[From Manx Quarterly, #14 Sep 1914]

Memorial Notices.


Died April 10th, 1913.

The death is announced of Mrs Farrant, widow of the late Mr William Farrant, J.P., H.K., of Ballamoar, Jurby, which took place in Douglas in the early hours of Saturday morning, 10th April. The deceased lady had been feeling very well for the last few weeks, and was looking forward to going into her new house. Her death came as an unexpected shock to all who knew her. She was popular with all classes of the community, particularly amongst the old people who attended the Ladies' Soup Dispensary, of the committee of which she was the oldest and most active member. Her funeral took place at Jurby on Tuesday, the 13th April, at 2 p.m., leaving Noble's Hospital at 10 a.m., where a number of her old friends had assembled to pay their last respects. Amongst them were noticed Deemster Callow, the Attorney-General, the Speaker. Canon Kermode, Capt.Moughtin. H.K., Rev H. Robinson, Dr Wood, Mr E. C. Kneen, Mr Blaker, Mr Buckler, the Town Clerk, and many others. The family vault in Jurby churchyard was beautifully decorated with flowers and palms from Ballamoar; and a number of the tenants and parishioners showed by their presence, their regard for one who had spent the best years of her life amongst them. The chief were Mr R. D. Farrant (son), Miss Farrant (daughter), Mr P. C. Farrant and Miss D. C. Farrant (nephew and niece).The Rev G. W. Gregson (vicar of Jurby) officiated in the church, and the Ven. the Archdeacon at the internment.

Lucy Farrant was a daughter of the late Mr Joseph Kincaid, J.P., of Kilcaddin, c. Donegal. Originally of the clan Campbell, the family early attained the sobriquet of Kincaid (Gaelic words meaning "head of a hundred"). The family first came into notice in the stormy reign of James IV. of Scotland. Amongst other qualities, the then holder of the name was a skilful surgeon, and gained the family coat of arms, with a crest showing a hand holding a lancet, and the motto " Incidento sano" (" By cutting I save"), the reference being to a successful operation which he had performed on the King. During the celebrated siege of Edinburgh Castle, Kincaid highly distinguished himself. When the Marquis of Hamilton came over from Ireland, he was accompanied by a number of fighting families, amongst them the Kincaids and the Cochranes, who were rewarded for their services in grants of the family estates of Kilcaddin and Edenmoar, in co. Donegal. A cadet of the Scottish branch of the family, Sir John Kincaid, served right through the Peninsular War, his services earning him a knighthood. Later in the century, another member of the family became Envoy Extraordinary to Persia, and was the first Englishman completely to master the language, laws, and customs of that country. His cousin took the name of Smith, and the Kincaid Smiths for three generations have served with distinction in the field. Mrs Farrant's brothers and nephews followed the family tradition. Her brother, General Kincaid, for many years ruled over the destinies of the kingdom of Bhopal as political resident to the Begum. Her cousin and brother-in-law, Lieut. William Cochrane, was one of the heroes of the Fort of Agra during the Indian Mutiny. Her nephew, Col. Kincaid, was honourably mentioned in despatches for his services in the Egyptian and South African campaigns, and held the post of Deputy Assistant Adjutant-General in the War Office before his retirement. Major Kincaid, C.E., as head of the railway department in Burma, and his brother, Charles, as Political Secretary to the Governor of Bombay, attained distinction at an early age. On her mother's side, Mrs Farrant was a descendant of Col. Singleton, whose skill held the Cromwellian forces long at bay. One of the ladies of his family, as a lady in attendance on Queen Henrietta Maria, witnessed the execution of the Martyr King. . The Singleton connection with the Court lasted till the days of George IV., when the last of them served as Equerry, and on his retirement was given the cherished privilege of occupying rooms in Hampton Court. On the 23rd November, 1865, Lucy Kincaid married the late William Farrant, then of Ballamoar, whose brilliant career in the Insular Legislature is too well known to need repetition. There was issue of the marriage three sons — Robert Kincaid, William, and Reginald Douglas — and one daughter, Lucy Susannah Eleanora, all of whom survive her. Mrs Farrant's vivacity of conversation and generosity of disposition, no less than the high spirit which she inherited from her ancestry, marked her out as a personality, and contributed to the universal respect and esteem in which she was held.


Died May 2nd, 1913.

