The Rev A. J. Harker officiated. There were many wreaths.
Died February 10th, 1916
On the 10th February last, at his residence in Arkon, Ohio, and while surrounded by his wife and family, Robert Nelson Caine peacefully passed from this life. He was born in Douglas, Isle of Man, January 29th, 1842, and on the 5th June, 1866, in Old Kirk Braddan, was married to, Jane Quayle, who then lived at Peel. In October, 1869, they left their old home and came to America, locating at Cleveland, Ohio, afterwards moving to Akron, where they have resided for the past thirty-two years. Mr Caine was successful in his life's work, and as a building contractor left many monuments of his ability. He had been for many years an ardent and active member of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, and the beautiful service of the Order was given at his burial. He left surviving him his widow and five children three sons and two daughters.
Died December 8th, 1915.
By the death of John Nelson Cain, which took place on Thursday, December 9th, the last of the oarsmen who formed the famous Douglas crew of the early 'seventies has passed over to the Great Majority. The other three pulling members of the crow were Charles Kewin, Hugh Rogers, and David Kewley ("Dawsey"), all of whom predeceased Cain at a comparatively early age. Probably a finer combination of men skilled in the use of the oar never sat in a boat. All of grand physique, they formed a beautifully balanced crew, and their oars-manship was not only powerful of effect, but delightful to the eye. Their order in the boat was :- Kewin, No. 1 (bow) ; Rogers, No. 2 ; Cain, No. 3 ; and Kewley, stroke. They first came into prominence while lads, plying their calling as boat-men, by beating in an ordinary harbour gig a well-practised crew composed of men of fine physique which had up to then been supreme at Manx regattas and used a specially built racing craft. Other successes followed, and eventually certain Douglas sportsmen of forty years ago provided these with an inrigged racing craft, in which they went from victory to victory. At Manx regattas all round the coast they were invincible in fours, pairs, and sculls. Having disposed of all Insular competing crews, they crossed to regattas on the North-west coast of England, and there added to their renown by beating handsomely the crack professional crews which they competed against. Stroked by " Dawsey," they had a magnificent swing, a fine grip of the water, and a well-finished style they never came forward to meet the oar, but got every ounce out of one stroke ere bending for the next. " Dawsey" and Cain were never beaten in a pair-oared race, while it was hard to say which of the two was the better man at sculls. Boat racing in Douglas had a great vogue in those days, and most Douglas lads could handle an oar fairly; but with the coming of places of evening amusement, and the rise of football into popular favour, watermanship fell away, and it is doubtful whether at the present time there are a hundred young fellows in the town, outside the ranks of the professional boatmen, who can feather an oar. Though Cain was the last survivor of the oarsmen whom " Dawsey" so often stroked to success, there is yet a member of the crew living, in the person of Mr Edward Connell, who was coxswain of the boat. Mr Connell is a butcher and cattle dealer, and to judge from his appearance he has, happily, a good spell of life in front of him. John Cain was not only a fine oarsman, but a most skilful line fisherman, while what he did not know about handling small sailing craft was not worth knowing. He had, too, a great knowledge of the tidal peculiarities of Douglas bay and the neighbouring waters, and this, combined with his complete acquaintance with the soundings and the character of the bottom of the bay, made him a pilot of parts. In his youth and early manhood he was boatman, yachtsman, lifeboatman, fisherman, and pilot, and in all these capacities he shone. When the late Capt. Hartwell, R.N., made Douglas his yachting head-quarters, Cain had charge of the craft and accompanied the breezy and burly captain in many cruises. For many years prior to his death he was in the employ of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company as a boatmen, and was a well-trusted and faithful servant of that great Manx concern. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, and was very largely attended. Interment was at Braddan Cemetery.
Died January 3rd, 1915.
