[From Manx Quarterly #6, 1909]
Died March 6th, 1909.
Throughout the parish of Braddan and in Douglas, the intelligence that Mrs Bridson, wife of Mr Thomas J. Bridson, of Harcroft, had died on March 6th, in Manchester, after an operation, occasioned deep regret. Mrs Bridson was a lady in the prime of life, of good physique and very active habits, and nobody outside her family and the circle of her intimate friends had the faintest idea that she was suffering from illness. Some few years ago, however, she underwent a surgical operation in respect of an internal complaint, but she evidently made a complete recovery, and indeed up to quite lately she was able to devote much of her time to open-air pursuits, and to exercise such as only people of sound constitution can safely engage in. About a fortnight ago she went to London on business, and while in town became ill. She consulted a medical man, who advised her to see the Manchester specialist who had operated upon her on a previous occasion. Accordingly she repaired to Manchester, and her surgeon, on examining her, advised the immediate performance of another operation. A lady of strong nerve and good courage, she without demur accepted the advice, and the operation took place on Wednesday of last week, and was apparently successful in character. But on recovery from the effects of the anæsthetic which had been administered, a change for the worse set in, and the patient began to sink. Mr Bridson, who had been advised by telegraph of the intended operation, crossed to England, and arrived in Manchester on Wednesday night. His wife was quite conscious when he saw her, but she gradually sank, and on Saturday she passed away quietly in her husband's presence. Mrs Bridson leaves four children, all under the age of 16. Two of them boys are at Pocklington School, while the others are being educated at home. Mrs Bridson was a prominent and active member of the Isle of Man Hunt, and she frequently followed the hounds on horseback, she being an accomplished equestrienne. She took a great interest in work connected with Braddan Parish Church, where she was a regular worshipper. Socially, she was in great request, her charm of manner and her cultivated intelligence rendering her company most agreeable. She entertained liberally at Harcroft, her husband's beautiful residence, and it was her especial delight to annually have with her the adult and juvenile members of the choir of Kirk Braddan. Her remains were brought to the Island by the steamer from Liverpool on Tuesday.
Amid manifestations of grief, the mortal remains of Mrs T. J. Bridson were followed to the burial place in Braddan Churchyard. Amongst those present were the Speaker of the House of Keys (Mr A. W. Moore, C.V.O.), Mr A. Rigby, H.K., Councillors Corlett and Sharp, Messrs J. H. Cubbon, M. Hampton, T. Cubbon, J. P. Smith, T. Whiteside, E. Emett, F. W. Harrison, W. Ashburner, G. J. A. Brown, R. H. Milner, E. T. Kissack, P. Christian, A. Bargery, S. Wilson, J. H. Clarke, W. 14`. Dickinson, J. Royston, and AV. Cowin and J. T. Kinvig (tenants). The chief mourners were Mr T. J. Bridson (husband) and Masters Gerald and Jock Bridson (sons). A service was held in the Braddan Church, at which the Vicar, assisted by the Rev J. G. Pope and the curate of Braddan, officiated. By special request, the Vicar of Maughold, a great friend of the departed lady, read the committal service. Wreaths were sent by: Her Husband and Children; her Mother and Sister; Mrs Stephen Clucas, Spring Valley; Mrs and Miss Holmes, Port Soderick; Mr and Mrs Arthur Craine, Ballasalla; the Organist and Choir of Braddan Parish Church ; Mrs Brearey and Family, Springfield; the Maids and Men at Harcroft ; Mr J. Cubbon and Family, Holm Lea; Mrs W. Clarke and Family, Brynwood; Miss E. Bridson and Miss Trimble, Allan Bank; Messrs J. and J. Robinson, Nelson-street; Mr and Mrs A. Longbotham, Halifax; Mr and Mrs Kermode, The Priory; ; Canon and Mrs Moore and Family, The Vicarage; Miss Fleming and Family, Cronkbourne-road; Mr and Mrs Johns and Family, Cleveland Lodge; Mrs and Miss Johns, Hawardon-avenue; Mr and Mrs Cowle, Harold Towers; Master Lucas Cowle, Harold Towers; Miss C. Greensill, Windsor-terrace; Mr and Mrs Royston and Family, The Hermitage; Mr and Mrs Kissack and Family, Eyreton; Mr J. and Miss E. Kissack, Crank Urleigh; Mr and Mrs T. Clague, Valetta; Mrs and the Misses Moore, Cronkbourne; Miss Todd and Miss Cowin, Ingleby; Mr and Mrs R. F. Douglas, The Elms; Mrs and Miss Nuttall and Mr Cottle ; Misses Rowe ; .Mr Bacon, Seafield; Mrs P. Fisher; and Mr and Mrs Drinkwater.