Sixty years ago the brig Lily, laden with gunpowder, stranded on Kitterland Islet in the Calf of Man Sound, and some time after stranding she exploded with fearful loss of life, the victims of the explosion being mainly Port St. Mary and Port Erin fishermen, who were on board the brig in connection with salvage operations. On Friday, May 2nd, Mr Thomas Caveen, an ex-sergeant of Isle of Man Constabulary, who was probably the last survivor of the police who were on duty with the object of guarding the Lily, passed away at No. 51 Strand-street, Douglas. Mr Caveen had joined the Constabulary force a short time previously to the stranding of the brig, and he formed one of the small band of constables which was detailed to proceed to the scene under the then Chief Constable of Castletown, the late Mr Craige, grandfather of Mr S. C. Craige, Coroner of Middle Sheading. The police were mainly employed in preventing unauthorised persons from approaching the Lily, and none of them were on board when the explosion occurred. Mr Caveen was, however, stationed on the mainland, near to Kitterland, at the time that the awful catastrophe took place, and for the remainder of his life the terrific noise which accompanied the explosion, and the dreadful scenes which succeeded it were indelibly fixed upon his mind. He took part in the recovery of the mangled bodies of the victims, and in the necessary relief operations, and his recollections concerning the calamity were very interesting of character. Some idea of the force of the explosion may be gathered from the face that the consequent tremor of the earth was felt in Douglas, quite fourteen miles away from the scene. During the whole period of his constabulary career, Mr Caveen was in the Castletown division He attained to the rank of sergeant, and retired on pension over twenty years ago After retirement he came to reside with his daughters in Douglas, and his tall and spare, yet sinewy figure, was well-known in the town. He, for a man of his advanced years — he was 88 when he died — was very active of habit up to about two years ago, when he commenced to fail. For the last few months of his life he was confined to his room, but his wonderful fund of vitality kept death at bay for a longer period than is usual in cases of men seized with illness when verging on four score and ten years. Mr Caveen was one of the oldest members of the Rechabite Order in the Isle of Man. His funeral took place on Monday, the interment being at Kirk Arbory burial ground.

MISS K. KNEEN B.A. (of Ballacorkish).

Miss Catherine 'Katie'  Kneen (c)  Jean Corkett
[Photo © Jean Corkett]

Died May 19th, 1913.

It is with profound regret we have to ord the death of Miss Katie Kneen, B.A., second daughter of Mr and Mrs Thos. Kneen, farmer, Ballacorkish, Colby, the sad event taking place at the residencce of her grandmother (Mrs Clegg), 6 Balmoral-road, Fairfield, Liverpool, on Monday, 19th May. The deceased young lady, who was only 29 years, recently contracted brain fever, which was followed by extreme weakness. She received her education at the Higher Grade School, Douglas, and Edgehill Training College, Liverpool — one of the finest colleges in the country. She matriculated at the age of 16, and at 21 took her Bachelor of Arts (London) degree. This was followed by a period of eight years' service in Holt Secondary School, Liverpool, since when she has had a further distinguished career. She was a strenuous worker, and deeply interested in the furtherance of the education of those committed to her charge, and at the time of her death was engaged in coaching a special class for the London Matriculation. A striking, winsome — though unostentatious — personality, she endeared herself to all with whom she came in contact, and her death removes one of the most brilliant young ladies the Island has ever produced.

The funeral took place on Thursday last, at Rushen Churchyard. Service was held in Fairfield Wesleyan Church, Laurel-road, Liverpool, sympathetically conducted by her cousin, the Rev A. J. Costain, M.A. and Mr W. Clegg, F.R.C.O. (another cousin), feelingly rendered several funeral marches and the "Dead March " on the organ. The scholars of her school and a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends attended the service. Subsequently deceased's remains were conveyed to the Island, and were met on the Victoria Pier, Douglas, by many other friends, including Messrs R.B. Moore. Andrew Caley, R. H. Collister, H.K.. W. M. Gibson, Mrs Collister, etc. The cortege then proceeded by road to Rushen Churchyard, where the Committal Service was feelingly conducted by the Rev Charles E. Cook (Wesleyan minister), and the hymn, " Jesu, Lover of my soul," was sung. The chief mourners were the deceased's father and mother, Mr Tom Kneen (brother), Mr and Mrs J. Edwin Clegg, Mr W. Clegg (Woodbourne), Mr W. Clegg, jun., Mr and Mrs W. Kneen (Croft-e-Caley), Mr R. T. Kneen (Castletown), Mr W. A. Kelly, Miss Costain (Blundellsands). Miss N. Crye (Castletown), Mr H. Percy Kelly, B.A., Mr J. K. Gawne (Peel), Miss Clegg (Finch-road, Douglas), Mr Thomas Clague (Liverpool), Mr R. J. Clague, Mr H. J. Kinley, Mr A. Clague (Blundellsands), Mr Bailey, M.A., head teacher, and the Prefect (who is elected by the scholars to represent them at funerals) of Holt Secondary School; Mr O'Neill, M.A. (Secondary School, Douglas), etc.