We regret having to record the death of another well-known Manxman in South Africa. On January 3rd, there passed away suddenly, at No. 20 West-avenue, Village Deep, Johannesburg, Mr William Edwin Mylechraine, who was born at Laxey, I.O.M., and was 38 years old. He was at one time village postman, and left the Island 18 years ago for the Witwatersrand goldfields. He worked as a miner on the " Jumpers Deep" G.M. for years, and after leaving there he worked on the " Glen Deep" G.M. He was appointed shift boss on this mine, and was also elected President of the Transvaal Miners' Association. Holding very pronounced views on the labour question, and knowing, by experience, the terrible conditions gold miners worked under at that time, he was not slow in voicing his candid opinions; and when the Rand miners went out on strike in 1907, he was one of the leaders. After the strike ended, owing to his prominent position as President of the Miners' Association, he was victimised, and was refused employment for some time. However, he started again on the " Angelo" section of the East Rand Prop. Mines, which were controlled by the late Sir Geo. Farrar, Bart., and when the Mine Captain (Mr T. Milful) left for a trip home, Mr Mylechraine acted for him. From the " Angelo" he went to the "City Deep" G.M. as shift boss, and was later on transferred to the Turf Shaft, "Village Deep" G.M., as shift boss and acting Mine Captain. That is a short sketch of his mining record, but during all the stress of work, and the various calls upon his time, there was one thing he never forgot, and that was his native land. He was never tired of singing the Island's praises, and nothing pleased him more than to gather a few kindred souls together occasionally at his home to sing the songs of Mona's Isle and recite stories, humorous or pathetic, as they came to each one's thoughts. He was for years a member of the committee of the Transvaal Manx Association, and seldom missed being present at the monthly meetings and social gatherings. In private life he was one of the most generous and kindly men imaginahle, and there are many instances recorded of his free-handed generosity to persons who were flying the flag of distress. He was of a most optimistic and jovial temperament, and was a most entertaining personality. But it was in the fighting-line he loved to be. He fought through the Boer War , in the " Rand Pioneers," and when they disbanded at the Cape he joined another corps operating in the Cape Colony, until the end of the war, after which he had a trip home to the Island.- Returning to Johannesburg. he resumed mining and was, as recorded, a prominent leader in the labour movements for better working conditions. Of the real old independent Manx spirit, when he spoke on any subject about which he felt strongly, he could be most candid and outspoken, and although it was the cause of his being victimised, he used often to say to the present writer, dropping into the old Manx brogue, " Navar mind, boy! there's goold on the cushags yet !" And it is through his, and his colleagues, of the Miners' Association, efforts, that the Rand miners' working conditions are so much improved, although they are far from perfect yet. Mr Mylechraine's health had not been good for some time and only recently he went for a holiday to the Lichenberg district; but the terrible disease, miner's phthisis, was too far advanced, and he was forced to relinquish his work. He was only two weeks off work when he passed away.
The funeral was a very large one, over twenty carriages and motor-cars being in the procession, and a large sumber of wreaths were sent by sympathetic friends. The coffin was- of oak with heavy silver mounts, and the funeral service was con-ducted at the graveside by the Rev W. Bradshaw, Primitive Methodist minister. The chief mourners present were: Mrs Mylechraine (widow), and two daughters and two sans; Mr Jas. Kermeen, cousin : Mr and Mrs W. H. Jane, cousins. The pallbearers were Mr Jank Deverish (Vice-President Transvaal Miners' Association), Mr T. Milful (Mine Captain, Witwaters-rand Mine), Mr Joe Dixon (Shift Boss, Village Deep). Mr Joe Cain. Mr Postlewaite, and A. O. Cain (Hon. Secretary Transvaal Manx Association). Amongst the many Manxmen present at the grave-side were:-Mr D. F. Corlett (President, Transvaal Manx Association). Mr R. Sayle (Vice-President), Mr T. C. Cowin (treas.), Mr G. Skillicorn, Mr T. Williamson, Mr J. Duggan, Mr E. Barnett, Bros. Postlewaite, Mr Spence, and many others. A large number of mining officials and men were present, amongst whom were:-Mr Bilborough (Mine Capt., Village Deep), Mr Joe Dixon (shift boss), two brothers Notle, Mr Lillianstroom, and many others.
Attached is an extract from the " Rand Daily Mail" of January 5th, 1916:-
"On behalf of the Manxmen and women of Johannesburg, we extend to Mrs Mylechraine and family, and to Mr Mylechraine's mother and sister, and other relatives in the Island, our deepest sympathy in their sad bereavement."
The following lines concerning the late Mr W. E. Mylechraine were written at the very bottom of the shaft where: Mr Mylechraine first started mining in South Africa: -
WILLIAM EDWIN MYLECHRAINE,
Died January 3rd, 1916.
The brave old oak within the forest glade.
Stands 'midst the swirl of elemental strife,
It little reeks the blasts of Winter's shade,
And battles for its life.
But to ! there comas a time, when its brave heart,
Before the, fierce wild storm with trembling quakes,
Still. battling on, it plays the hero's part,
Until it bends . . . and breaks.
Thus, valiant soul, unto the mighty tree
We liken thee, thou faced the storms of life
With ioyous buoyancy, and laughter fres,
And gloried in the strife.
E'en as thy grandsires, heroes of the deeps
Wild, hardy Vikings, warriors brave and 'bold,
Charged in the battle's van,-then fell asleep,
The story Sagas told.
And when, To Arms ! old England's war drum beat,
Where the fierce squadrons fought, and bled, and fell,
Where Boer and Briton. in war's carnage meet
" Ruy " Mylechraine rode well.
Back from the stricken field. adventurous still,
Deep in the mines, their unknown dangers braved.
Where poisoned tongues of death leap forth to kill,
And few, alas. are saved !
Brave, sturdy heart, the final storm has passed,
And thy poor wearied form we lay to rest,
Thy loving wife and children's tears fall fast,
They knew and loved thee best;
And in the eventide, when shadows fall,
And in many hearts, thy memory sweet shall be
Whilst thou above, in fair Valhalla's halls,
Shall rest eternally.