The hearse, which was supplied by Mr Collister, was driven by the Harcroft coachman (Clarke) ; and Mr H. Cowle, a close friend, superintended the, arrangements.
We regret to record the death of the Rev John Corlett, Rural Dean of Peel, and Chaplain of St. John's, which took place in his residence, St. John's, on Tuesday, Feb. 23rd, at the age of 77 years. The late Rev John Corlett was educated at St. Bees, and his first clerical appointment was as curate of St. Matthew's, Leeds, in 1855. He was in that year ordained a deacon, and the year following he became a priest. In 1858, he was appointed curate of St. Stephen's, Sulby, and from 1859 to 1866 was perpetual curate of Cronk-y-Voddy. In 1866 he received the appointment which he held until his death, that of H.M. Chaplain and perpetual curate of St. John's. Since 1896 he has been Rural Dean of Peel.
The reverend gentleman took a deep interest in local affairs. In educational matters he displayed a particular zeal and worked untiringly in the cause. He was, too, a prominent Oddfellow, and he was a Past Provincial Grand Master of the Order.
He leaves two sons, one of whom is a clergyman in York, and the other an engineer in Manchester.
There passed away, on December 24th, a well-known Douglas man, Mr Robert Gawne. The late Mr Gawne, who was 67 years of age, had carried on a brass foundry business in Queen-street for the past thirty years or more. Mr Gawne was a native of the South of the Island, coming to Douglas in early manhood from Colby. He was one of the few living who witnessed the explosion of the brig Lily on Kitterland, which resulted in the loss of a number of lives. He was one of the first to be enrolled in the Manx Artillery Corps, under Captain Torrance. Mr Gawne had many friends, and he was a prominent member of the first Artillery Band. The interment took place, at Braddan Cemetery on Dec. 27th, 1908, and was well attended, among others present being a number of Oddfellows, of which order he was a member. The form of service used by the order at the burial of the dead was read by G.M. W. C. Craine. The Rev C. H. Leece officiated at the graveside. A number of beautiful floral tributes and crosses were sent by friends and relatives.
Died February 14th, 1909.
Mr Edmund R. Colebourn, of Roseleigh, Douglas, died after an illness which lasted for about three months, on February 14th. In November he became unwell, and his medical attendant diagnosed that he was suffering from pulmonary consumption. The course of the disease was unusually rapid, and by Christmas it was apparent that any check of moment to the progress of the fell disease in his system was impossible. He bore up wonderfully well under the knowledge that he was doomed, and his passing was a peaceful one. ltlr Cole bourn was the elder son of the late Mr E. J. Colebourn, cork merchant, Douglas. He was educated at the Douglas Grammar School and King William's College, and on leaving the latter institution, some twenty years ago, he became a pupil of Messrs W. A. Brearey and Sons, pharmaceutical chemists, Douglas. On attaining his majority, he came into possession of considerable real property in Douglas, and the demands upon his time, which the management of this entailed, impelled him to abandon his intention to qualify as a chemist. To the end, however, he retained his interest in chemistry, and had more than a dilettante acquaintance with the science. A good all-round sportsman, he excelled as a bowler and an angler. Than him there was no finer exponent of the game of bowls in the Island. He more than once won the Manx championship, and in his most successful season he captured every first prize of importance in connection with the Douglas Bowling Club's fixtures. He had, too, a pretty knack of throwing a. fly in fashion alluring to trout, and his acquaintance with the trout streams of the Island was a most intimate one. Likewise, he was a capital shot, though for soma years before death he had practically given up the gun. Another of his hobbies was gardening, he having a very passable knowledge of the mysteries of horticulture. He had a keen appreciation of the humorous, and told a most excellent story like all good raconteurs, he was at his best when the story told against himself. He was well read, and being the possessor of an excellent memory, he could in interesting fashion convey the results of his reading to others. Good-natured and of a sunny disposition, he made hosts of friends, with the result that in Douglas and elsewhere in the Island there is much regret expressed that ha has been cut off at the comparatively early age of 37. Mr Colebourn married the only daughter of the late Mr Charles Udall, builder of the Railway and Villiers Hotels, Douglas. Mrs Colebourn survives her hushand. There are two sons of the marriage, both of whom are at school. Mr Udall, a brother-in-law to Mr Colebourn, who is resident in Canada, was on a visit to Roseleigh when his relative by marriage passed away. