[From Manx Quarterly, #12 June 1913]
Died December 2nd. 1912.
Mr Mark Parkinson, of Brighton-terrace, Douglas, joined the Great Majority early on Monday, Dec. 2nd, at the ripe age of 75. After serving his apprenticeship as a printer in a Lancashire town, Mr Parkinson, while still a youth, embarked upon journalism, and quite half a century ago was well-known in County Palatine newspaper circles as an able and energetic reporter. For a brief period, too, he was engaged on the reporting staff of a journal published in the South of England. In the very early 'seventies he came to Douglas, and joined the " Mona's Herald " (in those days owned and edited by the late Mr John Christian Fargher) as a reporter, subsequently transferring his services in a like capacity the " Manx Sun," then controlled by the late Mr Peter Curphey. Mr Parkinson had the well-deserved reputation of a smart all-round journalist; he was a fine reporter, a descriptive writer of much merit, and as a paragraphist he was wonderfully crisp and bright-he had a splendid sense of humour, which ever stood him well. By his confreres in journalism, and by those people brought into contact with him in the course of his professional duties, he was highly esteemed, while in social circles he had a great vogue. Over thirty years ago he abandoned newspaper work and set up in business as a printer, newsagent, and stationer, retiring about half-a-dozen years ago. He was twice married, and leaves a widow, but no children. The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, interment being at Kirk Braddan Cemetery.
Died December 3rd, 1912.
Death has claimed a highly-respected resident of Douglas in the person of Mr William Karran Kermode, coal merchant, who passed away at Highbury, Albany-road, on December 3rd. Mr Kermode, who was 74 years old, in early manhood repaired from the Isle of Man to Australia, but did not make a long sojourn at the Antipodes. Returning to the Island, he commenced business in partnership with the late Mr John Kerruish (father of Mr W. M. Kerruish, H.K.) as coal merchants. About forty years ago Mr Kerruish withdrew from the partnership, and the business was carried with great success by Mr Kermode alone until quite recently, when he was joined in it by his son, Mr W. Kermode. Commercially, the late Mr Kermode prospered in rapid and substantial fashion, amassing considerable wealth. His business-methods were of the straightest description, and no dealer in the Island more widely trusted, both in buying and selling. Personally, he was very retiring of character, and though he might have successfully aspired to the highest positions in Manx public life that his compatriots have it in their power to confer, he ever avoided the limelight. He was a Justice of the Peace, but did not often sit on the Bench. Though he reached an age in excess of the Psalmist's three score and ten, Mr Kermode was not a robust man, and for some years prior to death his state of health was far from satisfactory. Privately, he was kindly and charitable, both in word and deed, and particularly was he considerate of his employees. He married a Miss Creer (sister of the late Mr R. W. Creer, stone mason), who survives him. One of .his sons is Canon Kermode, M.A., the respected Vicar of St. George's, Douglas, while another, as has been stated, is in the business established by his father. The funeral took place on Friday, December Eth.
Died December 22nd 1912.
A cable message was received on 'rues-day stating that Mr William Watterson, of Bishop, California, had died on Dec. 22nd. Mr Watterson was the eldest son of the late Mr Mark Watterson, of Knockaloe, Patrick, and himself and several brothers and sisters settled in California, and have been identified with the progress and prosperity of that district for a great many years. Mr Watterson and a nephew and brother (Mr George Watterson) visited the Island two years ago, and renewed acquaintance with their Manx relatives and friends. Mr Watterson was a man of singularly loveable character, and was possessed of great business ability and integrity. He leaves a widow and several children.
FURTHER PARTICULARS. "The Inyo Register ' published in Bishop, Inyo County, California, of Dec. 26th, contains the following particulars concerning the death of Mr William Watterson, brother to Mrs A. J. Ridge, Douglas, from which the following is extracted :-
The lingering illness of William Watterson terminated fatally on Sunday forenoon, pneumonia intervening to add its complications to his troubles, and causing the end.