Died January 4th, 1916,
Mr John Blair, of 15 Selborne-road, Douglas, died at his residence on Jan. 4th, after a prolonged illness. Some three years ago Mr Blair, who up to them had enjoyed most excellent health, had a paralytic seizure, and though he partially recovered from the effects of the stroke he never regained the full use of his limbs, and for the remainder of his life he was in large measure confined to his house. He grow worse some little time before death, and the end was not unexpected. In his day Mr Blair was a very well-known person in Douglas, and he was always held iin high respect. His parents were both Irish, but he was reared in Douglas. Born about 74 years ;ago, he received his education at St. George's School, Athol-street. It was his first intention to engage in the teaching profession, and for some time he was a pupil teacher in St. George's School. The life was not, however, to his liking, and while still in his teens he abandoned it in favour of a stool in a lawyer's office. For several years he was chief clerk to, the late Mr Alfred Nelson Laughton, then the most witty and one of the most eloquent of the members of the Manx Bar. Mr Laughton, by the way, subsequently became High-Bailiff of Peel and held the position until his death. In 1872, on the passing of the first of the Elementary Education Acts, Mr Blair was appointed clerk to the School Board of Douglas, which body was constituted under the Act. He retained the office for about three years, and during his period of office he rendered most excellent service in the cause of education. He resigned the clerkship to the School Board in order to become managing clerk to the late Major James Spittall, with whom he was associated until death overtook Major Spittall. Yet was the association in danger of severance thirty six years ago. At that time the clerkship to the Douglas Town Commissioners a body now known as the Douglas Town Council was vacated by Mr Thomas Morrison. In connection with the filling of the vacancy there were large numbers of applications, and among the applicants was Mr Blair, who was in the end appointed to the important post. When, however, he acquainted Major Spittall with his success, that gentleman became so much perturbed at the prospect of losing the services of his able managing clerk that he offered Mr Blair considerable financial inducement to remain with him. The offer was accepted and Mr Blair notified the Town Commissioners that he could not accept their clerkship, which was eventually secured by Mr Thomas H. Nesbitt, now Town Clerk of Sydney, New South Wales. Major Spittall had very large interests in Douglas and throughout the Island, and these fell to the management in the main of Mr Blair, who also carried out to very large extent the duties of Secretary of the Isle of Man Savings Bank. an office nominally held by Major Spittall. Mr Blair in his time probably composed more neighbourly differences than any other man in the Isle of Man. Major Spittall was for about half-a-century clerk to the Douglas Magistrates, and warrants in connection with District Petty Sessions cases were issued from his office. It fell to the lot of Mr Blair to deal with applications for warrants, and as these applications were in the majority of cases made by would-be litigants in person, he had many opportunities of endeavouring to persuade parties to either refrain from washing their dirty linen in court or to make friends. He had a most persuasive manner and tongue, and the kindly and humorous methods he employed to restore amity were very often crowned with success. Mr Blair was a very well-read and well-informed man, and his mind was richly stored with happenings in Douglas in his youthful days. He, had, too, a keen sense of humour and was not averse to a joke, as employees in offices close by had good reason to know. His fun, however, even when it took practical shape, was of the harmless variety. and it had to be conceded that he heartily enjoyed retaliation in kind. Several years ago he was elected a member of the Society of Incorporated Accountants, and in this capacity he acted as auditor of several local companies and as trustee of a number of estates. He was a remarkably accomplished penman, and in his younger days was in great demand for the writing and illumination of presentation addresses, his work being always marked by artistic taste. Many years ago, Mr Blair became is local preacher in connection with the Wesleyan Methodist body. The pulpit work was greatly appreciated throughout the Douglas circuit and elsewhere in ithe Island, his sermons being ever sound and well thought out, while his delivery was both pleasant and impressive. Mr Blair was twice married, and by hia first wife, who prior to marriage was a Miss Edwards, of Douglas, his had six children five sons and one daughter all of whom survive him. Two of his sons are Mr J. E. Blair, dental surgeon, of Douglas and Peel, and Mr E. A. Blair, publisher in the Isle of Man for the Associated Newspapers, Ltd. Mr Blair's second wife survives him. The funeral took place on Friday, January 7th, and was well attended.
Died February 20th, 1916.
A figure well-known to and much respected by seafarers frequenting the port of Douglas, and by Manx people generally, has been removed by death. Capt. John Tarbet, master mariner and First Assistant Harbour-master at Douglas, passed away on Feb. 20th, at the age of 73. For some years past Capt. Tarbet had been in indifferent health, but he stuck to the duties of his post almost to the very end. A few weeks ago he contracted a cold, and this the was unable to shake off, but he was able to get out up to a fortnight before death, and his end came unexpectedly. From his boyhood Capt. Tarbet was connected with seafaring. On completing his apprenticeship, he became successively second officer, chief officer, and master, and in this latter capacity he for many years commanded steamers engaged in trading between England and Spain and Portugal. He also, had charge of sailing vessels for a time, and for a period acted as first officer on one of the Barrow Steam Navigation Company's steamers on the Douglas and Barrow service. At the formation of the now defunct Mona Steamship Company, some twenty-six years ago, he was given command of the Company's first steamer, Manx Fairy, which was engaged in coast excursion traffic. Capt Tarbet was a complete master of navigation and sea-manship, and he, when sailing, held pilot certificates under several British pilotage authorities. Capt. George Maddrell, one of the finest seamen ever turned out in the Isle of Man, served his apprenticeship with him. Upon the death of Capt. Corris, harbour-master of Douglas, about ten years ago, Capt. Tarbett was appointed by the Harbour Commissioners as First Assistant Harbour-master at Douglas, and he zealously discharged the duties of the office up to last week, when ill-health compelled his resignation. He was a widower, and had two children. He resided with his daughter, Miss A. Tarbet, in Adelaide-terrace. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon. and was well-attended, among those present being a deputation of Oddfellows, Capt. Tarbet being one of the oldest members of the order in the Island.