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon when a large assemblage of friends of the deceased followed the remains to their last resting place in Kirk Braddan Cemetery. The carriages of the Rev R. D. Kermode, Vicar of St. George's (who conducted the ceremony at the graveside), and of Dr Woods, preceded the hearse and mourning carriages. Mr Colebourn's two sons, his brother, and three of his brothers-in-law (Messrs James Kneen, C. Udall, and W. Udall) were the chief mourners. The coffin bore three wreaths from near relatives flowers from outside friends having been prohibited. The deceased was a member of Tynwald Lodge, and the W.M. (Mr W. J. Fell) and numerous members joined the procession. Among those present were the Mayor of Douglas (Mr Councillor Marsden, J.P.), Mr J. T. Cowell, H.K., Robert Clucas, J.P., Mr W. J. Kermode, Mr J. H. Clarke, Mr J. Johnson, Mr R. Williamson, Mr C. T. Cowell, Mr F. P. Johns, Mr W. Radcliffe, Mr A. Kitto, Mr T. H. Handley, Mr W. Newby, Mr R. Rcid, Mr Frank Newton, Mr H. Race, Mr E. Crecr, Mr J. S. Everard, Mr J. T. Hall, Mr J. P. Smith, Mf G. Hambleton, Mr G. Johnson, Mr P. Pedder, Mr T. Marsden, Mr H. Colvin, Mr S. Kewley, Mr A. Bawden, Mr J. Blakemore, Mr J. Craig, Mr H. Bregazzi, Mr Charles Fox, jun, Mr Percy Callow, Mr J. Bucknall, Mr A. E. Rothwell, Mr Stubbs, Mr W. R. Smart, Mr J. Worthington, Mr F. Moore, Mr Joseph Clarke, Mr W. Shimmin, Mr Claude Kneen, Mr S. Alder, Mr H. Rivers, Mr D. Coupe, Mr J. Hargreaves, Mr J. A. Sutcliffe, Mr Geo. Robertson, Mr W. Miles, Mr J. Russell, Mr R. J. Grindley, and many others.
Sir David Munro, whose personality was some thirty-five years ago both respected and feared in the Isle of Man, died at Falmouth on January 9th. After some service in the Army, Sir David Munro retired with the rank of Captain, and in 1874 was appointed by Governor Loch to succeed the late Captain George Goldie as Head Constable of the Isle of Man. Captain Munro proved a most energetic Chief of Police. He thoroughly re-organised the Insular force and placed it on the basis which it new occupies. As a result of his policy, the detection of crime and of minor offences against the law of the land became more effective, and evil-doers who fought against the new regime had for some years a very rough time. Capt. Munro also introduced the classification system in connection with the constabulary, and upon his recommendation, the minimum wage of members of the force. In April, 1878, Capt. Munro was appointed Chief Constable of Midlothian, and subsequently he was advanced to the high rank of Inspector-General of Constabulary for Scotland. Soon afterwards he received the honour of knighthood. A few years ago he retired on pension, and while taking his ease, he occasionally visited the Isle of Man, along with his wife and daughters, and stayed with Colonol and Mrs Freeth. Sir David Munro was succeeded as Head Constable of the Isle of Man by Colonel Paul, who resigned about 1888, and was succeeded by Colonel Freeth, the present occupant of the office.
We regret to record the, death of Mrs J. C. Looney, wife of the late Mr J. C. Looney (bank agent), which occurred on Feb. 4th, at Ballaquark, Bride, the residence of her brother, Mr Joughin, where she has resided during the, past few years. The deceased lady was the second daughter of Mr Daniel Joughin, of Ballaquark, and was well-known by a large circle of friends throughout the Island. She has been an invalid and confined to the house for some time, and the end, which was brought about by a stroke, was not unexpected, and came very peacefully in the early hours of Thursday morning week. Mrs Looney was a sister to the wife of Mr Thomas Craine, the chief clerk in the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. She was 57 years of age, and during her lifetime was an earnest Churchworker, ready to help and succour the suffering and those in trouble
The funeral of the late Mrs J. C. Looney, of Ballaquark, took place on Saturday afternoon, at Bride. Prior to the interment, a service was held in the Wesleyan Chapel, which was conducted by the Revs J. R. Ellis and R. Davidson, M. A. There was a large attendance of sympathisers in addition to the principal mourners. Amongst those present were several from Douglas, including Mr and Mrs T. Craine.
