Port Erin Methodist Chapels

Port Erin (Dandy Hill) Primitive Methodist Chapel I 1832

Land for the chapel was acquired in 1828. Opened July 1832; first preacher was Mrs Moss, her husband preached at the evening service

The seller of the Land was John Harrison, of Braddan.

Grid Reference SC196690


Trustees named on first deed (10 June 1828) were:
William Watterson, shoemaker
William Qualtrough, tanner
John Watterson, carpenter
Henry Shimmin, labourer
John Cregeen, weaver, Rushen
Henry Christian, labourer, Rushen
William Kneen, wheelwright, Rushen
Henry Cregeen, labourer, Rushen
James McCombe, Cartwright, Rushen
Thomas Shimmin, labourer, Rushen
John Cubbon, labourer, Arbory


Port Erin (Dandy Hill) Primitive Methodist Chapel II 1860

Port Erin (Dandy Hill II)
photo courtesy M Kelly - undated but possibly just prior to demolition?

The original chapel was rebuilt and served until Station Road was built in 1903. It was the only place of worship in Port Erin until 1880 when St. Catherine's Parish Church was built.

Was used as a Sunday School until 1963 when, following the opening of a new Sunday School adjacent to Station Road Church, it was demolished and the site built upon.

Grid Reference SC196690


A description of the second chapel can be found in The Primitive Methodist Magazine 1860 pp737/8:


Port Erin is a beautiful fishing port in the south-west of the Isle of Man; containing at present thirty-five houses and surrounded by a scattered population of about 2,000. This neighbourhood was visited by Mr. John Butcher, the first Primitive Methodist missionary to the Isle of Man and on the 10th of June, 1828, he purchased a piece of land at Port Erin, on which to build a chapel. For some cause the building was not commenced till 1832, when the Rev. James Moss and a few friends entered heartily into the work and built a neat little chapel. This sanctuary, for a long time, has been too small for the congregation. The roof also admitted wet, the rafters were decaying, and it was found necessary to have a new roof. The writer waited on W. Milner, Esq., of the Phoenix Works, Liverpool, and stated the wants of the society, when that gentleman suggested, that in addition to lengthening the building, the roof should also be raised a foot or two higher, and properly ventilated, the probable cost of which would be about £30, and he kindly proffered one half of the outlay. This gentleman, with his family have, for some years, in the summer months, located at Port Erin, and his care for the temporal and spiritual wants of the neighbourhood is well known on the island.

E. M. Gawn, Esq., of Kentraugh, having been waited on, kindly gave us ground on which to lengthen the chapel, and a donation of £5 towards the undertaking, and promised, if we would make provision for an infant school, he would give an annual donation towards a teacher's salary. Our state and prospects were again laid before W. Milner, Esq., and he prevailed on his sister Miss Milner, of Liverpool, to give us £50, and accompanied the cheering intelligence with a note, not to cramp the building for the sake of ten or twenty pounds, which sum, if needed, would be given by his wife and daughter. Our way now seemed clear to erect a commodious place of worship, and accordingly the ground was secured, 63 feet by 37, including the site of our old chapel. The building is in the Gothic style, built of stone, is 58 feet by 29, and is entered by a porch, 10 feet 6 in. by 9. The chapel has 10 windows with Gothic heads. At each corner is a pilaster projecting 5 inches, which is finished by a projecting corbel. The roof is of the best blue Bangor slate, projects at the sides, and is supported by ornamented brackets. There is a fireplace and flue in each gable, on the peak of which is an ornamented finale of stone, the smoke passing through its centre, and yet the appearance of chimneys is avoided. The chapel is good and substantial. The building in the inside is divided by a partition, a part being intended for an infant and Sunday-schoolroom. But in case of a large congregation, the school-room can be thrown open to the chapel by means of nine pannelled. boards, each 2 feet by 8. In the partition is placed a clock with two faces, one looking towards the schoolroom, the other towards the chapel. The clock is the gift of Captain Carey, of Castletown, the chapel has folding doors, covered with green baize. The chapel will seat 200 people, and when the school -room is thrown into it, it will seat 300 comfortably. We have ninety-nine seats in pews, which are all let; the remainder are free sittings. The ceiling is 18 feet from the floor. In six of the windows we have ventilating apertures, and also three ventilators in the ceiling. We have a neat platform, in front of which is the communion.

This house of prayer was opened for Divine worship on Sunday, 19th of August, when two sermons were preached by the Rev. E. Gatley (Independent), of Knottingly, Yorkshire. And on Sunday, September 9th, three sermons were preached, one in the morning, and one in the evening by the writer, and one in the afternoon by Mr. W. Corlett, of Douglas. The influence rested on the congregations, and the collections for the two Sabbaths amounted to £17 2s. 2½d. We desire to record our gratitude to Almighty God. for His many mercies, and to our very kind friends for their great liberality. The total cost of the building is £250, towards which we have raised £200. To God be all the glory.

M. Lewis,

J Lewis Dandy Hill - Port Erin Mmhsn09 p5 1989

Port Erin (Station Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel 1903

Port Erin (Station Road)

In 1901 a plot of land was purchased for 5/-. In October of that year the foundation stone was laid. The church opened 25 June 1903.

Designed by Mr William Clement Williams.

Grid Reference SC199690


Port Erin (Victoria Square) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1911


IoM Examiner reported opening on Feb 16th 1911;
Originally had spire which was demolished as dangerous 1983.
Closed 1973; now arts centre
A report on the finding of a 'time capsule' (IoM Examiner 5 Feb 1997)

Grid Reference SC


K. Rodgers (ed) Our Heritage Memories of the Past in Rushen Book One 1986 pp30/1
A Tour Around Port Erin and Environs 1995 MMHSOC 22 pp5-7

 Chapel Index


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 1999