The bearers were Messrs W. Clegg, jun. (cousin), R. T. Kneen (uncle), H. P. Kelly (cousin), and J. K. Gawne (cousin). Them were many beautiful wreaths and other floral tributes.

Miss Kneen visited the Island about a month previous, when she was apparently in her usual health. Her brother, Mr John H. Kneen, who has for the past eleven years resided at Pretoria,, South Africa, was on his way home on a visit, but arrived too late for the funeral. Great sympathy is felt for the parents and family in their overwhelming sorrow.


Many in the Island will be deeply grieved to hear of the death of Miss Catherine Kneen, B.A., who was on the Park, Liverpool. Miss Kneen was born at Ballacorkish, Rushen, and was the daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas Kneen, who are well known in the sheading. She was educated at the Douglas Higher Grade School, and afterwards at Edgehill Training College, where she took high honours, and she also obtained a London B.A. degree. Some four weeks ago, Miss Kneen had an acute nervous breakdown, due to overwork and overstrain, and, though every hope was entertained of her ultimate recovery, great weakness supervened, and she died on Monday, 9th May, at the house of her grandmother, in Balmoral-road, Fairfield. She was buried in Rushen Churchyard on Thursday afternoon.

A memorial service was held on Thursday morning in Laurel-road Wesleyan Church, Liverpool. At the early hour of 8-30 a large company, comprising the head master and staff of the Holt School, and many of the scholars, together with relatives and friends of the deceased lady, assembled in the church. The service was conducted by the Rev Frederic Elton, and the Rev A. J. Costain, minister of the Claremount-road Church, Wallasey, delivered an address

Mr Costain said: There are times when death comes robbed of its sting, shorn of its terrors. But there are times when the Angel of Death hardly seems to be a messenger of God. Some unaccountable calamity robs us of one in the hey-day of youth, and we mourn with aching hearts. The cloud seems to be without a break. We cannot see our way through. In such an hour we stand bowing our heads to the inscrutable will of God, Whose ways are not our ways, and Whose wisdom it is not within the power of man's wit to fathom. Is not it so with us to-day ? We see dimly, blindly we grope; we are crushed beneath a staggering blow. I speak to those who knew Katie Kneen. You knew her in many relationships. I do not need to ''tell you what she was. And yet there is something that ought to be said. She was a girl of parts; her abilities you could not but respect. And you admired the use that she had made of them, the tireless industry with which she has striven through the years. She has not spared herself; she has not saved herself — she has spent herself. There are few indeed who have interpreted their duty so rigorously as she, or expended themselves so uncalculatingly in the discharge of their tasks. Her strength hardly matched her spirit, and we have it in our hearts to wish this day that she had done less that she might have had the chance of doing more. She might have gone further had she not gone so fast. She burned her candle too fast and low; but while we deplore this to-day, we cannot withhold our mead of admiration for her whole-hearted devotion to her life-work. She gave herself to the task of teaching. She had that interest ni and that love for, her pupils which is a mark of the real teacher. Often have heard her speak of her scholars. They were only names to me, but I seemed know them. She seemed to make them live before your eyes. Always she gave them her uttermost. Katie Kneen had that simplicity of character which characterises all hearts — that simplicity which is the fruit of a single-eyed devotion to her aims. She was generous to a fault. She showed a fine unselfishness. Her first thought was of others, and without d play would do much-would do anything to contribute to their happiness. Her convictions were clean-cut: she had made up her mind on many questions, and woul defend her cause with pertinacity and force; but she had tolerance, and some thing more — she had charity. Her laughter was cheery and contagious. Art and literature and drama were full interest for her. Her delight in nature, sea and mountain and river and heath and gorse — was unfeigned — a big part of her, indeed. Her love of new scenes and sights was only equalled by that deep affection for the Island where she was born and where she will sleep. She loved her own-her own land and her own people. It is small wonder we loved her small wonder we are sorely smitten to-day Our hearts go out to those upon who the blow falls hardest. May God comfo l the stricken hearts of her own people, her father and the mother who bore her those who wait for her at home to-day and those in lands far overseas to who news comes slow of feet. For herself rest content. Religion she seldom spoke of. It spoke for her, and shone out in her daily life. Her faith was real and deep The Sacrament of the Lord's Supper was in especial measure a source of strength, a means of uplift to her.