There passed away with startling suddenness, on Friday, March 5th, Mr Thomas Whiteside, who for many years was the Isle of Man District Superintendent for the Prudential Assurance Co. The deceased gentleman travelled to Port Erin on Friday afternoon to transact some business, and whilst in a friend's house he suddenly became ill, and before medical assistance could be procured he quietly passed away. His remains were removed to his late residence in Osborne terrace on Saturday evening. Mr Whiteside retired from the Prudential Company on a pension some seven or eight years ago, and since then had been living a quiet and retired life. No inquest was necessary, as Dr Wood, Albert-terrace, who was his medical adviser, gave the necessary certificate as to the cause of death.
The funeral took place on Monday afternoon, when the remains were conveyed from his late residence in Osborne-terrace to St. George's Churchyard. The deceased gentleman's two sons are abroad, and the only chief mourners were Mr and Mrs Scott (son-in-law and daughter) and Miss Cannell, of Port Erin. The deceased was all his life an active member of the Masonic fraternity, and a large number of the brethren followed the hearse, including the Rev J. H. Cain, and Messrs J. L. Dixon, A. B. Crookall, Mark Carine, F. C. Poulter, G. H. Borne, J. H. Cubbon, W. J. Fell, S. T. Shippam, A. H. Brittain, F. Edmondson, W. H. Quayle, J. Corney, J. D. Livesey, R. Quayle (Tynwald Lodge) ; Messrs A. H. I'ayle, Harry Wood, W. J. Kelly, .J. Cowley, G. F. Waddington, F. Windsor, A. H. Robinson, and the Rev G. E. Craven (St. T'rinian's Lodge) ; Messrs S. Taylor and A. B. Mackenzie (Spencer Walpole Lodge) ; Messrs G. A. Thomason and J. Ritchie (Athol Lodge). Others in the cortege were the Rev R. D. Kermode, Messrs M. M. Bridson, G. Starkie, J. E. Coupe, George Robertson, S. K. Broadbent, D. Evarard, R. Curphey, P. Sutherland, S. Cannell, Dr. Wood, etc. The funeral service in the church and at the graveside was conducted by the Rev T. A. Taggart, vicar of St. Matthew's. Mr G. J. Burtonwood presided at the organ, and played the " Dead March " at the close of the service. The deceased was buried with his wife. Mr J. J. Spence was the undertaker, and Mr R. H. Collister supplied the carriages.
A son o£ Mr Thomas Lewin, of Baldrine, who, died on January 26th, is thus referred to in the columns of the " San Francisco Call " :
John J. Lewin, Stanford Electrician, Who Died.
Lighting Expert Called by Death.
Palo Alto Man Introduced Incandescent Illumination in California.
Jolen J. Lewin, one of California's fore-most electricians, who died last Sunday afternoon at his homo near San Jose, will be buried a t Los Gatos to-day. Lewin had a host of friends among all classes of people throughout the central part of the State, and his family is receiving many messages of condolence.
For 10 years the deceadent was electrician of Leland Stanford university, and at the time of his death was city electrician of Palo Alto. To him is credited the introdution of incandescent lighting in California. He was recognised as a man advanced in his profession, and at the time of the wedding of Miss Theresa Fair and Hermann Oelrichs he was called upon to install all the elaborate lighting for that event.
The deceadent was born on the Isle of Man 49 years ago. He leaves a wife and four children Mrs R. J. Fletcher, of San Rafael, Miss Myrtle Lewin, Miss Mona Lewin, and Miss May Lewin.
During the early part of April came the news of the death, at Geelong, Victoria, on Wednesday, February 24th, of Mr John Keown, formerly of Peel, at the ripe age of 83. It is 55 years since he, with his wife, who was the eldest daughter of the late Mr Thompson, baker, of Castle-street, Peel, left the Island. They sailed in the Oliver Lang, from Liverpool, and after a long voyage landed at Melbourne, then but a small place. After trying his luck at the gold-fields, he settled in Geelong, then a rival in importance of Melbourne, and soon became one of the leading builders and contractors in the town, many large contracts for buildings being successfully carried out. He retired from business about 20 years ago, but maintained an active interest in the Geelong Permanent Building Society, of which he was a director, and the Oddfellows' Friendly Society, in which he held at various periods all the important offices. He was a member of the Wesleyan or, as called there, the Methodist Church, and he and Mrs Keown were, the most prominent workers, and were instrumental in building and extending several churches. Perhaps there was no one more respected in Geelong than he was. His disposition was kind and gentle, and his religion was eminently spiritual as well as practical. He had the joy of seeing his two sons and two daughters all married and settled in Geelong, and was greatly beloved by numerous grandchildren and great-grand-children. The funeral, which took place on Thursday, February 25th, was attended by an immense concourse of people, representative of all classes, the line of private and public conveyances being a very long one, besides a. large attendance of Oddfellows. The coffin was carried by Messrs A. G. Trask, D. Prescott, T. Kendall, and A. Taylor. The pall was supported by Messrs H. Marsh, I. Champion, G. Prescott, T. Higgans, W. G. Miles, and Prosser. The Rev R. Kelly officiated at the house and grave. Messrs Richard N. Carbines and Son carried out the funeral arrangements.