A brief biographical sketch shows that he was born in Peel, Isle of Man, on November 10th, 1842. On February 28th, 1869, he was married to Miss Eliza Quayle, and that same year the bride and groom came to make their home in America. They came to California. via the Isthmus of Panama, arriving in San Francisco on June 3rd, 1869. They made their home in the vicinity of Stockton for several years, then at Delano, Kern County, where Mr Watterson and his brother Mark were engaged in the sheep business. They came to Inyo in 1886, buying farm property which was thereafter improved and made more valuable. Success attended their labours ; since retiring from active work on the farm ai range, the family home has been in Bishop. Of Mr Watterson's brothers, James died in Benton, Mono County, leaving a family now well-known residents of Bishop ; Mark sold his interests here, and went to his native land to spend his closing days ; George is the head of the prominent hardware house of George Watterson Company. Mrs White Smith of Bishop, and Mrs Arthur Ridge, who has been here, were sisters -of the deceased.
The surviving members of the family of which he was the head are his companion of so many years ; sons : Wilfred W., president of the Inyo County Bank, present head of the municipal government, and one of the county's foremost citizens ; and Mark Q. Watterson, cashier of the bank named ; and four daughters : Mrs C. E. Kunze, now of Berkeley Mrs J. C. Clausen, of Los Angeles ; Miss Elsie Watterson, and Miss Mary Watterson, of Bishop.
Men like William Watterson leave their impress on the time in which they live. His passing is a loss not only to those immediately bereft but to the community for whose advancement he has done much. Quiet and modest in nature, he found his reward in consciousness of duty done, in satisfaction at his part in shaping the drift of community events toward better things. Whatever the cause, if it were worthy of support it could rely upon his co operation. It is our sincere belief that a individual has done more, or has wielded; stronger influence through personality alone for progress in this valley than Mr Watterson His convictions were strong, and though never intruded were ever weighty in affairs. In higl and consistent character, he was eminently qualified to assist in advancing the permanent interests of the community favoured by the residence of himself and family in it. He lived uprightly, and in the respect and esteem of all, and he died "the death of the righteous," a Christian whose life was in accord with his professions. One of the finest men who has come among us has been taken.
The funeral on Tuesday was -conducted by Rev A. P. Beall, assisted by Rev S.. S. Patterson and Rev C. S. Maddox, at the Methodist Church. The Masons conducted the service at the cemetery, Mr Watterson having been- a member of Winnedumah Lodge for- the last nineteen years.
The funeral of Miss Callow, for many years organist of Onchan Parish Church, took place Saturday, December 28th, and was largely attended. The Rev R. Wakeford, Vicar of Onchan, officiated amid many manifestations of sympathy. On entering the church, the choir very touchingly rendered the hymn, "Lie still, beloved, lie still," and, during the service, Now the labourer's task is o'er " was also sung. At the conclusion of the service, the dead March in " Saul " was played by Miss Caley, who presided at the organ. The mourners were the sisters (2), brother, and nephews of- the deceased. Others present were the Clerk of the Rolls, Messrs Edward Corkhill, G. A. Thomason, W. Callister, H. Callister, W. Corlett, D. Mackay, Wm. Lewin, W. H Lawson, J. C. Cowley, H. H. Dolman, W. A. Craine, J. Kaighin, G. Barron, W. Watterson. J. Keene, J. H. Skillicorn, John Skillicorn, P. Quiggin, R. Kelly, H. Foster, E. Quayle, J. Halsa, W. Corrin, A. Nivison, Mrs Rogers, Miss Coppell, Miss Broughton, Misses Skilli-corn, Mrs Dursley, Mrs Stott, Mrs and Miss Gorry, Mrs Skillicorn, Mrs Cowin, Mrs Kelly, Mrs Ritchie, Mrs Wakeford, Mrs Lewin, Mrs J. Cowley, Misses Caley, Miss Scott, Miss Spen-cer, Mrs Minay, Mrs Quiggin, Mrs W. Kelly, and others. Wreaths, etc., were sent by Lord and Lady Raglan, the Vicar and Mrs Wakeford, the Church choir, Mrs Garrett and family, the brothers and sisters of the deceased. - At the morning service in Onchan Church on Sunday, the preacher, the Rev North Cox, made a very appropriate and touching reference to the late Miss Callow.