[mis-scan to be corrected]

Often, of the blow fell, there was a prayer upon her lips that has been the- last stay

n flooded with the glory of Easter day-words thus once again hallowed us-

Jesu, Lover of my soul, Let me to Thy bosom fly.

y tell us Katie went no further than Do any of us need to go further? We leave her there with the Saviour who loved her for what she was, the Saviour Whom she loved, the Saviour '

e resurrection is the earnest of all life. We say her death is a cry, but we have stood beneath the

which is the supreme mystery. We her death is not the end, but her nee into life, because the world has

day. So our last word is not a word of gloom or doom : ours is a rare and certain hope. Her thought at the last was more of those that have gone than of those who are still here with us. They met her half-way, and hers was no lonely crossing of the dark-flowing river, no sorry home-coming. Glad did she live, and gladly, without a fear or a misgiving, did she die. She has fallen upon sleep. God comfort those that will lie awake to-night for thought of her, and may He lead them and us home, soon or late, to the heaven which is more of home to us now she is there !


Alexander McCormick, landlord of Ridgeway Hotel, Douglas, died suddenly on Wednesday, May 14th. For two months Mr McCormick had in indifferent health, but his passing was quite unexpected. At Eastertide he proceeded to Ramsey, his native place with the object of recuperating, and only returned to his home at the Ridgeway early in the week. On Wednesday morning he was apparently on the recovery, but was taken ill in the afternoon and death came very quickly. Ere entering the hotel business, Mr McCormick engaged extensively in horse dealing and in this connection he was very well-known throughout the Island, Cumberland and the North of Ireland. Some years ago he took over the Criterion Hotel, Douglas, and subsequently disposed of the goodwill. He then rented the Commercial Hotel, Laxey, and the Royal Hotel, Ramsey, conducting the businesses simultaneously. Early this year he sold out of the Commercial and took a letting of the Ridgeway, where he rapidly establishing a good connection. Good-natured almost to a fault, Mr McCormick was ever ready to lend a helping hand to his less fortunate fellows,and his genial disposition rendered him very popular. He was 36 years old, and leaves surviving a widow and several young children.


Death has removed from the Douglas community Mr John Bregazzi, of the firm of John Bregazzi and Sons, picture dealers and gilders. Born in Douglas about 70 years ago, Mr Bregazzi, with the exception of a few years spent in Liverpool, had his whole career in the chief town of the Isle of Man, and was one of the best known men locally. In the late 'eighties and early 'nineties he engaged extensively in building operations, and in conjunction with Mr Alexander Gill was responsible for the erection of the original Palace. During his youth and prime he was the finest tenor singer ever produced in the Isle of Man, and had he become a professional vocalist he would undoubtedly have achieved fame. Almost to the end his beautiful voice remained with him, though he had long abandoned concert singing. For some years past his health had failed him, and ar few weeks back he was compelled to keep to the house, the end coming on Friday, May 16th. Mr Bregazzi had a marvellous memory, and his stories concerning life in Douglas from fifty to sixty years ago were full of interest. He leaves surviving a widow, two sons, and one daughter.



