Port St.Mary Methodist Chapels

Originally two chapels existed - a Wesleyan chapel in High Street where the Garden of Remembrance now stands, the other, at the bottom of Loch Road, whose site is now occupied by a garage. New buildings were erected around the turn of the century: one in Bay View Road, sold in 1970, and the Mount Tabor church.

Port St. Mary High Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1835

Port St. Mary (High Street)

Site given free by Mr Gelling on condition building resembled one he had seen in Scotland with four corner spires. Built by Mr Harry Moore;
Used as Sunday School after opening of Bay View Road
Sold 1968 (1970?) - demolished to improve road layout; part of site turned into Garden of Remembrance 1975.

Grid Reference SC208681


K. Rodgers (ed) Our Heritage Memories of the Past in Rushen Book Three 1986 pp56

Port St. Mary Lime Street Primitive Methodist

PSM in use as a coal store

After closure used as coal store.


Port St. Mary (Bay View Road) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1895

Port St. Mary (Bay View Road)

sold 1970 and served as Baptist Church, demolished February 2000 as unsafe.

Grid Reference SC209679


Port St. Mary (Mount Tabor) Primitive Methodist Chapel 1903

Port St. Mary (Mount Tabor)

Designed by Todd and Morris, Architects, Southport. Incorporates Sunday School and ancillary rooms

Grid Reference SC209677


K. Rodgers (ed) Our Heritage Memories of the Past in Rushen Book One 1986 pp30/1

 Chapel Index


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 1999