Mr William Horrocks, architect, Douglas, died at his residence, Woodbourne-square, on October 17th. While about to take the 2-15 p.m. train for Ramsey, he had a seizure which necessitated his conveyance home. Dr Gardiner was quickly in attendance on him, and he rallied somewhat, but there was a lapse into unconsciousness, which continued to the end. About eight years ago Mr Horrocks had a severe attack of neuritis, which left him in a. weak condition of health. At the beginning of the summer he sustained a severe blow in the death of his wife, and though he assiduously attended to business, it was observable that he did so under great disadvantage. In addition to his practice as an architect, he was engaged in secretarial duties connected with the Grand Theatre Company, the Douglas Steam Ferries, Ltd., the Douglas Head Marine Drive Ltd., and the Mitre Hotel (Ramsey) Ltd. Mr Horrocks was an unassuming and courteous gentleman, and was highly respected by all who had the privilege of his acquaintance.
Mr Harry Bregazzi, of the firm of Bregazzi and Sons, picture dealers, Prospect-hill, Douglas, died at a late hour on December 5th. His condition of health had for a considerable time past been unsatisfactory, but except for brief intervals of confinement to the house by illness, he attended regularly to business, and his death was quite unexpected. On Thursday night he visited the Grand Picturedrome, and returned to his residence. Windsor-terrace, at the conclusion of the perform ance. For some little time he engaged in cheerful conversation with visitors to the house, and was about to retire for the night when he was suddenly seized. His condition immediately became serious, and medical aid was at once procured. Everything possible was done with a view to restoration, but without avail, and he passed away shortly before midnight. Mr Bregazzi was well-read and informed, and his kindly and genial disposition caused him to be held in high respect and esteem by a large circle of acquaintance.
Died December 27th, 1912.
The death occurred on Friday morning, Dec. 27th, after a short illness, of Mr John Kneale, Captain of the Parish of Andreas. Up to within the past fortnight or so Mr Kneale had enjoyed good health, and indeed had been wonderfully smart and active for his 87 years, but on the morning of his death he became very unwell and subsequently unconscious, and he remained unconscious to the end. Mr Kneale was the son of Mr Patrick Kneale, of Ballalheaney, Andreas, and was born in 1825. He was the representative of a long-established Manx family, who can trace their descent as long back as any family in the Island. Mr Kneale was a courtly country gentleman of the old school, with decidedly liberal views for his class, and though by no means ambitious for public distinctions, he had borne his part in the service of the community. He was much the senior ex-member of the House of Keys, having taken his seat in that assembly as far back as 1872, during the life of the first popularly-elected House. A vacancy in the representation of Ayre arose through the death of Mr William Callister, and after a contest with Mr John Bridson Callister, son of the late member, Mr Kneale was returned to the House. He did not remain a legislator for long, however, and retired at the following general election, in 1871. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1898, and discharged the duties of that position in a manner that commanded general respect. A short time ago, however, he expressed his wish to be left off the rota. In 1902, on the death of the late Mr R. Corlett, H.K., he was appointed to the captaincy of his native parish. He had also hold office on the various local parochial boards, and was particularly interested in educational matters; and at about this time four years ago he was the recipient of a presentation from his fellow-parishioners in recognition of his long and faithful public services. The deceased, since the death of his father, farmed Ballatheaney, which the Kneales have owned and where they have resided over four hundred years; but he was always more interested in literary matters than in any others, and was a widely read and exceedingly cultured old gentleman. His wife, a daughter of the late Mr Goldsmith, merchant, Ramsey, predeceased him a few years ago. He has two sons, Mr Stanley Kneale, of Williams Deacons Bank, Manchester, and Mr Lawrence Kneale (Ballalheaney), and two daughters, Mrs A. Sparrow, of Teignmouth, and Miss Margaret Kneale (Ballalheaney). The funeral took place at Andreas Parish Church, and was attended by a large number of persons from all over the North of the Island. The Archdeacon (Rector of Andreas) officiated.