Died June 5th, 1913,

When the news came that Mr John Christian Crellin, of Ballachurry, Andreas, had met his death by accident in London, on Thursday, June 5th, general grief was the outcome throughout the Island. Mr Crellin was a gentleman of the old school-courteous, cultured, considerate, and kindly. For many years he bore a somewhat prominent part in the public life in the Isle of Man, but he did so rather from a sense of duty than from any liking for publicity. Though very genial, he was rather retiring of disposition, and his tastes lay more in the direction of field sports and nature study than politics, Mr Crellin keenly felt the death of his wife in 1911, and his grief affected his general health to such purpose that he failed considerably and became much depressed. With a view of undergoing medical treatment, he some short time ago proceeded to London, and stayed at a house in Upper Montague-street. On Wednesday morning of last week he was visited by Dr Black, of Harley-street, and the two conversed cheerfully. They arranged to meet later, but as the doctor was leaving the house he was informed that Mr Crellin had fallen from the balcony outside the window of his room. Dr Black at once went to him, and found him unconscious, Mr Crellin was removed to a nursing home, and the next day he succumbed to the injuries occasioned by his fall. Passers by who observed the accident stated that Mr Crellin overbalanced and fell, and the probability is that as he stood on the balcony close to the protective railing, he was seized with giddiness and became incapable of saving himself.

Owing to the tragic manner in which the deceased gentleman came by his death, an inquest was rendered necessary, The inquiry was conducted at Marylebone, London, on Saturday. Evidence was given by Dr Black, who said that Mr Crellin was an old friend of his, Witness also gave a short summary of Mr Crellin's career, and continuing, said that Mr Crellin was staying in Upper Montague-street, where witness visited him on Wednesday morning, and they engaged in cheerful conversation. Witness arranged to meet Mr Crellin later, but before witness reached the front door he was informed that Mr Crellin had fallen from the balcony outside his window. Going to him, witness found him nearly unconscious and only able to murmur faintly, "Where am I?" The unfortunate gentleman was removed to a nursing home in Dorset-square, and died the following day from a fracture of the pelvis and other internal injuries, It was stated that the deceased gentleman had been nervous and depressed since the death of his wife in 1911, but had never shown any suicidal tendencies. Two witnesses who were in the street at the time of the accident stated that Mr Crellin overbalanced himself toward the street and fell to the ground, A verdict of " Accidental death " was returned.

The late John Christian Crellin was the only son of the late Dr John Frissel Crellin, of Orrysdale, Kirk Michael, and was born in the year 1853. he thus being 60 years old at the time of his death, The Crellins of Orrysdale are one of the oldest and most distinguished families in the Isle of Man, and members of it have rendered the State good service both in the Legislature and on the judicial Bench, One of Mr Crellin's ancestors was the famous Deemster Crellin, the distinguished Manx jurist, and his father achieved more than Insular celebrity as an antiquarian and naturalist-he was one of the founders of and a leading spirit in the now defunct Manx Society for publishing books and documents relating to the Isle of Man, Mr J. C. Crellin was educated in the first instance at King William's College, and he subsequently entered at Worcester College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A., and subsequently took his M. A, degree. In 1881 he was returned at a bye-election as one of the representatives of Michael Sheading in the House of Keys. and he without break held his seat for the constituency until 1907, when he, feeling that he was not in harmony with the views held by the majority of the sheading electors on the then burning subject of higher education, decided to retire fromthe Legislature. It is very probable that did not regret the occasion which afforded him an opportunity of giving up his seat, for though he ever conscientiously discharged his duties as a legislator, his tastes did not incline him to take a great interest in the work. At the time of his rement he was, with the exception of late Mr A. W. Moore, then Speaker of the House, the senior member of the House of Keys, and there is no doubt that had he continued his membership he would have been appointed Speaker when Mr Moore's death caused a vacancy in the office. By all sections of the House he was both respected and esteemed, and though in his political views he differed from the majority of his then colleagues, his impartiality and fitness were unquestioned and certainly he would have made a very dignified and able Speaker, In 1883 Mr Crellin was appointed to the of Captaincy of Ballaugh, and was placed on the Commission of the Peace for the Island. He was for many years a member of the Licensing Court, and subsequently served as the representative of the Peel district on the Licensing Appeal Court. Inheriting his father's tastes, Mr Crellin was a keen and well-informed antiquary, and he had the natural history of the Island at his finger ends. From its beginning he was a member of the Isle of Man Natural History and Antiquarian Society and for some time acted as secretary to the Zoologieal section. He contributed many valuable papers on various subjects which were published in the Proceedings. A sound and convinced Churchman, Mr Crellin was sympathetic with other forms of Christianity, and generally his views were broad upon all subjects that lead to legitimate difference of opinion. For instance, he was a Conservative in politics, yet upon occasions his vote in the House of Keys was cast in favour of measures Liberal of tendency which met with his approval, While still a young man, Mr Crellin became the owner of the fine estate of Ballachurry, Andreas, under the will of his relative, the late Mr William Watson Christian, some time Water-Bailiff of the Isle of Man-a judicial office now extinct, Mr Christian was a descendant of the great Manx patriot, Illiam Dhone, and was the possessor of a gold repeater watch which had belonged to the man who was done to death on Hango Hill to gratify the vengeance of the imperious Countess of Derby. Mr Crellin also had in his veins the blood of the great Manxman. About twenty-five years ago, Mr Crellin married one of the daughters of the late Col. Anderson, Receiver-General, and, as has been stated, her death two years ago came as a great blow to him, Their family consists of four sons, viz., Messrs J. F, Crellin, Ballachurr ; A. M. Crellin, in Florida, U.S.A. ; W. A. W. Crellin, lieutenant in the Sherwood Foresters stationed at Plymouth; and G. P, Crellin, of Ballacosnahan, Patrick, Mr J, C. Crellin was a man of remarkably handsome presence and fine physique, He stood over six feet in his stockings, was well knit and proportioned of body, and straight as a rush, His features were well cut and his countenance was almost perfect in its manly beauty, In his youth he was a fine athlete, and he was famous for his prowess with the gun and rod, The body was conveyed to the Island by the R.M.S. Viking on Monday afternoon, and the funeral, which was very largely attended. took place from Ballachurry on Tuesday.