Died January 23rd, 1916,
On January 23rd, Mr John Casement, engineer, of Woodbourne-square, Douglas, passed away, at the age of 73. Mr Casement was well-known to the majority of Manx people, and few Manxmen were better known outside the Island. His long connection one of over half a century with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company as a sea-going engineer brought him into close contact with thousands of English people, who never failed to be struck with the great originality and pawky humour of the veteran. Mr Casement, although he gave up sea life about ten years ago, continued service with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, in the company's engineering works at Douglas, up to about two years back, when he finally retired on pension. He was a member of a well-known Manx family, many of whose representatives had been millwrights and engineers far generations. His father, the late Mr Robert Casement, achieved celebrity by designing and constructing the famous great wheel at Laxey, which for many years kept the underground workings of the Great Laxey Mining Company clear of water. Mr Robort Casement was the Mining Company's chief engineer, and it was at Laxey that Mr John Casement was born, reared. educated, and finally trained, as an engineer. On completing his apprenticeship, he sailed foreign as an engineer on Messrs Lamport and Holt's steamers, and was afterwards foreman at the Vauxhall Foundry and Flngineering Works, Liverpool, for a period. He gave up this appointment in order to join the engineering staff of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company in the year 1862, and he maintained uninterrupted his connection with the company to the day of his death. He was engineer on many of the most famous vessels of the company's fleet, including that celebrated paddle steamer Douglas, fastest commercial craft of her day. In the early 'sixties the Douglas was sold by the company to persons who engaged running the blockade which the Federal Government of the United States established in connection with shipping attempting to enter or leave the ports of the rebellious Southern States. The Douglas made a. great name for herself as a blockade runner, and Mr Casement never tired of yarning as to the wonderful speeds she attained. Certainly she was able to travel from Douglas to Liverpool in about four and a half hours a rate which is not greatly transcended in these days of turbine-driven vessels. He soon attained the rank of chief engineer, and in this capacity he sailed up to the time he gave up sea life. He was chief of the Peveril when. as the result of a collision with another steamer, she sank some fourteen miles off Douglas, on September 17th, 1899. Few men had a better knowledge of the Isle of Man and of the people of the Island than the late Mr Casement. He had a rich store of anecdote and folk-lore, and the was never so happy as when retailing his reminiscences and experiences. A good raconteur, with an extraordinary memory, the told most excellent stories in dryly humorous fashion. Politically he was a staunch Conservative, and had no use for new-fangled methods of State and Government. A Congregationalist in religion. he had a long association with the Finch Hill Congregational Church in Douglas. He married a daughter of the late Capt. William Fell, who for many years was in command of the old Mona's Queen, in her day a famous unit of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company's fleet. Mrs Casement pre-deceased him five years ago. Six children of the marriage survive Mr John Casement, who is a chief engineer in the Houston Line; Mrs H. Hume, Belfast: Mrs A. C. Lewthwaite, Douglas; Mrs P. Thomas, Walsall; Mrs G. Fraser. Clapham; and Miss Anna Casement, Douglas. Mr Casement commenced to fail in health about two years ago, but up to the commencement of the present winter he was able to get out and about. In November he had a seizure which confined him to the house, and he gradually sank until death came on Sunday.
The funeral took place on Wednesday, when. in addition to many well-known townsmen, representatives of the Packet Company's office and engineering staffs attended, including Mr T. Craine (assistant manager), Mr Blackburn (superintendent engineer), Mr Whyte (foreman), Mr W. Lewin (ex-superintendent) ; also Captains Cowley, Cannell, etc. The interment was at Onchan Churchyard, where the funeral service was conducted by the Rev Vivian Davies, minister of Finch Hill Congregational Church.
