[From Manx Quarterly, #9 1910]


Mr William George Greene, of Oatlands, Santon, died at his residence on September 27th. He was the eldest son of the late Dr Geo. Greene, of Ramsey, and some 24 years ago proceeded to South Africa. After a ten years' sojourn in the Transvaal he removed to Matabeleland, and there engaged in pioneer work, including the opening out of mines. His experience in this connection was an exciting one, and he bore a part in much fighting with the natives, especially in the operations against Lobengula and the suppression of the Matabele rising. He served with the famous Jefford's Horse, which body of volunteers had a distinguished record. He afterwards held the position of general manager of the Selukwe Mine, and amassed a considerable fortune. He purchased in the Isle of Man the Stockfield estate, which was ancestral property on the side of his mother, who prior to marriage was a Miss Quaye. He also acquired by purchase Oatlands farm, and expended a large sum of money in stocking and improving it. Broken down in health, he returned to his native Isle a year or so ago, and took up his residence at Oatlands. The funeral took place on September 29th, interment being at Kirk Michael, where the family vault is situate. Messrs F. McKenzie Greene, of South Africa, and W. Godfrey Greene, of Oatlands (formerly of Lough-ny-Yeigh, Lezayre), brothers of the deceased gentleman, were the principal mourners. Mr William George Greene was 46 years old.


Died October 8th, 1910,

The Isle of Man Constabulary is the poorer by the death of Police-Sergeant John Ellison, which took place on Saturday, October 8th. Sergeant Ellison, who was stationed in Douglas, had not been in good health for some months prior to death, but with great fortitude he remained at the post of duty up to a little over a fortnight ago, His condition then became so serious as to necessitate removal to Noble's Isle of Man Hospital on October 2nd. He was suffering from a- very painful malignant disease internal of character, and on Thursday of last week, with a. view to giving him a chance of recovery, the staff of the Hospital successfully performed an operation. The debilitated condition of the patient, however, was such that he sank rapidly, and on Saturday night he passed away peacefully. Sergeant Ellison was born 47 years ago at Cronk Moar, Dolby, where his father was a farmer. In his youth he worked on the land, but subsequently removed to Douglas and for a brief time engaged in the hackney car trade. Then he joined the Liverpool Police Force, but in the summer of 1887 he resigned from the Liverpool Force and joined the Isle of Man Constabulary on the occasion of the increase of the Douglas Force by six constables. He ever proved himself a zealous, courteous, and tactful officer, and in the discharge of his police duty, as in his private life, he gained the respect of his comrades of the Constabulary and of the general public. In February, 1906, he was promoted to the rank of sergeant, and this advancement involved resignation of the position of an attendant in the House of Keys, which he had for some years held. He loaves a widow to mourn his loss. The funeral took place on Wednesday morning from Sergeant Ellison's late residence, 110 Buck's-road. It was very largely attended among; those who joined in the cortege being forty members of the Isle of Man Constabulary, in uniform, under Supt. Cain. Several retired officers of police were also present. The chief mourners were; Mr and Mrs R. Ellison (brother), Mr and Mrs S. Ellison (brother), Miss Ellison (sister), Police-Sergeant Duke (brother-in-law) and Master Duke, Mrs Reid, Mrs Ashplant, Mrs Cain (sister-in-law), Miss Peers, Mrs Cowin, Mr and Mrs Faragher, Mr J. Gelling, and Mr J. Costain (Liverpool). Others present were the High-Bailiff of Douglas (Mr J. S. Gell), Car Inspector Mr J. Coole, Mr W. J. Moore (Poor Relief Inspector), Mr W. A. Waid Mr T. W. Shimmin (lockman), Mr R. Williamson, junr., Councillor Moore, Mr G. R. Cawte, and many other well-known townspeople. The coffin was borne by four of the deceased's comrades in relays walking behind the hearse, followed by the other sergeants and constables. There were many wreaths of flowers from relatives and sympathising friends, including one of immortelles from the Isle of Man Constabulary. The interment was at Braddan Cemetery, where the burial service was conducted by the Rev ti. Robinson and the Rev Canon Moore.


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2002