At Noble's Hospital, on May 12th, 1913, Mr William Hutcheon, pharmaceutical chemist of Prospect-hill, Douglas, died after an illness of some weeks' duration. While attending to business he had an apolectic seizure, from which he never rallied, and his death had been expected at any time.. A few years ago Mr Hutcheon, who was 58 years old, took over the old-established pharmacy of Messrs W, A. Brearey and Son, and conducted it with much acceptance on the part of Douglas people, He was a gentleman of quiet disposition, and was earnest in his convictions, The funeral took place at the Borough Cemetery on Thursday.



Died May 23rd. 1913.

Mr George Watterson, a gentleman who was highly esteemed and respected throughout the Isle of Man, died at his residence, No. 6 Brighton-terrace, Douglas, on Friday night, May 23rd. For several years Mr Watterson was station master under the Isle of Man Railway' Company at Peel, and in due course he was promoted to the charge of Douglas Station, eventually becoming the company's traffic manager. In all these positions he discharged his duties so ably and courteously as to secure the confidence of the directorate, the esteem of his fellow-officials, and the appreciation of the general public. Some few years ago he retired upon pension, and spent the remainder of his days quietly. For some time past he had not been in good health, and his death was not unexpected. Mr Watterson, who was twice married, leaves a widow and several children. He was one of the best-known and most proficient Freemasons in the Isle of Man. His Masonic career opened with his initiation in St. German's Lodge, Peel, and he in time became Master' of his mother lodge. On removing to Douglas, he joined St. Trinian's Lodge, and took a deep interest in its working. For many years he was principal installing master at the annual ceremony of installation of W.M., and no Past Master in the Island was his superior in knowledge and delivery of the beautiful ritual associated with the work. He also acted as an installing Master at the St. German's installations up to a couple of years ago; indeed, he to the end main-tained the deepest interest in the welfare of his mother lodge. In 1903 his great services to Insular Freemasonry were recognised by the then Provincial Grand Master of the Island (the Hon. Arthur Stanley, M.P.), who appointed him Provincial Senior Grand Warden. He was also a Past First Principal of the Athole Chapter (Douglas). In 1911 his brethren of the St. Trinian's Lodge presented him with a very handsome album address, superbly illuminated, and autographed by the lodge members. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon, and the large and representative character of the attendance evidenced the wide and great respect in which Mr Watterson was held. The coffin containing his remains was borne by employees of the Railway Company from Brighton-terrace to St. George's Church, where the service in church and at the grave in the church-yard was conducted by the Rev Canon Kermode, vicar. Past Provincial Grand Masters of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, of which Mr Watterson was also a member, were the bearers from the gateway to the church, and from the church to the graveside. Among those who attended to pay the last tribute of respect were all the principal officials of the Railway Company, and most of the company's employees who were off duty. There was also a very large gathering of Freemasons and Oddfellows.