Died April 21st, 1916,
On Good Friday, at Bishopscourt, Broadwater, Tunbridge Wells, Mrs Straton, wife of Bishop Straton, passed peacefully to her rest. Her life on earth was a record of service faithfully rendered to God and His Church, and her influence for good in many splferes of work to which she was called, was deep and far-reaching. She belonged to an old and well-known Yorkshire family, being a daughter of the late Mr J. R. Pease, of Hesslewood, near Hull. During the seventeen years that her husband was Vicar and Rural Dean of Wakefield, Mrs Straton ably fulfilled the duties of a parochial clergyman's wife. She devoted herself very specially to Mothers' Meetings, and frequently gave addresses to the mothers. These addresses were highly appreciated, and were marked by deep spirituality of love and feeling. A home connected with the Ladies' association for the care of young girls, owed much to her practical sympathy. When she left Wakefield, the most touching tributes of affection were sent to her by those who had attended her Mothers' Meetings, and by the members of the Young Women's Class, which she held each Sunday at the Vicarage. In the name of the ladies of the city of Wakefield, Lady Catherine Milnes-Gaskell presented Mrs Straton with a beautiful silver tea-tray, as a token of the love and esteem in which she was held by the subscribers. During the years that her husband was Bishop of Sodor and Man, she closely identified herself with the chief religious and philanthropic enterprises in the diocese. She was president of the Girls' Friendly Society, the Young Women's Christian Association, and the ladies' branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society. She won the hearts of the Manx people, as she did those of the people of Wakefield, When Bishop Straton was appointed to the See of Newcastle, the people of the Isle of Man showed by many tokens the feelings of appreciation and affection which they entertained for Mrs Straton. During the seven years spent at Newcastle, Mrs Straton was mainly instrumental is raising money for diocesan purposes, and she maintained a keen oesire to help forward the work of the C.P.A., the Y.W.C.A and the G.F.S., and other kindred societies. In spite or failing health, she discharged all social duties, and the kindness of her hospitality at Benwell was well known throughout the diocese. When Bishop Straton resigned the Bishopric of Newcastle, in all expressions of appreciation and goodwill towards him, addressed by public bodies and private individuals, there was associated the name of his devoted wife. Mrs Straton was loved and respected, and her memory will ever remain a cherished one in the hearts and minds of her friends. The first part of the funeral service was taken in St Mark's Church, Broadwater, on Wednesday afternoon, April 26th, by the Revs H, G. Ince, J. M. Harris, and J. W. Wicksted. At the graveside in Tunbridge Cemetery, the committal prayers were read by Canon Hurt, and the Bishop pronounced the Benediction. The mourners included Bishop Straton, Mrs Fortescue, Mrs H. Pease, Miss Pease (niece;), the Hon Mrs Duberly, Lord and Lady Kinnaird, Miss Fennel, the Rev J. T. Thompson Major Edwards, Mr Raines. Mr Lazenby, and the servants from Bishopscourt. The coffin was covered with beautiful wreaths and flowers. Bishop Straton has received numerous message; of condolence and loving sympathy from friends in all parts of the country. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord. even so saith the Spirit, for they rest from their labours," from the "Record," May 4th.
Died February 3rd, 1916.
Word has been received that a former Peel citizen, Mr R. J. Kelly, died suddenly at Nebraska City, U.S.A., on the 3rd February. Mr Kelly. who was a native of Peel and a very well-known man, carried on a boot and shoe business for many years in Douglas street. The following account of Mr Kelly's death is taken from the Nebraska "Daily News."
Mr R. J. Kelly, one of the best known gentlemen in this city, who has been in charge of the box making plant for the Morton-Gregson Packing Company for years, went to work this morn ng as usual. He entered the shop and was seen to sit down and then fall over. His men ran to him and picked him up and laid him out and found he was beyond human aid. His death was a shock not only to his associates and those of his friends. but to overy one in the city.
Mr. Kelly was a ship builder, born and reared in the Isle of Man, and came to this city Jan. 1st, 1887, with his family and has since made it his home. He was 73 years of age and a well preserved man. being of the sturdy stock that came from the sea Island, where people spend the major portion of their time out of doors and seldom know what it is to be sick. Being no labour of his kind here, he refused to remain idle and worked at various things and finally became foreman of the box factory at the packing house. where he has been employed for a long time. He was of a cheery disposition and always smiling, with a kind word for all and generous to a fault. He had a kind word for mankind and a friendly feeling for all animal kind, with a disposition to look only on the bright side of life.
Mr Kelly was a long and devout member of the Methodist charch. He had been having very good health of late and that evening attended prayer meeting at the Methodist Church and seemed to be in the. best spirits. His death is thought to have been due to a stroke of apoplexy.
His wife died some years ago and left a large family of children which he reared and they all grew up to be exceptionally good men and women because of the example their noble and Christian father had set for them. The deceased is survived by R. W. Kelly of Peru, Herbert Kelly of Kansas City, Mrs. Gessell of Beatrice, Mrs Emory Arrison and Charles Kelly of this city. He is also survived by two sisters.
The bereaved relatives have the heart-felt sympathy of all in this loss of such a devoted father, and the whole community will mourn his loss because he was the friend of everyone.
In the passing of R. J. Kelly and John C. Watson of Nebraska City, we lose two of its best loved and most highly respected citizens. Each, while in different spheres of life, seemed to have one prime object in life, that is, to do everything possible to aid their fellow man in every way and to try to better their condition. Two more liberal minded or better hearted men never lived. They were ever trying to aid the less fortunate to make their lives better, to keep them in the straight and narrow path. They came to this city in the seventies and made scores of close friends, who admired them for their actual worth and manly ways. We all deeply mourn the passing of these two noble men to their reward. Peace to their ashes, for their memory will ever be fresh for their real worth.