We were greatly shocked to receive a cablegram announcing the death of Mrs Clara Cregeen - Wood, relict of Mr Albert C. Wood, and youngest daughter of the late Dr. Jonathan Cregeen, of Castletown, which occurred on December 26th, at Brisbane. Mrs Cregeen-Wood had spent about 25 years in Tasmania and Australia, and was in England and the Isle of Man about two years ago, where she renewed acquaintance with a large number of relatives and friends, who will be very sorry to hear of her decease. Her only son, Mr Albert Wood, is a Government surveyor at Brisbane, and her only daughter is Mrs Craumer, of Battersea, who spent a month last summer at Ramsey with her aunt, Miss Wood, of the Imperial Hotel.
[Photo courtesy Jean Corkett]
Died January 12th, 1913.
It is with deep regret we record the death of Mr William Kneen, of Croit-e-Caley, Rushen, which took place on Sunday, Jan. 12th, at the advanced age of 82 years. Mr Kneen was a most successful farmer and agriculturist, withwide and varied experience. Farming first Colby, he subsequently went to Ballelby, Patrick, where he remained 19 years. This was followed by ten years at Ballagyr, Peel, and afterwards he returned to the ancestral farm at Croit-e-Caley. Though a Wesleyan Methodist, he always took a lively interest in the affairs of the Established Church, and as for many years was a churchwarden of Rushen, under both Vicar Kneale and Vicar Leece. He was for a time a member of the School Board of Rushen and also of the Parish Council, and his thorough knowledge of educational and sanitary matters was of much assistance to his colleagues. A member of the Mona Rushen Tent of Rechabites of over 50 years standing, he was held in high esteem. He has filled almost every elective office in the tent, and a, for many years a District Delegate. He was a Past District Chief Ruler, and until at a year ago one of the District Trustees. A man of exceptional business ability, unserving zeal, and a keen debater, coupled with a wide knowledge of the law of Rechabitism, his opinions were respected and his caustic wit feared. Disinterested to a degree, was always anxious to be of service to his fellow-brethren by whom his memory will remain fragrant. He has on several occasions attended the High Moveable Conference the best honour the district could confer upon him. His father the late Mr Richard Kneen was a " local" preacher of considerable repute, and one of the founders of the Mona Rushen Tent 53 years ago. Mr Wm. Kneen in early life became a member of the Wesleyan Connexion, and was an adherent of the little church at Colby. He was a class leader and trustee, and a generous contributor to the funds of the church. A member of the Quarter Board, he has held the office of circuit steward and served on many important committees. He was also a member of the Synod and of the Methodist Church Council. In any meeting his rising was the signal for instant attention. As a man he was upright, honest, and generous ; a hearty fighter, though not lenient, he was always just. Predeceased by his wife three years ago, he has three sons, viz., Mr Wm. Kneen, Croit-e-Caley ; Mr R. T. Kneen, Castletown ; Mr J J . Kneen, Liverpool ; and one daughter, Mrs George Hall, of Waterloo.
On the same day Mr Richard Kneen, builder and contractor (brother to the late Mr Wm. Kneen, Croit-e-Caley), died at Blundellsands, aged 72 years. Deceased was especially successful in business, and constructed many up-to-date, residences and other buildings at St Anne's and Harwich (near Bolton). He was formerly in partnership with Mr Richard Costain (of Blundellsands), now carrying on business as Messrs Richard Costain and Sons, and who have the contract for erecting St Ninian's Church, Douglas. The remains of the late Mr Richard Kneen were also interred on Wednesday afternoon, at St Luke's Churchyard, Blundellsands.
