Knocksharry Primitive Methodist Chapel 1843


closed by 1929 and became Young Mens' Club and Recreational Hall. Sold as Private dwelling in 1953 since when considerably modified. In 1851 religious census shown as having 70 free and 40 other seats. 18 attended the afternoon service and 57 the evening. A Day School started in 1835

Grid Reference SC276857

Information received from present owner indicates that in 1884 John Corjeag and John Cannon,were the surviving trustees of an indenture between William Wood and wife Ann, and Robert Quayle to John Edward Kermode, John Caine, Thomas Cowan, John Corjeag jnr, Thomas Kelly, John Preston, William Kelly, Thomas Garrett and John James Kelly by which part of field known as Croft Hommey (? Croit Hommey or Tom's croft) was sold on which was to be built a Chapel or School or Meeting House. According to this source a chapel was built 1884 - however this does not tie in with other information - it is possible that the 1884 agreement was merely a transfer of trusteeship and recited an earlier deed ?

An indenture dated 12 April 1843 between William Wood + wife Ann (als Moore) who sold for £1 to Robert Quayle part of field called crotthommy lying alongside the high road leading from Kk Michael vilage to Peel 15 yards along road 9 yards back. Other trustees Edward Kermode, John Shimmin, James Cowin, Philip Fargher all of Kk German, Thomas Skillicorn, John Cannon, John Corjage [sic Corjeag] + John Rodgers (all of Kk Michael)

 Chapel Index

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 1999