[The two sisters referred to above are Miss Maggie Kelly. Well known as a great lover of our island, and a friend of Torn Brown. the poet. and Miss Jane Kelly, who kept a stationers shop in Peel.]
Died February 14th, 1916.
The "Peel City Guardian " announces the sudden death of Mr Charles King, which took place at Clacton on Monday evening, February 14th, and particulars of which are given below.
Mr King's first appointment was as head master to the Peel Wesleyan Day School, which had just been erected, largely owing to the exertions of the late Mr Joseph Higgins (who died in Australia) and the late Mr Leslie Lockhart (a Custom House officer, who was stationed in Peel). The school was opened on January 16th. 1863, with six scholars (four girls and two boys all of whom we believe are alive today. One is Mr Broadbent, of the "Isle of Man Examiner." Other scholars who joined shortly afterwards, and have distinguished themselves are Mr R. E. Morrison, the well-known artist and portrait painter. of Liverpool, and Mr Christopher Shimmin, of Peel, author of several beautiful Manx plays. Mr King laboured with such acceptance that by July the number of scholars had risen to sixty, and by December to eighty. Mr King gained the confidence of parents and managers, and the school progressed both in numbers and tuition. The reports of the Government Inspectors from time to time were very satisfactory. Great regret was manifested when, in December, 1870, Mr King left Peel for an appointment at Hey-wood. Before his departure, Mr King was presented with a time piece, a purse of money, and a complimentary address on parchment. Some years afterwards the Heywood people also presented him with an address expresive of their admiration and appreciation. These two schools were the only positions he filled until he retired from the scholastic profession and went to live at Ealing. Mr King married a Peel lady, Miss Christian, who survives him.
Under the heading, "Local Preacher for Fifty Years," the "Clacton News" of February 12th gives the following account of Mr King's death
On Monday evening the death of Mr Charles King, of 90 Rosemary-road, took place under tragic circumstances, at the Weekly meeting of the Clacton Arts and Literary Society, held in the Assembly Room at the Royal Hotel. The deceased gentleman. who was 73 years of age, was a member of the society, and frequently attended the weekly meetings, at which he occasionally took part in the discussion with which the proceedings terminated. On Monday evening he was invited by the chairman to speak a few words subsequent to the reading by Mrs A. E. Brown, of a paper on "Charlotte Bronte," and he had been speaking for two or three minutes when he was suddenly seen to stagger and fall back into his chair, from which he slid forward on to the floor. Two Red Cross nurses, who were among the audience, went immediately to his assistance, and Dr. Beatty was sent for, but although he arrived within the space of a few minutes, Mr King had in the meantime, expired, the cause of death being heart trouble, probably accelerated by the excitement of being called upon rather unexpectedly to speak. The late Mr King was not a native of Clacton, having lived here only a little over two years, prior to which he occupied the position of postmaster at Ealing. On his retirement from business he moved to Romford, where he resided for some time before coming to Clacton. Of a genial and kindly disposition, he quickly found a large circle of friends, by whom he will be greatly missed, and especially by the congregation of the Trinity Wesieyan Church. where he was a regular worshipper. Mr King was an active church worker., having been a local preacher for over fifty years, and he frequently preached in the churches in the Clacton circuit, besides occasionally occupying the pulpit at other places of worship. He was for some time secretary to the circuit quarterly meeting, and was also an ardent Sunday-school worker. In addition, he represented Rush Green district on the local War Distress Committee. The deceased gentleman leaves a widow and family of daughters, with whom much sympathy is felt in their sudden and tragic loss,
Died May 9th, 1916
The death occurred on Tuesday, May 9th, of Mr Thomas H. Creer, the well-known builder and contractor, of Douglas. Mr Creer had been in bad health for eleven months, but on the Thursday prior to his death he had a severe seizure, and in spite of unfailing attention he expired on Tuesday, as stated. Mr Creer started in business as a builder in Douglas 35 or 36 years ago, and was associated with the erection of several fine buildings in Dou-glas, including the Rolls Office, which he built in conjunction with Mr R. F. Douglas; the Catholic Schools, Finch Hill, St. Andrew's, and Bucks-road Sunday-schools. He also built the fine retort house at the Douglas Gaslight Company's works, and a large number of houses in various parts of the town.