The funeral of the late Mr William Kneen took place at Rushen Churchyard on Wednesday afternoon, and despite the inclement weather the general public attended in large numbers to pay their last tribute of respect to the deceased. The chief mourners were deceased's three sons, Mr and Mrs Thomas Kneen (brother and sister-in-law), Mrs Gawne (Homefield) and Miss Kneen (Castletown), sisters, besides a number of other relatives. The bearers were four nephews of the deceased, viz., Mr John Costain (Blundellsands), Mr William A. Kelly (Ballaqueeney), Mr J. K. Gawne (Peel), and Mr Richard Gawne (Ballawoods). The Rechabites were represented by Mr James Craine, P.D.C.R. (Laxey), Mr James Caugherty (District secretary), Douglas, Mr C. H. Kay (District trea-urer), Douglas, Mr Thomas E. Moore, P.D.C.R. (secretary Mona Rushen Rechabite Tent), and a large number of members. Mr J. Qualtrough, H.K. (senior circuit steward), Mr Richard Qualtrough (secretary to the Wesleyan Quarterly Board), and the Rev C. H. Leece (vicar of Rushen) were also present. The services at the house and at the graveside was feelingly conducted by the Rev H. G. W. Weston (superintendent Wesleyan minister).
Died January 28th, 1913.
Word was received on January 31st, too late for insertion in the Examiner, of the death at a nursing home, 33 Beaumont-street, London, W., from heart failure, after an operation, of the Rev Robert Faraker, M.A., for many years Vicar of Emmanuel Church, Paddington, and latterly Vicar of North Wooton, Shepton Mallet, Somersetshire, at the age of 69 years. The Rev Robert Faraker was the eldest son of the late Mr Robert Faraker, shoemaker, Peel, and was born in 1844. He entered King William's College in October, 1858, and afterwards was an exhibitioner at Queen's College, Cambridge, where he took his degree of B.A. in 1863. He entered the Church in 1867, his first appointment being to New Bury, Lancashire, in 1867. Other appointments were to Roxton, Bedfordshire, from 1871 to 1875. He did a fine work in Paddington from 1886 to 1904, and was instrumental in building a new church and vicarage, and making his church the centre of a network of church and social organisation. He was a convinced total abstainer, and was identified with the London Temperance Hospital, where all diseases are treated without alcohol. He was twice married. By his first wife, he had two children-son and daughter-both of whom died. His second wife survives him. There are few Peel families who have risen higher than the several brothers of the deceased. Lewis, after being educated at King William's College, took his degrees at Cambridge, and is now head master of a school at Lowestoft; John. Joseph, after serving an apprentice-ship as a chemist, took a surgeon's diploma, and is practising in London, having succeeded Dr W. Cregeen-Faraker, now of Peel, at Rotherhithe; William Edward, after serving his time as a draper with Frisby, Dyke, and Co., in Liverpool, had a partnership in a large drapery warehouse in London, but he died in Germany when on a visit to his son. who was being educated there; and Frederick, the youngest, entered the Civil Service, and now lives at Enfield. Their only sister, Charlotte, is married at Lowestoft.
The following is from "The Daily Mining Journal," Ishpeming, U.S.A., of December 30th last:-
Joseph E Dobson, who was accidentally shot in the arm by a companion, near Silver Creek, eleven miles south of Ishpeming, where they were hunting rabbits last Thursday, died Saturday morning in the Ishpeming hospital. The shot. from the gun had shattered the bones in and above the elbow of Mr Dobson's right arm, and amputation was necessary.
Although Mr Dobson was seriously hurt, he walked more than a mile before a team could be secured to take him to the hospital. He suffered greatly and lost considerable blood, but it was not at first thought that the wound would result in his death.
Dobson, who was thirty-two years of age, and his companion boarded at the home of George Garrett, on Excelsior-street. He was a native of the Isle of Man, and came out from there four years ago in company with relatives. His parents, also a widow and one child, are living in the old country.
The remains were removed from the hospital to the home of his brother, Richard, at 640 Morris-street, from where the funeral took place on December 31st, under direction of Court Widows Friend, Ancient Order of Foresters, of which the deceased was a member. The funeral service was held in the First Methodist Episcopal Church