The late Mr Keown was an uncle of Mr S. K. Broadbent, of the "Isle of Man Examiner," and grandfather of Mr Norman Nash, also of the "Examiner." Mr Broadbent was the guest of the deceased gentleman during his six months' tour in Australia some four or five years ago. Other relatives in Peel are Dr and Miss Faraker, and Mr John Keown, cousins. Mr Godfrey Thompson, formerly of Castle-street, Peel, is brother to Mrs Keown, who, although nearly as old as her late husband, still enjoys excellent health.
The oldest clergyman in the Isle of Man and possibly the oldest in England, passed away on Jan. 14th, in the person of the Rev Arthur Alexander Bridgman, Vicar of Lezayre. Mr Bridgman, who was 94 years old, was appointed to the vicarage of Lezayre about 30 years ago, and up to a few years ago he actively discharged the duties of the position. Ere he entered the Church, he was a midshipman in the British Navy, and was present at and participated in the Battle of Navarino. Probably he was the last survivor as far as the British Navy is concerned, of the men who, aided by the Russian fleet, utterly destroyed the Turkish fleet in the Navarino Bay over eighty years ago. The funeral took place at Lezayre on January 16th.
Wo regret to record the death of Mr John Caesar Kaye, which took place at his late residence, 13 North Quay, Douglas, on Dec. 8th. Mr Kaye, who was in his 81st year, was a son of the late Mr J. Kaye, chandler of this town, and he helped his father in the business, carrying it on until his retirement 15 years ago Although he had reached an advanced age his end was rather sudden, and he had been about a week before his death. Mr J. C. Kaye was a brother of Mr Alderman J. Kaye, and his son, Mr J. C. Kaye, is sub-editor on the staff of the "Manchester City News,"
Captain R. Collister, formerly of Craig-flower-road, died at Buffalo, N.Y., on Sunday last, at the age of 79, of heart failure. Captain Collister has been well known in Victoria for many years. He was a native of the Isle of Man, and came to this city about 33 years ago, and has since resided here until his departure a short while ago to Buffalo to consult a specialist.
Soon after his arrival here, Captain Collister was appointed inspector of hulls by the Dominon Government. That position he filled for over 21 years, and for a long time he was surveyor for the San Francisco Board of Marine under-writers until his retirement, a few years ago. In his capacity of surveyor he also inspected many lumber and coal vessels.
The late Captain Collister is survived by his widow, three daughters, and two sons, as follows: Mrs H. G. Downer, of Dawson; Mrs John Barnsley and Mrs H. C. Miles, of this city; W. H. R. Collister, manager of the Albion Iron Works, Vancouver; and J. R. Collister, of the firm of John Barnsley and Co.
Among a wide circle of acquaintances in this city the late Captain Collister was highly respected for his sterling qualities. Many will lament his death.
The body is being forwarded to Victoria and the funeral will take place upon its arrival. The date has not yet been fixed, the friends waiting until the exact day of the arrival of the remains is ascertained. " Victoria Daily Times," Oct. 27.
The funeral of the late Captain R Collister took place yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, from the family residence, Craigflower-road, and later at Christ Church Cathedral. There was a. large attendance of sympathising friends present, and a large number of beautiful floral offerings were sent, which showed the esteem in which the deceased was held. Rev Canon Beanlands officiated at the church and cemetery. The following acted as pall-bearers: Captain Gaudin, Captain Cox, P. R. Brown, J. A. Thompson, Richard Hall, and J. Jeffcott. " Victoria. Daily Times," November 2nd.