The funeral on Saturday morning was largely attended. The mourners were:-Messrs Robert Creer, Marshadl Creer, Edwin Creer, Wd Stanley Creer (brothers) ; Messrs Robert H. Creer, J. T. Creer, and E. H. Creer (nephews); Messrs W. Sansbury and J. Gorry (brothers-in-law); Messrs H. Cowley, J. Shimmin, W. Cowley, Matt. Greer, J. Quine, T. H. Cowley, T. Quine, W. Creer, J. Cowell, S. Cowell, and T. Christian (cousins). The service was conducted by the Revs D. Oakley, T. Markwell, and Dr T. M. Pinnock (Primitive Methodist ministers) ; and the Rechabite "vice was read by Messrs Jas. Kerruish and Robt. G. Fargher. Amongst those who attended the funeral were: Messrs W. Christian, J. Lewin, J. Gelling, E. Cattier, R. C. Cain, F. Nicholson, W. Caine, G. Moore, John Kaneen, D. Kaneen, J. Sayle, P. Knees, T. Shippaar, W. McLaughlin, E. Skelly, J. J. Cowley, J. Kaye, jun., T. Cannell, Geo. Dean, J. J. Corlett, H. Corkill, J. Hutton, J. H. Clarke, T. Garrett, Robt. Clucas, H.K., James Burman, - Kelly, . Crosbie, Jos. Cain, C. Faragher, Mark Carine, H.K., E. Henry. Jas. Kerruish, . E. Douglas, Richd. Qrnne, J. Shimmin, . J. Johnson, G. S. Johnson, J. Cain, . Cannell, Jas. Oates, E. Corrin, T.C., Thos. J, Halsall, Thos. Stowell, E. Bell, Y:. Quayle, H. Brearley, R. F. Douglas, R. E. E. Quilliam, R. I. Collister, Robt. Forrest, A. M. Jackson, Clande Kneen, Jos. Shimmin, J. Kelly, T.C., Alderman Jas. Craine, T. G. Kelly, T.C. Geo. W. Qualtrough, W. A Waid, T. Kewley, W. Quirk, T.C., John Kelly, Capt. Bridson, J. Kinvig, T. C. Kermode, W. Kelly, W. Faragher, R. Quayle, G. Norman, David Kelly, E. C. Quine, R. G. Fargher, W. H. Clucas, Capt. Cain, D. Corrin, Wm. Radcliffe, R. I. Reid, and many others.
On Sunday morning, at Bucks-road Primitive Methodist Church, the Rev D. Oakley referred to the loss that church had sustained in the death of Mr Creer. The rev. gentleman said that Mr Creer was a trustee of the church, and for many years a member. He and his late wife were very energetic workers when the present church was built. Mr Creer could be aptly described as " the man of the quiet life." He was never officious or obtrusive, but modest, generous, and up-right. His was the influence not so much of gifts as of goodness. He had built up a prosperous business in the town, and was on all hands recognised as a worthy and dependable man. The large and representative gathering at his funeral was an outward and visible sign of the respect in which he was held by the communitv. Though for twelve months he was stricken with heavy affliction, he was uncomplaining. and ever appreciative of all that was done for him in the home, and of the thoughtfulness of friends. He was a brother of ai large family, and it was specially impressive to see how close, strong, and tender were the family ties. To no one would anything in the way of elaborate eulogy have been more distaste-ful than to him; and they therefore gave God thanks for the grace which was manifested in their friend's character and life, and expressed their high appreciation of the character and service of their departed brother.
Died May 11th, 1916,
The death took place on May 11th of Mr J. Caesar Bacon, of Seafield, Santon. Mr Bacon had been ailing for about two months, and for some few weeks prior to death he was virtually confined to his house. He was the only son of the late Capt. Joseph Bacon, his grandfather being Major Caesar Bacon, of Scafield, who fought at Waterloo, and whose death took place about 38 years ago, at an advanced age. Mr J. C. Bacon, who was unmarried, owned a large amount of agricultural land and house property in various parts of the Island, but particularly in Santon and Lezayre. Among the heirlooms in his possession was the faanous Ballafletcher Fairy" Cup. He was a cultured gentleman of singular courtesy and kindly disposition, and was held in high esteem by his neighbours. For several years he w as a member of the Santon Parish Commission, and of the Santon School Board. He was, too, an ex-president of the Isle of Man Agricultural Society, and a frequent and very successful exhrbitor at the society's shows. As a scientific agriculturist, he had a high and well-deserved reputation, arul. in this respect he ever set a good example to his fellow-farmers in the Island. Among his hobbies was the breeding of long-horned cattle, and of Manx mountain sheep of the old and now almost extinct strain. Mr Bacon was 46 years old.
The interment of the above gentleman took place on Monday at Onchan, and was very largely attended. the principal mourners were Mr H. MacDougall-Rawson, of Three Mills, Yorkshire (first cousin) ; Mr Ernest Teschemaker, Teignmouth (first cousin) ; Mr E. B. Gawne and Mr E. M. Gawne, of Kentraugh (third cousins) ; Mr Jas. Gell, High-Bailiff; Col. Moore, H.K., Mr J. Conuall, J.P., Mr Laiub, Mr 11. Mellor, Mr W. B. Stevenson, the Vicar of Santon, etc. ; all the old servants and four men from Kentraugh Estate The Vicar of Onchan (Rev R.Wakeford) officiated.
Died May 12th, 1916.