Died May 1st. 1913

Ramsey Wesleyans have attended two funeral services lately, both having reference to the death of ministers. The circumstance is very unusual here. On Sunday, May 18th, prayers were being offered in several chapels for the Rev H. T. Brumwell, but he had passed away before the services began. Mr Brummell's condition has scarcely been normal since he came here in September, 1911. In some respects he seemed very strong-he was even athletic-but there was a suggestion that the machine was not in perfect order. Up to a few months ago, however, the deceased gentleman took his duties, but about then he found it necessary to relax. He bore up bravely and hopefully, and did not seem to have thought of giving in until he would be obliged to. He went to England for a month's rest, and there his case was pronounced to be serious, and be was advised to have a cancerous growth removed, Three weeks ago this operation was performed in a nursing home in Liverpool, and the patient survived it for fifteen days. Mrs Brumwell was in Liverpool at the time of the operation and its fatal termination, and other members of the family live there or are in easy reach. The interment, therefore, took place at Liverpool, and the Rev B. Edwards attended to represent the Ramsey circuit. A memorial service was held in Waterloo-road Chapel at the hour of the funeral, conducted by the Rev H. C. Weaver, B.A. Those present felt the occasion was a very trying one. The late Mr Brumwell was of a very genial disposition ; he was pre-eminently man of peace, who would not quarrel with anybody. He was very kindly received throughout the circuit, and his seemingly untimely death is much regretted. One of the officials said when his death became known that he seemed to have been sent by Providence to the circuit to get the Michael and Sulby new chapel and school schemes through. Difficulties had arisen, and matters were almost at a standstill. Many a time the deceased superintendent got over a difficulty by the very avoidance of strict procedure, and thus got things done. He was more anxious to have things done than to stickle for law and order. Mrs Brumwell and family have many with them in their sad experience.-For the present the Rev J. B. Edwards is taking the duties of superintendent, and the Rev Mr Hines is fulfilling Mr Brumwell's appointments. Mr Brumwell was asked to stay another year after Conference. The stewards on hearing of the late superintendent's death entertained the idea that Mr Edwards might be superintendent for next year, but we understand Mr Edwards will not at present entertain the idea.


Died May 16th. 1914.

Mr Davidson passed away in the early hours of Friday May 16th, at the age of eighty years. He was a most interesting personality. He shone in social private life even more than public. He was remarkably vigorous, both in body and mind, up to a few years ago. once said to the writer that he had never been ill a day in his life. I said I was sorry for him. He was even then near the end of that experience, for he was shortly afterward temporarily incapacitated. Almost suddenly his powers gave way a few years ago, and the man who used to be vigorous in body and alert in mind became quite shaky. From that state there was a partial recovery, but the man was never the same again-pulpit and platform efforts had to be abandoned. For some years Mr Davidson maintained a sort of "hobbling march" on the end of the bridge of life where the broken arches are, until at last he peacefully sank into the "great tide of eternity which floweth beneath." Mr Davidson came to Ramsey as superintendent minister of the circuit. The lay officials of the time were pleased with the appointment. " Robert Davidson is coming," they said with much satisfaction, " and he will be chairman of the district." He administered the affairs of the circuit in excellent fashion. His superior as a circuit plan maker has not been known in Isle of Man. He was neat, accurate, considerate of both men and places. Mr Davidson got through his term in tire circuit satisfactorily. At his last quarterly meeting, when a vote of thanks and appreciation had been passed, he replied (with droll Scotch humour) that, like the apostle, he had been "cast on a desert island, and the barbarous people showed him much kindness." After an absence of a few years, Mr Davidson came back to Ramsey as supernumerary. It was often said that he greatly improved when he became a " local " preacher. He was brim full of humour, and loved to tell a good story. On the platform he made good use of this tendency, but he had the Scotch idea as to what was fitting in the pulpit. Even after the deceased gentleman was rendered unable to preach he occupied himself in encouraging good movements. His kindly presence was to be reckoned on at almost all meetings of his church or the united churches. In homes of sickness and bereavement his kindness was manifested ; indeed he evidenced the possession of-

A heart at leisure from itself
To soothe and sympathise.

An illustrated article on Ramsey Methodism which appeared in the " Methodist Times " a while ago, described Mr Davidson as " The grand old man of Ramsey Methodism," and the Rev J. R. Ellis, on the day of the funeral, said that Ramsey would never be the same to some, present now that Mr Davidson had left it.



Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received MNB Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2003