The late Captain Collister was a son of the late Mr William Collister, Corvalley, Howe, Port St. Mary. Upon his resignation of the Marine Surveyorship, four years ago, Captain Collister visited his native home, where he was the guest of his nephew, Mr W. E. Collister, Hillside. During his stay of about two months, he renewed many acquaintances of his youth.
Mr John Joseph Bacon, late Captain 95th Regiment, son of the late Major Cæsar Bacon, of Seafield, Santon, died suddenly, on Tuesday, March 9th, at Onchan, where he resided. The deceased gentleman, who was 71 years of age, was out walking in the afternoon, and was seen to fall. He was assisted to his lodgings, but expired shortly afterwards. Mr J. C. Bacon, captain of the parish of Santon, is the only son of deceased. Capt. Bacon's wife died some two years ago. Deceased was born on December 16th, 1837, and after being educated at King William's College and Sandhurst, entered the army. On his retirement he resided in Castletown and Santon. His father left his estate to trustees to pay deceased a certain income during life. No inquest was necessary, Dr Blore's certificate as to the cause, of death having been returned.
The death occurred on Friday, Jan. 15th, of Mr Thomas Qualtrough, butcher, of Cumberland House, Port St. Mary. He had been in failing health for some two years. Mr Qualtrough was widely known, and was in. his 78th year, having been in the butchering business in Port St. Mary for about half-a-century. He is survived hy two sons and two daughters, the sons being Mr Thomas Qualtrough, of Liverpool, and Mr Ambrose Qualtrough, H.K. The interment took place on Sunday, January 17th.
Mr William Kelly, of Parville, Arbory, died on Thursday, Jan. 14th, after a brief illness. Mr Kelly, who was 79 years old, was a native of Ireland, but came to the Island in his boyhood. He had great force of character, and being both able and industrious, he, while still a young man, laid the foundations of considerable wealth. He early in his career started business as a jobmaster, hackney carriage and stage coach proprietor, and livery stable keeper. The headquarters of his business the most extensive of its character. ever conducted in the Isle of Man was the Imperial Yard, now the engine works of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co., but he had branches in other parts of the town. At one time Mr Kelly in connection with his business maintained close upon 200 horses. He retired about quarter of a century ago, having amassed a large fortune, and since then he has resided in various parts of the Island, though for many years he was settled at Parville. While resident in Douglas, Mr Kelly took a deep interest in public affairs and was for many years a. member of the Douglas Town Commission. He was a member and liberal supporter of the Primitive Methodist body, and was one of the founders of Loch Parade Church. Thirty years ago he took a prominent part in temperance work in connection with the Manx Union for the Promotion of Temperance, and often spoke at the Union's public meetings. In the prime of his manhood he was a superb horseman and fine athlete few amateurs were his equal with the gloves. He was, too, a remarkably fine billiard player, and to the end almost he retained his interest in the most fascinating of indoor games. At the time of his death Mr Kelly was chairman of the Isle of Man Steam Saw Mill and Timber Company, Limited. He was one of the chief founders of the Manx Bank, and was chairman of the board of directors of that institution from the inception of the bank to its fusion with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank. He was twice married, and leaves a widow and two children. The interment took place at Arbory Churchyard on Monday.
We regret to record the death of Mr Joseph Hall, which took place at his residence in Ramsey on January 27th. Up to thirty years ago, Mr Hall was a Bradford manufacturer, and on retiring from business he came to reside in Douglas. He took a keen interest in the affairs of the country of his adoption, and he played an important part in the civic life of the town, having been a member of the Town Commission for seven years, and a Councillor and Alderman of the Borough of Douglas for eight years. He was in 1899 elevated to the Mayoral chair. In his time few members of the Town Council were more respected or carried more weight than did Mr Hall. He retired from public life in 1904, on account of his failing health, and shortly afterwards he removed to Ramsey, where his wife died about a year ago. Mr Hall was 81 years of age.
The funeral of ex-Mayor Hall took place at Ramsey on Jan. 30th, and was largely attended. A number of Town Councillors from Douglas journeyed to Ramsey for the funeral. The Borough flag on the Town Hall, Douglas, was flown at half-mast during the funeral obsequies.
The death has occurred, at his residence in St. Mary's-road, of Mr Robt. Cannon, one of the oldest tradesmen in Garston. Mr Cannon, who was 58 years of age, was a native of the Isle of Man, and carried on business as a grocer and baker. For some time past he had been suffering from cancer of the stomach, and there was very little hope from the first. As a baker he gained a number of premier awards at London and Liverpool exhibitions, carrying off the gold medals and silver challenge cup award.