The death took place, on Friday, May 12, of Mr James H[Harrison]. Clarke, of Barfield, Selborne-drive, Douglas. Mr Clarke, who had passed the allotted span of three score and ten years, was by birth a Cumberland man, but he had resided in the Isle of Man for the greater portion of his life. Many years ago he succeeded the late Mr Henry Siddons in the occupation of Pulrose Farm, Douglas, and as a farmer he was very successful. He retired into private life about ten years ago, his successor in the tenancy of Pulrose being Mr John Kermode. Mr Clarke took a keen interest in the Agricultural Society, and was a frequent and a successful exhibitor at the society's shows. He took a prominent part in the management of the Wesleyan Church at the Cooil, and on removing to Douglas became a regular attendant at services in Rose Mount Church. He leaves a, widow; also a grown-up family by his first wife.
The funeral of Mr James H. Clarke, retired farmer, took place on Monday, May 15th, the interment being at, Braddan Cemetery. A large number attended to pay their last tribute of respect. The Vicar of Braddan, who was a great friend of the deceased, conducted the service at the graveside. The principal mourners wore: Mr George Clarke (son), Mrs Gelling and Mrs Appleton (daughters), Mr and Mrs J. Clarke and the Misses Clarke; Mr Hogg, Santon, Mr T. C. Kinnish, Saarton, and Mr Creer, Marown (nephews) ; Mr Kelly (Bucks-road), Mr W. Craine (Stanley-view). and Mr T. Lynanr (Bucks-road). Amongst those present were: Messrs R. J. Clague, D. Kelly, R. T. Lewin, T. W. Kelly, D. Corrin, W. Cottier, E. Bell, J. Kermode (Pulrose). R. Whiteside. J. H. Clarke, W. Joughin. FT. Hampton. R. Q. Kelly (Renscault), R. J. Blackburn. T. E. Clarke (Crosby), A. Collister (Crosby), E. Collister (Crosby), and many others. Mr R. H. Collister had charge of the funeral arrangments.
Died Mav 23rd 1916.
After an illness extending over ten days, the death occurred on May 23rd of Mr John Faragher (shoemaker), of Colby, at the advanced age of 79 years. Deceased resided in Douglas for many years, and carried on business at Mount Havelock, from whence he removed to Colby seventeen years or so ago. He was held in high regard by everyone, and being of real old Methodist stock, he attended Colby Wesleyan Church. The funeral took place at Malew Churchyard on Friday. His grandfather, the late Mr William Faragher, of Cooileam, Malew, was converted under John Wesley on South Barrule, on Whit Sunday, 1781, and in " Wesley's impressions of Manx-land," as recorded in the " Methodist Recorder" winter number of 1891, there is the following reference to this grand old man of Manx Methodism:-" On that beautiful Whit Sunday afternoon, as the people crowded the pleasant slopes of South Barrule mountain, a young lad, scarcely eighteen years of age, came to hear this great littib man (John Wesley) who had come to preach to them. He was a farmer's son, and lived at Cooilcam a farm under the shadow of the mountain. How his eyes flashed and his heart heaved' as he listened to, the burning words! Every syllable sank into the lad's soul. This was the text, 'They were all filled with the Holy Ghost.' The lad's heart was so full that he could not speak when the preacher's voice had ceased, he wended his way down the mountain side, and into his own little roorn, and shut the door. The scene is sacred. Before a year had gone, he was a preacher. He did not take up the task lightly, nor did he approve of it being carried on ignorantly. He set himself to study. Books were scarce, but he had determination and ability, and whatever he set himself to do he made himself master of it. Adam Clarks, Matthew Henry, Milton, Wesley, and the Bible, were as familiar to him as nursery rhymes are to children. In the quaint parlour of the old farm of Cooil-cam hangs a framed copy of a short sketch of this lad's life, which appeared in a Methodist magazine soon after his death. It reads: ` In respectful remembrance of the late William Faragher, of Cooilcam, in the Douglas and Castletown circuit, who was convinced of sin under a sermon preached by Mr Wesley on the South Barrule mountain, Whit Sunday, June 3rd, 1781, when in the eighteenth year of his age, and at once united himself to the Wesleyan Methodist Society. In the nineteenth year, he began to call sinners to repentance as a loyal preacher, and was rendered the instrument of bringing many to righteousness, and to copy the people of God. He possessed a very vigorous mind, was a powerful preacher in the Manx language, and was conscientiously attentive to his appointments on the Plan. After being a consistent member of the Wesleyan Methodist Society seventy-five years, and a local preacher seventy-four years, this venerable man sank beneath the infirmities of age, retaining his faculties to the last, and exchanged mortality for life on Monday, September 1st. 1885, aged ninety-five years. 'The memory of the just is blessed.' "
Died May 9th, 1916.
The death occurred on May 9th at Peel (as noticed in our last issue) of Mr W. Gorry, the well-known Manx fisherman-evangelist. Mr Gorry was stricken down with a paralytic seizure and succumbed a few days later. His death will be deeply regretted by a wide circle of friends. Deceased had conducted evangelistic missions all over the Island, and also on the mainland, his services being, in great demand by both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, of which latter body he was a lifelong member and local preacher. The funeral took place on Friday of last week, and was very largely attended by people from all parts of the Island. The first portion of the service was held in the Peel Primitive Methodist Chapel, and was conducted by the Rev T. Bonney (Primitive Methodist), assisted by Rev R. W. Pickersgill (Wesleyan).